[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mtg Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 25

File: Standard Showdown pack.png (105KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
Standard Showdown pack.png
105KB, 850x500px
WOTC Standard Desperation Edition

>What are you playing?
>What are you brewing?
>Does you LGS host the Standard Showdown?
>If so, have you gotten any sweet stuff?
>>
>>50452770
>>>What are you playing?
WU Flash Spirits
>>What are you brewing?
Dubious Challenge. It's just such a "brew me, fuckface" kind of card. I can't resist.
>>Does you LGS host the Standard Showdown?
Yep, didn't get the chance to go last weekend though.
>>
File: Surgical.jpg (139KB, 1024x1284px) Image search: [Google]
Surgical.jpg
139KB, 1024x1284px
Is it worth it to play Jund Delirium or is the BG version strictly better with its consistency?
>>
>>50452770
>What are you playing?

Nothing, format is dead at all 3 of my shops near me

>What are you brewing?

No point in brewing, brews in standard right now are just shitty synergies with samewalkers and smegma copters strapped on.

Still couldn't get enough people at all 3 shops, I called in to each one.

>>How do you feel playing the most cucked format in Magic?

There is some fun to be had playing less powerful cards versus other less powerful cards, but I just wish the power level was a bit higher. Things like mana leak and lightning strike should always be available at common, they're now pushing this sort of thing to the uncommon slot. It's unacceptable.
>>
Some aether revolt stuff from facebook

new wrath looks good
>>
>>50455386
>wrath
I wish. That's Languish right there.
>>
>>50455386
I wonder if Trophy Mage is gonna make Dynavolt Tower decks better
>>
>>50455402
>Languish
I wish. That's trash at killing creatures right there.
>>
File: Ancestral+Vision+%5BTSP%5D.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestral+Vision+%5BTSP%5D.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>50455386
>Yahmni's Expertise
>>
How do you pronounce Yahmni?
>>
>>50455443
I don't know, it hoses everything in W/U flash, R/W Vehicles, and that B/R aggro deck, the top 3 aggro decks of the format.
>>
>>50455453
>>50455466
It's Yahenni
>>
>>50455386
>Wiping the board and getting a Liliana into play
Chase rare right there
>>
File: 1395089562382.jpg (28KB, 171x241px) Image search: [Google]
1395089562382.jpg
28KB, 171x241px
>>50455498
>liliana comes in to pick off the 4 toughness creature left alive
>>
>>50455540
I mean assuming all you pick off is just two creatures and you cast literally anything else with the second part of the card it seems pretty great
>>
>>50452770

Hey guys, I'm working on a sweet brew that uses Midnight Oil, one of my favorite cards from Kaladesh!

Tell me what you think!

4 Blooming Marsh
1 Emrakul, the Promised End
1 Evolving Wilds
7 Forest
3 Grapple with the Past
4 Grasp of Darkness
4 Grim Flayer
4 Hissing Quagmire
3 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
4 Liliana, the Last Hope
3 Mindwrack Demon
2 Murder
1 Noxious Gearhulk
2 Pilgrim's Eye
1 Ruinous Path
7 Swamp
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Transgress the Mind
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Vessel of Nascency
1 Midnight Oil

2 Dead Weight
1 Emrakul, the Promised End
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Natural State
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Pick the Brain
1 Tireless Tracker
2 To the Slaughter
2 Transgress the Mind
>>
>playing
Mono black eldrazi hand Jank
>brewing
Wolf in mech in vehicle
RG energy or.something. just a concept

So, some guy nags at our lgs about standard showdown for a week, and asking once would have been enough, but they had trouble getting hold of the distributor so answering was slow. They had the little pa KS coming in for it and scheduled the showdown, basically, to cater to the guy since demand for standard here is only so-so.
He never showed up for the showdown.
I ended up getting a pack, but it had a foil common, under the floowboards, and that one "life becomes 26" spell.
So far? Mediocre
>>
>>50456163
sweet brew!

I don't want to go too crazy, but I think you could even put a midnight oil in the sideboard, cutting one of the natural states.
>>
im trying to brew u/r control. bluehulk and chandra are just so fucking close to being broken
>>
>>50452770
My LGS got sent like 44 BAB boosters when they were only meant to get 10. Me and the owner opened a few for shits/shop stock. First pack I cracked an expedition Wasteland, second pack an Emrakul. They're legit.
>>
>>50456347
The Tower lists are the best UR lists right now. I can give you my list if you want, it hangs and bangs with Delirium and UW.
>>
>>50456347
I don't think Chandra will ever be considered broken, but I do think you'll never be disappointed using her or having her out
>>
>>50456479
If you're playing control, Jace is much better than Chandra. He draws you better cards, and they go to your hand rather than needing to be cast that turn.
>>
>>50456580
Probably but if you've got the board fairly under control that 2 damage a turn is pretty good.

I mean sometimes you just need to get the game over
>>
>>50456580
Chandra's ramp allows you to keep lands untapped for countermagic tho.

