[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neverwinter Nights General /nwng/ General thread for /tg/�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 264
Thread images: 14

File: nwntg op.jpg (307KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
nwntg op.jpg
307KB, 560x560px
Neverwinter Nights General /nwng/
General thread for /tg/'s NWN server (WIP).

>Current Subject:
Should we build the server with a region with a published setting or homebrew our own setting?

There's advantages to both; the published setting route can give PCs a great deal of familiarity.

Alternately option 3, we could make up a demiplane attached to a published setting, such that characters could be from that published setting rather than needing to know our demiplane, which allows us to make our own region but have factions/races/cultures/history from something published.

What are your thoughts?

>NWN is a D&D Vidya which supports both online and offline gameplay, as well as persistent servers, and a DMs client for running adventures. (IE it's a lot like roll20 with prettier graphics and much of the game mechanics automated.)

>You can get NWN at GoG. Currently it's free (for the next few hours, grab it while you can).
https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

>Here's the official discord for the server. This invite never expires.
https://discord.gg/DWAgNEp

>Currently, links and such are on the discord (organized) and in the general NWN thread here >>50494585
(disorganized)
>>
>>50507371
Reporting in
>>
>>50507647
Give opinions on the current subject, rather than just bumping?

What do you think we should do for the setting?
>>
>>50507371
Worst of both worlds: Let's pick the most obscure setting possible so we're creatively restricted AND also know nothing.
>>
>>50507943
lmao.

Any better non-joke suggestions?
>>
>>50507967
Find an already made server and host it edit as needed.
Or do something with d20 modern since nothing good has ever been done with it really.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/D20_Modern_Mod
>>
File: 511HNX+eLRL.jpg (48KB, 362x500px) Image search: [Google]
511HNX+eLRL.jpg
48KB, 362x500px
>>50508012
>d20 modern since nothing good has ever been done with it really
Including the actual tabletop game.
>>
>>50508012
>existing open source server package
that would certainly be a shortcut. I'll dig around a bit and see what's available.

>d20 modern
never again.
>>
>>50508134
>never again.
Which project did you work on?
>>
>>50508167
I didnt work on a d20 modern NwN project. I played/ran the tabletop.

The system is a mess, in comparison to 3.0.
>>
>>50508134
>Publically Available PW
Most of them are not public; but:

>World of Rhun
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/world-rhun
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/persistent-world-rhun-available-download
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/rhun-rise-underdark

>Evermeet
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/evermeet-cep-v21-server-module

AAnd then the NWVault site seems to have gone down.

Another approach we could take is (instead of making our own server) going the lazy route and joining an existing playerworld. Evidently several of them still exist.

http://yourserverlist.com/index.php?juego=nwn1
>>
Heavy metal would be the absolute shit! Mixing the best of the d20 modern with classic fantasy elements! The only thing missing would be some Iron Maiden, blue oyster cult, Van Halen and whatnot
>>
>>50507371
I would be severely down for this, seeing as I've never done much NWN before.
>>
>>50508808
Prisoners of the Most is really good. Amia is ok. Avoid Ravenloft like the plague

NWN rp servers were my shit for a decade. My schedule doesn't support it anymore sadly
>>
>>50509587
I used to play on a Dalelands/Myth Drannor server around Elventree a lot; don't remember the name of the server, but it went down before 2007.
>>
I've played and DM'ed in a NWN2 server for more than 1000 hours. what do?
>>
>>50509892
>wat do
What do you mean? gonna need more.

we do not yet have a persistent world, and have not even decided what to build yet.

we're a bit ahead of actually running games with it.

any experience with the aurora toolset or nwscript?
>>
File: 1474956770229.gif (220KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474956770229.gif
220KB, 250x250px
>>50507371
>Should we build the server with a region with a published setting or homebrew our own setting?
I prefer homebrew settings, since they offer more creative freedom. Unless you're willing to bend or branch off from canon, then either is fine.

>mfw I'll be laggy as fuck, but still excited.

I'll probably roll up a buff-centric caster and make someone's life a bit easier.
>>
>>50510172
>Creative Freedom.

I figure the setting's timeline only matters up to the point the campaign starts.

If I run a Forgotten Realms game and I set it in the middle of 2e in say: 1365, anything after that point is irrelevant, unless it's something I deliberately choose to incorporate.
>>
>>50510010
not so much just the nwn2's own dm stuff.
>>
>>50509587
>>50509629
I was big into this as a kid, so seeing something starting up here is pretty hype.

I'm actually interested in the idea of starting a new server, though. The entrenched players on existing PWs would hate us by default for being a group of new people, and they'd start with the asanine bully tactics almost immediately.
>>
>>50510258
Okay. looking at nwn1 in this thread. there's a great deal of similarity on the dm side, and I think the gameplay is superior.

The creator is a bit simpler to use, and hakpaks are not distributed automatically the first time you connect to a server (theres some kind of a plugin for this, But I've never tried it)
>>
NWN2 was messier, but NWN1 has aged extremely poorly.
>>
>>50510318
>nwn1 is uglier, yes.
But nwn2 really does have worse chunkier gameplay.

Also, the fact that nwn1 was suddenly free is a big help.
>>
>>50510352
True, but that also raises the question of how many people will grab it because of /tg/ and play regularly.
PW servers require a standing population to be good.
>>
>>50508039
Okay here's how you do it.

Allow people to ghestalt. One class is Warblade (Tome of Battle) or Spellcaster (Unearthed Arcana), the other is Psion (psychokinetic preferably). Allow Spellcaster or Psion to learn [healing] descriptor spells.

Only allow d20 modern/future equipment. Vehicles should be quite rare, but the ones you find are awesome. Naturally occurring monsters should be vermin or animals, while various areas should be guarded by robots, and areas of EVIIIIL should have evil outsiders.

What does this give you? It gives you a contemporary science-fiction/fantasy setting that involves space travel, an absolute evil, cloning and artificial humans, and giant yellow chickens. Also known as Phantasy Star
>>
>>50510464
There is no h in "gestalt"
>>
>>50510368
So, what: do you think we'd be better off using nwn2 despite it's lesser gameplay?
>>
>>50510520
and larger barrier to entry?
>>
>>50510520
>>50510528

It... depends.
I mean, if we want to try and pull in non-/tg/ people to this PW, we will want nwn2 because it has a small but still-living community.
If we have enough /tg/ people to sustain a server proper on it's own, an NWN1 server will probably suffice.
>>
>>50510352
for nwn2 it doesnt matter if its a legit copy either at this point.
>>
>>50510511
There is now, I'm adding BOEF classes
>>
anyone played on dalelands beyond nwn2? I spent some looong time there
>>
Never played NWN before - how does multiplayer work exactly? I read previous thread but am still kinda confused as to how it works
>>
>>50510535
Do you think we actually need a server that's well populated?

I figured a server that is simply designed to well-accommodate /tg/ gms running campaigns.

