[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which setting is the best setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Magic Labroatory.jpg (162KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Labroatory.jpg
162KB, 1191x670px
Which setting is the best setting?
>>
File: WChSDmA.jpg (131KB, 1190x891px) Image search: [Google]
WChSDmA.jpg
131KB, 1190x891px
>>50417840
My setting. Your setting.
>>
>>50417840
Mine

There is no objective best setting, only people's favourites.
>>
>>50417849
>>50417844
>>50417840
yOUR SETTINGS ARE SHIT.
>>
I'm pretty fond of Uresia, but I'm pretty sure that's a question without a right answer, OP.
>>
>>50417840
The setting that is yet to be written.
>>
EVE Online has a pretty good setting
>>
>>50417840
The setting which best enables the story you're trying to tell
>>
depends on the setting
>>
>>50417840
Sword of Truth.
>>
>>50417840
RIFTS Earth is pretty fun, even if the system shows its age. Post-apoc tech and magic with dimensional refugees and horrors from beyond.
>>
File: Siembieda and Hobbes.jpg (214KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
Siembieda and Hobbes.jpg
214KB, 800x553px
>>50419415
>Rifts
>good setting

The Rifts setting is incoherent garbage. A lot of fun to play, but literally open any book and you get shit like, "The Coalition, which owns a small part of the old USA, but somehow has a hyper-advanced arcology that covers the entirety of Chicago and fleets of advanced intercontinental bombers that are larger than the current US military."

None of it works if you apply a minute of thought to it, you just need to look past it all and think about how much megadamage you do.
>>
>>50417840
Licensed settings? For D&D?

Eberron. It's unique, original, lets you play your race/class combo however you want, has a rich lore you can use or ignore as you please, and all the books and games are non-canonical, and the timeline doesn't progress beyond what the DM does with it. Magic has become industrialized to some degree, so it actually makes sense, unlike Generic Fantasy Land #43 Side A.
>>
>>50417840
I prefer high fantasy for rule of cool and lots of fun.
Also goblins, orcs, demons, knights and all other fun stuff.
>>
>>50417840
The setting that you enjoy most.
>>
>>50417840
For me it's probably one of The Elder Scrolls, Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Ivalice.

But I can't really decide on one.
>>
>>50417840
>>50417844
jerusalem
>>
When it comes to "official" fantasy worlds and world-building, I honestly have to say that the only ones I ever cared outside of Tolkien's world were Elder Scrolls, Dune and to a limited degree, the world of original Homeworld, the game.
Otherwise, I find most game and traditional game related world-building pretty dreary for the most part.
>>
Bionicles
>>
>>50419092
Oh no you don't. I've been on this Ruse Cruise before.
>>
I was going to say Tolkien's Middle-earth, but I don't really play many games set in it besides the LOTRSBG.

So probably 40K for playing games in, but Middle-earth for reading.
>>
File: Gothic2_39510_screenshots_lh8.jpg (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic2_39510_screenshots_lh8.jpg
1MB, 1280x720px
>>50417840
Somebody please explain the stories of Icewind Dale 1 & 2.
Or where can I find them? The wikis are shit and not detailed enough.
Is there something like the Imperial Library's description of old TES stories?
>>
File: Thrall.jpg (82KB, 327x357px) Image search: [Google]
Thrall.jpg
82KB, 327x357px
Talislanta is one of neatest small-niche settings out there.

Based on the weird fantasy works of Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance and others, it has some really neat exotic cultures and magic styles.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.