[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$$$ Competitive Modern General Magic: the Gathering M:TG MTG $$$

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 30

File: surgical.png (121KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
surgical.png
121KB, 223x311px
Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Previous Thread
>>50483947

Sideboard Edition
Questions of the Thread
>Favorite SB card?
>Favorite card that sees play?
>Personal policy on fakes?

RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Jund
>Bant Eldrazi
>Infect
>Affinity
>Dredge
>Burn
>Gx Tron

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
>Junk
>Merfolk
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek)
>Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dek)
>GR Breach Titan
>GR Scapeshift
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Ad Nauseam
>Abzan Company

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Blue Moon
>Lantern Control
>Jeskai Control
>Death & Taxes
>Jeskai Midrange
>RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
>RW Prison (Sun&Moon)
>RG Ponza
>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)
>8-Rack (Also Bushwhacker Zoo)
>Bant Spirits
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Nahiri
>Esper Control
>RUG Delver
>Soul Sisters
>Bogles (GW Enchantments/Hexproof)
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins/8-Whack
>Kiki Chord
>Pryomancer's Ascension
>Faeries
>Duskmantle Mindcrank Mill / other UB Mill

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Esper Teachings
>Grixis Cruel Control
>Timewalks
>Ux Tron
>Martyr-Proc
>Amulet Titan
>Allies
>5C Humans
>Mono G Stompy
>Bx Infect
>Green's Sun's Zenith
>Jeskai Ascendancy
>Angel Moon
>Ritual Gifts
>Someone playing last year's standard deck
>>
You could just post the tier list instead of trying to copy the legacy general.
>>
>>50525678
Then you create a new pasta that competitive modern general can use.

The same style as legacy general is better than the nothing shitstorm it has been for a while. Didn't we get like 3 ban blood moon editions in a row?
>>
File: 1477433031074.png (61KB, 458x402px) Image search: [Google]
1477433031074.png
61KB, 458x402px
>>50525665
>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)

how?
>>
>>50525779
I've seen what is just skred but without snow mountains and without skred. Skred is most common because it can kill creatures with 4+ toughness for 1 mana.
>>
>>50525665
>TFW your deck fell from tier 1 to like tier 3 and its replacement cant get above tier 2.

Hate my life sometimes
>>
>>50525848
What deck?

And you do know that tiers don't actually represent power level, they just show what is topping, right?

Stronger decks are typically represented more but if everyone starts playing esper tokens, that doesn't make it the best deck even if it's 20% of the field.
>>
>>50525869
RUG Scapeshift. The fall has been really hard.
>>
>>50525879
Sucks man. I was on the opposite train and now I'm afraid of bannings. I've been playing dredge forever. Back when JTMS was new I was a YGO player and a few friends played MTG. I was watching them, some guy had lands in front and I asked my friends if that was allowed. Turns out there are no dedicated zones in MTG and they told me I should see a dredge player's GY, it's just all over the table. Dredge seemed really cool and I picked it up and have been playing it since. Neonate and Amalgam were amazing pick ups and I'm afraid Reunion put it too high on the map.

What's your typical record at FNM with RUG Scapeshift?
>>
>>50525946
Ive gone no losses and ive gone no wins. I usually do about average though. Best performance with the deck was at an Old PTQ (Back when that was all that was needed to start, no PPTQ or other qualifiers). That day, out of a 400 man tourney i came in 28th. Was a good day.
>>
Is mono red burn even worth running? Of course I'd rather run naya burn but seeing as that land base is more expensive than my car payment, I feel I may have to settle
>>
File: nope.jpg (409KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
409KB, 1366x768px
>>50525779
>>50525798
i think it makes more sense to omit mono red prison than to lump it with skred red... skred is on a midrange plan and wants as few dead draws as possible whereas prison goes for fast lock which means playsets of awful topdecks

>>50525848
>tfw half my matches don't go to game 2
>cockatrice, everyone

i can't wait to finish this in paper so i can at least get store credit when people quit and also because i just want to play more games, especially postboard
>>
>>50526228
Leyline raped Monored out of the format play 8-Whack instead.
>>
>>50526243
Which one are you the W/U guy or Grishlolabrand?
>>
>>50526243
Also don't omit Free Win Red that shit is blast. Wish Blood Moons and Magus wouldn't cost me $200 at minimum or I'd build it.
>>
>>50526265
i'm the one about to draw his deck

>>50526279
i feel an optimal list also has some number of chalice and skite in the 75, not to mention bridges
>>
File: 1476922885514.jpg (51KB, 800x634px) Image search: [Google]
1476922885514.jpg
51KB, 800x634px
>>50525946
>tfw I play living end
>your shitty meme deck is making my shitty meme deck impossible to play because everyone packs more GY hate
>>
>>50526311
AH, i've always had problems with Grishlolabrand, remand doesn't do shit to it. Those too sadly that just drives the price sky high.
>>
>>50526312
It's really only a big problem if they're packing Rest in Peace. If they're trying to Relic, Crypt, or even Leyline you you can still get a game out of it.

Rest in Peace though, Jesus Christ, that fucking card should never have been printed. No fucking games can be had with that card. I seriously think that is the most un-fun card printed in recent memory. It's like Stasis-level of game-killing. Like, I thought Timely Reinforcements was gross, but Rest in Peace is the worst.
>>
holy fuck scapeshift is so dumb
is there something other than infect and a blood moon deck that has like a 100% win rate against it?
>>
>>50526370
Anything packing Crumble? Counterspells? Affinity? Seriously the deck is hyper linear and its not hard to see when the finale is going to happen.
>>
>>50526370
I have enjoyable games against Scapeshift with the UWR control decks. Can't say whether the matchup is good, but we have some solid games.

Gives you red for land hate, white for pathing their creatures, and countermagic. Deck runs Tectonic Edge to keep them off mountains. You can even run one copy of Crucible in the sideboard.
>>
>>50526403
He is talking about G/R or Breach shift, not RUG or BtL. I personally dont like BtL, seems WAY too slow even if you get to pack your deck full of silver bullets.
>>
>>50526403
Is there a build with Nahiri and Cryptic Command?

I've seen builds with Nahiri and builds with Cryptic/Sphinx's Rev, but never both. Are they not viable?

What do you think is better? And how should the deck be built to not auto lose to blood moon? All cockatrice is is scapeshift and skred.
>>
>>50526328
control matchups are a good time desu, especially since most decks are tuned against aggro atm, and it's less likely they bring in grave hate due to snapcaster and such. i played a game yesterday where i spliced a vengeance twice on his end step, then did more nonsense on my turn. Dude would have needed like 4 counters and 6+ mana to beat it, lol

>>50526370
dunno about 100% but i think an average draw on rug delver beats most draws from any valakut deck.
>>
>>50526430
Cryptic is so blue intensive it hurts man. Like As awesome and game swing as Cryptic can get, trip blue makes it VERY hard to run. Much like how Obliterator's BBBB makes it impossible to run.
>>
>>50526243
Some grishoalbrand guy on cockatrice reanimated griselbrand during my turn, blocked narcomoeba, didn't block 3 amalgams and 2 bloodghasts. I cast darkblast on my narco so he wouldn't gain life, he then paid 14 life, didn't do anything else and insisted he wasn't dead.
>>
>>50526430
It seems like I am thinking about an old Scapeshift deck. According to >>50526413

If such is the case I don't think I can offer much advice.