/tg/ is constantly complaining about a lack of meats pace games.

this would give a viable alternative, no?
>>
>>50510730
What do you mean?

you go to multiplayer, and you type in the address and connect to a multiplayer server that is running.

the multiplayer server is a separate exe which comes with the game. you can run one yourself if you have a module to do so with.
>>
>>50510730
there used to be a public listing of active servers in-game through game spy. game spy is defunct.

there is an alternate directory that can be connected to if you mod the game, and there are web based server directories, and you can connect to any server if you know the address.
>>
>>50510732
Mmm... I'm bias on that one.
Persistent world servers were my jam back in the day, so I'm dying to have another to run around in.
>>
>>50510761
frankly, I don't think we're going to find the active player base to start one of those. regardless of which game is chosen.
>>
>>50510352
>worse chunkier gameplay
That's an opinion sir
I spent thousands of hours in both games online, there is nothing (including gameplay) that I would say is better in the first one save from easy content creation, ten times bigger mod base, and less bugs.
nwn2, contrary to common opinion, is even way more flexible in terms of mechanics, scripts and gui. While there is a lot of stuff that still is hardcoded, sadly, you can twist nwn2 in a ways that are just not possible for nwn1. Ever wondered why almost all nwn2 PWs have incorporated lot of custom races, classes, feats, skills, and so on, while nwn1 is mostly devoid of serious changes? You know now. It is just much easier to do in nwn2. Downside is that nwn2 REQUIRES you to do the heavy scripting while in nwn1 big part of it can be avoided.

Still, because of more complicated area building, coupled by poorly designed toolset (in terms of ease of use), AND higher expectations, nwn2 creation is much, much harder and effort-draining. Building a NWN2 PW from scratch is at least a year work for a group of people including at least one talented scripter, few map builders and few assistants for simpler tasks. While you can easily build quality nwn1 game world in quarter of that time if you have know how.

>>50510535
There are NO good nwn2 english language servers currently desu
maybe BG is passable. The other biggest server is ERP server which says a lot. Though i mostly played on non-english ones. Still do, even, despite my national servers also had degenerated to shit

>>50510660
Not true. Gamespy is down. But servers use keys for account identification. Without it, anyone could just log on your character. That's why you need set of unique working keys. And the supply of pirate keys is low so there is big chance of conflicting keys if you use the ones from the net. There is rumour that you can use acrually totally random string of characters as a key and it will work but it never was confirmed.
>>
How about an urban-based Waterdeep server?

And the entire map is the fuck-huge city, with various political guilds and such.

and under-city dungeons out the ass.

And who could forget halaster.
>>
>>50510300
Not necessarily, but maybe. probably. 4chan attitudes probably wouldn't mix with the Normie's well
>>
>>50511128
the suggested published options gave been waterdeep and ptolus (Both are different takes on the same premise), or a homebrew option that fills the same niche
>>
>>50511031
>nwn1 lacks races
Those are easy. shayans subrace engine.
>classes
those are doable, but more work, particularly for vancian casters. prc implemented basically all the 3.0/3.5 classes though, so people typically just use it. it *also* brings new races, without the subrace engine.
>feats
doable, particularly for use-activated skills. passive skills are trickier but typically still doable.

>nwn2 is way more work.
that right there is a good reason to skip it. we don't have much manpower
>>
>>50511031
I never played nwn2 online, btw. it was the singleplayer which came across as a crappy nwn1 with a fresh coat of paint.

I did notice that the new toolkit seemed much more labor intensive
>>
>>50511273
that said, I do agree that classes & feats have crappy file representations in nwn1 which are not exactly the most convenient way to make them, but I remember nwn2 having basically the same format for the classes (don't recall the feats in nwn2 )
>>
Show of interest from our fellow prospect players. Which would you rather play in?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11787547
>>
>>50511164
They're not normies, they're /b/ rejects. Nay, I would even say /r9k/ is better than them.
>>
so seriously what is stopping some That Guy from logging in at midnight and fireballing everything
>>
>>50511690
The ban he gets the morning after.
>>
File: NWN2_SS_092816_223432.jpg (91KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
NWN2_SS_092816_223432.jpg
91KB, 1366x768px
>>50511359
Well, classes are not the problem. It is easy to add a class in both games. It is hard to give it abilities. Unless you just want to re-use abilities of other classes. Both games treat all abilities as feats, so it's basically down to feats.

And for feats... strucure is simmilar, but there are fewer things hardcoded in nwn2 than in nwn1 and more can be changed. But the main reason is scripting. Most "new" feats aren't built by editing them and creating them to work like norma, base game feats. Rather than that, modders create "dummy" feats that do nothing at all, and then apply a script that applies their effect externally, like an invisible, infinite in time, undispellable buff when character has such feat. It is technically possible in both games, but due to nwn2's overwhelming superiority in terms of scripting, it's just way, way easier to do it in elegant way than in nwn2.

But yes. Nwn2 requires way too much work to make anything with it to even consider it as a possibility.
Just LEARNING how to create something with the toolset is task in itself. I never got past the interior area design But at this at least I got some expertise. Image is a tavern I did for a short lived project. Terrain sculpting and painting is something that eludes me.

>>50511903
Nobody sees that, no harm. NPCs will respawn next server restart, and nobody will never, ever consider this as something that even happened.
>>
>ded thread

/tg/ gets shit done indeed..
>>
>>50512161
The thing that always gets me is that a more powerful editor and more complete scripting options was what everyone was asking for in NWN1. And then NWN2 gave them what they asked for and everyone was like wait never mind, this looks hard.
>>
NWN2 is shit for multiplayer because it's less stable, which is the #1 required feature for a PW. People will play with small worlds and tiny playerbases and bad scripting. They won't play games that crash all the time.
>>
ok first off administrating an nwn server is one of the most cancerous experiences that exists in this world and i strongly recommend that you stop while you still can and there isnt a horde of autistics shrieking at you over a forum 24/7

with that said you guys might benefit from using an established module as a base

this is a version of the sigil: planar legends module

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_v241.rar
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_NWNX.zip
>>
>>50513951
good module! it's higher level so you skip the boring low level part where you can't do anything, and sigil provides a very nice basis for adventuring across diverse settings
>>
>>50513951
i met an actual pedophile playing this module

i don't play nwn anymore
>>
>>50514033
you're just being a debbie downer, presence of pedophilia has nothing to do with the quality of a persistent world. if anything, it might even improve it by diversifying the playerbase. otherwise it'd just be a throng of sexually inactive heterosexual men hunched over their keyboards as they simulate social activity through semi-fictitious self-insert characters
>>
>>50513586
It is way too complicated for what it offers though. And just quirky. And the interface is plain bad. It sucks at ergonomics, to put it simply.
They could make it with the same capabilities but with better designed tools to use it, but... it was Obsidian so it explains a lot.
Secondly NWN2 toolset never passed the beta stage, even in the last expansion they didn't dare to call it a complete product.
>>
>>50514056

if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself
>>
>>50514033
Yet you still come to 4chan
>>
So, how's the server going?
>>
File: DMing.gif (1MB, 370x270px) Image search: [Google]
DMing.gif
1MB, 370x270px
The big question is whether there will be proper storylines and lasting effects from player actions.

On the one hand, it adds a sense of continuity that makes every much more engaging.

