[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gothic Horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Can we discuss gothic horror settings?

What do we love about them, what do we hate.

Where you draw inspiration from? Is stuff like bloodborne perfect or you dislike some aspects of it?
>>
>>50526171
gothic snorer more like it.
>>
>>50526171
Bloodborne is really much closer to cosmic horror than Gothic horror, outside of some of it's aesthetics.
>>
>>50526262
Yeah, most of Bloodborne's horror is rooted in Lovecraft.

Personally, I'm a sucker for Castlevania myself.
>>
>>50526171
People interested in this thread may be interesting on Annalise. It's a one-shot rpg designed to emulate gothic horror novels, I've not had the chance to play it since my group don't really like horror but I've read it and it seems interesting
>>
>>50526171
Gothic horror plotlines make for great adventure inspirations. There's always some injustice, some secret to be uncovered, some villain who needs a comeuppance, and often a supernatural element too.
>>
File: cv_los_heavy_combo.gif (376KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
cv_los_heavy_combo.gif
376KB, 512x384px
>>50526619
Yeah castelvania kicks ass. I especialy the variety of msonters and the soudntrack.

And they were still able to bring a new iconinc weapon.
>>
>>50528464
Oh yes, and not to mention, memorable locations, some ruined abbey or haunted mansion, with many rooms and secret passages.
>>
>>50528234

>iktfb
My group is "3.5e is best edition" which makes it hard to run anything besides a fantasy game. Fantasy is hard to make scary when in 3.5 everything is chruchy and made for munchkins.
>>
>>50528482
>Fantasy is hard to make scary when in 3.5 everything is crunchy and made for munchkins
it's not impossible though, if you can set up a challenge which can't be killed outright and then mount the danger slowly you can still get a decently scary adventure, maybe not for a long game but it makes a nice change of tone for one session every now and then
>>
>>50528753
The 3.5 version of Ravenloft was apparently pretty good.
>>
have people already tried werewolves vampires AND steampunk?
>>
File: The_Order_1886_Cover_Art[1].png (125KB, 250x278px) Image search: [Google]
The_Order_1886_Cover_Art[1].png
125KB, 250x278px
>>50529919
Might just work.
>>
You want something original?

Scarecrow monsters.
>>
>>50532103
Literally in the Monster Manual
>>
If you added ice to the gothic horror what woudl you get?

a victorian Russia? Ice wraith in an abbandoned london?
>>
>>50533086
You could draw upon Russian folklore and basically pull a Dracula. Foreign folkloric monster turns out to be real and invades civilised nation, with the plotline adapted to suit the monster in question.

With the gothic theme of the past coming back to haunt us you could also have someone or something encased in the ice thawing after a long time. Perhaps a murder victim, or someone who was turned away from home and died in the cold. Or something even older, like one of those neanderthal corpses they find intact sometimes. A savage mind incomprehensible to modern man.
>>
>>50529919
There's a GURPS book about that.
>>
>>50526171
What's some good inspiration for a gothic horror campaign for someone who's read Dracula and quite a bit of Poe?
>>
>>50534908
Mary Shelly comes to mind.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.