[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welp, this was bleak. Other 40k novels at least had moments of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 43

File: Dead-Men-Walking.jpg (123KB, 650x822px) Image search: [Google]
Dead-Men-Walking.jpg
123KB, 650x822px
Welp, this was bleak. Other 40k novels at least had moments of emotional gratification in the form of last stands and self-sacrifice that actually paid off. This just drained all the joy from me, even though it seemed to be the entire point.
>>
Somebody kindly post "how to roleplay a Krieger" screencap to help this man plunge even deeper into his depression.
>>
File: krieg.png (590KB, 1319x3251px) Image search: [Google]
krieg.png
590KB, 1319x3251px
>>50499799
The Emperor Protects, this Guardsman serves.
>>
>>50499747
>>
>>50499747

Loved that book it was good reference and inspirational material for the project I'm wokong on. Take a look at the vignette "down among the dead" I think it was.
>>
>>50499815
Fuck me that ending made me sad.
>>
File: Krieg_Execution.jpg (172KB, 1132x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Krieg_Execution.jpg
172KB, 1132x1600px
>>50499977
Good. They're a tragic army to play.
>>
>>50499815

That well and truly ruined the rest of my day. I wish I could actually join the Kriegers to rid myself of these feelings of emptiness.
>>
>>50499747
Welcome to 40k, newfag!

It only gets worse (and more spess mariney), the longer you play.
>>
>>50500058

You can go further. Get into the 40k general and download the vignette.little taste of life on krieg. That shit is truly depressing.
>>
File: IMG_1774.jpg (30KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1774.jpg
30KB, 250x323px
I Don't get why you people get so damn sappy about the Kriegers. I mean, Yes. They're (figuratively) soulless robots. Your point.

Yes, in Theory, it does suck that people are getting mindbroken into killing machines, but in practice, who does it actually suck for? Them? Nothing's Tragic for them, they don't care anymore, that's the benefit of not having emotion. Us? Not even close, because every Krieger that dies "Heroically" doing his duty is one less man who has actual feelings and a life to go back to dead.

It would be understandable if there were some glimmer of a person left in there or a chance of being turned into a relatively normal person, but there isn't. Kriegers are unfixable, irredeemable, and the only thing they're good for is Cannon fodder and they know this. That's actually one of the reasons I like working with them.
>>
>>50500268

They actually do have emotions though, they are just extremely suppressed. The novel illustrates a few moments where cracks in their facade start to show and a character expresses it quite well. They are not inhuman just dehumanized.
>>
>>50499747
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Love_and_Krieg
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Love_and_Krieg_Spinoffs

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Gav_and_Bob

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kharn
>>
>>50500509
>Linking to Love and Krieg
Love Krieg was just typically shy grill waifu faggotry with a krieger masked slapped on.
>>
>>50499747
I loved it because of how crushingly depressing it was. I was depressed for two solid days after reading Dead Mem Walking.

The fact that it had that much of an emotional hold on me for that long made it an excellent book in my eyes.
>>
>>50499815
>"It was disgustingly flavourful."
Oh Kriegers.
>>
File: Meanwhile, on Krieg.jpg (228KB, 3500x1750px) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile, on Krieg.jpg
228KB, 3500x1750px
>>50500566
I enjoyed it. I must have shit taste. I don't care.
>>
File: KriegGren.jpg (171KB, 535x933px) Image search: [Google]
KriegGren.jpg
171KB, 535x933px
>>50500566
True.

But Terranis Stands. Forever.
Every time I think that phrase U get shivers. Says a lot about how much it struck me.
>>
>>50500897

Thats actually a pretty reasonable statement. I spent three years of my live bouncing between Taiwan and Korea. I met a lot of people from vietnam and japan while i was over there as well, and one of the things i learned is that they all do food very differently. If you ask a Korean about japanese food they will say it is bland. The japs i spoke to all agreed korean food was always to salty, spicy, or sweet. Koreans think Chinese food is greasy. The chinese think korean food is ok, but kinda off. They all have different palates. The idea that a Krieger raised on mre's and shit on his crapsack homeworld would have difficulty stomaching someone else's food is quite reasonable. Its like the first time i gave my buddy kimchi jigea. He spent eight hours the next day on the toilet. It was just meat and veggies same as a soup over here, they were just prepared differently and the spices did not agree with him at all.
>>
>>50499747
This is the best BL book I've read so far. Not only does it manage to accurately capture the grimdarkness and hopelessness of 40k without going full grimderp, it does an excellent job exploring the themes of war and the dehumanizing effects it has on people. You could take all the 40k stuff out of the book and it would still be outstanding.
>>
What a coincidence, my Dad mailed this novel to me just today. Remind me, /tg/, why are the Kriegers treated as disposable soldiers?
>>
>>50503899
Because they're guardsmen. They're all expendable.
>>
>>50503899

