[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG Aether Revolt Spoilers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 33

File: darkintimations.jpg (46KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
darkintimations.jpg
46KB, 265x370px
Didn't see a thread in the catalogue, so let's get today's spoiler thread started.

Bolas Walker card confirmed for Amonkhet. Thoughts?
>>
File: battleatthebridge.jpg (48KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
battleatthebridge.jpg
48KB, 265x370px
Also, Convoke but for artifacts.
>>
File: disallow.jpg (47KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
disallow.jpg
47KB, 265x370px
>>
File: piasrevolution.jpg (55KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
piasrevolution.jpg
55KB, 265x370px
>>
File: heartofkiran.jpg (32KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
heartofkiran.jpg
32KB, 265x370px
>>
>>50561445

...Is it just me, or does that look like the Weatherlight?
>>
>>50561424
>Easier to cast voidslime
Noice
>>
>>50561404
>Bolas Walker card confirmed for Amonkhet. Thoughts?

It was a given, but I'm still not used to seeing things like "A Bolas Planeswalker Card" on other cards.
>>
>>50561432
getting real Communist vibes here.

are they really going to Lionize Communism like so many others?
>>
>>50561445
Is this Weatherlight II: Jacetice League Boogaloo?

Is Rosewater finally going to reek his bloody vengeance on the world for being forced to cancel Weatherlight Saga early?
>>
File: It begins.png (45KB, 163x196px) Image search: [Google]
It begins.png
45KB, 163x196px
Why does each have the planeswalker watermark? Is it because of the story spotlights?
>>50561487
>it begins
>>
>>50561505
If anything, the resistance lead by Pia is anti-communist.
The Consul dictates who gets what and how much, and makes sure to spread everything "evenly and fairly" among the populace. (the rich and/or powerful get more, as always)
>>
>>50561498

Its wording that shows up in the new planeswalker duel decks. "A Chandra Planeswalker card", "A Nissa Planeswalker card", etc.
>>
>>50561524
Yea, the Planeswalker watermark are those "story highlight" cards - they wanted to denote the cards that are key points in the story to people who play the cards but don't read the lore.
>>
>>50561505
The Consul is already pretty much a parliamentary communist governing body isn't it? Seems more like Pia's got a White Rose Society thing going on.
>>
>>50561413
That's pretty bad fucking wording that will confuse a bunch.
>>
>>50561582
Yea, it doesn't look good. They copy-pasted the new text from the Convoke re-do in the recent core set, but they had to adapt around things like mana rocks, and that makes it a bit awkward.
>>
>>50561432
Wew.

Guess it's time to upgrade Ye Olde RB Artifact Deck.
>>
>>50561413
>Ensnaring bridge reprint confirmed
>>
>>50561445
Wasn't Kiran Chandra's pops?

He didn't have position of power, right? He was just some rebel artificer.
>>
>>50561445
>>50561487
>>50561520
It should have crew 5 for each pw.

About the cards, not enough to get me hype.
>>
>>50561658
Yea, Kiran was Pia's husband and they're Chandra's parents.
They were artificers out in the rural areas, and it seems that Kiran's been killed and Pia's started a revolution against the Consul's rule.
Hear of Kiran is probably the resistance's flagship, like how Skysovreign is for the Consul.
>>
>>50561688
>>50561432
I was kind of assuming that the "aether revolt" would refer to the aetherborn leading a revolt. Think about it - they're the most inherently disadvantaged group on Kaladesh. They generate spontaneously, they're literally unwanted, they have no families to raise them or inherit property from, nobody trusts them, and they really don't have the time or the incentive to put up with anyone else's shit.
>>
>>50561487
>>50561520
It looks nothing like the Weatherlight other than the fact that they're both airships.
>>
>>50561795
If you take off the sails and the "spines" and cover up the deck, I can kinda see it.
>>
>>50561818
>if you do this, and this, and take away half of it, it KINDA looks like it
ah yes, definitely worth saying then
>>
>>50561520
Just wait until some old, still alive Captain Sisay shows up to fly it

I mean they're totally gonna stick Rashmi's planeswalking device on it eventually
>>
>>50561841
How long has it been in game years since Invasion cycle ended, anyway? It's got to be hundreds or thousands of years, because that postwar period includes Mirrodin's entire life cycle.

In contrast, the entire new-planeswalkers era (from Lorwyn to now) has been maybe ten years at most because Chandra's mom is still alive and looking pretty good.
>>
>>50561748
I thought the whole deal with the Atherborn is they live a life of luxury for however long they're able to hold themselves together.
>>
>>50561841
>Implying Captain Sisay isn't a 'Walker now too
Haven't you heard? Anyone that isn't a Planeswalker has to be a secondary character, even when they're more interesting than the main characters.
>>
>>50561890
With what? They appear out of nowhere with nothing and connected to no one. Considering that they're all black-aligned, they're probably not even very nice to each other. They may live lives of hedonism with whatever little means are available to them (and it's hard to be a hedonist when you can neither eat nor fuck,) but surely the vast majority of them live in grinding poverty.
>>
>>50561748
>or inherit property from
Wrong. Aetherborn 'claim' a region where other Aetherborn are born and basically adopt the Aetherborn that form there, including leaving them all their stuff when they die.
>>
File: yahennisexpertise1.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
yahennisexpertise1.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
>>50561682
Reposting this baby then. This is gonna win games
>>
>>50561404
Doesn't trigger with elder dragon Bolas shit/10 wouldn't even consider in bolas themed edh
in all seriousness though, this would actually be great in a bolas edh deck if we're getting a new bolas
>>
>>50562004
>Stick an extra loyalty on Elder Dragon Bolas
>>
>>50561404
>>50561404
no new bolas PW card, just a reprint in Hour of Devastation and MaRo is going to say "Oh, I didn't know you guys wanted a NEW Bolas PW card, we'll make that when we reprint Damnation."
>>
>>50561445
>Heart Of Kiran

So I'm guessing Nissa-mom built this flagship, and in the story it will go really fast because Chandra heats the boilers or something?
>>
>>50562048
>we'll make that when we make Contraptions and Riggers

Fixed
>>
>>50561978
um, why? They're black-aligned. Giving out free stuff to strangers for no reason isn't really in their nature. Even if this setup was imposed on them by outside laws, it'd be really easy for an aetherborn property owner to deny that a given aetherborn generated in the right area to receive property (or for an aetherborn to sneak into a richer area and claim to be from there.)
>>
File: 1361547021552.jpg (6KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
1361547021552.jpg
6KB, 253x199px
>>50561413
>That flavor text

Phyrexia confirmed
>>
>>50561582
>That's pretty bad fucking wording that will confuse a bunch.

Seriously.

Pretty much anyone you as for an opinion of Convoke will say "It was kinda cool, but the reminder text was fucking awful"

...so they used it again
>>
>>50561520
It makes sense, to be honest. Think about it. Of the old cast, who do people remember the most? Urza. Why? Because he was a fucking planeswalker. Noone gave a shit about Gerrard.

It's so blatantly obvious now:
>Gerrard -> Jace
>Sisay/Hanna -> Chandra
>Tarngarth -> Ajani/Gideon
>Orim/Mirri -> Nissa
>Crovax -> Liliana

>>50561841
Only a matter of time when Karn will be written into the story.
>>
>>50562089
new karn is going to be only +3 instead of +4 because +4 was too much.
+3 karn, get advantage
-1 Karn to pilot Kiran's ship
>tfw still +2
>>
>>50561404

So this is Nicol Bolas's 'pseudo-Oath'?

I wonder if Tezzy will get one as well.

