[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate My Pally /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hey /tg/ I've never really posted anything here before but I was encourage to. I'd like to know your honest opinions on my Paladin Character concept.

Here goes!

The results from running him through the Mary sue test
http://katfeete.net/writing/sue.php

Score Breakdown
Mirror, Mirror: Do I Know This Guy? 2
Beware the Monks of Cool: You Mean Plaid Is Out? 6
'Tis Your Destiny: Plain Joe 3
Oh, the Trauma: Can't Complain 6
Momma Loves Me Best: Momma HATES Him! 0
Total: 17
Conceptually --
>What he is :

Racial: Half elf base, with Aasimar Template. Solar descendant.
Religious: Tends to follow the sun gods [depending on setting] gods of hope and mercy.
Conceptually: Paladin of Mercy.
Visually he's 7'0'' with a 'solid' build. Long white hair blue eyes and wings though they appear white at first offer a prismatic sheen.
Back ground wise when he was young his mother couldn't afford to keep him and essentially sold him over / gave him to a man of Gentry to work as a page from the age of 5.

He was not the only page and had and older boy to look up to and learn from. Eventually another younger one came along. In his mid teens he begins to serve as a squire to this gentry. Near his later teens his sire fell on the battle field and from then on he ensured his sire's estate was taken care of as well as his family before moving on to join a chapterhouse for his religion. Personality I see him being a very hopeful character who belies people can change and who is willing to help those that show they are trying / willing to work at self improvement. His charismatic demeanor is awkward- When his wings grew in he hadn't known what they were and initially tried pulling out the growths thinking he may have been diseased. He's a bit of a book worm and likes to research things. His MO is aiding others and being of use.
>>
>>50447482
honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think. Yeah, he's seven foot tall and has fucking prismatic wings, that's a bit weird and screams special snowflake, but who cares? If it fits the tone of the game it fits the tone of the game.

If this thread was just to post this mary sue thing, why didn't you just do that?
>>
>>50447536
I'm honestly interested in what people think makes a 'good paladin'. I've been told by a certain select few that the concept of a Paladin that offers Mercy doe snot make for a paladin. Then again I designed him to fit the noble bright sort of setting.

The way I see it I like to think Paladin is a perfectly viable concept with a redeemer's mindset IE: A Redeemer's Mind Set
Associates A redeemer may ally with an evil creature as long as she feels the creature is capable of redemption. A redeemer may accept henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are not lawful good provided they demonstrate they are willing to follow her and seek betterment under her tutelage.

The Book of Exalted Deeds states that a Good character must not fall prey to falling in to denying mercy. If they surrender you should take care of the accordingly.
It explains how if you don't show them that they can be accepted welcomed if they change their ways they will feel isolated and assuredly slip back to old ways to feel accepted. He often times tries to use how he treat some one as a means of showing them they can be accepted that there is hope and he's willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and help the along the way. He tries to make it so they feel like they can confide in him and tries to build on that feeling to help support the change.

Visually I wanted him to be painfully awkward and obvious, so he's terrible at disguise or hiding and those sorts of things.
>>
>>50447648
I would say a Paladin isn't about mercy, specifically. They are capable of granting it, but that isn't the focus.

Instead, a Paladin is about Justice, but can also be about redemption. If a Bandit surrenders to a Paladin, they have to be willing to pay penance for their crimes, and work to redeem themselves. The time mercy is unwarranted is when it's clear that the act of surrender is less out of guilt or a possible change of heart, and more as a last selfish attempt to prolong their life and possibly escape later. In those instances, it is perfectly reasonable for the Paladin to fulfill his role as Judge, Jury, and Executioner.

Still, I would say if you go down this road, you want to think a bit in the mindset of a TV cop. You bring the hammer down hard on ringleaders and assholes, but give more favorable outs to those punk kids who got swept up in something because they don't know better.

Again, it all really boils down to justice and prevention. The punishment must fit the crime, but you also can't give a weak punishment for someone who won't learn their lesson.
>>
>>50447482
It's all in the execution.
If you're worrying about your character being a sue you've already done half the work.
The other half IMO is to give him a couple clear goals and traits so he has a thicker personality and you have a canvas to his reactions that allows you not to roleplay as yourself.

>His MO is aiding others and being of use.
Currently it seems that's he could become a bit of a transparent yesman. I suggest you give him something that makes him tick, some limits he wouldn't cross, that sort of thing.
>>
>>50447842
>>50448833
Both of these are sound.
I had a paladin that was FAR worse than OP's in every possible way I could think of, but it worked because I didn't mention the odd things about him, when asked about it answered flatly and to the point, and acted as the role of the enabler of good things and a example of how to be a better person.
My crowning achievement wasn't the dragons I killed, or the demons I banished, or the lich I smote, it was getting a frost giant, at the executioner's block, to honestly recant his life of evil. And it was fucking genuine, I used everything in my power to ascertain if he was trying to ruse me.
But he fucking meant it, he really did. I stayed the executioner's hand, untied the bound giant, and led him to a barn outside the city and just... talked. I asked him why, if he feel guilt in his heart over the life he led, did he continue it. He looked at me, shrugged, and said simply, "There is another way to live?". I told him there was, and if he would put up with me, I could show it to him. I gave him my name, and he gave me his, and the end result was a frost giant paladin named Goliath Evilbane.
I was proud of him.
>>
>>50447482
Why did he become a paladin of Mercy? Just curious, I see nothing particularly merciful in his past actions.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.