[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 39

File: every rogue trader ever.jpg (320KB, 1010x989px) Image search: [Google]
every rogue trader ever.jpg
320KB, 1010x989px
Overreacting Rogue Trader Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?

Old thread: >>50455730
>>
>>50514559
>What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?
Our Rogue Trader once dueled a rival in the middle of the party infront of an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor. Now normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal except the RT uses a best quality Eldar power sword he took off a howling banshee exarch. The result was the Inquisitor inviting the party to tea the next day and instead we took a long long tour of the dynasties holdings in the southern reaches.
>>
>>50514795
That was probably a plot thread you missed.
>>
>>50514559
How would RPing Death Korps soldiers in an inquisitorial retinue go?
Background:
My players lead by their inquisitor wanted to requisition a Subterranean assault Death Korps crew for a battle I honestly have no idea how that particular confrontation would go
>>
>>50514559
>What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?

fortunately avoided it via fate point reroll
first mission as deathwatch kill-team
An Imperial Fist Tact Marine (me), a Blood Angels Librarian, a Salamanders Assault, and another Raven Guard Tact (DMPC due to 4 person module but insufficient player amount)
Deal with xeno artifacts on planet that is currently war site between IG and Tau
Our rolls were the main culprit in our near-failure as proper spess mehreens.

We get flown in via Thunderhawk, drop into live combat, I'm SL, we have to help defend
I land, try to spray the horde of kroot in front of me, and jam my bolter.
First time into actual combat as part of DW and i fuggit up already

Later on, active xeno artifact tries to fear us, WP check
should be GG, IF get +10 to WP on char creation.
End up rolling worst among the entire group

Meanwhile, Librarian is very liberal with his application of the Warp
Thanks to fate point rerolls, narrowly manages to avoid summoning a daemon prince TWICE during the mission.

Majority of kills end up being done by the Salamanders and the Raven Guard, with my genre savviness and my character's piety ending up causing some good planning and some decent persuasion
And the Librarian, not having learnt his lesson, ends up getting 7 corruption points and giving me 1 due to Perils of the Warp (can't remember the specifics, so don't ask)
>>
>>50514559

Abandoned plot thread in a Hive to investigate another in the neighboring one.

By the time we returned, having destroyed Hive 2 with the explosives the local heretics intended to destroy it with in order to stop the Greater Daemon that manifested as the result of a bad roll by a sorcerer we were trailing, Hive 1 was teeming with Plague Zombies.

And then it turned out Hive 2 being destroyed awakened another Greater Daemon entombed beneath it.

It ended in Exterminatus.
>>
>>50514559
Is there any more information on why FFG isn't renewing/is losing the WH40k license?

Is there any chance of the license being snapped up by Wizards or Paizo?
>>
>>50514559
Anyone ever thought of playing OW/BC/DH2/RT during the Horus Heresy. I'd love to run a game in during and even before the HH. Problems I have though is that there need to be stats for a ton of new weaponry plus gear. And more importantly I'm trying to think of how DH game would work pre creation of Inquisition. Would that just mean the only systems (lore wise) that would be appropriate would be RT, OW and BC. Anyways anyone else interested in making a homebrew rulebook/splatbook to port the current systems into the HH setting?
>>
File: sad lkrieg.jpg (330KB, 1121x2048px) Image search: [Google]
sad lkrieg.jpg
330KB, 1121x2048px
>>50515447
Aren't they just creepy and obedient all the time?
And zealous, but in a weird, dispassionate way. So if you start waving chaos shit around they'll probably shoot you, but otherwise they obey every order without question.
Though honestly, I think Death Korp psycho-conditioning could probably provide a good baseline for a radical inquisitor to mold to his will.
They're already obedient, fearless and incorruptible, all you have to do is instill in them absolute obedience to the Inquisitor and then you could have a kill squad that doesn't balk at massacring other servants of the Emperor to secure a relic for you, nor will they ever start getting curious about using the dark powers for *their* own ends.
Although, they might be so devout that you can't re-program them away. I haven't read their novels yet, so I dunno.
Anyway, I'd just suggest playing up the fact that they're very morbid and matter of fact about everything. They might casually suggest moving through an area of fatal levels of radiation, because it'll take several hours for them to die and in that time they can finish the mission while having an acute tactical advantage based on coming from an unexpected area.
Other than that, they don't really speak unless spoken to, and tend to keep to themselves.

My headcanon is that Krieg secretly all have wonderful singing voices, due to their heavy tradition of military cadences and moral songs. Inspired by this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ
>>
>>50516225
I'm with you with the voice thing
That's what I was thinking but it's mentioned they occasionally let their emotions slip and ... well it's weird.
Anyway I meant in the capacity of the inquisitor and the acolytes actually talking to the general and asking him to borrow a team. How would he react? How would the troops? Would he have any objections? There's nothing he can do about inquisitorial forces taking units but at the same time he won't be able to complete his objective? Idk it's just bugging me
>>
>>50516020

the Fringe is Yours already did that.
>>
>>50515939
It has been speculated that FFG lost the license because they were starting to become actual competitors of GW, what with X-Wing.

As for where the license will go... No one knows. It's probably still being negotiated over at the moment. I can't imagine it'll disappear into the ether though. Dark Heresy and the like are very popular.

>>50515334
I always get so worried about those. Is it a trap or actually something beneficial? Was the Inquisitor honestly intrested in the story behind the sword and nothing more? Could there have been a new ally there? Was it actually just an obvious trap? We'll never know.
>>
File: 1471232059565.gif (9KB, 367x190px) Image search: [Google]
1471232059565.gif
9KB, 367x190px
>>50514559
Here ya go /40krpg/, I placed the 9 loyal first founding chapters in relation to the Enneagram. The following are the individual and overall chapter personality matched with their Enneagram typing...

>Type 1
Ultramarines, 1s are known as the reformers. Shouldn't be a surprise why the Ultramarines would be reformers since everyone knows the pushed the Codex Astartes one the other chapters. Ultramarines are also perfectionists and idealistic in trying to live up to the Codex. Unhealthy 1s can come off as dogmatic and are often hostile to people who refuse to cooperate with them in doing what 1s view as the “right thing”. They are both self-righteous and inflexible in their approaches.

>Type 2
Salamanders, 2s are also known as helpers. Both Salamanders and 2s are people-pleasing and generous. This is seen in the Salamanders caring for civilians and maintain a close relationship with their successor chapters. 2s are warm people which the Salamanders can be as well, both for their caring nature and their love of fire and burning things. Both can be possessive, this type of activity is seen in the Salamanders as they are obsessed in collecting Vulkon’s artifacts and keeping their technology to themselves. Salamanders and 2s can be dependent of others, this is seen with their reliance on dragons in their homeworld and with their obsession with their primarch. Salamanders even formed their own cult dedicated to Vulkan, the Promethean Cult. Salamanders believe you are only as weak as your weakest link, because of this each Salamander is expected to not only carry their weight but to be as useful as possible. This because of their reliance in small companies that breaks away from the Codex Astartes, this forces the Salamanders to do multiple jobs for a given mission.
>>
>>50518427
>Type 3
White Scars, 3s are as known as the achievers. White Scars and 3s are success-oriented and pragmatic, everything they do is to ensure total victory. White Scars recruits are taken from planets where local gangs battle each other for membership within the chapter, this ensures the White Scars with the most brutal and toughest marines. White Scars and 3s are highly driven in the quest of being the best. White Scars strive to be the best mobile fighters and will actively pit their skills against Elders or Orks to see who’s the best biker. Image is very important to both White Scars and 3s. White Scars take time and care for their moustaches, flowing hair and bikes. They are both very cultured and poised, with White Scars writing pottery and wearing fine silk in their downtime.

>Type 4
Iron Hands, 4s are known as the individualists. I was tempted putting [Spoiler] the Space Wolves [/Spoiler] here but the Iron Hands are the chapter I feel that are most dramatic, temperamental and obsessed with their self-image. 4s view themselves being different from the others, much like how the Iron Hands view other chapters as being weak due to relying on flesh rather than on cyber-enhancements. They both can be selfish in views, often caring only about themselves. This contempt of others is expressed in the Iron Hands’ philosophy known as the Tempering. 4s love art and use it to express their individuality, Iron Hands use technology as their muse, their vehicles are a work of art. Iron Hands and 4s are the most regenerating of the chapters and typings, as they believe their experiences or injuries can be used in transforming themselves into their ideals. Iron Hands and 4s are highly inspired in their views and both can be self-destructive.
>>
File: Chapter.jpg (63KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter.jpg
63KB, 1280x1024px
>>50518427
>>50518438
>Type 5
Raven Guard, 5s are known as the investigators. Raven Guards and 5s are secretive and isolated compared to other chapters and typings. They believe in studying a situation or an enemy thoroughly before engaging or making decisions. Raven Guards prefer identifying and attacking weak points rather than all-out assault. Both place a high value on knowledge, with Raven Guard using scouts and Covert Ops to uncover and gather enemy secrets. They both can be highly intelligent and reasonable but they can often at times be reclusive.

>Type 6
Dark Angels, 6s are as known as the loyalists. No one is more loyal than the Dark Angels…NO ONE! Dark Angels and 6s can be bit of a paradox, often relying or rebelling against authority. Both are very committed to their mission and value security, often using a “by any means necessary” to secure it. Because of this, they both can be anxious and volatile in their actions. Dark Angels and 6s are suspicious of “outsiders” and act standoffish towards them. They both develop a strong sense of “brotherhood” to those who do earn their loyalty, often sacrificing themselves for others within their groups. Dark Angels and 6s stress the value of comradeship and intense bond that they develop a “us vs. them” mentality.

>Type 7
Blood Angels, 7s are known as the enthusiasts. 7s are spontaneous and rely on their feelings to fuel them, much like how the Blood Angels rely on blood. When 7s are unhealthy they can have extreme mood swings and are desperate to silence their anxieties much like the Blood Angels' Black Rage and Red Thirst. Despite this, 7s are quite optimistic much like their primarch. Due to their long life, Blood Angels can be scattered and love learning new skills much like real-life 7s do.
>>
File: IF_&_UM_vs._Chaos.png (2MB, 1122x744px) Image search: [Google]
IF_&_UM_vs._Chaos.png
2MB, 1122x744px
>>50518427
>>50518438
>>50518458
>Type 8
Space Wolves, 8s are also known as challengers. 8s and Space Wolves are self-confident, aggressive and strong. They both can come off as arrogant bullies, which in the Space Wolves case had them fight with both loyal and non-loyal chapters. They are both assertive, example of the Space Wolves refusing to follow the Codex Astartes. The Space Wolves reliance on Rune Priests goes against the ban on using sorcery. When a Space Wolf shows up on your planet...you know there's going to be a fight!