Because they are cloned in their millions and millions a year and shipped all over the Empire.
>>
>>50503899
Their ancestors declared independence from the Imperium, which led to a 500-year-long civil war which was fought in a manner like World War 1, but with nukes. During this war, their society became ruthlessly utilitarian out of necessity. Combine that with a maniacal devotion to the Imperial Creed and the need to atone for their ancestor's sins and you get the Death Korps.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg
>>
>>50503899
Penance for failing in their duty.
>>
>>50503899
Everyone in the guard is. The only difference is that Kriegers accepted this fate without question.
>>
File: 1295656054691.png (147KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
1295656054691.png
147KB, 324x324px
>>50503995
>Because they are cloned
>>
>>50500566
>>50501218
>>50501534
Didn't someone in a Tau thread wanted to write a reboot of Love and Krieg that was more loyal to the fluff? I liked some of his/her ideas.
>>
>>50504073

Whats up. Still here actually, and still working on it. First thread should be up some time next week.
>>
>>50499815
>One of your squad members asked you about Krieg.
>You told her.
>She did not ask you again. The squad members did not continue talking.
Perfect, truly perfect.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4XfQeuXZk
>>
>>50499747
I loved Last Chancers years ago but hated that novel with the Desert Guardsmen fighting Tyranids, can't even remember the name. How does this hold up compared to those two?
>>
>>50504455
Much much better.

Dead Men Walking was the book that made me like the krieggers.

There's a passage where they find out if you shoot the necrons with melta guns they don't come back. So they arm grenadier batallions with several meltas and everytime a man with a melta is shot by a gauss flayer he immediately throws the gun away so that it's not flayed along with him. Another guy picks it up and continues shooting.
>>
>>50504530
May pick it up tomorrow then. Thanks anon. I started to develop a soft spot for the guard but I hate Imperials fighting non xenos in novels. This sounds grand though.
>>
>>50504530

I really liked that book.

I liked the moment where the grenadier loads the truck with mining explosives, takes the box with his squad mates bones with him so they can share in the glory and kamikaze's the power plant.
>>
>>50499815
Jesus christ.
>>
>>50504073

If you'd like you can get a bit of a preview, a snippet of the beginning.
>>
File: IMG_1760.gif (359KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1760.gif
359KB, 500x286px
>>50504828
>>
SERVANTS OF THE GOD EMPEROR! HIS HUMBLE FAITHFUL REQUIERS YOUR ASSISTANCE !

I cannot find a working epub of this book anywhere. Only broken ones or 16 pages sample. Help anyone?
>>
>>50504967

go to the 40k general.
>>
>>50499815
so wait lol is this story about some chick trying to get banged by a krieger?
>>
>>50504574
You'll love Baneblade then. It's about tankers but still very humane and orks are actually scary in it. A great book.
>>
>>50505180
The last post is a side story about how our krieger's squadmates decided a good lay might lighten him up a bit and took him for a night on the town.

Their strategy seems to have failed.
>>
>>50500108
Can't find it in the Black Library mega. Where is it?
>>
>>50505180
Nope.
Vast majority of it is in character of a krieger.
Last bit is a prostitute fucking the Krieger, and having as much fun as she was fucking a mad walking corpse.
>>
>>50505222
>>50505200
ahhhh ok, they bought him a hooker and his appearance broke her, thats actually pretty powerful.
>>
>>50505261
Not only his appearance. The way he moves, acts, talks, everything is weird. Read again anon.
>>
What is the appeal of this shit cannon fodder regiment?
>>
>>50505456
Pity.
>>
>>50505516
Pity for what? They are stupid enough to believe ''my grandfather's crimes are mine'' no one forced them to be a bunch of suicidal cretins.
>>
>>50504942

Sergeant Brinkerhoff slipped in behind the Lieutenant, coming to attention as he took stock of the room. All of Alpha company was here on the left side, and on the right an equal number of the masked Krieg Corpsmen. At the head of the room behind a lectern stood Colonel Koning and his Krieg counterpart.

Before he had time to wonder why they had been assembled the Colonel spoke. "Gentlemen, I have been informed by Captain Quintus of the Imperial Navy that inbound Tau reinforcements have been detected, and are expected to arrive on planet within five days. It is imperative that we take their stronghold before they are given the chance to reinforce and resupply." He paused briefly before continuing wryly "Unfortunately, their fortress is sealed up tighter than a Sister's legs."

