[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General GURPSGEN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 57

File: 1476422929344.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1476422929344.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Underrated Advantages Edition

>The Generic Universal RolePlaying System, or GURPS, is a tabletop role-playing game system designed to allow for play in any game setting. It was created by Steve Jackson Games and first published in 1986 at a time when most such systems were story- or genre-specific.

>The image is a PDF

What advantages do you see people overlook a lot? What is your favorite hidden gem?
>>
I don't know if it's exactly "overlooked", but you can never have enough night vision.

FUCK light penalties
>>
>>50416958
For me it's got to be reputation. For 5 points you can snag +2 to reaction rolls from a huge group of people you get to define. This is way cheaper then other ways to get a reaction bonus and I rarely see people take advantage of it.
>>
Lets say I want to kick a tree.
How would the damage get calculated? Would my leg get broken in the process?
>>
>>50417169

Only attacks that self-harm are usually slams, though with harsh reality optional rules you can hurt your hand by punching a hard object.

To calculate damage, figure out the tree's DR+HP, then kick it. Using forced entry skill to reduce the tree's DR before kicking it. Roll damage as usual per kicks.
>>
>>50417180
>though with harsh reality optional rules
Interesting.
Tell me more about them.
>>
>>50417201

If you punch something with DR 3 or more I think it was, you'll hurt your fingers. It's in basic Set, just word search "harsh realism for unarmed fighters" or somesuch.
>>
File: tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo1_540.jpg (168KB, 539x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo1_540.jpg
168KB, 539x810px
>>50417201

Basic Set 379.

More or less if you strike non-flexible DR, like the kinds that trees has, you take 1/5th the damage you deal directly to your hands, feet, forehead, ect.

Note that your boots provide protection from this, so would gauntlets or gloves, generally enough to shrug off any damage someone without tremendous ST would deal to them self.

>>50416958
Night Vision is pretty amazing as it doesn't just make it easier to spot things in the dark, it one-for-one negates penalties for doing just about everything in bad light. With Night Vision 5 you will never take worse then 4 in penalties as long as there is any light at all.
>>
>>50416250
>Glossing over Reign of Steel, looking for interesting robot templates.
>Cat girl pic, turns out to actually be a jaguar girl.
>"Lecherous" listed as common disadvantage for them and Attractive as racial advantage.
>Check cover.
>By David Pulver
Pulveeeeeeeeeeeeeer.
>>
>>50418216

Sounds like a setting by Pulver alright.
>>
>>50418216

The hero we deserve.
>>
>>50418216
>no catgirls in Banestorm
What blasphemy is this?
>>
>>50418779

David Pulver wasn't involved.
>>
Goddammit gurpsgen, don't die on me.

What's your favorite book?
>>
>>50420753
Martial Arts and Low-Tech. Don't make me choose.
>>
>>50420753

If you want it to live, just pick your favorite out off:
>the lifting still is stupid
>damage/dr/strenght balance is bad
>the ultratech weapons suck
>tips on how to make a campaign? I was thinking 250 points with -125 in disads
>>
>>50420930
>>tips on how to make a campaign? I was thinking 250 points with -125 in disads
Jesus christ.
The one I'm in has 100 points and 23 in disadvantages and quirks.
>>50417714
Interesting.
Do knuckledusters count?
>>
>>50422406
>Do knuckledusters count?

Nope. Punch away, friend.

>>50420848
Unpopular opinion time?

I think Martial Arts is unnecessary. Not bad, but it expands on a bunch of stuff that the Basic Set already did well. Unless you are playing a game where the very gritty close combat details will add a lot you don't need to use it.
>>
>>50422974
I meant do they provide protection.
I already have power blow charged for twice the strength and my base ST is 10.
Another player who's up that tree thinks that I just hate him as a player because in the other campaign we're playing I killed him out of sheer rage while the reason I killed him was that my character was racistic as fuck while his character was a nigger
>>
>>50423053
Knuckledusters mean you don't take damage when punching. Gauntlets don't keep you from taking damage, but do reduce any damage to your hands via DR.

There's a few heavy punching gauntlets in Low Tech that give bonus unarmed damage and DR, these mean you don't take damage just like brass knuckles.
>>
>>50420930
If you really want to bump the thread you can mention the economy/cost of living
>>
>>50423713

Oh fuck cost of living. How the shit does it even work?
>>
>>50423726
Probably it's one of the things you only take into account when skipping time.
>>
>>50423726
I just use it as 600 a month to cover room, board, wardrobe and basic transportation. Rations are $30 a week, ect.
>>
shameless plugging
GrimWyrd is getting session logs updated, finally
https://kendelyzer.wordpress.com/
>>
>>50425612
>GrimWyrd
yay!

Are we all just chatting in the new GURPS discord instead of in here now?
>>
>>50423726
On *a* level, it makes sense: higher Status means higher standard of living, which means more money spent. Average peasants back in the day count as negative Status not just because shit sucked, but as a bandaid to this system (a serf cannot make enough money at TL3 to pay Status 0 CoL each month, but they can manage Status -1/-2). We can probably extrapolate on this and assume higher-TL average citizens are default Status 1+. Would modern CoL prices make more sense if we assume we're at the beginning of TL9 (ubiquitous smartphones, drone warfare, beginnings of mounted gauss/vacuum weapons, etc.) and most westerners are at Status 1?
>>
>>50416946
In the Powered up book there's rules to have minor quality of life things as 1 point features.

On my gun users I usually take it and describe it as my character always making sure his guns are maximally loaded at every chance he gets during downtime. So my GM can't surprise me by saying, "But you forgot to reload from the last combat"
>>
>>50425799
in the same vein, had a supremely forgetful PC in a game. Master assassin, but he just fucking forgot things all the time. Empty mags, guns on the dashboard, which photo was for which contract. etc. etc. Fun times, if a bit "Inspector Cluseau"
>>
>>50425715
This actually makes sense because Serfs were not even free people, they were part of the land, slavery by another name. So yes if you are a serf you definitely have lower status.
>>
File: 1469296481770.jpg (59KB, 564x821px) Image search: [Google]
1469296481770.jpg
59KB, 564x821px
>>50425612
Nice, very cool. It's great to look back at how things went down.

In any case, This Week On Grimwyld..

>Promo shots: A door exploding inward under cannon-fire, a hideous abomination threatening people from within a great sphere of magic. Everyone falling as a fortress drops out of the sky, Syviis half naked.*

The Party: Gray the huge beastman, group swordsman, heavy item transport. Bomrek, Dwarf alcohol and gunman, Syviis, elven ranger and lightning witch, Suðri, young and idealistic dwarf that believes in BIG GLAVES and Roderick, human swordsman, fire wizard and has awesome facial hair.

The group spit up some equipment from stores and collected their things, trying to keep Falkirk the coma wizard and ex-PC from getting more dead before he can be possessed by some hideous monster and nearly kill us all**

We teleport up to the flying fortress for the first time. Technically we've been able to do this for a while but we didn't before because we were exploring the rest of the place.

A huge room of polished black stone with words on the wall and windows looking out on an awesome view. The other side of the room? A giant sphere of horror with too many eyes and a ALL CAPS voice that demanded we free it. Deciding that it was a trick and we shouldn't shoot at the thing that seemed to be imprisoned, Gray played with the controls on a platform, three floating spheres of crystal.

This made the whole place tilt and a huge grinding sound. Turns out the giant anchors were still stuck in the mountain. Syviis was less then impressed by leaving the parking break on, but Roderick's fae-possessed sword whispered to him that it could teach him how to fly this thing.

Comment too long..

*Note: Syviis isn't acutely half naked in this episode, they just throw that in the trailers.
** I have no reason to think this would happen, but for some reason I'm expecting it any time.
>>
File: 1475342661914.jpg (211KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1475342661914.jpg
211KB, 700x700px
>>50426784
We took a last trip down into the dungeon to find that apparently dragging the anchors had done a small amount of damage.

>Shit's on fire, yo.

Down past the door marked with the symbol of "a terrible creature of fury and pain" we found a place as hot as an oven, a lake of lava.. and another hideous abomination, though this one lava monster and had less style then the one in the fortress.

It tried to talk us into coming over and dying, but instead we just NOPED out of there, following our proud tradition of trying to spot fights where the GM is clearly forshadowing that they are bonus bosses we don't need to fight and avoiding them.

