[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

d20 modern campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1480618269066.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480618269066.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
I'm running a d20 modern campaign for my dad, he bought all the books for it. While the system isn't great it's not intolerable and it's not part of the issue. The issue is I just feel like I can't do a modern gsme that well. He made a geologist character and a doctor character and he wanted the campaign yo be something like out of Falling Skies where aliens land and fuck shit up and resistance has to fight back.

So I did one session where he went to his old professors house cause the guy had found a weird gem, and when he gets there the professor is dead and the cops are on their way. They run away, go to woods where the professor said he found the gem, and find more of them. They've also got a business card for some optics company with a date written on it that they found on the professors body.

The issue is, I don't know where to go next with this. I had this vague idea of the stones being "quantum stones" that this optics guy is using to do research into another dimension, where he makes contacts with the aliens.

For the alien invasion part I've got a cool "under the dome" type effect where they put a dome over half of Montana, nothing can get in or out while the aliens try to harvest what they came for. So blowing up the shield generator would be a great campaign goal (cause once it's down the air force could easily btfo the aliums. )

Any advice? I just feel incapable of running a plot heavy game like this. Also my dad seemed to want his geology skills to come into play so I'm trying to think how to incorporate this as well.
>>
>>50485111
Draw inspiration from Artemis Fowl, but with aliens instead of fairies.
>>
Damn it, forgot to add that the first session ended with them being taken hostage by dudes on blsck SUVs, after they got back to the parking lot at the hiking trail. I was hoping to bring in my little brother and his characters here , cause they are,ex police. The characters are also on the run from the cops because there is stuff trying to frame the geologist dude for the professors death.

Should I try to do an intro session for my brother, or just say fuck it, this is where you are and what you're doing., here's your cue, and start them off together? I mean I am the kind of RPer who doesn't mind the GM saying "yeah your character starts out at X wanting Y and just a few minutes ago you were doing Z" cause it makes,for,more interesting introductions without the GM having to railroad you through something first.
>>
>>50485142
Never read those but I'll look them up on Wikipedia.
>>
self bump, pls give advice.
>>
>>50485111
you did a smart thing making it an alien invasion means you dont have to deal with that stupid abstracted wealth bullshit
>>
>>50485173
>just say fuck it, this is where you are and what you're doing., here's your cue

Do this

There is no sense in concocting some backstory when you can start with a bang and have them fill in the blanks afterward.

So far it sounds like you're doing alright.

d20 Modern is a decent game if it stays focused. Don't introduce more than one f/x, don't use a bunch of alt.races, create obstacles that aren't fights.

Players feel good when they have two challenges they can crush, and one they think they'll lose.
>>
>>50485111
God you're ugly. Like chris-chan had an aborted child or something
>>
>>50490075
First beer, asshole?
>>
>>50488142
top kek, very true. I actually prefer the d20 Apocalypse bartering system.

>>50490075
Pic is something I saved from r9k, it isn't me. I am ugly though.

>>50489848
Alright I will. As long as my brother's okay with it, and I think he will be. I don't plan on introducing any F/X unless I have to. And I hope to do vidya-ish missions where players need to retrieve / rebuild stuff to help the resistance.

It's just the getting to that point of having the aliens land that I'm kind of stuck on. And incorporating geology which I know as much as an 8th grade earth science class would.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.