There was a polite round of laughter among the alpha company men at their superiors' joke, though the Skull masked Krieg Grenadiers made no sound. The laughter died off quickly, leaving only one or two men weakly chortling. It was awkward to laugh when half the soldiers in the room were standing there like statues. The Colonel cleared his throat, looking slightly abashed as he did so, signalling the end to the laughter.
>>
>>50499747
It perfectly sums up the krieg, and does a great job of showing just how programmed and dehumanized they are. When a fucking commissar is feeling bad for them and having to order them to stay alive, you know shit is fucked up.

Also, they got some really badass moments. There's a point where they engage some necron flayers in close combat that was absolutely crazy to read. The front rank draws bayonets and fucking RUNS AT THE FLAYERS while the rear rank just pumps the fuckers with melta shots. As the flayers make it to the melta gunners, they chuck it to the next guy down the line, so that the meltas can keep firing as long as possible. All because it was the "most efficient" way to tackle the necrons.

That and the part where they "train" the local citizens into a militia, jesus that part was rough.

One of the better 40k books for sure, even if it's bleak as hell. If you're looking for a nice upbeat 40k series to read op, read Gaunt's Ghosts, sure as sure.
>>
>>50504593
The Commissar gets the tiniest hint of a smile out of him when he says he will be remembered.

And then the Commissar gets killed for the best and worst of reasons
>>
>>50505537
>no one forced them to be a bunch of suicidal cretins.
They get shot if they're not, so they kinda are.
Seriously, they are brought up from birth with a horrendous amount of subservience and self-loathing. In this way, they represent the worst of the Imperium.
It's sad.
>>
>>50505570

"However, we have a plan" He said gesturing to the masked Colonel on his right hand side "The 208th Death Korps have been tunneling beneath the Tau encampment. In light of recent developments we've extended the shifts to speed up the process, and they are projected to break through to the surface in two days."

As he spoke he pulled up a display behind him of the Tau position and pointed to an area that had been outlined in red "According to high altitude scans made by the navy, is the location of their primary AAA battery. We will use the tunnel to insert a strike force inside their perimeter and destroy their anti air capabilities, at which point a combined assault by our air wing and mechanized units will pave the way for a decisive push by the infantry. which will be spearheaded by the 208th."

"Alpha company you, along with the 208th's First grenadier company, have been selected for the honor of preforming the initial strike through the tunnels."
>>
>>50505586

One of the few commissars i really liked. Shame he died like that.The Colonel was by far the best part of the book for me though
>>
>>50500268
Read the book, and you'll realize how wrong you are on this. Ironic that you posted a pic of a commissar, as one is a main character and has some really humanizing moments talking to his men.
>>
>Orks are stupid lmao they just charge and die xD
>Kriegers are amazing ;_;

let's face it Warhammer fans are simply germanboos and would shill Tau if one of their commanders was named Hans
>>
>>50505644
Whenever Orks execute advanced tactics, it scares the Imperium shitless. I think it's actually a somewhat common theme in Imperial Guard novels.
>>
>>50505644
The difference is that Kriegers are actually cognizant of what they're doing. And they do it willingly out of a sense of sacrifice.
>>
>>50505644
>orks just charge and die
they get overcome by blood lust, everyone knows this. Orks aren't stupid either, they serve the will of Gork and Mork, attempting to create a perfect universe that is constantly torn apart by glorious war.
>>
>>50505644
If you want to be technical, kriegers are based more on WWI french aesthetically than Germans.
>>
>>50505835
>german helmets
>gas masks

they are based on germans
>>
>>50504530
Isn't that a play on the thing the Russians did where a whole squad would have one rifle between them, and when the man with the rifle died someone else would pick it up and carry on the charge?
>>
>>50505875

if you think about it they play on a lot of old Russian tactics. Like drowning the enemy under bodies.
>>
>>50505875
>whole squad

no, it was more like 1 in 2, and that was more for enemy at the gates than any sort of established doctrine other than penal batallions, who's jobs included terms like "Mine tramplers" and "Machine gun nest exposers"
>>
>>50505644
Orks are having fun. The Kriegers don't.

>>50505570
>>50505590
More?
>>
>>50506267

I don't know how much i want to dump here honestly. I mean i did want to give a taste, maybe get a few people to look forward to it so i'd have somebody in the thread next week, get some feedback, that sort of thing. But i don't really wanna go dropping too much here. I don't know. I'll think about it. i'm Sorry.
>>
>>50506381

That being said that really is next to nothing now that i look at it.....hmmmm.
>>
Are the Iron Warrior novels any good?
>>
>>50499747
"Emperor's Mercy" from the "Bastion Wars" series also slowly end on a dark note. I haven't read "Dead Men Walking" yet, I want to pick it up now.