Back to the fortress, Roderick touched the controls.. and revealed that the item of our quest isn't some small thing, it's the whole flying fortress.. and that the whole thing moves under control, luckly he figured out enough of them to save us before the whole thing slammed into the ground, with only a short fall.

Gray, being unimaginative and piratical, said they should drive some anchors into the floor and lash stuff down.

>Overall..

Great session. I love this game.
>>
>>50426784
>>50426966
Never GURPS before, but i'm lurking and liking what i'm reading.
>>
File: 1478296351854.jpg (129KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478296351854.jpg
129KB, 768x768px
Stargate 1888

> Cast of Characters; Ashton Carter, arrogant cycoptian sniper. Colonel Pomsby, team commander, accompanied by his stalwart African manservant. Cosette St.Michelle, nurse practitioner. James Reynard, whom is also there. Kris Drayer, linguist and idealist. Tobias Fletcher, solider and man of god, and Jamie McTavish, Scotsman, with the skills and abilities expected of such.
>>
File: f044c27ec0ea683352932eb6dde3eab3.jpg (525KB, 1600x830px) Image search: [Google]
f044c27ec0ea683352932eb6dde3eab3.jpg
525KB, 1600x830px
>>50428336

Chapter 2
>The field commander arrives, the Gate is opened, and we behold a new world. Much to the displeasure of the natives.

The team spends a week together, training with new weapons and learning about each other. Cosette subjects everyone to a medical interview, and being introduces to Colonel Pomsby, Her Majesty's Army, Retired. He proves to be a reasonable older man, avid adventurer and hunter. They at last went though the Gate to a new world for the first time.

On the other side we find out that only a few people are trusted with the code to open the Gate and return to New London, but everyone takes it well as the group is pretty much all playing professionals with cooperative attitudes (a fun novelty).

After studying what seem to be the gate controls and a statue of a sad looking human man in the jungle with a purple sky the group follows a trail, coming to a river where a man was hacking at a giant sluglike creature. Covered by the rest Pomsby took Kris forward to attempt to communicate. The savage man yelled and lifted his knife, enough to provoke Ashton to action. The sniper on overwatch put a blast from a electric rifle into the man's face, dealing terrible damage.

They checked out the body, discovering the man was impossible to save without immediate treatment at a first rate medical facility and even then would be unlikely to live. Given that Cosette gave the man a bunch of morphine and last rites.

Poor Tobias was given the task of examining the giant slug while Kris checked out the savages knife, Tobias finding a body inside the slug that was human and seemed undamaged other then the fact it had no skin. With that cheerful image they chose to move on, leaving the bodies behind and following the path as they went in the direction of a large pyramid in the distance.

As they went, Kris was working on trying to understand the symbols carved into the knife the savage had carried.
>>
File: MartiniPulseRifle.jpg (34KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
MartiniPulseRifle.jpg
34KB, 960x576px
>>50428383
>>50428336
Give us some credit, the mark XI isnt repainted nerf(tm)

>>50426784
>*Note: Syviis isn't acutely half naked in this episode, they just throw that in the trailers.
HAH
>>
>>50428383
>The sniper on overwatch put a blast from a electric rifle into the man's face, dealing terrible damage.
That wasn't a mark 11, that was a Martini-Enfield Mk1
>>
File: Baker_rifle.png (59KB, 750x171px) Image search: [Google]
Baker_rifle.png
59KB, 750x171px
>>50416946

Newbies overlook;

Luck. This is VERY FUCKING USEFUL, even if all you ever do is force a re-roll when a hostile critically hits you. It's also pretty cheap when Defensively Aspected.

Combat Reflexes. Cheaper then any other way to get +1 to all defenses and means if your GM uses the Surprise/Stun rules you never need to worry about them.

Rapid Healing. This is only really useful if you are in a game without high tech or magical healing this gives you +5 to HT rolls to heal, but also to avoid a limb getting crippled for good after a major wound.
>>
>>50430927
Only started reading GURPS stuff yesterday and still haven't played it, but is seems like Luck is brokenly overpowered, even at it's cheapest. Wouldn't it make a character more or less immune to critical hits (are characters really critically hit more than once per hour)?
>>
>>50420753
High-Tech. I enjoy especially reading about the various gun types, along with the armor. Never realized I was missing out so much in modern armor.

>>50416946
Metabolism Control+Hard to Kill. The ultimate, "You thought I was dead" combo. You dump one point in metabolism, two in hard to kill. People will assume you're dead, when really you just get back up later on and waltz off.

Also absolute timing+lightning calculator. Perfect for any time traveler, but I rarely see people grab it. (Too busy grabbing "Muh Temporal Inertia") The reason why these two fit together so well is you can always calculate WHEN you are. Throw in Edict Memory (Or whatever the E one is) and History. Boom, you know when things happen, where, and how. If you're witnessing them, History isn't really needed.

My favorite hidden gem has to be Judo. It's not an advantage, but it's utility is ungodly. Out of all the skills out there, Judo is probably the only one I think is a do or die for melee combat. It makes all melee encounters so much easier with it's counter-attack set up. Makes disarming enemies easier, too. Saves you from grapple hogs, and allows for parrying. Since it makes you a grapple king anyway, you don't have to worry about damage, really. Just all out defense, then judo throw and finish them off.
>>
>>50431291
It's hardly broken. Once per hour doesn't reset for combat. You could use Luck outside of combat and suddenly find yourself in combat, with no re-roll.

Furthermore, that is a major reason for Luck, to prevent getting hit by critical successes. All that needs to happen is a second critical success, or a critical failure. It buffers characters against death by bad luck. Tactical Shooting says Luck is practically a mandatory advantage for real-life shootists, because people that survive gun fights are lucky.
>>
>>50431443

This exact thing has happened every time my players have gotten killed
>shit, this seemed like an important roll, better reroll it
>Oh I'm in combat
>oh shit
>shit
>whelp
>>
>>50431516
Fuucck, reminds me of a terrible death

>Use Luck to reroll a failed climb check
>Get critted and fucked up
>Bleed to death
>Get reminded that a failed climb check doesn't make you fall.
>>
Alright, Luck seems more legit than I thought.

On readying a weapon: if the PCs start combat with their weapon in hand, do they count as readied? I'm thinking of a situation where they are in a precarious situation, playing it cautious, and keeping their weapons in their hands because they anticipate danger. Do they still have to spend a turn readying their weapon when combat breaks out, despite walking around with it in their hands?
>>
>>50432225
I wouldn't believe so, especially in a dungeon-crawling situation.
>>
>>50432225
Nope. The rule is that once you ready a weapon (an action you can take any time, including out of combat) it says readied until you stop holding onto it or perform an action that would unready it.

So you can walk around with a gun ready, unless you need to put it down in order to carry people with two hands, operate a computer or to make an espresso drink.

Note that, as you likely realized, a weapon at the ready does make civilians nervous.
>>
>>50432315
You can keep a pistol ready under a newspaper or in a big enough pocket. In a pinch you can also just hide it behind your back.
>>
I like psionic powers
>>
>>50435103
So do I. I also like psionic biotech creature weapons
>>
>>50418779

Banestorm is a very boring setting with lots of wasted potential. Catgirls would go a long way to livening it up along with elves that are not boring as shit
>>
>>50425663
What is discord? I keep seeing that name around but what the fuck is it? Some kind of chat thing?
>>
>>50437690
A botnet.
>>
>>50437690
Just a chat application and site. Nothing fancy.
>>
>>50437690

It's a chatroom/audiochat thing that's superceded Skype and Teamspeak/Ventrilo
>>
>>50422974
>I think Martial Arts is unnecessary. Not bad, but it expands on a bunch of stuff that the Basic Set already did well. Unless you are playing a game where the very gritty close combat details will add a lot you don't need to use it.

Mostly true, but it was such a perfect, thorough treatment of martial arts that it's one of my favorites. There's basically little or nothing it did wrong. And the styles mechanics have proven to be very flexible for all kinds of games and situations.
>>
>>50438565
Is it better than the alternatives?
>inb4 le botnet
>>
>>50416946
>What is your favorite hidden gem?

Favorite covers a lot of ground, but ONE of my favorites is Signature Gear. GMs going after your best equipment is a very old problem in gaming-- as annoying or more than losing a character even though the GM thinks it's not so bad.

