[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 48

File: OSR Logo 2.jpg (358KB, 2363x1575px) Image search: [Google]
OSR Logo 2.jpg
358KB, 2363x1575px
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, free RPGs, trove etc.
http://pastebin.com/0pQPRLfM

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread
>>50355714
>>
File: Treasure table.png (517KB, 1523x1141px) Image search: [Google]
Treasure table.png
517KB, 1523x1141px
>>
>>50426212
Nice table.
>>
File: !cockatrice.jpg (331KB, 1116x600px) Image search: [Google]
!cockatrice.jpg
331KB, 1116x600px
>>50425350
What's the difference between the Red Hack, the Old School Hack and the Black Hack?
>>
>>50426567
Red Hack and Old School Hack are similar, Black Hack only has a similar name(indeed it has more similarities with Whitehack then it does with those two)

at least going off memory
>>
Anyone know some good slavic-inspired settings?
>>
>>50426869
Except for Fever-Dreaming Marlinko and basically everything else from Hill Cantons nothing comes to mind. Every bit of Kutalik's 'Hill Cantons news' posts is on point though, can confirm as a slav.
>>
So after taking the feedback I got from last thread I decided to really work up my game system here and iron out a bunch of the kinks. I think it is in a much better place now, though I'd like feedback for this updated version to perfect it.
>>
>>50426969
>Hill Cantons
>Well, sure, I-

In the gaol cell I sit,
Thinking glaive-guisarme, of you,
And our bright slumbering home so far away,
And the tears drip my snout
'Spite of all that I can do,
Tho' I try to cheer my comrades and grunt hurray.

Brump! Brump! Brump!
The war-bears are mar-chin'
Cheer up cubs here we come!
And beneath the starry paw
We shall smell the blessed honey again
In the free dunes of Medved's sandy home.

In the battle's van we stood
When their horsey charge they made
And they swept us off
A hundred bearlings or more
But before they reached our phalanx
They were beaten back, dismayed
And we heard the roar of victory o'er and o'er

Brump! Brump! Brump!
The war-bears are mar-chin'
Cheer up cubs here we come!
And beneath the starry paw
We shall smell the blessed honey again
In the free dunes of Medved's sandy home.

>Uh, what?
>>
So, what are you sick of seeing in the OSR?
>>
>>50428221

Vancian magic.
>>
>>50428221
Yet another rule system copy that doesn't do anything really new when other systems exist already.
>>
>>50428221
OSR settings that are generally so low fantasy and human focused that there really isn't any point in running them with an actual OSR system, many of them would make more sense as BRP/Runequest settings(Red Tide is one of the worst offenders here), indeed a lot of them are so barely fantasy in nature it'd make more sense to just run a historical setting at that point(Dark Albion is especially guilty of this in my opinon)

this mostly applies to published OSR settings though, plenty of ones on the blogs and forums that are properly fantastical

also systems that when they bother including rules for playing as non-humans tend to have them so underpowered that there really isn't any point in playing one compared to playing as a human(or sometimes an Elf or Dwarf)
>>
>>50428221
The same spells (magic missiles, web, fireball, etc.) with slightly tweaked names.

I'd like to see some really weird magic based on the Blue Adept series, or Elric's mighty magics, or anything new.
>>
>>50428234
>>50428467

STEAL THAT SHIT
STRAIGHT UP
FROM HARRY POTTER
>>
>>50428467
more new magic would be nice, although if it's a core book it probably should have most of the old standbys as well(same with monster selection)
>>
>>50428337
I think that in part that there was a lot of OSR settings published that where low fantasy since most published material was high fantasy.
>>
>>50428467
Gurps magic spell list from 3rd edition has a lot of fun spells since the ones that you fear are not the same.

In Gurps spells like dehydrate are the bane.

Or you can use the ideas of Carcosa to give a view of magic that is very not D&D.
>>
>>50428646
doesn't mean most of them aren't still awful
>>
File: The Wizard by Richey Beckett.jpg (678KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The Wizard by Richey Beckett.jpg
678KB, 1200x1600px
>>50428467
Seriously. I want Wigmere's Tremulous Expulsion or The Odaini Concussion Cant.
If I see another Magic Missile, I'm going to flip.
>>
>>50428250
lol, but when something like DCC comes along half the crowd flips their shit.
>>
Do you think its possible to convince my players to play OSR instead of 5e? They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.

I'm scared of rule changes too, I didn't grasp 5e rules really well yet, but I think a simpler system could make the game better
>>
>>50428879
I like DCC
>>
>>50426567
The Black Hack is an Into the Odd hack that ressembles D&D more. I think it fails at what it tries to do, in the same way Dungeon World failed at using both D&D and Apocalypse World. Into the Odd is close enough with D&D as it is, adding sacred cows to it doesn't improve it, and D&D is already great as it is.

The Red Hack I don't know about.

The Old School Hack uses d12 mechanics, has playbooks, and is a 2nd generation OSR/Storygame mix in a good way. Check it out, it's free.

>>50428221
People having prejudiced ideas about games they don't know enough to judge. Either you become a fucking scholar or D&D with all the things that are out there for you to read, learn and try, or you just talk about what you enjoy instead of spreading bullshit around like some toxic tumblrist.

>>50428879
I don't like DCC's rules, but I read Hubris recently and I gotta say, I fucking love the overdose of tables. It's a lot of work, and it's super-gameable. For that I have DCC to thanks.

Do you guys like AP report? I like reading AP reports, and always find there's not enough out there. Yet I tried to write down today's game after it was over, and realized it's actually quite hard to write it in an entertaining way that would be enjoyable by people who weren't there. Anyone knows the secret?
>>
>>50428883
Of course. If you don't want PCs to die too much, you can either teach them how to survive, or put some learning wheels, like death at -10hp or the likes.

For Heroic adventuring, I start out PCs with 10.000XP in Delving Deeper/OD&D, with 6hp for their first level (the 3 or 4 next levels, depending on class, are rolled for normally). I also let them Save vs Death when reaching 0hp.
>>
>>50428883
Switch them to 2e with all the splats (note that this requires you to know which options are bullshit good, and which are shit), then slowly strip books out until you're just left with the core, and then you can go from there.
>>
>>50429892
AD&D 2e is a good game, but it is far harder to grasp than 5e IMO. Wouldn't he be more comfortable with a 2nd or 3rd wave game, like DCC, LotFP or ACKS?
>>
>>50428883
>Do you think its possible to convince my players to play OSR instead of 5e?
>They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.
To be frank with you, no.
>>
>>50429892

That is a terrible idea. 2e is bad enough with just the Players Handbook, thanks to the completely inconsistent way attributes are handled, coupled with non-weapon proficiencies and the fact that XP for Treasure is an optional rule.

And I say that as a fag who likes 2e.

The huge number of splats add many subsystems, many of which are not good and only complicate the system in bad ways (Psionicists Handbook for example).

This is terrible advice, don't follow it.

>>50428883

You should try to introduce them to Basic Fantasy RPG. Google it. It's free, and has a lot of downloadable content to extend it. If you end up wanting to add more to it, you can add stuff from other editions (AD&D 1 and 2e, other B/X inspired stuff like Lamentations of the Flame Princess) and you might even be able to back port some content from 3rd edition and 5th edition if you really want to.

>they don't like dying

They're either going to have to get used to it, or you should really just stick with 5e or change to some other non-D&D heroic fantasy RPG.
>>
>>50429849
>Dungeon World failed at using both D&D and Apocalypse World

I'd beg to differ, though I don't want to go beating that dead horse in any detail.
>>
File: death checks.png (84KB, 1049x803px) Image search: [Google]
death checks.png
84KB, 1049x803px
>>50428883
>They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.
Yeah, that's not going to work. OSR tends to be relatively deadly, and though there are ways to address this (see pic), the "lots of options" issue is still going to sink you. OSR games tend to be light on character-building mechanics and enshrined combat options (relying on more on character background and GM improvisation), and those with more complex mechanics will probably to be harder to grasp than 5e rather than easier (on account of being more ad hoc and "all over the place").

If you can get past the player concerned about options, then I'd suggest a Moldvay Basic (B/X) clone like Basic Fantasy or Labyrinth Lord (or Moldvay Basic, itself) as a nice, light game to play. You might also want to check out something like Barbarians of Lemuria if you want a swords & sorcery game that's simpler than D&D, though not specifically focused on dungeon-crawling.
>>
File: D&D and Retroclone Tree.gif (641KB, 3992x3536px) Image search: [Google]
D&D and Retroclone Tree.gif
641KB, 3992x3536px
bump
>>
>>50428883
I haven't had any trouble with convincing mine. Maybe because even though some want options, they're absolutely shit at managing them. Sometimes you just know better, it's the truth. You're running the game, after all.

Personally I like Ambition & Avarice, which does several nifty things with classes / races and provides enough mechanical differentiation while staying firmly OSR. It also has nice layout and it's only 98 pages long.
>>
>>50432316
LotFP is closer to Holmes & Greyhawk in design than it is to Mentzer or Moldvay. The first edition is called Deluxe, and the third is called LotFP Rules & Magic.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea isn't an OD&D clone, it's an AD&D 1 2nd wave neo-clone.

I think a distinction should be made between OD&D LBBs and OD&D as LBB + Supplements, which look more like AD&D than White Box.

Also there's Full Metal Plate Mail that comes from LBBs.

It's Hulks & Horrors, not Horrors & Hulks. It spawned WARBAND!, among other things.

There's also Small but Vicious Dog! which is WFRP + B/X.

It's pretty complete and neat though.
>>
>>50433234
>LotFP is closer to Holmes & Greyhawk

Seen this meme a few times now and I don't get it. It's obviously depowered and cleaned up Mentzer. What exactly makes it like Holmes or Greyhawk supplement?
>>
>>50432316
>OD&D ----> Dungeon World
No. Just no.
>>
File: Wizard lightning rod.jpg (158KB, 1024x863px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard lightning rod.jpg
158KB, 1024x863px
I'm feeling mildly inspired and OSR is catching my attention today.

Tell me to write some magic system stuff for either;
>Mystic, Gonzo Hermetic Spells with a traditional Vancian spell-slot system
>Artificer-based magic system where Wizards replace their 'spells' with useful 'enchantments' and consumable items.
>Entirely new magic system based on small but unlimited magical abilities and utility spells, inspired by Harry Potter

Which one do you want to see the most?
>>
>>50433392
The way spell research and scrolls are handled in LotFP is essentially the way Holmes did it. And Holmes re-worked Greyhawk/LBBs. B/X & BECMI magic-users can't do much aside from using their one or two spells and gaining a number of spells equal to what they can cast at any given point. They get scrolls at high level.
Vance has wizards who go around carrying a fuckton of scrolls and books. Just like LotFP. Just like Holmes.