You'll have a hard time against Blood Moon with the UWR Control. If they're packing Moon you basically have to decide between casting Cryptic Command or the other part of your deck, it's a shit situation and you often have to bring in Wear/Tear to fucking get out of it.

I personally don't see any reason why you can't run the Cryptic/Sphinx build and just substitute 2-3 Nahiri and one Emrakul in the place of whatever other win condition. But then, I'm sure there's some reason some expert can point out why that doesn't work.

The deck just wins off Snapping back burn and/or Cryptics and Collonades. Your choice of win condition takes up 3-4 slots max + one or two Sphinx Revelation.
>>
>>50526430
If you're concerned with Blood Moon, Nahiri is your girl. Her -2 kills enchantments and you only need 1 plains and 1 nonbasic/mountain+2 others under blood moon to cast Nahiri.
>>
>>50526448
dang lol that sounds pretty bad. did he seem newish to magic?
there's a lot of stuff to know that's particular to the deck but everyone should know how damage step works
did you end up winning the match?
>>
>>50526370
>70% win rate isn't good enough
Why so greedy, anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 536x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 536x700px
>>50525665
Hold it right there, Bant spirits is an actual deck?

If anything, I'd expect Esper Spirits to be the variant of choice due to Lingering Souls + Mausoleum Wanderer being such a terrific combo but Bant?, It makes no sense.

What can Green possibly offer to a tribal Spirit deck that Black can't do better?, Any anons that play it / have played against it can explain it to me?, Because I'm honestly stumped here.
>>
>>50526551
Green for CoCo and Noble Hierarch.

For a Jeskai Nahiri build, why do some lists have just like 1-2 Ancestral Vision? It's the type of card you want to suspend as early as possible.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 462x579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 462x579px
>>50526564
>CoCo
Does that synergize well with Vials?, Hierarch I can understand, but CoCo is playing roulette in a deck that cares a lot about timing. You could argue the chance of putting a Queller on the field is worth it, but it's not a guarantee unlike flashing back LS and then Saccing a Wanderer for basically the same result at a mere cost of 1B.

Hierarch also I don't quite see either because the deck wants to aggro with a bunch of creatures rather than 1 and even then, its more focused towards control with Quellers, Wanderers and all. It's like its trying to be Merfolk levels of aggro when its more like D&T.

Any decklists I can look over?
>>
>>50526688
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109174

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108812

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=110032

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109597
>>
>>50526878
>>50526688
We also have 0 tournament results for esper spirits

yeah, you get lingering souls and maybe something like discard and sorin, but the coco lists that play like merfolk seem better than esper.

I think merfolk is better than spirits but I'm sure there's a metagame where spirits are better.
>>
>>50526688
>>50526551
Honestly I've been grinding bant spirits and I think it is incredibly strong and has a great matchups vs dredge and affinity and a pretty good matchup vs infect. Struggles vs blooicide and bogles, occasionally but less so with zooicide and can lose to early ugin but otherwise sound.

All the cards in the deck look mediocre by themselves but together they are absolutely disgusting, you can be slightly weak early but the deck doesn't run out of gas, CoCo is nuts and the deck is resilient to hate and almost all removal. It can get awkward hands as the deck is full of 3 drops and you occasionally stumble on mana too, I also find you can end up losing a lot of life to fetches as well but you can generally stabilize.

I love the deck and I am taking it to a tournament instead of affinity in 1 week.
>>
>>50526443
You wouldn't want to run Obliterator even if you had BBBB consistently on T4
>>
>>50525665
>no Blitzkrieg in the tierlist
>>
>>50527076
My own list is very similar, the biggest diference is that, rather than CoCo, I run Vials.

I'd put together a tappedout list but I've got a joint that most certainly won't smoke itself:

Creatures: (26)
>Mausoleum Wanderer x4
>Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit x2
>Selfless Spirit x4
>Rattlechains x4
>Phantasmal Image x4
>Drogskol Captain x4
>Spell Queller x4

Artifacts: (4)
>Aether Vial x4

Sorceries: (3)
>Lingering Souls x4

Instants: (4)
>Path to Exile x3

Lands: 23
>Cavern of Souls x4
>Moorland Haunt x2
>Mutavault x3
>Ghost Quarter x2
>Flooded Strand x4
>Hallowed Fountain x2
>Godless Shrine x1
>Watery Grave x1
>Plains x2
>Island x2

Sideboard:
>Promise of Bunrei x3
>Kataki, War's Wage x3
>Spirit of the Labyrinth x3
>Eidolon of Rhetoric x3
>Shape Stealer x3

I've found that it has stronger starts, probably stronger than Bant but lack of CoCo means it runs outta gas faster.

If I only could /also/ run CoCo in my list...
>>
>>50527349
use this manabase
6 plains
6 island
6 swamp
6 forest

that way you can't ever get fucked up by blood moon even though you're a 4 color deck
>>
>>50527349
Man, I really like the look of that, I have vials from playing dnt in legacy, part of me wants to straight up cut noble hierarch for vials and still have 4 cocos but I don't know how good that would be

My list (basically same as calebs but with 2x spellskite instead of a rhox war monk in sb):

// 60 Maindeck
// 29 Creature
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Spell Queller
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Rattlechains
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
2 Phantasmal Image
3 Geist of Saint Traft

// 2 Enchantment
2 Steel of the Godhead

// 7 Instant
4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile

// 22 Land
1 Gavony Township
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Forest
4 Flooded Strand
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Breeding Pool
2 Botanical Sanctum

// 15 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 2 Engineered Explosives

// 4 Creature
SB: 2 Spellskite
SB: 2 Qasali Pridemage

// 6 Enchantment
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 3 Stony Silence

// 3 Instant
SB: 1 Path to Exile
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance
>>
File: 9919692.png (1MB, 766x547px) Image search: [Google]
9919692.png
1MB, 766x547px
>>50525665
>Death & Taxes

What a weird method to spell 'Hatebears'.
>>
>>50527349
haha blaze it dude
>>
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Timely Reinforcements
4 Serum Visions
3 Ancestral Vision
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Spell Snare
2 Lightning Helix
2 Mana Leak
3 Remand
2 Anger of the Gods

4 Flooded Strand
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Arid Mesa
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard: 20
1 Wear // Tear
2 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Monastery Mentor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Crumble to Dust
3 Surgical Extraction
1 Timely Reinforcements

Other than 20 SB, how does this look? Why do builds run just 1 Ghost Quarter? Wouldn't another Colonnade or fetch be better?

Why don't any Jeskai Nahiri lists have 4 Ancestral? It seems like the thing you really want to suspend early.

What do I cut from the SB? These 20 seemed like the best from lists I've seen. Also, Spellskite and Blood Moon.
>>
File: image.jpg (223KB, 461x716px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223KB, 461x716px
>>50527392
That seems like Madness and I got no discard outlets.

Unfortunately, consistent 4 color decks are fated to loose against the light of the Blood Moon. Such is the way of MtG.

>>50527445
The idea was taking advantage of utility lands like Mutavault, Ghost Quarter and Moorland Haunt to help you push through as your initial hand depletes.

Let's not forget that the signature token deck in Modern makes SPIRIT tokens, so a lot of cards from W/B tokens fit right in. In fact I've been thinking about including Spectral Procession, but if I were to do that I think I'd rather use Promise of Bunrei because it works so well with Selfless Spirit and Wanderer. The tokens don't have Flying but they are more and the card helps you hold on to the game in case you get Wrathed. Makes it really resilient you know?