Social Advantages like Ally, when taken with a power modifier, suddenly turn into awesome psi/magic/fate abilities. Power-ups: Impulse Buys is a hidden gem of a supplement that turns many meh traits into sources of awesome.
>>
>>50436803

What the game really needs is a good fiction series like Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms got. There's a lot to like but you're right that it feels static and boxed up.
>>
>>50438604

>"Is it better than the alternatives?"
>Skype is now an advert platform
>Ventrilo still exists?

Pretty much, yes.
>>
File: 1453400025331.jpg (118KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1453400025331.jpg
118KB, 640x960px
>>50438663
I'm fan of the perk level signature gear that acts only as insurance to let you keep items under normal circumstances. The power-up books in general are pretty good.

>>50438597
The rules for biting really change how things go in fights with predators and the basic set doesn't really cover that. I also like that it's not a book of fight'en magick.
>>
>>50438663
I like Signature Gear because it's just a nice way to keep your character thematic. Items go a long way towards cementing a character.
I don't have a GM that I think would go out of his way to take stuff from my character, but it feels nice knowing that I'm reasonably sure that I always have what I need. It's especially true if you're a character that requires item(s) to fulfil your concept.
Especially for the character I'm playing right now, which is a cavalryman with a ton of horse-related skills. My horse is Signature Gear, because it's appropriate, and gives me as a player some security that my skill have a chance to be relevant.
>>
File: gurps seals.jpg (69KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
gurps seals.jpg
69KB, 500x647px
So I'm looking to make a character based off a Seals/ Black Ops sort of character, but I was wondering what could add to this flavor wise to allow my character to be competent against more fantasy-based characters, like magic. Are there any magic jammers and such? Special weaponry?
>>
So our test game running Mordag's Finger was a success and my players are up for more gurps. Running new campaign with new characters because first ones were broken as fuck. (Mordag went down like a bitch to a terminator with a sword.)

New game is going to be like sliders so we can mess around with a little bit of everything. Any tips for how to make the most of it as the GM?
>>
Which GURPS books should I go for to build unique Eldricht Abominations? The goal is to create something describable, which nevertheless hurts to think about. No hiding behind "You will never knooow!"
>>
File: 1453399925923.jpg (320KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1453399925923.jpg
320KB, 640x960px
>>50440415

A bunch of axe-armed fanatics in a dark building can be a very fun challenge for a group with TL 8 weapons. If they make a mistake they can still get in a lot of danger, but have overwhelming firepower.

>>50440327
Depends on setting. The Magic Resistance trait greatly reduces the chance that you will be effected by spells and curses cast directly on you. Dodge protects you from spells that throw blast at you.
>>
For some unknown reason I've got the autistic urge to compile all the various firearm statistics across GURPS books into one big compendium PDF, is there any way I can find a comprehensive list of books which have addtional firearms in them?

So far I've got High-Tech, High-Tech Adventure Guns, High Tech-Pulp Guns (volumes 1 and 2), SEALs in Vietnam, and Tactical Shooting, just from looking at what I've got in my GURPS folder so far - are there any others that stand out?
>>
>>50441081
Recommend me a set of artillery to put on a character who is going to be self reliant. Basically, give me some guns that would come in enough variety while not bogging my character's weight down. Like a standard equipment list for a marine going on a lone mission.
>>
>>50441112
>FN FAL Para
>FN-Browning High Power

Could you even possibly need anything else?
>>
>>50441338
whats the book sources so I can get the specs
>>
>>50440655
Basic set, really. Any special build they have is made up of advantages found there.

Unless you want Illusion or Leech, those are in powers. And the Awe table
>>
>>50441381
High-Tech. FAL base stats on 120, Para-specific stat changes on 115. High Power on 101.
>>
>>50441392
Thank you, but it's not what I meant. Rather than building them mechanically, I wanted something to base their themes upon. Like Shub-Niggurath representing twisted fertility, or Azathoth representing idiotic power. I also hoped to give them more personality than Lovecraft did. I think Blindsight aliens are the best example. Intelligence without consciousness. I wouldn't have thought of something like that myself, but now I could build them mechanically.
>>
>>50441772
>Rather than building them mechanically, I wanted something to base their themes upon.
Ohhhh shit nig, just get back up to date with some existential horror then.
HP's shit is off the hook.
>>
>>50440655

Horror would be the best route, then I'd probably raid creature lists and other sources.
>>
>>50441900
>Ohhhh shit nig, just get back up to date with some existential horror then.
I can't possibly argue with that. :)
>HP's shit is off the hook.
I need the abbreviation explained.
>>50441904
Thank you.
>>
Just got the tentative cast list for my upcoming Samurai Western game. Looks like things are going to be... interesting.

>Richard Wang
A sharpshooter of the Viper Clan. Currently traveling under a pseudonym while hunting down any information he can on his brother's killer. A crack shot with his rifle, but he's cocky and too-sure of his mighty boomstick.
>"Black" Jack Kitsuki
An advisor and spirit-talker of the Jackalope Clan. Like most of his family, his native blood is apparent on his face and skin. Unlike most, though, he's also 6'2" and prone to nightmarish visions of dire times ahead. Whether this is a blessing or a curse is debatable.
>Unnamed Pistolero
A gunslinger of the Hawk Clan. Little information known (dude was hella sick during Session 0; one of the other players is his roommate and somewhat experienced with GURPS, so I left it to him).
>Unnamed Samurai
A ??? of the Viper Clan. Even less information known (had to miss session 0 as well and lacked previous player's support system, so I may have to make it for them with their input; all I've got now is "assassin," so the clan is at least obvious, but there are many approaches to assassination. Knowing the player, though, I'm expecting ninja-light).

Session 0.5 is this Thursday, so I hope to have a report up by Friday.
>>
>>50442096
>I need the abbreviation explained.
H.P.Lovecraft, father of the Genre
>>
Did everyone see the announcement that they are printing some GURPS books through createspace? Just Magic, Thaumatology and Ultratech so far, but probably more in the near future if they sell OK.

Does anyone have any experience with createspace? Their website doesn't seem terribly well-designed. I can't even figure out if I can buy from them, since I'm in the UK.
>>
>>50441338
Yeah, you could need something useful.
>>
>>50436803
I think that banestorm has some good ideas, but it could use more then one fantasy setting...
>>
Meanwhile Warehouse23 has 40% discount on almost everything until December 15
>>
>>50430927
I'm not sure if Combat Reflexes is really that underrated. Most people know to take it if they're making any kind of combat style character.
>>
>>50444154
Yeah, not a hidden gem. Reputation is a better example of that
>>
File: 7bzSu32.jpg (70KB, 419x700px) Image search: [Google]
7bzSu32.jpg
70KB, 419x700px
>>50442373
TL 5? Sounds like a interesting idea, if one where it's going to be hard to use blades in the face of guns.

Let us know how it goes, epescally if they all manage to get shot in the face in the first encounter.
>>
>>50442400
*slap*
Doh!
>>
>>50420753

Infinite Worlds. World generator, crazy alternate realities, "Stargate+Mad Nazis from the planet were Hitler won"-spy plots.
>>
>>50420753

I had plenty of fun going through that "Robot Post-Apocalypse" book, but I can't for the life of me remember what the actual title was. It was basically detailing all possible variations of a Skynet uprising and its aftermath.
>>
>>50447301
Reign of Steel?

>>50420753
Atomic Horror. I love me a good bit of MST3K-grade cheese.
>>
>>50442436
No shit! I was looking for a print copy of Ultratech just last night.
I'm ordering it from Amazon (way faster+
cheaper shipping), but its the exact same 3.3 edition published today.
>>
File: 1435221843064.jpg (1MB, 1280x893px) Image search: [Google]
1435221843064.jpg
1MB, 1280x893px
>>50443802
I pulled the trigger and did it in reverse. Essentially, imagine an Infinite Worlds Banestorm setting, where the world is essentially the result of one infinite mega banestorm that tore bits and pieces and people from every alternate possible.
>>
File: 1454924269520.jpg (257KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1454924269520.jpg
257KB, 1440x900px
>>50416946
I've been playing 5e for a while, and I'm sick of it. I'd like to switch over to GURPS, so as a proof of concept I'm transferring my player's characters over. Would you guys mind helping me convert? Here's what I need to convert, in order from least to most difficulty

>Ability Scores
This is what I'm working on atm. I started off with (STR+CON)/2=ST, DEX=DX, INT=IQ, and CON=HT, but that ended up giving WAY too high of scores. The direction I'm heading now is based more off the modifers now. Not too worried about this part, but if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it.