Holmes & Greyhawk have some to-hit bonus, and almost nothing in the way of damage bonus. LotFP has to-hit bonus in the same scale, but no damage bonus.

B/X and BECMI have to-hit and damage bonus in the same scale, which is kind of an over simplification, too.

Holmes is Weird/Gonzo. Greyhawk is Weird/Gonzo. LotFP is Weird/Gonzo.

Moldvay and Mentzer are more "vanilla".

Molvay and Mentzer are aiming for kids and teens. Holmes, Greyhawk and LotFP are aiming for young adults and older players.

"It's obviously depowered and cleaned up Mentzer" ? LotFP has some of the strongest 1st level PCs around. People seem to keep forgetting that *before B/X and BECMI*, your THAC0 was shit and stayed terrible until you were either very high level, or mid level Fighting-Man. LotFP's way, giving a bonus to Fighters only, while still being overpowered compared to Greyhawk and Holmes, is at least consistent with those games, whereas B/X and BECMI are more keen on making everyone bad at fighting at low level, and everyone good at fighting at high level.

Also, Fighters getting a huge to-hit bonus is intended to have the same effect as Original Edition Fighting-Men attacking a number of Normal-Types (1 to 2HD) equal to their HD as 1HD Fighting-Men while keepnig in mind the difference in design where LotFP has only one big monster, whereas OD&D has groups of less big monsters.

Also, it's not a "meme". The meme if we were to call it that way, is the idea that LotFP is a B/X clone, which is the most commonly admitted simplification.
>>
File: 866917693.jpg (134KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
866917693.jpg
134KB, 591x591px
>>50433392
Also, please forgive me if I sound salty, I am sleep deprived and not sure how my text voice sounds to others right now. I was aiming for "informative", in case it doesn't show.
>>
Last session was pretty roleplaying heavy as my one player talked to her Council and set forth plans for the province she's setting up. Then she ended up impressing the hell out of the new immigrants to her new city with a display of divine might.

Then she rolled on over the next town and resolved a social problem through brute force JUSTICE, then she got things ready for the dungeon crawl next session.

Dice were rolled a grand total of 3 times in 3 hours.

I'm a new gm so I'm concerned, am I somehow doing things wrong? I mean, we both totally had fun, and I'm slightly horrified at/totally enjoying how she's now casually using divine power so I liked the session, but still.

I'm concerned because I once read dungeon world and that game kept pushing making the players life hell and never giving them a non complicated success. And it seemed to encourage rolling.

The system is Godbound btw.
>>
>>50428221
Low Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery/Death Trap Dungeons/Weird Fantasy

Gimme some High Fantasy instead please.
>>
>>50433653
>Molvay and Mentzer are aiming for kids and teens. Holmes, Greyhawk and LotFP are aiming for young adults and older players.
Isn't it the other way around? Holmes basic was created by Holmes literally to teach his kids to play D&D because the original books are so vaque. Nothing in Moldvay feels like it's specifically meant for kids. I have no clue where this assumption that Moldvay is aimed at kids came from. For some reason it keeps on appearing time and time again.

Mentzer is probably the one that's actually meant to be read primarily by young people.
>>
so, I'm writing up Horrible Wound charts for what happens when you hit 0 hitpoints. So far, I've got physical injuries, burning (including acid etc) and pestilence (including poison etc). Any other stuff I should consider?
>>
>>50433727

You gonna define fucking any of those?
>>
>>50433705
>Dice were rolled a grand total of 3 times in 3 hours.
no that sounds good. Dice are an abstraction for when you can't solve things through common sense.
>dungeon world and that game kept pushing making the players life hell and never giving them a non complicated success. And it seemed to encourage rolling.
That was dungeon world. OSR stuff like godbound is a different set of expectations. If she's playing smart and succeeding, great! If you don't need to roll dice (or even refer to the rules much), great!
Dungeon World GMing advice is great for DW games, less so for games with different expectations.
>>
>>50433788
Check out Courtney Campbell's "On a Table for Avoiding Death". It's in the trove, DM resources folder.

>>50433653
>>50433669
Nah, no salt detected, thanks for explanation. I know shit about Greyhawk and Holmes so me calling it meme is pretty tongue-in-cheek.
>>
File: Random Fantasy races animu.jpg (314KB, 900x1436px) Image search: [Google]
Random Fantasy races animu.jpg
314KB, 900x1436px
So as I was working on my game that doesn't include races as classes I began to think about what sort of races I wanted to include in the setting and got kinda frustrated or stuck.

Then I thought; hey, why not steal an idea I was using for my sci-fi game anyway? As in- race is entirely cosmetic in the game world, players are just supposed to build their race around whatever stats they have. So if you have high dexterity and constitution; you can be a agile lizardman from the swamps because you're resistant to disease and all that. Makes sense right?

I just wonder if that sort of thing is good for a High Fantasy game world- anyone else think it would be a good addition?
>>
>>50433727
>Gimme some High Fantasy instead please.
hey, let's go a step beyond that. Give me prog-rock-album-covers levels of crazy ass psychadelic fantasy. I want my kung-fu powered priest of solitude to use a whip made of the tears of massacred innocents to beat the shit out of the cosmic personification of taxation. I want a team of psyche-spelunkers to pull a heist in the dreamscape of a stillborn god so they can steal the secret to perfect opium distillation.
>>
>>50433784
Holmes assumes you know about OD&D and will know about AD&D, both of which are written with adults in mind, even though they mention that any players of 12+ of age can enjoy the game.

Moldvay explains things in a way that non-gamers can understand easily without reference to prior work, a feat that I haven't seen achieved in a lot of early D&D games. It also lowers the age to 10+, but after checking my copy for proof, I have to say it was an extrapolation on my part to say Moldvay is designed specifically for kids.

I'm not sure about Mentzer though, don't have a copy at hand here.

>>50433845
I'm one of these dying breeds that actually prefer OD&D to Classic D&D, so I can get a bit retarded about it sometimes.

>>50433877
Carcosa + Narcosa + Everything by Hydra Collective + Hubris + Fire on the Velvet Horizon!
>>
>>50433862
I like this idea. I usually go even dumber myself though : with OD&D, anybody can play any of the monster race, usually by adding a few rules in the same way the demihumans that are already there are just small additions to the humanocentric classes.
>>
>>50433877
I would play that.

Gotta say, I'm not opposed to high fantasy in OSR, high fantasy as if in "high powered colourful governed by rule of cool fantasy". It's just it's incredibly bland usually. It should be really weird and / or over-the-top for me to entertain the idea.

>>50433705
Everything works as intended. Dungeon World is very into the idea of constant conflict but it's much more emergent in traditional games and OSR specifically. Rules fade into the background until they're needed, so rolls should make an impact. But clear success is totally fine and within the expectations, just as a clear failure.
>>
File: Warband!.png (581KB, 466x603px) Image search: [Google]
Warband!.png
581KB, 466x603px
So, I'm not a big 40k guy, but this is /tg/, so I'm going to drop this one here.

Warband! is a Black Crusade OSR that actually make it sound fun to play (to me, 40k games usually sound kinda too-much).
It's based off Hulks & Horrors, which is kind of its own thing.
>>
>>50433995
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
>>
>>50433995
An actual link would be more useful.
>>
I wish I could just grab a lot of DnD newbies and run a wirder homebrew setting for them. Every time I try to do it with veterans, they're weirded out by the lack of familiar tropes.
>>
>>50434214
Well why can't you? Newbies are exceptionally cool to introduce to any sort of weirdness you can imagine. They go apeshit for gonzo in my experience.
>>
File: Overkill.png (82KB, 1034x777px) Image search: [Google]
Overkill.png
82KB, 1034x777px
>>50434084
You're welcome.

>>50434201
You are right.
ache tee tee pee : slash slash swordplusone dot blogspot dot fr slash 2014 slash 04 slash warband dot ache tee el em

>>50434214
I love noobs. They're like clay, ready to be shaped, and they get super excited at all those new things and you get to relive your own excitement through their discovery.
>>
File: Dungeon Delvers.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dungeon Delvers.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Asking again
a) what are some neato system/setting agnostic resources to spice up my games and add some capital W Weird to them? My current list is as follows:
>The Dungeon Dozen
>Yoon-Suin The Purple Land
>Slumbering Ursine Dunes
>Realms of Crawling Chaos
>Teratic Tome
>Lusus Naturae
>Broken System 0th ed.

and b) What are some tiny, several-page long OSR games? Again, what I do have now is:
>1974 Style
>Microlite20
>Searchers of The Unknown
>Into the Odd
>Beyond the Wall
>Maze Rats
>World of Dungeons
>Dungeon Delvers (a real piece of crap if you ask me, though, have a look)
>>
>>50433472
The first one.
>>
>>50434242
Anything by Hydra Collective. Hubris. Fire on the Velvet Horizon. Goblinpunch blog. False Machine blog.

Add HQRPG to the list of tiny games. It's a storygame with an OSR design. It's more OSR than World of Dungeon, but it's also more clearly from Storygames.
>>
>>50434242
>>
>>50433472
You mean respectively Wonders & Wickedness, Into the Odd's Arcanum and the 500+ list of cantrips by some guy on /tg/?
>>
Anyone know a supplement similar to Petty gods that handles bigger, proper, deities, but also takes its time explaining their personalities and quirks?
>>
>>50434380
Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, Supplement IV for Dungeons & Dragons.
>>
File: Batman TAS - Harvey Bullock.jpg (53KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Batman TAS - Harvey Bullock.jpg
53KB, 1200x675px
>>50434214

Depends on the veteran, but a lot of them are stuck in their ways about "this is how things are expected to be".

One of players is also a GM, and he dropped me into a Savage Worlds game where muppets were real people with zero warning. Right down to letters and numbers just walking down the street.

I basically played pic related. Gross misuse of power, extreme police corruption, and a sociopath muppet dog for a partner. It was fantastic. We all got suspended because the rookie shot a suspect who was hopped up on refined sugar.

I'm telling you chief, this is why we got to go digital on the camera system. This analog stuff is just too unreliable.
>>
>>50434640
>a Savage Worlds game where muppets were real people
uh... ?
>Right down to letters and numbers just walking down the street
you had my attention, now you have my interest.
>>
>>50434640
Buddy, you are gonna have to get into this one. Like, what the fuck.
>>
>>50434685

>Savage Worlds

I know it isn't OSR, but I was making a point that not all veteran players are incapable of handling something weird or strange. He had me and two other players make characters with the the provision that we had to be in law enforcement, and preferably police with no other information to go on.

>setting

Our case was a homicide. A muppet number (a 6 pretending to be a 9, actually) was running a refined sugar ring, which is effectively meth for muppets, and had murdered a Big Bird knockoff named Titanic Turkey, who, if I remember correctly, owed 6 a bunch of money.