>Type 9
Imperial Fists, 9s are also known as the peacemakers. Accepting and trusting, Imperial Fists and 9s are some of the most loyal people and chapter out there. They have earned the right to call Terra their homeworld. Imperial Fists and 9s are stubborn and often downplay problems, which leads to Imperial Fists to get stuff done despite everything falling apart about them. Despite their hard-work and success, Imperial Fists and 9s can be self-effacing which often makes them play second fiddle to other chapters like the Ultramarines. Though Imperial Fists and 9s are complacent and having a smug air about them as they believe to truly be the best chapter around that can ensure victory. They both care about keeping the peace and often act as a mediator to solve disputes. The Imperial Fists actively tried to keep the Imperium and fiercely defend it from attacks. They are both stoic and slow to change. Yet they can change their views and opinions to promote harmony, like their primarch did to keep the peace by breaking up his chapter according to the Codix. Both retreat to their fantasy or safe place, for the Imperial Fists…this is the pain glove.

Let me know what ya think!
>>
>>50518374
I've heard that FFG declined to renew, not that they lost the license.
>>
Did anything ever explain the Hereticus Tenebrae in Dark Heresy, the Warp Gate in Deathwatch, or the Heart of Cthulgha in Only War?
>>
>>50518567
I do know they left the Hereticus Tenebrae deliberately unexplained throughout Dark Heresy's entire run.

It's whatever the GM decides it should be.
>>
>>50518427
>>50518438
>>50518458
>>50518484
Interesting anon but uh...wrong thread?
>>
>>50517656

Well, I guess that's that then.
>>
Can multiple branches of one family hold multiple levels of Rogue Trader Warrants?
>>
>>50518567
>>50518587
What about the future where people are worshiping shadows and Fahid Constantine is a traitor from the last Haarlock adventure? What was that supposed to be a reference to?
>>
>>50519520
I don't quite understand the question. So, I'm going to say no.
>>
>>50520506
Like, if you have one person holding the Greater Warrant of Trade for the family, but then some cousin buys a Lesser Warrant of Trade from some other failed Rogue Trader, or a distant uncle finds a Warrant of Trade on a space hulk, then what?

Are you all Rogue Trader of the House of Whatever?

Do you start your own House?

Or is it just considered invalid since you've been granted a warrant already for your bloodline?
>>
>>50520845
There are no lesser or greater warrants. Warrants are granted to specific people and/or families to accomplish some specific goal.

Finding a warrant of trade would be useless because you would not be of that particular family. Now if the family is all dead you could easily argue you were a long lost relative and no one would question you, because you have a warrant of trade.
>>
>>50521011
>Finding a warrant of trade would be useless because you would not be of that particular family
Not all warrants are so specific - some entitle the bearer, the owner of a specific voidship, etc, or use other particular terms.
>>
>>50521155
>>50521011
Doesn't Rogue Trader have at least one character who won the Warrant in a card game?
>>
>>50521155
>>50521289
That seems like a really irresponsible way to give out power rivaling an Inquisitor. But then again this is the empire that took their most valuable military asset and divided into segments so small they couldn't possibly launch any major operations then made them all totally autonomous and answerable to no one.
>>
>>50521661
>But then again this is the empire that took their most valuable military asset and divided into segments so small they couldn't possibly launch any major operations then made them all totally autonomous and answerable to no one.

And there is good reason for this.
>>
>>50514559
They destroyed a Hammerhead in duel. With a damaged Leman Russ so damaged it wasn't much more than a battle canon on threads.
I'll admit, out of universe I got the Hammerhead stats wrong. Like, so much, much wrong.

But I decided to work this feat in the campaign. They are now in custody under potential treason suspicion and will work under strict commisarial surveillance.
They where EXTREMELY lucky not being immediatly BLAMmed, but the commissar is not an idiot and don't want to waste efficient manpower while the IG forces on the ground are pretty much almost wiped out. And I don't want them to have such a good death. I swear, I will break them before.

Now I just need to find what kind of mission they could accomplish to "prove" their loyalty. Something vital doesn't sound to be an option. But something meaningless wouldn't be really interesting. What do you think /tg/?
>>
>>50522331
>Destroy a hammerhead
>under potential treason suspicion
Wait isn't a hammerhead a Tau vehicle? Why would they be anything other than heroes?
>>
File: 1283389633399.jpg (276KB, 1139x308px) Image search: [Google]
1283389633399.jpg
276KB, 1139x308px
>>50522215
Precisely. Divided we stand, united we fall.
>>
>>50522508
Because you don't destroy a Hammerhead in duel with a Leman Russ that is little more than a rolling piece of junk. Especially when the Hammerhead have terrain advantage.
Long story short, they can't really prove their identities because of jammed communications and a semi-orbital deployment that went to hell almost instantly. And Tau forces on the planet are using native Gue'La.
The Commissar doesn't think Tau would sacrifice one of their precious Hammerhead just to infiltrate spies. Which is exactly why he is suspicious.

They are heroes. If they weren't they would already have been shot.
(And I know the logic is faulty. But the Commissar don't.)
>>
>>50518553
Given their statements, I don't think so, though that could just be clever PR.
>>
>>50518567
>>50518587
I have a dream of running it as the imprisoned C'tan Tsara'noga, the Outsider, and that it's actually responding to psyker outbursts and warp bursts, not causing them. And that there are psychic-engines like the one from Faith and Fire throughout various planets, hidden away, and the campaign would be about discovering and deciding what to do with them, including potentially activating the network that could potentially cause the entire Calixis Sector to awaken psychic powers.
>>
>>50523385
Source? That's kind of what I'm looking for.
>>
>>50523495
We see in >>50520213 Haarlock's Legacy #3 that Komus, The Tyrant Star actually manifests something in the distant future if Haarlock is allowed to return, and it mutates people and creates "Twilight Stalkers." It's sign is a 3-toed claw facing down, as described in the Core Rulebook.

Would this be something that the Outsider could do, or another of the C'Tan? Especially since it seems to make humans worship it, rather than exterminating them, and can darken stars.
>>
File: Ross Watson.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ross Watson.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Ask a Crusader who discovered the secret of the Tyrant Star and killed Haarlock anything.

This was my GM
>>
>>50514559
When we decided to disguise ourselves as Sororitas to infiltrate a covent and try to talk in private with the Canoness.
This went as well as you'd expect.
>>
>>50523650
It's arguably whatever you want it to be, like, it's intentionally never EXPLICITLY stated.
>>
>>50523765
I snickered
>>
>>50523773
I mean, I can see how it could be a C'tan, I just feel like the darkness theme means it wouldn't be an Outsider.
>>
>>50523755
how big is his dick
>>
>>50524149
No clue, didn't check.
>>
In DH2e, would you rate the Assassin's role bonus or the Crusader's role bonus higher?
>>
>>50526244
Yes.

Are you regularly rolling vs Fear? How important is getting Finesse by Role for you? Do you use firearms more often/exclusively?
>>
>>50526326
>Yes.
Uh...
>Are you regularly rolling vs Fear?
Fairly yes, at least when shit matters, but then
>Jaded
>Finesse importance
I can manage.
>Firearms
I am going full 50cuffs, mate.
>>
>>50526464
And what do you do when a enemy is across a wide gap or is shooting down from a window?
>>
>>50526559
I am speccing in fisticuffs, that doesn't mean I won't have a gun, Emperor wept, anon, I'm not STUPID, I just have my niche.
>>
>>50526464
>Uh...
If that's where I lost you, you need to put some effort in.

>Stuff
So when you scrape down to the bottom of the barrel, it's just not that big a diff for you.

Fuckin ... pick the one that gives you better xp costs for the shit you want to buy, mate. You haven't said what that is, so you may have to sit down and think about it.
>>
>>50526566
That better include a power fist or other melee weapon.
>>
>>50526592
>You haven't said what that is
Because it actually doesn't matter, anon, and that wasn't the question at all.
You have made the mistake of ignoring my question and giving an answer that wasn't asked for. So please stop ignoring the question, and kindly keep other advice until it's been answered.
>>50526595
Eh, somewhere. I have a lot of options open, actually.
>>
>>50526633
It's not ignoring the question. It's digging for a personalised answer. If you hadn't been so vague, you would have a clearer reply. So kindly keep your shit stowed, and if you don't like the result you achieved, remind yourself that no one else cares more than you do.
>>
>>50523755

How does it feel to know what you did doesn't matter because everyone has their own feeling on what the tyrant star is, so your story will always feel wrong to everyone but you?
>>
>>50529611
Not so bad. The purpose of the Tyrant Star is to have an open ended plot hook for DMs to use, so having stories be different is a given.

Beyond that, Ross was pretty clear that it was his ending to the storyline, and that the other devs had their own versions.
>>
>>50529611
>>50529747
Leave it to 40k to have a plot hook that manages to make the players feel insignificant in real life too.
>>
>>50514559

For some reason, one player understood the importance of not revealing that the PCs are part of the Inquisition, but would regularly approach NPCs with "hey I'm an Arbitrator". Had to explain to him why bad things kept happening to the group sometimes.
>>
>>50514559

First time we played Dark Heresy 1e, two of our party members thought it'd get shit done to run around saying 'We're agents of the Inquisition!' whenever an obstacle came up. Result was us never inviting them to another game of DH after this constant dick waving of non-existent authority nearly got us TPK'd.
>>
>>50523755
And what was his version of it?
>>
>>50515447
Why would you rp a guardsman from a regiment that you have no idea about? Its like roleplaying a techpriest and not knowing shit about admech lore.

Just reroll to a non brand name guardsman or a cadian otherwise you are going to play this off as a compete hack.
>>
>>50529868
You didn't actually read his post, did you?
>>
>>50529833
Tyrant Star was a Dolmen Gate being powered by energies from the Screaming Vortex, which Haarlock was using in an attempt to reverse time to bring back his wife and child. He'd made some sort of deal with the Necrons to get the technology, and had been spending the last eight centuries trying to find the perfect moment so he could undo everything. The whole doom of worlds thing was entirely incidental, he didn't even realize the star was doing the damage. He also didn't care, of course. It was ultimately the Ordo Chronos who was aware of what he was doing, and the ones attempting to stop him.
>>
bumpan
>>
So, what's the way to build a stealth sniper?

I've tried to emulate vindicare (so far Assassin), but my needle rifle just isn't cutting it. It's just really hard to one shot people wearing armor, even if you get the drop on them with a long-ranged headshot.

Is there a better way to do long-ranged assassinations with a rifle and avoid getting picked up? Or is CQC the best source of quiet DPS?
>>
>>50523765
Were the characters female?
>>
>>50514559
Our Arch-Militant blurted out "but we ARE going to kill him afterwards, right?" on vox while our Captain was negotiating a deal with a secessionist traitor. This wouldn't be so bad, since there wasn't really anyone else on the planet capable of eavesdropping, if he hasn't been in the same room.

The end result of this was a collapsed "palace", a wounded leg, several hundred dead, a Missionary on the bottom of a lake and an arrow through the head of a very upset Explorator.
>>
>>50532828
There's the needle upgrade that makes the needle rifle lose toxic and gain like felling and extra pen. You could also use a straight sniper rifle or long las or even that weird long las that fires outside of the visible light spectrum.
>>
>>50532828
Long las, shot selector, hotshot laspacks.
>>
>>50533783
Whoa whoa, which long las fires outside the spectrum?

