[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Tabletop RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 34

File: GiantAllege.png (6MB, 1396x1998px) Image search: [Google]
GiantAllege.png
6MB, 1396x1998px
Soon™ edition

Last thread: >>50253175

Starting off with some unfortunate news, the rules part will not be done today due to unforeseen circumstances.
And I should really know better than to offer deadlines on a hobby project. Oh well.
>>
>>50417225
ded thred
>>
>>50417225
It's alright man, you're doing it for free anyway. I just hope to see it one day.
>>
What are we talking about?
>>
So last thread we talked about game mechanics. But is there any game out there that stands out? DX is kinda broken, and most of the other games run weirdly. Ryuutama works well, but are there any other interesting ones out there?

>>50419235
Giant Allege, the game in the OP.
>>
>>50419399

Although I have yet to actually play TBZ, the mechanics are pretty sound.

Granted I like DX, like allot. so I might have issues.
>>
So, how's the rpg scene in japan? What kind of games are popular there?
>>
As someone who has no access to the rule book, and no experience playing, how do power combos work in DX?
>>
>>50417225
What's the gist of this system?
>>
File: Power.png (129KB, 592x382px) Image search: [Google]
Power.png
129KB, 592x382px
>>50420545
Each power has an encroach cost, which rases your encroachment cost by that much. To summarize Encroachment rate, once you get over 100% you get a buff, but your regeneration power stops working. And of course that makes any deaths after that final.

They also have a timing. During your turn iirc you have both a Major, and minor action. Timings are Minor, Major, Reaction, and Auto. To continue that they also have a range, and a skill associated. Ranges are Melee, view, Area, and something else I can't remember.

If you use a power with a timing of Major, you can use any other number of powers that have the same timing simultaneously, as long as you're willing to pay the ER cost. So if I had the power "Kamaitachi", and I wanted to attack with it, then I'd make a melee attack with Range: View (Meaning anyone in sight would be hit,) but I'd take a -5 to my Attack Power (Basically, Accuracy) roll. If I made an attack with the "Energy Wave" power, and it was at level 2, my attack would get a +4 Attack Bonus.

So it I combined the powers, I could make a melee attack that could hit anyone within sight but with a -1 to the attack power roll.
>>
Let it die.
>>
>>50420351
Like people say, it's a one-shot culture. Except apparently shadowrun is popular.
>>
>>50420692
Lawyers fight in giant robots to settle disputes in dystopian not-Australia. GMless PvP.
>>
>>50417225
What are you trying to... allege?
>>
>>50421319
Didn't know i wanted this. Is there a phoenix wright objection move?
>>
File: STRAYA.png (164KB, 870x675px) Image search: [Google]
STRAYA.png
164KB, 870x675px
>>50421319
Just took a look at the system, and its the dumbest thing I've ever seen and holy fuck I want to play it.

t. Aussie
>>
>>50421961
No, but you do shout "Objection!" to proceed to the second and third rounds.
>>
File: 42Kn4zQ.png (274KB, 543x570px) Image search: [Google]
42Kn4zQ.png
274KB, 543x570px
Model: Combat Shell
Designation: Beijing Computers <Type 19 Armored Soldier>

Type: M (Flight A)
REF/MV: 5 (Flight 20)/2 (Flight 80, lasts 2 Turns)
STR: X+10
DEX: X-8
HP: 7

Chassis Price: $6,000
Set Price: $13,000

Load Limits

(Weapons, Armor) 80
(Cargo, Personnel) 0

Crew: 1

Armor
(All Locations) A30/60% (Hi-Chobham Armor)

Hit Locations:

1-6 Chassis
7 Engine (CP 3)
8 Boosters (CP 2: 1 hit disables them)
9, 0: One Module

Installed Modules: Cyber Laser Sight (for Main Arm), ECM Pod (B)
Main Arms: 7.62mm Assault Rifle, Low-Recoil AP Gun
>>
>>50422335
Is that an Allege, or something different?
>>
>>50422422
Different, it's from Metal Head. These are more VOTOMS-like small mecha.
>>
So started reading TBZ rules and setting for real, and the basics seem cool enough though I don't expect to completely wrap my head around some things such as the wiki/kiai/karma economy until I see some play.

The only thing that's made me stop and think so far: has anyone had problems or group inequalities arise from the roll to turn chits into kiai being tied to Empathy?
>>
>>50420351
As others mention, Japan is more conducive to one-shots or relatively short campaigns than extended campaigns. They have a number of systems over there, but they do have a thing for some western systems, notably Call of Cthulhu or Shadowrun.
>>
>>50422467

Does Metal Head have a translation? I can't find anything on Google.

And on the note of translations. Can anyone share the translation of Alshard? I saw a pdf floating around a while ago, but it was a WIP. so I'd like to see if any progress was made.
>>
File: GwVzrkq.png (513KB, 612x875px) Image search: [Google]
GwVzrkq.png
513KB, 612x875px
>>50424192
Like I said on the previous thread, I've been working on and off it for a while. It's really rough because I haven't done an editing pass or anything, but at least I can share some stat blocks. It's an amazingly '80s game, even if it's from 1990.

Model: Combat Shell
Designation: Weiss America M-PS12 <Puppet Man>

Type: M (Flight Time A)
REF/MV: 6 (Flight 25)/3 (Flight 100, lasts 3 Turns)
STR: X+10
DEX: X-5
HP: 9

Chassis Price: $10,000
Set Price: $22,600

Load Limits

(Weapons, Armor) 100
(Cargo, Personnel) 0

Crew: 1

Armor
(All Locations) A30/60% (Hi-Chobham Armor)

Hit Locations:

1-6 Chassis
7 Engine (CP 3)
8 Boosters (CP 2: 1 hit disables them)
9, 0: One Module

Installed Modules: Booster Tank, Flare Pod M, ECM Pod B, Cyber-IR Vision
Main Gun: AT Rifle
>>
>>50420927
Never.
>>
Is Sword World any good?
Found a translation of it on the web.
>>
>>50426736
1E is a wonderful fantasy heartbreaker. 2E is mayonnaise.
>>
>>50427708
> tfw the translation you have is of the mayonnaise
>>
giant allege when?
>>
Has anyone played Meikyuu Kingdom?
I want to give it a try, but have so many questions

The least of which being, what does the Laboratory Facility do?
The translated pdf has an error, and skips it.
>>
File: lab.png (175KB, 725x1003px) Image search: [Google]
lab.png
175KB, 725x1003px
>>50428396
>>
>>50428771
Awesome, thank you so much
Where did you find such a nice, translated card?

I'm struggling through the no-frills, no pictures pdf
>>
>>50428809
I made it myself.
>>
>>50429145
Do you have more you can put up, or a template so I can make my own?
Any resources that you can provide would be appreciated
>>
>>50429228
Not that guy but I'm planning on during my free time on shooping the translation over the cards so I can have play aids in live sessions.

http://www118.zippyshare.com/v/Ka8SY8YW/file.html

Here's a folder of all the cards to be shooped
>>
>>50417225
Been a while since I looked into JTRPGs.

>Did they ever finish the translation of Log Horizon? Has anybody made it into a PDF rather than a plaintext file?

>Are there any translations of Arianrhod or Alshard Fortissimo?
>>
>>50417225
How does Giant Allege tie into Arianrhod? (since Arianrhod RPG is plastered on the cover).
>>
I remember reading that the guys from Red Dragon would release books on the RPG. In fact, I remember seeing a pdf of the World Book.
Is there anything else? Any translation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dragon_(role-playing_fiction)
>>
>>50429320
It doesn't and it isn't.
>>
>>50429283
Thanks, please share them with us if you get a chance to make them someday
>>
I just read through the powers for Double Cross, and how come Japanese games have all the awesome/chuuni names for powers?

>power to manipulate light and enhance the senses, usually characterised by the user glowing slightly when in use.
>Angel Halo

>Conjure orbs that allow the manipulation of gravity, time, and space.
>Balor (the orbs are called "Evil Eye" or "Jewel"'s)

>Manipulate personal bio-electricity and turn it into electric shocks and manipulate technology.
>Black Dog (after some english folklore)

And my favourite.
>Manipulate blood and turn it into weapons/ammo/armour, create servants using blood.
>Bram Stoker

It's amazing.
>>
>>50431276
Did you read the setting? The whole premise is about being a semi-justified chuuni.
>>
>>50431427
I know and I love it.