"Flesh and Iron" from the same series also doesn't go too well
>>
>>50505261
Not just his looks, everything about him. Krieg doesn't produce men; it produces broken children. They're the personification of how bad things can get. They're supposed to be the good guys.
>>
File: 1480236117445.png (193KB, 621x423px) Image search: [Google]
1480236117445.png
193KB, 621x423px
The day I can read about a Krieger waifu's frozen, sealed off heart be gently thawed and touched through time after time of genuine love and care by a guardsman from another regiment after they were paired together, is the day I'll truly feel complete.
>>
>>50505644
Kriegers are French with a German word for their planet. They're also aware of what they're doing, while the Orks are incapable of considering their own deaths and so charge to them without a care in the world; might as well be picking flowers.

Also the Orks from the Rogue Trader days were much closer to Third Reich Germans in their aesthetic. Even had Stahlhelms and stick grenades.
>>
>>50505867
The top half of the helm is based on the French's Great War helm. The flare at the bottom is classic Stahlhelm though, yes.

Aside from the gas mask (which could just as well be British or French, they were similar enough), all the rest of the kit is French.
>>
>>50509757
>Kriegers are French with a German word for their planet.
Anon, the only things French about the Kriegers is their trenchcoats and gas masks. Literally everything else is clearly inspired by Germany.
>>
>>50499815
Krieg is objectively the shittiest regiment from a thematic perspective. They have no fucking personality, just tryhard edginess. At least Vostroyans have actual personality while living a shitty life.
>>
>>50499815
Holy shitsnacks
>>
File: Capture.jpg (69KB, 593x739px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
69KB, 593x739px
>>50509757
>french
>>
>>50509719

I'll try not to disappoint.
>>
>>50499747
>Other 40k novels at least had moments of emotional gratification in the form of last stands and self-sacrifice that actually paid off.
And that's why those books fail as where DMW succeeded
>>
File: 1401300248201.gif (410KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1401300248201.gif
410KB, 500x372px
>>50500268
>They're (figuratively) soulless robots.
>>
>>50510436
*vahallans

Yostroyans are the ones with the fancy bronze and wood equipment and the grenadier's bearskins.
>>
File: 1450887044850.png (260KB, 874x892px) Image search: [Google]
1450887044850.png
260KB, 874x892px
>>50505537
>no one forced them to be a bunch of suicidal cretins

>Recruitment starts almost from birth, and the ability to withstand the hardships of living on an atomic-blasted world is enhanced further with brutal training designed to quickly weed out the weak and unworthy. Mental conditioning is a key part of a Krieg recruit's training, their minds purposefully broken and remade stronger. Absolute faith in the Emperor is installed at an early age, amplifying preexisting cultural norms regarding honour and self-sacrifice to create what the Ecclesiarchy calls a "cult of sacrifice." This mental conditioning also emphasises their role as an element in the greater picture, a pebble in the avalanche which will crush the enemies of the Emperor; as individuals they do not matter, which is why medals and other awards are unheard-of in Krieg regiments, especially since bravery and heroism is to be expected.

Of course they're being forced into it. what do you think would happen if a "recruit" said he didn't want to fight?
>>
>>50509757
>WE WUZ KRIEGERS AND SHIET
>even 1d4chan says they are krauts
>they look like krauts
>they sound like krauts
>they behave like krauts

they are krauts
>>
>>50510905

Sure I get that, but I think 40k works best when it offers a slim ray of hope amidst all the grimdark. DMW just hinted at it and dangled it in front me, making me think there was a slight chance several times until all hope was unceremoniously crushed. The ending just illustrated the complete pointlessness of the entire struggle, alluding to what the commisar proposed at the beginning of the novel, that they should just call in the navy and annihilate the planet from orbit while rescuing those they can.

There was no going out in a blaze of glory, just the hard reality of accepting defeat and moving on.

I assume it was the author's intent to convey this all along. But it still made me feel like shit, I wanted them to pull through so much. But nope.
>>
Guys can you spoiler me the ending? I wanna LMAO at someone's misery Humanity Fuck You.
>>
File: 1471019164659.png (179KB, 710x654px) Image search: [Google]
1471019164659.png
179KB, 710x654px
>>50505644
>People still don't know that Krieg are inspired by every faction in WW1, not just Germans

>Helmet is a lovechild between the Adrian and Stahlhelm
>French coats
>German webbing
>British Masks
>Russian packs
>>
>>50511599
Sure thing Pierre.
>>
File: Veterans-1.jpg (96KB, 1024x401px) Image search: [Google]
Veterans-1.jpg
96KB, 1024x401px
>>50511602
In a lot of fan art people paint them without the helmet ridge, or really wehr-up their uniforms. imo they look better on the tabletop in the French blue anyway.