I'd like to cut Path myself for some black removal that doesn't give the opponent extra mana. Any ideas on what I could use?

Also, if I were you I'd ALWAYS run 4 Phantasmal Image. Their synergy with almost every other creature in the deck is just ludicrous. Being a situational Captain or Queller (or Selfless Spirit is just way too good)

>>50527561
Always fgt.
>>
>>50527769
>>50527445
Phantasmal Image is so good.
CoCo into Phantasmal Image with Drogskol Captain on the battlefield, now you have two. Copy a rattlechains and give something hexproof. Copy Spell Queller and Quell a spell.
>>
Where my Grixis Delver niggas at
>>
>>50527849
ded cuz that deck sux
>>
File: 1429551758936.jpg (34KB, 369x434px) Image search: [Google]
1429551758936.jpg
34KB, 369x434px
>>50527849
Making it. Just need about... 70% of the deck?
>>
File: 1477930296531.gif (1016KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477930296531.gif
1016KB, 320x240px
>>50527849
need 4 snaps to finish it..i love the options and the fun of the deck.. should i wait for mm3?
>>
>>50528010
>implying they'll print anything relevant
>>
>>50528010
You can get 4 snapfakester mage for $16.20
>>
>>50527880
u fuckin suck
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50528065
Got dem fakes already
>>
>>50528169
wtf did i quote.. meant >>50528066
>>
>>50528169
I literally can't tell most of VZ's fakes apart without a loupe or LED light.
>>
>>50527741
Seems pretty stock. Not sure how I'm feeling about maindeck timely.

AV is weird. You want to see it in your opener or not at all. Also what the fuck is going on in that SB and why is Mentor in there.
>>
>>50525665

>8 Rack (Also Bushwacker Zoo)

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>50528169
Name text looks absolutely awful.
>>
>>50528169

Just a little too dark. It looks like the glow around him and the expansion symbol are a tiny bit darker than normal. Bretty damn good though
>>
>>50528524
I meant to put it by goblins/8whack but just brain farted.
>>
>>50528539
>>50528548
what gives away the fakeness:
too opaque (colors in real cards are way brighter and have more vivid color in general)

the text on the card is blurrier than the real one
>>
>>50528169
Chinamen fakes are the future.
Death to Collectors and speculators
>>
>>50528861
nah man. most fakes can be easily detected by what i said here >>50528829 even naked eye.. the best ones i saw were JTMS and Inquisition of kozilek. the rest are detectable.They're good but not amazing.
>>
>>50528884
Lands are almost spot on. The rest are Shit or pasa doublesleeved. Enough for me
>>
File: 1465384552249.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1465384552249.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>50527473
HATEBEARS IS NOT DEATH AND TAXES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>50527802
Exactly, automatic 4 of.
>>
>>50527849
maindeck countersquall checking in
manabase is janky right now but it mostly seems to work
>>
>tfw BR moon is actually not that bad of a deck right now
>>
>>50528169
I have these too. They look awful. Way too dark
>>
>>50530240
Wincon?
>>
From everything I've seen, this looks okay.

Main win con
>4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
>1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Chump blockers
>4 Snapcaster Mage
>1 Timely Reinforcements
Creature Kill
>4 Path to Exile
>4 Lightning Bolt
>2 Lightning Helix
>2 Anger of the Gods
Counterspells
>2 Spell Snare
>2 Mana Leak
>2 Remand
>1 Logic Knot
Cantrips
>4 Serum Visions
>3 Ancestral Vision
Lands
>4 Flooded Strand
>3 Scalding Tarn
>3 Arid Mesa
>2 Steam Vents
>1 Hallowed Fountain
>1 Sacred Foundry
>3 Celestial Colonnade
>1 Sulfur Falls
>2 Island
>2 Plains
>1 Mountain
>1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Stony Silence
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Negate
1 Dispel
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Blessed Alliance
1 Celestial Purge
1 Wear // Tear

I still don't know why I'm playing just 1 GQ. The innistrad block lighthouse that loots instead? I've got 7 white fetchlands with 2 basic plains because blood moon decks are running rampant on cockatrice.

RIPs and Surgicals for GY decks
Surgical is good in a lot of matchups
Stony Silence for Affinty
Stony and Crumble for Tron
Negate and Dispel for blue mirrors and decks where I need to stop specific noncreature threats. Thinking about another Negate but I don't know what to cut for it.
Supreme Verdict for creature decks.
Blessed Alliance for Burn and Infect.
Celestial Purge obviously comes in against anything with R/B problem permanents, mostly Jund.
Wear // Tear gets sided in against Affinty and anything else that would have Artifacts/Enchantments that I don't want on the battlefield.

I want to add Keranos, Geist, Staticaster, a second Negate, Wear // Tear and a third Surgical. Any suggestions?
>>
Can someone explain how KTK/BFZ manabase worked when it was in standard?
>>
>>50531037
>frontier question
get out
>>
>>50531037
What is there to explain? You use the colours you need to cast spells
>>
Is there a 2GB creature that's good in Jund to go with 1 main deck Huntmaster and 1 SB Olivia?
>>
>>50530854
Blood Moon
Kalitas
Pia
Demigod of Revenge
>>
Speaking about BR. How is BR eldrazi?
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 223x310px
>>50532047
>>50532047
Thrun, Kalitas, Arlin Kord, Gonti
or this spicy gal
>>
>>50531037
You use the fetch lands to find the battle lands.
>>
>>50532047
There aren't any good ones.

I'll make Reaper of the Wilds work one day though.
>>
>>50528929
To elaborate on this rage, D&T is generally mono white and abuses flicker effects. Hatebears is usually G/W and wants to curve out harder with stuff like loxodon smiter & gilt-leaf leige
>>
any fun control decks I can play in modern without buying scalding tarns
>>
>>50533398
Martyr Proc
Lantern Control
>>
Esper control or D&T?
>>
>>50533398
Fun for whom?

Lantern control is for me the most interesting and fun control deck in modern.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>50534640
uwb D&T
-
1 adarkar wastes
1 eiganjo castle
1 eldrazi temple
4 ghost quarter
3 hallowed fountain
3 glacial fortress
1 godless shrine
1 watery grave
1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
5 plains
1 island

4 leonin arbiter
4 tidehollow sculler
4 thalia, guardian of thraben
4 flickerwisp
3 meddling mage
3 eldrazi displacer
2 blade splicer
2 spell queller
2 judge's familiar
1 brimaz, king of oreskos
1 geist of saint traft

4 path to exile

4 aether vial
sb:
2 sundering growth
1 hurkyl's recall
1 mulldrifter
1 reflector mage
2 vendilion clique
2 stony silence
2 dryad militant
4 yixlid jailer
>>
>>50534733
I like this spicy meme

Why only 1 eldrazi temple with 3 displacers?
>>
>>50534722
I' a prision player. I play mud, eldrazi and enchantress on vintage. But lantern does not have a way to finish the game fast. TKS and Lodestone golem Beats mean a hard clock. But lantern is just wait till time
>>
>>50534828
i always feel confident with one eldrazi temple...never had so much troubles due to the only copy, death and taxes is not a deck that need so much mana to spend each turn...also the hard work is frequently done by the aether vial...
>>
>>50533436
>>50534722

Martyr Proc sounds neat but Lanten control just sounds painful to play as and against
>>
>>50528169
I would call these out if I saw them IRL
>>
You have gotten into a conversation with some guy about modern and he says that he thinks fetchlands should be banned. How do you respond or argue against his points?