Also which splat has that upgrade?

This is kinda exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>50532828
>He fell for the 'needle rifles can actually kill anything' meme
laughingeldarsluts.jpg
>>
>>50534210
No, I recognised it sucked, but I needed a weapon that is completely silent both on shot and impact and makes no muzzle flash so it can't provoke a perception.

I was willing to sacrifice some damage for that.
>>
To put a little context on my scenario, my brawler guardsman lost his chainsword a couple of missions ago and command has seen fit to issue me with a chainaxe. Last session command once again gifted me with a new weapon, a powerfist this time.

Is it a good idea to go two weapon weilder with two unwieldy weapons?
>>
>>50534245
Ah. Personally I'd go the other direction, and use a longlas or sniper, and simply make my sniping perch nearly undetectable. Or alternatively, invest in Agility and sprint the fuck outta town after you take a shot.
>>
File: Jojo Joseph Best Girl.png (823KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Jojo Joseph Best Girl.png
823KB, 1280x720px
>>50532996

Bride of the Emperor~!
>>
File: 1299601996573.png (321KB, 1095x2380px) Image search: [Google]
1299601996573.png
321KB, 1095x2380px
bump
>>
File: 1384372368612.gif (791KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1384372368612.gif
791KB, 480x360px
>starting a BC campaign
>make a Champion, GM is saying it'll be an all CSM campaign
>get really attached to character after a few solo sessions
>other players come in and make characters
>Psyker
>Renegade
>>
>>50536251
Problem?
>>
>>50536425
1 CSM, 2 Humans.
>>
>>50536796
Yes ...
>>
>>50536810
Have you ever played BC?

Welcome to balance nightmare.
>>
>>50536810
I think some people can't play with differing 'power levels' in games, despite the fact that CSM's are useless beyond useless outside of combat.
>>
Should I make a thread where I construct the Warhamme40k universe based only on 8 years of second-hand exposure via /tg/?
>>
>>50533878
Dark Heresy Ascension or Inquisitors Handbook, I forget which.
>>
>>50536854

Half the Imperium would be orks with paper bags on their heads.
>>
>>50536864
I found it, it was Rogue Trader - Hostile Acquisitions.
>>
>>50536921
Ah well fuck my memory.
>>
>>50536943
Don't worry about that, just thanks for letting me know about it.
>>
>>50536825
I'm not a big supporter of GMs "balancing" play for players that don't listen. It's CSM difficulty, you chose human, now let's go bitches.
>>
>>50537047
>You'll play the way I want because I'm the GM
You sound pretty fucking fun.
>>
>>50537178
Not him, but fuck your speshul snowflake. Learn how to play with others. Learn how to play a game in its intended spirit. Learn that not every fucking thing has to revolve around you.
>>
>>50537178
And you sound like an exasperating example of snowflakery and contrary tendencies.

If hypothetically you joined a game about a CSM warband, knowing it's 100% expected to play a CSM, then decided you have to be something unique and different ... well, you claimed you wanted in on this game, and you made that choice. I'm going to assume you can think, reason, and act with the maturity of an adult until you prove otherwise.
>>
>>50537178
you play the way you want to, but accept the consequences of being a meatbag in a monster truck rally
>>
>>50537393
>>50537297
>>50537285
As the CSM player, I'm all for the other guys getting smacked up for being stupid and stubborn, but as the only CSM I can already feel like I'm about to be the monster truck at a go cart rally because 2 players vs 1. Luckily I don't think anyone will blame me because I did make this fucking character first, but I can smell the balance tears already.
>>
>>50537494
That's unfortunate. I ran five sessions of a mixed BC campaign and didn't have any problems. I made extensive use of the horde rules for combat and was able to play up the importance of the human characters by tying them in heavily to the particular world that the players were involved in. The marine characters had much more esoteric understanding and were obviously physically more impressive, but no player felt like they were being underplayed.

The campaign consisted of trying to organize a freshly rebelled Feudal/Imperial-level planet into a fighting force that would've been able to push back the Imperial retribution fleet that was coming to retake the planet in six months.
>>
>>50537759
I know I definitely had a issue when I played. Our Traitor Guard was next to useless compared to my psyker, and the GM worked to let him develop a squad to somewhat compensate.

Even then it didn't really work. I think CSM have a good spot, if anything, baseline human guards have an issue, especially with CSM or good psykers in the party.
>>
>>50537871
Our group consisted of the following:

A Forsaken of the Doom Legion
An Apostate who was local to the world
A Warpsmith
and a Xurant Frost Father that was refluffed to fit the world.

No real problems that I could think of off the top of my head. Every player felt like they contributed pretty well.
>>
>>50537297
>>50537393
>>50537494
>people that haven't played BC
The problem isn't that CSMs are too good in combat, the problem is they're completely useless at everything else. CSM players will literally sit at the table fucking around on their phones until the Apostle needs them to make an example of someone or the party gets attacked.
>>
>>50538195
That depends entirely on the GM. A full CSM party is all combat, all the time. A mixed party is the CSM sitting around and then absolutely demolishing any type of combat encounter when it happens.
>>
>>50538230
>CSM all combat
I'll take What is Worse than Deathwatch for 200 Alex.
>>
File: tumblr_np127cXnih1r5k5j7o5_1280.jpg (522KB, 1280x767px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np127cXnih1r5k5j7o5_1280.jpg
522KB, 1280x767px
Would Rogue Trader of Deathwatch be a good starter campaign for a party that is mostly new to TTRPGS and whos knowledge of 40k barely extends past the artwork I used to pitch the setting to them?
>>
>>50538759
Talk to your players: find out what characters they'd like to play, then go off that.
>>
>>50538759
RT, getting people new to 40k to properly RP Space Marines tends to be a Bad Idea. They'll get bored, and it'll sour them to the setting.

Just go RT. Pitch it as Grimdark Star Trek and let them run with that.
>>
>>50538759
Rogue Trader, the players have alot of autonomy, they have a large collection of resources, and since they're flying around unexplored space they don't need to have alot of setting knowledge.

I pitched it to my players (who only really had DnD experience) as you start with all of your average adventurer's goals accomplished. You have a vast number of servants and soldiers, you have so much wealth that calculating it as a dollar figure would be pointless, you have (what is essentially) a massive flying fortress that has armaments capable of laying siege to an entire planet, and because of all this you are answerable to almost no one. Now since you have all of these things, your goal is simple, to blaze your name across the stars that no one will forget it for a hundred generations. How you do that, is for you to decide.
>>
>>50532996
>An old , PTSD-ridden, trigger-happy Commissar
>A fabulously beautiful (40k standards) psyker born in a noble house.
>A gun-nuts Techpriestress borderline heretek.Obviously inspired by RWBY but I think I'm the only one who caught the reference.
>A Elysian trooper, amongst the few survivor of a warp catastrophe with an uncanny ability to blow shit up.

I don't really know if any of us actually though the plan was gonna work, everybody just kinda rolled along without questionning the idea even a single instant before it was too late.
>>
I'm in a DH2 game, and a fellow player is looking for ways to be a complete asshole in combat. Not high damage, multiple hits, or anything straightforward like that, though. Things that'd make him a pain to deal with, like Shocking, the Disarm talent, and shoving people to the ground with Takedown. Any other ideas?
>>
>>50514559
Biggest faux pas
The Captain held a meeting with a sort-of rival while his bodyguard hid in the trunk of a car, watching through a high powered scope to intervene if it was an ambush. About halfway through the meeting the bodyguard decided to turn on the laser pointer on his rifle and explicitly waved the pointer around on the rivals chest until he noticed.
This, of course, did not go over well. Arbites were called and there were accusations of attempted assassination.
To try and 'correct' this the bodyguard took a shot at his own boss (deliberately missing of course) to ray and divert attention. He did not realise this would alert every arbiter on the street to his location, and the session culminated with him hiding in the trunk of a car while the ship's Void Master was trying to out-run the Arbites, who were shooting at them with a Heavy stubbed mounted on their car.
That was not a good business meeting.
>>
File: 1815027-billy_butcher.jpg (108KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1815027-billy_butcher.jpg
108KB, 640x960px
So, would a Billy Butcher-esque character work? Maybe in BC as a psyker-killer that uses sorcery? Fits the whole "using Compound V to kill supes" thing from The Boys.

Also, THE BOYS TV SERIES HYPE
>>
>>50542093
>So, would a Billy Butcher-esque character work?
Eh?
>>
>>50542101
Alright, how to summarize this without summarizing all of The Boys...

Billy Butcher is a former Royal Marine that fought in the Falklands War, massive anger issues, only person who could calm him down was his wife. His wife, who ends up getting raped by a supe and killed when the supe fetus rips its way out. He takes a job with the CIA to avoid getting blamed for his wife's death, injected with the same compound that makes superheroes, and creates a black team to monitor, police, and kill wayward supes. In his mind, ALL supes are dangerous psychopaths, and he engineers a curbstomp of a war between humanity and the supes, supes lost. He then tries to use a chemical weapon to wipe out anyone with even a hint of Compound V in their system, which at this point, is around 90% of the human race, thanks to Vought-American being lazy shits.

And I ended up just summarizing The Boys badly. Shit.
>>
>>50542143
So I'm thinking a way to translate that to BC would be a former Throne Agent guardsman who went off the deep end using any tactic he could to kill psykers. Just psykers, he'd have massive tunnel vision in that regard. He'd even work with controllable psykers, he'd just plan to kill them last.

Yeah, fuck it, Billy Butcher can't be translated to 40kRPG without the player coming off as a massive edgelord.
>>
>>50542143
That's great, but so, so very unrelated to chargen.

What can they do, and what are their skills?
>>
>>50542177
Nevermind, the more I think about it, the more it becomes ridiculous.
>>
>>50542193
Might as well push through to the end, tho.
>>
>>50542222
I'm gonna have to switch to CSM, Between Butcher's Royal Marine training, and the Compound V making him extremely hard to kill (it took falling halfway down the Empire State building, and getting stabbed repeatedly in the chest by another V user), it'll have to be CSM.

Apart from that, he's good with explosives, and a decent leader. Manipulative as shit, too.

So, either CSM, Black Legion most likely, World Eaters are a bit too uncontrollable to fit, or downscaled to a Renegade sworn to Khorne maybe.
>>
File: Sniper_Ratling.jpg (233KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sniper_Ratling.jpg
233KB, 1000x1000px
Let's re-use this question for the bump:

Best shit you've had a Ratling get up to?
>>
>>50543606
Squatting.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (272KB, 2400x1854px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
272KB, 2400x1854px
What is the size of the cerapede from the radical's handbook? Any stories with these things? My guess would be pic related.
>>
Quick question, never played the game, don't have the book but need it answered for reference and comparison.

Can you actually dodge bullets and energy bolts in the game? As in, not scramble for cover, but actually dodge? Is there any sort of penalty to Dodge skill or whatever, for dodging ranged weapons?