The modern world with a supernatural underbelly/secrets is one of my favourite setting types in general. Throwing in all that chuuni stuff is great.
>>
>>50417225
How's crisis heroine coming?
>>
>>50429302
>Did they ever finish the translation of Log Horizon? Has anybody made it into a PDF rather than a plaintext file?
I think they died last year - the original website went down and someone mirrored it

https://tabletalk.fyi/wiki/index.php?title=Log_Horizon_TRPG

>>50429334
Search this topic but I don't think it has happened.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/3472-Red-Dragon

Unfortunately the project seems dead. There was a bit of spark when the Anime adaptation happened but then it turned out to be shit
>>
>>50431636
The CACTs are almost done.
>>
>>50431872
>>50429302
For Log Horizon, we've moved onto other projects. If they ever put out Book 2 like they've been saying they would for literally a year at this point, we were thinking of giving it another go.

Mamare getting hit for tax evasion makes things look shaky though.
>>
For Ryuutama, how should I distribute HP and MP as a magic type? Starting with, say, 6/4/6/8 stats.
>>
>>50431903
>Mamare getting hit for tax evasion makes things look shaky though.
Didn't that guy get hit for it TWICE?

That must be the saddest way to end your Legacy
>>
>>50429283
Funnily enough, I'm planning to make a Nandeck for MYK myself. It won't have the neat design of the original cards, but it will be a bit more printer-friendly, I think.

>>50429302
Arianrhod and Alshard Fortissimo have not been translated and with them being SRS games, I'm relatively sure they won't be anytime soon, either.

>>50429320
Where do you read "Arianrhod" on that cover?

>>50431979
Generally speaking, Magic types want all the MP, but there's nothing stopping you from picking up one HP here or there for that little bit of sorely needed extra survivability.
>>
>>50432254
>and with them being SRS games

Is there any reason this might be an issue?
>>
>>50432254
Can you really survive at high levels with starter-tier HP?

Should it start with 8 strength and 8 spirit instead for more starting HP but less intelligence?
>>
>>50432399
Yes. SRS is like our d20. Most games using that system are garbage, and neither of those two games seem to make any effort to distinguish themselves in any way.
>>
>>50432482
Isn't Alshard at least supposed to be the good SRS game?
>>
>>50432984
No, people just wank over the stupid setting.
>>
>>50433312
It's "exotic". Or rather, it's just so different from what we're used to here in the west that we're willing to look past the fact it's basically immature weaboo garbage and if someone on 4chan came up with the exact same thing as a "homebrew" we'd laugh him all the way out the door.
>>
>>50432984
From what I managed to read of my copy of Alshard Gaia, it's extremely standard SRS. No new ideas or concepts.
That means it's almost certain to be shit.
>>
>>50432449
I hate to be quoting Disney here, but let it go.

Ryuutama is a beginner's RPG, not an optimizer's RPG.
No matter what you dump, you'll feel it. And no matter how you build your character, you can't really fuck it up.
As you level up, you'll have plenty opportunities to cover any weaknesses you might discover in play.
>>
>>50433312
>>50433364
Is Alshard the one with Nazi motorcyle cavaliers or something and lots of not-Norse iconography?
>>
>>50434231
That's the one.
>>
>>50434231
I don't think they're nazi-esque but yeah there's a bunch of Norse naming shit and steampunk/magitech. Honestly it's pretty standard JRPG magitech/steampunk shenanigans slapped on a standard medieval European based world, so if that's what's so interesting in spite of being "immature weaboo garbage" as >>50433364 calls it speaks to being a massive sperg that's afraid of playing in a rule of cool oriented setting or some shit.

Like one of my dumb animu as fuck homebrew could probably turned into a terrible LN with a SRS tie-in game.
>>
File: 00093az0.jpg (61KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
00093az0.jpg
61KB, 200x200px
>>50421319
>Lawyers fight in giant robots to settle disputes in dystopian not-Australia.
so, kind of a kangaroo court
>>
>>50422051
Is that Ayers rock in the center? If so that's hilarious as that's where you get your robots from
>>
File: 1476482048216.jpg (18KB, 236x190px) Image search: [Google]
1476482048216.jpg
18KB, 236x190px
>>50434937
>>
>>50434818
Honestly after reading the one translated scenario for it, the setting seems close to FFVI. There's am empire, which happens to be German-Inspired and of course a resistance group dedicated to stopping it. Standard stuff, but it does seem interesting.

The notes in the scenario also make it appear that the game runs like a cross between Tenra Bansho, Double Cross (Not in a bad way), and another Japanese ttrpg that I can't name.

On the other hand if you put all of the translated material together you could get a super rough draft of the setting and homebrew up whatever else you need.
>>
>>50436791
The scenario in question.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lwTC8DQ8i7SyNSLWlocx66NUHkk8BibL7_L8T0w2RvI
>>
>>50436812
I remember reading this in the past. I love reading scenarios and replays like this, but it does seem to reinforce just how forceful the Japanese railroad can be.
>>
Any SRS games you know that are actually good?
>>
>>50438490
Metallic Guardian
>>
>>50437055
And why exactly is "railroading" considered to be such a negative thing anyway?
It's efficient. Clearly communicated and set expectations mean less floundering and more playing.

>>50438490
The only good SRS games I know are officially not SRS games and factually diverge from the SRS enough that they probably shouldn't be considered as such.

>>50438521
Never even heard of it.
>>
>>50438578
I didn't say the railroading was bad. I'm just saying it can be very obvious at times.
>>
>>50438578
Here's the real question, then. How do you make a good SRS game?
>>
>>50438635
I will say I like how classes/races are handled in Arianhrod (I think). You have three class slots, and you can fill those slots with different classes, multiple instances of the same class for more class abilities, or certain race templates like Saurian. It's one of the cleaner forms of multi-classing and race templates I've seen in a while, partly because of how freeform it is.
>>
>>50438635
First you'd need to come up with a mechanical framework for something other than combat. Then you'd need to ask yourself why you'd want to use SRS for such a game in the first place, since it's pretty much what you'd get if you wanted to reduce D20 down to the experience of sitting in your bedroom alone coming up with outrageous character builds based on taking one or two levels in a panoply of really hyperfocused niche classes from 3rd party sourcebooks.
>>
>>50417225
Satasupe when?
>>
>>50438635
You do not.
By the time you have made a good game with SRS as its base, it will have deviated so far that it cannot really be considered a SRS game anymore. Same as with d20.

>>50438733
Actually, that is absolutely normal for SRS games. And while that idea is very neat, class design is usually so bad that it negates the advantages of that system.

Tokyo Nova actually keeps this system in its entirety (including the 1/scenario super skills) and provides 22 classes (plus some more in the first supplement) that are conceptually and mechanically distinct, which is just insane.
>>
I feel like the SRS killed someones parents or something.

>>50439046
>SRS as its base
So basically the only things we would take from the core rules are 3 class slots, 6 stats per class and the sum of their attributes is your final character, add some bonus points for variety, and tie abilities to classes? 2d6 resolution mechanics and that's basically it from what I read.

That's so skeletal that any addition we add would "deviate" from base SRS. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>50439140
Also scenes. That's basically what I got from SRS.

>>50438635
I could try and brainstorm something, I had thoughts of doing a Dungeon Meshi themed setting based in the SRS months ago.
>>
>>50439140
>What's wrong with that?
The sheer amount of garbage it engenders.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you add anything to the skeleton, you deviate from the SRS. And any game that bills itself as a SRS game...
Well, doesn't.

Take the very basic system, come up with some snazzy-sounding names for the various things, write a couple of skills that inevitably end up being mostly the same across classes and even games, because there isn't really any design space to work with and call it a day.
That's how you make a SRS game.
If you're feeling particularly fancy, you can make one or two cosmetic changes to the skeleton that don't really make any (positive) difference, such as using bigger dice or implementing a reverse MP system that ends up invalidating HP and any ability that interfaces with them.