On the other, it requires someone to actually make and update that content, and we all know how that usually ends.
>>
>>50516992
figuring out logistics and checking out some preconstruction options to save us time.
>>
>>50516992
Interest Check?
https://strawpoll.de/dw3c45b
>>
>>50517284
I'm a bit busy and I'm not an expert or anything, but I wouldn't mind doing worldbuilding and GMing stuff if there's enough of a community to make it worth the time.
>>
>>50517338
>>50517284
How many people voted in a specific category but didn't check off being interested?

Because the poll doesnt have a ton of results, and it would already seem to indicate we have more people interested in particular categories, than we have people.
>>
>>50517406
I was wondering the same thing.
I thought it was obvious, when I did it, that you check the "Count" option to make sure the number of people are counted but...
Apparently we have some really dumb people among us.
>>
>>50517406
I checked
>Interested at all
>Player
>Admin / mod
My technical skills, at least with NWN's engine, are non-existent.

But if you need someone to put together a news letter, enforce rules or ban hammer fucktards that refuse to learn, I have prior experience.
>>
>>50517539
>But if you need someone to put together a news letter, enforce rules or ban hammer fucktards that refuse to learn, I have prior experience.
kek
>>
>>50517584
I had the same reaction.
He already sounds like he's power-tripping, doesn't he?
>>
>>50517584
You'd be amazed how many online venues fall apart because no one wants to keep a webpage updated or they don't have the balls to ban their "friends."

Dear fucking god, the cock sucking bullshit I've seen over the years.
>>
>>50509587

But anon, Ravenloft IS Prisoners of the Mist.

And it's alright, but cliquey as fuck.
>>
>>50517601
>He already sounds like he's power-tripping, doesn't he?
Sorry if it came off that way. I just see it as performing a necessary function.

Admin of this forum I used to frequent was really friendly, but completely spineless. Couldn't handle being the barer of bad news, so I got volunteered.

Ideally, it wouldn't be necessary. But this is /tg/, where we have at least one thread a day with somebody that can't understand 'talk to them like a normal human being and, if that fails, kick them from the group.'
>>
>>50517786
Fair enough.
That said, NWN PWs have two causes of death: Laziness, and power-tripping clique bullshit.
The latter is far, far more common than the former. It's something that people ought be concerned about.
>>
File: oUGvWMx.gif (499KB, 500x248px) Image search: [Google]
oUGvWMx.gif
499KB, 500x248px
>>50517858
True.
>>
Did we pick the setting yet? I'm up for whatever but there's a lot of shit I don't know.
>>
>>50517786
>>50517858
Absolutely. You need to be willing to stop people from shitting up the place, but you also need to make sure it's not cliquey unfair BS.
>>
>>50518069
If we build something from scratch it looks like it'll be Ptolus.

However we're also currently researching for something already part-built, so we can get things up and running faster.
>>
>>50518101
>Ptolus
>To Google!
>City packed with dungeons and a dwarven city under it.
So we're going with the urban adventure idea? Because that sounds different from the NWN servers I've played on. In a good way.
>>
>>50518154
>"chaositech"
>Even more elf sub-races.
>Rape-elves
>Winged-elves
Okay, on second thought it's got some potential pitfalls. But it could work. I just really want to play anything, honestly.
>>
>>50518083
For me personally, it falls as sort of a... I don't want the job really, but I'd be happy to do it if it seems needed. I have experience in community management and stuff, so I'm qualified. I guess whoever is in charge of the hosting will decide that though.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but that Discord link in the first post says it's expired. Is there a newer one?
>>
>>50518288
Wouldn't necessarily keep everything fluffwise.

But yes, the goal would be something that has Urban+Dungeons+Wilderness+Rural, with Urban and Dungeons as the main focus.

I'd suggest we drop the Chaositech if we go Ptolus.

As for races, well, I'm okay with some diverging there.

The Elf subraces replace the standard ones, they're not "in addition to faerun elves."
>>
>>50518069
Join the discord to see what being talked about and to add your ideas. https://discord.gg/DWAgNEp
>>
>>50507371
Since the strawpoll was such an abysmal failure, here's a signup sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MDQyL0Dcg7MYkpL4d57hPzlsZE9MCWZXWvKAA2qXtYE/edit?usp=sharing

In Roll Call put your discord name in a blank slot.

In each of the other sheets that you're interested in something, put your "Member ID" into the appropriate slot and put a 1 in each column you're potentially interested in.
>>
>>50509629
I remember that one my cleric broke low levels by getting a +1 2 3 4 spell slot ring for his class at like level three or four.
>>
>>50510520
If you want to do custom base classes nwn 2 is a must nwn2 is much better with custom content overall
>>
>>50518539
I was thinking more "Use this collection of existing custom content"

Not "build a whole bunch of our own custom classes and such"
>>
>>50518561
Well the point stands if you want to use something like prc you are better off with nwn 2,if you just want core stuff nwn1 is fine also is there someone willing to work on this That understands how to script and how to use nwnx?
Those are the hardest skills to find good people willing to do.
Also did any of you play on Pangea? That was probably the best custom content server I played on, followed by modern zombie survival 1.
>>
>>50518539
Not really, stuff like ToB is incredibly shittily implemented in NWN2 and nobody's tried psionics because it's a huge pain in the ass while that's already a done deal in NWN1. It's easy to manage simple classes like most of the stuff Kaedrin's adds, but anything more complex than that runs into engine issues.
>>
>>50518400
I hope you guys are still around when I get back. I've got a campaign to run right now.
>>
>>50518660
Well also kedrian stopped doing public releases last I checked since people kept stealing his shit
>>
>>50518621
I know how to script. Also got a university degree for compsci, and was a career software developer for two years.

No experience with NWNX however.

>If you want to use something like PRC you should use NWN2.
Why?
And haven't we already ruled out NWN2 because we have no chance of getting the manpower needed to build a NWN2 server?
>>
>>50518697
>was
As in, I very quickly burnt out of the industry and now don't even look at that kind of work while jobhunting.
>>
>>50518713
Putting that degree to good use anon.
>>
>>50518697
Because adding base classes in nwn 1 is a pain in the ass and is generally clunky to use them for Level one even if you get the Leto scripts in place only way to do it is usually some work around like a text menu for all the level one options.
>>
>>50518731
Or building your character outside the game. Like with the java character builder, or that web character builder that I saw several PWs using back in the day which I've been having a hard time finding.

>>50518730
Yep.

I couldn't take the shit pay, no benefits, no pension, large amounts of constant unpaid overtime, nearly everything was a short-term-contract, and management was constantly harassing the team.

I read the average burnout before people nope the fuck out is around 4 years.

In my experience, the software developer job market is toxic as fuck.

Currently working a job any schlub with highschool could do, and trying to come up with a better plan.

Maybe turn my project management courses into a career as a manager; or become an MCSE and maintain networks or some shit.

Only way I see myself using my degree now is for my own projects, of which I have a few.
>>
>>50512161
>Nobody sees that, no harm. NPCs will respawn next server restart, and nobody will never, ever consider this as something that even happened.

so its not persistent
>>
>>50518825
>my own projects
Including an indie game I'm not very far into which I would like to try to make a bit of cash from when its done.

>>50518894
Persistent as in its up 24/7, rather than just when a DM is running a session, and (presumably) the shit that happens when more people than you are actually online gets updated in the server.

