[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mystery letter/package

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: old letter.jpg (211KB, 1600x940px) Image search: [Google]
old letter.jpg
211KB, 1600x940px
Hey /tg
I am not sure this is the right board.
I want to try to make a mail RPG like experience to mess with a friend. I want to make it look a little like this https://www.mysteriouspackage.com/ but make it specifically for him. I have some experience with model making but I need some ideas and inspiration for a story-line / riddles.
Its important that he doen't know I made it, at least not at the start.

I wat thinking of delivering "old" letters, originally addressed to someone else and send years ago. I am not sure if I want to provide an alternative to an historical event or something else.
I would include printed notes from a "curator" that is sending the old letters to him.

Its ok if it freaks him out a little but not as bad that he goes to the police.
Does anyone have experience with stuff like this?
>>
The tread is now on page 6, that means that there is quite a lot of traffic on this board. Why are there no replies? Not even yelling that the idea is stupid? Is this the wrong board?
>>
>>50530969
Because A, coming up with appropriate stuff is difficult enough when you know the target audience well, and we know nothing of your friend, nor have any real starting point to build off of. B, most people on /tg/ are lazy, and probably have very little experience with this sort of thing and would rather shitpost about edition wars or elves than wrack their minds trying to help with something like this.

This is probably the closest board for your question, but I don't know how much help you'll get here, you could always try /diy/ or something
>>
>>50531169
Tnx, I know that stuff like this is pretty niche.
I was surprised by the lack of shitposts.

I am not looking for complete and detailed stuff, just random/general ideas and tricks.
>>
>>50531295
/tg/ is a board that is relatively free of aggressive in your face shitposting, most of the time it only really occurs in designated shitposting threads..

Well anyways, I know jack shit about what you want, so sorry but the only thing I can offer is a bump,
>>
>>50530329
Get a look at ARGs, things like In Memoriam,...

I also suggest you read a bunch of epistolary novels, to get how to make enjoyable and semi-plausible letter exchanges.

IIRC, the stasi puzzle project wanted to ask random people on the net to reconstitute documents at some point. Maybe you can use some elements.

For the setting and kind of game, I don't have enough info to help you.

IMO, you're gonna have a LOT (really) of work to maintain his suspension of disbelief and provide a believable experience. Good luck.
>>
>>50532894
Thats a good suggestion.
I already found information on letters trough the ages (paper sized and envelope looks). I know some weathering techniques and i have acces to high power UV lamps to age paper.

Writing the letters and building the story will be the hardest part.
>>
>>50533010
Keep it simple.
And if you have access to his house or can enroll some of his family, it's even better.
"Hey, I'm M.Xyz, my grand-grand-granddad had a bunch of letters in a box , written by M.Abc, a quick search linked to you has one of his descendants, do you perchance have any letters from my granddad?
I'm sending you a scan of the letters btw, since it's your ancestor.
>cue friend's mother giving him a sack with a lot of old mail inside it, or the adress of an imaginary cousin that got the rest of the letters. (but the more people you add, the harder it becomes to play and to keep him proactive).

>weathering techniques
Since I'm at it, chemical ink eraser becomes golden when steamed/heated. I ruined a couple fake letters that way. But it does make a nice effect.
>>
>>50533204
That's good to know, maybe it can be used to fake mildew spots.
>>
>>50533204
We are both university students, I plan to send the letters to him in envelopes with the university's logo. That way I can make it look like someone from the university staff is sending the letters.
>>
>>50533484
Watch out, idk how it is where you are, but some unis can be pretty anal about what they see as someone counterfeiting their authority. Better ask them beforehand, it would be stupid to be expelled over such a thing.
>>
>>50533688
I will only be using the envelopes, the goal is to make it look like a rogue employee.

The content will have nothing to do with official uni authority. Even in the unlikely case that he contacts the uni about it they are unable to trace it to me.
>>
File: De Profundis.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
De Profundis.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50530329
>ctrl-f de profundis
>phrase not found
What the fuck guys.

OP, De Prof is pretty much what you want, a mini-RPG based on writing actual letters so reading a campaign would look like a beginning of a HPL novel (HPL-based setting, too).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.