She's really good, and is always a target when she hits the board. Hopefully something in Aether Revolt allows a deck to built around her.
>>
>>50456600
>I mean sometimes you just need to get the game over
With Dynavolt Tower you can generally end the game really fucking fast anyway. End step tap two Towers deal 6, Flame Lash deal 4, untap draw, tap deal 6, Gearhulk back a Flame Lash. Between their end step and your upkeep you can deal 20.
>>
>>50452770

>>What are you playing?
GR Energy, poor man's edition

>>What are you brewing?
Fabricate

>>Does you LGS host the Standard
Showdown?
Yep

>>If so, have you gotten any sweet stuff?
I think I opened the most valuable pack in the shop, part the waterveil, a toolcraft exemplar and a foil full-art mountain

Most people got utter garbage
>>
>>50454698
Bump, should I go to brewing WB control instead?
>>
>>50452770
>>What are you playing?
rakdos graveyard
>>What are you brewing?
bleh
yup
nothing good yet
>>
>>50452770
What does wizards need to do to make standard great again? I don't think its any secret that this format is trash, despite everyone being so optimistic. People thought this would be perfect for brewing/combos/something unique, but it turned into jam your most pushed rares/mythics into a deck and call it good. People say cards like swords/path, counterspell, and lightning bolt are too good for standard, but are they really? They dont even have to be the exact same card, just something that is even comparable, not this "cancel with upside" and ruinous path garbage. I feel like then the format would be a little more interesting than who can curve out the hardest.
>>
>>50455468
I mean, it doesn't kill the best creature in the format, which is a problem
>>
>>50461080
Sure, and Languish didn't kill Siege Rhino which was always a knock against it.

I just think this does enough that it'll see regular play
>>
>>50455386
At least ajanis back...
>>
>>50456163
>tfw ran G/B delirium last format
>tfw bought lilly when people thought she was bad at like 15 a pop
>tfw people won't know I liked the deck before it became the meta
>tfw still win every FNM and rack up cool store credit for cards I might need out of AR

suffering
>>
>>50460830
it wouldn't matter if those cards were in standard or not

all it would do is speed up the format
it would still be solved within a month only it would use those cards and would have games ending on turn 2 or 3 rather than 5 or 6

fixing standard is hard
in fact that biggest thing holding standard back is probably limited
the fact that wizards has to design about 3/4 of the set specifically for limited means that the majority of commons and uncommons in the set are going to be made with limited in mind rather than constructed.
so they set is self contained and as such they have to make the cards suck on purpose because if they made tons of cool cards that interacted well with one another in limited they could honestly just break the game if when interacting with cards outside a limited scope.

if they didn't care so much about limited and just allowed it to be a mess then you could possibly see an improvement in the standard format
they could actually design good commons and uncommons rather than loading all the power of the set into the mythics and a few rares.
>>
>>50452770
>playing
G/R Aggro, no pummelers
>brewing
Simic Energy, with pummelers, probably going to try an artifact subtheme.
>Showdown
Did like shit last week, but I still got a Thalia's Lt. out of it and I expect to do better this time around.
>>
>>50455386
>Hey guys, lets made BG Delirium more broken!
>>
>>50462834
>they have to make the cards suck on purpose because if they made tons of cool cards that interacted well with one another in limited they could honestly just break the game if when interacting with cards outside a limited scope.
You're a fucking retard.

t. Power cube owner
>>
Hey, can someone check out this deck? It's doing pretty well at FNM.

13x Mountain
11x Forest
4x Borderland Marauder
4x Pyre Hound
4x Peema Outrider
4x Wily Bandar
4x Rush of Adrenaline
4x Borrowed Hostility
4x Built to Smash
4x Larger Than Life
4x Giant Spectacle
>>
>>50455386
I swear to god if there's no R instant that burns creatures and face for at least two or 1R instant that does the same for 3 I am going to burn down my store

UR visions player here
>>
>>50456163
I'm bad at brewing. Could you explain why you only use one midnight oil?
>>
File: 1479628133926.gif (2MB, 228x170px) Image search: [Google]
1479628133926.gif
2MB, 228x170px
>>50455386
>you may cast a card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your hand without paying it's manacost
>doesn't kill your delirium grim flayers
>free liliana, lol
What the FUCK?
>>
>>50466910
If you have 3 types in the yard and none are sorcery, it still wouldn't kill a Grim Flayer.
>>
>>50467089
The ability resolves before it goes to the graveyard
>>
>>50467171
It only dies when state based actions are checked, by which point the delirium ability is already doing its thing. It's the same as Bolting a 2/3 Goyf with no instant in the yard.
>>
>>50467266
I'll take your word on it
>>
why does standard feel so bad? is it because it's run by playsets of 20$+ cards?
>>
>>50467587
I think it's because WB and BG are so dominant, at your LGS you'll mostly be seeing the T2 decks, which are cheesy as hell with shit like T4 Em or aggro in R/X. Nothing is really fun to play against.
>>
>>50467786
nothing is really fun to play WITH. Standard was more fun with Coco imo
>>
>>50465357
Yeah, I'm super fucking unhappy about that. Naya better get some hate to quell Delirium.
>>
>>50468846
>quell
You did that on purpose
>>
>>50452770

>Playin'
R/G Energy
>Brewin'
Just putting the finishing touches on R/G Energy for the Denver GP
>Standard Showdown
My "local" game store is about 100 miles away... still a couple of friends and I went down there this past Saturday to get some practice in for the GP.
>Anything good?
Not for me! Went 2-1-2 with my R/G Energy and got no packs, one of my friends went 4-0-1 (playing BG Delirium) and got two packs with nothing good, and my last friend (playing Boros Vehicles) who did worse than I did got a pity pack and opened a Sword of Light and Shadow. Lucky bastard. He's the lucky one when it comes to packs.
>>
>>50455240
Sounds to me like you have a shitty local meta. Good luck ever being competitive.