But yes, by default, if you kill an NPC, and the server resets, that NPC would come back. There's not much of a way to get that kind of persistence in the game automatically. Someone would have to go in, and edit the module, and say "Somebody killed all the shopkeepers. Now we don't have any." and delete them.
>>
>>50518941
>But yes, by default, if you kill an NPC, and the server resets, that NPC would come back. There's not much of a way to get that kind of persistence in the game automatically. Someone would have to go in, and edit the module, and say "Somebody killed all the shopkeepers. Now we don't have any." and delete them.
You can do it with nwn X but it will be more work then it is worth, revenge of the dead had a persistent base building mechanic that was all handled by the server.
>>
File: Blow Cock.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Blow Cock.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>50518894
>pic related

>>50518941
>Why is the innkeeper suddenly an elf?
>He's new. Last one got killed.
>Life continues on as normal.
Or turn the banned-for-rampant-dickery guy's character into a villainous NPC for other players to hunt for a bounty.
>>
>>50518941
>>50518986
but doesn't it also mean that all someone has to do is run in and fireball things to force a reset? Fireball breaks a shit ton of props too IIRC. Its how my sorc got around traps.
>>
>>50519005
Well unless the server has automated reset cycles which is also doable, so jack ass killed npc well no shop then until we find a replacement after next reset.
Or just make the non hostile npcs plot which a dm can turn off if they need to.
>>
>>50519039
I've seen servers that reset every 6h before.

and shopkeepers can be set invincible.
>>
>>50519105
>Here's stuff we've settled on thus far:
>Starting Level: 3
>Max Level:?? (20, probably)
>PVP: RP Server, so, if it fits.
>Death: Generally you spawn in an underworld. If you die against mobs while soloing or coop without a GM, you spawn in the underworld with a revival token. You can prepay for resurrections, in which case a revival token will be in your inventory even before you die. If you're online concurrently with someone who wants to resurrect you, they can pay for you to get a revival token. Revival tokens are keyed to character level. If you activate a revival token as an item, it gives you the opportunity to pay the gold difference to level it up to your level (assuming you have the gold).
>>
>>50520319
>>Death: Generally you spawn in an underworld. If you die against mobs while soloing or coop without a GM, you spawn in the underworld with a revival token. You can prepay for resurrections, in which case a revival token will be in your inventory even before you die. If you're online concurrently with someone who wants to resurrect you, they can pay for you to get a revival token. Revival tokens are keyed to character level. If you activate a revival token as an item, it gives you the opportunity to pay the gold difference to level it up to your level (assuming you have the gold).
That sounds stupid just have a death penalty.
>>
>>50520346
the point is to have something like permadeath as a possibility for PVP, and for campaigns, but not for when you're just fucking around when nobody is on.

It's more or less Death as it works in D&D, but implemented in the game
>>
>>50520468
>It's more or less Death as it works in D&D, but implemented in the game
So a complete bitch at low levels, completely irrelevant once you know a good cleric and can afford better than +1 swords?
>>
>>50520533
We'll probably scale it better, but yes; PVP Death should be more difficult to make stick (but not impossible) at the higher levels; and meaningless death to mooks should cost nothing but some gold.
>>
>>50520468
Alright I have run two servers back when nwn was popular, and I am going to let you in on a secret, perma death does not work, it just leaves people salty and causes more problems then it solves.
>>
>>50520949
>losing a character makes people salty
so does a guy running around griefing people while staying just enough within the rules he doesnt get banned.
what's your point?
>>
File: Fly me away.gif (499KB, 222x366px) Image search: [Google]
Fly me away.gif
499KB, 222x366px
>>
I never played NW.
Is it similar to Icewind Dale?
>>
>>50524353
fairly similar. based on 3e though, not 2e
>>
>>50520949
Saltiness is fine as long as the server you make is enjoyable and connects with the players it is hosting. Permadeath is the best thing to happen in NWN PWs, because it does two things.

1) It keeps the meta fresh. Do you know how obnoxious it is to be slowly trudging behind everyone else, and by the time you hit the cap, they're already looted with so much more DM rewards and gear and supplies? Let me tell you; it is absurdly obnoxious. Allowing the players to manage themselves, and kill each other, creates dynamic / interesting changes on the servers.

I'll give you an example - let's same I'm an assassin, and you're a lord. We're on a no perma death server. I get a contract to kill you, and I manage to do so. But, since there's no perma death, you get to keep playing your lord PC, with little to no penalty, and I become the most wanted man on the server, where I get to be griefed by you later on.

But on a perma death server, you die, my character becomes this renowned assassin, and I only have to worry about your cohorts coming after me.

2) Narrative. The lord is dead, the assassin is still free, the kingdom is in disarray and trying to get back on its feet. Or, the lord recovers brilliantly from his assassination attempt, puts a bounty on the assassin, and things keep going as normal.

Which sounds far more interesting?
>>
All interesting interaction in PWs comes from player conflict that ends in triumph or tragedy. Players need to be able to kill each other, or your PW will devolve into Ravenloft levels of boring wank.

Permadeath-less servers are always, always, always shit. The best way to do it is -> death to npc (without DM possession) = exp loss -> death to player = perma, death to DM-possessed npc = up to DM discretion.

Any other system is doomed to fail.
>>
>>50520319
The max level should be somewhere around 12. nwn gets really stupid and dragon ball z around level 15 or so. 10 is a nice middle ground, where most class combos can be viable and fun.
>>
>>50520644
Making PVP death more difficult to pull off on higher levels is just going to create a server environment where an elite clique of boring invincible characters shits on everyone. Make it easier to be perma'd at higher levels, so there is some risk with the reward of being a cut above.
>>
>>50520949
I'm sure your servers full of invincible godlords were incredible havens of roleplaying depth and immersion.
>>
>>50518413
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MDQyL0Dcg7MYkpL4d57hPzlsZE9MCWZXWvKAA2qXtYE/edit?usp=sharing

Having a "PR" and "Management" role alongside "DM" roles is going to be cliquetown. You should all be DMs with an equal standing and say, or kill this project before it even starts. You're creating a house with dogshit foundations and asking for a one-month-in implosion when PR/DM/Management/Builders all begin to develop natural resentment for each other due to the division of roles.
>>
>>50525375
>>50525241
Because nwn mechanics are solid for pvp.
Meanwhile a level 7 wizard can solo an epic level weapon master.
>>
>>50525241
agreed.
>>50525320
yes, pvp is interesting. gm plots can also be good though.

though i disagree that all pvp needs to lead to permadeath. people can (unless you took precautions) be resurrected.

permadeath needs to be possible, but not necessarily the only outcome to pvp.

if you want them to stay dead, hit them with a weapon or ability that will trap their soul on death so their friends can't bring them back.
>>
>>50525334
i quite like level 15-16 nwn.

i would certainly want to keep checks on the power level of the loot, however
>>
>>50525403
>pr and management are bad and you should feel bad.

so, making things to draw in new people, and actually planning and coordinating what is built for the server, are shit foundations ?

not everyone who wants to build for a server (or coordinate the building, ir script, or do webdev, or whatever) will necessarily have any interest in dming.

your argument a shit.
>>
>>50525734
just like not everyone who is interested in dming will have any skill or interest in scripting/levels/coordinating the level design
>>
>>50525403
but, if the rest of the people interested in building a server *would* rather build an server thats hot garbage without any coordination or any interest in trying to find out what people want in order to bring that type of content to the server, then they're welcome to do so.