Don't you call me that slur, I'm a Brit.
>>
>>50511640
>I'm a Brit

both are backstabbing, scum of the earth nations so there is hardly any difference
>>
File: 1468968473207.jpg (185KB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
1468968473207.jpg
185KB, 1000x676px
>>50511656
Sure thing pal.
>>
>>50511680
Fuck you.
>>
File: 1412887883133.png (48KB, 234x311px) Image search: [Google]
1412887883133.png
48KB, 234x311px
>>50511701
>>
File: 1463761001906.jpg (52KB, 1756x179px) Image search: [Google]
1463761001906.jpg
52KB, 1756x179px
>>50511656
Screw you, we're fabulous elves and you can't do shit about it.
>>
>>50511962
I hate frogs even more now.
>>
File: 1463180755112.gif (927KB, 450x358px) Image search: [Google]
1463180755112.gif
927KB, 450x358px
>>50511985
Good, because whoever you are, we'll still be cunts towards you and each other.
>>
>>50499815
Someone wrote up a quick scrape about a krieger that received (or issued as he says) a flower. I should have capped it when I could.
>>
>>50511541
>Of course they're being forced into it. what do you think would happen if a "recruit" said he didn't want to fight?
Not the anon you're responding too, but i know the answer. If the recruit will not learn, they will teach.
>>
File: Fr&UK.png (433KB, 848x4969px) Image search: [Google]
Fr&UK.png
433KB, 848x4969px
>>50511656
>He's butthurt about not being a part of the two greatest countries on earth
Poor anon.
>>
>>50512033

I didn't cap it but i did keep it. It went thusly

Corporal, what have you there in your buckle?"

"It was a flower, sergeant."

"I can see that, it's dead. Why might you have been picking flowers corporal?"

"I did not acquire this equipment, sergeant. It was issued to me during parade, sergeant."

"Parade... the march through that small sector four hamlet, the manufactorium town you mean... issued?"

"By the girl in the white dress, sergeant."

"A civilian."

"Yes, sergeant."

"And you've kept it for two weeks?"

"Yes, sergeant."

"And why might that be, corporal."

"The Cadian accompaniment suggested a reason, sergeant, but I didn't understand it, sergeant."

"I can imagine. Why do you think you were... issued... this flower corporal?"

"I believe it was an attempt to raise morale, sergeant."

"And you kept it, why?"

"Because it raises my morale, sergeant."

"And why might that be?"

"Because the girl in the white dress issued me a flower to raise my morale, sergeant."

"Just when I think I've got you gas-mask lovers figured out... that'll be all corporal."

"Yes, sergeant."
>>
>>50512361
Many thanks.
>>
>>50512109
Today I'm feeling feels over a fucking Poland Ball comic.

It's a strange day.
>>
>>50512361
top tier
>>
>>50512033
He actually never accepted the flower
>>
>>50511570
>"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
This quote is a pretty good representation of 40k as a setting.
>The ending just illustrated the complete pointlessness of the entire struggle
Because heroic last stands and self-sacrifice are pointless endeavors in the 41st millennium because it is never enough to break the eternal war.
>There was no going out in a blaze of glory
Because that's not what the Krieg or 40k are about.
>I assume it was the author's intent to convey this all along.
It was.
>>
File: The sons of Krieg in a nutshell.jpg (261KB, 825x1372px) Image search: [Google]
The sons of Krieg in a nutshell.jpg
261KB, 825x1372px
>>50512033
I capped it back then
>>
>>50511577
The main character, who's been looking for his gf all throughout the duration of the book, gets to witness her leave the planet with another man.
>>
File: 1476845801549.png (755KB, 767x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476845801549.png
755KB, 767x720px
>>50513308
I was not expecting that from this book.
>>
>>50513308
And he decides to "become a hero" by grabbing melta bombs and going towards a monolith, having completely assimilated the Krieger mindset.
>>
Well, I just read it.

I don't normally like Black Library, but this one was good. Very good.
>>
>>50500108
totally wrecked my shit first thing in the morning Time to go look at bright colored 2nd edition army pics..
>>
>>50511577
See for yourself
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wWdlvwy64N
>>
>>50513952
pretty sad even without context
>>
>>50500018
>implying the tragedy wasn't created by the actual humans and not the autistic edgy rape children
>>
>>50504530
I love the moment when the retards quit their mission on the cusp of downing the tomb with a meltabomb because the Munitorium called off the operation, after preventing the world from being evacutated or aided in any form.
>>
>>50499747
I didn't like this book when I read it, and have never felt the need to reread it. I found it was bleak, disheartening and kind of depressing.