>inb4 tries to justify how huge modern/legacy are in his area

Doesn't matter.
>>
>>50458407
BG is strictly better
>>
>>50471960
Could it be worth a splash for Kozilek's return, Chandra flamecaller or Arlinn?
>>
File: it's fucking garbage.jpg (49KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
it's fucking garbage.jpg
49KB, 223x311px
Why? Why can't we have good cards as promos again?
>>
>>50452770
>>What are you playing?
UW Flash cuz I wanna win
>>What are you brewing?
Nothing, because UW Flash is too good
They just started last Saturday
I've made top 8 consistently, but haven't pulled anything good. Sucks because I just paid my tuition for next semester and I'm broke
>>
>>50475013
>meanwhile at the PTQ
>>
>>50475061
That makes more sense because a PTQ has more heft than FNM, but still. Even back a few years ago the promos were still choice pics, even if not rares or mythics. Things like elvish mystic, bile blight, and stoke the flames all saw heavy play.
>>
>>50475013
so its a worse fact or fiction? man I miss the days when we at least got playable or even alright promos.
>>
>>50475013
>Why can't we have good cards as promos again?
Let me tell you what was the prevalent whining when promos were good.

Players were crying and bitching online that suddenly all the "good" players showed up to FNM and started winning with their good decks and these whiny bitches were complaining that it made FNM too competitive. And supposedly stores were screwing their players by not giving away all the promos.

So let's note all the fuck-ups Wizards has gone through to reach this point, say since M10. Promos used to be good, you got fucking Mythics like Wurmcoil and Emrakul and even trash like Ajani or Sheoldred was useful. FNM promos were great Constructed good shit like Wall of Omens and even trash like Gatekeeper or Spellstutter had value. Then people fucking cried about it and now Mythic promos went away and so did good FNM promos. And they replaced good shit with useless fucking pre-release gimmicks that only made it more inconvenient for stores to explain these stupid mini-game rules to people. Then Wizards tries to fix it by returning to classic Sealed pre-releases and giving stores 8+ promos per FNM event, when they should have just given stores 8+ FNM promos from the fucking beginning and never changed pre-releases at all. Because guess what Wizards, MOST stores only get to play Sealed during pre-releases, and not everyone plays Magic to fucking death five days a week.

Basically this situation is a result of players fucking crying about receiving good cards as promos. And it was exacerbated by the fact Wizards doesn't know what the fuck its doing.
>>
File: 1473296598063.png (37KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1473296598063.png
37KB, 658x662px
>tfw UR Control
>tfw BG is getting better tools
>literally picked the deck to beat the decks that beat BG because it's an unfavorable MU
A-a-aetherworks will g-get more p-popular, right g-guys?
>>
Eyh, I'm considering getting back into mtg standard, I played back during the invasion/odyssey block but things seem to have changed a lot. Seems like T2 doesnt exist anymore and now it's called Standard, and standard is composed of the two most recent blocks ? But I'm not sure I understand where does the core set stands in all this, it seems the last core set was Origins but they don't want to do any more core set now ? So will origins be forever standard legal ? Or is the core set not standard anymore ?

I don't fully get it and would like a rundown on that if anyone is feeling helpful. Also, is it a good time to get into standard ? I'd like to invest into cards that won't get out of fashion next month if possible.
>>
>>50478203
Origins is out, they're not doing Core Sets anymore but it'll be back in like two years.

Standard rotates the last two blocks out during the fall set release. (So Battle for Zendikar and Shadows over Innistrad are on the chopping block right now, going away when the fall 2017 set comes out.)
>>
>>50478203
>whatsinstandard.com

you can thank me later
>>
File: 1441006907793.jpg (153KB, 1093x800px) Image search: [Google]
1441006907793.jpg
153KB, 1093x800px
>tfw no fresh memes for standard since Khans rotated.
>>
Been working on this, feel like it's almost there

4 Aether Hub
2 Highland Lake
6 Island
8 Mountain
2 Westvale Abbey

Spells
3 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Decoction Module
4 Fevered Visions
3 Harnessed Lightning
4 Panharmonicon
1 Saheeli Rai
3 Welding Sparks

Creatures
2 Experimental Aviator
3 Nebelgast Herald
3 Quicksmith Genius
4 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Whirler Virtuoso

Sideboard
SB: 2 Ceremonious Rejection
SB: 1 Deadlock Trap
SB: 2 Demolish
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 2 Metalwork Colossus
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Radiant Flames
SB: 2 Void Shatter
>>
>>50479276
>2 Highland Lake
What the fuck is the point when Fumarole and Spirebluff See-Anal exist? This is like Budget Constraints: the Deck. Panharmonicon without Gearhulks and with <20 creatures? Only 3 Harnessed Lightning? Samemeli Rai?
>>
>>50473187
Bump
>>
>tfw live in MN
>tfw car broke and can't go to Denver
feels BAD man
>>
>Aetherworks in more popular than Delirium on goldfish
muh
dick
>>
File: 20161201_121257.jpg (7MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_121257.jpg
7MB, 4032x2268px
how is this for casual FNM play at my LGS?
>>
File: disperse.full.jpg (61KB, 200x289px) Image search: [Google]
disperse.full.jpg
61KB, 200x289px
Reminder:

Disperse is still standard legal
>>
>>50483300
>nonland
are there enough cards in standard to make a deck built around bouncing your opponents lands back into their hand causing mana screw and forcing discards?
>>
>>50483344
there are no cards in standard that bounces lands

wizards HATE land interaction
>>
File: Aether+Tradewinds+%5BKLD%5D.jpg (38KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Aether+Tradewinds+%5BKLD%5D.jpg
38KB, 223x311px
>>50483403
>>
>What are you playing?
G/W Humans
>What are you brewing?
G/W Humans to make them survive 'repeatedly blow up the board: the Standard format'
Yes.
No, and I've had the opportunity to open Showdown packs.
>>
File: Sinners BTFO.jpg (375KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
Sinners BTFO.jpg
375KB, 750x450px
They should scrap the Standard Showdown thing and just give those packs out at FNM for standard player either instead of or in addition to the promos. There's no sense splitting attendance across two days when FNM is already dying at many stores.

The packs aren't great but they CAN be which is incentive to show up and play. Instead of garbage FNM promos. At least Fiery Temper has nice art and sees some play though.
>>
I've been trying Standard and it just doesn't satisfy me. What deck can I try that doesnt feel weak or dependent on nut draws to do anything, and isn't busted goodstuff or aggro?
>>
>>50485633
Try to make control then
>>
>>50485633
Have you tried any of the control decks like dynavolt, grixis, jeskai or esper?
>>
>>50485633
mono blue mill with 4x thing in the ice.
>>
Do we think that there will ever be a Standard format again with genuine strategic diversity?

I mean, this format comes pretty close - much closer than Wizards has let any Standard come for a while - but I don't think Aetherworks or other weird Kaladesh-y strategies actually ended up being genuinely close to Tier 1 which is a shame.

>>50485633
Some UR thing probably gonna be fun
>>
>>50485653
>>50485658
>>50485664
I've had pretty bad consistency issues since the only halfway decent card filter is Anticipate. Control in standard isn't _as_ dependent on nut draws but still has problems because it has to rely on narrow counterspells, 3mana counterspells, or Revolutionary Rebuff which is usually a dead draw in late game.
>>
>>50485761
revolutionary rebuff can still be useful in combination with thing in the ice, because even if they pay the 2 mana, it still melts an ice counter.

I'm thinking of something involving blue/green.
4x startled awake
4x thing in the ice
4x minister of inquiries
4x larger than life
4x attune with the aether
4x glimmer of genius
4x blossoming defense
and then the rest is control like appetite for the unnatural and revolutionary rebuff, maybe a torrential gearhulk or two.
>>
>>50479790
This is definitely a casual deck and I probably should have mentioned that. I might get crazy and drop some money on better lands, but I'm wary to drop mad buxxx on torrential gearhulk when I'm not really running a lot of instants/sorceries. Combustible is probably worth considering, since with Pan I can draw a lot of cards. I think I was concerned about red > blue causing me mana issues, but that may be foolish. The 3 Nebelgasts are likely to come out, I was just trying them since they can offer some mild control when I need to stall and they make acceptable chump blockers.

I see why you're concerned with the number of creatures in the deck. However, Panharmonicon isn't in there for ETBs so much as it is for cards like Reckless Fireweaver and Whirler Virtuoso, so that I can repeat triggers ad nauseum. In fact, with any 3 of Decoction, Pan, and Saheeli I can make infinite copters with Whirler, which actually happens pretty often. Saheeli's ultimate isn't often a big deal for me, but her -2 can often serve as an easy wincon. Even with 2/3 I can usually turn a modest amount of energy into a decent pile of copters, which is nice when each one triggers damage, loots, or just feeds into Westvale Abbey.
>>
>>50452770
>What are you playing?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-11-16-wg-angels/

>What are you brewing?
Not much, gathering the sideboard plan I need to hate out various decks

Yes.

Yes, I was the only one to show up so I got all 10 packs including a Liliana and a Tamiyo. This is why I usually go to PPTQs on Saturdays.
>>
>>50483100
pretty bad, you might win one match
>>
Standard needs better removal. More efficient creature removal (that doesn't require casting an Eldrazi), and more things that can hit faces and/or planeswalkers.
>>
>>50489622
Maybe reprint Anger of the Gods in Amonkhet.
>>
>>50489622
It just needs one fucking card that can attack the graveyard
>>
>>50489730
That too. But right now Radiant Flames is about the only viable board wiper other than white stuff like Fumigate (which is 5 mana), and is often unreliable to get up to 3 damage for 1-2 color decks. The most reliable any color mana comes from Aether Hub and you can only pack 4 of them.
>>
>>50488227
cool. I nearly went 2/2 last week, but got mana screwed hard.
>>
>>50489730
Remember all these past years recently where they reprinted Tormod's Crypt and it was fucking useless?

The whole time I was screaming, "Why the fuck are you printing this useless shit when it doesn't do anything". It was like them reprinting Ornithopter before Crypt.
>>
>>50490067
I mean the M15 reprinting you could see as them possibly giving people something to try and fight delve, there were a bunch of cards in that set that alluded to future sets.