>Human Valor Bard
I don't think this one will be hard at all. Just need to read up on how bardic magic works in Dungeon Fantasy. Give him a few extra martial skills and he'll be set.

>Elven Gunslinger
I'm thinking he should probably have a mtachlock pistol and musket from the basic set, not sure if there are any better guns from other books.

>"Human" Assassin/Warlock
This one is quite easy actually, since most of the rogue's special abilities in D&D are just things that anyone can do in GURPS. He does have a couple unique traits. At one point he bathed in climbing and health potions, so he now is half monkey, half man, has a *slight* healing factor, but can't drink potions at all. He also recently became a warlock. I presume that this would just be a simple pact?

This is where it starts to get tricky.
>Dwarven Circle of the Land Druid
The spellecasting is whatever, but I know for a fact that he'll want to keep his shapeshifting ability. Would he need to buy each individual creature separately? Or would it just be whichever one is the most expensive (probably his allosaurus form)? I assume that the best way to advance this ability (which is his favorite part) would be for him to just buy new templates?

>Dwarven Way of the 4 Elements Monk
This one I don't even have a clue where to start. How do you build the fucking Avatar in GURPS?
>>
>>50447941
>Attributes
Choose what makes sense. Unlike dnd, in DF it's rare to have any attribute over 15 (except for ST).
>guns
Low-Tech has more, but I guess Musket from basic set is the best you can hope for at this TL. Breach-loading carbine has better reloading, but far lesser damage.
Also check out Pyramid #3/36 for Musketeer template.
>*slight* healing factor,
Rapid Healing or low-level of Regeneration.
>but can't drink potions at all
I don't think it worth more then a quirk, considering there many other ways to get positive effects. Maybe -5 at most like if it was minor Vow.
>He also recently became a warlock. I presume that this would just be a simple pact?
It's pact with disadvantages like Fanaticism or Disciplines of Faith. Alternatively you can use Corrupting limitation from GURPS Horror. There are also "black magic" in GURPS Magic, but I never read it.
>>
>>50448282
>Maybe -5 at most like if it was minor Vow.
Different guy but is it still considered a Vow if it's something biological like, "This person's body completely rejects the chemicals in healing potions"?
>>
>>50447941

The most easy time is picking GURPS:Dungeon fantasy and just giving players the appropriate templates with slight adjustments for tone if they feel inappropriate.

Slightly harder is to google around until you find dnd to GURPS conversions. I'm pretty sure there's a few of these projects lying around.
>>
>>50447941
>>Dwarven Way of the 4 Elements Monk
>This one I don't even have a clue where to start. How do you build the fucking Avatar in GURPS?

Innate attacks probably. If his powerset is very flexible, try checking out GURPS:Sorcery and replace the "magic" parts with "ki".
>>
>>50447941
>shapeshifting
There is advantage with the same name. Alternate Form variant would be cheapest if you only have few forms. You pay for the most expensive form (15 + difference between new racial templates, if new form costs more), and the rest are 15 points per form. Allosaurus might be really expensive if he chooses to keep his IQ in animal form.
>This one I don't even have a clue where to start. How do you build the fucking Avatar in GURPS?
Powers has very generic Create and Control advantages. Innate Attack for more straightforward damage effects. Modular Abilities if you want to be able to do EVERYTHING but only one thing at the moment - it's going to be expensive, though.
Or use Sorsery as this >>50448316 anon suggested, it's basically Modular Abilities for minor improvised stuff plus full advantages (bough as alternate abilities) for few signature moves.
>>50448300
Allergy is a quirk. Restricted Died covers much wider specter of problems than just "can't drink potions". I just used Vow as guideline, because effects are pretty similar, and you won't receive negative social reaction like if you break vow.
>>
>>50448282
>>50448379
Thanks, this is really helpful.
>Modular Abilities if you want to be able to do EVERYTHING but only one thing at the moment - it's going to be expensive, though.
I'll probably go with this. And yeah, they're all going to be expensive I'm in the process of making the druid, and he's REALLY expensive. His shapeshifting alone is 230 points, and that's not even including templates. I never appreciated how much D&D is a medieval superheroes game until now.
>>
>>50416946
I really like Magic Resistance, but everyone that I've spoken to seems to think that it's worthless.

Three ranks in a swashbuckler type brings you to 16 for AoE mind control spells and all body control spells. You become almost immune to Grease and highly resistant to Glue. Stench too, you are almost immune to and I think that that's most of the fight-stoppers accounted for-- not bad for 6 points.

The Healing advantage can get around the drawbacks of the trait, and asking your mage to brute force your resistance prior to the dungeon with low Haste and/or Armour buffs gets around that as well -- not to mention that Bless doesn't offer a resistance roll anyway, and that's a pretty big game changer by itself.
>>
>>50448460
Ahh, and weapon buffs like Flaming Weapon and Affect Spirits are cast on the item and not you, thse aren't resisted either.
>>
File: 1480289745123.gif (999KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
1480289745123.gif
999KB, 500x268px
>mfw GCS has Engine Hearts advantages built in
It's like everything's come full circle
>>
File: 5M5uewh.jpg (106KB, 736x555px) Image search: [Google]
5M5uewh.jpg
106KB, 736x555px
>>50448379
Note that Restricted Diet sets what you can eat and derive energy from, but won't make anything new toxic and doesn't change what medicines/potions you can use.

Even if you can't digest anything but human blood you can still, unless there's some other trait at work, eat anything you can swallow, in moderation, as long as it's not toxic. (Much like how a human can eat cellulose without a problem.)

>>50448460
I like to pair Magic Resistance with some DR (Magic Only) to cover indirect magical effects.
>>
Are there any notable PDFs missing from the collection we could pick up in the sale?

I think we've got every 4th edition one, but there might be some good 3rd edition books that are worth paying for?
>>
>>50449069
I don't know about the general's PDF collection, but the 94.5 MB scan copy of Alternate Earths 2 I've got is missing p8. There's probably a bunch of other stuff we've got in scan but not OEF.

My current list of missing shit is
Vehicle Builder
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Planet Krishna
Time Travel Adventures
Best of Pyramid 1
Autoduel: Car Warriors
Fantasy GM's Pack
Supporting Cast
Villains
Horror GM's Screen
Traveller: Droyne Coyn Set
Traveller: Deck Plans 1-6
Deadlands: Varmints
Deadlands: Dime Novel 1 and 2

Though the only one of those available from W23 is the Vehicle Builder.

I don't think we have PDFs of Pyramid Classic (Volume 1) (1-30) or Roleplayer (1-30).
>>
>>50449069
The Mecha PDF that I have is practically unreadable in a lot of places, and kind of hurts to look at imo
>>
>>50449145
There's also those Japanese supplements, but you'd have a better chance of finding a PDF of Callahan's than any of those.
>>
>>50449173
Same with Man to Man.

Though, here's the OEF of Mecha. Can't be bothered checking the MEGA for it.
http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/cfS3lIZv/file.html
>>
>>50449196
>http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/cfS3lIZv/file.html
Just to doublecheck, which of the buttons there should I click?
>>
>>50449241
The orange one that says Download Now, under the language selection thing. Do you have AdBlock? It tries to open another tab when you click it, but AdBlock stops it, and then you click it again. I can put it somewhere else.
>>
>>50449258
No, that's fine, I just wanted to check.
Thanks you! This is so much nicer than the copy that I currently have!
>>
>>50446581
Nah, I made the guns fairly anemic so there's actually a reason for people to pick up the sword. Also, melee weapons have access to more powerful abilities and powerups. I hope that'll be enough, but I'll be here retelling the tale either way.
>>
What do you think are the worst bits of official GURPS content every produced?
>>
>>50451603
Ultra-Tech. Too much of a setting book, not enough of a genre book.
>>
>>50451636
>Ultra-Tech.
3e or 4e?
>>
>>50451636

In my pipe dream of re-writing UT, I'd have an icon system like with the advantages, so you could marks items by sub-genre: cyberpunk, conservative hard sci-fi, radical hard sci-fi, space opera, biopunk, transhumanist sci-fi, etc.
>>
Alright gurpsgen, question for you.