Maybe my retarded idea of "Nicol Bolas and the Dark Gatewatch" will come true and there will be one of these for each of his lieutenants.
>>
>>50562130
Tibalt gonna make his come back, baby.
>>
>>50562079

Yet that's exactly how the lore goes.
>>
>>50562079

Black isn't evil, and it still has things it wants or cares for.

Aetherborn want family, so they make one. And a legacy is a hell of a thing when you only live three years.
>>
>>50562142

Tibalt, Tezzeret, Garruk, Nahiri, Ghost Elspeth...
>>
>>50562079
Think a bit bigger dear, by receiving that donation you are giving those providing for you power. They grab you, provide for you and you do a few things for them in return because hay fair's fair and before you know it they own you.

It's just organised crime really, nothing totally out of the ordinary as a structure.
>>
>>50562151
Wanting family seems more green and/or red.

Aetherborn don't make family. New Aetherborn are born of aether nothing and older Aetherborn take them in so that their own 'legacy' can carry on and any money not spent on their death party doesn't leave their 'family'.

A 100% black character only acts in self interest without feeling anything for anyone else and doesn't care for anyone or anything else. That being said, it's not like there can't be B/x aetherborn and it's possible they're black/red but mostly black aligned.
>>
>>50562215

I really like what we've seen of Gonti, and I hope we see more of him and his robo-Aether pump heart.

I wonder if an Aetherborn sparked, would they be able to live off the Aether in the Blind Eternities?
>>
>>50562234
>A 100% black character only acts in self interest without feeling anything for anyone else and doesn't care for anyone or anything else

You can keep posting that, but it won't make it true.

A black character can care only about themselves and those close to them, or they could care about how their family/friends are treated because that disrespect reflects on them, or many other things.
>>
>>50562083
God I hope so. Only so that we can thin the Planeswalker herd out a bit.
>>
>>50562089
Gerrard is nothing like Jace. Hanna is nothing like Chandra and Sisay isn't particularly similar either.
>>
>>50561992
Who the fuck is Yahenni? and why should we care what he thinks
>>
File: 1349982508539.jpg (59KB, 334x372px) Image search: [Google]
1349982508539.jpg
59KB, 334x372px
>>50562294
>Ajani will never be forced to cut off Jace's head while being forced to fight for Elesh Norn
>>
File: tfw no gf.jpg (20KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no gf.jpg
20KB, 200x285px
>>50562234
>A 100% black character only acts in self interest without feeling anything for anyone else
I'm going to have to disagree with that just slightly. It's not like Lilianna being slightly bothered by plotting to kill Jace, Crovax being obsessivly in love with Selena, and Queen Vamp leading an army of Allies to save Zendikar and her clan were just accidents
>>
>>50561432
oh good, it's time for #blackpermanentsmatter the set

done with pandering to minorities, Wizards is trying to court traitors, unionists and Bernouts with LE QUIRKY ACTIVISM set

Can't wait to roll out my Boros deck and put rioters in their place
>>
>>50562301
>Didn't read the story
>Care about flavor text
Just choose one
>>
>>50562327
Wasn't the only reason Yawgmoth was black was because that was all that was available to him?
>>
>>50562327
>Lilianna being slightly bothered by plotting to kill Jace
I don't think anyone in the gatewatch is monocolored except maybe Jace
>Crovax being obsessivly in love with Selena
Crovax wants Selena
>Queen Vamp leading an army of Allies to save Zendikar and her clan
She can't leave Zendikar, if the Eldrazi destroy Zendikar, she dies.
>>
>>50562352
It's the only mana naturally on Old Phyrexia. Dunno about when he was still Yawgmoth Baxter, Frontier Physician. He was pretty violently opposed to abusing magic when he was human wasn't he?
>>
>>50562352
pretty much from what I remember. His philosophy was more aligned with White.
>>
>>50562345

Why are you so shit? What possesses a man, to make him submit such a post?
>>
>>50562420
/pol/
>>
>>50562400
>"You don't really know how powerstones work. You've created a whole city that relies on an energy source you do not understand. 'Magic!' you say. 'It's magic!' Oh, how clever. And then when the magic fails, you simply say, 'It must have been more magic!'"
Maybe just a little.
>>
File: 7959_200w.jpg (23KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
7959_200w.jpg
23KB, 200x285px
>>50562380
>I don't think anyone in the gatewatch is monocolored except maybe Jace
But everyone on the Gatewatch has only been represented as mono-colored in their Walker forms.

>Crovax wants Selena
I'll concede that the relationship was far from healthy, but even before he became Evincar Crovax was deeply attached to her. Whether you want to interpret that as actual love or as a need to possess something perceived as pure and perfect in contrast to his own cursed nature is up for debate, but learning that she turned on him and the Weatherlight crew was enough to cause him to fall into crippling despair. And before he was cursed fully, Crovax willingly joined and befriended the Weatherlight crew, and refused to bargain with dark forces for power.
>She can't leave Zendikar, if the Eldrazi destroy Zendikar, she dies.
But that alone doesn't explain why she dispatched members of her brood to aid humans. You could argue that it's just pragmatism, but I distinctly remember at least one bout of flavor text from Drana stating that the Vampires have to help mortals to save the world.
>>
>>50561413
Holy shit this looks fucking per-

>Sorcery

God damn it.
>>
>>50562420
Being a nerd is cool now so him and all his edgy friends moved on to the next group for outcasts (fake neonazis and ultra-right conservatives).
>>
>>50561877
About five hundred or so years.
>>
>>50562083
>Bolas wants to use Phyrexia as his own personal army
>Uses the gate stolen from Kaladesh in Amonket
>Amonket is all about Bolas trying to enslave New Phyrexia

PLEASE
>>
>>50562234
>A 100% black character only acts in self interest without feeling anything for anyone else and doesn't care for anyone or anything else.

Self interest and selfishness are not the same thing. Black can have things and even people it cares about and it is fully capable of going against its own self interest to protect these things. All colors can be have people and things they value, what matters is why it values these things and how it treats them.
>>
Seizing all the inventions makes it seem like that's the reason Tezzeret was there. But in that case, why is he still hanging around?

I wonder if it's just to fuck up Jace and Lili, and Bolas will turn up because he's late as fuck.
>>
>>50561413
This is it. This is the mechanic where they'll fuck up and make something broken for Affinity.
>>
>>50562568
Sorry, only one good removal instant per block.
>>
>>50562301
Probably one of the worst lore stories written yet.
>>
>>50562400
Use to let plagues go on random races for study.
>>
>>50561992
>Only -3/-3
>Not an instant
>Doesn't give the free spell flash

Worthless
>>
File: ratigansmile.jpg (22KB, 610x358px) Image search: [Google]
ratigansmile.jpg
22KB, 610x358px
>>50562653
>I haven't ready any of the books or flavor articles older than one year
That's precious.
>>
>>50562685
You're casting the spell as part of the card's effect, flash is irrelevent.
>>
>>50562721
The point I'm trying to get at is that you cant save that spell for later. You cant cast Yahenni's Expertise and then hold that free spell to use at a later time in the turn.
>>
>>50562683
So either Black or a particularly cruel Blue?

>>50562685
It doesn't matter if the other spell has flash, it's being forced to cast as a part of Yahenni's Experticse's effect
>>
>>50562130
>So this is Nicol Bolas's 'pseudo-Oath'?

It's a shittier version of his Ultimatum, because that was meta-defining while this is bin fodder.
>>
>>50562688
Seems like you were the one not ready.

Also I've read more magic novels then you have braincells. ;)
>>
>>50562740
"Than" not "then"

Unless reading Magic novels is somehow granting the other Anon brain cells.
>>
Wait, we are back to convoking, but with artifacts?
Affinity treasure incoming!
>>
>>50562561
I don't believe for a second that the characters themselves are monocolored. Yeah, their cards are all monocolor but the lore discussion isn't about the game.