But still, just anything to fight Delirium. I'd say Scavenging Ooze but that'd just slot right into the B/G decks perfectly
>>
>>50490155
Every time MaRo gives the excuse that they print presently-useless or always-useless cards to teach players the value of dogshit everyone just takes it at face value and doesn't realize that it's just one more wasted opportunity to print a useful tool.

That's what MaRo would say, "we're teaching players that Crypt is too narrow to fight things like Delve". And it's utter fucking bullshit.

And the reason why they don't print Relic of Progenitus is because "players would be confused at who Progenitus is" even though it's the fucking tool that everyone wants.

So every time some guy sits around and masturbates about "the flavor" being a primary driver of their love of this game, I just want to fucking tell them that the pandering towards them is used as an excuse to make Standard a boring plain environment.

And the funny thing is that flavor has nothing to do with it, it's just a convenient excuse. No, the real reason is that they were happy Relic was a $2 card and they could use it to fill Modern Masters boxes with extra value.
>>
>>50490292
I mean it doesn't necessarily need to be a complete graveyard hose. With Delirium all it needs is an artifact or something that's like "Sac, remove all creature cards from all graveyards" or something like that. I don't know. I'm sure someone will tell me why that's too OP or something but standard just needs SOMETHING
>>
>>50490369
Nuking a graveyard alone is not good enough. Because you still have threats facing you. You have to kill the graveyard and have some kind of bonus like drawing a card or permanently hating out the yard like Leyline. But Rest in Peace is way too powerful for a single card where it both nukes the yard AND keeps it empty.

Either you'll get something in Aether Revolt or Wizards will simply have shit the bed.

To be honest, I'm glad that graveyard strategies work in Standard. Often they print some sort of crippling hate that utterly prevents many mechanics from working.
>>
>>50490444
Yeah I don't think we need a complete graveyard hose like RIP or Leyline but just something that turns off Delirium for a turn or two would be fine.

It is neat when specific strategies actually work in Standard. It'd be nice if Madness worked and the mechanic wasn't full of sub par cards. Maybe if Delirium got weaker.
>>
>>50490469
Well Flashback sucked when it came back and it was primarily for Limited.

I actually figured they would reprint Stonecloaker. It's a Gargoyle, hates on graveyard cards, might protect a guy, and it's not exactly perfect. But then I thought to myself, "No, that's just too fucking smart."
>>
>>50453303
The problem is that Dubious is not something you can really brew in Standard. I've seen it happen in some really janky decks in modern, but that's it.
>>
>>50490618
That still just continues the overload of good cards being in W/B/G
>>
File: 184.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
184.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
I hate this motherfucker.
>>
>>50491627
I hate the price
>>
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/142926367038/so-in-the-delirium-vs-threshold-issue-would-you

He says Delirium was designed to be more complex and increase strategic depth, then failed to print the graveyard removal, even decent selective removal, that would comprise the other half of the equation. Because all delirium needs to do is activate one vessel of nascency and get lucky, or that plus a grapple with the past or flayer trigger or two in most cases, and they've got it. But there's nothing on the other side to remove that one sorcery or whatever in their graveyard, at least not in standard.
>>
>>50491710
Yeah well he's a 4/4 trampler for 2 so enjoy getting scalped.
>>
File: 1480654443425.jpg (62KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1480654443425.jpg
62KB, 421x421px
>EDH gets a thread per day
>Standard thread barely broke 100 messages after 2 days

Standard is really in an all time low, isn't it?
>>
>>50491942
Standard only attracts casual poorfags or good players, and no good players are going to discuss standard on 4chan's traditional games board
>>
>>50491976
Good players are bored of standard.
>>
>>50491150
It's not like we're going to get narrow graveyard-hate cards outside of WBG and artifacts are just usable by everyone. Red and Blue just don't touch those areas.

If this were still Khans we'd have Burn Away - nuke a creature + nuke graveyard for value; or they could print a Pyroclasm variant that also (selectively) bakes the yard.

>>50491942
I started Magic around M10. At this point I almost solely enjoy Magic by interacting with you fuckers here.

In the time I've played this game I have observed that there is absolutely no reason to keep playing this game long-term. And the pros and faces of this community are just lifers - addicts. Every single good person in this game leaves, because they see the anti-consumer bullshit Wizards pulls and they are fucking tired at how those practices foster a community of gambling addicts and shitters who are more interested in paying their rent with Magic cards than playing fucking Magic. And the portion of Magic players who play the game well are often just fucking terrible people. The slim number of good people you need to ensure a warm loving atmosphere leave, they're not idiots, they want to also see other warm loving people.

I count five people I've met in my Magic community who came and left - just REGULAR people with jobs, family, going to (high) school, and not a single offensive thing about them. If those people had stayed I would be happy. I was happy to see them every time they showed up; they either were or could have been keystones of the community. But instead, Magic became a place where I actually dreaded seeing people; more often than not I would be sad seeing terrible people. Other people are happy to see each other, but that's just shit people enjoying the company of shit people; could you believe 4chan is BETTER than that?

Magic in my communities are successful. But it's not a place anybody wants to stay. That's 100% on Wizards for business practices that foster that shit.
>>
>>50492126
Good players play too much fucking Magic. And their opinion is that they get bored of everything when the average person maybe gets to play two decks during a rotation.

These bored people write articles about being bored and then people feel like they're bored when they haven't even remotely played as much Magic as the "pros".

