[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to play my first D&D game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: HowDoesOneWin.jpg (431KB, 3000x1687px) Image search: [Google]
HowDoesOneWin.jpg
431KB, 3000x1687px
How do I win?

I'm just kidding. My question is how do I get the most enjoyment from D&D?

If it helps I'm a human with a longsword and a bow, I'm a folkhero, but not noble. I think I'm better than I probably am. Would it help to post a few stats?
>>
Most likely by going back and picking a better system.
>>
>>50445199
thats /tg/'s answer to everything

stop being a negative nancy you asshole
>>
>>50445111
play dungeon world or world of dungeons
>>
>>50448356
this guy is right. dumping WoDu shit
>>
>>50448356
>>50448644
>>
>>50448356
>>50448644
>>50448656
>>
>>50448356
>>50448644
>>50448656
>>50448664
>>
Don't listen, Dungeon World is a garbage game. D&D isn't great but at least it isn't fucking Dungeon World
>>
Don't listen, D&D is a garbage game. Dungeon World isn't great but at least it isn't fucking D&D
>>
Dungeon World is narrative garbage for hipsters and queers.

D&D is a fine introduction to roleplaying. It's how most people got started.
>>
File: 1466092373180.jpg (42KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1466092373180.jpg
42KB, 480x433px
>>50445111
To actually answer OP instead of shitposting;
> Combat
Assuming 5th edition D&D combat will probably be pretty boring. There's not much you'll be doing except for move and attack and tactical decisions will rarely come up. So do your best and describe how you're attacking and what you're doing so it doesn't get boring for you or the group. Also try to think up your turn before it comes up so you don't waste a minute or so thinking about what you even want to do. Though it's not as bad if you're playing a martial in the first place.

>General:
Actually think about your character's details. Who are his parents? Where is he from? Why did he go out adventuring? What does he dislike? What does he fear? These are the absolute minimums you should have covered.

When I first started playing with my group most people didn't fill in the details and had somewhat bland characters. I'd assume this is a common occurence. Once I actually suggested 20 "questions" for the others to fill out for their character the roleplay quality went up tremendously.

>General campaign stuff
Don't let the GM lead you through the campaign. This was another issue we had in the first few campaigns we played. Players just more or less blindly followed the red herrings the DM threw out. Investigate what's going on in a town, what their culture is, what the people want. This might hit the DM by surprise the first time if he hasn't fleshed things out fully, but atleast for the next session he'll know he needs to think about the finer details aswell.

Follow your own motivations. If you wish, try to do something completely different if it makes sense and the party agrees. Maybe not try to legalize gay marriage while the super lich threatens the kingdoms.
>>
File: 1376266136691.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1376266136691.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>50449999
>Maybe not try to legalize gay marriage while the super lich threatens the kingdoms.

Checked and keked
>>
>>50449999
>Once I actually suggested 20 "questions"
Care to share these?
>>
>>50449999
>Assuming 5th edition D&D combat will probably be pretty boring.
Compared to what, other D&D editions? >implying

OP, your imagination is the limit. The abilities written down on your character sheet are only the starting off point, you can come up with anything. Do shit with the environment. Ride the dragon. The spellcasters have a lot of spells to get creative with, so as a martial you will have to make more of an effort to not go with "i walk up and attack" every time and make yourself bored. Climb, jump, disarm, do heroic shit.
>>
>>50445400
>thats /tg/'s answer to everything
It's mostly just /tg/'s answer to "how do I fix D&D"
>>
>>50448736
>Dungeon World is narrative garbage for hipsters and queers.
Don't you mean "numales and cucks"? Get your buzzwords right, shill!
>>
File: 1454191481950.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1454191481950.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
>>50450176
Some of them overlap depending on how you answer them. In general they are just meant as a push to make people think about making their characters more flavourful. Leaving out the unimportant ones like Name, Age, etc;

1. What is the initial impression of your character, what strikes out the most?
2. What is the general description of your character? What does he tend to wear?
3. What is your character's mannerism? For example, is he friendly, reserved or well-spoken?
4. Who raised your character and how was he raised?
5. Who is his family? Is he in contact with them?
6. What moral code does your character follow?
7. What are your characters goals?
8. Why did your character start adventuring?
9. Does your character follow a religion? If so, how does he follow it?
10. Does your character have any personality quirks? For example hidden insecurities.
11. Does your character have any distinguishing marks?
12. What does your character hate?
13. What does your character fear?
14. What does your character enjoy?
>>
>>50450308
Thanks, can never have too many of these
>>
>>50445111

Roleplay. Believe you are your character as much as you can. Believe the other players are their characters, treat them like they are. Don't overact, but don't underact either. If other player's aren't roleplaying, force them into it by asking specific things about their character. Make small talk. Ask them where they got their weapons from. Make comments about the halfling / dwarf being short. Ask them where they came from. Complain about the barbarian's smell.

Either you get immersed as your character in the world and it's amazing, or you don't. Don't be too quick too assume error on your part. If something about the game bothers you, bring it up with the gm or question in polite conversation afterwards. If the game improves, great, if it doesn't, consider leaving. There are a lot of shit GMs and players out there, don't waste your precious time being a sidekick to the DM's 'DMPC'. Just find a good group and have fun.

I hope your group works out well!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.