I don't believe Tamiyo is WUG but there she is costing a full Bant.

Drana doesn't care because she knows her vampires and the rest of the allies need to work together to save Zendikar. If she doesn't tell her vamps to work with the allies, she dies.
>>
>>50562627

Because he has no way to transport all of the inventions with him. He can learn a lot fro them, and put them to incredible uses, but he needs time to study them.

If he can figure out how to perfect the transporter rings, through, he can fuck off to another plane with the best of the inventors fair and just spend the next year teching up/getting absurdly rich and powerful on basically any plane.
>>
>>50562841
Jace was almost printed as azorius and was designed to represent the guild, it just didnt make sense for them to break the cycle so they bent the color pie. Watch maros podcasy
>>
>>50561432
Pia is white now
>>
>>50562841
Are we talking about Color Philosophy in pure lore terms and not in relation to a card's color identity then?

In that case the only people I know of that embody a pure Black mentality are the Evincars, Purraj, most demons, and a few Kami.

Likewise Eldmari's need for vengeance and quest to overthrow the Rathi would come into conflict with Green's mentality of unity and acceptance of fate, and Avacyn's (former) compassion for the wolfir would interfere with White's need for conformity. I don't think it's even possible to create a decent character with a full fanatical devotion to every aspect of their Color's philosophy.
>>
>>50562857
He brought the mox opal from mirrodin to kaladesh and used to be an interdimensional smuggler. He knows how to planeswalk things
>>
File: 1474612050496.jpg (98KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474612050496.jpg
98KB, 600x800px
>>50562685
Are you high??
>>
>>50562971
>Hound_Rogue_With_Reach.png
>>
Almost every card spoiled so far has some kind of older ability on it. This seems weird.
>>
>>50562994
Gonna need someone to shop a Rhapsody shirt and a guitar on him.
>>
>>50562994
>Inb4 whining
This is shitty intro-deck Tezzeret, not the Tezzeret that will be in the set.
>>
File: teezie.png (177KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
teezie.png
177KB, 265x370px
>>
>>50562999
How's that any different than generic "Kicker but not really Kicker we don't call it that anymore" ability that happens almost every block?

Kaladesh is just a rehash of abilities without using the names. Affinity (Gearseeker Serpent), Landfall (that one shitty green rare that makes energy), etc.
>>
>>50563017
>target opponent loses life equal to the number of artifacts you control
Time to pull out Sculptor and Golem Forge.
>>
>>50563034

Hey, that shitty rare is a bomb in limited energy decks
>>
>>50562733
That would probably make it too good. I feel confident saying the card as it is now is likely going to see play, it hits too much relevant stuff and goes through the two primary resiliency effects in the game right now, Avacyn and Selfless Spirit. Hell, with Liliana it even kills Avacyn.
>>
>>50561992
Hm. Maybe brain in a jar will finally be relevant.
>>
>>50563063
Luckily were each allowed to have our own opinion. I think its not good enough. Its close but close does not cut it in my book.
>>
>>50562733
I know the power level is low right now, but you can't seriously think they'd give us a spell like that right after Collected Company rotated out.
>>
>>50561827
if Heart of Kiran = Weatherlight
then
Skysovereign = Predator

they may have different designs, but they both fulfill the same exact roles in the story.
>>
Quick question, how do aetherborn get their money?
>>
>>50563170
Organized Crime
>>
no energy cards spoiled yet

God I hope they didn't discontinue Energy already

Two parasitic sets is one thing, just one would be horrible
>>
>>50563193
I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>50563193
Energy should just be an evergreen mechanic. It would make all the stupid random-charge counters from here on out more streamlined.

They already don't test or give a fuck about eternal synergies so you can just go nuts.
>>
>>50563170
According to Yaheeni, they inherit it from their "families" then they invest like they don't get a shit because they really, truly don't.

Or organized crime

>>50563278
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22Charge+counter%22&v=card&s=cname
Some of these would be busted running energy over charge counters, but I agree.
>>
>>50561413

"You may tap any number of artifacts as you cast this spell. For each artifact tapped this way, its casting cost is reduced by 1."

Why doesn't it work that way?
>>
>>50561432
This with artifact creatures and athreos in casual could be fun.
>>
>>50563336
They decided to make convoke more newbie friendly and artifact convoke is worded the same way.
>>
>>50563336
They are trying to avoid confusion regarding manarocks.

"I tap Sol Ring and 3 swamps and cast Battle at the Bridge"

"What what do you mean you are doing 4 damage? You only taped 3 lands and 1 artifact"
>>
>>50563301
They don't need to retcon all charge counters, just don't introduce new ones
>>
File: 141.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>50563395
Charge counters serve a pretty decent purpose when the card needs to look at itself.
Stuff like "Remove a charge counter to power an effect" should use energy, definitely. But stuff like pic related would still be charge
>>
>>50563336
It used to.
But then they decided that they didn't like how that interacted with tax effects so they changed the way it worked into this mess.
>>
>>50562733
Are you fucking serious? Wizards prints a pseudo 1 mana board wipe that doesn't kill your Grim Flayers under certain circumstances, and you find room to complain?
>>
>>50563467
Yes. The current power levels are not to my liking. All I see are cards that could have been better but were intentionally gimped.
>>
>>50563506
But that card is pushed to shit and will definitely see Legacy testing if not play.
>>
>>50563522
HA. I doubt that. It may be used in standard because what the fuck else are they going to use but cmon.
>>
>>50563522
Okay, well, now you're just delusional.
>>
>>50562633
It's just weaker affinity, much weaker.
>>
>>50563550
Cast it, use it to cast Shardless Agent, cascade into Visions. 4 mana for a board wipe, 2/2, and 3 cards. That's dumb.
>>
>>50562931

Sure, but Planeswalking away with hundreds if not thousands of inventions? Many of which are things much too large for him to car by hand, like the Gearhulks of the Mana Vault?

He could make off with some choice techs, but he can't run off with everything without a planar portal, which is what he is really interested in right now.
>>
>>50561424

Still too slow for T1 or T2 decks. You just can't have a counterspell above 2 cmc
>>
>>50563447

>still no way to break this guy
>>
>>50562685
The second effect is LITERALLY: Flip a coin, if you win the flip, you win the game.
>>
>>50562971
You actually expect /tg/ to have any idea how to evaluate cards?
>>
>>50561992

This might not be enough to combat a few better decks

Affinity: You better crack this fast, before they kill you on turn 4

Junk: Goes tall, so you might only hit their Hierarch

Tron: Nope

Jund: You might help them out in the process with the discard, although you probably cleared the board. Goyf will probably live

Control: Irrelevant
>>
>>50563564
Cast it with a counterspell for the counterspell.
Second effect is "you win the game".
>>
>>50562568

I think snapacaster mage kind of makes the second line irrelevant. -3 isnt strong enough to take out a lot of problem creatures, and at 4 mana, fast decks like infect, affinity etc have already amassed a ton of threats that can be pumped above 3 toughness