I like techniques because I love having extra options in combat, but buying lots of techniques up is inefficient compared to raising overall skill; but I don't necessarily want to be the God of [Weapon]. In that vein, I'm putzing around with the idea of a Technique Master advantage in the same vein as Weapon Master or Trained by a Master. In my mind I'd like it to do two things: lower the default penalties for all techniques (I was thinking -3 like the default bonuses from weapon master, up to a minimum of either half the penalty or -1), and provide a blanket Technique Mastery, allowimg you to improve techniques as though you had the perk without buying it. The second point is obviously peanuts compared to the first, but how should this be priced? By skill, like weapon master? All together like TBaM? What do you think the price should be? I'm leaning towards a flat 30 like TBaM, with the opportunity to take limitations to bring it to just a specific skill or class if skills.

Thoughts, suggestions, insults?
>>
>>50452002
One suggestion I'd tie into it is instead of making techniques cheaper by a flat amount, for every +1 to $CombatSkill, it reduces the penalty of all techniques for that skill by 1. This makes investing points in a skill worthwhile.
I'm thinking a +100% enhancement to Weapon Master at minimum, or maybe an advantage that costs the same amount as weapon master that has weapon master as a prerequisite... similar in cost, but subtly different when limitations are involved.
>>
>>50452002
You could try including techniques into WIldcard skills-- alongside their parent combat skills that is.I don't know if that's legal and thinking about how it would work hurts my brain but maybe you can figure it out.

Maybe work it in with the martial styles in Martial Arts? Longsword! Animal Kung Fu! Foot Archery!, that stuff.
>>
File: gay wolf.gif (495KB, 280x172px) Image search: [Google]
gay wolf.gif
495KB, 280x172px
Are pyramid magazines worth reading? I'm considering printing them out and read one each day. Do they deal with more stuff than GURPS as a system?
>>
>>50448417
Just went through this with one of my players who wanted to be a druid. Just give him the druid template from dungeon fantasy and tell him to pick up a bunch of shape shifting spells. It's the most cost effective way to be a 'traditional' druid in gurps.
>>
>>50452169
I like that idea, I'll toss it at my GM. Pricing it as weapon master probably makes the most sense too, think I'll try to kerp it as a seperate entity though as opposed to an enhancement. I like the idea of an alternative to TBaM/WM that focuses on tactical strikes instead of drowning in rapid strikes and raw damage. Thanks for the feedback.

>>50452349
My GM isn't using wildcard skills, but he's very open to new stuff within the framework he's already using, which is why I opted for an advantage.
>>
>>50452423
Like a lot of other GURPS books('Tech books in particular come to mind) they have plenty of info which is applicable beyond GURPS.

Still, why would you print them out, do you hate trees?
>>
>>50452959
Awesome, thanks!
I like scrawling over the stuff that I read. Also, it's summer over here, I'm lifting pretty hard now and I'm pale as a fucking ghost, so I could use a tan and some material to read.
Other than paper, what do you recommend
>>
>>50451784

Yeah - I'd also like "tech prerequisites". That way you could make a speculative-tech-tree (UT would have a master tree at the back) and easily prune out technology you don't like.

And for each Weapon/Defence tech tier, give quick alternate values for damage so it's easier to balance offence-vs-defence the way you want.
>>
>>50448660
Please explain anon
You can deal with it
>>
>>50453016
My Kindle Paperwhite is great even in the sunny outdoors. It does sort of suck dick with PDFs though, so maybe see if you can find a more recent model (though not necessarily a current-gen one, as those are expensive and basically iPads at this point).

>>50451784
I've always felt that putting a little more love into the opening chapter that lists the various sci-fi genres would go a *long* way to fixing a lot of people's issues with UT. I mean, there's already sections like "cyberpunk settings normally have computing and medical technology one TL higher than base, and a lot of ease-of-living technologies should be one to two TLs behind." It's not that hard to also add in stuff like "don't allow these weapons in this sort of game" or "double DR to make armor more in-line for this genre"
>>
>>50455998
I read GURPS books on my Kindle too, works nice. Both in portrait and landscape, though in landscape a bunch of books have this annoying thing where the page is cut in three, and the third part is just the bottom with the page number and no important text, while some books have their pages cut in two without problems.
>>
>>50453410
I think that'd work better as a supplement for UT than a replacement; the base will work as a catalog, and then we could have a book dedicated to making tech trees for settings (possibly even with random tables for GMs that don't know what sort of gonzo sci-fi they want to run).
>>
>>50416946

Two words: Rapid Healing. Your survivability shoots up immensely and so do your chances of retaining a limb that has been severely damaged. In a campaign where quality medical attention is in short supply plus high demand, this advantage is worth its weight in platinum.
>>
>>50451784
I really like this idea. UT's speculative fiction nature means different branches and possibility could really use the added information.

>>50453410
Rather then absolute tech levels put in tech branches, like Gravity Control, Teleportation, Fusion Power, ect.
>>
Why don't we actually do this tech tree/guidelines/partial rewrite or fix, instead of talking so much about it? Maybe it's time to collaborate and do something?
>>
Quick question, gentlemen. I'm wanting to take "Snatcher" with 1 minute of Immediate Preparation Required from psionic powers, which is functionally similar to preparation required only it can't be 'held' ready.

How does that interact with the 10 seconds required by the ability already? Would it be 1 minute and 10 seconds, or something else.
>>
>>50458542
It would be 1 minute to prepare and then 10 seconds to use, yes.
>>
>>50416958
>>50417714

My problem with advantages like Night Vision is that there's always a chance the GM won't bother with rules for visibility until things like smoke grenades or complete darkness are involved, in which case your advantage doesn't help much, and it seems like a waste to gamble points on the chance that you might get into a firefight at nighttime.
>>
>>50458818
Might be worth talking with the GM beforehand, that's true. Worst case scenario, the GM lies, but that's hardly the systems fault.
>>
>>50447833
That could see how that works.
>>
>>50447833
Another idea I just had is a lost type campaign. Weird island where debris from a the banestorm washes ashore. would not have to worry about tech level as there would be no way to maintain advanced techs as they break down.
>>
Chronic Pain (Severe; Mitigator, Mask)
>>
>>50460295
Affliction (Negated Advantage, Ally Group (Friends))
>>
>>50460367
Gigantism?
>>
File: smug.jpg (20KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
20KB, 250x250px
>>50458331
Concepts don't have weight, anon.
>>
A commonly negated advantage is common sense. Some people just don't know how useful it is to have the GM tell you if you're doing something stupid.

If we were talking about skills, then it would be any everyman skill that is commonly forgotten about. Survival and First Aid are the first two skills that I give every character, with Area Knowledge and Brawling too, among others.
>>
>>50460509
Common sense being worth it really depends on your GM.
>>
File: 1420073794365.jpg (52KB, 550x736px) Image search: [Google]
1420073794365.jpg
52KB, 550x736px
>>50460509
Brawling isn't that vital, given you can always punch at DX if it comes down to it. You should certainly have Brawl, Boxing, Judo or Karate if there is any chance you will get into close combat without a weapon.

>>50458818
You can always ask for the rules to be used if you can get in a dimly lit room or outdoors under moonlight. Mentioning you have Night Vision is a good way to encourage the GM to let you get the drop on people that don't.

>>50458331
+5 to HT for major wounds and to heal means that you pretty much never fail the rolls for it.
>>
>>50458488

Because as far as I can see, there's only three ways to do it:
a) releasing a pdf with copy-paste from UT and getting a cease & desist from SJG
b) writing a doc full of "see UT p. 184 with the following changes..." that's unwieldy as shit and doesn't really fix UT's shit
c) pitching it to SJG as a new supplement, and getting rejected because they don't want a redo of UT and you don't have the writing experience to pull such a massive project off
>>
>>50462814
I feel like the second option is doable, especially if we release our own weapon/armor tables.
>>
What adventure potential does the world of "Rustic" (see the Infinite Worlds book) have? To me, a setting with no electricity seems nightmarish.
>>
>>50463507
I can think of a few ideas..

>A weekend in hell
Transported to a place where electronics don't function and forced to survive a 200 mile cross country walk to a place you can escape.

You could change this up by giving them time to prepare and collect equipment that works without electricity. Compact steam powered equipment, gas lights, mechanical watches, ect.