And people parrot an opinion they shouldn't actually feel like, "this set is good to draft" or "this Standard sucks" or "I hate this card, ban it".

These good players are the most outspoken voice but they also represent some tiny fraction of the community. They (stupidly) bought all the cards, they play paper AND MTGO, they go home and burnout on Magic and cry about the stomach ache they got because they ate all the cake in one sitting. And they're the ones crying for new formats when most people haven't exhausted the formats we have.

How can someone who, every three months, cry about boring Standard, Modern, Limited, EDH, and possibly Legacy. Good players that's who - good players who do nothing but eat, drink and sleep Magic.
>>
>>50492377
Pauper/Standard/Commander has been my setup of choice, and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself. Being shit feels good.
>>
>>50455386
Guys I'm from the future and I'm here to spoil a new card from 2020 in a set called Magic Origins: 3 Boogaloo

It's called Utter Damnation and it's super powerful it costs BB2 and it gives all creatures -1/-1 until the end of turn. Talk about a board wipe! To compensate they made it a new rarity called Ghost Rare so aggro and midrange decks don't feel too bad when they get boardwiped
>>
>>50492979
>being this mad that Legacy is stagnant
>>
>>50492979
>minus 1 power
too overpowered, obviously fake
>>
>>50493127
Nah I'm upset because Wizards is buttfucking standard so hard I don't even want to play

They refuse to print any worthwhile boardwipes to make control viable and they refuse to print fast aggressive red creatures and burn to make well burn viable AND of course they don't like combo very much either. So the format is choose which of the 2 midrange faggot decks you wanna play or get obliterated by the same 2 decks.
>>
>>50493259
I think the problem is that the cards are just too good. Fumigate is an excellent sweeper; it just isn't appropriate in this format.

I want to play with shit cards in Standard again. I don't want my "good" red aggressive beaters to be like Ash Zealot, I want them to be Plated Geopede or Zurgo, Bellringer. I want the return of playing dogshit control cards like Sea Gate Oracle or Court Hussar. I think it's criminal that a card like Jhessian Thief (i.e. Thieving Magpie) just isn't good enough because tempo is never coming back because of the past success of Delver (which was a great fucking card that you had to commit to playing).

I want cards like Doom Blade and Murder to be good, but they're not currently because every creature is an absurd piece of value-town that is basically a Titan or a Titan at a lower CMC.

The manlands are trash - a fantastic tool for control, midrange, and aggro alike; Tectonic Edge and Stone Rain are "too good". It's such a fucking midrange shit-show that Llanowar Elves is legitimately too strong because it will ramp you into a fucking 4/4 + value in T2.
>>
Are there any "token factory" cards in Standard? Permanent cards with text like:

>At the start of each turn, summon a 1/1 token

Cards that churn out token creatures every turn. What's the proper terminology for a card like that anyways? I'm largely a Magic noob who just plays with friends and I remember seeing a "token factory" card a long time ago. I think these types of cards are fascinating and I want to build a deck with it.
>>
>>50493421
from beyond
>>
>>50493421
There are always Planeswalkers that crank out a creature every turn. Go onto Gatherer and search for "token" in Standard and you'll find what you need.

"Token factory" is a fine term, everyone will know what you mean. Cards that produce a mess of tokens as a one-off effect are sometimes referred to as "army-in-a-can".
>>
Man, look at all this negativity. Why don't you guys try out Frontier, you're going to be so much happier!
>>
>>50493396
I think Wizards are policing the format way too much. The absurd cards in standard are VERY absurd and forced and the rest just seems like trash.

Like what sort of 3 drop are you planning that is better then a Spell Queller? What 2 drop are you going for that has more going on for it then Grim Flayer.

I was really enjoying the UR fevered visions deck awhile back but not even that can compete right now
>>
>>50455386
>Ajani looking like a hunk as always
Thank you based Wizards.
>>
>>50493598
Decks like Fevered Visions can be more prevalent and add a welcome option to control decks if you just drop 2-4 mana off their cost and you made it really hard to play Naturalize (i.e. not Natural State or Fragmentize) and just utterly NOT let cards like Sorin-Vindicate or Abrupt Decay into the format. Pyromancer Ascension and Birthing Pod were perfectly acceptable Standard cards. Things like Burning Vengeance or River Kelpie were too damn expensive to play for their effect.

I think it's fine if they police things fairly, but they have almost never done it well. It's now, "No good countermagic, don't let any deck that potentially has a name (Affinity or Stasis) get good (as a result Fevered Visions will be crap), lands are untouchable as are cards in hand."
>>
>>50452770

>What are you playing?
4 colour Panharmonicon with guest appearance Eldritch Evolution and Eldrazi Displacer.
>What are you brewing?
B/W Zombies(you get Behind the scenes for Skulk and Anguished Unmaking access. Though currently kinda feels like a bad midrange deck)
Yes. I didn't go last week though as I was too burnt out on playing too much MTG for a while.
>>
I'm taking an afternoon off from work to do the showdown this week. Am I a dumb, y/n?
>>
I am concerned.

I am opening a FLGS in an area with demand and low supply (only one store in 45 minutes in every direction and turning people away at the door for tournaments due to fire hazard, and it's run like shit).