It's one of the best books Black Library has ever published.
>>
>>50512361
Glorious
>>
>>50512672
>dat circular logic

It's still adorable.
>>
>>50499747
40k is supposed to be bleak. Too many stories about the plucky group of guard ragtags overcoming the odds or spess mehreens doing invincible space marine things. Leave it to Krieg to actually bring back some grimdark.
>>
>>50512361
Don't Kriegers have Watchmasters instead of Sargeants though?
>>
>>50514474
It was a nuke, not a melta
>>
>>50515275
I think the Sgt. was a non-Krieg
>>
File: Hate Marine.jpg (339KB, 725x885px) Image search: [Google]
Hate Marine.jpg
339KB, 725x885px
>>50515259
I can understand business-wise why 40k's grimdark is being notched down from 120% to 90-95%, but I won't stop missing it.
>>
>>50513308
he's is basically middle management, she is his fiance(and daughter to the governor) but gets separated, bangs a cowardly admirals son and then at the end he sees her climbing onto a transport with him and decides not to call out/get rescued as he realizes their relationship would have never lasted.
>>
>>50503084
>spices
>not because it was badly fermented

k
>>
File: 1463087840983.gif (32KB, 320x216px) Image search: [Google]
1463087840983.gif
32KB, 320x216px
>>50515714
Remember kids. You can be taught to be a trooper by Kriegers, fight necrons, almost blow a tomb, and have so many close call with Deaths you become her most called number, if you're a poorfag, you don't get the girl and you die.
>>
>>50500268
>hey're (figuratively) soulless robots.
I didnt read the novel, but in the siege of vracks books they are shown to behave as normal people, just with heavy indoctrination.

(i do also remember a screencap from dont know what where it shows krieg soldiers running back to the trenches as they start to get shelled
>>
Well I just finished Nemesis, the HH book about the assassins taking a shot at Horus. Wasn't bad, just kinda lukewarm. Felt like the Eversor was given short shrift, only just able to take down a single marine? Wtf was he gonna do against fuckin Horus?, the Culexus girl was hot tho.
>>
File: krieg krieg krieg krieg krieg.gif (448KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
krieg krieg krieg krieg krieg.gif
448KB, 240x320px
Honestly my favorite krieger story on /tg/ was when someone started writing about when a army of guardsmen were given the right of settlement on some planet. All the different regiments started fighting over who had the right to lead the new settlement which was built around a tavern called the "dig the fuck inn". Anyway a kreiger as the last of his regiment and also technically because of this the senior most officer demanded to take command.

Anyway as the settlement was fleshed out a story made, the kreiger became a strict but fair ruler and the beginning of the planets ruling family.

i saved the tread as well but I don't know how to post it.
>>
>>50517534
I'm interested in this.
>>
File: mans spirit crushed by fat woman.jpg (406KB, 640x3904px) Image search: [Google]
mans spirit crushed by fat woman.jpg
406KB, 640x3904px
>>50515714
>>50513308

You misunderstood one thing. He did call out for her and attempted to reach her at the spaceship's ramp. She just didn't notice him and took the cowardly nobelman's son as her "betrothed".

Gunthar (the middle management guy) did all this for her: Became a real hero, overcame his fears, fought hard, trained hard, kept going against the most horrible necrons, and then gets abandoned in the end. Hell he was ready to suicide bomb the necron tomb with a nukclear charge strapped to his chest. All for her. She just abandons him for the more handsome, cowardly, nobleman's son.

She is the one who abandoned him. And that is what made me sad. It was such a predictable betrayal. I could see it coming from the 30% mark of the book.

Also too bad about the Colonel Commissar dying like that. He tried to save some misguided attackers from getting zerged by the Krieg soldiers, while also clearing their way to continue their advance upon the necrons.

And then the idiots just abandon the fight when he is literally infront of the goddamn tomb. Just a short sprint, pull the pin, and boom. No more necrons. That victory would have made all the losses worth it. But NOPE, gotta withdraw cause the victory would be too costly. It made literally 0% sense to me that they just quit at that point. All the dead people and soldiers wouldn't have come back to life, but the planet would be saved. All the industry, resources, components.

>Literally mfw the ending
>>
>>50518720
First, the nobleman wasn't a coward. Second, she claimed him to be her betrothed so he would get evacuated from the planet, being part of the governor's family and all that.

Sadly it has been a while since I last read through it so I can't say for sure, but IIRC they never formed a romantical relationship and she did try to look for Gunthar, but I might be wrong
>>
>>50518720
>That victory would have made all the losses worth it.

Sunk cost fallacy.