It was a very weird setting, but I'd never had a fellow GM throw me a curveball like that, so I just tried to take it in stride. Worked out a hell of a lot better than expected. I would play something like that again.

So, moral of the story is, don't feel like you can't spring weird or unexpected things on your veteran players. They may surprise you.
>>
>>50434781
What. The actual fuck. That sounds fucking amazing jesus Christ on a cracker.
>>
>>50434781
Listen that's neat and all, about savage worlds and it and stuff, but like I want you to understand we are all fascinated by fucking Sin City: Sesame Street
>>
>>50434774
>>50434804
>>50434901

Allow me to do some proper story time, then.

Carlos, my friend and fellow GM, tells us (and by us I mean his girlfriend Anne, his best friend Bernard, Ezekiel, and myself) to make characters. He takes Bernard aside and tells him some of the setting details, but doesn't let the other three of us in on it. All we know is that we need to be law enforcement.

I decide that I want to play the burned out veteran who has lost his idealism. Bad things happen to good people, for no reason. Bad people are often untouchable by the law, and sometimes it's better to let the minor offenders go to catch the worse ones. Sometimes, its for your own good to look the other way, etc.

So, I make him tough, but overweight, older, balding. Kind of a rumpled appearance.

Ezekiel makes a rookie cop. Fresh out of the academy.

Anne's character is CSI. Career woman.

Bernard's character is my partner. I don't know exactly what he has made at this point, but I know I'll meet him in game.

Carlos tells me, the rookie, and CSI that we're called in on a homicide, and me specifically that my partner is already on scene. So, I drive over there with the rookie, and I am told that I pass a family of numbers, and various animals scurrying to work on the sidewalk.

I'm a bit thrown for a loop at this point, but I change mental gears, and I think "Ah! Who Framed Roger Rabbit. They're cartoons!" but I don't say it out loud.

We arrive at the crime scene, and I confer with my partner, who is described to me by Bernard. And this is the point when I realize they aren't cartoons - I've fallen into some strange universe where Sesame St. and the Muppets have hard boiled detectives, police corruption, and drug cartels. The kind of universe where Bert would murder Ernie for sucking off the Grouch in the alley behind their apartment.
>>
>>50434935

Cont'd.

So, we have a look at the body. It's a muppet turkey who's been cooked like a Thanksgiving dinner. Little white booties and all. We're told the stuffing smells delicious.

My partner, Bernard's character, is a muppet dog, and it's pretty clear from the outset that he's a bit unhinged. Maybe even deranged. He hassles the bystanders and aggressively questions the land lady.

During this time, CSI arrives, and we describe the situation to her, as she more or less has no idea what is going on in-game yet. It's pretty clear by Anne's face that she's having a greater WHAT. THE. FUCK. moment than either Ezekiel or myself, and I think she was unhappy that her expectations had been subverted by Carlos.

Either way, we all roll with it, and we try to get some leads.

We learn that Titanic Turkey (our vic) has an associate named Tiny Turkey, a business partner. Showbiz hadn't been kind to Titanic Turkey, and it was known he'd been in rehab a couple of times for his sugar addiction. So, my partner and I decide to question him while the rookie and CSI continue gathering clues in Titanic Turkey's apartment.

Our "discussion" with Tiny Turkey involved me playing bad cop, and Bernard playing crazed muppet with a badge and shit ton of Renegade points. Tiny Turkey tells us he owned money to a sugar dealer, but that if we wanted any more information, we needed to talk to 9.
>>
Has anyone here checked out hubris yet? Is it worth buying?
>>
>>50435074
for the love of god keep going
>>
>>50435093
I rarely drop dought on products, but this one is worth it.
>>
>>50435074

Cont'd.

>owed, rather than owned

Bernard and I head back to the station to compare notes with CSI and the rookie, and we learn that the media and muppet rights groups are attempting to crawl up our aspirin eating, black police chief's ass. She tells us to stop goofing off and do our jobs.

Bernard, the rookie, and myself head off to question 9, a muppet businessman. He tells us a whole of nothing, and I can't say I recollect everything about the conversation. But I do remember his employee, a muppet named Cookie Muncher. Cookie Muncher definitely looks shady, and we decide to tail him after our questioning of 9 goes south thanks to Detective "I'll Take a Bite Out of Crime, and Your Ass".

Cookie Muncher enters a lot with a warehouse. We wait a little while, and when he doesn't come out, we decide to do some snooping. All the entrances are locked, and we aren't sure exactly what the place is being used for. So, being terrible policemen, we knock on the front door.

Cookie Muncher answers, but he obviously doesn't want to talk to us. He has an Eastern European accent, so being a sensitive, non-bigoted American, I tell him that I'll report him to immigration if he doesn't let us in.

Unconvinced by our lack of a warrant, he refuses, but he isn't quick enough to shut the door before Bernard has prevented him from doing so by sticking his foot in.

The three of us barge in, and Cookie Muncher attempts to flee. We chase him into the warehouse, and we find a sugar smuggling operation in progress. We call in backup, and capture Cookie Muncher.

The chief is extremely pleased about our drug bust, but wants us to stop fooling around and get back to solving that murder.

However, we are about to make a fatal mistake.
>>
>>50435282

We've got Cookie Muncher in the interrogation room, and he's stonewalling us. Bad cop/deranged muppet doesn't seem to be moving him.

After some deliberation, we decide that if he's going to play hardball, we will to. This is the moment when we decide to unplug the cameras in the interrogation room.

Bernard and I give Cookie Muncher the works, and he finally agrees to squeal if we stop our aggressive and unprofessional questioning techniques, and get him some sugar to sweeten the deal.

In the process of kicking his ass, we'd removed his restraints so that we could justifiably say he was attempting to escape. We tell the rookie to go down to the vending machine and get something for Cookie Muncher.

He does, and gets a rice crispy treat. You know the kind - been sitting there for months, tastes like plastic wrapper, but you're happy to have it because you stomach is gnawing on your spine and the boredom is leeching away the little voice in the back of your head that tries to reason you out of buying it in the first place?

Rookie passes it into the interrogation room, and Bernard and I let Cookie Muncher have it. The muppet bastard gobbles it down, and then goes berserk, eyes gleaming red and throws both me and my partner around, before battering down a locked steel door and fleeing into the bowels of the station.

Both Bernard and I are stunned. We couldn't act if we wanted to. But the rookie has got things in hand. He shouts for Cookie Muncher to stop, but is ignored. Rookie aims, and plugs the fool. Stuffing blows out all over the walls and floor of the hallway, and Cookie Muncher, our best lead at the time, falls dead.

It's at this point where armed fellow officers swarm the area, and the chief demands we explain ourselves in her office. We recount a sanitized version of our escapade, and the chief suspends us pending an investigation. But before she allows us to leave, she wants to know why the cameras were unplugged.
>>
"Prior to AD&D most every PC was Neutral in alignment (the few that were not were Lawful). Not that we were enforcing alignment strongly (no "bolts from the blue" or XP penalties for poor alignment play). Players simply picked alignments that they felt generally described their attitude (when you're a kid, you're not interested in "playing in character;" you ARE the character, for the most part. Except now you have a sword or can cast spells). I think that kids, without pre-conceived notions of play, still realize "hmmm...I'm killing things and robbing gold; they may be evil, but I'm not particularly good." At least, I'd like to think that this knowledge of right and wrong is inherent in kids."

Am I a kid? I don't create a personnality for my characters when I'm on the other side of the screen, I just think "what would I do if I were in this situation?" Different experiences differentiate all my characters from each others and from myself (for exemple, I don't murder people with pointy sticks, and I am not rich). I always figured it was more than enough to do interesting roleplaying. That's what motivates me as a player, at least. When I'm the DM, sure, I play a ton of various roles, but as a PC, I just want to be like "I'm a Wizard, fear my wrath!"

How do you roleplay, /tg/?
>>
>>50435437

And this is where I famously said "Well Chief, this is why I keep saying we gotta go digital. This analog setup just isn't reliable."

She takes a big handful of aspirin and knocks it back. Then washes it down with stale coffee, and tells us to get the fuck out of her station.

I don't know if we'll ever play those characters again, but I have a feeling that they've lost their careers.

Lesson of the day? Roleplayers make lousy cops.
>>
>>50435491
Now I want to run a cops game again.
>>
>>50433862
That sounds fine, but I usually like my non-human races to have some special thing that sets them apart, like Darkvision or whatever.
>>
>>50434781
>6 pretending to be a 9
>>
>>50434310
>>50434264
sweet, thanks!
>>
Anyone here Yoon-Suin, the purple land? What are your thoughts about it?
>>
>>50428467
Yo, brah, check this out. Vancian spells, long-ass names and all.

>The Excellent Prismatic Spray
>R: 2" D: Instantaneous AoE: ½" square/level Save: None
>Darts of prismatic fire instantly slay 2d20 hit dice of creatures. 8 HD or more get a saving throw.

Only six levels, which makes it perfect for B/X or the OD&D LBBs.

>>50434380
Judges Guild's Unknown Gods might be worth a look, perhaps - it's as scarce on descriptions as most of their stuff, but there's more personality description than D&D had in their god supplements. Mostly because there's a random disposition table for when they meet the players, since it's a VERY sword & sorcery-esque supplement.

I don't remember, is the Fire God with three hit dice from Unknown Gods or a Pegasus issue?
>>
A dumb question, but is OSRIC and B/X compatible?
>>
>>50436646
It's awesome. I haven't used it to build a setting that I've actually ran but have had fun just making up settings. The appendices are great and worth the price alone: tables for making poisons, drugs, and teas as well as some good hireling tables. definitely worth picking up.
>>
>>50436784
Kinda-sorta. OSRIC isn't an entirely complete game; it's just a restatement of AD&D 1E that was created for legal reasons.

There's a number of differences between Basic and Advanced D&D: notably the size of player hit dice, whether AC9 or AC10 is unarmored, the entirety of the attribute system, race-as-class vs. race-and-class, Gnomes and Half-Orcs being a thing...

Of course, that doesn't mean that the modules and whatnot aren't usually compatible - really, all you need to worry about is that the players might be a bit underpowered if you're using B/X for rules or a bit overpowered if you're using OSRIC. The early monsters are almost entirely intercompatible, since the Monster Manual was from before AD&D moved over to AC10 being unarmored.
>>
>>50436646
It's great for the most part but I remember an anon in a thread way back (when it had just come out, I think) proving that the system for deciding prices of trade goods was completely messed up, involving plain absurd things like selling tea below cost, and weird fudges like deciding that one cargo unit of sapphires is actually a pile of unrefined ore from a sapphire mine. That made me wary of using that partiuclar system but most of the book's honking amazing, I especially like artifacts, some of the monsters, and the archipelago biome.
>>
File: 1465182132774.jpg (219KB, 624x745px) Image search: [Google]
1465182132774.jpg
219KB, 624x745px
/osrg/ how do you do demons (and hells) in your setting?

