[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best roleplaying games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1457284672187.jpg (257KB, 992x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1457284672187.jpg
257KB, 992x1500px
What is your favorite RPG and whom and why would you recommend it?

Mine's Warhammer Fantasy 2e, because I love the setting, that's a mixture of fantasy, horror and satire/comedy. Also I am a huge fan of the magic system (with a very small change) because it's dangerous and magic isn't the easy solution to anything. The rules are easy and deadly, character creation is fast.

I'd recommend it anyone who wants to play a gritty fantasy game that doesn't take itself too seriously.
>>
File: 1436247761936.jpg (316KB, 1379x889px) Image search: [Google]
1436247761936.jpg
316KB, 1379x889px
Bumpedy
>>
>>50449549
My favourite is Monsterhearts

I guess I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys more social-oriented games and is willing to play the genre a little tongue-in-cheek
>>
>>50449549
Savage Worlds. Simply because it's simple and crunchy enough.
>>
>>50450211
and what is it about?
>>
>>50449549

For pure Beer and Pretzels, Everyone is John
If you like inter-personal drama, Monsterhearts
If you like personal drama, Dogs in the Vineyard
If you like purely tactical gaming, 4e
If you like using a system that allows a lot of different playstyles at the same table, 5e.
If you're sick of D&D: Cypher System/Numenera/The Strange

Overall recommendation: 5e. It's a solid dungeon-crawler with no glaring weaknesses and a knack for not getting in your group's way.
>>
>>50450520
It is about supernatural beings dealing with teenage bullshit whilst also dealing with supernatural bullshit which is a metaphor for other teenage bullshit
>>
5e.

It's the most balanced version of D&D which takes the best aspects from previous editions.

I also like Vampire: the Masquerade but that's just personal preference. I recognise that the system has flaws.
>>
>>50451522
Ive never heard of monster hearts and picture it like Cheers cast with horrors

>hey frank
Hey Jim
>how life been?
Not the best jim. A bunch of teenagers broke into the mansion again.
>no shit? Theyre getting braver every year. You scare them off?
Yeah. Barely, but I did.
>you use the float up behind them and make the flashlight flicker trick?
Yeah... They laughed it off. Called it some "Scooby doo shit"
>jesus frank thats terrible. You know what? Next time they swing by let me know. I'll do some howling and pop a tire on their car.
Thanks Jim. It means alot. With all these bloody slasher movies pumped full of jump scares there isnt room for good old fashion horror.
>you could always move out to the swamp. Mark and the rest of the swamp things moved up to Washington after he retired retire.
*sigh* thanks but Vampires dont live in swamps jim.
>Traditionally, they dont. What if we started a new rumor?
Last time you did that some asshole tried to stab me with the leg from my favorite chair.
>heh that was a good one.
>>
>>50451522
yeah, I'll pass on that one
>>
>>50449549
I like GURPS the best, overall.

I like FFG Star Wars in the mechanical sense, very fun and lends itself to roleplaying.

I like Anima's wide availability of viable options for characters of any type.

I like cWoD's simplicity and setting.

I like Eclipse Phase for its worldbuilding and noncombat focus.

I love that all of these games allow you to spend your XP to buy whatever you want, and that there are no awful, pig headed mechanics like alignment.
>>
>>50450901
I like one last job for beer and pretzels, doesn't need any prep at all because the whole plot is made by all the players together, piece for piece.
>>
I don't think I can say any of the games I like are the "best".

Right now I quite like Strike!. It puts gameplay first, and does it shamelessly. I wonder if I'll grow out of it like the other games I fell for before.
>>
File: tumblr_o23fhokWjb1suogq6o4_1280.jpg (299KB, 1280x1067px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o23fhokWjb1suogq6o4_1280.jpg
299KB, 1280x1067px
>>50453876
it's not about THE best or something but about what game is your favorite and why you like it / what it's selling point is
>>
File: tumblr_naie15bNIK1suogq6o7_1280.jpg (447KB, 1280x922px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_naie15bNIK1suogq6o7_1280.jpg
447KB, 1280x922px
last bump before bedtime
>>
>>50449549
Runequest, it's fluid. There are no classes, it's set in the magnificent world of Glorantha, combat is easy yet exiting and dangerous and magic is quick and fun.

Also there are no levels you just gain skill increases for your skills by using them.
>>
GURPS, Rifts, and d20 Modern are my favorites. But I wouldn't recommend any of them.
>>
>>50455436
kek
stay classy, m80
Mine is MERP, but that too draws hate, so i hesitate to recommend it (even tho it does middle earth better than any other game: so there!).

oh captcah that's a shed!
>>
Fantasy Craft. It fills me with joy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.