[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraftian character archetypes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: SchneiderzeitungOct62_010.jpg (195KB, 660x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SchneiderzeitungOct62_010.jpg
195KB, 660x1000px
What are the classic characters in cosmic horror stories? I can think of journalists, academics, artists, writers and private investigators. Any that I've missed?

I'm going to be joining a Cthulhu/Lovecraft vibe set in 1970s England, and I'm trying to come up with some ideas.
>>
>>50503234
>Any that I've missed?
Gangsters. Occultists.

>>50503234
>Cthulhu/Lovecraft vibe set in 1970s England
I don't think that's gonna work. European 70's had their own horrors that would not mix well with mythos.
>>
>>50503234
the ones you need to add are grizzled merc (better combat than the investigators but les investigative) and drunken hobo who is borderline insane, but has seen more shit go down than any of the others combined.
>>
antiquarians
>>
File: 2471659.main_image.jpg (227KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2471659.main_image.jpg
227KB, 1000x1500px
>>50503289
>I don't think that's gonna work. European 70's had their own horrors that would not mix well with mythos.

This is an interesting point.
So far I'm thinking that the following are potential cultural links to the beyond:
- Recent soldiers who 'saw stuff' in Vietnam
- Veterans who 'saw stuff' in WW2
- Burned out hippies
- The Cold War: Secret research
- The Cold War: Psychic sense of the apocalypse
- The Cold War: Tight-lipped government and conspiracy
- Collapse of British colonies
- A feeling by some that traditional, staunch moral certainty and absolutes are being abandoned?

Suggestions and advice welcomed.
>>
The Asylum Psychologist.
>>
>>50503234
archeologist
>>
Backwoods hicks, more or less inbred.
>>
>>50503714
The cold war stuff makes some sense. None of the other stuff does. Why would Euros care about Vietnam?

What about tentacled horrors in the North Sea and remote Scottish islands? Or perhaps a coal mine that dug just a little too deep. A few years too early for the miner strikes but nothing's perfect
>>
>>50503234
Bored aristocracy
>>
File: Quatermass-6.jpg (65KB, 615x335px) Image search: [Google]
Quatermass-6.jpg
65KB, 615x335px
>>50503776
>Why would Euros care about Vietnam?

Well, I was imagining somebody who had been to 'deepest, darkest Vietnam' and seen something in the jungles, Heart of Darkness style. But yes, that could seem out of place. It's going to be set in 1970, so it's the tail-end of the 1960s, really.
>>
>>50503714
Nuclear weaponry can easily be called a flaming sword that turns in all directions, for whatever it's worth
>>
File: belfast-troubles-2.jpg (77KB, 840x450px) Image search: [Google]
belfast-troubles-2.jpg
77KB, 840x450px
OP here: Full disclosure: This is a game of De Profundis : letter-writing between players as their characters slowly building up psychological tension around a shared dream.
>>
>>50504024
And so far my main inspiration is the October 1969 release of The Court of the Crimson King, which hasa strong 'King in Yellow' link.
Song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4
Lyrics here: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/king+crimson/the+court+of+the+crimson+king_20078591.html
>>
>>50504077
Still crazy to think that album came out in the 60s
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.