but if that starts to go sideways and the project starts to me like its going to be shit and everyone else is hellbent on making it shit, i dont see why i would continue to assist in that project rather than dropping it to focus on other projects.

personally, i'd prefer server design that's well coordinated, rather than a bunch of people shoving their own shit togwther without any thought or consideration given to how or why.

but if most agrees with you and you're not just a single loudmouthed twat speaking out of his ass, well, then im out, and i imagine a few others would be, too. if its like half and half, and theres enough of us, maybe we'll go off without you and make a server that doesn't suck and leave you to your scrapyard design.

and that's not cliqueyness, thats just wanting a server that isnt shit, which requires coordination.
>>
>>50525403
>>50525734
>>50525769
>>50525831

OP here, to serve as an example.

im interested in helping coordinate and build the server. interested in scripting and working on any custom hakpaks we need. interested in helping with level design.

but i have little interest (at least in the near future) in gming on the server.

and I've got little interest in developing for a server thats an uncoordinated mess. if thats what's going to be happening ill just work on my own solo projects and go my own way and wish you luck.

as far as im concerned, all the skills and abilities people have brought up as potential ways they can contribute are all very valid, including as a project manager and an module design editor, etc.

if it does turn out half the people want an uncoordinated server and the other half want to coordinate, ill stick with the people working as a team.
>>
>>50525831
>which requires coordination.
This.

There are many, many ways this might fail.
One of the only certain ways to make this project fail, like many /tg/ projects before it, is to have it be devoid of communication, coordination, and accountability.

>>50525403
>natural resentment for each other due to the division of roles.
I'm not saying your scenario is impossible, but clear division of roles is necessary for any project.
If individual A wants to work on something in individual B's area, then A can work under B at B's discretion.
If there is an abuse of power or dickery, there needs to be a simple system of accountability.
Even if it's just a majority vote to kick out B because he never let's anyone else eat cake or whatever.
>>
The reason NWN 2 never really kicked off and everyone went back to NWN 1 was because once you made a module of a sufficiently large size, any subsequent additions had a chance of corrupting the entire module and ruining all your work. Every builder who tried NWN 2 eventually had this happen and went 'nope, fuck this.'

NWN 2 Sigil allegedly managed to find a way to resolve this however. It's a fun server.
>>
I'm playing in Ravenloft and it's a great server, you're just butthurt because you don't like having to RP
>>
>>50526183
i expect their solution was either to backup the server in advance and make small changes between saves, or they started using custom tools.
>>
>>50526183
Nwn1 could do this as well the solution is to keep backups anyone that doesn't is an idiot.
>>
>>50526254
I heard they cut the module up and host it on multiple servers and figured out how to allow you transition from the A server's areas to the B server's areas and vice-versa. Sort of like how Amia works.
>>
>>50526282
Yeah, but the problem is that if you spend 30 minutes+ building a new area or updating an old one and go to save, it can corrupt your work and make you lose that progress, thus you gotta start again. Not surprising most builders went 'fuck this' and went back to NWN 1.
>>
Here is a collection of some of the good custom content nwn servers, with a lot of custom scripting work.
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/zunaths-project-package
>>
>>50526239
trash server arelith is better
>>
There's an existing server with an awesome playerbase, just join that instead.
At least visit our discord.
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/
>>
>>50526319
Too bad your server is shit and full of cliques.
Tried to play there multiple times and 90% of it is getting ignored because you are not in the in crowd.
>>
>>50526319
people have mentioned bad experiences with your server regarding cliquiness or favoritism, with the longtime players, and the server supposedly not being very welcoming to new players.
>>
>>50526319
>>50526352
>>50526345
like this guy for instance
>>
>>50526345
>>50526352
>>50525403

avoiding scenarios like this, is why you want someone for pr. you want to avoid the situation where your server is viewed as hostile or negligent of all new players.
>>
>>50526352
Well, why not trying it? :)
Join us, it's fun. Others might have a bad experience, but I've been there for a year and the RP is fun.
https://discord.gg/Syn4K7q
>>
>>50526307
Reminder that the last time /tg/ talked about NWN at length someone posted it in the Arelith forums because they insulted the server. So players swarmed the threads shit talking each other now that they finally had anonymity.
Your server is full of repressed shitheads.
>>
>>50526396
i tried it a few years back, was largely ignored until i gave up and left.
>>
>>50526409
I'm sorry you had that experience, would you like to try again? ask around on discord, and I'll guide you until you get your bearings if you want!
>>
>>50526428
>>50526396
>>50526319
>>50526239
Absolute trash server, constantly subject to wank fantasies by people who autistically powerlevelled and got DM attention. Avoid at all costs.
>>
>>50526428
perhaps, though this week will be hectic. if i do try it again it wouldnt be until a week from now
>>
>>50526442
I mean if we wanted to we could all join together as a massive blob of tha/tg/uys and work to undermine the establishment.
>>
>>50526441
lol you can't fucking powerlevel on that server, someone not got what he wants i see
poor babby
>>
>>50526442
Whenever you want :p
>>
>>50526478
Why can't you?
>>
>>50526499
When level a character there's a cap on how much xp it can gain, I'm not sure if it's daily or weekly, and if you grind a lot the cap rises and you get less xp. If you don't grind at all the cap lowers and you get more xp for everything you kill.
You can always gain xp through rp though, that's never capped.
>>
>>50526319
Sorry but going to second that you should avoid. DM staff.were chuckleheads, populace was glacial and no death allowed, favoritism rife
>>
>>50526405
You'll find this happens with most servers, give them anonymity and the grievances will come out. I love NWN but it's kind of inevitable
>>
>>50526572
I like it, do what you want.
>>
>>50526540
wow so you have to grind like it's an mmo? lol pass
>>
>>50526599
>existing nwn pws
so, other than the one guy, /tg/ doesnt like how ravenloft is designed/run, yeah?

what about other pws?

someone on the discord was talking about dark sun; i see theres a dark sun pw.

arelith is big; is it good?

any others of note?
>>
>>50526605
You're there to roleplay, not grind :p If you make a "native" you can't grind at all, because they're all ignoramuses that are afraid of the night and its horrors.
>>
>>50526599
Do what you want unless it involves changing the server in any meaningful way because muh stagnant barovia, killing another player because they'll cry for a free res, or going against one of the DM teams favorites. Bluebomber still sucking Shodans dick? Corvus and the swedes still being assholes? NPC still getting their stats changed on the fly so no one can ever ever beat Strahd even though he has mist form and fucking contingency spell anyway? All the high level players still standing around that fucking campfire with the arms crossed emote wearing hoodies?
>>
>>50526605
a pure N xp/30 minutes played might be interesting, but youd need to change how much xp to level to get a more reasonable curve for that.
>>
>>50526641
>:p
>>>/out/
>>
>>50526636
I played on Amia and Arelith, even LoL like 8 years ago, and the adult themed Sinfar that's full of snowflake cyberers with 40 horse dicks, but I like the consistent gothic horror theme of Ravenloft..
>>
>>50526636
I'm going to promo escape from the under dark with the caveat you understand it's brutal, low level, and death is frequent. It's less like playing d&d and more like playing an NPC in a campaign. You do in theory have 360 freedom to do anything but in practice some shit is impossible
>>
>>50526636
Basically every nwn server is a bunch of cliques anymore new blood is basically non existent and most the people on servers have been playing for many many years with each other at this point. The communities are very insular as a result. So if you try any nwn server good luck breaking into one of the groups.
>>
>>50526651
Ravenloft isn't Gothic horror, you go out side at night and you get mobbed by a billion werewolves and all the monster pcs who can't die because no one is allowed to kill each other
>>
>>50526645
I don't know who those are man don't take your bitter out on me. I'm just a dude.
>>
File: Whatever.jpg (743KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Whatever.jpg
743KB, 3072x2304px
>>50526662
NWN3 when?
>>
File: 1466225730042.jpg (33KB, 331x412px) Image search: [Google]
1466225730042.jpg
33KB, 331x412px
To the guy promoting Ravenloft.
Please stop.
From another Ravenloft player.
>>
>>50526645
that sounds really stagnant.