Hard mode: You can't call him a retard and tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>50534733
That sb is str8 garbo but I like the deck.
>>
>>50535008
open to suggestion
>>
>>50534920
As the pilot lantern control is as "control" as they come. You are the master of everything and have to make choices (often between to bad outcomes) as to what your opponent can and cannot have. It's actually pretty fun if you try it.

It also gets very fun when you get wins because the opponent is just super tilted and scoops after 10 turns on lock.
>>
>>50527849
>Where my Grixis Delver niggas at

What's up my nigga

Jim Davis did pretty well with Delver during this last SCG tournament and rekt BBD a new one

What are your decklists like? I run the Pyromancer version, and am thinking of putting some Countersqualls in the mainboard. Meta is a lot of Jund, Affinity, and Infect so Tier 1. Haven't seen too much dredge but I still run some Surgical Extraction in the side.
>>
How viable is esper controlor UW control in paper. Trying to decide between going UW spirits then upgrading to Bant or playing non-spirits esper
>>
>can't win a game of modern
>win every game of standard
whats this feel /mtg/?
>>
>>50536947
not being good at modern? mastering playing against the only 3 standard decks? could be anything really
>>
>>50536818
Horrible
>>
>>50536818
Is bant spirits any good? I was thinking of trying that out.
>>
>Ajani isn't Naya colors
>Tezz probably won't be Esper colors
>tfw Wizards ruins your 3 color meme dream
>>
>>50536947
Post your decks.
>>
>>50537188
Anybody got a translation for ajani yet?
>>
>>50537242
Nvm found a thread for it
>>
>>50537242

plus looks at top whatever cards and puts nonland permanents into your hand

second one is swords to plowshares

third one gives your dudes 5 +1/+1 counters and your other planeswalkers 5 loyalty
>>
>>50537233
In modern i've been bouncing around various UWx decks, lately that meme narset one that was posted.

Standard i've been playing a 4c good stuff deck
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14129&d=284081&f=ST
it's fucking fun.
>>
>>50537106
It's pretty fun, like a weird midrange-y Merfolk. CoCo becomes scary as hell because you can do shit like
>hit double Drogskol Captain, swing for lethal in the air
>respond to boardwipe, hit a Selfless Spirit or Spell Queller to counter it

I've also had moments where I hit nothing but a Noble Hierarch and Phantasmal image, and managed to stay in the game because I had 4 Hierarchs on the field. I'd swing with one of them and it'd become a mini-Goyf
>>
>>50537286
>Playing Narset in Modern
>Wondering why you lose all the time
Do you really not know why?
>>
>>50527849
I have been playing this deck for a while, but still can't figure out if i like pyro or not.
this is what i am running atm:

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Snapcaster Mage
2x Vendillion Clique
3x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

4x Serum Visions
4x Thought Scour
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Spell Snare

3x Terminate
1x Murderous Cut
1x Collective Brutality
4x Mana Leak

2x Electrolyze
1x Kolaghan's Command

20 Lands
>>
>>50537587
Oh, I wasn't wondering why. It just modern is a lot harder than standard where everything kinda just works out lol.
>>
>>50537188
>tfw no bant ajani
>>
Does non-green Spirits *need* Aethervial?
>>
>>50537369
>play coco roulette and pray you get what you need
Sounds like hearthstone. No thanks
>>
>>50538192
Yes. With out Coco, they are a must
>>
Haven't played there in a few weeks, but my LGS is now enforcing a "rule" now for Standard/Modern that "has been on the books for over a year" that says you cannot use the non-modern printings of any card in a sanctioned event. I wish I could find a store that wasn't such a joke
>>
>>50538428
Just have the store owner point out where in the rules it says that.
>>
>>50538510
It's sad because they were trying to crack down on cheating like players that board before game 1, but they went to a sad place with it where they are either delusional or trying to increase sales
>>
>>50538608
I fail to see how alienating a portion of your customer base boosts sales, seeing as there haven't been meaningful reprints in a couple of years. Though I know what you're getting at. Could bring in some older printing of cards and if the TO makes a huff, let WotC know
>>
>>50538732
We're actually trying to get a deck together with as many old cards as possible so we can bait them and call them out- the only thing my deck runs at the moment are some wall of roots
>>
>>50538791
Don't forget the onslaught fetches, old as shit revised BoP and bolts, etc...
>>
>>50538428
I think that's a fucking shit house rule. And I'm typically good for certain house rules even at sanctioned FNM.

But that being said, I can understand why (for now) that would be a reasonable rule. There just aren't a lot of reprints of cards out there from the old days. It would just be easier if you nixed the potential for confusion and delaying games from debating and checking the legality of an older bordered card.

That being said, players should stop assuming people are out to fuck you. Like, if some guy played old-border Disenchant and you just didn't know it was reprinted recently, why the fuck would you take him to task for that. I mean the guy is playing fucking Disenchant, are you really going to get your nuts bent out of shape over a meaningless card like that even IF it was illegal? I would revoke that rule if Wizards for some fucking reason reprinted good shit (like Cabal Therapy) from back in the day for Modern, but we all know that's not going to fucking happen.
>>
>>50538791
While I understand your frustration, I feel that going out of your way to fuck with the rule imposed is just one of the many ways that the Magic community has the shittiest behavior on the planet.

I mean that's real shit behavior to throw (admittedly a not-great house rule) in the face of the store. Like, of all the things to get pissed off about you decide to expend your moral ammunition on THAT.
>>
>>50525665
Is Heroic a good enough effect to have a deck made with all of the cards available in modern and be competitive? Not even UW, maybe GW with counter cheese or RW heroic as an aggro deck?
>>
>>50539362
It's a worse bogles and bogles is trash.
>>
>>50539272
Only problem is that a lot of players prefer the old frame and art style, and being completely legal cards in the format means they get to be played no matter what in any sanctioned tournament, whether or not the store owner likes it.

>>50539116
If a player is for some reason confused on what a cards does, they can always call a judge over and get the Oracle text. It's not like it's legacy where chain of mephistopheles or icy cauldron can get played.
>>
>>50539272
I get where you're coming from, and if they had even presented it as a "house rule" then that would be one thing, but they're saying it to everyone that walk through the door that it's coming straight from WoTC

Sanctioned FNM should follow the actual rules

The antique deck is more of a joke than anything
>>
File: charm.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
charm.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>50536818
>How viable is esper controlor UW control in paper.
It's viable but it's difficult to play and has a couple really bad matchups.

I think Esper is better than UW, but a UW tap out control or superfriends build might be a good introduction to playing control in Modern.