Rewriting Eclipse Phase to better suit me, and the fact that the character can dance in place like the fucking Neo under a hail of bullets drives me nuts. It's retarded. So comparing to other d100-based system with firearms and such.
>>
File: Orkington.jpg (277KB, 800x805px) Image search: [Google]
Orkington.jpg
277KB, 800x805px
>>50536901

>Make an Ork character in Dark Heresy 2e
>DM laughs
>Make Ork a sneaky git, put every exp I can into Deceive
>Grab a Disguise Kit to get more Deceive
>DM says I can't speak Low Gothic
>Max out Fellowship
>By grunting and chopping, I can fake speaking a language I don't speak (Low Gothic)

>Use Influence to hire a butler NPC
>Give him xenotech to let him speak Ork

"WAAAAAAGH"
"An excellent suggestion, Mister Orkington. We really should ask the group to investigate the Lower Hive."

>Over the course of the game, be made Saint Orkington
>Planetary Governor holds a dinner in my honour.
>A guest becomes the first man to ever make an Scrutiny check that can beat my Deceive
>Shouts out loud
"HEY, THAT GUY'S NOT A GUY, HE'S JUST AN ORK!"
>Man is escorted out of the mansion while the guards apologise profusely for the indignity
"We're so sorry, Saint Orkington, very sorry for this man's behaviour"
"WAGH" *shrug*
>>
>>50544613
Yes, you can.
No, it's not Neo-style dodging for the most of characters; it's only a single attempt per round, two at most (unless these are real Neo-tier chars like Officio assassins).
No, there are no penalties just for shooting.
>>
>>50544613
I didn't mean penalties for shooting, I meant penalties to dodge stat for trying to dodge ranged attacks. Still none?

In the new Delta Green, you flat out can't dodge bullets, only scramble for cover if you're within 3 meters of it. In Eclipse Phase, you use half your Fray (the dodging skill) which is retardedly easy to stick modifiers on and get it back to 70-80s.
>>
>>50545004
No. There are none.
>>
>>50544873
>>50545023
Thanks, you were most useful.
>>
>>50544766
Literally Sir Bearington. Try harder.

>>50514559
Had a player that wasn't really familiar with the setting use a Shadowsword as bait for hereteks and he lost the fucking tank. The plan wouldn't have been much better (blow it up once the bad guys get inside) but it's better than just giving some hereteks a fucking Titan slayer.

It came back to bite him in the ass, I made sure of that. His reputation took a serious nosedive, he got the shit kicked out of him, and had to burn a Fate point to avoid dying in an unfortunate Commissar incident.
>>
>>50544766

It's been done before as Deffwotch, which was far better than your pitiful attempt at copy pasting.
>>
>>50545171
That was the point.

>>50545336
Yeah, I know about Deffwotch too. Remind me never to try anything funny on this board.
>>
>>50545421
Problem is the direct copy paste with just changed named isn't funny
>>
>>50545421
Never try anything funny on this board,
Because your not funny and you will fuck it up
>>
>>50545421
>Remind me never to try anything funny on this board.
Don't take it too hard, friendo. Everyone has to start somewhere, and from here, you can only get funnier!
>>
So, I am thinking of making some guardsmen clear out a pinch of tainted, mostly reclaimed hulk. Should I add Daemons or just straight 'nids? I know they're the standard space hulk enemy, but something that has been drifting in and out of the warp should still have some demonic taint right?
>>
>>50546460
Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. Is up to you anon.

Plus a hulk can have almost anything on it.
>>
>>50546884

Fair enough. Guard Vs. Daemons/Pure Strains is going to open my next campaign then!
>>
>>50536796
>The two human players call you a powergamer
>>
What are the tankiest human archtypes for BC?
>>
>>50540466
Grenades, liberal use of web/snare weapons.
It is far easier to disable a foe than you think.
>>
Are there enough melee based talents in Only War that didn't get pulled into DH2e to make trawling OW worthwhile?
Just looking for some odds and ends to round out my focus, and while I know there are a lot of shooty talents that didn't make it, choppy ones are... yea.
>>
>>50540466
Check out the armoury in DH1E, specifically the IH. There's the Forge-World equivalent of a taser in there. I remember a LONG ass time ago, there was anon who couldn't stop singing its praises. Stat-line should transfer over nicely, GM fiat on Thrones>Acquisition conversion, as always with DH1E gear.
>>
>>50547871
I'll see if there's any worthwhile snare weapons, thanks. There's already a few grenades we've been looking at.
>>50548397
Is it the shock gloves? My buddy's been using those, and combined them with synthmuscle and the Unarmed Specialist talent to do an obscene amount of damage.
>>
>>50549405
Nah, its a proper ranged weapon. Lemme see if I can find and cap it.
>>
File: screenshot.1.jpg (65KB, 282x192px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.1.jpg
65KB, 282x192px
>>50549578
Description
>>
File: screenshot.2.jpg (9KB, 534x17px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.2.jpg
9KB, 534x17px
>>50549677
Stat block

page 133, IH is where it starts.
>>
Played a StarWars rpg, first real rp. Rolled up some guy to be sorta batman, loads of points into charisma and intelligence, for intimidation and galaxy's greatest detective. Decent in combat too- had some good rolls for stats.
Group had already rolled up:
Murder druid
Murder Not!Fett
Hacker Calamari with a gun.
In contrast my dude had stungrenades and ion pistol, ion nades.
The group opened fire at every opportunity, ruining any batmannery or 007ing. I got to slam an old dude against a locker and yell 'wheres the X' precisely once.
The rest of the time I flung expensive grenades into corners where they detonated harmlessly.
I ended up looting an E-11 and gunning down troopers.
>>
>>50549696
I'll be nice this time.

Wrong thread mate.
>>
>>50514559

There was two new-to-the-setting psykers who thought psykers are like DnD mages. One learned quickly. Second one ignored everything but raw psyker powers. He caused a lot of phenomenas including rain of blood, demons popping out of warp, etc, mostly in front of fanatical party priest, and was surprised he was mad about it. "It's nothing special, everybody should know phenomenas happens, why they want to kill me, it's common!" he said before warp finally sucked his character into oblivion.
>>
>>50550165
Ah, catharsis. Such a wonderful feeling, no?
>>
How do I make the most OP character in Black Crusade?
>>
>>50514559
>How do I make the most OP character in Black Crusade?
Chem dude or the worm sorcerer
>>
>>50551009
Thousand Sun Sorcerer, multiple Rubric Marine minions.
>>
How much damage does an ork rok do to a planet? I'm thinking of having one land on an Imperial offensive to completely blunt it and forcing the players to take cover in a cavern system (full of orks) and then have them flee the oncoming ork counterattack.
>>
>>50551117

It will do 1d10+1 per meter it fell by, but the planet will get to dodge.
>>
>>50551254
>>50545715
>>
>>50551117
Depends on alot of factors. For example.

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 300.00 km ( = 186.00 miles )
Projectile diameter: 2.00 km ( = 1.24 miles )
Projectile Density: 1500 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 25.00 km per second ( = 15.50 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.96 x 1021 Joules = 4.69 x 105 MegaTons TNT

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:
Transient Crater Diameter: 17 km ( = 10.6 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 6.03 km ( = 3.74 miles )
Final Crater Diameter: 24.8 km ( = 15.4 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 778 meters ( = 2550 feet )
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 12.2 km3 = 2.93 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater, where its average thickness is 53.5 meters ( = 176 feet ).

Thermal Radiation:
Time for maximum radiation: 1 seconds after impact
Visible fireball radius: 17.9 km ( = 11.1 miles )
The fireball appears 13.5 times larger than the sun
Thermal Exposure: 6.63 x 106 Joules/m2
Duration of Irradiation: 5.4 minutes
Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 20.5 (Flux from a burner on full at a distance of 10 cm)
>>
>>50552043
Effects of Thermal Radiation:
Much of the body suffers third degree burns
Newspaper ignites
Plywood flames
Deciduous trees ignite
Grass ignites

Seismic Effects:
The major seismic shaking will arrive approximately 60 seconds after impact.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 8.4
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 300 km:

VI. Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

VII. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

Ejecta:
The ejecta will arrive approximately 4.24 minutes after the impact.
At your position there is a fine dusting of ejecta with occasional larger fragments
Average Ejecta Thickness: 2.79 cm ( = 1.1 inches )
Mean Fragment Diameter: 8.74 mm ( = 3.45 tenths of an inch )

Air Blast:
The air blast will arrive approximately 15.2 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 42900 Pa = 0.429 bars = 6.09 psi
Max wind velocity: 86.4 m/s = 193 mph
Sound Intensity: 93 dB (May cause ear pain)
Damage Description:
Multistory wall-bearing buildings will collapse.
Wood frame buildings will almost completely collapse.
Glass windows will shatter.
Up to 90 percent of trees blown down; remainder stripped of branches and leaves.
>>
>>50552061
Well fuck. How do roks hit planets without completely wiping them out? Plot contrivance?
>>
So my Rogue Trader group has done a lot of favors for a Space Marine chapter, but hasn't really gotten any Profit Factor out of it.
So I was thinking with one more favor, they'd get gifted a tactical squad as thanks.

Easy enough to stat them on the field, just a formation (I tend to use Only War rules for hordes) of Space Marines. But I was wondering if this would be a good way to represent them abstractly in ship combat.

Boarding Actions
-For every space marine deployed, the enemy ship suffers 1 extra population and morale damage or if the other option is chosen, one extra point of hull integrity in damage.

Hit and Run
-If 5 or more space marines are used in a Hit and Run attack, it does 2d4 crit damage, and an extra hull integrity in damage per DoS for every five marines.

For both boarding actions and hit and run actions, the players get +5 to their command test for every 5 marines deployed

Anytime marines are deployed, either through boarding actions or hit and run actions, the GM rolls a dice. On a 91-100, a marine dies.

Obvious they can't just go requisition new marines from the chapter, and obviously the chapter might ask for more to replace them if they felt the players spent them carelessly.
>>
>>50553019
40k runs on plot contrivance. Never bring real world physics into 40k.
>>
>>50519520
There is only one warrant per Dynasty. There is only one Trader per Dynasty.

See: Aspyce Chorda hunting down and refrigerating her entire extended family so they wouldn't fuck up her own ambitions.
>>
>>50553090
It doesn't even have to be that complex. Use the Storm Trooper Detachment upgrade from Into the Storm and build on it.

I've got a Missionary who's a Battle Sister undertaking an oblation. She's managed to gather other Sisters to her banner. On a ship, they're a Best-Craftsmanship Stormtrooper Detachment that lights shit on fire more often.
>>
>>50553090
>gifted a tactical squad as thanks.
No, just no. Like the aid of the chapter. Sure, intervention like help pushing a hostile xenos off a world you want to colonize. Or to get the Imperial Navy off your back. Sure.

