[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a sci-fi novel look like written in a fantasy universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

What would a sci-fi novel look like written in a fantasy universe?
>>
???

Same thing but replace retarded science by retarded magic.
Or otherwise wait few years until we will get 90's trilogy of Mistborn.
>>
>>50519868
What I think OP meant is that, if a character living in a fantasy setting wrote a science fiction novel, what would that novel be like?
>>
>>50519897
Reckon it would be pretty much same kind of novels we have now. But instead of QUANTUM and NANOMACHINES everything would be explained with WIZARDS FUCK YEAH!
Also Dragonstar is closest thing we will have to hard sci fi mixed with fantasy.
>>
>>50519317
explain your question better please.
>>
It depends on how much of real world physics and science is true for this world. If gravity is a Law, as in a magically enforced rule with no underlying rules or logic, relativity can take it up the butt.
>>
File: this.png (137KB, 609x147px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
137KB, 609x147px
>>50519317
>>
>>50519317
how is this /tg/ related in any way?

try harder next time OP. you dont need to make a thread for every shitty idea you have. wait until you have something interesting or coherent and especially /tg/ related, before posting.
>>
>>50523573
Shhhh
>>
It would look exactly like Dante's Inferno.
>>
File: 1471046805087.jpg (499KB, 1400x986px) Image search: [Google]
1471046805087.jpg
499KB, 1400x986px
Like a Jules Verne novel, or an increasing number of sci-fi novels as what was a peek into tomorrow becomes increasingly obsolete as technologies writers couldn't possibly imagine become real.

Or like a swords and planets novel.
>>
>>50519317
If you're talking about the technology-type sci-fi and not "what do people in fantasy worlds think the future would be like" there would probably be a lot of metal devices that mechanically duplicate the effects of magic spells and items, through poorly-described superscience.

If you are asking what people would think the future would look like, it would either be "more magic everywhere, aint it great!" or "more magic everywhere, and it made everything go to shit."
>>
>>50519317
Dune.

>>50523573
Back to the Paizo forums, newfag. Shoo shoo!
>>
>>50524964
>Paizo
I dont know what that is. and I've been here for 5 ish years. maybe longer.
>>
>>50519317
It would use whatever present topics of research they had and figured would someday be viable:

If they're working on 'world creation' magic, maybe they have a book set in a created world.
If they have prototype steam engines, maybe they have a world covered with steam trains.
There might also be alien creature fantasies like The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.
>>
>>50519317
Inversions by Iain M Banks
or the cyborg & the sorcerers by Lawrence Watt-Evans
>>
>>50519317
Dishonored is a fantasy setting with sections of a sci-fi novel in it's readable one-page books. The themes of the novel are pretty clever, makes the book feel like something that a person living in Dunwall would write; technology marching at break-neck pace and religion losing its impact in comparison, through the framing device of a space rocket fuelled by magical whale oil. It's the sort of thing Lovecraft would have written if he hadn't been a colossal /pol/lack.

http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Call_to_the_Spheres,_Vol_1

My stomach twisted as the engines of the old vessel roared louder. It was the creation of Orchado, Third Prefect from the Academy of Natural Philosophy. He was exhilarated, savoring each of the small craft's undulations. Orchado pulled a lever and a great gout of smoke surrounded us. The smell of burning whale oil grew unbearable as the machine propelled itself upward.

I was too afraid to look through the window, which suddenly didn't feel thick enough. As if knowing my thoughts, Overseer Bryn looked at me and smiled; "Recite some the Litany, my pupil. It will protect your heart from the turpitude of the Void on our way to the Outer Spheres.''
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.