This is what I play, for reference:

2 Snapcaster Mage

4 Path to Exile
3 Spell Snare
1 Condemn
4 Think Twice
3 Logic Knot
2 Remand
4 Esper Charm
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

4 Supreme Verdict

4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
3 Island
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Mystic Gate
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Ghost Quarter

SB:
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Thoughtseize
3 Extirpate
2 Dispel
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Gideon Jura
>>
>>50539769
That's a good list except esper charm :^)
>>
>>50539769
I think esper mentor is much stronger than esper narset. Been playing both for a while. Whilst narset can lock out games it takes so long to resolve a win some decks can start making a comeback. Esper mentor can hold out the game and hit hard and fast. I'm tempted to run champion of the parish as a cheap 1 drop to soak up early removal or bolts.
>>
>>50539769
>difficult to play
Lmao
>>
>>50540111
Run myth realized as a one drop for hot memes
>>
>>50526440

I was thinking some Mardu removal nonsense deck could add / splash snap caster into it to produce enough card advantage to actually be a viable deck
>>
>>50539769
No visions?
>>
How much mana is "draw a card at the end of turn" worth?
>>
>>50540276
If your asking, then you should stick to the containmebt thread
>>
>>50540276
How much mana is "empty your opponent's hand forcing them to pass just so you can draw 2 next upkeep" worth?
>>
>>50540305
>Theorycrafting has no place in srs mtg
>>
>>50540177
Help out with this hot mess?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-11-16-esper-tokens/

Maybe I could lose a murderous cut and tasigur. not sure what else. I know I need another slot for hand hate. Ignore the sb its just what I have laying around.
>>
>>50540224
>>50540224
The deck has so much card advantage already that it's better to have access to cards immediately through Think Twice and Esper Charm than it is to get a bunch of cards all on turn five.

Also, having four lands on turn four is critical for stabilizing with Verdict and Cryptic, and Visions doesn't help with that.
>>
>>50532909
D&T is just weenies you fucking normie. Whether the weenies flicker or search for equipment is irrelevant.
>>
>>50540358
And semen visions?
>>
>>50540606
I have played those in the past. Going down a land and cutting Spell Snare for 4 Serum Visions is a viable way to build the deck, and is probably optimal when Snare isn't a good meta call.

I went back to the old-school build because I thought Visions was too weak. It's hard to sequence in the early turn with so many taplands and is a mediocre topdeck when you're trying to stabilize. If Modern had Preordain things would be different, though.
>>
>>50528169
Yesus these aren't black lotus fakes. I have a fake snapcaster and mine is 100x better than your shit.
>>
who is /onslaught/ here?
>>
Has anyone here ever tried Mono U Tron or Eldrazi Tron? Are they any good? How bad are they compared to Gx Tron? I'm thinking about building one since they're somewhat cheap to complete if you have the lands.
>>
>>50541312
OG fetches and shocks here. i'll post 'em if thread is still up in 12 hours
i feel that the khans fetches are mostly ugly, with strand being ok and heath being actually nice. Rob alexander pretty much blows the other ones away though
>>
>>50533398
You can get fake tarns for $16.20
>>
>>50541353

Mono U Tron thrives in a meta where control and combo type decks are prevalent but are much harder to play against more heavier aggro metas. Gx Tron lists plays better against aggressive and midrange matchups but is poorer against combo/control matchups.
>>
>>50541601
>Gx Tron
>poor against control
Nigga just stop posting.
>>
>>50540276
1, doesn't matter when it happens.
>>
>>50541601
I don't know what the meta is like, I've never played Modern. I've seen some Grixis using Cryptic Command and such, Bant Eldrazi, burn, dredge, and whatever else is the flavor of the month for Modern. I thought Eldrazi tron would be good against these midrange lists, it can play Reality Smashers and Thought-Knot Seers faster than Bant Eldrazi.
>>
>>50541353
Eldrazi tron is up there with Gx Tron, I have played U Tron since I came to modern and will be a deck that i iwill probably never get rid of. U Tron is super hard and you have to play extremely cautiously since you have to balance between controling and trying to slam down huge creatures. Currently U Tron is pretty shit, infect absolutely crushes you since you have no way to deal with any threats when they are on play, and most decks just straight up crush you.
>>
>>50541632
it should cost less because its the end of the turn. Like Necropotence, you only get it in the end of your turn so its balanced.
>>
>>50541755

Eldrazi Tron is pretty much super beatdown aka Vintage shops. It's perfectly fine to play and the hilarious thing is you can transition into Legacy versions with about 40-50% of the same cards.
>>
>>50541893
>like necropotence
>"""""""""""""balanced""""""""""""""""
>>
>>50540276

1 life is worth 1 card.
1-1.5 mana is worth drawing or seeing 1 card.
>>
>>50541994
>>50541632
Drawing a card is worth 0 mana. see Mishra's and Urza's baubles. Peek, opt and git probe all do something besides drawing a card
>>
>>50542038
Hell even the baubles have extra effects
>>
>>50542038

No I don't think you understand what a card is "worth" in normal expected terms and when a card is more efficient in comparison to the normal terms. The expected value of drawing or seeing a card is worth 1-1.5 mana. The Baubles are good because they're much more efficient than the given ratio of mana spent to cards drawn or seen. Peek, Opt and Git Probe all have other uses and are above the norm.
>>
>>50541942
That does sound like a nice idea. I'll definitely consider it.
>>
>>50542153

Bear in mind, there was a card printed in Standard called Ceremonious Rejection which can be a surprise card brought in against you. Given that your area has Bant Eldrazi already, some of the Grixis players may adjust their sideboards to contain a few copies after you start playing Eldrazi Tron. I'm not saying to not play the deck but i'm just saying that there is new tech on the radar to be aware of.
>>
>>50537275
This anon cant into moon runes
+2 put 2 +1/+1s on a creature
+1 reveal cards from top until you hit a creature put it in your hand put the rest on the bottom
-11 put X +1/+1 counters on a creature where X is life, it also gains trample until EoT
>>
>>50537275

What >>50542243 said isn't incorrect. You are both describing TWO different Ajani planeswalker cards from Aether Revolt. One is Ajani, the Unshakeable and the other is Ajani, Valorous protector. I suspect one of these is from the planeswalker precon decks and the other is from Aether Revolt.
>>
Does anyone have any tips on the Jund vs Tron matchup? I can't seem to win it even though i'm using Fulminator Mages in the sideboard, i tried using 3 of him and even Blood Moon but it seems like the tron player just holds o-stone until karn's silver dick is warmed up and then kaboom, game starts rolling in his favor every time
>>
File: 114.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
114.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>50542391
Also fuck this thing, can't believe i'd see this old mirrodin card again here

There's a reason it hasn't been reprinted since 10th eddition, completely shuts down all LD for no good reason and at a cheap rate too
>>
>>50542391
Tron doesn't fold to blood moon or targeted land destruction, they just keep making land drops and/or tutoring for redundant pieces, it only slows them down. Tron decks fold to pressure, if you blood moon them and then do nothing you are going to lose to turn 7 karn instead of turn 3 karn. As a jund player myself it's been my experience that our deck just can't reliably apply that much pressure early enough for it to matter unless we get the triple goyf discard god hand, even with Grim Flayer.
>>
>>50542391

Bring in all your Fulminator Mages and Thoughtseizes. That's about all you can do.
>>
>>50537369
God collected company is fucking cancerous
>>
>>50542406
>>50542391
Unless you're attacking their life total at a decent rate, like 2-3, sometimes 4 turn clock, Tron isn't going to care. They have O-Stone and Wurmcoil to stabilize, as well as whatever is in their colors, being Pyroclasm effects, Path, Blessed Alliance, etc. You're better off attacking with fulminator mages. Bring in every creature you have and just attack until they're dead or you lose.
>>
>>50542241
True, but I really don't know what to build, I sold my LED Dregde and I have some money to spend on whatever I want. I was thinking of Eldrazi, Nic Fit or spending it all on my competitive EDH decks
>>
>>50542898
You should build Bant Spirits, that's going to be the next big deck in Modern for sure, for the list of cards check out starcitygames

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=110032

As you can see this build by Joseph Horton Sr. took 2nd place at StarCityGames.com Invitational Qualifier on 11/27/2016

Read more on starcitygames.com
>>
>>50542898

May as well play Eldrazi then. You can literally play an Eldrazi deck that contains 0 power nine cards in Vintage and it will still be a competitively strong deck.
>>
>>50544054
I don't want to play Vintage, only Legacy. Eldrazi Stompy is one of the best decks in the format too.
>>
>>50532780

>4 mana
>For a creature below curve
>With a really mediocre ability

Sure
>>
Do I run 2 snap 2 clique or 2 snap 2 queller in esper mentor control
>>
>>50546711
Do whatever you want. It's not a real deck
>>
>>50546711
Dont lost to other anons. They only net deck because of their own personal insecurities. I still have hope for them.

