[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

How do you feel about elements of science fiction in D&D or other fantasy games?

I'm thinking about running a campaign like this and I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Are there any settings that do this well?

For the record I'm not talking about something silly like Spelljammer but rather something along the lines of Final Fantasy X where technology existed once but people are now fearful of it.
>>
>>50551123

No Numenera?
>>
>>50552372
Numenera sounds really cool but it might be closer to sci fi than what I'm looking for.

I still want elves and dwarves and dragons but maybe a few ruins of an ancient civilisation containing weird technology.

Maybe Eberron would be a better setting...
>>
>>50551123
As long as the elements don't break each others narrative, thematic, and logical rules I'm for going as far out with ideas as possible. What I'm not for is when people just shove whatever sounds coolest together just for the sake of having it in there.
>>
>>50551123
>Not going full space fantasy
pleb tier
>>
>>50551123
The tech is from before and people fear it? That'll help you even more!

Science fantasy works well when you follow the same method as the original Star Wars trilogy: the tech works by advancing the plot, fuck the details on how.
>>
>>50553433

double dubs speaks the truth.

Besides, I'd rather go with FF12 then 10 simply because th notion of being afraid of technology or it being oh so scarce is dumb. Then again, I'm all about 15's full on magitech with a modern look but still having guys fight with swords and guns.
>>
>>50551123
>technology existed once
Playing Song of the Deep right now, I guess it would sort of count.
Undersea adventure is a classic for that kind of things.
>>
>>50551123
I like the science to exist in otherwise fantastic realms, it just isn't our science. Some civilizations know or knew how to do some cool shit
>>
>>50551123

It's called Might and Magic

Some elements of Final Fantasy also come to mind
>>
Is Spelljammer any good?
>>
File: Numenera-Ninth-World-Guidebook-2.jpg (708KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Numenera-Ninth-World-Guidebook-2.jpg
708KB, 1600x1067px
>>50551123
Numenera is very good, but it requires you to work a bit on creating the actual world.

>>50556738
>Might and Magic

Sadly that's not true since after World of Xeen...
>>
>>50551123
>pic
>the final form of the Sydney Opera House.
>>
>>50551123
I personally prefer this sort of setting. In fact, I generally try to give a sort of scientific consistency to my magic, because I detest magic that works like a deus ex or fiat.

One of my current settings is basically cyberpunk, with elves, dwarves, halflings and the like all being modifications to base-stock humans. Dragons are a more ancient magitechnologically-advanced species, and pollution is something that advanced tech produces (it's called spellchill; magic draws heat from the air, so regions with lots of magic are unnaturally cold).

All this occurs on a flat plane world with continents separated by millions of miles of sea, requiring magical ships to cross.

tldr; I made me some space opera in fantasy land, my niggas.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.