And yes, I do happen to hold something of a personal grudge against the SRS, because the fuckers behind the Etrian Odyssey TRPG used the SRS to ruin a wonderful license and because I suspect its presence on the creators' mind to have had a negative influence on the Log Horizon TRPG which just isn't as good as it could be.
>>
File: 3349442.png (296KB, 450x640px) Image search: [Google]
3349442.png
296KB, 450x640px
>>50439024
Have fun waiting on that one. I got a couple pages in and it's easily one of the densest RPGs I've ever had to parse in any language. It's a beautiful mechanical clusterfuck.
>>
>>50439866
I feel like most of your resentment comes from Double Cross if your post is any indication because reverse MP is just the encrouch mechanic. While I like the idea of encrouch rate I haven't read into the system or played it so I just have the words of people on the net. It's a mixed bag of a system for sure. Keep in mind that DX isn't base SRS. It's much in the same vein as Tokyo Nova where it's clearly borrowed some elements, but they went whole hog on new mechanics enough to make it something different. And I used "deviate" not deviate because I don't think adding mechanics to the system would be a problem. If I changed the number of attributes a class could give that would be a deviation. If I gave a class a unique resource to manage that wouldn't in my opinion.

And speaking of classes I liked the TN classes during my read through. The social damage track opened up new classes and new opportunities to play a cyberpunk character. Now you can be a reporter without also having to pick up a combat class because A) Scenes allow you to be present when you want too, B) Social damage does something and you can also use support abilities to help with combat if you are present, and C) Your class Miracle (much like all the other classes) is a get out of jail free card depending on how the GM handles the aftermath.

So to the original question, what would you do to make a good SRS game? There has to be something you liked about the rules?

>Etrian Odyssey TRPG
I have three EO games staring at me from my shelf (never got a 3DS so that's where it ended for me). I don't hate SRS because people don't know how to use it for a cheap license. even though it was for an RPG that already had a system that could have been better translated to PnP because it's a fucking dungeon crawler.
>>
>>50440235
No, DX has little impact on my resentment of the SRS. I just couldn't resist taking a jab at it after last thread's discussion, which I still had some points to make for (T-Loises having an Encroachment value and shortening combat being more efficient at saving Encroachment for the party), but ultimately felt pointless.

You already touched upon what makes TN so great. It opened tons of design space before creating skills and classes, ensuring great variety.
Using cards opened up two extra dimensions in action resolution for skills to interact with: suit keying and hand management.
Going away from HP and introducing three mechanically and conceptually different damage types contributed further.
TN also took scene participation rules, actually made use of their implications and converted them to even more design space.

Though what I probably like most about the system compared to its limply drooling SRS brethren is its skill distribution.
Where Log Horizon, DX and others only give starting characters enough skills to specialize on a single trick that they will use time and again, TN actually provides a reasonable number of skills from the get-go and with the suit keying ensures that you have good reason to use different combinations.
>>
Has anyone found scans of Terra the Gunslinger? Poorfag can't afford the $50+15 price on Ebay.
>>
Did Tokyo Nova every get translated?
>>
>>50441060
Tokyo Nova has a complete translation somewhere out there, or so I've heard. I've also heard that the pictures aren't high quality.

>>50440662
Not that I know of, unfortunately. I haven't really seen any real mentions of it anywhere. I only know about it because of Tenra/Terra war, which I've also never seen mentions of it's also SRS but I really just want the setting info
>>
>>50441097
>the pictures aren't high quality
That's an odd way of saying "text only".
>>
>>50441060
>>50441097
Here ya go, the pictures were never inserted to the documents though.
https://mega.nz/#!oBABVIAQ!hF9D_ofyL_3T2wbgyD9ys6WbtHp_zeXynSUItDB1DvI
>>
>>50441166
>or so I've heard
I never said I'd seen the document, just mentions of it. Regardless, all images gone is bad.
>>
>>50438578
>And why exactly is "railroading" considered to be such a negative thing anyway?
I'm a complete outsider to the conversation, but: Interactive medium that is supposed to be limited by your imagination, but instead limits you by arbitrary boundaries determined by another person. It chaffs some people.
>>
File: 1410216792155.jpg (112KB, 487x510px) Image search: [Google]
1410216792155.jpg
112KB, 487x510px
>>50434937
>>
>>50428396
I want to, but I only have an occasional interest in the Dragon Quest-esque brand of humor the system has baked in. "Fat" status, weird monsters, et al.
>>
I have questions about Meikyuu Kingdom
The Land Makers have no storage in the kingdom, at all, outside of getting special facilities for it, right?
The Treasure Chest facility lets you store Rare Items, and the Depot stores 1 kind of Material per level, but I don't see any way to store regular items.

>>50432254
>but it will be a bit more printer-friendly, I think.
Please, for the love of god, I need this to happen
>>
>>50441897
It's the memorial hall which lets you store anything it seems so long as you name everything you put in.
>>
>>50441897
DESU the only thing you'll want to print multiples of is of items, especially gear that can be leveled.
>>
>>50441933
Didn't think of using the Memorial Hall like that, since you can only store items gotten that game in it, as I understand it
>>
bumpity bump
>>
File: 600full-medabots-screenshot.jpg (205KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
600full-medabots-screenshot.jpg
205KB, 600x849px
Any recent updates on that plan to translate the Medabots RPG? I haven't visited one of these threads since the one where two people said they planned on doing that.
>>
>>50443674
Someone in the discord is working on it last thing I heard.
>>
CACTs are up in the wiki now.
>>
>>50441728
That is a way of thinking that is utterly incomprehensible to me.

By chosing to play a Tabletop RPG with other people as opposed to playing Freeform or just sitting alone in a room staring at a wall, you actively choose to engage in an interactive medium that isn't supposed to be limited by your imagination, but instead is limited by arbitrary boundaries determined by other people.

The first set of arbitrary boundaries is set by the people who created the game you're playing (and by their marketing guys if you play one of those games).
The second set of boundaries is set by the people you play with. That is called the social contract.

All JTTRPGs do is incorporate some of the usually unspoken second kind of boundaries so that you get a more reliable playing experience and waste less time on the usual stories you keep reading on this board, which are almost always caused by someone violating the social contract.
>>
>>50445546
There's a distinct difference between "This is what you can do within the rules" and a DM insisting "No, you can't do that, even though it's entirely within the rules."

I don't mean asshole behavior like
>I stab the king, lolrandum!
I mean the sort of shit where where the DM dictates how your character behaves or even thinks, regardless of their established personality or your own wishes.

The moment a DM tells me how my character feels, without any sort of mental magic or the like involved, is the moment I walk out of the fucking game.
>>
Are there any translations for the SMT tabletops anywhere? I've been searching forever.
>>
>>50445789
I once had a look at the character sheet of the one you linked and apparently Hee-Ho is an alignment.
>>
>>50445731
But that kind of railroading has no bearing on our discussion, because "the Japanese railroad" is based on the rules and sometimes suggestions of the game, which the group agrees to beforehand by playing that game.
>>
>>50445823
That's amazing
>>
>>50445828
I did state I was an outsider to the discussion. I was aware there are multiple 'types' of railroading.

To me, railroading is when the DM pulls restrictions out of his ass to enforce 'his' story, rather than the group's story. It's a violation of the agreement that players will actually have agency over their characters.

If the DM states at the outset that he has a specific story in mind and wants you to make characters that fit it, then it's transparent. You knew what you were in for when you rolled up a character.

TL;DR: It's only railroading if the DM is acting without the group's good faith. It's basically "I stab the king" from the other direction, because it breaks the unspoken agreement that you won't dick over everyone out of the blue, for no fucking reason.
>>
>>50439866
>such as using bigger dice or implementing a reverse MP system that ends up invalidating HP and any ability that interfaces with them.

Holding a Grudge against DX I see.
>>
>>50446626
I admitted as much in a post I have yet to receive an answer to.

And I mean, I feel like I was tricked into buying the physical edition, which never received proper errata, because it didn't look like we were going to get a pdf. Not to mention that the localization was a hack job and the system itself turned out to be pretty damn bad.
I feel disappointed, betrayed and a little stupid.
>>
>>50440601
>>50448051
>I have yet to receive an answer to
Sleep is a thing man.

Basically if we were making an SRS game we need to keep the following things in mind going off our conversation. Despite not being strictly an SRS game Tokyo Nova is a good template on how to do the base system correctly.

>Give adequate skill points at character creation

>Mechanical additions (alternate damage tracts, resources, alterations to scene structure, etc) need to be made to fit the style and tone of the campaign.
I like the Encrouch mechanic conceptually, it reminds me of a video game I played a couple years ago. But if it has problems than it should be fixed not removed.

>Class design should give players options, but each class should also feel unique.
I think this is a problem Double cross does have in that there is a lot of overlap in abilities across classes. They still have their areas of expertise but it's not like some other games I've read like Nechronica or TN where each class fills a specific niche.