The deck I run, runs all 4 snaps. He brings in a spell which utilizes well with mentor. Closing out with zealous persecution>snap>zealous is just plain bananas.

Have you got a list?
>>
>>50547053
>plays esper
>plays mentor
>muh net deckers

This is fucking gold
>>
How does this not fold to dredge?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14088&d=283770&f=MO

Is it remotely possible for any blue deck to beat dredge? Does any blue deck have better than a 50 - 50 with it?
Does any blue deck even have a 50 - 50?
>>
>>50547434
Merfolk laughs at dredge
>>
Good foreign channel to check out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX0sAQT__-wN1I1w9LwqFmQ/videos

tons of replays,recent, good amount of decks and all modern.
>>
>>50547434
I played against like 3-4 Faeries in a row on cockatrice. 2-0'd all of them because Faeries suck.

Merfolk's Spreading Seas are super annoying, though.
>>
>>50547881
stop shilling
>>
>>50547939
did come off pretty shill, but there's a lot of content and they only have 250 subs lol.
>>
>>50546711
Clique is much better because you still get value from it even if it dies immediately, which is likely to happen because you run so few other creatures.
>>
>>50546169

But see that's the best part, if you ever want to play Vintage you just take the same deck and jam in 4 copies of Null Rod!
>>
Red pill me on playing Merfolk.
>>
>>50538227
if you think that is bad you should see me going yolo spoils of the vault for angel's grace in response to lethal with ad nauseam in hand and 1 wincon and 3 spirit guides left in the deck.
>>
>>50549940
It has zero chance of getting anything banned.
>>
>>50547095

>Plays zealous persecution

it's like pottery
>>
>>50549940
it is a boring aggro deck for people who lack will and imagination.
>>
>>50550473
Aether vial ;^)
>>
bought my deck and proxies gonna learn to play modern with grixis ask me anything
>>
>>50550493
It's more of a meta call for 2 elves players at my store and lots of budget decks that rely on mana dorks.

Out of interest what deck do you play? Why? What deck you despise going against?

For me? It's tron. It's not a terribly difficult mu. I just hate the idea of Karn t3.
>>
Blood moon ban when?
>>
>>50534981
Sounds like all parties involved including youneed to git gud
>>
how do you guys feel about big naya zoo?
i really wanna play it and im sick of burn
thoughts on the list? my meta is affinity lantern control and valakut for the decks to beat

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-11-16-big-zoo/
>>
>>50534981
explain to him that the game is complex and if his tiny brain cannot processes more than one possible scenario, he would be happier sticking to hearthstone.
>>
>>50550760
link dont work
>>
Favorite build around cards? Looking for ideas
>>
>>50550760
>>50550984
shit my bad, forgot to make it public
>>
>>50551649
>>50550984
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-11-16-big-zoo/
>>
File: land.jpg (236KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
land.jpg
236KB, 1200x900px
>>50541312
>>50541355
janky delver manabase
endgame is -3 mire -1 island -1 crypt, +4 tarn +1 grave
>>
Could you play BR midrange in modern? I'm thinking Kalitas, Pia and Kiran, usual good stuff spells
>>
>>50539116
Well, a guy playing skred red was justifiably flustered when I, as Gr Tron, cast a Stronghold Sacred Ground off a Chromatic Star.
>>
>>50552359
People have been getting butt madd that I've been pathing creatures and playing RiP off my eggs in tron for ages
>>
>>50542038
>Drawing a card is worth 0 mana

And 1 card. It also involves variance because you spend a card to draw a card that you don't know what you're going to draw into. You're only replacing the one you used drawing it.

One **extra** card is usually worth about 3 mana. Read: spend 1 card, draw 2
>>
>>50554067
My favorite part about this post is how it said almost nothing, and yet managed to kill this thread
>>
I got back into Magic a couple months ago and decided that, since the majority of my collection fit into the Modern format, I would start here. Decided to build up Elves and have seen some success with splashing both white and black. I have had some difficulty against Jeskai control and the lone RG Scapeshift deck at my LGS - what tech am I missing?

Main

Creatures - 36

4x Llanowar Elves
3x Elvish Mystic
4x Heritage Druid
4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Elvish Visionary
4x Dwynen's Elite
1x Fauna Shaman
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Spellskite
4x Elvish Archdruid
2x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4x Shaman of the Pack

Instants - 7

4x Collected Company
3x Chord of Calling

Land - 17

1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1x Gilt-Leaf Palace
1x Pendelhaven
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1x Temple Garden
1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Blooming Marsh
2x Razorverge Thicket
3x Forest
2x Windswept Heath
1x Llanowar Wastes
1x Brushland

Side

1x Selfless Spirit
1x Phyrexian Revoker
1x Hushwing Gryff
1x Reclamation Sage
1x Leyline of Vitality
1x Essence Warden
1x Elvish Champion
1x Burrenton Forge-Tender
1x Chameleon Colossus
1x Eidolon of Rhetoric
2x Abrupt Decay
1x Kataki, War's Wage
1x Path to Exile
1x Choke
>>
>>50556253
You could try essence warden for the Scapeshift. If you're playing elves and dumping dudes on the board, the life gain could swing it in your favour. As for jeskai, idunnolol
>>
>>50552019
red splash hardly seems worth it.
>>
>>50556253

I will tell you that 17 land is just too low in Modern Elves. 18 is the absolute lowest you ever want to go. Forget Fauna Shaman and run a Reclamation Sage maindeck. You will have plenty of targets against many decks that you can Chord for it. Run only a singleton of Nykthos or cut it altogether, the last thing you ever want to see is it in your opening hand with a full plethora of Elves you cannot cast off it. If you have Cavern of Souls then jam them all in, it makes everything super consistent and fixes the mana you need. Replace 1 visionary with the 4th Elvish Mystic, this is not Legacy Elves where the Visionary gets super value with Glimpse of Nature and Wirewood Symbiotes.

Scapeshift is just a bad matchup, you just have to go fast. You can play cards like Pay No Heed though in the side for it but it's still a hard matchup. Now bear in mind some Elves lists have stopped playing Nettle Sentinel altogether and now run 4x copies of Essence Warden for gaining maximum value, I personally haven't tried it but you can experiment with it and test.