If you are a huge asshole, force them to do this while hauling powered armor that doesn't function here on their backs.
>>
File: gurps fantasy 146.jpg (77KB, 944x749px) Image search: [Google]
gurps fantasy 146.jpg
77KB, 944x749px
>>
File: 1365727071022.png (68KB, 177x240px) Image search: [Google]
1365727071022.png
68KB, 177x240px
I expanded my Last Gasp Assistant so much it became another app!
https://legendsmith.github.io/technicolor-dream-GURPS/tcdgapp
By the weekend I plan to have wound & injury tracking in, but for now there's skills & weapons (plus rolling) all integrated with the Last Gasp's features so you don't have to look up your weapon's damage and then add it to your adjusted swing and thrust scores.

(The original last gasp app still exists if you were using it.)
>>
>>50462814
>a) releasing a pdf with copy-paste from UT and getting a cease & desist from SJG

We start every thread with a PDF linking to pirated SJG material. I think they either don't know about us or they realise that trying to shut us down is a waste of time. Obviously you can't post it elsewhere, but we can share it between ourselves.
>>
>>50465336

Noice.
>>
Was thinking about running GURPS, and I started wondering, what is it bad at?
>>
>>50467578
Very high level play (4-color supers, gods, etc.) can be a bit wonky. I've done it though, and not had any real problems aside from needing additional planning measures both prior to and during character generation.
>>
Sup my fellow GURPSfags. Question: do you play in a more narrative style, or is it hardcore Sim all the way? A mixture? Do you prefer to have certain games that play out like movies or fiction more than straight worldsim style?
>>
>>50467620
Yeah, supers are kinda wonky, and it only gets worse when you give out more points. And if you do 1000 pts supers, there's the issues of even just finding what to spend your damn points on.
And at lower points totals, you run into people trying to make Batman while the others make Superman and Cyclops, and one will invariably pout because of combat-related stuff.
>>
>>50467663
My current campagin is more narrative focoused as it is the first I'm a GM for. The only time when things get crunchy is with the comabt, which is utilizing the basuc set for crunch. Makes for a good contrast when combat starts and every thing gets deadly quick. So far my players like the old radio style detective stories I'm tossing them into.
>>
>>50467663
Depends on the campaign. I ran a dark fantasy game a while back that was full sim and was a lot of fun, but my upcoming game will be very narrativist in a rule-of-cool sort of way because there's no other way to justify katanas and six-shooters both being seen as viable weapons in-setting.

One of the best things about GURPS is not that it can handle multiple settings but that it can handle multiple campaign styles. A campaign that uses discrete skill lists and realistic attribute caps feels different than one heavy in WIldcard skills and that allows Buying Success with character/destiny/wildcard points.
>>
>>50467663
I don't use wildcards, but we play pretty loose. No bleeding rules, but raw guns and major wounds. I'd have to say pretty middle road, closer to sim.
>>
>>50467663
I tend to run games as by the book(s) as humanely possible. I definitely prefer games without things like wildcard points/impulse points (or very limited versions thereof), because being able to buy success removes a lot of tension unless you really ramp up the rolling. I enjoy using a lot of the optional realism rules, like A Matter of Inches (MA) and Damage to Armor (LTC2). That said, there's plenty of times when I enforce "roll and shout" with attribute rolls, because it's just easier/whatever's being rolled isn't all that important enough to warrant scrambling through pdfs.

I guess I run realistic games, but don't let myslef get bogged down in the realism.

I don't get to play.
>>
>>50470328
Do you even get to run stuff for actual people?
>>
File: 3TcuTuI.png (163KB, 650x1039px) Image search: [Google]
3TcuTuI.png
163KB, 650x1039px
How can I make a superhero scientist, with the power to transform his individual cells into other single celled organisms? As in, he can change individual cells into different bacteria? I assume this would need to be built out of a number of different advantages, but I have no idea where to start on this one.
Pic not super related.
>>
How well does GURPS handle significant power discrepancies between player characters? My players are cranking out PCs for a modern fantasy "paranormal detectives" style game and two of the players have quickly settled on the character concepts of a clairvoyant PI of relatively mundane physical attributes and his bodyguard with the "immortal" quality.

I dig the setup, but I'm concerned about how I could build encounters that would realistically pose a worthwhile threat to the guy who can't permanently die unless he goes bellow his hpx10 that won't outright eviscerate the seer in the process.
>>
>>50470953
Check out Powers: The Weird for some inspiration; their weird science styles are great for abstract abilities.

If you're just looking for the ability to do this, I'd say it's a combination of various Toxic Attacks with different Symptoms attached and the Cyclical, Resistible, and whatever enhancement lets targets potentially infect other targets, plus Costs 1 HP to represent the not-insignificant amount of blood and tissue you're transmuting into bacteria. If you could also give someone, say, a bunch of beneficial cells like blood cells and white cells (that wouldn't trigger the recipient's immune system), I'd also add various beneficial Afflictions to the mix like Resistant (Disease), +2 HT, etc.

Remember to buy only the most expensive ability at full price. Everything else should be bought as an alternative ability at x1/5 price.
>>
>>50471168
Death is not the only way for a person to fail.
>>
>>50471168
Pure toughness is not that bad. Direct most attacks at the immortal one and let them suffer without dying to show off where they put the points. The detective will shine in investing scenes
>>
>>50471168
Anon is right here >>50471194. Still, if the bodyguard has enough points to buy that level of unkillable, I'm sure the PI also had quite a lot of freedom and therefore also enjoys quite a bit of plot power. Unless you're running that kind of game and your players also agreed to it, I'd advise against trying to 'counter' them (as a GM... the opposition definitely should), encourage them to play to their strengths instead. Introduce tension with the consequences of failure at their task, not necessiraly with death.
>>
>>50462831

Okay well here's where I have to semi-namefag; I'm the original genre-icons guy and also the guy behind the Hard Maths blog and I've been working on several things that are intended as "fixes" for UT; armour, EM guns, less vague rules for firearms and warheads, etc. At one point I genuinely considered Option C before realising I don't exactly have the time for it. Not to mention the fact you'd need a good few high-quality Pyramid articles under your belt before they'll consider letting you write a real book.

>>50466170

>Obviously you can't post it elsewhere, but we can share it between ourselves.

That's the point, I wouldn't want it to be confined to one community.,
>>
Dumb question.

When you see a robot/clone cost, is that production cost, or retail cost that you would pay for in a store?
>>
>>50472689
Generally retail cost, which is the cost that matters most to PCs.
>>
>>50471172
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for.

Any advice in general on building high cost characters? I'm going to be running a supers campaign for a couple of normie friends of mine. I just told them to tell me what type of character they wanted, and I'd build it (which is what >>50470953 was about). My other player wants to be basically be a combination of Scarlet Witch and Black widow.
How do I make them sufficiently "super" while still keeping the character sheets manageable?
>>
>>50472935
Wildcard skills help keep the skills list sane while also assuring the wide breadth of competency we also see in supers (i.e. like your earlier picture; a realistic cell biologist has a specialization of Biology, but a super-biologist has a background that justifies Science!).

Attributes can also eat up some points. DX or IQ 15 eats up 100 points, which if you're a sane GM is a significant portion of the budget.

One Big Power (or Power Array). I feel that it's a lot easier to handle one large complicated ability than a ton of tiny abilities.
>>
>>50470815
Barely at all. But I blame life, rather than a lack of willing/interested players.
>>
desu I think that David Pulver is aware of his meme status and just keeps memeing because he's amused with this
>>
>>50475250
I just hope he never stops.
>>
>>50475250
What is his memes?

other then catgirls
>>
>>50438597
What are the "style mechanics", for someone who has never used MA? I thought it was basically just a skill-level template.
>>
>>50476423
Every style has a list of skills, techniques, cinematic skills and techniques, and perks that are related to it. At the most basic level, it's basically a suggestion for building certain types of characters (e.g. if you want to play as a shaolin monk, look at the Shaolin Kung-Fu martial arts style and its associated skills/techniques/cinematic options/perks).

Investing a point into each of the style's main skills and buy the style's familiarity perk to officially "know" the style. Knowing a style has two big advantages beyond basic templating:
-In games that require downtime, training, or whatever to justify the spending of points, you're freed from that restriction; if you've got free character points lying around, you can put them in to any of the style's skills, techniques, cinematic skills, or perks at any time, even in the middle of combat. Basically, you know the style well enough that you don't need someone to specifically teach you how to do it better, nor do you need hours of practice for that "a-ha" moment.
-In games that cap perks at the recommended level (1 perk per 20 points spent in relevant skills/techniques), stylists can buy and extra style perk per 10 points in the style's skills and techniques. For example, a practitioner of the Capoeira style of fighting has 8 points in Karate, 8 points in Wrestling, and 4 points in Acrobatics. He can buy one general combat perk AND any two perks listed as part of the style. Additionally, some styles with essential perks (such as Off-Hand Weapon Training for a style focused on duel-wielding) allow you to get them as soon as you pick up the style familiarity perk.