>Use scenes intelligently
One thing I liked about TN is that it takes into account the setting and what it means to be "present" in a scene. Particularly appearance checks and giving players ways to do things while their characters aren't physically in a scene.

What else would you add to this list? I think I covered the larger points you made but lacking a lot of knowledge about other SRS systems I can only really look at the systems similar to it. I think the general idea is to look at one of the first paragraphs of the SRS translation, it isn't a generic system. It's one that has to be tooled to fit the feel of your game, trying to splash it onto anything like you would with GURPS doesn't work..

So if >>50438635 is still around, what kind of setting would you have in mind for a homebrew? Or if anyone else in the thread has an Idea just drop it.
>>
>>50449284
Sleep is for the weak.
And large cats.

>it reminds me of a video game I played a couple years ago
That wouldn't happen to be BoF: Dragon Quarter, would it?

>there is a lot of overlap in abilities across classes
Not only that, but many abilities within the same class are functionally the same. Add a few dice, add a few points, add a little damage. These utterly nondescript abilities that shouldn't even be abilities, make up the largest part of the list.
That's why I put so much emphasis on design space. Before you make classes, before you even make abilities, you have to create mechanics that these abilities and classes can use to distinguish themselves.
>>
>>50449284
How about going full retard with the class mix and match like with titan quest's 2x2 combo of various archetypes that produce individual classes?

These games love their combat and I like my weeb combo and also customization. So way I'm thinking is that instead of proper classes you instead have like aspects/approaches/archetypes or some shit regarding combat. o say melee is one, defensive shit another, summoning/minion spam, blast, etc. Or perhaps go with more specific sub-group shit like kung-fu & melee weapons vs just plain melee. And the idea is you pick your stuff you want your dude to fight with which will give you adequate numbers in fighting and rad moves.

Also tack some more non-combat shit on and tweak things to be more friendly to western notions of longevity as 90% of these Japanese games cannot into long term which limits shit.

So basically a weeb Legend D20 that can be run easier.
>>
>>50450178
>And large cats
Then I must be a jaguar.

>BoF: Dragon Quarter
That'll be the one. Except the corruption mechanic in that game didn't get reduced throughout any given playthrough. In theory DX's encroach is a means of letting your character have the anime toolset of powerups while also enforcing a harsh limit on players who spend too much and making character bonds relevant.

>design space
I think I understand what you mean by this but could you define this term? My interpretation is that you are referring to the underlying mechanics of the system. Stuff like resolution mechanics, attributes, health/MP/etc.
>>
File: topImage.jpg (352KB, 700x370px) Image search: [Google]
topImage.jpg
352KB, 700x370px
Anyone got GunDog?
>>
Tell me about ryuutama, how are the mechanics?
>>
Does anybody know anything about the Japanese GURPS supplements that were produced?

From Wikipedia:
* Translations of GURPS, 3rd (published by Kadokawa Shoten) and 4th edition
* GURPS Busin kourin - Martial arts
* GURPS Cocoon - Comical fantasy
* GURPS Damned Stalker (Gurps Youma Yakou/Hyakki Yasyou) - Modern horror
* GURPS Dragon Merc - Crossover of multi-planes
* GURPS Power up
* GURPS Ring Dream - Modern female wrestling
* GURPS RebornRebirth - Written by Shou Tomono, Tadaaki Kawahito and Group SNE; published by Hobby Base in 2006: each player character possesses his own Yuurei (guardian spirit) and fights against bad Yuureis.
* GURPS Runal/Yuel - Written by Shou Tomono and Group SNE; published by Kadokawa Shoten in 1992; "complete version" published by Fujimi Shobu in 1994. Several novels have been published based upon GURPS Runal, set in a fantasy world strongly influenced from RuneQuest: seven mysterious Moons grant magic power to their worshipers.
>>
>>50451554
>GURPS Ring Dream - Modern female wrestling
Shit, I didn't know this existed but now I need to get a copy as reference material for my never-going-to-be-completed Metal Fighter Miku game.

I've heard Runal is a fantastic setting, though I've never read anything from it myself.
>>
>>50450312
>titan quest's 2x2
Can you explain this? From what I'm reading there are 38 classes and you can pick up to two to combine them.

Having a modular class option isn't a bad sounding idea. It's what happened in the Overlord LN where the main character created his own class description by combining various types of undead and mage classes to become the overlord class (?).

I feel like you would either need to just create a broad "class" then break it up like you described and then let players pick a part from each.

So for example the ranger "class" would have three parts; Weapons proficiencies/tracking skills/Animal companion.

When making your character you have a number of slots and you can choose one from the ranger class. So if I want to be good with a bow I pick weapons, if I want some forester skills I pick the middle, and if I want an animal companion I pick the latter. This would apply to ever class and not all classes need to offer combat components.

Sounds interesting.
>>
>>50450359
Design space is space in which to design. Good underlying mechanics create design space.

If all you have is HP and MP, your design space is limited to trading MP for HP/damage.
If you add damage types, you can suddenly play with resistances and weaknesses.
If you add status conditions, you can start making tradeoffs on attacks.
Etc.

>>50451463
Easy enough to improvise, with enough going on to be interesting.
>>
>>50439866
>implementing a reverse MP system that ends up invalidating HP and any ability that interfaces with them.
Resurrect is expensive as all hell mate. Unless you spend EXP on a specific common power to boost it, you get very little and the next attack will just knock you down again, which makes shit even more costly.

Healing abilities are cheaper than actually getting knocked down, and the unless you've made it to the climactic battle of the episode with a low total, you're probably not going to want to risk getting too high too fast, or else after the fight you're going to be making emergency asspat collections.
>>
>>50451863
The enemies in the pre-made scenarios have a good chance of killing you in a single hit, regardless of your current HP.

Any of the negligible Encroachment savings from defensive and healing powers also carry the opportunity cost of not taking powers that let you finish combat sooner, thus saving everyone a lot more Encroachment.
>>
>>50451863
Also, what the hell is
>you're going to be making emergency asspat collections
supposed to mean?
>>
>>50451727
I fucked up at the math but I'm referring to the feature of Titan quest where you take 2 of the 9 masteries to produce a class but with more combo space. Each master has like 20 possible skills for a total of 40 things to pick from when you dual class. But since this is PnP things will be simplified so maybe it'll be like 12 things with 6 things underneath them.

The idea is to have a flexibility in creating your weaboo fighting moves and character concept by choosing from these areas that provide you with a pool of choices for this shit. The ideal is to try and have as many meaningfully different things spread around different aspects to chose from and re-flavor as fit. Which is in contrast a big list of individual snowflake classes and or fucking ability bloat like say Exalted where you get a bunch of shit that all does the same shit but slightly different ways mechanically speaking and some lame flavor text.

Also unlike Legend where class abilities are split between leveling speeds to gain them and your multi-classing revolves around sacrificing whole ability trees or learning speed, it's more of an open pool to pick the initial things you want. And to needlessly make things complex I'd say leveling besides giving you access to more of your pool could perhaps unlock improvements in your abilities and there could also be a special thing for all the cool kids that choose not to branch out.
>>
>>50452116
At the end of each general adventure you get your single chance to lower your encroachment, and you get more dice for doing that the more relationships you collect during the course of the episode.

So basically you're supposed to be collecting asspats from NPCs

>>50452101
Healing still has situational use, plus between-battle heals.
>>
>>50452418
That doesn't explain the "emergency" part.
Either you get those 7 Loises during the session or you don't.

>situational use
Unfortunately, situational isn't good enough when you only get 4 Powers that you have to focus on a single thing to be decent at it.
>>
>>50451727
RoC Legend has this with its "tracks" system. It's amazingly modular, shame no one will ever play it.
>>
>>50452862
Holy shit I'm reading this and it's exactly what I described with leveling up factored into it. Why would nobody play this?
>>
>>50453366
Because it's incredibly draining on the GM.
Lots of mechanics to keep track of and no Monster Manual.
And there are no monster creation rules. Monsters are created exactly the same way as PCs.
>>
>>50445789
I heard that the SMT tabletops are unfortunately pretty bad.
>>
>>50454152
I've heard that one of them is actually decent, but for the life of me I can't remember which one it is.
>>
>>50454244
New to me but I hope that one will get translated. I just need some good persuasion mechanic/stats and that's all
>>
>>50454280
No scan, no translation.
Them's the breaks.
>>
File: Yamoto Koki.jpg (349KB, 684x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Yamoto Koki.jpg
349KB, 684x1000px
Looks like I'll be playing a game of Shinobigami this weekend. I'm pretty hype considering how light it is mechanically.