But in terms of a tactical squad at your beck an call? Fuck no.
>>
>>50554255
You make it sound unprecedented. The navigator house of Belisarius has an entire unit (stated to typically number 24) of space wolves as their beck and call.
>>
>>50554513

Players should be nowhere near as able as named movers and shakers of the setting.
>>
>>50554587
I guess that's fair enough. Though I would still argue that having a single, irreplaceable tactical squad hardly places a rogue trader on the level of House Belisarius, who gets a constantly reinforced bodyguard of from a 1st Founding chapter.
>>
>>50554668
>of 25 marines
fixed
>>
>>50554513
Just generally the in RT you're flying around and fucking about, it just seems like 10 marines could be doing alot better with their time.
>>
File: Eye_of_Terror_Campaign_Map.jpg (975KB, 950x851px) Image search: [Google]
Eye_of_Terror_Campaign_Map.jpg
975KB, 950x851px
So, how well do 40kRPG systems and areas like the Eye mesh?
>>
File: 1408458699316.jpg (50KB, 796x480px) Image search: [Google]
1408458699316.jpg
50KB, 796x480px
How would you build a fast melee character?

Hive worlder, desperado, assassin, picking offence and defence for the double aptitudes and WS over BS and making do without strength, or warrior with whatever background and homeworld that has whatever aptitudes warriors have and trading those for agility and finesse?

I'd kinda like him to be a hive worlder from Space Miami whose economy and hives are build on riches from illicit Rogue Trader business, alternately, I'm thinking frontier world could work for that too, except instead of a hive city, it's just a regular big city surrounded by swampy wasteland populated entirely by mutated space alligators and Florida man. Maybe I'll make the frontier worlder a mutant, fits the aptitude trading scheme and the alternate world idea.
>>
>>50558899
Do whatever you need to in order to have:
Agility
Finesse
Fieldcraft
Weapon Skill
Offense/Defense to taste.
Done.
>>
Does the One on One talent apply to other talents like Disarm?
Does it apply during Parry actions for denying multiple attacks?
>>
>>50557004
The Black Crusade setting of the screaming vortex is pretty much a mini eye-of-terror, so its rules should mesh well with it.
>>
I know this sounds tryhard but it would fit with my group. Is there any way to get a voice filter that makes me sound kind of distorted like spess mahreens in the video games/in that one mediocre ultramarine movie?
>>
File: IGArtCodex.jpg (52KB, 525x360px) Image search: [Google]
IGArtCodex.jpg
52KB, 525x360px
DESPERATION BUMP
>>
>>50559849
A simple voice distorter is modern tech. You could probably get one built into your helmet pretty easy on any advanced world.
>>
>>50562934
...No like, on a voice chat program like discord or skype.
>>
>>50563092

You're not funny. Stop trying to be funny.
>>
I'm looking through the armory at the top of the page, and I was looking for which book contained 'Traitor's Penance'. The armory lists the splat as 'SAS', and while I can identify the other splats 'HOE' (Hammer of the Emperor) and SOH (Shield of Humanity), I can't find any splats that fit SAS acronym.
>>
>>50563789
Oh sorry, should clarify. It's under Only War somewhere. Unless it's listed wrong.
>>
>>50563789
>>50563872
The armoury has a full list of abbreviations on it's first sheet, SAS is Salvaging Solace.
>>
Why exactly does the Emperor sit on the golden throne?
>>
>>50564009
Oh, I see. I couldn't find that in the megashare folder or on 1d4chan, or the books on Fantasy Flights section, but I now see it under digital downloads.

Cheers, thanks for the help.
>>
>>50564046
Read Lexicanum. Just read it.
>>
File: 1474337521857.jpg (556KB, 971x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1474337521857.jpg
556KB, 971x1600px
>>50516912
On paper? The Inquisition says jump, you jump.
Until recently, even Space Marines had to jump, and they still take any requests for aid by Inquisitors *very* seriously.
In practice, it depends a lot on the Inquisitor and organization in question.
Krieg are extremely obedient by culture, and would likely dispatch whatever troops are needed without question. If the troops are needed for some vital assault to the war effort, he might raise this point with the Inquisitor, but ultimately unless he has good reason to suspect the Inquisitor is a heretic he's likely to just send the troops off, no questions asked, not expecting to see them again. Kriegers spend lives the way other commanders spend ammunition, dismissing some troops for a special suicide mission under Inquisitorial control seems like something they'd love doing.

Also, my understanding is that Krieg in very high command positions are pretty rare. You're more likely to talk to a General from a more... human regiment, who's in charge of a larger war effort, and ask him to pass orders down to a Krieger Colonel to dispatch some men to you. Krieg are really crappy at interpersonal relations, and other troops tend to resent being placed under Krieger command.

As far as roleplaying the Krieg, I'd just emphasize that they do a lot of blank stares, waiting to receive orders. They don't make small talk. You've likely met servitors that are livelier conversationalists than them. They greet an order to attack a Chaos Dreadnought the same way they react to an order to clean out the bunk room. The most you might get out of them is a statement of loyalty and eagerness to serve the Inquisition.

Occasionally, you may hear them speaking among themselves in downtime, but their conversations are usually very terse and functional. On very, very rare occasions they might tell some morbid joke, but they don't really laugh and it's never entirely clear if a Krieg is trying to be funny or not.
>>
File: 1474494653392.jpg (258KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1474494653392.jpg
258KB, 786x1017px
>>50529976
awww, that's cute! I like that motive for a BBEG. Cute to hear one of the devs came up with that too.
In our campaign, the Tyrant Star basically turned out to be a Dark Age of Technology space station grafted with Necron tech. The villain was a Necron Lord who had awoken to discover all of his subjects were brain-dead/unable to wake, and was desperately trying to figure out a way to bring his people back to life. For a filthy xeno, I felt kinda bad for the guy.
>>50538759
RT. Deathwatch is a little limited in scope, but still fun. RT has a neat concept (Murderhobo Conquistador Star Trek!), and can accommodate a very wide range of characters. It also gives you a lot of freedom as a GM to come up with weird and interesting threats for them to encounter, and they can have a reason to go literally anywhere.
>>
>>50565097
>they can have a reason to go literally anywhere.
The issue can be keeping them in Rogue Trader Adventuring Zones (tm) and not immediately haring off to Holy Sol to bug the Martians for gear and take tourist snapshots of the Imperial Palace.
>>
>>50565194

Just cut your containment sector off with a warp storm, and rocks fall if they try to leave.
>>
>>50565194
>Holy Sol to bug the Martians for gear
I'm pretty sure Mars won't bother with you unless you're in good with the Mechanicus or a really big name.
>>
>>50549677
>>50549692
So with a wrapon like this, is it possible to create a character who specialises in collecting foes for torture and information extraction? My game is going to need lots of info and if the other players don't care enough not to waste everyone then it might as well be me.
>>
>>50566094
Yeah. There's a Heavy webber in the Hive World armoury section of the IH too, if you wanna go all out in that direction.

The trick is, both of them are exotics, so there's a XP cost too.
>>
File: Doing MATH.gif (3MB, 556x242px) Image search: [Google]
Doing MATH.gif
3MB, 556x242px
>>50566145

Speaking of webbers, I was giving some thought on how to update them to their new 7th edition incarnations. Damage is easy enough - a Web pistol would inflict about 1d10+3, while a Webber would hit for 1d10+9 or so. The problem is the penetration.

Normally a Webber's Pen is equal to the Strength of the enemy it hits. Since most models are S3, this translates to AP3. The higher strength, the lower armor penetration (S4 would be Pen 4, so a marine still gets a save). There's an inverse relationship. The problem is in the RPG everything is linear. If you performed a direct translation, making the pen equal to SB, it would be ridiculous against high strength opponents and useless against low strength. the exact opposite. The Pen of the webber weapons would then have to be a number minus the unmodified strength bonus, like 10-X.

This would mean Pen 7 against a normal human (S30), Pen 5 against a spess mareen (S50x2), and so on. Is there a better way to model this?
>>
>>50565194
Honestly, a game set in Sol could be pretty fun.
But the Warp is literally the GM's plot route, so you can always get "blown off course" and wind up wherever something interesting is happening.
>>
>>50567573
>Is there a better way to model this?
Step back a moment and remember that for the RPG webbers, their Pen is not especially relevant and may in fact be counter productive. Snare takes effect on hit and not on damage, so higher Pen doesn't matter. Snare also functions to model "Best against low strength enemies"
Further, that rule is elegant and simple on the tabletop, since it elegantly models units being rendered helpless by the webber and their armor not helping that as much as their strength. Again, Snare takes that role in the RPG.
tl;dr: You're missing the forest for the trees.
>>
>>50567804
A game set in Sol is going to be balls to the wall conspiracies and plots and court intrigues and politics in the shadow of the most powerful people, places, and groups of the Imperium, under the longer shadow of history, with literally countless poor migrants and pilgrims in the shadows and undercities, and a threat response level unlike anything else in the Imperium. It'd be amazing with the right group, but it'd be very unlike your average RT or DH game.
>>
>>50567891
>>50567573

Wait, they made the webber a LETHAL weapon? The weapon that for nearly 30 years was ALWAYS incapable of actual damage?
>>
So if I wanted to start a rogue trader game built around the Adeptus Mechanicus, using some resources across the various streams (OW, DH, etc), who would serve best as the 'Rogue Trader' himself? Just an Explorator?

I'm kinda new to Rogue Trader, see. Is a RT mandatory?
>>
>>50567891

I'm just saying that in the RPG, the Webber is a purely nonlethal weapon. I want to transfer its lethal capabilities over, via the new Cocooned rule.

>>50568009

Yes. The Webber normally just catches you in sticky jizz to immobilize you. The new webber constricts and crushes a target to death with said jizz.
>>
>>50568058
>Is a RT mandatory?
Ehhhhhh....sorta. If you're running the game 'as intended', involving an actual Rogue Trader dynasty and vessel, then by definition a Rogue Trader needs to be involved somewhere, though they can easily be an NPC, or even "A frail old shell of a man attached to his command throne by pulsating tubes that keep him alive, and everyone plays his vizier and agents". You can also play junior officer troubleshooters for a slightly more down to earth game. An Admech game using RT themes is basically an Explorator Fleet game, and the "Rogue Trader" would be the Magos Explorator running the fleet.
>>
>>50568116
How about a fixed pen-SB of the target?
>>
>>50568116
>I want to transfer its lethal capabilities over, via the new Cocooned rule.
Then add in a rule that says "Every time a subject makes a test to escape the Snare quality and fails, the cocoon tightens, dealing [damage] that bypasses Armor and Toughness", or something like that.
>>
>>50568147

That would be the inverse problem - against something with Str 30, it would be Pen 3, S50, Pen 5, S70, pen 7. In Tabletop, it would be S3 > AP3 (equivalent to Pen 8 on tabletop), S4 > AP4 (eq. to Pen 6), S8 > AP- (eq. to Pen 0).

I can only think of the subtraction method, but I don't recall if there's already precedent for that in the system.
>>
>>50568138
Are there any 'Ascension' style or specialization paths for a Magos-Explorator in any of the books?
>>
>>50568386

The explorator in RT? Closest thing that comes to mind is the archmagos elite advance in The Fringe is Yours.
>>
>>50568192
>against something with Str 30, it would be Pen 3, S50, Pen 5, S70, pen 7.