>>50526651
yeah. tried some ravenloft tabletop, couldnt get into the horror theme. a gm ran another horror homebrew one time that i liked, but the group rolled an almost all-divine party (three different clerics builds, a lunar oracle, a paladin, and an alchemist) and we went on a crusade while debating the minutiae of what it is to be good, from the perspective of our respective religions.

but thats not very ravenloft at all.
>>
>>50526676
Ravenloft players probably afraid of what would happen if a bunch of real niggas turn up like when that cult of Zarus group rolled in and started bullying everyone
>>
>>50526685
>that sounds really stagnant
Ravenloft to a t
>>
>>50526674
nwn3 never.

nwn3 was the neverwinter mmo.

bioware doesnt have any of the people who made nwn.
>>
>>50526694
Nah do that, that'll be fun.
I just want this guy to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>50526654
Escape from Uncertainty, at least I think that is the current name of it last time I checked, is another very clique server, you have the people that have been there ten plus years, that apparently have knowledge they can't share with people because in ten plus years it is still relevant to plot, you have the grim derp storyline of all the gods dying because some pcs did something that is actually impossible in the lore of the setting, and it is really hard to break into the groups on the server I joined when it first went up with the latest iteration and almost everyone was new but I never got responses from interacting with people, and I had a full time job so I leveled slower then a lot of others, so once I fell behind the level cap I could not level because that server is about as hard core anti solo play as you can be.
>>50526674
Never because the mmo exists and also Atari lost its license when it sold itself to Mattel because it was a violation of their contract with Hasbro which is why nwn was in legal limbo for so long in regards to selling it.
>>
>>50526662
so, better to ignore the advice of "join us itll be fun" and get on board with making this /tg/ server then?

id think it worthwhile to avoid that kind of inbreeding with a new server, and try to continue to bring in new people to mix things up.
>>
File: 1455333700613.png (589KB, 882x934px) Image search: [Google]
1455333700613.png
589KB, 882x934px
>>50526662
>See this posted all the time
>Try an rp server out anyway
>Leave starting area, see a group of players.
>Immediately start roleplaying with me and make me feel welcome.
I guess I have good luck?
>>
>>50526745
Which server?
>>
>>50526729
As someone fond of efu who played there for years that assessment is fair. It's still the least shitty of all the servers I ever played on. I was actually along for the ride when those pcs released Dendar, didn't know it was lore impossible.

But I was in the same boat as you schedule changes and I just didn't have the time and nobody around to play with
>>
>>50526756
Ravenloft
>>
>>50526729
>that wall of clusterfuck.
its funny just how much these dynamics match what bad LARPs are like.

the good larps minimize the barrier to entry for ingame knowledge in many ways as much as possible (typically by updating the game wiki constantly) and have a fairly short turnaround time before a new player reaches max level (or in games with no max level, how quickly they catch up to the top powered pcs). also, good economy controls.
>>
>>50526732
That'd be your best bet. Pretty much every RP-focused server has communities that deny newcomers and require you to grind xp for hours on end to get anywhere.
>>
>>50526745
The people on various servers are actually quite thirsty for new blood the hard part is not getting swept up in clique drama
>>
>>50526760
From what I recall they used an above ninth level spell to do it, which is not possible due to the rules of the weave being rewritten after mystrals death.
>>
>>50526778
That was explained away though, mystra was dead "again" at the time and the red star aka mystryl resurrected by the conclave, who were unwitting sacrificial pawns in some ancient netherese vampires plans

Basically the entire plot since efu a has been one long just as planned by Barakat
>>
>>50526778
Forgot to tack on, the version before that one, also had that bullshit mist mechanic, god that was awful.
>>
>>50526798
I liked the mist,.it was handy for teleports. Do you mean the withering?
>>
>>50526797
That is not how divinity even works in the realms, also Mystral would have been powerless after being resurrected due to the limitations placed on the office in her time away making her power directly proportional to her amount of worshipers, she would have been a lesser deity at best, most likely demigod power if anything divine at all, hell she may have gone immediately into a coma due to lack of worshipers, and this would make her easy prey for someone like Shar who would love to steal the magic domain.
The plot is pure wankery.
>>
>>50526805
Yeah withering wasn't that related to the mists? That is how it was explained to me at least, I just hated most of all how it would kill you and there was apparently no feedback for it.
>>
>>50526818
The conclave carefully cultivated mystryl worship and sacrificed unborn children all over the planet to power her

I do agree however that Ao would have stepped in at some fucking point and said "nah" and disintegrated Barakat

Let's not forget the conclave killed.Eliminster because of vague undefined magic prep by the oracle
>>
>>50526834
>killing Elminster
I see nothing wrong with doing that.
>>
>>50526834
Like I said the whole plot was pure wankery, it was a dm getting their special snowflake plot that completely alters the foundation of the setting because they want to be hardcore and cool.
>>
>>50526846
Elminster should never be used honestly, he is broken as fuck, mostly because he is nearly impossible to kill with all his bullshit, he is greenwoods self insert for gods sake.
>>
>>50526732
Join us it'll be fun
What do you have to lose?
>>
>>50526855
>he is greenwoods self insert for gods sake
That's why there's nothing wrong with killing him.
>>
>>50526860
Time.
>>
>>50526860
Time, for one.
>>
>>50526868
>>50526874
Your browsing time makes it clear that you've not time to spend trying /tg/-related things.
>>
>>50526834
nothing says mature story like evil wizards casting abortion rituals all over the world
>>
>>50526899
Fine.
Effort.
>>
>>50526911
hahahahaha
>>
>>50526864
The problem is how
>>
>>50526860
Hard drive space to your shitty haks.
>>
>>50526946
DM fiat, because NPC stats are only suggestions?
>>
>>50527175
if thats not the elminster you killed , then it wasnt elminster
>>
>>50526745
Just wait until you become more than the little baby on the block trying to adjust. When you start trying to dig yourself a little niche instead of being a dungeon delving whore, you'll feel the cancer.
>>
NWN is shit anyway.
Playe real rpg, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age
>>
>>50529166
kill yourself seriously
>>
>>50529336
>2016
>playing games with worse graphics than undertale

I know it was free, but damn, there should be limits
>>
>>50529406
>>50529166
>>playing games with worse graphics than undertale
>>Playe real rpg, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age
You mean, play a real game like Dwarf Fortress with no mods, amirite?
>>
>>50529469
DF isnt really RPG, but its great game, I cant argue with it
>>
>Consider getting back into Arelith
>Remember half of the community is now literally made of neonazis
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>50530956
ibthink most of us have no idea whatvhappened, anon. storytime?
>>
>>50530956
I swear, if this is a Trump overreaction...
>>
>>50531378
Not much of a story. I've been away for a long time, tried to log into the old IRC channel to see if anyone was around, saw it was down and asked what happened to it. People told me there's a Discord now. I hopped on. Half of the people had names like "Gas the kikes race war now" and "Ben Garrison was right", and were extremely busy calling one another niggers. I logged off.

