[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many hit points does the Earth have?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: newtons-thiird-law-of-motion.jpg (10KB, 339x312px) Image search: [Google]
newtons-thiird-law-of-motion.jpg
10KB, 339x312px
Because, if I take falling damage, Newton's Third Law dictates that the Earth should also take an equal amount of falling damage.
>>
>>50506425
The earth is a plot device, not a creature/object. It doesn't have HP.
>>
>>50506425
Pretty sure there's a screencap of a thread where the Earth's HP was calculated a few years back. It was well past the millions I'm sure.
>>
>>50506425
Earth has insane DR to blunt attacks, your bouncing corpse probably doesnt beat it.
>>
>>50506497
a better question would be what happen if the earth takes enough non-lethal damage to knock it unconscious?
>>
>>50506609
the gooey centre goes out cold
>>
>>50506425
Go find a giant boulder. Punch it really hard, as hard as you can. You probably have broken bones now. That means the boulder is also broken.

resistances apply you moron
>>
In GURPS at least, planet earth has about 2 billion HP (a bit under, technically) based on mass, and 5 million DR based on average thickness of the Earth's crust (assuming stone of the same density through and through, for simplicity's sake). It also has Injury Tolerance (Homogenous). You would have to crash something quite large into it to do any "real" damage.

Not sure about D&D but I'm sure it's similarly insane.
>>
>>50506445
fpbp
>>
>>50506750
Nah, that just means the boulder has more hit points than my hand.
And if I broke off any part of the boulder, I suppose that would mean I did enough damage to overcome its DR.

Although this raises another question: should weapons take damage each time they hit?
>>
>>50506806
Theoretically, but in practice it's annoying as fuck to keep track of and just fucks with the melee characters.
>>
>>50506781
Does GURPS have rules for nukes or planet-busters? Or starship ramming?

What am I asking? Of course it does.
>>
>>50506855
Yep, though most GURPS GMs treat the above as plot devices, same as most.
But sometimes you just really wanna hit something with a spaceship loaded full of antimatter warheads.
>>
>>50506425
>not disintegrating it one 5ft square at a time
>>
>>50506425
Earth has HP / inch of material, but it also has damage reduction.

You take 1d6 damage per 10 feet fallen. That damage is equally issued to the ground that you impact on...

So let's say you fall onto a stone cave floor. Stone has a hardness of 8 and 15 hp per inch of thickness. imn this case, because it's "the ground" you can just have it be stone all the way through.

You would need to hit the floor from a height of 90 feet to guarantee that you overcome it's hardness, so you plummet from 100 feet, and hit the ground, dealing... let's say maximum damage: 60 points.

The first inch of stone's hardness reduces that damage by 8, leaving you with 52 damage. This easily bypasses the first inch of stone's 15 HP, leaving us with 37 damage.

because hardness has already been overcome, we continue applying damage: the second inch also has 15 HP, which our falling damage overcame, destroying that inch of stone as well, and reducing our overflowing damage to 22.

The third inch is very much like the second: just deduct damage from the total remaining, and see that it too has been shattered by your fall, leaving us with 7 HP

The fourth inch, however, has 15 HP, and we are only inflicting 7 more damage: it remains intact.

So, there you go: from maximum fall damage, you leave about a 3" deep crater of broken rock in a stone floor.

Your body leaves a
>>
>>50507279
Well shoot, as long as we're going that far, lets use proper acceleration due to gravity as well.
So 10 ft is 1d6.
20 is 3d6.
30 is 6d6.
And so on.

We could get a crater almost a foot deep that way. With enough healers and res spells, we could go even deeper.
>>
>>50507374
Thing is: you asked for D&D rules on this matter: i gave them to you. There's no acceleration due to gravity in D&D because physics don't work well narratively, even on narratively weak games like D&D.
>>
File: OrkBoy1.jpg (14KB, 250x358px) Image search: [Google]
OrkBoy1.jpg
14KB, 250x358px
>>50506604
So we'll stab it to death
>>
>>50507447
I just asked in general, wondering about different ways to handle Newton's Third Law in TTRPGs.