In my own, they're beings from a plane of Chaos imprinted with the evils of material beings. They come in a variety of forms, but most commonly a spiked, red skinned mockery of humanoid form (though occasionally beautiful in a sinister sort of way), sometimes winged. They live on enormous flying beasts, tunneling into their flesh and bone and scurrying through the labyrinthine passages like an infection.

There is no solid land, only a poison and ash choked sky filled with floating volcanoes and the flying beasts. The beasts are so large that empires grow on their backs and in their bodies. Some demons are foolish enough to burrow into a beast's brain and try to crash it into another so they can expand their empires, but this sometimes fails and the beast dies, with catastrophic results.
>>
>>50428492
I can see working something out for expelliarmus, but stuff like protego and lumo and alohamora basically are just shield and light and knock, while other stuff would just be kinda busted.
I've always personally felt that accio was busted as fuck and never figured out quite why nobody ever abused the hell out of it in the books
>>
>>50439413
I keep contemplating a Perdition game now that I've read it.
>>
>>50439413
Depends on my setting (I have a few homebrews, as I like worldbuilding. the usual spend hours on stuff players do not care about)

In my current setting (For S&W/LL), the they are beings who come from the outer planes. They range from those who enjoy making humanity suffer, to those who view humanity no more then ants.

The gods, who are the children and grandchildren of the creator god, and their servants who are angels, defend from those from beyond. So even if you worship a chaotic god, its not quite as the same level as someone who worships those who are from beyond.

I tried to use a term (Haraindiko) for these beings. Players just called them demons.
>>
>>50439535
>never figured out quite why nobody ever abused the hell out of it in the books
Because narrative immunity. This is something I think a lot of people don't realize fully about magic systems and similar that they read about in books: almost all of them are nigh impossible to implement in a game because they come from works of fiction with one sole author where all the characters play along and step neatly past the holes. A system that can stand up to a half-dozen people bending their minds to use it creatively to solve tricky problems is a whole other ball game, and it's one of those Mayan ones with knives in the balls where the losers get sacrificed. Typical fiction magic can't stand up to that sort of pressures.

Harry Potter is especially prone to this, like how nobody mentions that the game of Quidditch makes no sense and makes all the players but the gold-ball grabbers irrelevant because the point is to make Harry Potter the most important player on the team. It's basically Sueball.
>>
>>50428879
So what does DCC actually do differently? I have a chance to pick up a book pretty cheaply, but I already own three or four OSR games. What do I get that's new? Pitch that shit.
>>
>GM or player?
GM
>Timezone/times available
TODAY! Monday, November 28th. Starting between 6pm and 8pm (EST / GMT -5). Runtime: 3-ish hours.
>Voice or Text?
Discord voice chat, Roll20 for rolling, etc. Mic mandatory.
>System/setting
Stars Without Number, in the /osrg/ discord server.
>Contact info
@tipsta#3617 (EST/GMT-5) on Discord
>Additional info
This will be a one shot. Premade characters are available if needed.
HOOK: You are part of a small team tasked with investigating an abandoned research facility to retrieve data stolen by an alien crew occupying the derelict structure.
>>
>>50439963
>Harry Potter is especially prone to this, like how nobody mentions that the game of Quidditch makes no sense and makes all the players but the gold-ball grabbers irrelevant because the point is to make Harry Potter the most important player on the team. It's basically Sueball.
Fun fact, Quidditch literally exists to make people angry. She had a bad breakup with a dude who liked football, IIRC.
>>
>>50440291
which is kinda funny as Quidditch Through The Ages is probably her best book
>>
>>50439998
To sum it up simply.

1. It uses a dice system that will step up or down dice used in rolls. Uses extra dice.
2. It starts you out using 4 0 level and poorly equipped PCs. Those who survive the attrition can go on and be heroes. The idea is that you cannot equip a character out at the start, and it weeds out the poor stat and unlucky ones early on.

3. Magic corrupts the spell caster over time.
>>
>>50440417
So is that going to be the next movie, then?

Unless, like, they go for a sequel to Fantastic Beasts. Or go for a Beedle the Bard thing - that might be neat.
>>
>>50440499
>Unless, like, they go for a sequel to Fantastic Beasts.
Anon, they're already set up for a pentalogy.
>>
>>50439998
>>50440474 left out: Fighters have a Mighty Deeds die that lets them do, uh, mighty deeds; there's a luck mechanic which is very satisfying, and the game in general is more gonzo than standard D&D. It also promotes the "detachment mode" of playing harder, by having tables for maimings, magical corruption, and other fun-to-watch consequences, as well as the "character funnel" mentioned by >>50440474 where you start out with a gorillion PCs and whittle them down to a standard group.
>>
>>50436646
Where can I find it in the Trove? It sounds intriguing.
>>
>>50441233
02_Supplements -> 04_Settings
>>
>>50441264
Much appreciated!
>>
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxCKBNvHWJfaRWZYbXlmWGtMams/view?usp=sharing

Used this village once or twice. (Found on dragonfoot) Not bad for a simple homebrew starter village and generic enough to be plopped down anywhere.
>>
File: tom06.jpg (115KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
tom06.jpg
115KB, 500x670px
Best AD&D 2e products? I'm interested in setting supplements and adventures rather than optional rules or player options.
>>
>>50441809
Dark Sun and Spelljammer are my old nostalgic favorites.
>>
>>50441809
2nd edition without splatbooks is one of the best D&Ds

I like Spelljammer, Dark Sun, and underdark
>>
>>50441809
>>50441956

Seconding Dark Sun and Spelljammer. I also dug Al-Qadim as a kid, especially after reading an article in Dragon suggesting that you use it to run Lovecraftian horror adventures.

I spent a lot of my parents' money on Forgotten Realms and regret it.

Is there a copy of Mines of Khunmar in the Trove? Seems that the consensus on it is that it sucks but has dope maps. I could use some dope maps.
>>
>>50441956
>>50441983
>>50442005
Thanks. I know the basics of those, but anything except core setting books I should read?
>>
>>50440160
Last call, going to start pretty soon.
>>
>>50436724
Thanks! That is both perspicacious and ungrudgingly munificent of you!
>>
>>50434263

Are you the same guy as >>50428467 perchance?
>>
I was actually looking forward to tearing this to bits a second time.

I like separating 'skills' from 'social'. I guess if a GM hated social rolls they could just drop number of priorities down to 4 too, bumping everything else up. Clout is an ok mechanic, but you should consider directly/specifically mechanise earning it (and neg-Clout. Flout?), or risk people feeling bad about using it. On the other hand it should be super rare...

MOAR things in Natural Abilities/Race table please! 6-7 options would be sweet. Extra senses (and thus sensory vulnerabilities), immunities, different eating/breathing requirements, peculiar lusts or urges, flashes of insight, great sprint/long distance muscles for bursts/sustained activity of any type, 'looks fucking badass', strong ethnic/racial social ties for +1 Clout for only in-species/whatever use, etc etc.

Is stat save progression new? neat touch.

re: reaction rolls, I'm assuming this is a 'GM/Player' book? It's meant to be helpful for both? Consider adding a default reaction table, or a suggestion on how GMs should go about making their own for different situations, races, or demeanours of person. Add a second table for controlling hirelings- this should have more than just binary 'succeed/fail' on it, and so would be helpful to be premade. Or be clever, and have one table for both.

Hats were over-nerfed. Noone will ever drop their hat. Maybe make it a dice mechanic, like 'after you get shot, lose your hat to make them reroll to hit', or 'reroll damage against you, taking the lower of the 2 numbers'?
>>
>>50427392
>>50443080

lost post reply link on first post...
>>50427392

"If you go past 20 on your attack roll a d10- if you roll under the number over 20 your gun jams" - 'under the *amount* over 20'? still horrible wording. Consider something (slightly) simpler like, 'Odd numbers over (20+knowledgebonus) jam'?

"shotguns also knock off one *more* point of armour per shot past the first" - nice mechanic, but you removed the statement that guns knock off armour by shooting normally. Unsure of your intention, but should edit appropriately.

Additionally, this whole mini-section about rifles and shotguns doesnt really mesh with the weapons section. You should add both of these features as options in weapon construction- "spray/sawed off" and "scoped/rifled" or something. Put specific mechanics for Chimneys vs Sidearms here; something like "per shot past first: chimneys - +1 damage, 1 armour destroyed/Xdamage done; sidearms +1 aim, +1 damage/point rolled over target's armour". Something like that, which feels more thematic around the 2 main classes of weapon, rather than adding random new classes out of nowhere. You want to enable people to build a shotgun that shreds armour, or a rifle that ignores it, not to just make that inherent to a premade 'set' of weapons.

Definitely expand weapon creation section too. This is one of your main pillars of character diferentiation: my characer is cooler and distinct from NPCs because I have a gatling needle rifle, that needs a second person to load it and spews out hot ash. You can give players a real opportunity to make guns they will love and love to hate, if you just double the size of all the lists you have, adding some slightly more out-there options. Maybe even add in a 4th building block, for ammo/bullet type, or something else? I don't currently see a way to make something like a flamethrower-shotgun, or a gas-launching sniper rifle; maybe you don't want to go this stupid.

Is the psychic section paid DLC?
>>
File: 1920s fedora gangster.jpg (88KB, 620x576px) Image search: [Google]
1920s fedora gangster.jpg
88KB, 620x576px
>>50443113
>Consider something (slightly) simpler like, 'Odd numbers over (20+knowledgebonus) jam'?

Forgot to remove that whole mechanic. My bad.

>"shotguns also knock off one *more* point of armour per shot past the first" - nice mechanic, but you removed the statement that guns knock off armour by shooting normally. Unsure of your intention, but should edit appropriately.

That was actually intentional. My original idea was that you'd sometimes fight dudes in huge suits of armor or power armor and have to wail on them with bullet-fire to knock points off. But since that made melee too powerful I decided to change armor back to damage avoiding, which makes more sense for bullets anyhow.

>Additionally, this whole mini-section about rifles and shotguns doesnt really mesh with the weapons section.
>"per shot past first: chimneys - +1 damage, 1 armour destroyed/Xdamage done; sidearms +1 aim, +1 damage/point rolled over target's armour"
>You want to enable people to build a shotgun that shreds armour, or a rifle that ignores it, not to just make that inherent to a premade 'set' of weapons.

Really interesting idea. That's kind of what I was going for already with the weapon creation system but originally I just had a list of guns to choose from, with Shotgun, Rifle, SMG and such as classes, so you can see how I kept some of those old sacred cows from that system into the current one.