I used to think jj and Mithreas were mental. It turned out that they were just protecting us from the evil within. The Stasi was for our benefit all along. Press F to pay respect.
>>
>>50526760
I played it for a bit early summer or so. I recall some of the veterans all but baying for the blood of the newbie and wanting "reactive" people to leave.
>>
>>50531773
What does that even mean?
>>
>>50532007
On EFU, players who do not proactively try to do interesting things are labeled 'reactive'. The label is most often applied to adventurers who do nothing but run static quests or hub village people who just wait for villains to do things for them to react to
>>
>>50532317
so they want a player driven plot, but have done a poor job in building their game to facilitate a player driven plot?
>>
>>50531642
Former Arelith player here. All I can say is "wut". Part of me is inclined to believe it's just Discord chats being Discord chats though. You can't tell how many people actually even play the game in there and how many are just there to shitpost.

As for jj and Mithreas being mental. jj was always a cool guy. I even met him for realsies once. Mithreas was the nutjob and jj just sort of abdicated the server to him and his turbo autism after awhile.
>>
>>50532546
Please tell me about the encounter.
>>
File: Oh Well.png (5KB, 601x695px) Image search: [Google]
Oh Well.png
5KB, 601x695px
>>50532546
I was a heavy player from 2004-2009 or so and really dropped off permanently in 2010, but I made a few friends on the server that I've stuck with, some of whom happened to live in Tennessee. Through pure fate they ended up in a college class with Artos who caught them playing it on a laptop in the back of said class. Artos introduced them to jj, so I knew they were in regular contact with him long before I quit the server but I never used it as an avenue to get to know the devs or anything. I had my own misgivings about jj and the devs around that time and so I was slowly weening myself off the game.

Anyway, by pure chance my job shipped me across the country in 2011 for some training and I drove the distance, stopping along the way in Tennessee to visit my till-then internet-only friends IRL. On the way back I did so again, but as I was approaching them they informed me they were randomly hanging out with jj at his place and gave me an address, so I went there. I ended up reinstalling NWN on my laptop and running through some dungeons with my friend, jj, and his wife while sitting in his living room and eating dinner with him. After that evening I understood a lot more of jj's design philosophy for the server. I didn't agree with a lot of it but I understood it. He's a sane and rational man with a very level head and I'd trust him with my car keys.

I think that was actually the last time I ever played Arelith. Kinda makes me nostalgic now.
>>
>>50532689
Woops, meant to reply to you with >>50532949
but I hit the wrong post.
>>
>>50532949
That's really cool. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>50532529
This is honestly pretty right on the money- and there is a huge tendency among the DMs and players to blame the "reactive" players as the cause of the server not going anywhere, when the reality is that these players are reactive because the server and the setting design as a whole encourages them to be reactive, because they get smacked down or told "no" whenever they try to do anything.
>>
I have had my experience in nwn from the early days of 2001 and up. Hosted my own custom worlds/content and gmed/played in many. I have am currently in a heavy nwn 1 module works as the moment with my buddy who is scripter but things are going slow since it is a 2 man project.

I played and gmed in - Andrune, Immersea, Realms of Eternity, Red Mesa,

games I hosted and gmed - LoZ *many types*, Zel Dracht, Talithia, Realms of Samoria,

As for being a pure player- I have played in way too many modules. Cannot think of them all atop of my head.

I have in the past dabbled allot in module making with past servers as well as music files and or haks/overides *overides are the best choice as it can be a optional download.

As for discord my discord is Simbo#7566

I would be highly interested to help out in any tg nwn style setting in any way. Even if it means to just be a player as a body.
>>
>>50526674
>Game with a toolset that lets users make new, free content relatively quickly and easily
>Being released by the current gaming industry
Never.
>>
>>50526823
There was plenty of feedback for it. A lot of your complaints are off-base and kind of autistic (being upset that the god-awful Faerun vanilla setting was changed to something better is just lol-tier)

Forgotten Realms is a melting pot of settings that ends up completely awful in execution, so any deviation from the norm is A+
>>
>>50526905
It was in homage to R. Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" and the birth of the No-God. A literary reference that shits all over the fairly facile FR canon. EfU has real problems, but deviations from canon and shitting on dull reactive players aren't even close to the mark.
>>
>>50527500
You are the epitome of why 3.5e and derivatives are awful. DnD is meant to be more free-form than canon stat blocks and author insert wankery.
>>
>>50533951
It isn't actually on the money. The emphasis of EfU (and where the meat of the storytelling is) is conflict between PCs. Reactive people are shit on because they reduce the server to a PvE questathon with no substance or dynamism to it. It's not really a server about defeating big cliche evils, it's about genuine collaborative storytelling in a fairly dark fantasy setting. Debates, arguments, duels, and drama between players driven by players and facilitated by the setting are objectively more interesting than killing red-tinged NPCs in a 10 year old video game.
>>
>>50536681
No it wasn't you fucking moron.
>>
>Arelith
>Good

I mean I guess if you have down's syndrome it's pretty good.
>>
>>50529152
You're a banned player aren't you?
Who hurt you?
>>
>>50536694
then use original characters.

>i killed superman without kryptonite
>what about all of his powers
>the gm didnt guve him his powers. theyre just a suggestion.
>>
>>50537013
Elminster is not worthy of canon, and should be lampooned whenever possible. Sort of like Drizz't.
>>
File: Dragon Aaaaah.png (23KB, 230x227px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Aaaaah.png
23KB, 230x227px
>>50507371
>Words words words
>published setting
>homebrew
>Demi plane

OP. Half the people won't know jack or care because they are coming off of /vg/

The remaining half of that will not join because you are putting too much "Thought" into something that is just suppose to be for shits.

The remaining half, won't care, because they just want to jump into a world

The final remaining half of that will dislike which ever option you pick, but show up anyway because they did want to play.

That leaves you with a remaining 12% that give a shit. And I have my opinion, which I know isn't popular and isn't even on your list.