If this was 1BB, and had the ability to cast a up to 2cmc spell, I'd consider it more
>>
>>50561445
>Gideon was perplexed
>The Consulate defences they'd have to breach were formidable
>Too formidable
>True, Jace managed to ingeniously outwit the Vedalken planeswalker and capture Skysovereign, the Consulate Flagship, but its immense firepower alone was not enough to breach Tezzeret's fortress
>Adding Heart of Kiran, the mobile rebel vessel headquarters named in honor of Chandra's father, to the attacking force would allow them to power through and save the world of Kaladesh from its own authoritarian nightmare
>But there was only one problem
>The Renegades were all dead, or down for the count
>And his planeswalker compatriots were busy at the Ninth Bridge, holding back Tezzeret in person
>He had one option left
>His huge muscles glistening and bulging, he lifted the Heart of Kiran and tossed it aboard Skysovereign
>Utilising a curious invention of the Kaladeshi natives they called Dukk-Teyp, he bound the two together
>And then, ascending onto the bow of Skysovereign, he himself crewed both air vessels
>At the same time
>>
>>50562999
Hey if they bring back banding just with a different name. I would be fine with it
>>
>>50563017

It's annoying that this is so similar to agent of bolas yet worse in every way basically
>>
>>50563818
I don't event want to imagine the wording they'd give to Banding after seeing how they worded artifact converge.
>>
>>50563870
it's the planeswalker deck walker, it's supposed to be shit
>>
>>50563885
>Your creatures can jump in front of arrows and provide basic triage care for each other! But only if they have the same job.
>>
>>50563603

Didn't a guy win the pro tour with 4 void shatters in the main deck, against an opponent who was also playing 4 void shatters
>>
>>50562301
>rich aetherborn throwing parties and shit
>rents a room to Nissa and Chandra because hospitality
>later wants to find out what happened to them
>meets a friend
>friend starts getting arrested for wrecking public property
>she yells at policeman
>kills policeman
>drains policeman's life
>later does the same when policemen try to investigate her house because she killed a policeman
>has now gone full punisher mode
>>
>>50563603
Nobody cares, Legacy. It's a Cancel at the power level it always should have been at for one extra mana. A real shame it's rare though, it could have easily been an uncommon and sold the set like hotcakes. Now only gamblers and card shops are gonna get a hold of them.
>>
>>50563891

Oh i see
>>
>>50563946
I think it's at rare because they want to keep draw-go control decks (which is the only thing this fits into, really) at a price that only players really invested (not casual / entry level players) into the game are comfortable with.
>>
>>50563336
I suppose it really depends on how the rest of the Improvise cards work

The way it's worded - that you first pay for any mana abilities then get to tap artifacts - makes me thing that all Improvise cards are going to have X in their cost, because otherwise the distinction wouldn't really be necessary
>>
File: c4rd4r7_cVNXxxMEvQ.jpg (2MB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_cVNXxxMEvQ.jpg
2MB, 1080x1350px
>>50563945
>She
They
Aetherborn are genderless because they look like this.
>>
>>50562734
He should have been white aligned
>>
>>50562589
>Enslave NP
>Implying he isn't trying to become the new Father of Machines.
>>
>>50563946

I don't know the legacy meta very well. It won't make main decks in Modern though

I do agree with your third and fourth sentence entirely. Sucks eh
>>
>>50564025
I'll believe you when I see a hole or lack there of.
>>
>>50564025
Sorry. In my defense, my first language isn't English and has no concept of a neutral grammatical gender for sentient beings, and I kind of operate from it. Yaheeni's characterisation is more female than male.
>>
>>50564025
From the flavortext on Yaheeni's Expertise, it's a female or a very effeminate male.
>>
>>50564025
>They
It.
>>
>>50564025
They refers to several being, anon. It's "it"
>>
>>50564085
No problem, and I can definitely see that, basically splashing perfume on themself and acting like it's their Sweet 16.

>>50564099
Reading Yahenni's first story, you're very right.

>>50564105
>>50564124
>It
They. It is for things that can't think. And singular "They" has been a thing since literally Shakespeare

>>50564068
I now want to commission porn of a clearly female aetherborn just to see how tumblr reacts to it.
>>
>>50564207
>implying tumblr really gives a fuck about mtg
>>
>>50564247

They bitch about a number of first world problems as is, I'm sure someone is up to the task
>>
>>50564247
Tumblr is basically reverse 4chan without a board system.
There are tumblr/tg/ tumblrs that do care and tumblr/pol/ that doesn't and it all gets mixed up because they can't tell the feminists to "Go back to /fem/ like we theoretically can with /pol/
The reason I know is because I use it for tumblr/aco/
>>
>>50564331
>The reason I know is because I use it for tumblr/aco/
No need to explain, Tumblr, 4chan and Reddit communities are overlapping anyway
>>
>>50564388
We must purge the halfbreeds.
>>
>>50563920
Pretty sure he's talking about non-standard formats
>>
>>50564423
Why ?
>>
>>50564570
They are impure. Their mentalities are already infected. There is no hope for redemption for them.
>>
>>50563946
Voidslime, Stifle and Trickbind are the only cards i know of that counter triggered abilities and are all rares.
>>
>>50564634
it's because the difference between triggered and activated is too complicated for any but the most hardcore of players, clearly
>>
>>50563017
Mycosynth lattice
>>
>>50564659
Given that stifle came out 13 years ago, it's probably not NWO's fault for once
>>
>>50564634
Yeah and I'm saying that's wrong.
>>
>>50563966
This reasoning is the reasoning that is killing MTG.

ALL playstyles should have viable decks that are sub 100usd in standard and modern. WotC should be doing EVERYTHING they can to ensure this.
>>
>>50563966
>Let's price out casual players from mechanics!
>That'll make them more invested!
>>
>>50561520
>>50561445
>>50561795
I remember this exact conversation when Skysovereign was spoiled.
>>
>>50564749
>>50564778
From what I understand casual and new players dislike playing against drawgo control because it feels like they are not playing a game

It is why people are complaining about lantern contr despite being one of the more skill intensive and fascinating modern decks

By pricing the heavy control decks out wotc ensures not as many are played in standard fnms by mid- and highly invested players without a budget
>>
>>50564700
NWO only dictates complexity of cards at common nothing else

Blame development for being too afraid of strong cards that dominate formats
>>
>>50563550

That thing is going to see at least Modern play, since you can LE the shit out of it
>>
>>50563193
>>50563278

>Energy a evergreen mechanic.

I'd save so much money if they did that. Between shitty mechanics, and those ridiculous chase cards, WotC has broken my booster pack habit.
>>
>>50562089
Urza is remembered because he's an actual character with flaws.
That and fatguys tend to jerk over him the most
>>
>>50562248
Rules for planeswalkers say you have to be born naturally and have a soul. Aetherborn probably meet neither requirement.

Idea - if an Aetherborn essence drains a planeswalker maybe they could steal a spark? Or extinguish it?
>>
>>50565616
The wording is usually not "They have souls" but "they're alive"
Lorwyn flamekin are alive enough to have souls, and from what we've seen of Yahenni and Ghonti, the Aetherborn would definitely qualify on that front.
To continue, the biggest questions of "can they" is whether being "born of aether" counts as being born or created. Lorwyn's volcanoes erupting and spitting out Flamekin counts as birth so aetherborn now have a huge "maybe" to them.
>>
>>50564749
Why? Who sets the bar at 100usd? Why not 50usd? or 150usd? 100 is such an arbitrary number, the amount means very different things to different people.
>>
>>50565616
>>50565737
The requirements for having a Planeswalker spark are that the being has to be of a sentient species, and has to have been naturally born.
These are the reasons aetherborn cannot have a spark, because they are "created" in the aether refinement process on Kaladesh.
Much like how Angels and Demons cannot have sparks because Angels and Demons are created beings, not born naturally. (Ob doesn't count because he was originally human, and Karn is an exception on many levels, not the least of which being having an entire Plane inside him, travelling through time itself, and being from before the Mending)
>>
File: CF1GyQw.jpg (460KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
CF1GyQw.jpg
460KB, 1836x3264px
Got these in today lads.
>>
>>50561582
>>50562085

"When you are finished" sounds so much better than "when you're done"

that said, >>50561594 makes sense
>>
>>50567064
I don't have a problem with the first line, hints like that are fine and along the lines of "the land continues to burn".