>Maybe even add in a 4th building block, for ammo/bullet type, or something else? I don't currently see a way to make something like a flamethrower-shotgun, or a gas-launching sniper rifle; maybe you don't want to go this stupid.

Actually I had plans for this concept before, but I didn't add it because I wanted the weapon creation rules to fit on one page. Now I may have to change it if I change the ammo/receiver system too, and may add it.

>Is the psychic section paid DLC
Yes.

Once again, thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 1457153933707.jpg (352KB, 650x916px) Image search: [Google]
1457153933707.jpg
352KB, 650x916px
Anyone got a good module for quick playtesting The Rogue's March? Something more city based?

>https://www.docdroid.net/GtTDks6/trm-sample.pdf.html
>>
>>50443345
For the solo game I ran, I stole the first level of Thief wholesale.
>>
>>50439998
DCC is somewhat more akin to 3.x in terms of underlying mechanics (3-saves, and a Difficulty-Class style focused resolution system).

One of the key things is that DCC magic is non-Vancian; casters can keep casting so long as they succeed their spellcasting checks (with penalties for failure). This turns magic from a managed resource into a wagered resource.
>>
So how would OSR feel about giving Wizards the same (or better yet, less) spell slots daily but in return give them constant cantrips and charms they can cast all day long?
>>
>>50444788
I see no issue. Depending on the contrips.
>>
>>50444788

Not a big deal.
>>
>>50444788
Depends on what the cantrips are.
>>
>>50433429
Seriously. It's obviously based on B/X
>>
>>50444910

There's some AD&D in there, too.
>>
File: wizard stock image sparkles.jpg (50KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
wizard stock image sparkles.jpg
50KB, 800x533px
>>50444871
>>50444878
>>50444903

Well I know a lot of people here think the 5e cantrips are too powerful, so what about something a little weaker. Maybe magical blasts that require an attack roll, or are purely jinxes (tripping, fumbling, etc) that are for support or debuff purposes. Then there could be common utility spells like a torch/lantern cantrip and something that could make a simple alarm or glyph on a wall, and so on.

I would only do this to keep the really cool spells as Vancian as possible, keep the weaker stuff for charms.
>>
>>50445016
The minor attack fine. I'd be okay to make something glow but not enough to be torch worthy. Jinxes are nice.
>>
>>50440160
>>50442240
A successful session, they killed some reptaloids and a psychic slug person, and got away with the goods!
>>
So, I'm making an expansion to Scalemail, dealing with naval combat. Here's the early draft. Gonna work on the units soon.
>>
>>50445016
I feel giving magic-users anything that's actually useful, especially a way to make ranged attacks, with infinite spells would destroy the game. Minor cosmetic stuff is fine, but anything that has utility should use a slot. Again, why make the game into D&D 4/5 when those games already exist. Magic-users don't need to be useful in all situations.
>>
>>50445016
I liked the 4/5e idea of rituals better than infinite cantrips. The distinction being that rituals can't be used in combat due to their casting time.
>>
So I have some potential players and theyve never played before. They're wondering if they could play unicorns, faeries or robots and whatnot. What's a system that's homebrewable enough where "you're a level one robot" could work?
>>
>>50446827
Not OSR but Risus could work. Easy to learn too
>>
>>50446827
OD&D, or Machinations of the Space Princess's species creation thing.
>>
>>50446856
I wad thinking I might just brew random stuff and sorta run wothout rules in a sense. Ability scores are a thing, hp and attacks, initiative. Even with od&d, i've played basic and the rules can be offputting to noobs with their fiddliness. Things like the action economy or vancian casting.
>>
>>50446889
>i've played basic and the rules can be offputting to noobs with their fiddliness.
I do not comprehend.
>>
>>50446827

Dungeons: The Dragoning 40k could probably do it, too.
>>
>>50446853
Looking into risus and it seems excellent. I'm a bit worried they'd want the pop culture stuff they know of d&d since they requested d&d specifically.
>>
>>50446911
They start questioning why turn order is set up the way it is, vancian casting seems odd to them etc.
>>
>>50442135
Read all the boxed sets and accessories for the campaign settings you're interested in. If one sucks then move on to the next.
>>
So I've been mulling around playing ADND. Would any of you recommend it, and which edition if so, or are there better and newer oldschool RPGs to give a shot at?
Aslo does anyone have a link to a source for the ADND books? I have a link for the rem.uz repository but the download is incredibly slow.
>>
>>50446352
not really, just have the combat cantrip(s) be weak in terms of damage

>>50446589
eh doesn't seem very useful to me
>>
>>50428856
Careful what you wish for. Most of the spells in LotFP are randumb xD things that shred your character or campaign.
>>
>>50445016
Combat-wise, 5e cantrips are definitely NOT overpowered compared to, say, AD&D: darts and longswords have the same DPR, only the dart has a smoother distribution of successful hits.

I don't even get how one would think they're OP. Is it just some knee jerk love of casters starting off as 1 a day dudes? If so, keep in mind 5e casters are way way WAY weaker than OSR casters. An OSR sleep spell ends an encounter or a level 4 foe. A 5e sleep spell might get one pitifully weak dude if you're very lucky.
>>
was looking through my copy of Delving Deeper and just noticed that Bugbears aren't in the Monster section, were they introduced in Greyhawk or something, or did DD have an oversight there?
>>
>>50447757
2e's got cleaner layout and clearer writing than 1e, s well as a shitload of (dubiously balanced) supplements. You just have to remember to use the optional gold=xp rule if you want proper old-school.

It's really easy to mix and match between them, though.
>>
>>50447757
If you're mostly after the core experience and one of the best DMGs around, 1e is better. If you prefer 101 bizarre splatbooks like 3e has but moreso, 2e is better. 1e has a lot more depth in its combat than 2e as well, and its inits are a thing of beauty and horror.

They are about as interchangeable as you want them to be, however.
>>
>>50446929
Pop culture stuff like? If theyre totally new they wont know the difference.
>>
>>50448057
>1e has a lot more depth in its combat than 2e as well,
Note that this reverses if you break out the 2e supplement Combat and Tactics.
>>
>>50448286
I already acknowledged 2e's splats. I could see either way argued with C&T.
>>
>>50446956
That's an obvious route. I was wondering if anyone had specific suggestions for setting accessories so that I could prioritize and not comb through everything.

>>50447757
I wouldn't recommend it but then again I'm a B/X pussy. I will recommend DMG to read anyway but for an actual game I'd grab Adventures Dark & Deep if you want a flavourful and understandable AD&D version and not just a reference compilation like OSRIC, or Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, which is pulpier (no classic fantasy races, lovecraftian bestiary) and lighter. But that's only because I find AD&D a bit too arcane looking at it with modern eyes.

>>50448001
Damage cantrips have various additional effects, scale with level, don't require to switch between a weapon and casting and your caster has between 2 or 4. It isn't OP in 5e since the game was balanced around this and there's plenty of flavorful utility cantrips but translating that to OSR makes low-level casters that much more versatile. There are ways around this, of course, but I can see the issue.
>>
I'm going to put up an OSR adventure module I wrote on RpgNOW and DrivethruRPG tomorrow. I'm kind of excited, but also wondering how to best do this.

How do I best promote my module? Write to random-ass bloggers? Which ones? Where do I spam? Etc.

I'm kind of getting panicky about this entire deal. I never did anything like this, and I really want it to have some success.
>>
>>50443255

This dev here.

What are some good psychic powers I should I include in my urban fantasy neighborhood - crawling game?
>>
>>50448796
I wouldn't recommend spamming anywhere. Announcing it on your blog would be a start assuming you have one. If you don't, /tg/ is as good start as any.

If you do want for some blogger to check it out, the best idea would be to send it to tenfootpole.org, I feel.
>>
>>50449054
I don't have a blog. I probably should, but I already tried having a blog once (a non-OSR blog) and after some time i felt like I had run out of things to say and dropped it.

I'll definitely drop a link here once it's live.

And i'll check tenfootpole.org. Thank you!
>>
>>50449054
Um, actually, how do I SEND it to him? Call me dumb but I can't find an email address or other way to contact him privately.
>>
>>50449139
Do take a closer look, anon.
tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?page_id=1199
>>
>>50449139
Oh, and bear in mind that he really doesn't pull any punches but since the purpose of his blog is to review things it feels like a natural place to start.
>>
>>50448796
drop me a link and I'll give it a read through and write up my thoughts on my on blog.
>>
File: Cinematic-RPG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Cinematic-RPG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50446827
>>
>>50446827
Leave the common D&D elements and then go freeform. Leave the 6 ability scores, say 'saving throw' it doesn't matter how specifically you resolve it, whatever else. Anything else is on the fly. I rolled like that and it doesn't take much, only some confidence. Most of the advantages and disadvantages of various weird races and classes can be reflected through common sense.

>>50449662
>In the game, a referee called a Producer
works with players to create collaborative
stories called Episodes, very much like a TV
series or move.

How about no.
>>
>>50446929
If they specifically want to play D&D then tell them that they should try playing the normal races and classes before playing as odd things.
>>
>>50449567
Give me an address or something to contact you privately and I'll send it to you.
>>
>>50446827
FATE
>>
>>50449179
I don't want to be coddled. If my adventure is shit, I want to know it's shit before I publish the PDF so I can fix it.
>>
Anybody have any issues of the NOD zine they'd be willing to contribute to the Trove?
>>
>>50449662

Wow, it's like it wants to be Primetime Adventures, but it can't because it was written by the same kind of incompetent hacks who wrote 1974 Style.
>>
Has anyone seen/used a money-less economy in an OSR game? I'm planning an iron age northeastern Europe themed campaign so things like coins should be non-existent.

I guess treasure would still need to have an abstract numerical value of "worth" for the purpose of calculating experience.
>>
>>50452069
>iron age northeastern Europe themed campaign
I guess they'd use hacksilver?
>>
>>50452069
When did Vikings start minting silver coins?

I have used a mostly money less economy before, but it was post-apocalypse campaign where 1 GP (for XP) was valued at a pound of cornmeal/1 shot of black powder.
>>
>>50447757
>So I've been mulling around playing ADND.
The additional options AD&D provides (more classes and spells and such) are nice, but the game is a bit of a cluttered mess, in my opinion. So if that were the kind of thing I was looking for, I'd go with something that streamlines AD&D, like Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, or maybe Castles & Crusades.
>>
>>50452215
I guess this would be the simple solution. Just a bunch of silver trinkets and whatnot that is worth its weight. This is pretty much exactly the same as the vanilla system except in silver standard.

>>50452325
Probably around 9th century. I was going to have a tad more eastern flavour though and not so much viking.
>>
>>50452730
Fair enough, but I know that the Vikings went up river from Scandi to Byzantum, mostly in trade.