Lastly, the GM is free to say that some styles are the ONLY way to learn things like cinematic skills; this is more common for perks of magical styles, but it's justifiable to say that only masters of the Soaring Dragon school can perform a Flying Leap. The Weird Science styles from Powers: The Weird give new uses for skills too.
>>
>>50476781

Yeah, having the basic parts of a Style unlocks, in games that allow it, the cinematic traits and skills.
>>
If a car crashes at high speeds, what are the GURPS rules to determine where tot not a driver without a seatbelt is propelled through the windshield
>>
>>50476781
Do the Styles say anything about preferred maneuvers? Should they? Or are they "implied" by perks?
>>
>>50477510
Yeah, but that's just fluff; while the book recommends, for example, using mostly Committed Attacks if fighting with the Muay Thau style, anyone can throw out a knee-jab to the groin as a Committed Attack. You are right that certain techniques and perks do make some maneuvers more attractive to stylists; styles like Sword-and-Shield Fighting that list only (or mostly) Counterattack and Feint amongst their style's techniques will likely produce defensive fighters that favor waiting for an opening before going in for the kill, for example.

>>50477424
By default, anyone not strapped in suffers "knockback" if riding in an open vehicle. For standard closed in vehicles, though... I'd say it's a matter of chance. Look up car crash statistics and base it off of a roll of 1d (e.g. if it looks like 35% of riders in a collision that weren't wearing seatbelts are sent through the windshield, that's close enough to a 2-in-6 chance that I'd just use that).
>>
>>50477716
Well, the reason I was asking is most of the players are not well-versed in swordfighting or ringen or whatever. So suggested maneuvers would help a lot with the choice paralysis, what with all the MA options and stuff.

I am just considering introducing myself and my group to MA. We focus on medieval low-fantasy high-verisimilitude type of games, but intricacies of fighting tactics are not our forte. Although I am reading through the "Melee Academy" blog posts.
>>
>>50477789
>We focus on medieval low-fantasy high-verisimilitude type of games
WITHOUT Martial Arts?

Yes, styles do have a paragraph or so about common tactics and maneuvers. They're not really enforced but most of the time they really are the optimal way to handle the styles skills, weapons, and techniques, sometimes it's simply optional.

If you're gonna go all-out on a MA-heavy game, a clever munchkin might realise dropping your points in extra skill levels is more cost-effective than in the associated techniques. Yes, you'll see fight break out with Arm Lock at 15 or so, but it might come coupled with Judo at 18, and that's just crazy and beyond any sort of realism (not a problem for people who don't care about that). You might consider enforcing a skill cap on skill levels to make techniques more attractive once the cap is reached.
>>
>>50422974
is that a boy? god
>>
So I'm working on some example characters for a game I plan on running soon. Survival is going to be a part of the game, and if I have a mutant type character who I want to have to eat more after using a special ability they have, how would I go about this?
>>
>>50478913
Costs FP that can only be regained by eating.
Temporary Disadvantage (Increased Consumption).
Gluttony (Only after using power, -X%).
There's a lot of ways you can do it. What is the effect you want from it?
>>
>>50478788
No, (sorry?*) one of our resident perverts likes to post her.

>>50479347
Not that guy, but I think the 2nd or 1st option is best, while Gluttony is harder because it is a mental rather then physical disadvantage.

You could also do Increased Consumption (Only when Regenerating) for -60% or so, though I'd only allow that with slow and regular levels of regeneration (2 per day / 1 per hour).

*Unless you weren't hoping it was a boy?
>>
>>50479347
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Maximum Ride novels by James Patterson, but I was hoping to do something like that. After those with wings fly, it requires a lot of calories to make up for those burnt flying.
And I apologise if anything I say fails to make sense, I'm exhausted but I still have a few hours at work.
>>
>>50479458
Actually, instead I'll just make it so Flight costs fatigue. I feel like that's a lot simpler than my other approach.
>>
>>50471168

He doesn't have to die as long as you can knock him out.

Disable his legs, disarm him, shoot tranquilizers into him, etc.
>>
>>50479682
Sure, in fact you always require more food if you use a lot of energy. There aren't rules for it, as far as I know, but there's no reason to say that running a marathon in GURPS doesn't require some serious carb loading.
>>
File: kaito_by_silvestris-d4hxa2w.jpg (102KB, 619x850px) Image search: [Google]
kaito_by_silvestris-d4hxa2w.jpg
102KB, 619x850px
I'm finishing the clan writeups for my upcoming samurai western game, and I've been treating the clans as DF Guilds to give the players a reason to care about them. However, I'm worried about the balance between the various clans. Any Anons have experience with writing or using guilds in a DF game?
>>
>>50482513
Balance doesn't matter. Plot does. Imbalance implies inherent conflict. It will help.
>>
>>50482574
I mostly just don't want people to feel that they've wasted their points buying up Rank in their clan because another clan can get so much more done.

Also, for now the game is mostly a heavily reskinned DF, so plot and drama is secondary to mechanical balance. Things are going to get more serious as the campaign progresses (they always do) and drama will come to the forefront, but right now I just want to make sure that a player spending five points on extra levels of Rank is going to get a fair return on their investment.
>>
>>50482574
You can have an imbalance of power in lore, without having an imbalance of power provided to the players.

The former can drive plot, the latter is likely to force at least some of the players to choose between what's cool/characterful and what's good, which is something you should always strive to avoid.
>>
GURPSday is out
https://gamingballistic.com/2016/12/01/gurps-day-summary-nov-25-dec-1-2016/
>Oh look! I forgot to tag all my posts #GURPS
>>
>>50479458
Well, whats her name? google still gives me nothing. looks enough like a boy for me
>>
>>50482656
Social Engineering: Pulling Rank has rules for starting up Ranks with organizations at different costs depending on their abilities, support, demeanor and level of appearance and things like that. If you used it, the "less beneficial" clans would therefore cost less per level in accordance with their features.
>>
>>50484460
True, though lore-wise, the five main clans are all in a stalemate, so it wouldn't make much sense if there was a mechanic power-gap between them. If any of my players were interested in playing minor clan samurai, then yeah, I'd just drop the cost.

I think my issue is that I want the clans to be mechanically distinct, but I'm not familiar enough with Guilds to ensure that *these* types of assistance are distinct from but not more/less powerful than *these* types of assistance. At the end of the day, though, I don't think my players will really care, so I should just shut up and deal with it.
>>
File: 16097308147122870559.png (2MB, 937x1250px) Image search: [Google]
16097308147122870559.png
2MB, 937x1250px
>>50482922
Kassandra Leigh Purcell.

>>50482745
Thanks, I try to follow those but always seem to forget to check it.

>>50482513

Less powerful organizations are interesting places to put fun abilities. The CDC might not be able to give you an armed response team or automatic weapons like the FBI can, but you can quarantine an entire town.
>>
GURPSnewb here.
Am I missing something, or is DR way too strong?

I'm setting up a TL8 game and excluding hit locations to keep things a bit simpler (since no one I'll be playing with has ever even touched GURPS). It looks like as soon as someone gets their hands on a Tactical Vest + Trauma Plates, they'll be walking around with about 30 damage reduction. That seems nuts to me. They'd have to be hit with 9d damage (i.e. a Sniper Rifle) to have more than a 50% chance of taking ANY damage. They could just straight up ignore damage from every pistol in the basic rules.
There's got to be something I'm missing...
>>
>>50485907
>They'd have to be hit with 9d damage (i.e. a Sniper Rifle) to have more than a 50% chance of taking ANY damage.
Yup, that's how ballistic vests with trauma plates work in real life, so that's how they work in GURPS. You're not missing anything.
>>
>>50485907
Most standard rifles with normal ammunition can't penetrate the chest armor, but can easily do so if given anti-armor ammunition.

A classic 5.56x45mm APHC from an M16 for example deals 5d(2) pi- damage. This means that you divide the target's DR by 2.