I feel that "when you're done" sounds too informal. There is a very specific part to pay costs when putting a spell/ability on the stack and I just think players should just fucking learn that. It's not that fucking hard.

Yes, you can have something like Ghost Quarter target itself to kill itself and eat itself in the process and fail to kill itself because it's already dead. But who cares if that makes no sense, if you know the rule it makes perfect sense. Nothing in Magic need be confusing if people actually learned how the rules work.
>>
>>50567208
That's Magic's #1 problem.
People think they know how the rules work and thus don't feel a need to dredge through the faux-legalese to learn it. It's fine, they learned from someone who really, really knows.
It's never going to be solved.
>>
>>50567353
I am not a computer scientist.

But I know that Magic is like coding. We're all speaking English, but the words don't mean the same thing as when we're actually speaking English in a conversation. "Exchange", "When", "Target" and even punctuation are unique operations in this game.

And I know that if people had to face that reality to start out playing this game, this game would have nobody playing it.

But even then, I really do feel that there is very little to learn.

All you need to know is:
1) the phases and steps of the turn
2) how priority works
3) how to put a spell/ability on the stack
4) how Planeswalkers work (fucking worst necessity ever)

Like that's it. That's all you need to know and the rest you can figure out just by reading the card and memorizing what some keywords do

You don't even need to know how layers work - because how often does THAT come up.

I hate that Magic never gets better like you say. It's just ignorant-experienced players teaching new people who become a fresh crop of ignorant players. And it's almost predatory - dumb players don't know what good cards are and so they get sharked. Or they're told to buy garbage product/cards because that's how the people teaching them learned, which was the shit way.

I think I spent $300 on this game starting out that was utterly wasted on dogshit because I trusted the advice of "experienced" players.
>>
>>50561413
>battle on the big bridge
Gilgamesh confirmed for Aether Revolt
>>
File: girugamesh_guy[1].png (173KB, 630x374px) Image search: [Google]
girugamesh_guy[1].png
173KB, 630x374px
>>50567808
>>
>>50567552
You forgot one.

5) Layers
>>
>>50567808
Koth?
>>
>>50567839
The number of times layers matter are almost never - especially in Standard/Limited and even in Modern.

What I did miss is learning the most common state-based actions. And even that is somewhat irrelevant.
>>
>>50566053

Those don't look bad at all, but it's hard to top the big model of skysovereign from the Kaladesh prerelease
>>
>>50561424
>tfw finally have a way to answer triggers that isn't summary dismissal
I'm telling you, tower is going to be great after revolt
>>
>>50567979
If Yaheeli's Expertise is a Delirium player's 4th card type to hit the yard, it won't kill their Grim Flayer. That's the only place I can think of in standard where you'll run into SBAs mattering. Or casting a 2nd Ishkana with no creature type in the yard to get Delirium online and getting the ETB trigger because CBAs are performed before triggers go off.
>>
>>50568024
>play thing
>they spell queller it
>HA! Now I can counter you queller's ability!
>"...I queller your dismiss"

doesn't work.
>>
File: 1458361781934.jpg (106KB, 635x780px) Image search: [Google]
1458361781934.jpg
106KB, 635x780px
>>50568257
Just counter the queller itself, fucc boi.
>>
>>50568298
>In reponse to your Queller I'll Summary Dismissa- OH WAIT MY OWN SPELL FUCK
>>
>>50568319
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: AND LADIES WHO DRESS LIKE MEN.png (132KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
AND LADIES WHO DRESS LIKE MEN.png
132KB, 265x370px
>>50567808
>>50567827
over 2 minutes in ms paint
>>
>>50561424
As an Aetherflux player, I think this card is terrible and no one should play it.

at least it's not a redirect
>>
So any speculation on Yahenni's colors? I doubt mono-black as we already have Ghonti and Yahenni definitely has care for family and the benefit of others.

As strange as it may sound, I am hoping for Red/Black. Too often, those colors are portrayed as chaotic evil, but in Magic, we know that that doesn't necessarily have to be the case (See: all the mono-white antagonists). Being Aetherborn Vampire with life draining abilities obviously qualifies for black. But Yahenni cares about the rebellion and compatriots and acts on feeling and impulse (Red). So it would make perfect sense.
>>
>>50562922
What are Phyrexian praetors for 500, Alex
>>
>>50568319
>Summary Dismissal is the only counterspell
>>
>>50562400
>Yawgmoth Baxter, Frontier Physician

This is amazing.
>>
File: oath of yawgmoth.jpg (44KB, 400x315px) Image search: [Google]
oath of yawgmoth.jpg
44KB, 400x315px
>>50569005
I'd watch it.
>>
>>50568756

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept her monoblack, but if 2-colored, probably RB, yeah.

Or GB if it ends up fucking Nissa
>>
>>50568489
There is a four-mana redirect spell in Standard, though. Insidious Will.
>>
>>50561919
Not true. In the stories and implied in the cards, as well as directly said, alot of them are fucking rich and throw lavish parties all the time, if they are directly investing in some passing fancy.
>>
>>50562234
Want is the core of black and you don't get to decide what it is they want.
But what is very obvious, is that black is the color that most cares about it's interactions with others. Liliana wants eternal youth, Sengir wants the prevalence of his bloodline, Ob wants to have his enemies driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women, Sorin wanted ecological balance on Innistrad, Bolas wants his old power back. Athreos wants to herd dead souls, Erebos wants to collect valuable souls, Ashiok wants to collect powerful fears, Tezzeret wants to be admired. Everything black does is about itself within the context of the wold around them.

Red is the color thats memememememememememe and only interacts with the world in abstracts like "freedom" or "love", whenever it's not burning shit. Blue is also super selfish, it wants knowledge but doesn't care to share, teach or apply it, just to have it.

As usual the color wheel proves to be an incompetent mechanism for both storytelling and game design.
>>
>>50570605
since when is Red a selfish color?
Selfishness is clearly black.

At least that's what I think... As you said, the colorwheel is a clusterfuck.
>>
>>50561498
>>50561534
Also Haven of the Spirit Dragon
>>
>>50561992
What do you guys think about this with one of the cards from the ancestral vision cycle?
It certainly combos with Beck // Call.
>>
I can see grixis control becoming a big thing, especially if we see a nicol bolas walker in the next set. Shame that expertise can't get hit with gearhulk but that already hits enough stuff for it to be great.
>>
>>50566053
>The set symbol for kaladesh is an uterus.
>The banners for aether revolt are sperms.
I knew they had to have some tantra shit in india town.
>>
>>50570681
Black is selfish but knows a lot of the time you need to give in order to get.
Red is selfish in a way that it's feelings and passions matter, others don't, unless they involve a means for red to feel passionately about themselves.
Blue, as said before, often has absolutely no intention of sharing their accumulated knowledge.
And white is selfish by imposing it's morals on others.
Green is the most selfless, and even through the following of natural drives, the second it aquires sentience those drives become selfish, self-preservation, genetic preservation of one's own bloodline, territorial dominance, apex/keystone status. All are green pursuits.

Black is always such a fucking cartoon because only automatons can be selfless by lacking a sense of self. And even the most self-beneficial person eventually has to give in order to keep growing his net of gains, sometimes even helping people much more than any Selesnyan collectivist faggot ever would.