Perhaps you can use stockfish as a value, as that was a common trade good of the era.
>>
>>50452775
>Vikings
>Byzantum
Actually an OSR game/setting/adventure premise with the PCs as not!Varangian Guard sounds hella cool, thinking about it.
>>
Is there a system that's a good combo of S&W and Basic Fantasy Roleplaying? or should I just pick and choose what I like from both and make my own mishmash
>>
>>50453525
Yes, you should. I can't remember where all the stuff I use is from and I'm a happier man for it.
>>
>>50453525

My suggestion is to make your own mishmash. There will never be a "perfect" blend of options for every DM, since it's heavily dependent on taste.
>>
>>50453519
Eastern Roman Empire really has not been much explored with RPGs outside of the Varangain guard. Could be fertile and fun setting.

>If I did it I would go all HARN realistic
>>
>>50453525
Go with your own. I am lucky that my preferred system is BECMI with B/X thief tables, which can easily be done by LL with some houserules.
>>
>>50454149
In general I think there's a lot of space for some OSRs with a historical bent out there.

I don't mean full-autistic THIS IS HISTORICAL ACCURATE SO NO WIZARDS OR MAGIC AT ALL, but some fun and colorful fantasy setting heavily inspired by some of the less-popular periods of history.
>>
>>50454221
I do not disagree on that.

Really there very little OSR on...

>Roman in general
>eastern Romans
>Italian city states
>Holy Roman Empire
>Crusader states
>Reconquesta

All these could be mined for fantasy settings, both high or low.

Perhaps /OSR/ should build a creative commons settings based off one of these eras.
>>
>>50454310
I've long wanted to do something with the Italian Wars. They were a pretty crazy time period full of pretty crazy people going around, and a lot of stories from that time just makes me think "that's something a PC would do".
>>
>>50454559
That would be fun. Draw up a peninsula, add 2-3 kingdoms, a bunch of city states, and even a religious state or two. plus ruins.

You know, that might be worth working on...might need to get to mapping tonight.
>>
>>50454559
>>50455033
And dubs say that I shall work on it. Will keep you appraised. If it worth anything I will PDF it and throw it on for people to see.
>>
>>50455033
>That would be fun. Draw up a peninsula, add 2-3 kingdoms, a bunch of city states, and even a religious state or two. plus ruins.

If it were up to me, I'd have it set in ACTUAL Italy, same map, city-states and catholic church and all that... except magic and mythical beasts do exist.

...Honestly, it might sound weird, but i find the idea of "let's make a fantasy version of X time period" such a cop-out.

Part of the reason I hate the settings for Legend of the Five Rings and 7th Sea, but I love Ars Magica.
>>
>>50455201
Actually, fuck it, you know what? It's a thing I've wanted to do for a long time. I'mma start working on a hexcrawl map of Italy. Keep y'all posted.
>>
>>50455259
so will it just be Italy, or will you include some of the parts of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and France that border it, also will you be including Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia on it as well?
>>
>>50455931
Working on it right now. Gonna include some of the surrounding space, so yes. Italy as in the geographic area, not Italy as in the modern-day country borders (which makes no sense for historical-ish roleplaying)
>>
>>50455987
>>50455259
Neat, will keep watch on it...If I do this I will most likely do the more usual "Inspired by" but as a historical setting with magic is a great idea.
>>
>>50433727
The best D&D settings felt like fantasy novels waiting for you to bring them to life.
>>
>>50439963
>Harry Potter is especially prone to this, like how nobody mentions that the game of Quidditch makes no sense and makes all the players but the gold-ball grabbers irrelevant because the point is to make Harry Potter the most important player on the team. It's basically Sueball.

Qudditch ends when the Snitch is grabbed, it also earned the team that grabs it 150 points. If the Snitch is grabbed by a team who is behind by more than 150 points, they still lose.
>>
>>50456216
>If the Snitch is grabbed by a team who is behind by more than 150 points, they still lose.
Which is dumb
>>
>>50439413
I don't like to go too deep into cosmology in my games, because then it gets so samey.

I rather like to explore what it could be from the perspective of the world, so demon and hells are considered on a case by case basis.

One of my favourite demons is Baphomet because he's all fucked up with the profaning of livestock animals as a symbol of the fall of civilizations. His cults are found in cities, in places hidden among the mazelike streets. His realm is apparently a giant maze created from the ruins of fallen civilizations and crawling with beastmen.

Tiamat is another one because Gygax answered the question of where we came from by making the Mother of Chaos a five headed dragon god.
>>
>>50456688
so the seeker keeps track of the score and doesn't end the game when their team is behind... surely?
>>
>>50456813
Exactly.
>>
File: italia.png (808KB, 2712x3020px) Image search: [Google]
italia.png
808KB, 2712x3020px
>>50455259

Barely started. Still missing smaller islands, woodlands and other terrains, cities and roads, and borders. Also decent cropping up top and bottom. Still, wanted to show this off, even if it's just the outline.

Now, who the fuck knows where the woodland was and wasn't in 1500.

Incidentally: FUCK DALMATIA.
>>
>>50456976
>Incidentally: FUCK DALMATIA.
what you got against Dalmatia?
>>
>>50457150

Have you SEEN it? It looks like God was having Parkinson's while drawing on the map.

It looks like the geographical representation of a fucking heart attack.

If it were a fantasy map, people would point at it and go "who the fuck thought THIS was a good idea? coastlines don't fucking work like this 0/10 lrn2geography"

It's probably going to take me longer to draw Dalmatia than it took me to draw everything else.
>>
>>50448045
>just have to remember to use the optional gold=xp rule if you want proper old-school

And play a Rogue class so that you get 2 XP per GP acquired in addition to 1 XP per GP acquired.
>>
>>50456976
Nice map, what software did you use?
>>
>>50457378
Hexographer.
>>
>>50457413
Noted.

>make dwarves swiss bankers who build underground vaults to store wealth. You know you want to do it.
>>
>>50457491
That's precisely what my dwarves do chiefly. they operate the most popular and secure banking system in the realm. Think Gringotts but Dwarves.
>>
>>50457558
I use gnomes for that role.
>>
>>50457572
I don't use Gnomes at all as a player characters. They're like earth elementals instead.
>>
>>50456216
The stupidest thing is that it's such an easy retarded rule to fix. Just make the Snitch end the game, with no additional points. Presto: a sensible challenge! Get the thing when your team is ahead, otherwise stop the other guy from grabbing it.
>>
>>50457997
47 Man Squamish will always be the best intermural sport.
>>
>>50457997
That too...logical!

(I would give it 15 points myself, instead of the 150)

>>50457591
I don't let players be gnomes. They are NPC bankers. You rent space in their vaults, and pay fees to get letters of credit.
>>
>>50456813
Yes, that's why I said it's dumb.
>>
>>50457150
>>50457189
I just looked it up, that is one ugly ass spot
no idea how you're going to do that in hexes desu
>>
OSR shadow run?
>>
>>50460093
As far as I know, there's not much for OSR cyberpunk. A couple one-pagers, IIRC. But I've always kinda toyed with the idea. I've got a long-term plan to try and OSRize the SR2 rules. Eventually.
>>
>>50457189
Truth is indeed more fantastical than fiction.
>>
I want godbound books but don't want to give kevin cuckford money, where do I go?
>>
>>50460538
>kevin cuckford

Huh? As far as I know he's a stand-up guy who delivers good stuff. Am I supposed to hate him now? I thought I was supposed to hate Raggi.
>>
So Wolf-packs and Winter Snow defaults to representing random wilderness as a grid of squares rather than hexes. Has someone tried this? How to handle intermediate directions (NE, SW etc.)?
>>
File: cd01cafef69c16afe07f05c4a127e776.jpg (130KB, 1000x580px) Image search: [Google]
cd01cafef69c16afe07f05c4a127e776.jpg
130KB, 1000x580px
Gentlemen, I need tables. Most importantly, tables for treasure, but I'll take any table I can get.
>>
What's the best way to play old school D&D online? How to best incorporate player mapping into an online voice/text game?
>>
>>50462209

I've got something for you when I get home. Keep the thread alive.
>>
>>50462753
check out Critkeeper, there's a link to it in one of the pastebins in the OP
>>
>>50462820
Is it better than roll20? I've been looking for a good program to do dungeon crawls with. Also a better program than Donjon to generate dungeons with.
>>
File: dungeon.png (64KB, 1433x855px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon.png
64KB, 1433x855px
>>50462836
Forgot my picture.
>>
>>50462820
How does Critkeeper handle player drawn maps?
>>
>>50462753
>>50462836
I prefer Roll20 as the free option; Critkeeper is no different from just running IRC and a PDF viewer at the same time. Maptool and FantasyGrounds are also good but they're considerably more money.

Since OSR games are highly procedural I find dedicated applications are more helpful rather than less - you can immensely speed up play with some careful preparation of automated elements - individual initiative and declarations, monster HD, being able to draw maps on multiple layers, random encounters on tables, time tracking, etc. etc.

>>50462860
>How does Critkeeper handle player drawn maps?
Critkeeper doesn't. It's literally just IRC+Rolz+PDF viewer all in one site.
>>
>>50460093
Use the shadowun setting and use SWN and its supplement Polychrome for equipment maybe?
>>
>>50460538
Godbound is free isn't it? I have the deluxe version, it's honestly not required. Anyway, the trove should have it. If not, go to 7 chan, view their huge request thread in its entirety and search for it there. Crawford's stuff always gets shared there eventually.
>>
>>50448286
>>50448450
Honestly, C&T is less like "added depth" and more like "crashing this game with no survivors".
>>
>>50460538
>where do I go

To some dark dusty corner and lonely death, preferably.
>>
>>50452069
>I'm planning an iron age northeastern Europe themed campaign so things like coins should be non-existent.
Breh, the proto-Vikings had gold and silver coins from as far away as Bagdad in AD 600. They just didn't mint any themselves, and they used it interchangeably with hacksilver as >>50452215 points out -- weighing it to determine the value rather than caring about the coin denominations. Arguably that was standard procedure all over Europe at the time, though.
>>
Why would I use a torch if lantern's available? Oil seems like a limiting factor but lanterns burn really long in every version of the game I ever saw. You can drop them, but not extinguish, and they cover a much bigger area. Unless you're deliberately target packs with the oil, or you need to have quickly accessible fire (not sure how difficult it is to use the fire from the lantern), lanterns seem to edge it everytime.
>>
>>50464279
Apologize, I meant

>Unless your DM deliberately targets packs with the oil

Which I consider shitty desu. Works for an encounter or two, then it's pretty much That DMing like any tactic of this sort.
>>
>>50464279

Probably the expense and torches are more useful as weapons, I would imagine.
>>
>>50464497
They're still dirt cheap, there's just no OSR universe where you don't have this kind of money after any mildly succesful delve.

