[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pre historic RP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Hello fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls.

I'm in the process of making a custom game setting placed in the age of hunter gatherers. It's a low fantasy setting where the magic is in spirits, tribal elders/shaman and totem animals.

The party, thinking they are rolling a standard WHFRP soldier template are in fact going to be a group of young hunters about to embark on their first hunt with the adults. I'm customizing their stats/skills to fit whatever a hunter in 30-10.000 BC would have to know and be able to do.

I've got a few solid weeks of sessions planned out but I need some more inspiration for more campaigns. Any ideas? Feel free to ask questions or suggest improvements.

Pic sort of related minus the dinos.
>>
>>50467154
Try Anaboria first
>>
>>50467154
>The party, thinking they are rolling a standard WHFRP soldier template are in fact going to be a group of young hunters about to embark on their first hunt with the adults

Do NOT do this. Nothing will annoy your players more than a bait and switch, if you want to run a prehistoric game then tell your players up front that this is what you're doing.
>>
>>50467154
Please explain it to me, because I'm apparently missing something.
What's the point of running setting X, if you are going to make it a secret for your players?
>>
>>50467154
Make taming animals difficult, but rewarding. The first guy to tame a flying dino big enough to ride is gonna get a massive leap in possible means of attack and movement. Same for swimming animals, and less so for land creatures(that stand in for horses).

Basically make animals worth it to tame
>>
>>50469318
Taming animals should not be considered a one-and-done deal, because it never is. No wild animal should ever be one roll away from perfect and eternal obedience. An animal should never be treated as a piece of equipment that the player has absolute control over. Every animal, especially every non-domesticated animal, is never more than one bad day away from fighting you or running away forever.
>>
File: 11851553.jpg (26KB, 295x475px) Image search: [Google]
11851553.jpg
26KB, 295x475px
>>50467154
> Pic sort of related minus the dinos.
>minus the dinos
What are you, a fucking casual?
>>
>>50467154
The Ice Age was a time when the fantasy convention of multiple sapient species sharing the world really was true. Get some other members of genus Homo in there.
>>
>>50467154
OG! Unearthed Edition already exists.
>>
Just going to leave this here.
>>
>>50469318
>>50469740
Ive actually been cooking up an animal taming system where you've got the animals original instincts and reaction towards you on a circular matrix, and then you deflect it around the matrix based on how you try to tame it and that dictates your final relationship with it, with each relationship having its own limited set of commands that could be taught depending on the strength of your bond.

Skill determines possible degree of deflection, with an initial random roll giving the encounter a nudge so you dont get to metagame natural reactions.

It sounds complicated, but when I had it mapped out it fit, as a completed sub-mechanic, on two pages.
>>
>>50467369
>Do NOT do this. Nothing will annoy your players more than a bait and switch, if you want to run a prehistoric game then tell your players up front that this is what you're doing.
This x 10,000 B.C.
>>
>>50469318
>The first guy to tame a flying dino big enough to ride is gonna get a massive leap in possible means of attack and movement.

Scientifically, Pterosaurs glided more than they flew, and almost certainly couldn't carry anything as heavy as a person. Or if you're using fantasy physics, maybe they _could_ fly with a rider, but you could arbitrarily choose to make them violently dislike being handled.

The point is that you don't have to give the players flying mounts if you don't want to.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.