[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/3pd/ 3d Scanners and Printers!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 456505-lulzbot-mini[1].jpg (14KB, 333x245px) Image search: [Google]
456505-lulzbot-mini[1].jpg
14KB, 333x245px
Anybody here have any experience with 3d printing minis? How about using a 3d scanner to get blueprints to print copies?

Are there any printers/scanners you guys have had success with that are good enough to do 25mm/28mm scale minis?
>>
>>50475002
A bit of googling should tell you that the hardware, plastic, and setup will cost you several thousands of dollars (if you want anything close to the quality of manufactured minis).

Depending on the game, that could be several armies, enough to get you and several friends started.

Recasting sprues is a lot cheaper.
>>
Well, you can have basic home made 3d printer for around 300 bucks, the only catch is you need 3d printer to make the parts.
>>
>>50475184
Eh, I've worked the theoretical price one one built from scratch down to $60, but you have to be able to weld to get it done, and it'll likely never reach the quality we're trying for here. Also you'd need experience with Arduinos, and some coding.

Actually, we over at the /fvgt/ would have some interest in this. We may or may not be planning on gathering 3D models to make virtual 40k a thing.
>>
Use a SLA printer that bakes resin if you want detail for miniatures. You can buy one, and it is possible to make one if you have a DLP projector that you can hook up to it. I used a friend's a couple of times and the models came out well. I saw a guy online who did an entire WHFB napoleanic themed Ogre army with one.

For scanning you will need to shell out for a good scanner, as one that uses a chellphone camera just won't work that well. That said companies ranging from Perry Bros to Kingdom Death use scanners to great effect, and it is certainly workable. You will need to work on the mesh afterwords to make sure that it slices right so you can use it with a SLA printer.
>>
>>50475002
You'll want a stereolithography printer of some sort.

Better, more expensive, options exist.
But that's the cheapest that will come out decent.
>>
>>50475093
>>50477208
What about 3d Printing Services?

Is there anything you can use to print out something yourself, with professional grade minis quality?
>>
I have seen a kickstarter project about a 3d printer.
here it is now
https://www.tiko3d.com
Costs around 200$
>>
>>50479096
>What about 3d Printing Services?
Sure, be prepared to pay out the nose for what you want though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.