[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Text based RPGS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20161122-131259.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161122-131259.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Hello, I want to run a game via text for my group. How does /tg/ recommend I go about it? Currently I'm on the fence between email or group chat? Is there a website/app similar to roll20 that is more geared for text based games? Any opinions thoughts about running a strictly text based game? Any tips?

Text based RPG thread I guess?
>>
Text is a entirely fine way to run RPGs. Using IRC to run games is a time honored tradition. While some games like 3.5 and 4E require a grid in order to resolve combat, most can be run via theater of the mind. It's a great format for dungeon crawls, as RAW B/X wants the players to do all the mapping themselves. I ran a Maid RPG campaign last week, and everything went smoothly.

Look into IRC roleplaying channels OP. There is an official /tg/ IRC server (Suptg), though I use Rizon personally.
>>
>>>/qst/
>>
>>50454825
IRC is a good suggestion, but I feel like it lends itself to larger communities much more then smaller groups? If it's just going to be me DMING a group of about 5 or six, wouldn't it be just another step away from a group chat on the phone?
>>
>>50455013
You can use IRC for small groups easily. Just set a password for the channel and use a dicebot as usual. If you want to use group chat on a phone then that shoudl work out well too. You will need a dicebot but I am sure that it can work out.
>>
I run a lot of IRC games for 4-5 people including a GM and it works fine.

Just make your own channels, an IC and an OOC, get a dicebot and you're golden. If you really need a battlemap just use roll20 in the background. I prefer keeping the actual RP in IRC for my games.
>>
A huge advantage of text games is keeping logs. That way you barely need to do anything in the way of taking notes, as you can just check the IRC channel's logs and see what was said and done earlier.
>>
>>50455028
>>50455035
The game we are running is one of them new fangled dice less game so it shouldnt be much of an issue.

But, is it easier to create different personas on IRC (my experience with it is pretty limited) because I would really enjoy being able to talk as different NPC's or as a narrator and try and remove the "DM" as much as possible. .
>>
>>50455105
You can change your nick. It depends on the client of course, but it is easy to do. I use Irssi for example, and all I have to do is type /nick mynick in order to change my alias.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.