Thanks to the thread for making me aware of it.
>>
>>50454565
Hope you have fun! It's a really neat game.
>>
>>50441097
>>50441286

The translation of the mechanics and rules are very good. I was also translating TNX for personal use and was relieved to be able to double check on some of the harder parts.

As it is an abridged translation, it drops the ball on some fluff and thematic references. Things like corporations and some locations aren't translated, so it leaves a lot out that is necessary for running a game in the default setting.

Some poor quality scans of the maps that came along with the book (not affiliated with the translation provided earlier, so there may be dfferent names etc.). Seem to fit into the World guide pdf file.

https://mega.nz/#!uB4BXR5J!8ftlET4SaHhdzTlf7-ilJAANWNlEG7rhSApsmclZAbI
>>
In Meikyuu Kingdom, Hope and Drive are the same thing, right?
It seems to be using the two words interchangeably. Spending Hope, recovering Drive, etc.
>>
>>50456698
Hope consists of both Drive and Voices of the People. Drive is restricted to a single character and has a maximum equal to your Capacity; Voices of the People are shared, need group consent to spend, and cause problems for the Kingdom if the number falls too low.

Any time the rules say "Hope" it can apply to either Drive or VotP.
>>
>>50456794
I understand, thank you.
>>
>>50455408
Thanks, I'm interested in running TNX and the rules are fantastic. It's a shame we'll probably not get an official release because I feel like this system could do well over here in the states.
>>
So, me and my mates are looking for something new, but most of the stuff we can find doesn't really interest us. Any notable and translated RPG systems to recommend?
>>
>>50452862
Well legend is an inspiration but this aims to be more reductive in the presentation of the modular abilities as well as fungibility. Legend's track system is based on classes and their perceived roles in combat since it's a D&D derivative and each track is a skill tree tied to the class' thematic functions in combat and you swap out the skill trees and their rate of learning to craft your character and that's cool.

The problem with legend is the guy in charge got hired and left which effectively killed the game and left it with the problems >>50453529 described especially the latter parts about it giving no support on making the creation of opposition easier in a combat oriented game. Also I'd like to add I can't be bothered with the grid based combat the game is structured on.

However mechanically I'm thinking more Titan Quest with its masteries, where you got like these archetypes to choose that let you do stuff under their purview and you mix things up. But where as Titan Quest gives you two skill trees that you level up into, here the idea is that by picking these areas you get a pool of things to choose from which can be combined together to do neat things. Leveling would allow for picking more abilities from your pool, improving existing abilities, and possibly learning advanced shit that requires higher levels to attain.

So say you wanted to do a guy who punches real well with electricity and can heal. So you'd then take shit from the healing/support, unarmed, and lightning element areas and pick stuff that works for your dude and then fluff all the crunch into something coherent to the character's concept.
>>
What exactly makes Landmakers so special in Meikyuu Kingdom? Can they control/stabilize the dungeon and thus keep it habitable for people?
>>
>>50461341
Ryuutama
Tenra Bansho Zero
Tokyo Nova
Shinobigami
Maid RPG
Nechronica
Make You Kingdom
Golden Sky Stories
Crisis Heroine
Grancrest

There are a few more notable ones, but they're only notable in how incompetently designed they are.
>>
>>50461450
Man that does not sound promising.
I'll take a gander at them.
Thanks for the work, mate.
>>
>>50461433
Pretty much. Unfortunately the fluff for mayokin's setting is untranslated outside of this blogpost and even then it's rough and missing coverage on the big NPC factions.

But it amounts to a long time ago shit got fucked by magic and now the world operates like a procedurally generated roguelike and the lands occasionally reform themselves thanks to what is called a kernel and a process called dungeonification. This is bad not only because hospitable lands can be warped to inhospitable lands but also because the dungeonification can infect living beings which is serious body horror shit and will warp you into a horrible mutant.

Kernels are found in dungeons and are a physical entity of the code responsible for dungeon creation and the rulers and people with certain abilities can hack into the code and reprogram it to change shit. One of the advanced classes is literally called the dungeon master and it's fluff I think is basically you get a kernel lodged into your body which lets you control shit easier but at risk of getting dungeonified.
>>
>>50461450

I'm looking forward to Shinobigami to be honestly, I mean it sounds interesting at least.
>>
>>50461459
Mind, this is only the translated games we're talking about and there are only two notably bad games I can think of off the top of my head.

Double Cross is one of those games that goes: "Look at this awesome and innovative thing we've come up with!" where that awesome and innovative thing ends up being largely detrimental to the system. The localization just heaps more mind-boggling incompetence on top.

And Night Wizard is the diametrical opposite to Tokyo Nova.
TN has 22 classes, which all feel different, fascinating non-combat mechanics and exciting, lethal combat.
NW has even more classes, roughly 75 percent of which are not really mechanically distinguishable, absolutely no non-combat mechanics on top of the setting disallowing any sort of meaningful interaction outside of combat and combat itself is a featureless HP-whittling slog.

The Log Horizon RPG is worth a look if you have players who are into the series, but something about the system just feels off.

As far as untranslated games go, there is an ocean of shit to wade through, thanks to Japan's equivalent of the d20 system, but there are also lots of jewels that have yet to be scanned.
>>
Crisis Heroine Translation Status: Crisis Acts are complete.

All that remains is fluff and optional rules, which includes an optional Evil Corps rules which provides a framework for a GM to run a sessions dungeon with a Dungeon-keeper-esque management system
>>
>>50461433
Just like PCs in practically any other game, they're just more powerful than everybody else.
>>
>>50462156
Is Night Wizards worth salvaging into another system?
>>
>>50465812
There isn't really anything to salvage.
None of the mechanics are interesting and the setting boils down to "You're all Wizards. Beings from beyond reality prey on muggles, so you have to kill them. But your powers are from beyond reality, too, so if even just a single muggle sees those powers, reality re-establishes itself by PERMANENTLY ERASING YOU AND EVERYONE LIKE YOU FROM EXISTENCE. Have fun."
>>
>>50466013
Wow that's aggressively self-limiting and generic enough to let you make your own more fun/interesting riff on the concept.
>>
>>50466013
Sounds like Mage the Ascension but with every paradox effect set to Old Man Wrinkle tiers of backlash. I'd actually be down for that.

Don't they create pocket dimensions to duke it out and avoid muggles?
>>
>>50466013
>>50466081
>>50466114
>"You're all Wizards. Beings from beyond reality prey on muggles, so you have to kill them. But your powers are from beyond reality, too, so if even just a single muggle sees those powers, reality re-establishes itself by PERMANENTLY ERASING YOU AND EVERYONE LIKE YOU FROM EXISTENCE. Have fun."
It's not to that severe an extent, but the broad strokes are there. You are secretly magic users fighting a secret war with monsters and anything that threatens the world and its inhabitants. If you have to fight, you typically throw down in an alternate realm away from the regular people. This is important, because your powers are governed by belief; if a regular person sees you using your powers and don't believe what they're seeing, reality takes over and causes your powers to not work. If you're flying on a broom overhead and a muggle sees you, you will drop like a rock.
>>
>>50466240
In short: fight monsters, and maintain the masquerade if you want your powers to keep working.

I'm sure you can take this in a number of directions.
>>
>>50466240
I do remember reading something about werewolves, I think, getting erased if the World Barrier gets wind of them via muggle observation.

The details don't really matter, because it's primarily just an excuse to keep you from doing anything outside of Lunar Caskets so they didn't have to put in any sort of non-combat mechanics whatsoever.
>>
File: yaa gomen gomen.jpg (27KB, 436x467px) Image search: [Google]
yaa gomen gomen.jpg
27KB, 436x467px
>>
Where would I go about finding a translation of the Grancrest RPG? With the anime coming next year I want to run a short campaign of it with some buddies beforehand.
>>
>>50470255
https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ!HcsVBRzY
>>
>>50470255
Here you go!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/usjaiy5f4ja86c2/Grancrest+RPG+Rulebook+1.pdf
>>
>>50470298
>>50470300
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks anon. Too bad the translated PDFs don't really include images.
>>
>>50470255
An anime?
I smell shoddy franchising practices.

