[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bloodborne TTRPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: feels.jpg (175KB, 808x578px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
175KB, 808x578px
How would you do it?
>>
File: 1452764483089.jpg (346KB, 1328x2133px) Image search: [Google]
1452764483089.jpg
346KB, 1328x2133px
I doubt you could really capture the sort of fast paced feel of Bloodborne, but you could capture much of the universe if you've talent enough to tell a story.
>>
I've been working on one for awhile now. It's more similar to Apocalypse World or Blades in the Dark. The most interesting part of Bloodborne, to me, is its setting and atmosphere and the way the mechanics reinforce that.

I could go on about this for days but long story short, I think it's impossible to adapt Bloodborne's video game mechanics to the tabletop. Instead I'm approaching it in reverse: create tabletop mechanics that will reinforce the themes and atmosphere, similar to the relationship between story and mechanics in the video game without being bound to any specifics.

I also realize that cultivating an atmosphere of tension, fear and danger is difficult at the table, so I'm focusing on themes of madness, survival and camaraderie. I think those will be easier to play with.
>>
>>50461688
ehhh it could, I once used the card game "speed" to play a fast paced action game.
>>
>>50461656
It would probably have to be a game who's mechanics are purely based on sword fighting/dueling.

Mainly the system would have to feature competing rolls against targets, such as attack vs dodge.

There would have to be mechanics that feature movement in the rule, like say that dodging the attack cases the person dodging to move to another location near the enemy.

Positioning is also going to have to a major factor, such as backstabbing dealing more damage.
>>
>>50461656
Well, depends on which parts you want to carry over.

Mechanically the most interesting would be some sort of souls-like exploration mechanic where the more you risk, the more you can push forward, but the more likely you'll run into a trap/ambush. On the other hand, being too cautious would mean missing opportunities for advancing forward, draining away your non-renewable resources without any benefit.

Combat should pretty much be just something your group is familiar with / likes. There's probably no way you can translate the speed and the feel, and the mechanics involved at the same time, so it's probably best to pick 1 or 2.

The story... the story is actually pretty mallable. You could set it on a night of the hunt before or after the one in the game. Or you could play the same night if your players haven't played the game and save yourself some work.

Also, read the paleblood hunt for setting details. The way factions are described is a pretty great resource.

>>50462093
A PbtA hack for Bloodborne could definitely work. Making hard decisions is basically what the gameplay of souls is about. I think you should play up the conflicting goals and ideals instead of camaraderie, which AW does pretty well already.
>>
File: bloodbrew.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
bloodbrew.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50461656
>How would you do it?
I wouldn't use a shot for shot of the setting with anyone but players of the game and specifically lore-whores, its too wierd.

but if I were to try I'd spend a lot of time thinking about how the world works.

the worlds of SoulsBourne games are all heavily detailed, and to capture that detail you need to narrate carefully.

Darkness does NOT need to be a regular thing. a bright and shiny morning or afternoon gives a high point to contrast with the low, no need to be dim and dreary all the time with rolling thunderheads at all hours.

those are my thoughts.
and also my not terribly good attempt at mimicking the feel of the setting.
>>
bump bump buuuump
>>
>>50461656
You might as well ask how we'd do a Citizen Kane RPG. Bloodbourne, like Souls, is all about its gameplay. Even the lore is built around the gameplay, acting to create a dead world full of monsters and loot that you gradually come to understand. If you put it down in book it'd be terribly shallow.
>>
>>50461656
Depends, do you want to be a Hunter, or a normal human?
>>
>>50461656
I roll to sex the doll
>>
File: DH_CH_rending_leg.jpg (166KB, 994x738px) Image search: [Google]
DH_CH_rending_leg.jpg
166KB, 994x738px
>>50461656
what about a dark soul games ?
personally, i would use the core rule of dark heresy, since it is sufficiently gritty and unforgiving to get the ''your life sucks. enjoy getting rekt by random level 1 zombies/hollows with rusted knifes'', though the combat mechanics would be drastically different.
also, hilarious table of damage
>>
>>50470840
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.