With Standard on the out and out is even investing in large quantities of boxes for the opening even worth it? I know packs move but I've seen buy more sealed product and singles than packs at stores, if anything packs are bought like scratch offs in supplement of a larger purchase and usually only one.

Do you think Wizards will fix Standard? The game sure as hell isn't dying anytime soon, but is this format even worth investing in?
>>
>>50495786
To add: I already own a huge supply of singles for Legacy, EDH, and Modern as well as most of my furniture and a LOT of sealed board games to resell I sniped up from a distributor who went under in the area.

Should I buy a perfect Standard x8 when I open (Q3 2018)?

Do you think it will turn around?

Should I just re-purpose the money I set aside for it and buy something practical like an expanded snack rack from my planned food distributor?
>>
File: shady dudes.png (667KB, 530x740px) Image search: [Google]
shady dudes.png
667KB, 530x740px
>>What are you playing?
UR Fevered Visions
>>What are you brewing?
An sideboard that makes my deck not lose against BR zombie dredge and UW spirits
Indeed it does
Opened a Doving Baan, foil Sanctifier of Souls and a Greenwarden of Murasa in one of the boosters

Anyone else hoping for more Shady Dude Lurking Around The Corner cards in Aether Revolt?
>>
>>50495339
don't bother if your store charges for it like mine.
>>
File: 1379357012035.gif (107KB, 150x75px) Image search: [Google]
1379357012035.gif
107KB, 150x75px
Boy I can't wait for the G/B Delirium vs W/B Flash showdown. Yahoo.
>>
>>50497888
Better than CoCo vs. CoCo.
>>
>>50496249

if those shady dudes help my jank-ass UR standard affinity deck run more smoothly, then yes

i love the deck to pieces but it's a crapshoot whether or not I dump my hand by turn 3
>>
>>50497949

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lypj5YO-Irc
>>
>>50496249
https://deckstats.net/deck-11788335-1d3227dfcd5415aac788cf27750ce386.html
post you're list

I've had the most success across matchups going full draw-go counterdick. Having answers in opening hand for T2-T3 threats ranging from Grim Flayer, to Liliana, to Aetherworks Marvel is essential -- and then you're going to want another universal answer after that. So I've got 12 counterspells all in all, plus 6 burn spells where I've hedged my bets between board wipe, exile and face/planeswalker damage, and Harnessed Lightning.
This also usually means that if I'm on the draw, I won't be playing anything at sorcery speed before turn 4 or 5 unless I have to -- ie they drop a Scrapheap Scrounger or get in a Grim Flayer. Then Fevered Visions is my best friend because it restocks, is an okay clock even with just 1 copy, and eventually draws me a Thing or another Fevered.

I think working Metallurgic Summonings somehow is the way forward from here. It's more value for each thing I cast and better value than Fevered Visions.
>>
How reliant on stalling out the board is UW spirits?

Is Descend Upon the Sinful a viable option?
>>
>>50497888
get on that UR control life boi
it loses to itself sometimes but gearhulk into glimmer is too fun
I want to try jeskai control, nahiri into gearhulk that then bounces itself seems way too fucking dirty
>>
File: 75.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
75.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
When you hear something strange
Whispers of Emrakul
Who you gonna call?
Geistbusters!
>>
>>50499477
If you hit emmy with this does it stop her effect or no?
>>
>>50499620
Yes.
>>
>>50499624
wonderful, thanks
>>
>>50455498
Yahenni's Expertise followed by Flaying Tendrils.
>>
>>50452770
>Standard Showdown
I stopped going to official events because of this bullshit. Its flat discriminatory to the rest of the formats.
>>
>>50499869
wizards hasn't cared about anything other than standard (and kinda modern, but not really) for a long-ass time

how have you not stopped going to events before this
>>
>>50491942
It's more that everyone on /tg/ who visits Magic threads does nothing but bitch like little faggots over prices or cards they hate instead of actually discussing the game, meta and strategy.

Modern players on this board are just masochists and poorfags.
>>
>>50499991
This is the first time they have done these kind of rewards. Well that I know about. Sure you had the game day promos and what not but that was whatever this time they are actually giving out money.
>>
>>50500023
>Giving out Money

Oh yea bro pulled that foil plains out of a Showdown pack really renewed my faith in WOTC
>>
>>50490917
Yeah, the whole flickerwisp angle makes it really neat to try in modern, but I feel like 4 mana (+ if you want to do anything else after) is too steep for something that doesn't necessarily win on the spot.

My current brew is temur for the bounce and Fevered Visions.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dubious-dudes/
I just wish there was better burn in standard to make Goldnight Castigator a better choice. Hopefully Aether Revolt gives us something good.
>>
>>50499999
>bitch like little faggots over prices or cards they hate instead of actually discussing the game
But I thought that was the game?
>>
>>50489823
Trim your 3 drops, maybe add fleetwheel cruiser instead of the 6/1
>>
>What are you playing?

It started off as U/G clue, then it kinda turned into this http://www.mtgvault.com/xxx420xxx360noscopexxx/decks/shit-that-im-currently-playin/

i want to stay true to the clue, but i also want to go more than 1/3 or 1/2/1 etc at my weeklies with this deck. biggest thing i see at my LGS that fucks me over is anything Eldrazi, and exiling. I'm hoping that adding a few more counter spells will do the trick.

>What are you brewing?