Somehow I get the sense you missed they were suggesting Pen = X minus Strength.
>>
>>50568714

Ah, yes. X minus Str Bonus was my second thought. If that is the best that can be done, I'll work with it.
>>
Know where I should look for rules on Battle Automata?
>>
>>50570236
Or Imperial Knights, as well.

Also, is 'The Fringe is Yours' purely homebrew to cover those fields?
>>
>>50570253

TFiY covers Knights and Battle Automata for RT and Mars Needs Women does the same for OW, yes. If you want a second opinion on Knights, you can also try to find Chivalry Intensifies. It's a matter of personal taste as to which Knight set to use.
>>
>>50570236
>>50570253
>>50570315
You can find them all in the Homebrew megafolder.
>>
>>50558899
Feudal or Feral world.
Adepta Sororitas.
Assassin.
>>
How well do the guard and the navy get along? It seems like there is no real air force as it is all controlled by the navy.

And do OW GMs use a lot of crashing Valkyrie's? I'm writing a mini campaign and I find I'm relying on that contrivance a lot.
>>
>>50572678
Their relationship is one of necessity, as the Imperial Navy isn't outfitted for ground assault and the Imperial Guard isn't equipped to transport its own men.

General consensus among the Navy is that the Guard are a rabble bumming for a ride, while the Guard see the Navy as a bunch of ponces who sit around and eat all the pie while the real work is being done.

The separation of power was imposed after the Heresy for comparable reasons as the creation of the Codex Astartes. The Guard and Navy respect each other as Institutions, but the men and women from both organizations tolerate each other personally to varying degrees.
>>
>>50572678
>Squad survives 4th Valkyrie crash in as many sessions
>Still in good enough shape to fight

Promote these men.
>>
Anyone starting/running weekend games via discord?
>>
File: 1473936680326.jpg (104KB, 736x834px) Image search: [Google]
1473936680326.jpg
104KB, 736x834px
>>50572678
Crashing transports is the ultimate pseudo-modern military cliche, about on par with "You all meet at a tavern" for DnD type fantasy.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just know what it is that you're doing.
Ideally, have the transport drop them off safely nine times out of ten, so that when it does crash it really feels like they're up a creek.
>>
>>50518374
>I always get so worried about those. Is it a trap or actually something beneficial?
If your GM is worth his salt he will plan for both possibilities. Then again I GM like a spider in the middle of a web, watching and waiting as the PCs step on certain lines of silk. And also there's other spiders there, because the galaxy is a busy place indeed, and I forget where this metaphor is going.
>>
File: 1388245346048.png (48KB, 235x251px) Image search: [Google]
1388245346048.png
48KB, 235x251px
Can I get a quick rate on these character ideas?

Highborn Mutant Assassin/Desperado doubling down on being highborn and therefore better than the common scum to hide being a mutant.

Smart ass Hive World scum who goes fast, wrecks shit and thinks this shit is fun.

Upbeat Garden World Imperial Guard Desperado pistolero and diplomancer who doesn't get why everyone's so damned gloomy all the time.

Scowlface MacHardass Daemon World Arbitrator. Daemons or no, the law is the law.

Mad Earp, in the wastelands beyond Tombstone, he's the law. Drives fast and draws faster.

Bored Highborn Administratum guy. He is an expert in "aquiring" things, even if those things might sometimes be of less than stellar make. He's the guy starting the game with a low quality power armour and powerfist, he's also probably not very combat optimized.
>>
>>50577973
First three sound semi-decent.

Scowlface will vary with groups. I'd suggest daemon worlds aren't often well integrated into the Imperium.

Cowboys are good, though I'd focus on survival and living mounts.

Noble Administratum are equally acceptable, though once you start adding power armour and powerfist(s) it starts sounding less like a character and more like a bland stab at optimising.
>>
Anyone ever update psybernetics for stuff later than DH1st Ed?
>>
So, I've been suggesting porting over weapons and gear from DH1E to 2E, but I'll be honest, its not come up that much for me in reality. What's your experiences with it?
>>
So I'm wondering how armor stacking works, because I'm looking at an NPC stat list and either it's poorly described, or I had it wrong.

So the two I was looking at were the Classiarii Trooper and the Lathe-Pattern Murder Servitor.

The Murder Servitor is listed as Total Armor (all 9) from it's Armor Plating (all 6) and Machine trait (3). So those stack, alright.

The Classiarii Trooper has implanted armor Head 4, Body 6, Legs/Arms 5 (equiv to normal carapace). They have machine (3) as well. Total armor reflects this as well. However, they also have subskin grafts, cranial armor and bionic hearts (all of which stack 1-2 armor with that location, and this is not reflected).

What's with that? Do they not stack if you have machine? Is that just not reflected in the 'total armor' section? It explicitly says those cybernetic components stack with worn armor, so I'm confused.
>>
File: 1474441509732.jpg (141KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
1474441509732.jpg
141KB, 1024x575px
>>50577973
Not bad, though I have to say Daemon World origins always make me raise an eyebrow. I suppose it's just my take on the setting, but I figure someone recruited from a Daemon World has essentially escaped the apocalypse, and should be both a rare and very weird, damaged character.

The Smart Ass probably has the biggest potential to be an annoying "lolrandumb WILD CARD", but I think can still work.
Highborn Mutant has a lot of interesting potential, but putting that sort of secret into a character has the potential for pvp if you have any monodominants in the party.
>>
>>50582382

FFG fucked up a stay block? Say it ain't so.
>>
>>50582493
So it does stack? Alright, cool. Just making sure.
>>
>>50582382
I'd guess they meant the Implanted Armour included the Subskin Graft, Cranial Armour and Bionic Heart. But FFG doesn't have the best reputation with proofreading or clarity.
>>
>>50577973
I like the idea of Scowlface, but with a few changes:

>Imperial planet is prosperous
>Scowlface has been an Arbiter all his life
>Best on the Prime Hive's force, but he gets a bit carried away sometimes
>Chaos Cultists successfully turn the planet into a Daemon World
>Scowlface snaps. His mind can't comprehend Daemons. He justs sees them as extra-violent hoodlums
>Travels the Prime Hive, continuing to dispense justice
>He's the only survivor
>Continues to check in at the precinct on a regular basis
>Talks into the vox sometimes. But it's just static. Scowlface blames cutbacks

>Ten years later, an Inquisitor lands on the planet in search of artifacts
>Finds fuck all except a load of Nurglings
>Inquisitor goes to head off but finds Scowlface giving his Aquila Lander a ticket
>Inquisitor is so impressed that Scowlface has survived he offers him a job on the spot
>Scowlface accepts but still goes to his precinct to hand in a transfer sheet
>>
>>50583389
YES.
>>
File: turns white.png (284KB, 589x589px) Image search: [Google]
turns white.png
284KB, 589x589px
I'm having some trouble with some of the older PDFs like DH1E and such. Whenever I view the PDFs on my mobile devices, the black boxed text segments turns light gray and the white text inside remains white. I try opening it on PC and it turns out just fine. Is there anyway to fix this? I kind of like to review the splatbooks when I have idle time while waiting in line or some shit.
>>
How good are two weapon wielder pistol builds?

I really like the idea of being some guy with all sorts of pistols for every situation, sticking to his laspistol against trash mobs and hoarding his plasma pistol ammo like its a PS1 resident evil game. But the though of losing that sweet +10 BS close range bonus which is active almost 100% of the time for most basic weapons is kind of painful.

Am I headed down the path of a a cool but dysfunctional build or is there hope yet?
>>
>>50586466
Its a known issue. Give me the paths, I'll put up the advisory.

For some reason, some of the pdfs do shit like this in any pdf reader other than Acrobat. We don't know why, we aren't sure when it happened, all I can do is put another advisory .txt file in the folder to warn people.
>>
Any good dark heresy one shot adventures out there?
>>
File: sister gif.gif (458KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
sister gif.gif
458KB, 200x200px
>>50586586
For 1e Dark Heresy, dual pistols is a crazy good combo, particularly if you go Metallican Gunslinger and get all your rad talents at low level.
While you won't have that neat bonus for close range as often as rifle wielders do, you'll also be able to use your guns in close combat, normally get two attacks with them per turn, and can rock out some crazy numbers of hits when you full auto both.
Pistols also have the rp advantage of being concealable and frequently socially acceptable in the Imperium in a way that long arms aren't, and once you have Independent targeting you can start hitting multiple bad dudes in different directions.
>>
How do you make the geller field flickers trope into an actually interesting session?

I was thinking of a weird David Lynch type situation where people disappear, the party encounters itself, the rest of the platoon gets possessed and has to be purged, only to find out that the squad has been killing anyone they find. Only problem is that other than "it was all shared warp dream" how do I prevent the party from being blammed?
>>
>>50587544
Have you seen Coherence?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/

(Un)fortunately, the summary doesn't give the movie away, but the tags do.
>>
File: holsters.jpg (61KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
holsters.jpg
61KB, 640x470px
>>50586586
Generally a Rogue Trader will end up holding a fuckton of pistols for various situations, but usually just because that's how their skills shake out. Mine had Ripper, Plasma, Archeotech Las, and Shuriken pistols for various situations hat may come up.

And yes, it was extremely effective.
>>
>>50587600
I have yes. I think it would be very interesting, but incredibly difficult to pull off.
>>
>>50587729
>>50587478
And now for the age old question when it comes to choices for the "Basic" pistol. Should I go for solid shells or las?

Solid seems to be a great choice for bringing down fields via sheer volume of fire and fishing for an overload while las pistols variable setting is quite nice for going overload mode and dealing slightly higher than usual damage.
>>
>>50587750
True, though you don't have to take it verbatim or split the group, and the way it's established to operate, you can have them find other groups in the process of attempting to uniquely identify themselves.
>>
>>50587478
Speaking of pistols, anyone try out the Emperor's will from OW? Its got 1d10+5 damage 2 pen and only 5 shots but its got the accurate quality and 60 m range which makes it really tempting for high single shot damage while still maintaining easy access through ammo since it still uses standard laspistol packs. Comboed with the long barrel upgrade and maybe extended mags and it can be used as a "sniping" pistol of sorts.
>>
>>50587839
My concern would be them full on killing the other groups, because they are in the Guard after all, and they've had shoot first type of training.
>>
>>50587892
You'd need versatile shooter to actually take advantage of the Accurate quality or turn it into a carbine.
>>
>>50587835
Completely depends on the environment you'll be in and the availability of ammo.
>>
>>50587941
>Tier 3 talent tax for an already lopsided pistol
Wow thats harsh, its only redeeming quality was its accurate bonus damage and I have to shell out a fuckton of experience to make it work.
>>
>>50545171
Literally Chicken Boo.
>>
>>50587895
Dead guardsmen still tell tales - they could recognise differences in scars, serial numbers, etc. Even if they shoot everyone forever until the scenario ends (ignoring ammo supply), no single instance of the group and locale is more important than the dawning realisation of their situation.
>>
>>50514559
so been talked into playing Dark Heresy,
1e because the DM said so.