Is the Grancrest actually based off of a LN or are they really making an anime for a RPG?
>>
>>50470332
LN
>>50470325
Yeah, that's the same issue with the TN translation unfortunately
>>
Speaking of Grancrest is there a scan of the second book which I believe contains higher level abilities and rules covering the pockets of chaos that pop up in the world
>>
>>50470332
The novels and the game were almost certainly conceived of together.
>>
>>50470473
I don't have scans, but I do own the book(s), and well. The readme will say it all, but this discussion of Grancrest has pushed me to want to release something I've been working on.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c2rkmtil1lkc8j3/Grancrest_Extra.rar

So this is two spreadsheets and a text document. One spreadsheet contains literally all of the academy supports, artifacts, Forces, Force Abilities, and Force Options spread out across all five books with stuff in them. The second Spreadsheet has a shitton of new abilities, new classes, new items, and more. The text file has some new rules found in book 2.

All translated, of course.

It's not complete by any means, but well. I lost steam, what can I say. I hope you get some enjoyment though.
>>
>>50470946
neat
>>
>>50470946
Much appreciate. I will let my players pick and choose from the list.

I am going to try to make a translation of the character sheet so I can hand it out to the guys, rather than having them do everything entirely with text.
>>
>>50471236
If you open up the Grancrest PDF, they actually have translations of the sheets at the very end. You could just print those out?
>>
Rough translation of Giant Allege's rules done.

I still need to go over it to clarify a few things and clean up the language before putting it all in a PDF.
Not going to offer a deadline on this, especially since I'll need some help from people in a different timezone, so coordination is a bit difficult.
>>
>>50459421

After running it for a few scenarios, I found it best for fast paced action scenarios and movie plot structuring.

You can run the games in any way you want, but it works best if you follow the scenario rules, give player characters their motivations as well as their purposes in the scenario and use ruler scenes and all. It can seem rail roady, but it's supposed to be like a group effort improv. I like the fact that the player characters don't have to form a party for them to advance in a scenario.

I really recommend you get the core book because the Tarot cards alone are really neat. If not, use some proxy tarot deck.
>>
>>50470946

I fucking love Grancrest. Thanks Anon! This new info should give enough material for a campaign.
>>
So anyone got experience with meikyuu and got a feel on like how often to award village population increases and the talents? I feel like that's a thing that's lacking in the translation as the gaining of those two things aren't addressed well.
>>
>>50474130
Literally whenever a roll on a table says to do it.

It's probably best to conceive of it as something like Dwarf Fortress or Civilization (on high difficulties) where you go into it expecting to die and just have fun watching everything burn, but if you start off pretty well, THEN you start thinking about really trying to build things up.

If you really want to you can give talents as rewards for successful adventures, but also remember that at the start of a new game you can always create a new character, and leave your old character behind to use as a talent (the total number of Landmakers serves as a threshold for the VotP causing rolls on the Kingdom Disaster Table, so you can only do this so many times). If you are in a relatively stable position, you should start trying to boost your kingdom's Order level, which acts as a modifier for new citizen bonuses on a successful adventure. You can also try to recruit any neutral or friendly monsters you come across to add them to your population.

A Medic and/or a Stretcher help mitigate population losses during the dungeon phase. I believe there is a between-session option to try encourage population growth.

It's really a min-maxer's paradise, as there are all sorts of tiny fungible elements that, if you aim for one specific goal, you can really start to pile on the bonuses to that one thing.
>>
ded
>>
>>50470946

Oh man, thank you! I'd love to see more, of course. But this stuff is great.
>>
>>50474536
There's this Meikyuu Kingdom wiki that's in Japanese but is just barely comprehensible enough in Google translate. From what I understand, it has tons of way to optimize, particularly with facility selection and placement.
>>
>>50479548
This one:
http://www18.atwiki.jp/makeyou_kingdom/

It also has a ton of information on stuff from the game's supplements.
>>
File: pkp1-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp1-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Also in case anybody cares for some reason, Meikyuu Kingdom papercraft monsters
>>
File: pkp1-2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp1-2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480708
>>
File: pkp1-3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp1-3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480717
>>
File: pkp1-4.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp1-4.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480727
>>
File: pkp2-0.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp2-0.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480741
>>
File: pkp2-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp2-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480752
>>
File: pkp2-2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp2-2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480759
>>
File: pkp2-3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp2-3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480773
>>
File: pkp3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pkp3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50480789
>>
>>50480708
dat bacura
>>
<<Resurrect>>
>>
>>50483833
Please don't jinx us.
>>
>>50480708
>>50480717
>>50480727
>>50480752
>>50480759
>>50480773
>>50480789
>>50480804
Cheers mate, I've been looking for these for ages
>>
>>50417225
>108 hours old thread
>Still on /tg/
>Still below 200 posts
WTF is going with this board?!
>>
>>50487022
please don't do this
>>
>>50487022
Sometimes good things are savoured slowly
>>
Any early game advice for running Meikyuu Kingdom?
Especially as far as rewards for early game quests?
Maybe facilities and materials that help a kingdom get up and running?

Large amounts of meat and a storage facility, so they don't starve?
>>
>>50487022

>How to spot a faggot from /v/ during his first week on /tg/
>>
>>50487022
>less than a week
Son...
>>
>>50487465
meat is a crafting item that's kinda low tier compared to other mats that got broad usages in the recipes.

The thing about lunches is that low level mobs give free lunches on the treasure table as a roll and then you got the chef job items which let you get meat at will with some special bonuses so meat for lunches really isn't a big issue.

As for early game I'd say if they weren't lucky to get a population boost during kingdom gen to throw them a bone and let them to level 2 so they can actually get skills from the skill trees their job grants them. Also I'd say give them extra cash so they can at the very least buy supply depots to start stockpiling mats for crafting.
>>
>>50489324
>As for early game I'd say if they weren't lucky to get a population boost during kingdom gen to throw them a bone and let them to level 2
You get a base 50 population plus however many Landmakers you have, so you should always at least start with a Kingdom Level of 2 (whether you'll still have 50+ after the first adventure, even if you complete it, is up in the air though).
>>
>>50489324
Ok, so population, to make sure they have a buffer to stay at kingdom level 2
and cash so they can figure out facilities for themselves, and go with whatever

would you happen to know where these treasure tables are?
>>
>>50489425
Near the end of the combat chapter.
>>
>>50489436
I see them now, thank you.
>>
>>50489425
Also I'd say that a future thing to remind them about relationship building cuz once they hit level 4 you can obtain a special relationship which grants you pretty good bonuses. And manipulating them will require the usage of not only the camp table but items and facilities.
>>
In Meikyuu Kingdom, Culture level determines how many Talents you can activate in a game.
That also applies to permanent-type Talents, right?
>>
>>50492226
Yeah. But with permanent types culture level is more like slots available to equip them.
>>
>>50492409
Ok, thanks
>>50492226 more questions
1 Can the players only purchase one Facility per Treasury phase?
(and there are two Treasury phases per game, one before, and one after than dungeon phase)

2 There are way too few results on the kingdom change table, and they are mostly way to huge an effect. Do you really roll it for every Landmaker that makes it home?
Does anyone have an bigger or different charts?

3 What are monster clans? the translated pdf skips this whole section

4 how often can a player use the interrupt power of the cloak item, and interrupts in general (that don't exhaust the user)
the cloak item replaces your defense with your quest check, is my example, and it just says whenever you're attacked, so I assume you can use it as many times in a round as you want, possibly even while exhausted
>>
>>50492811
>Can the players only purchase one Facility per Treasury phase?
The rules spell out that any number of requests can be made and granted.

>Do you really roll it for every Landmaker that makes it home?
Yes, the rules specifically state that.

>how often can a player use the interrupt power of the cloak item, and interrupts in general (that don't exhaust the user)
>the cloak item replaces your defense with your quest check, is my example, and it just says whenever you're attacked, so I assume you can use it as many times in a round as you want, possibly even while exhausted
The rules explicitly state that you can use Interrupts without becoming Exhausted and even if you are Exhausted. They also make it clear that you can use any given Interrupt once per cycle, meaning once per round in combat.
>>
>Shinobigami book possibly delayed, but the supplement is in printing or something
I'm really interested in those reskins.
>>
>>50492811
>What are monster clans?
Mechanically speaking, they're templates that you can add to certain monsters that give them some kind of special ability and a drawback.
>>
>>50496499
>Trigun/PSO2 Wild West Reskin
>Magical Girl Anime Reskin
Both sound interesting. I'm wondering how the first two even combine, though.
>>
>>50496499
I would be more interested in getting more Saikoro Fiction games so we can analyze what people have done with the system and start homebrewing.
>>
>>50498417
I wonder that too, Trigun would combine better with the Wild Arms series
>>
>>50493526
Thanks for the answers.
For the change table, I'm aware it says to do that, what I'm asking is how that actually plays out at the table.
Does the whole kingdom get drastically changed in between every game?
>>
Rolled 1, 5, 1, 6, 1, 6, 2, 3, 2, 2 = 29 (10d6)

>>50501130
Well, let's see.