Long and short: Just build a play pen to YOUR liking. It only matters in the fact that it does not matter.
>>
>>50536661
>kind of autistic (being upset that the god-awful Faerun vanilla setting was changed to something better is just lol-tier)
Grim derp is not better when you are converting from a high fantasy setting.
If you want to make fearun 'better' by grim derping it up make your own setting.
Also you completely missed the feedback part which was the game had no information to tell you how close you were to dying to corruption or how badly it was effecting you, a completely hidden mechanic that kills you is stupid.
Now go back to your grim derp baby slaughter setting because it is edgy and cool.
>>
>>50537201
I would say do a demiplane that grabs people from all settings, think Ravenloft but less grim.
That way you can have the melding plot of settings and still keep it fantasy feeling.
>>
>>50537201
>half
>half
>half
>12%
172% total?
>>
>>50537800
Not that anon, but:

>>50537201
>Half
50%
>The remaining half of that won't join
25% removed
>The remaining half, won't care
25% remaining
>The final remaining half of that
12.5%
Rounded to 12%
Dong ma?
>>
>>50537354
It's not really "grim derp" just because bad things happen to characters. It's called telling an actual story with meaning and risk and pathos.

Also the withering could be read exactly through a player tool, and reversed with a simple casting of "remove curse". You could tell how bad it was getting by the depth of glow, symptons, etc. You could also examine click yourself and see your exactly withering counter in numerical form lol.

You don't know what edgy means, you don't know anything about the mechanic you're complaining about, and you can't communicate beyond memes. You know this is an 18+ board right?
>>
>>50537354
>All of this bullshit

Let me guess, you like consent based roleplaying, campfire side chats, and ERP right?
>>
>>50537354
Sure, let's just make another generic high fantasy PW that lets nothing ever happen and we just sit around campfires talking about our ((((problems)))) and show how edgy / interesting our characters are to each other.

I'm sure that won't get old fast
>>
>>50538683
>It's not really "grim derp" just because bad things happen to characters.
No it's grim derp because the entire surface was rendered uninhabitable due to bullshit plot from a gm wanting to wank over how clever he is, most the gods were killed off because why not, these things were done without anything to enrich the setting as a whole.
>>50538709
No actually I like fantasy roleplaying with a consistent theme with its setting, why the fuck would I play forgotten realms to experience a sad depressing world where everything is dieing because the gm wants to make the world dark and grim.
If I wanted to play that kind of a game I would play a setting or make a setting that is within that theme.
The entire thing ignores large chunks of the setting to which it is derivative, such as Ao being an absolute prick to people who meddle with his sandbox in ways he doesn't approve of, the requiring of deities to have followers to have any power, hell the fact some of the slain gods did not grant spells was also counter to established setting canon as a gods corpse can grant spells well it rests in the astral graveyard.
>>
>>50537201
>coming from v.
we're building it for /tg/, not /v/. theyre not the target audience. if they have fun, great, but theyre not the target audience.

>just want shits & giggles hack n slash.
theres a bunch of those already. if thats what we wanted we'd just play one, or just host the diablo server for a bunch of buddies, or figure out how to do multiplayer infinite dungeons. again, not the target demographic at all.

>just want to jump into the world
well, that may well be doable. we haven't settled on a world yet, and it may be it's own self contained thing. we shall see.

>dislike what we make.
theyre welcome to go to one of the other servers if they do.

>the people remaining arevthe target audience
obviously yes.

>just build what you like it doesnt matter.
theres more than one person doing the building. if we're to only listen to one of us, who should it be, me because I made the discord and the signup sheet and this thread?

if a dozen, or even 4 of us are working on this thing, should we not get input from the people involved?
>>
>>50538992
>>50538916
>>50538709
>>50538683
>>50537354
out of curiosity, what do any of these things have to do with the /tg/ server?
>>
>>50537511
I'm not so convinced.

I'd say either it should be its own self contained thing, or it should be attached to a single setting; not dozens of them.

that sounds like it would make a sloppy mess.
>>
>>50538709
Whats wrong with campfire chat?
>>
>>50539153
>I'd say either it should be its own self contained thing, or it should be attached to a single setting; not dozens of them.
The issue with a self contained thing is people are not going to want to learn the lore and will default to fearun shit because that is what nwn is set in and that is what they know, it can work it just is difficult.
The other option would be to use Fearun but set it somewhere that is not often used like Matzica which I don't think has had an actual published book since second edition but I could be wrong.
>>
>>50538992
>No it's grim derp because the entire surface was rendered uninhabitable due to bullshit plot from a gm wanting to wank over how clever he is, most the gods were killed off because why not, these things were done without anything to enrich the setting as a whole.

The surface was rendered uninhabitable by a plot that was telegraphed for literally 5 years, that was the culmination of hundreds of players and events over that time period. It was hardly a gm "wanking over how clever he was". Do you genuinely think things like Loviatar or Mystra dying are somehow bad? Concepts like Ao, a god that literally talks to the DM, are completely retarded and shouldn't exist.
>>
>>50539177
Everything. Everything is wrong with campfire chat.
>>
>>50539177
Nothing in a vacuum, but everything in a PW. Campfire chat is cool in small doses, but telling the story of adventurer's camping trip day in and day out is hardly compelling.
>>
>>50539177
>Bad Wrong Fun
>>
>>50539182
so you give the a quick 2 minute cutscene intro which highlights in bold text "this is not faerun, or greyhawk, or eberron, or datk sun, or ravenloft, this is__name__, and a couple short pamphlet books about the aspects of the setting right in the players starting gear. works fine for minecraft rp servers.

if instead we (devs) decide to go faerun, then just go faerun.
>>
>>50539475
>if instead we (devs) decide to go faerun, then just go faerun.
You sound like the normal arrogant prick that heads up nwn projects, congrats you already fit the part.
>>
>>50539608
>having an opinion is bad, as is the notion of the people designing a game picking a setting rather than allowing all character concepts from everywhere even if nothing fits together.

If I'm going to put in the effort to run/build/design a game, either by myself or as part of a team, yes ill want something coordinated and planned, rather than no effort crap.

if you just want to kill shit without getting involved in the actual game, well, maybe you should build/join/host a hack n slash server.
>>
>>50539608
>devs having more say in the core premises of worldbuilding than potential players is baaaaad!
the players are neither putting in the work to build it, not paying for it to be built. seems reasonable the devs will have their own expectations and views. if you're going to be a killjoy for everything theyre interested in, why would they build anything at all?
>>
>>50539608
>passive aggressive bitchy entitlement
>>
>>50539608
People like this guy are what makes public projects (like anything tg does as a group) such a pain in the ass, and serve as a reminder for why people rather stick to 1-man projects, or do all their work with a team in private, and just post it elsewhere (to avoid the no shilling rule on tg), and ignore tg as a demographic entirely, or (poorly) try to shill it covertly after its done.
>>
>>50539475
Short pamphlet books are good, but two minute intro cutscenes get old pretty quick.
And depending on what kind of cutscene it is makes it impossible for more than one player to start at once.
>>
Ded thread.
Looks like nobody is interested.
Abandon
>>
>>50542699
Or it's Monday.

I have to sleep now, I'm honestly interested in this, and although I have a fair idea of what sort of activities won't get anything done, I have no idea what the steps would be are or how we would outline it.
If we were to do this thing, what would be the first logical steps to take?
I mean, besides fruitlessly argue over settings and servers we don't want?
>>
>>50543087
The majority of planning has been taking place on the discord linked in the OP.

If you'd like to help us make this happen, head over there and let us know.
>>
>>50545634
Ah.
The thread may be dead, but progress is not.
Party on.
Thread posts: 264
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.