My current Elves list as is tuned for my meta. Elves is a deck you will have to continually tune all the time.

https://deckstats.net/deck-11814174-24b5cb15c4e2e7770da4e5b97b3536d1.html

Bear in mind you do not need to run 4x copies of Horizon Canopy. You can get fine perfectly on Razorverge Thickets or fetches. This is mostly just so I can squeeze out every single possible draw out of my deck for larger tournaments like GP's and PTQ's. Kambal is a relatively recent new addition for me to try.
>>
>>50550656

How have you not died from AIDS
>>
File: Capture.jpg (25KB, 208x281px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
25KB, 208x281px
>yfw Wizards finally printed a modern-playable counter
>>
>>50557623
fringe sideboard
>>
>>50557623
That is nice, but I wish we had a Squelch that could also counter triggered abilities.
>>
>>50556317
>>50557364

Thanks! I had been thinking about increasing my Essence Wardens, but hadn't thought to cut the Nettles for them. The Rec Sage and 4th Mystic make a lot of sense and I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately I have no Caverns and probably won't for some time, but the blue in my meta tends to be less counter-control than tempo.
>>
>>50558124

Elves despite having a general core list for the mystics, llanowars, archdruid, ezuri and heritage druid tend to have quite varied lists. You have mono G, GW, GB and GBW(aka Junk/Abzan) lists. Some lists don't play Visionaries or Nettle Sentinels and play like a "Warrior" list using other dudes like Imperious Perfect and Joraga Warcallers and other stuff. They're all viable lists to be honest but you just have to test and tune continually. But don't worry, the deck is a whole lot of fun so it never feels like a chore so you can almost always put in janky ass shit(e.g Athreos God of Passage) into your lists.

Biggest debate amongst Elves decks tends to either be what colour combinations and whether it's Chord of Calling or Lead the Stampede should be run and as such there is no consensus on one being flat out superior to the other so have fun testing and making a decklist you like!
>>
>>50557758

>I wish we had a Squelch that could also counter triggered abilities.

It's called Trickbind anon. It even has split second
>>
>>50558523
>It even has split second
But it doesn't cantrip, and thus is of no use to me.
>>
>>50558544

>But it doesn't cantrip, and thus is of no use to me.

Well I can't help you there. It's the best I could do.
>>
>>50556541
Bolt is pretty good + it makes nacatyl a 3/3
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 223x310px
>>50557623
well there goes voidslime
>>
>>50559337
Anyone who is playing blue is not also playing green unless it's infect or a jank temur deck.
>>
>>50559420
But even if you are playing green the new card is easier to cast and thus better.
>>
>>50542391
Just scoop and spend your time more constructively.
>>
>>50557623
really? link?
>>
What do you guys think about this deck that I stumbled upon while looking at budget options? I don't think I'd take it to any tournaments but it looks sort of fun to try.

http://www.mtgvault.com/jeremiahvedder/decks/modern-budget-sultai-wave/
>>
>>50542391
Game 1 is impossible.
Games 2 and 3 you have to have nearly all your Thoughtsiezes, fulminators, and Kolaghan's Commands.
>>
File: glint-nest crane.png (120KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
glint-nest crane.png
120KB, 223x311px
creatures
3 trinket mage
2 treasure mage
4 glint-nest crane
2 wurmcoil engine
1 thopter assembly
2 hangarback walker

stuff
4 expedition map
1 sensei's diving top
2 pithing needle
1 engineered explosive
1 chromatic star
1 mindslaver

more stuff
3 isochron scepter
2 lightning helix
2 dawn charm
4 fire // ice

lands//mana source
3 simian spirit guide
12 urza lands
4 city of brass
1 island
1 academy ruins
1 sea gate wreckage

I need three cards in the maindeck.
Was also thinking about sticking a different deck in the sideboard,like mini miracles or something.
>>
>>50564312

Sensei's Divining Top is banned in Modern. Seems like you're basically building some sort of Mono U Tron type deck. I suggest you look up a couple of related lists online and you can see where to go from there.
>>
>>50564447
Right on,thanks.
>>
>>50564312
Isochron scepter isn't going to work with such a low spell count
>>
Mono B aggro life loss

LAND
15 Swamp
4 Piranha Marsh
3 Leechridden Swamp

CREATURES
4 Pulse Tracker
4 Mardu Shadowspear
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Nether Traitor
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Spiteful Returned
3 Brutal Hordechief

ANTHEM
4 Bad Moon

REMOVAL
3 Unmake
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Profane Command

life lost on each attack, and enchant monster doesn't die if attached monster does.

thoughts?
>>
>>50566108
This is the competitive modern thread. Please read which threads you're posting in.
This is completely unrelated
>>
>made a meme deck
>only reason it works is meme moon
it's an okay feel
>>
File: 1440735296405.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1440735296405.gif
2MB, 448x252px
Why is Burn the comfiest modern deck?

>Very few bad matchups
>Easy sideboarding
>Straightforward gameplan
>Can handle any hate cards with smart sideboarding
>Cheap to build
>Every card makes great foils
>If your opponent mulligans you're almost guaranteed to win
>>
redpill me on burn
>>
>>50567568
count to 20
>>
>>50567642
count to 17 more like it
>>
>>50567642
alright I'll just go play my abzan booty tribal coco instead
>>
>>50567568
It's the goldfish deck. The deck is the gold-standard benchmark of the format.

I think every player should learn Modern by practicing with Burn against the field. However, after that, they should stop playing the fucking deck. I don't even show up to FNM anymore because often 2/4 rounds are Burn or Infect. It's like we're not even playing Magic.
>>
>>50567568
It's the best deck in the format, and loses to itself more than any other deck due to bad top decks.
>>
chances of Aethervial being reprinted in Modern Masters?
>>
>>50567720
I don't understand what Burn has become recently. People favor the Naya deck but it just exposes you to all the creature removal that's out there. The whole principle of burn is that each top-deck is live and in Naya many top-decks are garbage.

Either way, the percentage points you gain/lose by playing Naya and RW Burn are probably negligible.

>>50567803
Somewhere between 0-100%.
>>
>>50567856
I don't get it either. Nacatl gives you better game against red hate and better opening hands but I personally don't like it.
>>
>>50567803
0 cuz ut was Masterpiece
>>
>A playset of Selfless Spirit is almost as much as a single Snapcaster

just kill me
>>
>>50567941
Just play with snaps. Bolt, snap, bolt is the best feeling in magic
>>
What's your opinion on modern right now, balance ways? Any (un)bans that should be made?
Also what do you think a reasonable price for a top tier modern deck should be?
>>
>>50568292
Unban SFM
I don't think there's an exact ceiling I think decks should cost, but wizards should make a significant effort to reprint the more expensive cards to keep the prices down, which they're not doing at all right now.
>>
>>50568292
Read the links in the OP, that's what they're there for.