So yes, black would give up all their belongings after death just to have a family to carry out their legacy.
>>
File: 1480986873543.png (311KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480986873543.png
311KB, 480x480px
Is no one acknowledging the fact that Pia's Revolution plus arc bound might push affinity over the top and get it hit with a ban?
>>
>>50571644
>3 cmc enchantment that does nothing the moment it hits the board
It's shit for modern, legacy, and vintage.
>>
>>50571775
I don't know, I feel like the power behind it gets it past the whole "does nothing when it hits" argument.
>>
Disallow is going to feel so fucking amazing against UW
fuck your gideon ult nigga
>>
>>50563017
>not MASTER OF MAGNET
>>
>>50563572
yes, but that's not what he was saying. He's just saying that they will fuck up, push something too hard, and pop out something insane for modern affinity
>>
>>50562089
Gideon has the most in common with Gerrard. Jace has more in common with Hannah, and they both have a Sissay vibe. But I do think that is the direction we are going in, with Bolas and Phyrexia looming, and new ships flying around. Also, Karn is very obviously going to slot into the Urza role.
>>
>>50571775
Eh, kinda see why it might see some play. It blanks board wipes, and even spot removal. But over all I don't think it will make a big impact. Probably some sideboard tho
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (40KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
40KB, 480x360px
>>50563447
Actually, this guy would be kind of cool with energy. I mean, that shit is tracked on the player, right? So on one hand, all these dumb cards adding energy randomly are pretty cool, and theres this tension to spend it. I mean, there isn't any effect right now to do that, but imagine if there was.

>Pic related... maybe in another lifetime
>>
>>50571644
I am anon. A winmore card might do nothing, but it also could be just too much bullshit to deal with when youre facing affinaty.
>get boarded, swing with ravager all equipped to do big damage
>start feeding the ravager for bolts
or
>play 2 mox opals
>do i get this mox opal back or do you take 3, if i get it back you will die
>they take 3 and die next turn from a vault skirge because the damage is too real
>>
>>50561424
Pretty nice uncommon.
>>
>>50561432

Opal Mox will be banned for sure.
>>
File: xoqgoe9m7zxx.png (446KB, 1040x540px) Image search: [Google]
xoqgoe9m7zxx.png
446KB, 1040x540px
>>50561505
>>50561432
By the way you know she's red right? Communism is white.
>>
File: LEW DEMON GIRL FACES.gif (76KB, 417x417px) Image search: [Google]
LEW DEMON GIRL FACES.gif
76KB, 417x417px
>>50561432

>Pia's Revolution
>Mox Opal

Nice, now Affinity can sideboard Grapeshot.
>>
>>50572828
this card was made to ban mox opal from modern
>opal is its own sac outlet
>if they dont take 3 you get infinate mana
this is also the harshest browbeat style red card they have printed yet....
>>
>>50572828
That would hit lantern control.
>>
>>50572860
your arcbound ravager will do the storm count for you, no need to dilute a good deck anon.
>>
>>50572883
Bonus!
>>
>>50561505

For fuck's sake, have you been paying any attention to the lore?

Kaladesh is a communist state. The uprising is against the state dictating how much energy everyone gets (and the other police state bullshit, but MOSTLY the energy thing).
>>
>>50572896
>even wizards hates commies
noice
>>
>>50572883
So now mono red will become the esnaring bridge color
>>
>>50572895
Bonus? It's almost like you find playing against lantern control miserable.
>>
>>50563602
You don't know how planeswalkers work do you

They don't lug around all these creatures and and artifacts n sheit
>>
>>50572916
Why? What does mono red have that goes with the bridge?
>>
>>50572950
pithing needle, simian spirit guide, koth and newest chandra.
>tfw you get a turn 2 chandra and turn3 bridge
>>
>>50572972
Koth and new chandra (and maybe some of those other cards you said) already go in skred red.
>>
>>50572990
i forgot blood moon, its better than skred because you dont need to care about turning off your scrying sheets.
>>
>>50573018
blood moon goes in skred too. Turning off your own scrying sheets is a trivial cost to pay for turning off your opponent's mana base.
>>
>>50572883
I see no downside.
>>
>>50573069
Yeah, and beating them to death with mountains on turn 7 is fine without wasting slots for skred and scrying sheets. You cant play a turn 1 bloodmoon and gain advantage in skred while you can in the bridge deck.
>>
>>50573096
Different guy, but is there something I'm missing? Lands won't lose their Supertype so I'm unsure as to why running snow lands is literally anything but helpful?
>>
>>50573256
Scrying Sheets turn into normal Mountain with no ability other than T:R when BM is out.
>>
>>50573256
no need to play skred and snows, if you cant be hit by big dudes why bring removal. The bridge almost completely protects you from creatures and you go empty handed by turn 2/3. You really just dont need it and rather would have the needles to keep then from getting around your bridge with abilities/walkers.
>>
>>50573283
It will still remain a Snow Land, just not a basic one. Supertypes aren't overwritten with Blood Moon, so Skred wouldn't be affected.
>>
>>50573323
m-muh skred tho

how am I supposed to shit on nerds without skredding my minotaur wizards
>>
>>50573478
Shock them to death with chandra and sit behind your impenetrable shields
>>
>>50573478
By spreading skredding Swans of Bryn Argoll?
>>
>>50573575
I don't know why I put the word "spreading" there. Ignore it.
>>
>>50573575
I wonder if swan skred bridge is a deck

cockatrice ho!
>>
do my thinking for me /tg/, give me the short answer

Has anything been spoiled for junk modern or for UG Ezuri EDH?

or god forbid, affinity
>>
>>50573645
Yes
>>
>>50563603
I know what you're trying to say but you're doing so in a really retarded way. The single most played counterspell in T1 has a cmc of 5.

Also, T2 is standard you retard. 3 cmc counterspells are fine in T2.
>>
>>50573680
When >>50563603 said T I thought he meant tier, not type.
>>
>>50573645
No

People shilling for Yaheeni's Waheeni have brain damage
>>
File: 3TLIfZB.png (412KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
3TLIfZB.png
412KB, 970x545px
>>50561404
>all these cards that mention planeswalkers now

HASBRO YES
>>
>>50573709
Well then he's still retarded because tier 1 decks in standard have historically been alright playing 3cmc counterspells and way back when control was a thing in modern (Definitely during original Innistrad, not sure if it survived to RTR block though) it played Cryptic Command as did Scapeshift and some variants of Twin.

As already discussed, the most played counterspell in legacy is cmc5.
>>
>>50573645
affinaty got things, depends on if they can find the room in the list for cuts.
>>
>ywn never leader a revolt against commies with your bae chandra
why even live
>>
>>50573771
you mean its cost is exiling a blue card and paying 1 life
>>
>>50573771
>the most played counterspell in legacy is cmc5.

Epic meme
>>
>>50573790
that's fucking fascinating and all, but last time I checked >>50563603 specifically said "counterspell above 2 cmc" and Force of Will still has a cmc of 5. If Chuckles the Wonderfaggot over there wanted to say that nobody in 'T1' or 'T2' (whatever the fuck those are supposed to be) ever spent more than 2 mana to play a counterspell he should have said so.
>>
>>50573799
Okay Chuckles, mind telling me what the cmc Force of Will is? Or are you claiming that there's another more prominent counterspell in legacy.
>>
>>50573836
Well you should use your brain and realize 99% of the time people aren't casting it for 5 mana. It's free, which is it's only claim to fame.

By your retarded neanderthal logic every counterspell should be seriously considered for legacy. It's cancel with a few more words.
>>
>>50564749
Just buy more money poorfag.