Was thinking of playing a Arbitrator, because space cop

Any suggestions of fluff,books,films,lore or laws even.
that I could look into, to help get into character/ fit the world.

and/or advise on any noob traps
>>
>>50588370
My GM recently ran me a solo raid as a senior Arbitrator leading a group of cadets on their first raid. I was the only PC.

For that he chose to watch Judge Dredd 3D and The Raid: Redemption.

Truth be told, there isn't an absolute ton of actual solid laws in the 40k universe, because there are tens of thousands of years of Imperial laws, filling entire complexes with paper and hard drives.

"I can also correct you on a point of formal law. We are the Adeptus Arbites. The vessel by which the Emperor's laws have travelled down the ages. We light and keep the beacon of the Emperor’s Law so that all His Imperium can guide their lives by it, and we see to it that those who turn away from that beacon and cause themselves and others to stumble are made to pay. We determine the guilty, we decide the punishment. I have witnessed judgments of officers of the Navy and of the Imperial Guard and of planetary and system governors. I have twice helped to pass sentence on men and women of both those organizations, some of them more highly ranked than you, gate-captain."
— Attributed to Arbitor Senioris Calpurnia

Live and breathe that quote. You're the bastion of civilization here. Watch some of the new Judge Dredd, it's a pretty good example.
>>
>>50588370
Oh, and the splatbook Book of Judgement is specialized for the Arbitrators. Take a lockshield and a recoil glove. If you can carry it, quick draw and the mag harness (for free action draw and stow equipment/weapons). Howler Grenades are my absolute go-to crowd control grenades. (10m radius toughness check for 1d5 rounds. You resave every round and if you fail, you're stunned for the remaining time, phenomenal.)
>>
Looking for someone who can create Roll20 tokens for Deathwatch. /tg/ preferred artists I should look up, or artists browsing here willing to help?
>>
File: Hell no (2).gif (899KB, 158x129px) Image search: [Google]
Hell no (2).gif
899KB, 158x129px
>>50588859
>>Truth be told, there isn't an absolute ton of actual solid laws in the 40k universe, because there are tens of thousands of years of Imperial laws, filling entire complexes with paper and hard drives.
>The Imperium runs on a common law system
>Except with literally ten thousand years of precedent across the entire galaxy and millions and millions of cases
>There are thousands of people who spend their entire centuries-long lives just researching laws and precedents relating to one specific charge
>And then each planet has its own legal code on top of that
>MFW imagining the legal clusterfucks that must occur on a literally daily basis in the Imperium.
>>
>>50589070
>The Lex Imperialis, the code of Imperial law, is written down in the Book of Judgement kept by the Adeptus Arbites. The Book of Judgement has been painstakingly collected, annotated and collated over millennia and embodies every decree ever passed by the Emperor Himself or the High Lords of Terra. In fact, the Book of Judgement has long-since grown beyond the confines of a single tome, no matter how large, and comprises countless records, books, and legal decrees. The most ancient articles are written on crumbling parchments, enscribed in unknown human tongues by the nameless functionaries of a forgotten age. However, every day new volumes of parchment, data-records, and encoded holoscript are added to the Book of Judgement, and interred within the reinforced confines of the Hall of Judgement on Terra. Shelves of tomes rise hundreds of metres towards the vaulted ceilings above canyons of marble and iron. Over the ages, the Hall has been expanded and extended many times, so that it is now an entire complex covering many acres, with miles of corridors, levels, and rooms. Scholars, scribes, and law lords pace the time-worn marble floors, while above their heads, on the narrow gantries and ladders that cover the shelf stacks like a spider's web, crawl legal assistants and low-ranking functionaries, searching through the detritus of judgement for weeks and months at a time to find just a single reference.

Basically, it usually comes down to whatever the local Inquisitor/military leader/planetary governor wants, because actually going through precedent is impossible.

It's barely law at that point.
>>
File: twooo sisterres.jpg (123KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
twooo sisterres.jpg
123KB, 900x506px
>>50587835
I'd go solid for the variety of ammo, personally. Unless your GM is a bean counter (which is perfectly valid) the only thing Las really has going for it is mag size, variable settings and hot shots, whereas with solid rounds you can get acid shells, snare rounds, things that set people on fire, penetrators etc.

>>50589070
It's why summary execution is a common and accepted punishment.
Also, IMPERIAL LAW is distinct from planetary law. A common thief is likely to get a forced labor sentence or a maiming, rather than having to wait out his life for the exact charges to be brought.
The weird clustferfuck that is Imperial Law tends to only come into play when dealing with high level issues that haven't attracted someone truly nasty like an Inquisitor to cut through the red tape. Truth be told, I'd expect a lot of merchant houses bank on the fact that if they get caught doing something shady, it'll be three hundred years before anyone's actually charged for it, and another fifty before the sentence is passed.
>>
>>50588370
Remember, Arbites are more like the FBI. They don't give a shit about petty crimes like murder. They care about large wide range shit like rebellion, heresy, and that kind of thing.
>>
>>50589192
>>above their heads, on the narrow gantries and ladders that cover the shelf stacks like a spider's web, crawl legal assistants and low-ranking functionaries, searching through the detritus of judgement for weeks and months at a time to find just a single reference.
Motherfuckers have never heard of indexes and filing systems, have they? What the fuck do they do, just go "Aaah, fuck it, chuck it into the first pile that'll fit?"
>>
File: cMdZ2PjEU_bkd8D82TOQXA[1].jpg (40KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
cMdZ2PjEU_bkd8D82TOQXA[1].jpg
40KB, 290x290px
>>50588859
>>50588884
ta for the response

when I see Judge Dredd
all I can hear is
>"Conspiracy to loiter"
>"NOT ON MY WATCH!"
>"50 years in the pain glove"
but I get what your getting at
>>
>>50589235
Like...some of the later systems were probably organized, both the filing systems probably changed.

And these legal decrees go back probably some 20,000 years, where languages die off and change. Not to mention, all it takes for own low-ranking functionary to slip from the gantries and then you have spilled documents everywhere and no one knows where they go, because half of them are in a dead language, and the other half are scraps of paper with no indication of filing code.

Basically look at the VA filing situation. Then mix that in with an entire parking lot filled to the ceiling with newspapers collected by a small army of ravenous hoarders. Make half of that Latin, a quarter olde english, and the rest Antillian Creole french, and then some guy tells you to organize it within that parking lot.

They inherited a shit situation.

>>50589273
Yeah, the Arbites also really only care about thing that mess with the tithe, and xeno-sympathizers/chaos-worshippers. Murder a bum in plain view and they might not even do anything. Burn a field on an agri-world, they'll kill you.

Dredd is definitely more retentive about the small stuff.
>>
Would Only War be a good game for GM + 2 players? I figure it wouldn't be so bad with comrades baked into the system.
>>
>>50589327
>Murder a bum in plain view and they might not even do anything.
Or they might decide "The crime is murder against a loyal citizen of the Imperium. The charge is treason. The sentence is death, to be carried out immediately. How do you plead, scum?" Or they might not even bother with that much and just shoot the perp or grab him and put the boot in until it stops being funny. Or they might drag them down to the local cops to deal with. Depends on how retentive and/or bored the Arbitrator is.
>>
>>50589355
It can work, absolutely.

It depends what kind of campaign you want. Stealth tag team, tank/plane crew?

>>50589374
Maybe, yeah. Probably the latter, tell the local enforcers.

I said bum because 'life is cheap, but labour is at a premium' in the Imperium. A worker in a factory may be more valuable in their eyes.
>>
File: 1348110783316.jpg (205KB, 700x582px) Image search: [Google]
1348110783316.jpg
205KB, 700x582px
>>50589397
Kinda depends on what they wanna do, certainly gonna put the options out there. Might wind up making a Regiment and they can have a squad with one being the Squad Sergeant and one the secondary fireteam lead for a second in command.
>>
>>50589430
That works. It can be a lot of work to be running so many people on you, though.

I'm in two solo campaigns. One is a senior arbitrator leading a handful of cadets. The other is an Inquisitorial Assassin sent in on his own with a support team on the other end of the commbead (Snake/Sam Fisher style).

That speed tends to work best. If you're okay with most things, that works, but for your own stamina, I would recommend finding some way they're operating mostly alone (maybe a small squad, or flying some Marauder Destroyer).
>>
>>50588983
bumping, this girl is my GM
>>
>>50514559

In DH, what's a good way of having an Inquisitor tell the players that no, it isn't really that important, which is why I'm sending you guys instead of checking it out myself; without the players treating it as if it's unimportant or getting mad that he's giving them grunt work?
>>
File: 1344726892822.jpg (64KB, 800x427px) Image search: [Google]
1344726892822.jpg
64KB, 800x427px
>>50589505
I'll probably keep the squad as them, their two comrades, plus two troopers to keep some semblance of possible fire and maneuver if we go that route. All the dudes would have basic personalities rolled for on the chart.

>players face when I'm thinking of force conscripting them as a prologue

It's also my first time GM'ing
>>
>>50589327
>And these legal decrees go back probably some 20,000 years, where languages die off and change.
See, that's the beauty of High Gothic. The pleb masses can't taint it; it stays nice and stagnant and unyielding.
>>
>>50586586
>>50587478
Good to see there's a mechanics reason to justify my desire to play a Metallican Gunslinger, even if I have to fluff it into DH2E.

I kinda want to go all out with the "Metallicans hate not having a pistol on them" to the logical extreme, and have holdout pistols everywhere. Remember that behind-the-back holster in Winter Soldier that Bucky had a Skorpion in? Shit like that.

1E made pistol-only fun with the sheer amount of variants in the splats and expansions. It made the Sector feel alive, to have stated variations, instead of "this is a stub pistol. all stub pistols are like this one." Port over OW's weapon personalization rules, and suddenly the GM's job with weapon descriptions is half done for him.
>>
>>50589916
>
I kinda want to go all out with the "Metallicans hate not having a pistol on them" to the logical extreme, and have holdout pistols everywhere. Remember that behind-the-back holster in Winter Soldier that Bucky had a Skorpion in? Shit like that.
Remember, you're not truly prepared unless you have a non-metallic polymer holdout pistol stowed either up your ass or in an augmetic flesh-pocket somewhere discreet.
>>
>>50589960
that reminds me, has anyone ever statted a bang stick?
>>
>>50589658
That sounds good, you can build the other troops/comrades specialties around what they're lacking. Don't be afraid to overrule the chart to have some variety and uniqueness to each character.
>>
>>50589721
Oh, I mean before high gothic.

"The most ancient articles are written on crumbling parchments, enscribed in unknown human tongues by the nameless functionaries of a forgotten age"

No one can speak the languages that their law is based on anymore.

No one knows what their law actually says, it could completely overrule key components.
>>
>>50589430
I would actually go sorta the opposite. Make them support specialists like a Commissar and Stormtrooper or Ministorum Priest and Ogryn and have them bouncing around between regiments that are suffering from morale problems or such issues.