And applying physics may not work well narratively, but it is fun.
>>
>>50506425
Unfortunately, air resistance dictates that your falling damage can generally only be so high. So, not appreciable on a planetary scale.
>>
File: IMG_1959.jpg (190KB, 640x1021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1959.jpg
190KB, 640x1021px
>>50506425
We already had this thread.
>>
>>50506609
The Earth doesn't have a consciousness, that we know of anyway.
>>
>>50506445
Yes it does.

But the force of gravity provide mass regeneration to it.
>>
>>50507279
Anon, this is why you don't try to make a post that long while falling down a clif
>>
>>50507643
So we need to kill the atmosphere first?
>>
>>50507668
Wrong.
Doesn't even take into account varying density of core/mantle/crust.
>>
>>50507535
Needs additional creativity, if you stab or "dig" the earth, the material has to go somewhere, i.e. the earth. Earth regenerates.
>>
>>50507279
Problem with the crater part is that unfortunately a body is a poor weapon to use on stone and thus is fairly ineffective in damaging it. Thus we divide its damage in half when falling on stone.

And all of this is actually not the way you calculate the damage that happens upon a stone floor from your body falling on it anyway as falling object damage works differently from damage received from falling.

You fall from over 30 feet up.
As a medium object you deal 3d6 damage halved due not being a dense, heavy object.
We'll round it up to 2d6.
Thus you deal a max of 12 damage to the rock and slightly fracture the first layer in a five foot area.
Now if you fell from over a 150 feet, you would deal 4d6, dealing a max of 24 damage, breaking the first inch of rock and beginning to damage the second.
You leave a slight crater and are more than likely dead unless you're a barbarian.
Oh, and that wizard who thought he could save his life to teleport down to the ground from his near earth orbit space station after he accidentally fell over a rail makes a nice splat since momentum is conserved through teleports, and makes a fine crater too.
>>
>>50506425
>10^60

I worked it out awhile back going by the Hit Points of a block of stone. Multiplied by the total square footage volume of the planet.

>>50507985
>Doesn't account for the density of the core

Neither does D&D. Boiling hot magma is still considered 'stone' by the rules.

You could argue that the core should be treated as iron however
>>
If anyone has the Neutronium Golem pic saved, it has the HP for "an earth sized planet".
>>
File: neutroniumgolem.png (2MB, 1024x918px) Image search: [Google]
neutroniumgolem.png
2MB, 1024x918px
>>50508544
>>
>>50506609
>>50507685
>The Earth is actually a giant elemental kept unconscious by minimal but constant non-lethal damage of billions of people walking all over it (among other shit).
>>
>>50507728
Underrated
>>
>>50506425
Even if you slice the Earth in half it will reconstitute itself due to gravity.
>>
>>50506609
The earth is an amalgam of things, thus is not subject to nonlethal damage. I mean, you can't knock out a Man O' War.
>>
>>50507279
There are specific rules for falling objects.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm
>>
>>50508678
That doesn't seem right at all, but it begs the question.

Assuming the earth had no mantle, what would its HP be then as an object?
>>
>>50509010
Oh shit, that could make an excellent game setting!

Think about it, the BBEG wants to cast a spell that puts everyone/thing in the world to sleep for a few days.. that's all.

Imagine the player's confusion at such a strange plan for someone who wants to destroy the world to have... until they find out why it wants to put everyone to sleep.
>>
>>50506425
Casual reminder that you're mostly a liquid, so much of your mass will be dispersed over a large area on impact, reducing the amount of force generated at point of impact.
>>
>>50509876
So we require a warforged?
>>
>>50506425
It has ridiculous Hardness.
>>
>>50508678

Is that thing actually immune to fire?
>>
>>50506609
Earth is an inanimate object, you can't knock out a sword so you can't knock out earth
>>
>>50508169
catapult it into space
>>
>>50506445
>The earth is a plot device
Its a rpg not a book
>>
>>50511711
No. Just a non-descript immunity to magic.

>>50512029
>le tricky bait me-me, get your laughs at 4chan!
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.