A court of 5 landmakers returns from its successful venture into the dungeon.
While they were away...
>>
>>50501130
Most of the results aren't as big as I think you're making them out to be. Six of them only give you a chance to make a roll for a bonus, for example. The rest have results like a handful of population, an extra gold, the opportunity to buy a new region (if you even have enough money to afford it), etc...

Regardless of whether you succeed or fail at an adventure, there's a good chance that you could end up with more significant rewards through careful use of wandering during the kingdom phase and/or resting during the camp step. The game's reward structure is supposed to be largely player driven, with them deciding on what they want and then working towards it.
>>
Rolled 5, 5, 4, 4, 1, 2, 1 = 22 (7d6)

>>50501307
...the Kingdom has expanded to a neighboring territory, gaining...
>>
>>50501386
...five new rooms; fourteen children have grown up to be full-fledged citizens of the Kingdom; the hard work of the citizens has earned the Kingdom 2 MG; and an attack by angry dungeon dwellers has cost the Kingdom its newly acquired territory.

Total change: +14 citizens, -3 MG, -2 VotP.
Not that much of a difference, really.
>>
>>50501468
territories getting gained and lost so fast is surprising
maybe after the first couple quests, once you've got more than one, it's less of a big deal then I think it is
thanks for going through it
>>
>>50501546
You can (and probably should, if you can afford it) also burn VotP or potentially use other items or abilities to modify rolls with pretty drastic consequences like that one.
>>
>>50501623
Which you will notice I did in my example, though I probably should have spent two instead of one.
>>
>>50501623
>>50501638
I understand, thank you again
I'm even more excited to run it now
>>
>>50498636
The reskins are coming out with Shinobigami some time, so that's a done deal. What other Sai-Fi games are there, anyways?

I know Kancolle uses some of the system, then Magicalogia, and some other game about kids. That's all can think of, though.

>>50499821
Wild Arms/Trigun would be a good combo. Maybe they'll do something interesting, I guess? All I know is that "Robots, Elves, and Cowboys" is what we're getting. Nothing wrong with it
>>
>>50502348
The full list is:

Peekaboo
Shinobigami
Hunter's Moon
Magicalogia
Blood Crusade
Card Ranker
Insane
Kill Death Business
Blood Moon
Kancolle RPG
Beginning Idol
>>
Has anyone ever done a group effort to expand some of the meikyuu kingdom tables?
Naming tables in particular (and similarly flavour-focused non-mechanical tables) feel like they'd benefit from a d100 table of suggestions from randomers online.
>>
>>50502445
>Card Ranker
Isn't that the Not-Yugioh Card Games on Motorcycles one?
>>
>>50502775
Exactly.
The rules do not actually include the "on motorcycles" part, but the Replay throws it in anyway.
>>
File: cover_cardranker.jpg (105KB, 280x450px) Image search: [Google]
cover_cardranker.jpg
105KB, 280x450px
>>50502904
Damn, now I'm interested. And I won't be seeing it any time ever.
>>
>>50502955
Card Ranker is said to be one of the poorer games made with that system, so I don't think it's too big a loss.
>>
How far along is the Meikyuu Kingdom fanlation? Still just the rules from '13?

On that note, where can I even find the PF these days? Casual Googling turned up nothing.
>>
Did anyone ever do anything beyond a rough review with no translation of that Dragon Half RPG? Hell, even just some scans would be great. I even looked around in Tokyo once - couldn't find shit.
>>
>>50504414
Only rules.

Fluff is only partially translated on some blog but didn't cover the big factions of the setting or monster clan shit
>>
File: its a start.jpg (57KB, 487x667px) Image search: [Google]
its a start.jpg
57KB, 487x667px
Any tips for someone putting together his first game of Meikyuu Kingdom?
Common stumbling points, or confusing bits, or anything.
I'm equipped only with the translated pdf, the untranslated books (for pictures), and the blog that started the fluff translation, which I have not read yet.

Currently working on a couple low level dungeons, using the threat placement limit table on translated page 160.
I don't have any real questions, just really happy to see a thread including this game, and hoping for any general advice.
>>
File: coronation.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
coronation.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50508475
I translated this sample scenario a while back if you want some kind of reference point.
>>
>>50508633
Thank you, stuff like this is a big help.
>>
Didn't someone once translate the rules of Meikyuu Kingdom into English?
>>
>>50508475
One important thing to remember is that while the game's mechanical framework is really interesting, it doesn't have to be the be-all end-all of the game either. The boardgamey nature may put you off "roleplaying" but there's still lots of room for that, especially in regards to character interactions and trying to express your character's personality.

While the dungeon maps may be simple interconnected squares, the rooms you describe can be as weird and/or complex as you want them to be.

For many, the heart of the game really is rolling on random tables, seeing what happens, and then reacting to them or having to improvise an explanation for how the result fits into your greater narrative. While not the only way to play MK, it does lend itself to a rather whimsical and tongue-in-cheek style, and sometimes just saying the first thing that comes to mind whenever something unexpected happens, even if it's a very outlandish justification, can actually fit into the game well.
>>
>>50504666
Oh man don't tempt me to go trolling through amazon japan sellers, I have some cash to spare and the exchange rate is great right now.
>>
File: tb3223a.png (280KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tb3223a.png
280KB, 400x400px
I'm getting ready to run TNX, and need suggestions on what kind of playing cards I should get for it.

My main problem is that most aesthetically pleasing card decks are made out paper, which break and bend easily. 100 % plastic are preferred, but plastic coated cards will suffice. I'm specifically looking for cyber punk or scifi themed playing cards.
>>
Are there TNX raws out there? I want to see what the translation missed.
>>
>>50466932

iirc Night Wizard came inspired an Alicesoft eroge titled Square of the Moon, where you're a highschool student who gets caught up in supernatural stuff and ends up doing normal school things during the day and then go fight monsters at night during a period when a second moon appears. (if you think that sorta sounds familiar, there's likely some borrowing/homage between Square of the Moon/Night Wizard and Persona 3. Something something Moon something something Caskets.)

So it's proooobably really mostly there for people to freeform their anime highschool life shenanigans when they're not doing their Persona 3 dungeon runs, hence the default Kimei Academy thing. (not that it excuses the lack of system support for out of dungeon shenanigans).

If something magical is shitting things up -outside- of a Lunar Casket or equivalent, things are either going to hell or it's an enemy that doesn't want a muggle to look at him either. (though I heard there's a new sort of enemy popping up in 3e ? not sure what's their deal mechanically tho)

>>50466114
>>50466289

The monsters need to play by the masquerade rules too. It's part of the reason why they take recognizable shapes like skeletons, goblins, etc. hence their name; Emulators.

And they need the barrier/dungeon Lunar Casket to exist here. They are expanding Lunar Caskets to overwrite the World Barrier.
>>
>>50513236

>iirc Night Wizard came inspired an Alicesoft eroge

I meant more like 'was inspired from', blargh.
>>
>>50513170
I'm genuinely curious. What do you hope to find? (Not that I have raws anyway.)
>>
File: queen.jpg (268KB, 650x907px) Image search: [Google]
queen.jpg
268KB, 650x907px
>>50513125
Are you looking for something like Bicycle Synthesis or am I misinterpreting your needs/desires here?
>>
>>50513402
I want to look at the book itself rather than some .txts on Pastebin like last time.
>>
>>50513469

Bicycle custom art decks have paper cards. I'm looking for plastic cards with cyberpunk themes or art.

But feel free to suggest paper card decks as well.