W/G lifegain in the work with Felidar Soverign's and Aetherworks Reservoir's, but i can't be fucked to put the effort into that right now.

yeah, i got an animation module, bring to light, and a fucking foil kozilek's pathfinder. at least my casual friend got a new card for his deck.

as far as the deck goes, i'm thinking of making the following changes to try and give it a better feel. is this the right thing to do?

-2 cultivator
-3 illuminator
-2 ongoing investigation
-3 graf mole
+4 copter
+2 disappearing act (maybe 3 and side an insidious will?)
+1 kiora
+3 blossoming defense
>>
>>50495339
i think its 5. which the owner just puts into the prizepool. he doesn't make a dime off of entry fees
>>
>>50502576
What was the original UG clue deck? I was considering making one myself.
>>
>>50501834
don't have flatwheel, which 3 drops should I cut and what kind of things should I replace them with?
>>
Emrakul and cast triggers in general are fucking cancer. Emrakul takes the cake because it's an 8 mana 13/13 with flying, trample, protection from everything in your opponent's hand that isn't Statis Snare, and completely fucks your opponent's hand and board up as a cast trigger.
>>
>>50503126
once i get home i'll type otu what it was originally. it was really just out of cards that i had, so i'm sure that it could be 100x better easily
>>
Just went 2-2 at FNM with UR Control.

>Round 1 (Win, RUG Something)
Easy, the girl I was playing against got screwed on land and I killed her dorks. She ended 2-2 at the end of the night and she's a local so I know her deck is good, she just drew like shit.
>Round 2 (Win, UW Midrange)
A mind melting shitfest. Got crushed game 1, mulled down to 5 game 2 but clawed it back late game because he wasn't really pressuring, game 3 was yet another lategame shitfest. Weaver of Lightning was an absolute MVP. Like holy fuck. Popping a Selfless Spirit by casting a Glimmer that puts my energy up to 5 to activate Dynavolt Tower? That stuff wins games really fucking hard.
>Round 3 (Loss, Pummeler)
Won game 1 after taking 18 in one punch since I stabilized really REALLY hard after that, thought it was going to be easy sailing from there since I just boarded into more removal and Rebuffs. Ended up drawing blue card after blue card and having a bad time.
>Round 4 (Loss, RG Marvel)
This was the point at which I wanted to kill myself. My deck is so vulnerable to Emrakul that it's just painful honestly. Harnessed Lightning kills my Gearhulks and Things, my Towers kill my Jace, my spells counter my spells.

My sideboard is now just 4 Lightning Axe, 4 Fiery Temper, 4 Summary Dismissal, and 3 Weaver of Lightning to deal with the only matchups I consider problematic.
>>
>>50503704
And that's why you pack Summary Dismissal if you're blue.
>>
>>50504392
UR should never lose to marvel
>>
>>50499234
I use Descend against UW flash because they typically won't have a counter outside of Queller and their only way to prevent wipes doesn't work against exile. Once they lose their board, they're done.
>>
>>50504445
I want to take the game late, but late game is where Emrakul crushes. If I can't Summary Dismissal it, I lose. Even if I counter the Emrakul, I'm going to lose my entire board because of how vulnerable I am to a fucked up turn. The UG version is much easier to beat because the only threats come down through Marvel, so Negate is a live card. But the RG version runs Ishkana, which is much tricker to deal with, and feeds its graveyard much better to realistically be able to cast Emrakul for 7-8. There's a big reason the RG version has taken off.
>>
File: 54a.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
54a.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
What's your pet card?
>>
File: 54b.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
54b.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
>>50507777
>>
why is standard sho shit these days? literally why do people play this shit instead of modern or EDH?
>>
File: based siggy.jpg (24KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
based siggy.jpg
24KB, 200x285px
>>50507777
My girl.
>>
>>50507820
Because not everything is dependant on "dies to bolt"
>>
>>50507820
modern is just "ok", EDH is too hugbox, standard is to farm store credit and grind planeswalker points to get GP byes and i get two nights a week of legacy because fuck your shit.
>>
>>50508034
you know like half the shit in modern dies to bolt right? the actual dependant is 3 or less mcm you retard
>>
>>50507777
I have an unhealthy and unrealistic idea of how strong this card actually is.
>>
File: unsub.png (143KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
unsub.png
143KB, 223x311px
>>50508549
and of course I forgot pic
>>
File: 116.png (44KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
116.png
44KB, 230x230px
I just want the Phyrexians to invade Kaladesh because Phyrexian Metamorph is literally -literally- perfect for Aetherflux storm. It's everything I want, and it's an artifact to boot. Only way it could be better would be if it had devoid too.
>>
>>50467587
Yes but they'll never admit it because their business model depends on people opening aprox 110 boosters for every one of those 4x copies of a mythic anyone who wants to play competitively absolutely needs to have.
>>
so I have won my 7th straight FNM in a row and have amassed around $500 in store credit

what should I do with it?
>>
>>50509672
Set it on fire in front of the store owner to show you understand stores struggle and you feel bad about taking money out of their pocket.

And maybe, your charitable act will make your store a better place by showing others that even stores deserve a break for supporting the most-effort-for-minimal-return game that is Magic.
>>
>>50509749
>store charges for events
>distribute portion of the entry fee as prize money for store credit only
>keep the rest as profit
>somehow they lose money from this

no thanks
I think I'm gonna get a foil force of will
or maybe a foil jace
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.