It lets them get a taste for various styles of games (tanks, stealth, recon, guerilla, etc) until they can hit on something they like then they can be assigned to that regiment.

And if you ever write yourself into a corner you can kill offf all the npcs and start fresh.
>>
>>50589644
I'd say the worry is more that players will be expecting a trap of some sort.
>>
>>50590139
>>And if you ever write yourself into a corner you can kill offf all the npcs and start fresh.
>Spend weeks of in-game time setting up, say, The Blake's World 113th Heavy Infantry, "The Crushers", with interesting characters and NPCs and solving their problems and forging them into a well-honed fighting unit
>Leave to another unit in a different warzone
>A week later, get the news that that 113th Blake's World Heavy Infantry has been wiped out to the last man trying to hold a fortress against the green tide
>Every single named NPC from the regiment is among the list of the dead that you read out in-character
"War. War never changes."
>>
File: 1348101110302.png (1015KB, 768x991px) Image search: [Google]
1348101110302.png
1015KB, 768x991px
>>50590139
That's not a bad idea either. I'll have to see what they want to play, as I'm gonna leave their career to them. Don't really want to pigeonhole them when we all want a game after our third guy ditched us on Shadowrun,
>>
>>50589327
I have run games where the players went deep into an administratum paper vault to find a ledger for an Imperial Guard tithe from M39. They ran into bookvalanches, paper chasms, ancient re-purposed murder servitors that were trying to convert the filing system to Techna-Lingua, and a chaos cult that had been trying to complete a rite of summoning that had been scribbled on the back of a bill of lauding.

So yeah, send your clerk into that shit to find the precedent that a guy can pay his outstanding property tax by enrolling his son in the Imperial Guard.
>>
>>50590450
I deeply enjoyed reading this.
>>
>>50590267
Out of curiosity why do you want to go from Shadowrun to OW? I'd say a closer proximity is Dark Heresy.
>>
>>50590808
Not that guy, but variety can be a good thing. I didn't need to jump to a feudal game after playing Pathfinder for years.

Though hell, a campaign on a feudal world with Imperial Knights and shit does some absolutely dope as heck, but that's separate.
>>
>>50590808
I picked up the OW book after I heard FFG lost the license and because I had been wanting it. One of the other guys was running the Shadowrun game. We didn't get far before it crashed and burned so there wasn't much of a tone to shift from.

So it's mostly my liking the Guard and them saying "sure" when asked if they'd play it if I ran it.
>>
>>50514559
Every rogue tradet ever. I dont think I've met a single player eho didnt go female with the queen bitch personality.
>>
So my players are playing a Highborn regiment. They have an assigned company of Stormtroopers named the Peers. I want my players to absolutely loath these guys. How do you get your players to hate on someone who is essentially on their side?
>>
>>50590974
Give them better equipment by a metric league, that the players don't feel they deserve or they got much easier. They should probably also be pretty arrogant dickbags.
>>
>>50590974
Attitude. http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/secret.html

Here's a good example. Have that regiment critique the players on everything, even if it wasn't under their control. They're just using them as a footstool for ambitions and advancements.

Your players are highborn? Have the other regiment despise them for their upbringing. Basically tag on disparaging terms for their nobility. Milk drinkers, softies, etc. They start with one less wound? Basically makes them wimps in the eyes of Stormtroopers. Confirms all their biases.
>>
>>50553019
Do you really think that Orks care about knocking down and lighting on fire every tree for hundreds of miles? If anything, they'll think causing a gigantic explosion is a good laugh!

Besides, Imperial buildings are all stone and futuretech materials. They're not going to be casually knocked down like that unless it's some pissant Feral World or something.
>>
Looking for ship deck and building plans for roll20
>>
>>50592310

We're in the same boat, then. Been using cathedral floor plans/blueprints for the bridges of ships. It's worked well so far, but soon I'm gonna get my goons fighting a mutiny against their Interrogator (who basically waved his master's rosette around to commandeer the ship - he's the Quiz's favourite Interrogator, and arrogant as shit) and maybe some minor gellar field fuckery in the distant future. I was thinking of going through Rogue Trader books - surely they've got something.

What game are you running, by the way? We're rolling with DH2e.
>>
>>50592412
Making deckplans of ships in 40k isn't practical since they're all three-dimensional mazes of intertwining corridors, galleries, rooms, and conduits multiple kilometers long.

Making a floorplan of a 40k ship is like making a floor plan of a city. You're better off separating it into multiple components and describing the transit through them narratively.
>>
>>50514559
>>>50592310
>
>We're in the same boat, then. Been using cathedral floor plans/blueprints for the bridges of ships. It's worked well so far, but soon I'm gonna get my goons fighting a mutiny against their Interrogator (who basically waved his master's rosette around to commandeer the ship - he's the Quiz's favourite Interrogator, and arrogant as shit) and maybe some minor gellar field fuckery in the distant future. I was thinking of going through Rogue Trader books - surely they've got something.
>
>What game are you running, by the way? We're rolling with DH2e.
>>50592412
Only war and black crusade currently
>>
So, /tg/, your Acolytes' Inquisitor assigns you to investigate a chain of luxury hab-food annexes that cater to children using the simplest sort of tech-automata power suits to perform pre-programmed song and dance numbers. Reports have surfaced of the automata acting independently and roaming the grounds of the food-annexes during the night, something that should be far beyond their programming. You have been assigned to discover the cause of this, determine whether or not it's the result of tech-heresy, and deal with it appropriately.

Your PCs are now stuck in Five Nights At Freddy's, in 40k. What do they do?
>>
>>50593120
Ha! Ha! Time for melta weapons.
>>
>>50593120
I wouldnt gm a cancerous ass game with even worse fanbase made in 40k
>>
>>50593283
But you're already playing 40k ...
>>
>>50593120
Sounds like a standard Scan n' Smite scenario with haywire Servitors.
>>
>>50593333
They're not servitors, but inorganic automata, which should be less intelligent than even the dimmest servitor. Key word: should be.

This isn't the case, however, because they're possessed by the ghosts children murdered by a serial killer who was one of the food chain's founders, who started off killing opportunistically for pleasure, then discovered the ghost-possession and began experimenting to replicate it after his son got bitten and suffered a severe brain injury, which then resulted in his daughter getting snagged and killed by one of his capture-automata and her ghost possessing it, and that in turn eventually lead to the ghost-possessed automata tricking him into a situation where they could scoop out his organs, replace them with mechanical parts, and then possess him as a sort of living meat puppet to interact with human society.
>>
>>50593455

Remember that AI is banned, so give some reason why this operates (maybe have it as a technicality that the local Admech are pissy about), chuck the game's serial killer bullshit (or keep it as an urban myth), replace it with some kind of Chaos artifice or corruption, like what happened to that Iron Men STC. Alternatively, have some Hereteks experiment on these previously harmless things, making everything go to shit and all is well, if cringey. I wouldn't run it without making the resemblance less obvious, but meh.
>>
What the shit is up with the Rector Erudite advance? It seems like its only worth playing if the GM banned the tech priest and somehow expected the group to pass knowledge tests. By the time you can start pumping int and knowledges at a reasonable exp cost its likely too late as you have to wade through 2500 xp to get there. Then there's the whole deviating from the melee orientation of the class and suddenly giving you a bolter without giving you BS aptitudes.

I am thoroughly confused by this class as it doesnt seem like an upgrade at all.
>>
>>50587941
Having accurate only work for basic weapons is dumb and should honestly just be houseruled away.
>>
As an Apostate in Black Crusade is it worthwhile looking into heavy weapons or should i look into rifles/flamers?
I don't really think melee is the best idea, seems better to either be dedicated to it or be a CSM to do that.
>>
making a buffing sarge for only war, got +10 to command and get them!, what else should i look into getting in the future?
>>
>>50594292
Uh, well im not much of an only war player but in Black Crusade there are talents that make your pathetic mewling minions get bonuses against pinning, fear etc. I assume slaves to the false emperor get scared all the time so stuff like that would be a good idea.
>>
>>50592879
Different anon, but can I hear about your BC game? It is my favorite of the bunch and not overly played.
>>
So I want to run a Dark Heresy campaign, but it's my first time GMing a 40K RPG specifically. Any recommendations for balancing enemies? I want to be able to throw fun stuff at the party early on. Is it better to just start everyone with more experience, or just give them some better armor earlier on?
>>
>>50594722

Don't. Ease them into things. It will be better for you as well.
>>
>>50594722
I'm no expert, but perhaps give them favorable cover and circumstances, perhaps some easily obtainable allies etc during the encounters you want them to go up against more powerful beings.

Like when they are fighting cultists or gangers make it an even fight, but when they have to face off against a squad of eldar howling banshees or a daemon possessed mutant there are mounted heavy stubbers/autocannons in the room they can use or they can flood an area with smoke but they have special goggles that can track their foe despite the smoke.

Anyway good armor and/or maybe force fields could be cool, but don't forget they can use fate points to avoid death, so its their effectiveness as a team that matters more than whether or not they will be instantly killed as individuals.
>>
>>50594722
Use Mook rules for encounters. Except for a leader or psyker or big bad, it's one hit one kill.
>>
>>50593304
Fuck off you fukken furry
>>
>>50594459
The party has the plague doctor, apostate and the q'sal psyker. They fucked up Sacgrave really badly, Apostate got the chain, Plague Doctor released a virus-to-come and Q'sal got screamer daggers and killed his old enemy. The campaign is post poned for now tho.
>>
>>50595102
So how did you handle putting a basic archetype in an advanced party?
>>
Was tossing up between Dark Heresy (from the OP, seems 2e is the was to go) or Shadowrun (3e, 4e, or 5e) for our group of 4+me's next game. We're all interested in and have knowledge of both universes, with me being the furthest down the 40k rabbit hole, and the-guy-that-usually-plays-the-face being the Shadowrun lore guy.

Am torn, as it's up to me. On the one hand, purging, hiding, ivestigation and Exterminatus; on the other, the Matrix, infiltration, peaceful conflict resolution.
>>
>>50595513
Do a short run of each and see what the group wants more of right now? You could even swap out every few months if people wanted to let the DM of each game build up more material.
>>
>>50595513
>Peaceful conflict resolution in shadowrun
What?
>>
>>50595602

Well, in 40k it's pretty much "purge xenos/heretic/daemon/person that defied the Inquisition" whereas in Shadowrun you don't necessarily have to kill people on the, uh, "opposing team".
>>
Alright, MEGAguy'll do next thread, need to update some stuff in the OP.

Would the anon who mentioned fucked pdfs please get back to me with the file paths so I can put the advisory in there?
>>
>>50594934
I just don't want to be boring for the first session battle wise just because based on their experience I can only throw a few threat level 5's at them at a time. Oh no a pleb tier cultist just flailed his arms at me. Once again I haven't run a Dark Heresy campaign before so let me know if I'm mistaken at how deadly a low threat level person really is.

>>50594953
I like that idea, and it seems rather easy to incorporate as necessary.
>>
>>50596703

New Thread
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.