>LotFP: silver standard, lantern 3-5 sp, 1 flask of oil 5cp
>LL: gold standard, lantern 9 gp, 1 empty flask 3cp, oil for 1 flask 1sp
>S&W Complete: gold standard, lantern 12 gp, 1 empty flask 0.03 gp, oil for 1 flask 0.1 gp

And then again, the most efficient use of 'fire and forget' tactics involve oil. Torch is okay for quickly setting things on fire.
>>
>>50464696
What about ACKS? Don't you have to spend money to get XP there?
>>
Would you consider chainmail to be light armour or medium armour?
>>
>>50464279
In general, I seen parties use both.

And generally they use down torches first.
>>
>>50465358
Medium, although I'm fond of the Leather/Chain/Plate as Light/Medium/Heavy thing.
>>
File: 1480312851139.png (414KB, 1024x514px) Image search: [Google]
1480312851139.png
414KB, 1024x514px
So what is the difference between OSR and, say, pathfinder?
>>
>>50465625
Yeah, that's exactly what I was gonna do.
>>
>>50465644
OSR more streamlined rules, focus on dungeon exploration and getting treasure out of it as opposed to plot and combat. Character creation is much faster and does not support "builds." Character death is frequent.
>>
>>50465644
1. Streamlined rules
2. Combat is quicker
3. much more dependent on DMs making calls on what to roll.
4. Much quicker character generation
5. PCs die much more
6. In many systems, treasure gained gives the lion share of XP, and not monster killing.
7. Many times it is much more dungeon focused. Not that you can't OSR cities or so on.
>>
>>50465803
>>50465724
I got a setting that deals with a dungeon that randomizes itself, and also deals with the city that surrounds it.

Is there anything I can get from these books that would be worthwhile?
>>
>>50465843
check out Philotomy's bit on the dungeon as mythic underworld
>>
File: okay so.jpg (36KB, 798x556px) Image search: [Google]
okay so.jpg
36KB, 798x556px
>>50464749
I don't use "money for training" myself but if we assume players spend so much money that they have to buy torches and not lanterns, they probably can't really buy anything anyway.

That's not even what I'm getting at. I'm fine with using anything, I just don't see an objective reason to use the torch first except specific circumstances.

>>50465422
My players' default is lighting up one lantern, and have someone be ready to pull up a torch if the lantern dies for some reason, then light another lantern. It's pretty efficient, because protected light source with more area coverage just beats unprotected light source with less area coverage. I guess I'm just interested in ways to shake up this dynamic without limiting the availability of lanterns. So far the only reasonable thing is "we need to light things on fire real quick"

>>50465644
What other anons said, but I want to emphasize the lack of main Pathfinder appeal, which is character builds. Also pick related.

You can get a lot of mileage of OSR Links to Wisdom, with all kind of advice related to running interesting dungeons and also examples of such dungeons.
>>
>>50456976
I'm from Dalmatia. I'll find out where you live, and then...
>>
>>50466036
>So far the only reasonable thing is "we need to light things on fire real quick"
But, of course, the standard way to do that is to combine a lit torch with a flask of lamp oil...

Really, the torches are just the budget option for when you're starting out. Lanterns are almost universally superior, except for the edge cases, much like Continual Lights are almost universally better than lanterns (except for edge cases).

(The edge cases with Continual Lights being stuff like, say, Beholders. Hope you weren't expecting to see anything while within the sight of the Antimagic Eye. Also, well, much like a torch or lantern can be snuffed out by a draft a Continual Light can be Dispelled - and it's a bit trickier to relight.)
>>
>>50466743
I always have torches in the party, even in upper levels as they are great for seeing how far deep pits are and so on.
>>
>>50466036
>character builds

This is ultimately what turned me off of newer iterations of D&D. 99% of the discussion is about character building and minmaxing. OSR games have their discussions about mechanics but they don't monopolize the discourse.
>>
>>50466781
Yeah, they're disposable in a way that lanterns aren't.

Also I guess there's some shit to be said about light cones and whatnot, but that's a complicated topic and varies by the edition.
>>
>>50465644

What other people said, but also a strongly defined game structure for dungeon crawling. Movement, searching, picking locks, all take up turns, every so often the party has to stop and catch their breath for a turn, every so many turns wandering monster checks are made. Combined with the lion's share of XP coming from treasure recovered, not monsters fought, and you have a difficult tactical game built around trying to get in and get the cash as quickly as possible, without fighting any more than necessary, with balancing factors of how many people/hirelings you bring, how heavy a set of armor you want (considering it slows you down and exposes you to more risk) how much light and other resources you have, etc.
Most of this stuff is either handwaved or the rules don't work right anymore in newer editions -- you had people working on D&D who didn't understand this carefully balanced game loop and decided "oh you should be able to move much faster in the dungeon, I can walk faster than that, this movement rate is silly" and they jsut broke things all over the place.
>>
>>50463322
SWN?
>>
>>50467725
Stars Without Number. Sci-fi game with a B/X chassis. It has some cyberware and other future weapons.
>>
>>50466557
What'cha gonna do, remodel his coastline?
>>
>>50463198
>Maptool and FantasyGrounds are also good but they're considerably more money.
Aren't Maptools free?
>>
>>50468547

Yeah, as in freedom, AND as in beer.
>>
File: italia.png (1MB, 2712x3020px) Image search: [Google]
italia.png
1MB, 2712x3020px
>>50455259

Update.

Fuck rivers.
>>
>>50469936
Sweet!
>>
File: blood in the chocolate.png (649KB, 1004x337px) Image search: [Google]
blood in the chocolate.png
649KB, 1004x337px
Blood in the Chocolate is coming out soon
>>
>>50469936
Nice! What kind of map are you using as reference?
>>
File: realitaly.png (1MB, 2712x3020px) Image search: [Google]
realitaly.png
1MB, 2712x3020px
>>50470065
A mix of geographical and physical maps and data collected over the internet, no one specific map.

It's not easy, because there isn't a lot of certain and easy-to-obtain data about, for example, how courses of rivers or terrains could have changed in the last 600 or so years, or where woodlands were before '900 deforestation.

There are probably plenty of geographical mistakes and inaccuracies, but whatever, it's a gaming map, it's not meant to be an accurate geographical map for navigation or anything.

Here's a more realistic version, with all fantasy features removed.
>>
>>50468376
Don't spoil him, dude
>>
>>50470166
The boot has a diabetic ulcer it appears.
>>
OSR that is a little more high fantasy(little more powerfull characters)?
>>
>>50470374
Dungeon Crawl Classics or Beyond the Wall maybe?
>>
>>50470374
Just start at level 3 and cut out save or die effects.
>>
>>50470374
Godbound?
>>
>>50470374
I assume you mean both power and versatility, because increasing power is trivially easy. Max HP, better saves and attack bonuses, 4d6 chargen, all of that is a non-issue.

So:
Ambition & Avarice has slightly higher baseline and various helpful additional abilities for each class and race.

DCC except the funnel play is pretty high-powered and crunchy.

Fantastic Heroes & Witchery seems to equip everyone with tons of goodies and has a shitton of classes.

Godbound is basically Exalted for OSR.
>>
>OSR system, but instead of humans, dwarves, elves, and hobbits, PCs are mice and other woodland critters.

Think it could work? Seems like just a simple re-fluff.
>>
File: mouseguard.jpg (93KB, 557x369px) Image search: [Google]
mouseguard.jpg
93KB, 557x369px
>>50471548
>Mouse Guard
>>
>>50471548
it's been done, but doesn't mean a new attempt wouldn't be welcome if done right

>>50471609
not OSR(or at least I don't consider the Burning Wheel system to be proper OSR)
>>
>>50471609
Was thinking more redwall.
>>
File: Redwall races.jpg (399KB, 2006x467px) Image search: [Google]
Redwall races.jpg
399KB, 2006x467px
>>50471548

Reskinning OSR in general is easy as fuck.
>>
>>50428883
Beyond the Wall
http://www.flatlandgames.com/btw/
>>
>>50471619
Well, was refering to the comic, not the game.

>>50471787
That it is. Heck a Elders scroll reskinn was the easiest thing ever.
>>
File: Harry Potter face.jpg (86KB, 620x296px) Image search: [Google]
Harry Potter face.jpg
86KB, 620x296px
I've had it. I'm tried of all the bullshit arguing and indecision with OSR magic systems. I'm reskinning the whole fucking thing into unlimited cantrip magic ala Harry Potter.

Now the only question is progression systems; do players individually upgrade spells as they level, or have some sort of 'school' based magic system? That way they get new spells while making some spells stronger as they get more powerful.
>>
>>50471622
Woodland Warriors.
>>
>>50461466
What did Raggi do?
>>
>>50472097
Uh-oh, now you've done it...
>>
>>50472032
skill-tree with stat-requirements akin to the 3.5 feat system?
>>
>>50471787
I've mentioned this before but the scale in that image is completely screwed up for several races, Badgers, Foxes, and Cats should be a lot bigger, and I'd probably have Rats be a bit bigger as well, others are mostly fine
>>
>>50472229

That seems kind of lame. I'd prefer something more organic.
>>
>>50472032
What's the theme of your game? Is it wizard only, even very Harry Potter-like? Is the core gameplay based on dungeon crawling or traveling or wizard school or something else?
>>
>>50472032
I think it better if you just let them as they progress to cast more spells before wearing out. But not do the memorization thing. Or do a spell corruption thing like DCC.

spamming unlimited spells sounds fun, till you play it.
>>
File: carved wands.jpg (925KB, 990x763px) Image search: [Google]
carved wands.jpg
925KB, 990x763px
>>50472702

>Wizard only
Naw, it's dungeon crawling. Like DnD, you have Magicians, Fighters and Thieves. Clerics are technically lumped into Magic Users as well here. It does steal some Harry Potter rules though, like needing a wand to cast spells.

>>50472767
I didn't really want a limit, but I do admit spamming spells is not fun. That's why you need to make spells specific, or if you just give the players spells of varying usefulness they'll just use them all the time. For example; imagine a mage who didn't get spell slots but could cast something like Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, and Prestidigitation at will. That's kind of what I'm going for.
>>
>>50470374
I see anons suggesting Godbound. I've been playing that for a few months now and it owns! However, it's power level is pretty fucking high.