>>50513170
Quickly going through the book here. The abridged translation are missing organisation guide (describe corps and organizations), premade characters and premade adventures.
>>
>>50513603
I think the Synthesis deck is coated paper, but I don't know enough about playing card construction to know if their coated cards are just crap or a marketing buzzword or whatever.
>>
Crisis Heroine done?
>>
>>50512826
Do it! 8(
And then scan everything
>>
>>50517261
I forgot (because I tried this before, I now recall) that amazon japan won't ship DHRPG to the USA because DH is ecchi.
>>
>>50444893
Do you have a link to the discord?
>>
>>50520191
Fiercely disappointed right now
>>
>>50520322
Me too. It's not the only game amazon fucked me on this way either, and all the people I know who live in Japan I'm not really close enough with to ask them to re-ship things for me.
>>
>>50520191
can't you use a proxy or middleman?
>>
dead thread
>>
Bumpity bump
What kind of sources should I look at to get a feel for the Tokyo Nova Setting.
>>
>>50520508
Does anyone know what happened to the Owl person who said they'd scan it?
(source: comment on that one blog post that reviews the Dragon Half RPG)
>>
>>50526209

Based on the knock off items that are in the core rulebook: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis.

You can also check out Dominion Tank Police and Kikokugai.
>>
>>50422051
normal girl mania island

otherwise known as lambiland....
>>
File: hanumann.jpg (50KB, 819x705px) Image search: [Google]
hanumann.jpg
50KB, 819x705px
I've played a pure Hanumann in a Double Cross campaign every week for a year AMA
>>
Nips have a handy TNX character database site, which also has a character generator.

http://character-sheets.appspot.com/tnx/edit.html

I downloaded the page and made a quick translation of it. Obviously I cannot into javascript or css.

https://mega.nz/#!fEgFGTqJ!R580TZjm5fMWuVvrc0aTW0grNNMXs3p2FFA6A9OFkmU
>>
anyone remember the name of that cute manga/comic strip thing of highschool girls having an rpg club? I thought I had it bookmarked but I can't find the translations now.
>>
>>50516052
All the official rules. Optional Rules and Fluff need to be worked on.
>>
>>50527157
Quick Start, that's what it is.
>>
I just bought four new books and I blame all of you. Fuck these threads.
>>
>>50527350
SRS or not?
>>
>>50527396
no
>>
>>50527023
My condolences.
>>
>>50527760
How so? I was the most productive and powerful party member.

Stronger than the Chimera, best init, a whole bunch of simple powers that just made half the plot points a non-issue

Really, the problem we got and why we had to stop playing was that we got *too* Powerful and were unleashing attacks that cost like 100 encroach to solve encounters and call it a day.
>>
>>50527958

As someone who GM'd a 6 month campaign, yeah once you get around 200xp or so, the system kinda starts to breakdown and your suddenly playing early tier DBZ in Tokyo.
>>
>>50528034
375 XP before our GM cried uncle

besides, by the end, we were more playing slice of life with villains of the week.
>>
>>50528069

"Shit I Don't even have a date to the prom yet and I still have to knock off an entire super-meth cartel before class!"
>>
>>50528121
"Make a Keep Toast In Mouth check."
>>
>>50527958
What were the Loises and Tituses like in your campaign? That's what I find most interesting about DX.

Did your characters game the fuck out of the system and leave a trail of broken relationships in your wake? Did the GM capitalize on that?
>>
>>50528545
Fun fact: we never ever ever turned our loises into Titus.

We were way too attached to our relationships for that, and we had complete arcs revolving around them. We'd rather take no XP than turn them into Titus and shit.
>>
>>50528839
That's actually pretty cool. What was the party?
>>
>>50528344
You failed.
Fight for control of john, go!
>>
>>50528868
There was me, Ian, codename Middleman, Pure Hanumann Half-American/Half-American son of a mafioso, next head of the family, sent to City N because shit was bad in the US and they had Yakuza friends there. Also the only one in the party that entirely relied on weapons. His role was utility and DPS.

Mary, codename Mary, Pure Angel Halo, was a renegade being that considered itself to be the reborn spirit of a Miko that was murdered by American sailors shortly after the end of Japan's isolation from the rest of the world. She was the local fortuneteller and a bit of a child creeper despite her own good nature. Her role was buffs and blasts.

Junko, codename Beast King, pure Chimera, was basically just a musclegirl that bullied bullies at school, with the twist that she did that because her father was a criminal and she didn't want others to go down that path. Tank of the party.

Jamie, codename Playback, pure Neumann, American transfer who really was a detective that was contracted by the UGN. Had a brother who was deahtly ill until a woman promised her a single wish if she would owe her a favor. This event both cured her brother and awakened her renegade. Pretended to the party she wasn't a renegade by wearing an anti-renegade mask and using powers that -could- make sense for a normal human to have if they were just very well trained, until the big reveal like 8 months into our campaign.
>>
>>50529337
>Half-American/Half-American

I mean Half-Japanese/Half-American
>>
>>50529337
That all sounds appropriately anime. Your party sounds fun! Did the GM even try to use the strict structure used by the book? You mentioned simple powers short circuiting the plot, and yeah I could totally see that happening.

DX is weird like that. Super strict structure, but the cool powers don't mesh with it.
>>
>>50529703
No, not at all. He looked at the plot hooks and stories offered by the books, and realized they were super dependent on the PCs just standing there and not acting to stop the villains while they gloated, or while they were kidnapping their friends in front of them for whatever.

We used City N and the organisations plenty, we just made our own stories with it.

The game was also never clear about if the False heart agents were Renegades or Germs. The Big Bad Doctor Whatever has an encroachment of like 370% and no less than a 20 in every stat, is he a Germ or a renegade?

The game stayed super vague about the difference between Renegade and Germs (besides the fact that Renegades were basically the 1%), and seems to -imply- that Germs have no intelligence, but I think this was some kind of mistranslation, more that Germs -are- smart, just with very different needs and goals.
>>
>>50529768
My personal interpretation of the wacky Encroachment numbers was "this is how far they can stretch their Encroach out without turning into a Germ, that's how crazy powerful they are."

But I only did that because I assumed Germs were, you know, horrible looking, not human-looking.
>>
>>50529792
How would you portray a Neumann germ?
>>
>>50529768
Renegade is the virus.
Overed are the superpowered humans.

If they're just a bit above 100%, you can make a point for them still being Overeds, but with an Encroachment of 370%, there is no way for the main antagonist to not be a Germ.

Germs can either be deformed, unintelligent monstrosities or the equivalent of Tenra Bansho Zero's Asura.
They retain their human appearance and mental faculties, but everything they do only serves to satisfy their Impulse.

>>50530125
Inhumanly cold and calculating in addition to whatever their Impulse says.
>>
>>50527958
My condolences to your fellow players, then.
>>
>>50531725
Bweh, the campaign ended like 8 months ago. I keep confusing Renegade and Overed as terms.
>>
>>50530125
Evil, Emotionless Smart person?
>>
Uploading Metal Head's shitty manga intro.
>>
>>50529768
Damn, sounds like your game actually went as well as it could have. The system just can't handle super long term play. Did the campaign end with a bang for a whimper? Did the party end up dealing with Cauldwell and beating False Hearts?
>>
Bum
>>
Sorry for the late reply but some people were looking for the Meikyuu Kingdom old translation? Well, here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d84k2xsad3hrb89/Make_You_Kingdom_Draft.pdf
>>
>>50529768
>they were super dependent on the PCs just standing there and not acting to stop the villains while they gloated, or while they were kidnapping their friends in front of them for whatever

It may not be billed exactly as such, but it still is a superhero game, so that is par for the course.
>>
>>50527350
Are you going to scan them?
>>
>>50527350
>>50546598
Please say yes
>>
File: 514751.jpg (1MB, 2948x1600px) Image search: [Google]
514751.jpg
1MB, 2948x1600px
Anyone playing Log Horizon? I've been thinking about starting a game for my friends.
>>
>>50538357
Nah, not Caudwell himself, in our setting, the False Hearts' branch in City N was just one amongst many, just like how we were just part of the City N branch of the UGN (in our setting, the UGN was pretty much operating like XCom).

We did dismantle the False hearts' cell in City N, and our campaign ended with the HQ of the UGN in the UN handpicking our team of runners to dismantle a Cauldwell plot Europe, and we did have a spar with him, but he got away. Still, though, we got most of the high command of the False Hearts and we expect it'll have repercussions for many years.

My PC pretty much gave in his UGN agent badge and went rogue afterwards because he promised this was his final run to his sister, who had found out the truth about her brother's powers.

Our GM was planning a sequel in which he heavily reworked the system, set 20 years later in Neo City N, but that fell through.
Thread posts: 294
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.