[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginners' fantasy RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Realm+of+Chaos+3[1].jpg (47KB, 604x395px) Image search: [Google]
Realm+of+Chaos+3[1].jpg
47KB, 604x395px
Got a few mates keen for playing a tabletop RPG. None of us have played before, I volunteered to DM, they want a trad fantasy setting, what are some sensible options for rules?
>>
Palladium fantasy.
Great list of varied spells
Great story
Great world
Easy rules
All your classic classes
Magic gear galore
Huge dense world
Active defense system
>>
>>50557635
Hahaha no
i suggest gurps because LESS math
>>
>>50557620
D&D 4e is a good pick up game for beginner DMs.
>>
File: 1480480258593.jpg (19KB, 403x312px) Image search: [Google]
1480480258593.jpg
19KB, 403x312px
>>50557683
>>
>>50557620
5e D&D, Ryuutama, Risus, Mini Six
>>
>>50557683
As much hate there is for 4e this is correct.

Dungeon world is another really easy to get into system for new players.
>>
>>50557671
Gurps isnt bad but palladium is a much better engine to learn
>>
D&D 5e, Dungeon World, Mini Six.

The people suggesting 4e are either trolling or delusional. It's far too videogamey for beginners, it'll forever ruin their impression of the hobby, or turn them into min-maxing munchkins instead of actual roleplayers.
>>
D&D OSR.

It will get your players in the mindset that their characters may die, that killing things isn't the only goal, and it won't put them in mindset of making builds or hunting for stupid feats. Plus it's easy and there's a general for it here on /tg/

Please OP, please. For raise another generations of shitty whiny powergamers.
>>
>>50557988
>the game made explicitly for bringing new people into the hobby is bad because it was designed for new people
>muh precious 'depth'
>muh precious obscurity of elements.
5e is okay but its not explicitly designed to bring new people into the hobby and its explicitly designed to milk 3.5 grognards of their cash while not being as utterly broken as pathfinder.

>>50558005
>D&D OSR
>not explicitly designed to encourage people to be murderhobos
D&D has one purpose and that's dungeon runs. That's all its for and all its good for and that's fine if you just want to run dungeons and combat but don't pretend any iteration of the system will ever be for anything but murdering monsters and looting dungeons.
>>
>>50558031
>5e exists to milk 3.5 fans.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh fuck it hurts to laugh.

5e exists to dump the 3.5 fans like the dead weight garbage they are. Moving away from the game design philosophies that made 3.5 what it is was one of the best choices WOtC could have possibly made.
>>
File: 144526.jpg (444KB, 900x1165px) Image search: [Google]
144526.jpg
444KB, 900x1165px
Barbarians of Lemuria. Very simple system, really easy to edit should you want to.
>>
I dig Dungeon World but I don't like the old school class based race restrictions, I feel the world makes more sense if dwarfs can be rangers, etc.
>>
bumo
>>
File: SW.jpg (35KB, 350x203px) Image search: [Google]
SW.jpg
35KB, 350x203px
>>50557620
Savage Worlds. Cheap, easy to learn, and able to easily handle much more than just fantasy.
>>
>>50558281
How is magic done in this system, and is the setting itself any good?
>>
I'm going to bump this before bed. I've got a few options but so far there's nothing that's really leaped out as ideal, I'd like to engender a bit more discussion.
>>
>>50559286
Not the guy who suggested it. Magic is very much in the same style as Hyborian sorta stuff. Ritualistic, slow and dangerous. I am personally not a fan of its setting, when I run it I straight up use Hyboria.
>>
>>50559286
It's sword and sorcery as opposed to high fantasy. Very much like Conan. It's a different feel than most, but you can easily incorporate a different magic system
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.