[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mystery in RPGs (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: WFRP.png (266KB, 700x240px) Image search: [Google]
WFRP.png
266KB, 700x240px
Hey. It's the WFRP fag from a few weeks ago. My game's been delayed by a series of holidays, but we're finally getting back together this weekend. We're getting into the Cthulhu-style mystery part of the adventure.

Advice I need from CoCKs and other GMs... how do you keep the mystery going without giving away too much? What's your policy on red herrings? If any of you have played The Enemy Within, do you have any direct advice?

>I'm GM

>Campaign Module: Shadows Over Bogenhafen

Five Players:
>Dwarf Student with ridiculous close-combat abilities
>Dwarf Watchman who constantly bumbles into traps (recently blinded himself before the boss fight)
>Human Squire with a short temper, but is generally honorable and is the unspoken 'leader' (because his player is always the first to talk)
>Human Burgher who is a greedy coward (also the only player to know the system)
>Human Vagabond with thief connections

The players have just discovered the unfortunate secret of the town -- the demonic ritual temple in the sewers of Bogenhafen. This is when this adventure takes a turn from DnD to Fantasy CoC. I am finding that I am running out of funny voices and different accents from around the British Isles to do for my NPCs, which kinda sucks.

The players seemed to enjoy the Schaffenfest. I had to come up with rules on the fly for their participation in the Saponatheim Tournament, as they stole knight's armor and competed. They did not seem to enjoy "dungeon" dive in the sewers, which is fine by me, as I think dungeons are contrived and we will avoid them in future.
>>
>>50485050
Red herrings are great, don't be shy in using them. Eventually your players will start to doubt everything and look gift horses in the mouth, as it should be in a proper spooky mystery. They should never be too sure about an answer they come to and doling out contradictory information via npcs and texts/books/etc can help. One thing I tell my players is "Just because he told you something, doesn't mean he's telling the truth, or that he's even accurate." Just because you're he all knowing GM doesn't mean the npcs share the same knowledge. I also throw in hefty amounts of bias depending on the npc, their lot in life and who they are interacting with.
>>
>>50485686
I worry about them not even recognizing clues if I give them too many fucky red herrings
>>
>>50487662
Shouldn't that be apart of the mystery? Using their own deduction skills supplemented by PC skills to figure out what's what.
>>
I'm running 1st edition WFRP and I keep my players always guessing what is going on.

There is always some kind of mystery going on in my games.One clue leads to another and so on. I also heavily use Terror/Horror-tests, if PCs fail they got insanity points and when they gain too much they get disorder. (ie. Call of Cthulhu and Darkest Dungeon)
This keeps the players pretty much not running towards the danger and seeking out too much about cults and chaos stuff, so they use hirelings to help them with information. Hireling doesn't return, maybe something happen'd to him/her? This gives many questions, who or what was it? why was the hireling killed or captured? One time the hireling was just dead drunk in the pub, and the PCs almost rushed to the opium-house turned Tzeentch cultist safehouse.

Don't ever let them get all the information in a one go. Bits and pieces.
>>
>>50488802
None of my players have the resources for hirelings yet. Lol. But they just rolled phenomenally well against a Guardian Demon and killed it (with some insanity points).
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.