>But NOPE, gotta withdraw cause the victory would be too costly. It made literally 0% sense to me that they just quit at that point.

Some egghead in Departmento Munitorum did the math. Of course it looks different on the ground but fortunately the Krieg are not one to question orders. They understand war is a numbers game and if the numbers don't work out you're wasting resources thus committing treason.
>>
>>50518720
They didn't manage to reach the objective, so they didn't blow the nuke
>>
>>50511599
this, Krieg is a planet thats had ww1 last for 500 years.
>>
File: why did u do this.jpg (182KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
why did u do this.jpg
182KB, 960x600px
>>50518930
I read the book about three weeks ago, so the memory is still fresh.

Gunthar= Middle management mine overseer. Nobleboy = A suitor who was introduced to her by her uncle before the events of the book.

She and nobleboy were slaves at the temple of the iron gods. The two got closer over their stay there and slept with one another after their escape. She developed feelings for him and forgot about Gunthar. She literally did not recognize him at the spaceship ramp. She also lied to one of the slavekeeping priests that nobleboy was her bethrothed, saving him from execution, as the priests wanted to trade her and him for favors. In the end she lied to the Krieg colonel about nobleboy being her "bethrothed", despite not being engaged.

She could just have said that Gunthar was her chosen man and that she, if he were still alive, wanted to take him with her. She could have pointed at him at the ramp and said "this is my guy, he comes with me", if she had recognized him. Which she did not, because nobleboy replaced Gunthar in her mind.

He was a little fling, a daring risk, an exiting adventure for her. Her own little "rebellion" against her uncle, who was a bit overbearing with wanting to keep her safe. After his own four sons died as soldiers in the Guard.

And when the going got rough and things looked bleak, she forgot him. The book stated that their relationship could never work because of different social standing. The evacuation would have rectified that:Refugees. Their future, together, would have become a reality. If only she had actually fought for it, like Gunthar did. But she dropped him, and that is what makes it so sad.

Also the commissar had just filed a request for transfer to a different regiment cause he could no longer stand the inhumanity of the Krieg soldiers. He probably had only 5 or 10 more years of service till retirement left.

>Mfw when reading that she replaced him with nobleboy and he got stranded on a soon-to-be bombed planet.
>>
>>50499747

This book and its sequel inspired more cringey fix-fics than any other, because it did not fit peoples' headcanons and feelings. I hate this book.
>>
File: a8bXK53_460s.jpg (177KB, 460x1190px) Image search: [Google]
a8bXK53_460s.jpg
177KB, 460x1190px
>>50519330
Gunthar did not die to bombs though. At the end he grabs the bomb himself and go full Taliban on the Necrons. He says he knew what he had to do to become a hero or something.

Fortunates wenches, not even once.
>>
>>50519393
I can see what you mean but it's good to have to point to whenever some neckbeard comes up with a krieg-chan/terranis/"krieg with a hidden heart of gold" pasta.
>>
>>50519393
There was a sequel?
>>
>>50517534

Find a way, please, I really wanna read this.
>>
>>50519330
She literally did not recognize him at the spaceship ramp.
Gunthar was in a rioting mob of thousands. I can't blame her for not recognizing the man who probably looks drastically different from the last time they met.

The reason why she didn't search for Gunthar was because "if he was alive, he would have found me by now", which is pretty fucking stupid though
>>
>>50518456
Sorry It seems I saved an early thread for it but not the continuation threads of it.

All I can remember clearly was the town was called bunkertown
It was built around the Dig the fuck Inn
Many regiments had fought in the battle to hold the planet.
They were given the right of settlement as I think it had been an ork incursion and they wanted to leave a permanent force to suppress it.
All the regiments were bickering on who would lead.
There was one kreiger left from the first regiment that made land fall, meaning he was the defacto senior most officer for his regiment.
Since his was the senior most officer of the senior regiment he claimed command.
after that I don't remember much sorry, maybe someone else saved the thread.
>>
>>50519330

The new guy she met was actually a badass, however. He helped her escape from slavery and death at least twice.
>>
>>50519811

Down With The Dead Men. It's where people get the cloning thing from because of what they do to Krieg women. Also if you're not fit for battle they use you as target practice.
>>
>>50511131
>Vostroyans don't have shitty lives
Vostroya is much shittier than Valhallah.