For something more traditional, use Exemplars and Eidolons instead. That game has classes. Then just use Godbound's bestiary and other GM tools.
>>
>>50470374

Scarlet Heroes is inbetween Godbound and regular OSR for power level.
>>
>>50471548
Rabbits & Rangers is a Labyrinth Lord sourcebook for that.
>>
>>50471945
>Heck a Elders scroll reskinn was the easiest thing ever

Fun fact: TES began as a tabletop campaign. It got pulled off the shelf when Arena began its feature creep from fantasy gladiator game to full-blown RPG.
>>
>>50473203
If the harry potter-system is used in dungeon crawling, won't that make wizards incredibly powerful? They can levitate stuff around as much as they want, unlock any door with alohomora, and create spirit guardians just to name a few. If you let them be evil then avada kadavra is just a power word: kill that can be used at any time. Why need any other class?
>>
>>50472097

Spawned a number of urban legends about himself. Remade The Lichway as Death Frost Doom, which some people are unreasonably furious about. Oh, and he and the heavy metal artists he's hired are "edgy."
>>
>>50473374

I didn't mean taking every single spell, especially the OP ones like the killing curse or unlocking spells. I just meant the style; as in more small utility spells then big powerful spells.
>>
>>50473411
So basically nothing?
>>
File: shrugs.jpg (104KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
shrugs.jpg
104KB, 449x642px
>>50474041

Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>50467205
TTTTHHHHIIIIISSSSSS
Nicely explained, anon. It's a crucial and underrated distinction.
>>
>>50474192

The other side of the argument is that as soon as you say "I don't like Death Frost Doom, the design is dumb and uninspired it's boring to game through and all the deathtraps foster an atmosphere of paranoia that doesn't lead to entertaining gameplay, especially not as a starter module, the original adventure was a lot tighter and better constructed", the Internet Raggi Defense Force pops out and calls you a bitch for disliking anything their god and savior has produced.
>>
>>50474463

I dunno, anon, you do kinda sound like a bitch right there.
>>
>>50473486
To be honest, I get where you're going with this, but it's basically a skill system, but instead of having bonuses, you pick a handful of skills you can do with complete accuracy.
>>
>>50474463
(You) is on the way!
>>
>>50470054
>Behold, men! Yonder lies Caftillo Chocolateria, whofe chocolates have obfeffed Europe fince 1612!

Renaissance handwriting is weird.
>>
>>50470374
ACKS generally has improvements across the board in terms of class power (Fighters are pretty monstrous in it)
>>
>>50472032
I would take a look at DCC's magic system, which gives spells variable effects based on the strength of the casting roll. As the wizard grows in magical strength he gets bonuses to the casting roll, making higher-order effects more reliable.

For example, Magic Missile - which typically gets more missiles with higher level in most systems - gets more missiles the greater the margin of success in DCC. This means that a higher level mage will more reliably spit out 3-5 magic missiles (as they would in other classic D&D systems), but even a level 1 mage could get really lucky.
>>
>>50474463
>the other side of the argument is... there's another side of the argument and they're all whiny bitches
I don't follow
>>
File: comic_whitedragon.jpg (4MB, 1200x3617px) Image search: [Google]
comic_whitedragon.jpg
4MB, 1200x3617px
>>50470054
Oh damn, did Jason Thompson do a map for it? Link?
>>
>>50475203

The problem with that is that it's a huge table that you have to look up every time you cast a spell, and making newer spells is tougher too.
>>
File: 1387867403398.jpg (1000KB, 3723x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1387867403398.jpg
1000KB, 3723x1420px
>>50471787
>>50472320

Superior.
>>
Dwarves, how do you do them and what have you done with them?
>>
>>50476099
yeah that's an overall better one in overall scale for the larger races, although I'd argue Badgers are still a bit short there, also I figure the average Rat is probably at about Cluny's chest in height

I'd say that previous chart was a bit more accurate regarding the heights of the smaller races though
>>
>>50476320

The primary Dwarven nation is a Theocratic one. They're vaguely pantheistic, melding monotheistic trappings with a pantheistic worship of the Original Dwarven Ancestors like Catholics with saints.

Dwarven priests are sober for most of the year. On holy days, however, they break out blessed alcohols that have been brewing all year, and get *absolutely* *hammered*. The term "hammered" in-setting literally comes from this concept, as warhammers tend to be a favored weapon of Dwarven priests, and...well...drinking and warhammers...I mean, it doesn't mix well.

Other Dwarves drink socially but not to excess. It is considered extremely taboo to be *drunk* in public, for reasons illuminated in the next paragraph. The exception to this is, of course, holy days, which are essentially massive binge parties.

Dwarves also tattoo their entire family lineage on their bodies. Their faces are covered in their immediate families' runic tattoos, and their feet have the original Ancestors they're descended from so that they literally walk on the path of the Ancestors at all times. it also makes it really easy to identify a Dwarf's clan and thus know any of the old mythological rivalries and hatreds flung around. This is why you are not meant to be drunk in public, also; because you are falling off the path your Ancestors laid out for you (literally, falling off your feet).
>>
>>50475255
he did the art for the module

I don't think the module map is up yet
>>
>>50476388

A Dwarf's tattooing is essentially a coming-of-age ritual, but over a progressive period of time. You get your face tattoos when you're born (well, a few weeks after), unless you're some kind of filthy orphan or something. It slowly grows as you complete various stages of your education, and when you finally decide what you want to do with your life, you lock it in and you get your Ancestor tattoos to help you walk your path in a big stuffy ritual. No, it doesn't end in drinking.

It is considered unclean to be an untattooed Dwarf. While they have and do exist (one of the more notable High Priests of the Sects is in fact untattooed, and possesses only the Ancestral tattoos to show his lineage), it's rare, and such Dwarves are almost never candidates for good marriages or high positions without incredibly exceptional deeds - and sometimes not even then.

I have more if people want more setting stuff.
>>
>>50476320
I made them literally carved from stone. They are servants of a specific god (who gives a little bit of his essence to each dwarf to make them come alive). Dwarven kings are elected by their citizens, and oddly enough, after the long discussions among the dwarves to decide, the votes are always unanimous.
>>
>>50476320
I like them as stubborn, hairy, ugly beings who can stomach nearly anything. They have an obsession with gold and beautiful things, and have a need to work. They came from things like maggots in the flesh of giants, given reason by gods.
>>
>>50476320

I don't 'do' them because I don't like them.

That doesn't mean I don't like fantasy races, far from it, it's just dwarves are one of my least favorite.
>>
>>50446889
That's how I run noob games. Just the basics, no frills. If the players are really green give them some pre-made characters to look at. That puts it in context for them and gives you the chance to make some pieces for your hodge-podge system.

I base most of my D&D style games on Microlite20 and its derivatives. The system is a skeleton but it gives you major leeway as a GM if you have a strong understanding of D&D as a game rather than a collection of tropes.

Risus is also a great starter game but it is almost too simple. Good for unicorns and robots though. Rather steep death spiral if you want a fighty game.

A slightly crunchier (than Risus) alternative is PDQ. There is a D&D 'clone' called Questers of the Middle Realms. It adds a lot of bells and whistles that might be unnecessary for new players. If you can give your own spin the PDQ basic system it will scratch the weird character itch.

Sounds fun. I like breaking in noobs.
>>
File: tumblr_o4ei5c4Mjo1t2t2gmo1_1280.jpg (337KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4ei5c4Mjo1t2t2gmo1_1280.jpg
337KB, 1280x960px
I'm making a homebrew setting with no Elves, Dwarfs, or Halflings. I'm using Gnomes to basically fill in the niche for all three aforementioned races. Also promoting fullblooded Orcs to a PC race. I need one to two more semi-uncommon creatures that could work as a playable race. Ideas?
>>
>>50446911
My player is someone who has never ever played roleplaying games before. If you're really not used to it, even something as relatively simple as OSR games can be a struggle. They see a character sheet and see all sorts of numbers that are all used in different ways.

For instance, we're playing Godbound. It took her a while to get unserstand attribute checks, saving throws, and when she uses her modifiers. She also needed a few sessions to get a handle on how Effort works.

What I did was go heavy on printing rules from the book, provide player handouts, make a sheet that summarizes her powers in simple language etc. I also ran combat encounters for the express purpose of highlighting and teaching certain tactics and abilities. I also introduced new rules only if and when they become relevant.

But hell, all that is worth it. Now she's pestering me to run a session twice a week. She's more enthusiastic about it then me now.
>>
>>50477265
I have used Lizard like races very well.
>>
is there a monster book for ambition and avarice?
>>
File: Final Fantasy races.jpg (422KB, 600x708px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy races.jpg
422KB, 600x708px
>>50477265

>Lizardmen
>Oni/Ogres who are intelligent
>Minotaurs/Sheepmen/Horsemen/some other beastman
>Hobgoblins/Trolls/Other playable monsters
>Half blooded creatures like Tieflings, Satyrs maybe
>Weird humans stretched and in different proportions (pic related?)
>Humans but literally just with really crazy skin and hair colors based on race

These are all some ideas. Personally I've been going for a meme setting where I just let players imagine practically anything as a race or make it up as we go along; like playing as anteater people with floppy dog ears or some other weird shit. Fits well within my setting and I stopped caring about having well developed races in my setting and just went for a do whatever you want style.
>>
how high can a character jump?
>>
>>50477279
You don't even need to let noob players see the rules. They don't have to know them. It's enough when you tell them when to roll and what.
>>
>>50462795
You still here anon? I'm still waiting for treasure
>>
>>50465925
Are we talking underworld like where the dead go or just 'under the world'?
>>
>>50478092

Fuck! Hold in a second
>>
File: d100 curios.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
d100 curios.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50462209
>>50478092

Here you go, skipped my mind after work yesterday. Hope you enjoy this.
>>
>>50477879

This high!
>>
File: Dungeon as Underworld.png (462KB, 719x2136px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon as Underworld.png
462KB, 719x2136px
>>50478158

Yes?
>>
File: 8f9c27de49366b1f19a3ef0418b320ac.jpg (530KB, 1300x836px) Image search: [Google]
8f9c27de49366b1f19a3ef0418b320ac.jpg
530KB, 1300x836px
>>50478809
Thanks mate
>>
Presenting, 5 months in the making, the second revamped edition of the Advanced Swords and Wizardry Players Handbook I made. TROVEGUY, please place this new edition and get rid of the "book of the ancients" spellbook. This book includes spells.
If anyone has questions let me know
>>
>>50478938
ill repost it again tomorrow since it's late as shit and the thread is gonna die
>>
>>50476320
I like to set up Dwarves as a very materialistic (both in the casual and philosophical sense), with a specific brand of semi-atheistic ancestor worship, since the only reason you exist after all is due to the actions of your ancestors. Very much this-world focused and a heavy emphasis on understanding cause-effect relationships.

This gives them a nice symmetry with elves which tend to be the magical/mystical race.
>>
we need new thread
>>
>>50477438
Nah, only guidelines. There are sample monsters for possible 2nd edition on google+ page, I believe.
>>
somone less lazy than me make new thread please
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.