>>50573771
Force of Will is essentially free, sure it technically costs 5 but when are you ever actually paying 5?
>>
>>50573856
Force of Will could have 1000cmc and it would be played around the same amount

I don't even know what your retarded ass is even trying to prove. That every counterspell 5 mana or under is worth considering in legacy? Just fucking kill yourself
>>
>>50573836
>>50573771
>As already discussed, the most played counterspell in legacy is cmc5.
>but last time I checked >>50563603 specifically said "counterspell above 2 cmc" and Force of Will still has a cmc of 5
Literally KILL YOURSELF you subhuman sack of sperg shit. Your inferior brain lacks any abstract reasoning capability. You're a failed human, and nothing more. Die.
>>
>>50573711
>wipe your board draw 3
seems pretty decent anon
>>
File: 1480789470006.jpg (21KB, 389x336px) Image search: [Google]
1480789470006.jpg
21KB, 389x336px
>>50573836
>>50573856
>>50573771
>>
>>50573872
1) It's not 'free', if it was people wouldn't side it out against aggro. Force of Will costs 3UU or 1 life and a blue card in your hand. The card disadvantage you are putting yourself at means you don't want to cast FoW unless you are stopping your opponent from winning on the spot (combo of some sort) or you want protection so that you can win on the spot (tapping out for a wincon or your own combo). Rewind is probably the closest thing to a 'free' counterspell in the game. Pact of Negation is probably the other contender.
2) Show me where I said that this new spell is legacy playable? My only point was that the claim that "You just can't have a counterspell above 2 cmc [in T1 or T2 decks]" is wrong on multiple levels ('not knowing what T2 is' being the second level).
>>
>>50573946
>wipe your board

What board are you wiping in modern? Maybe a snapcaster mage and a scooze?

A 4 mana card has to be bonkers to be worth playing in any format that isn't standard. Muh magical christmas land of my opponent playing mono bears and I always have ancestral in my hand is pretty fucking retarded.
>>
>>50573966
lots of shit cant survive 3 damage, this is a better anger that can also remove big guys.
>-3/-3 the board and path the ravager
is that more realistic for you?
>>
>>50573886
There are actually a number of corner cases where you would rather pay the 5 mana than the alternate cost (topdecking during mid-late game being the most straightforward and common). Many of the people who casually brush it off as a free spell have played little if any actual games of legacy and just parrot what they hear about the format (this also applies to people who claim that legacy is a fast format that routinely wins on turn 1 or 2).
>>50573898
For all the dumb shits saying I lack any sort of comprehension or reasoning ability you sure are intent on inferring claims that literally no one in this thread has made.
>>50573919
>someone corrected me on a rules mistake for a trading card game
>they should kill themselves
and I'm the sperg huh?
>>
>>50561542
The creative team is desperately trying to appear to be relevant.
>>
>>50573966
Naya burn, abzan company, dredge, any taxes deck that isn't eldrazi, and affinity are all hit by it. It's got a bit wider scope than snapcaster and a scooze.
>>
>>50573997
>better anger

Anger's call to fame is it exiles. Yaweenis doesn't. Also there is a big difference between 3 mana wipe and 4 mana wipe. Not many decks even run the best 4 mana wipe of Damnation or Wrath of God because that just comes too late.
>>
>>50574024
>turn 4 against burn, affinity, dredge or company

You probably

A. Already lost

or

B. Would have been served better by just playing Anger
>>
>>50574034
They dont run damnation because its 90 dollars, i can play a lotv after a boardwipe with this card, who cares unless its against dredge about shit comming back if i can lock down the game with a boardwiping walker
>>
>>50574024
Affinity is a tossup since nexuses aren't creatures yet and if they have a ravager in play they just sac their smaller dudes to give the ravager 4 or more toughness. It can do work against slower affinity starts (etched champion, vault skirge, steel overseers that haven't gotten to activate yet) but will not do much work against more aggressive starts even assuming you get to turn 4.

I'd also point out that it does pretty significant work against infect. Again, Inkmoth survives but everything else either dies or forces your opponent to burn a pump spell.
>>
>>50563591
Not to mention you can cast Visions directly off of Expertise. Four mana to wipe the board and draw three is already good.
>>
>>50574055
>people don't play a card in $MODERN$ because it's too expensive
>>
>>50574055
well i guess the bear market that came from mm3 retailer leakes has dropped all modern prices in half....
>>
>>50574052
Well if you don't do anything until turn 4 you will lose against anything. I'm assuming you've been disrupting the game slightly so far, but there are still some threats on board.
>>
>>50574055
>who cares unless it's against dredge about shit coming back
Off the top of my head, Voice and Finks. Matter Reshaper as well if Eldrazi is still a deck. It's not always about things coming back so much as it's about avoiding death triggers.

And damnation being 90 dollars would only impact deckbuilding at non-professional levels of play. Damnation doesn't appear in [many] modern decklists even at the highest level of play where the players are all sponsored and don't have to spend a penny on their decks.
>>
>>50574112
leyline does that for black anon
>>
>>50574186
Mainboarding leyline is pretty questionable as it's a mostly dead card in a number of matchups. Anger is nice because it acts as cheap boardwipe that you could maindeck against basically any primarily creature based deck and has the upside of stopping graveyard shenanigans all on one card.

In order to efficiently deal with a finks/VoR you would either need:
1 anger of the gods
1 yahenni + 1 leyline
By simple math you're more likely to have the first option than the second.
>>
>>50574266
or you could play a kalitas then next turn cast yahennis and get zombies and a free 3 cmc spell. Being able to play a 4 drop, a 3 drop, and hold up counter mana on turn 5 is pretty good
>>
>>50568454
See, your filename game is on point but you could have done so much better slipping some shit in on the card.
>>
>>50573771
>>50573680

I should've just typed 'tier 1' I see

and I'm referring to Modern and Legacy. I don't play standard
>>
>>50563966
>>50564749
That's not why things are rare (or other rarities). Things go into common, uncommon or rare/mythic rare based on how they are in limited, with the exception of planeswalkers which are always the highest rarity (currently mythic). The deciding point of between if something (that is not a walker) is a mythic or not is how it 'feels'. This not only means how powerful a card is in limited, but how complicated.

New World Order, which means keeping the game simple enough to play. This pretty much boils down to keeping cards with the rarity "common" and board states (especially in limited) simple enough that you can decide if you want to attack with creatures that don't have evasion without a judge being called for slow play. I'm not entirely sure if a new player would know what a "triggered ability" is.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if somethings were forced into a rarity because they are part of a cycle.

One of the Principles of R&D is "We focus on growing Magic’s audience".
>>
>>50573836

>Chuckles the wonderfaggot

9/11 originality. Fair enough, excluding force of will then

T1 and T2 mean "tier". It's a thing, and you can find the rankings of decks on MTG salvation amongst other sites
>>
>>50573966

Absolutely this

4 mana better destroy the board (languish, wrath, damnation, supreme verdict) or put me in a condition when I can win in less than 2 turns
>>
>>50574055
>>50574034

4 cmc wipers are JUUUST fast enough, it's usually the cost. I don't want to make a deck that is equivalent to 2 full month's rent
>>
>>50575131
It's not a stated reason, but I'm fairly certain that Wizards do pay attention to how rarity and utility affect a card's price on the secondary market and ultimately its availability to various spending tiers of players. If a card's price on secondary market means it's only available to more invested players, that means you'll see less of it in more casual (aka. standard FNM) environments.

Cancel (and its variants) has very little utility in limited, and I'm not sure stapling a stifle onto it increases that utility. I'm going to go ahead and predict Disallow will not be a high pick in draft and a poor rare in sealed, much like Void Shatter was only situational in OGW limited. I might be proven wrong, of course, but it really feels like Disallow was placed at a high rarity just to decrease its availability.
>>
>>50574266

leyline is usually situational, being a hard counter to burn. Belongs in the side until needed
>>
>>50575131
tl;dr
I think you're wrong about keeping trying to keep it out of the hands of casual players, but you might be right about trying to keep it out of the hands of entry level players.
>>
>>50575195
I thought cancel was usually main-deckable in (base-blue) sealed decks.