Our opinions don't matter. Have fun with what Modern is and deal with whatever Wizards throws our way.
>>
>>50568368
Is there a general range you're looking for?
I personally would say about 500 should be the median, that's average 6.67$ dollars a card.
>>
>>50568375
Just asking opinions, not because I think they will change anything, but because I'm curious what other people think it should be.
>>
>>50568221
I'm already getting 2 snaps but I've got no clue what to even build with them

I just don't want to buy Scalding Tarn
>>
>>50568451
buy more snaps. 40$ is the super low, and i don't think he's in danger of losing relevance.
>>
>>50568392
No particular range, I'd just like more of an effort for high demand cards to be printed in either standard or supplementary sets with a significant print run. I'd like 'can we print something from modern here' to be one of the primary question that's asked when designing every set, where as right now it feels very much like an afterthought.
>>
>>50567693
I had the same problem last night. My match-ups went Burn, Infect, burn, infect.
I was really fucking bored by the end of the night
>>
>>50568488
I'm a little hesitant just because I think Snap is 100% getting reprinted, but on the other hand I won't care by the time I could have a full playset
>>
>>50568451
>2 snaps
>no tarns
Esper Control
>>
>>50568741
I think considering the prices of enemy fetches, they're either highest on the modern staple reprint priority or should be. Liliana and Ancestral Vision would be nice but are used by few enough decks that they don't matter that much.
>>
>>50568777
Esper's pretty janky though.
>>
File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Any thoughts on any Gifts builds? I've been playing around with Esper Gifts with the good ol' Elesh/Iona Unburial package but was wondering about other builds.

Grixis sounds somewhat viable, I can imagine Gifts into Kolaghan's just being value.jpg.
>>
>>50568887
I used to play gifts, a 4c not red version. It didn't have any trouble with any match up in particular but just struggled a bit unless the opponent was stumbling on something. I could see a 4c not green list something like a Nahiri list being decent.
>>
>>50568819
theres nothing wrong with jank
>>
>>50569018
there is if you want to win
>>
>>50569018
i love playing jank when it's inexpensive standard jank, not expensive jank in other formats.
>>
>>50568819
Playing only 2 Snaps in a blue deck is inherently janky

So buy the other two or stop complaining
>>
>>50569195
i only have one, happily sitting in an edh deck. i'm a different person.
>>
>>50568741
You're going to be out 10~15 bucks total after reprinting, then he's going right back up.

Buy them now if it's the only thing holding you back from finishing.
>>
>>50568777
I can't argue with trips, Esper it is!

>>50569225
You're probably right, I still need to get a playset of flooded strand but I'll bite the bullet on more snaps
>>
>>50569287
why didn't you just get the strands while they were in print?
>>
File: 1481052338641.jpg (7KB, 304x324px) Image search: [Google]
1481052338641.jpg
7KB, 304x324px
>>50569327
Cause I've only been playing magic for about 5 months

>mfw seeing that Aether vial used to be ~$17
>>
>>50569287
>he fell for the esper control meme
>>
>>50569400
>tfw lilly and snaps used to be twenty when i started playing but i was too casual to want them
>>
>>50569499
But I love memes
>>
>>50569692
needs to have mystical teaching
>>
ITT: cards just WAITING to be broken
>>
>>50569741
What would you even fetch with that?
>>
>>50569767

another mystical teachings
>>
File: Image.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
122KB, 223x311px
>>50569758
Forgot pic lol
>>
>>50569741
Teachings is cool but the deck has too many 4 drops as it is.
>>
>>50569787
Then what do you fetch with that one?
>>
File: le_meme.jpg (11KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
le_meme.jpg
11KB, 178x248px
>>50569758

Haven't seen any Modern deck in MONTHS running this, the only downside I see is that it's not tutorable via Chord like Kiki Jiki but I see potential.
>>
>>50527349
You should run Promise of Bunrei
>>
>>50569832
Another one? Mystical Teachings is a 4 of in any Deck.
>>
>>50569845
>get 2 for 1'd by removal
it'll never be good
>>
>>50569832
He's memeing but a strategy for teachings in control mirrors is to fetch all of them and then flashback them to get something like Teferi that your opponent can't beat.
>>
>>50567381
>Straightforward gameplan

I don't like to be a 'burn is brainless' type of person but compared to something like Grixis or even Dredge when it really gets down to it, Burn is a really simple deck.
>>
>>50569888

Trips confirm

Wow I completely forgot it could fetch out Flash cards.
>>
>>50569904
>implying for a second that dredge isn't braindead
nah son
>>
>>50570291
are you trying to tell me that playing turn 1 neonate into turn 2 cathartic into turn 3 swing for 50 isn't skill based?
>>
>>50569904
Burn is great because you always have the same path to victory, you just need to plan your way there differently sometimes. Deciding to bolt a creature or prepping for a top deck is a big decision sometimes.
>>
>>50570528
>always have the same path to victory
desu senpai most decks have the goal of getting their opponent's Life to 0.
>>
>>50570542
Yes but burn's is always race as hard as you can. Very rarely do you take a controlling route or have to predict what your opponent will do.
>>
>>50570542
goal is 0 life, path to victory isn't the goal though
>>
post ur decks for us poor cock players to see
>>
>>50570528
The decisions you have to make in burn are easy, but if you get them wrong you are punished harder than any other deck.
>>
File: DnT.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
DnT.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>50572335
>>
>>50573164
Exactly. And even then sometimes there's no decision to make.
>>
Which of these three is most viable? White Tokens
W/G Tokens
Green Tokens
>>
>>50573329
If you're playing tokens without lingering souls you're doing it wrong
>>
>>50573329
BW. G is a shit color for tokens.
>>
File: 20160913_144027.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_144027.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>50572335
before cathartic reunion
>>
>>50573329
Use BW tokens. it MIGHT be possible to make some sort of RW all-in tokens build, but why do that unless you want to brew jank? if that is what you want be my guest, but the best build right now is BW. There is some discussion of mardu colors for bolt and a few other spells, but that is about it.
>>
File: IMG_6863.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6863.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>50573976
>>50573753
>>50573514
Have you three ever tried this before? If so how well did it work?
>>
>>50574012
It's a 3 card combo of pieces that aren't very good individually and vulnerable to many forms of removal.
>>
>>50573329
>green
i think green can't be fast enough to not need a splash for interaction, but i think there's jank potential
>>
>>50574012
To check out the tokens thread on mtgsalvation.
>>
>>50574012
Slow, easy to kill, doesn't win the game on the spot, cards essentially do nothing on their own. Just play good token generators and you'll win many more games anon.
>>
>>50528169
It probably looks better but that picture makes it look like ass
>>
Teach me how to white green deck. All of my expensive cards are white and green.
>>
>>50575045
Splash black or play hatebears/DnT
>>
>>50573329
You almost always need to splash black for tokens for lingering souls. GWb is janky but fun to play. I have Mardu tokens and it pulls it's own weight at fnm. I'm working on esper tokens too. Both builds shit on normal tokens and can actually compete against some of the tier 1 decks.

The combo you posted is just too janky. What if they kill your critter that makes tokens? Sure you could build it and have fun once in a while but sticking to the core concept of tokens: disrupt, remove, drop some bodies. It can't go wrong really.
>>
today's cockatrice highlight
this deck incites "This user is ignoring you" at an amazing rate
the other guy who blocked me was on ur storm... like, how can you be this tilted about me going off when your deck is meant to do essentially the same thing
>>
>>50575755
Why the fuck do you even bother using that fucking awful system?
>>
>>50576972
what' awful about it?
>>
>>50577006
X Mage actually makes you follow the rules so bs like this doesn't happen
>>
new thread when
>>
>>50577379
cockatrice has like 5 times the players. sure you have argue about basic rules once in a while, but the trade off is that you can find a game at any time of the day almost instatly
>>
>>50577379
well thanks to the replay feature i was able to see that he only had snare, snap, terminate, and 2 extraction in hand so i had him, and i'd already won game 1.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.