>Be Vostroyan man
>Work 14 hours a day in factories from the age of 10 to 16
>At 16 drafted to join the guard because you are the firstborn son of your family
>Get a lasgun that was owned by your uncle who died in the guard and his uncle before him, and his uncle before him
>Have to fight in battles while receiving no respect
>Your regiment will probably be wiped out because you are cursed with shitty luck

Vostroyan 9th was destroyed and reformed three times over the course of 208 years
>>
>>50516565
I kind of liked it, the whole daemonic assassin thing came of kind of cool

I agree on the Eversor though, I wanted him to go down fighting like 10 marines, noble six style, but he ends up taking out like one or two marines before blowing up from his injuries

Didn't really get the part where the culexus got out-pariah'd by Spear or whatever that was, but it seemed like a shitty way to die nonetheless.
>>
>>50520326

It's not really a sequel. It's a tangentially related vignette, and there is nothing in there about cloning. That's just anone speculating bout the vitea womb, which I'm pretty sure is stated isn't cloning actually, but im mother sure. In any case I have my own theory on what the vwomb is.
>>
>>50520572

The book is pretty explicit on how the women are turned into drugged up tleilax axlotl tanks
>>
>>50512109
I love you, Mom & Dad.

- America
>>
>>50511546
>they behave like krauts
No, they behave like slavs.
>>
>>50517534
I would also like very much to read this.
>>
File: 1457840415888.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1457840415888.pdf
1B, 486x500px
anyone have the deadman walking pdf?

posting my favorite guardsman novel, armor of contempt of the gaunt's ghost series.

the invasion scenes are fantastically written.
>>
File: badassery.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
badassery.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>50499815
I want...I want M*A*S*H set in the Death Korps of Krieg and I want it fucking now. On HBO. Now. Why isn't it happening? NOW.
>>
>>50500566
Shut up it made me cry.
>>
File: IMG_1890.jpg (74KB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1890.jpg
74KB, 420x236px
>>50515920
HUDDA HUDDA HUH!
>>
File: 1464686416773.jpg (20KB, 380x420px) Image search: [Google]
1464686416773.jpg
20KB, 380x420px
>>50499747
are you complaining that a book meant to show the depressing reality of Kriegers is depressing, or are you lowkey starting up a Krieg thread?

it looks like the latter, so i'll forgive u this time
>>
>>50504172
Praise the Emperor!
>>
>>50501218
>I enjoyed it. I must have shit taste. I don't care.
Best attitude.
>>
I secretly hope that somehow at the very end he manages to get inside the super-tomb and fuck it up because all the necrons have switched off their "kill shit" mode
>>
File: 1358545425042.png (381KB, 1024x475px) Image search: [Google]
1358545425042.png
381KB, 1024x475px
>>50500566
Most of it, yeah, but the spinoffs shift into Kriegers finally finding some redemption. Or forgiving themselves, I suppose. FInding new life and vigor.

>>50501534
It's "Terranis Holds," Anon.

And I feel the same way.
>>
File: Death_Korps_of_Krieg_Medic.jpg (43KB, 654x534px) Image search: [Google]
Death_Korps_of_Krieg_Medic.jpg
43KB, 654x534px
>>50525328
I am not worthy!

It's been years since I read it though.
>>
File: 1460429340991.jpg (87KB, 677x583px) Image search: [Google]
1460429340991.jpg
87KB, 677x583px
>>50505575
>sure as sure
>>
>>50525674
>cheer up bro
>>
>>50512109
I'm having feels at a fucking polandball comic. What manner of devilry is this?
>>
>>50526992
Good writing?
>>
File: 1457833066287.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1457833066287.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50523361

bump
>>
File: 1457837043025.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1457837043025.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50528628
>>
File: 1457840892822.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1457840892822.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50528843
>>
>>50526698
>Tis but a scratch!
>>
File: Deathkorps.jpg (74KB, 805x514px) Image search: [Google]
Deathkorps.jpg
74KB, 805x514px
>>50499747
>>50499815
Fuck off with this sob-story bullshit Kriegers are the most badass.
They fear nothing not even death, they follow orders to the letter,
and have some of the most hard-hitting weapons of any regiment.
>>
>>50511701
Roasted Argie detected.
>>
>>50520334
>no respect
Remember every Vestroyan at home works one hour each day only to make stuff for their regiments. Not for the tithe but for their relatives fighting to redeem Vestroya in the eyes of the Emperor.

So at least their homeworld respects them.
>>
>>50520673
That does not make Kriegers clones. More like industrial fast bred war material.
Just as fucked up, but a different sort of.
>>
>>50528994

does no one really have or is willing to share dead men walking PDF??
>>
>>50533715

Look at the 40k general thread, you can get the dead men walking ebook from the repository at the start of the thread plus a shitload of other black librabry books.
>>
>>50533715
>>50534171

https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!V5wAnQID
>>
>>50534171
>>50534201

YAY YES FINALLY

also i've been lurking pdf thread bht was never able to find it...
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.