WotC likes to keep prices low enough so people can actually afford to play the game. That said, they do have other concerns that often take priority. For example, not reprinting cards that are on the reserve list is a top priority (except in MTGO). They also said re-printing Thought Seize to help modern out was a mistake because it warped standard.
>>
>>50575236
>I thought cancel was usually main-deckable in (base-blue) sealed decks.

It depends on the speed of the format. I don't think there was a single environment post-DTK that was slow enough for a cancel to be maindeckable.

WotC likes to keep prices low, sure. But the thing is that they're trying to grow their audience, meaning that entry-level tournaments (FNMs) and events have to be appealing to newer, more casual and less invested players. Draw-go control is one of the most frustrating decks to play against if you're that kind of a player (since it goes against the fundamental things you've learned about magic to that point - creatures and attacking and winning incrementally by damage and such), so if draw-go control is readily available due to widely-available counterspells and answers, this means that newer, less invested players won't have as much fun.

You solve that problem by pushing things that make draw-go control tick (good counterspells, torrential gearhulks and such) to rarities that are, on secondary market, only reasonably available to players that are heavily invested into the game. This way, FNMs will run only a small percentage of draw-go control decks, meaning that new players won't encounter them as much.
>>
>>50564590
How can you even consider that?
There's got to be some other way.
>>
>>50563815
Fucking underrated post you memes.
>>
>>50575334
>Gideonposting
>good

tumblr pls go
>>
>>50575131
Too many words for "We want people to need to buy aprox. 110 boosters to get 1 copy of the best card in the set, not 3. So we'll make it a mythic instead of a common."
>>
>>50571004
>Ancestral Visions
It's the obvious play.
The mechanic is Cascade 2.0, new and improved AF, it's going to be looked at very closely in the eternal formats.
If it becomes part of a cycle, gets keyworded, or appears on more cards, expect shenanigans. Even as-is, it's sideboardable, the price is right in the matchups it acts as damnation+dark ritual.
>>
>>50575369
Maybe it is too many words for that message. I suppose it's a good thing that what is in your quotes wasn't my point then.
>>
>>50575723
Why is grim flayer a mythic then? An ultra-value bear that grows itself is not a complicated card.
Wizards just wanted to make a lot of money by making a pushed to shit format staple and making it as rare as a planeswalker. The NWO is just an excuse to make terrible commons and force every player to run 50% of mythics from now on. Standard is fucked.
>>
>>50575273
You're right.

I don't know if the best thing is to have only the invested players gravitate to the control decks, which may be the best decks if things don't go as planned.

Like, I don't know what value there is to have invested players showcasing the best cards. Is it really in their best interests to show that you have to spend an absurd amount of money to have the best deck? Does Putrid Leech really need to be a $25 card? You can't control how players talk about prices and people talk about prices more than ever now.

Is it because players are stupid? That they admire people who make the terrible decision to buy-in to this game? I think the overlapping behavior of people who can't manage their money well and the people who are unpleasant must be emphasized.

I feel that there are people in communities that act immaturely high and mighty - they're not obnoxious, but they're unpleasant. And they're the ones who have the big cards, it doesn't matter if the cards are good, they're kinda just acting superior because they know more. Everyone wants to show off, and it's especially easy if these people have new players to act smug at. And there just exists this divide when they have better cards and you don't. If people weren't jerks we wouldn't have this problem, but they are.

Wizards can't stop people from being jerks. But I really do think we can do more to mitigate the impact of their behavior. The money-driven aspects of this game I think are poisoning peoples' behavior. I can afford to lose a game to a new player and talk them through stuff but many people are playing like they're at a GP.

I think FNM is just expected to do too much. You have half competitive people and half newer people. I want some fucking help making this community work. I want stores to not have to tolerate shit people because they're necessary to fill seats. I don't want to have to hear new players tell me how hard it is to get cards just to play this game.
>>
>>50576016
>Like, I don't know what value there is to have invested players showcasing the best cards.

Honestly, I think it's supposed to evoke a "This could be me if I keep playing and getting better!" attitude, the caveat of course being that this keeps you buying product and becoming more and more invested in the game.

And honestly, it kind of works - it's how I got hooked. It helped, of course, that the guy I looked up to was an outstanding person, always willing to go over your deck and plays once the match (which he won because of a combination of better cards and better understanding of rules and interactions) was over. Always willing to lend cards and small takebacks if you noticed a mistake right after you made it.

The problem is, of course, that the majority of players aren't like that, and that's why Wizards are currently so into community management and trying to get good players to act like shining examples of chivalry, good sportsmanship and helpfulness. Because that, more than anything, helps grow the community. Losing against draw-go control deck that costs 500 euros as a new player hurts and feels like bullshit, but it doesn't hurt as much if you think of the guy playing it as a friend / mentor figure. And then you start thinking "once I get better, get a job and actual money to buy cards, I'll build the same kind of expensive deck that can win and be this person".
>>
>>50576217
I don't see how Wizards is trying to get good players to be the cornerstones of communities. All I see is them short-changing absolutely everyone with new players simply not knowing that things in general used to be better.

Being good is of its own reward. Sure. But I don't see Wizards making it easier for me to continue playing their game. Limited doesn't fire, Modern is too expensive (even though I got in cheap) so nobody plays, Legacy and Vintage are dead. Where's my injection of cheap Modern cards Wizards? Help ME play the game. They have a PR team dedicated to trawling through Reddit to make sure the circle jerk continues. Players are showing off their alters or decorations or cosplay or whatever and I am just disgusted because it doesn't help me play the game; those people are happy, their cup runneth over that they can devote time to doing Magic extras. I don't need stupid cardboard deckboxes for Sealed, I don't need dice, I don't need garbage promos, I need people to have cards to do the thing we are all here to do. I don't want to see my store have to struggle to compete with online sales and sales at Gamestop; Magic no longer is even remotely an important part of my store's business model - that is how unpleasant it is to support Magic now.

You sit there and all the new cards look like cards you've seen before. And it gets tiring and you're not excited anymore.

They can grow this game to be a game everyone of all ages and economic background can play. I can imagine a world where instead of parents ditching their kids at the store they can crack a duel deck and throw down. All the effort that is put into designing these pre-constructed decks are just thrown out the window; even kitchen table players strip them down for their singles.
>>
File: Al Bundy Noose.gif (996KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Al Bundy Noose.gif
996KB, 500x300px
>>50575132
>T1
>T2

>mfw when i'm old enough to remember these phrases as Legacy and Standard.
>>
>>50575723
So what should be at mythic, then, if not ultra rare, ultra good format staples? You'd complain if they put something like Malignus and Utvara hellkite in there, for being limited fodder for eating up a mythic slot. You'd complain if they put stupid durdly johnny cards, like, say, door to nothingness, or darksteel forge. And youre complaining right now about spiky tourney staples going in a mythic either.

Granted, I think the secondary market is out of control to the point that Wotc should be working against it indirectly, but seriously what should they put at mythic, anon?
>>
File: 1400101582226.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1400101582226.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>50573732
>>
>>50573952
I'll just say this now because we've tried to explain and you won't listen.

You're wrong and know nothing about the format you're speaking of.
>>
>>50575131
The reason (or excuse) wizards use regarding rarity nowadays is mostly tied to limited, which has been it's focus for a while. Some cards are rare because opening too many of them would fuck up the balance, and so on for the other rarities.

It indeed has nothing to do with the price, at all.
>>
>>50577579
Mythic shouldn't even exist desu senpai
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.