DR 30 becomes 15 and he takes 17.5 average pi- damage, or 2.5 after armor that is then reduced by half for wounding because it's pi-, thus deals 1-2 damage to the HP on average. A lucky roll might do enough damage to cause a major wound, but it's unlikely.

This isn't much, but that's pretty much the heaviest armor you can get and is intended to protect someone from assault rifle rounds just like that.

The normal counter here is hit locations. It's pretty hard to get enough DR on limbs to protect them from firearms and relatively easy to hit them at a modest -2 penalty to hit, so a person with a pistol or shotgun can simply shoot the legs out from under a person in an assault vest. Not using hit locations in a modern game means that DR is going to be considerably more powerful then normal.
>>
>>50485907

>Skipping hit locations
This is where you went wrong.
It's good for a TL4 fantasy game or something, where people are wearing "leather" or "mail armor" or what have you, but problems occur when you give someone a vest designed to protect the important bits of your torso and rule that EVERY hit hits their vest square on.

That said, there are ways you can mitigate your problem without having to backpedal on your rules. Check "Ammunition" on p.279, and start handing out armor-piercing ammo, that way your everyday assault rifle becomes a credible threat again.
>>
>>50486034
>>50486041
>>50486062
Awesome. I hadn't taken armor divisors into account, so that helps.

Also, good to know that hit locations are that important and wind up breaking stuff if removed. I based that decision on GURPS Lite, which doesn't have hit locations and seems relatively balanced (however the largest armor in Lite is only DR 12).

So I supposed my options are either introduce hit locations, restrict equipment to the Lite set to balance around the lack of hit locations, rebalance the equipment in GURPS to more closely match the Lite numbers, or hand out armor-piercing rounds to NPCs to mitigate this corner I built myself into.

Good to know I have some options available.
>>
File: 1474871439897.png (326KB, 377x942px) Image search: [Google]
1474871439897.png
326KB, 377x942px
>>50486256
Or, i dunno, shoot people in the not!Torso? Like the leg or arm or face?
>>
>>50487383
...source on that picture?
>>
File: 1478471724598.jpg (615KB, 1600x2101px) Image search: [Google]
1478471724598.jpg
615KB, 1600x2101px
>>50487462
Drawthread, sorry anon
>>
File: 1472516120874.jpg (37KB, 556x426px) Image search: [Google]
1472516120874.jpg
37KB, 556x426px
>>50487492
Curses. Is there an uncensored version, at least?
>>
>>50485745
i wish i knew how to make kidtitties look big like she knows
>>
File: 31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg (37KB, 643x427px) Image search: [Google]
31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg
37KB, 643x427px
>>50487616
Contrast helps. Dark clothing, light skin, focus on the cleavage you've got. Push up bras, good lights. After that? Well, contrast again. It also helps that despite having small breast she has a distinct chest and hips with a very slender build.

>>50486256
>>50486062
There's pretty much zero high-tech armor that provides any neck protection at all. -5 to hit is pretty much an instant kill in TL 5-8
>>
File: stock.png (295KB, 649x848px) Image search: [Google]
stock.png
295KB, 649x848px
>>50487926
The roughneck leather strap is all thats mentioned, and its an obscure line in Hightech as well
>>
File: GURPS Horror - Neck Protector.png (14KB, 400x148px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Horror - Neck Protector.png
14KB, 400x148px
>>50488250

This is in the "Horror" book.
>>
>>50488388
Ooh good find. Imagine plating that with steel and chain?
>>
File: Gorget_A.jpg (14KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
Gorget_A.jpg
14KB, 200x183px
>>50488388

Another option is to take the "Plate, Heavy" option from the "Low-Tech" book (DR 9) and apply it only to the Neck Hit Location. Weight is a base 32 lbs, lowered to 5% as much for only covering the neck (so, 1.6 lbs).

If you apply the TL5+ option for steel armor found in the "High-Tech" book, you can get the same DR for half weight (0.8 lbs) or double the DR (18) for the same weight.

After that, you can apply Expert/Masterful Tailoring - also in the "Low-Tech" book - to further reduce weight. DR 9 to 18 on the neck for such a low weight range is pretty nice.
>>
>>50488673
That a Gorget?
>>
How do you people find GURPS games and how well does GURPS play online?

I'm kinda tired of my current in-person group and wanted to run a game next year, but nobody near me wants to play GURPS.
>>
>>50488703

Roger that.
>>
>>50488779
Pretty well. GURPS games can be found here, on Roll20 or by kidnapping people and chaining them in your basement, telling them you saved them from a hideous virus outside. Just put on a hazmat suit every time you go out or come in.

I'd say it runs well online. There are people that do storytime on here with their games.
>>
File: he just wanted a GURPS group.webm (3MB, 1000x416px) Image search: [Google]
he just wanted a GURPS group.webm
3MB, 1000x416px
>>50488878
>telling them you saved them from a hideous virus outside. Just put on a hazmat suit every time you go out or come in.
>>
File: 1455030763337.jpg (945KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1455030763337.jpg
945KB, 1920x1080px
>>50488779
Sorry anon, but as a general rule if you want to play GURPs you're going to have to be the one to run it. Most people who play RPGs have been corrupted by D&D, so they will out of hand reject you.

The best way to go about it is to get a bunch of normies together and make their characters for them. GURPS actually runs better with people who don't know RPGs, because it's based off reality more than anything else, and is pretty intuitive. People who only know D&D will come with a bunch of baggage that you don't necessarily want.

I'e done this three times, about to do it a fourth. Spread the good word of our lord and sviour Steve, anon, and may your skill checks roll low a disproportionate amount of the time
>>
File: CxlQb7hUAAEywU0.jpg (114KB, 620x929px) Image search: [Google]
CxlQb7hUAAEywU0.jpg
114KB, 620x929px
>>50489035
Gotta say it.. if I had a good GM, I'd totally go Cloverfield Lane.

>>50489510
Balthazar the Mad runs some games and recruits from the freaks and perverts here.
>>
File: 1474757105826.jpg (486KB, 1060x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1474757105826.jpg
486KB, 1060x1600px
>>50490435
>Balthazar the Mad
Who?
>>
Where do I get started?
>>
>>50491893
GURPS Lite if you want a taste. The Basic Set (Characters & Campaigns) if you want the full course. 4e is your edition. Have fun!
>>
>>50491893
Basic Set, or Lite if you're a pussy. Then you start reading supplemental books and never stop.
>>
File: oWSklgs.png (609KB, 893x294px) Image search: [Google]
oWSklgs.png
609KB, 893x294px
>>50491711
Yo
I run the stargate 1888 and Grimwyrd games. Apparently my players are name dropping me now
>>
>>50491893
>>50491915
>>50491922

Lite is a great beginner's resource, then I'd suggest the Basic set.

http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

Is very, very worth a read before you start. The combat examples give you a feeling for how things go round to round that can be very useful.
>>
Just wanted to say I love you, GURPS and Co. I look around at other systems and their communities, play a few, and always end up coming back. You are my RPG rock.
>>
hey, does anyone have that picture of the weird but era appropriate party with (I think it was):
1. A disgraced Samurai
2. A Cowbay
3. A gentleman thief
4. A French Pirate

I want to remember what year thats in reference to
>>
What can I use leadership for?
>>
File: 1335423047483.png (10KB, 327x173px) Image search: [Google]
1335423047483.png
10KB, 327x173px
I know I've already posted this but I just updated it.

https://legendsmith.github.io/technicolor-dream-GURPS/tcdgapp
Just initalise with the default character, then click "wounds & hp" and click around on the diagram.
Then try damaging the limbs and such. VISUAL REPRESENTATION!

>>50494810
Giving +1 to your teammates in battle if you stand around giving orders.
Leading NPCs
>>
File: Game_Uncharted2_02.jpg (215KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Uncharted2_02.jpg
215KB, 1280x720px
"Third-Person Camera"

Base Advantage: Clairsentience [50]

Enhancements: Aware [+50%], Cosmic (No -4 to rolls with Aware) [+50%], Second Nature [+70%]

Limitations: Clairvoyance [-10%], Reduced Range (5 yards) [-10%], Accessibility (Clairvoyance must face towards character [-10%], Does not ignore darkness penalties [-10%]

Total Cost: 115 Character Points

--- --- ---

Is the ability to constantly look around your character (so long as you are facing them) from a displaced point of view - five yards, to be precise - truly worth that many Character Points?

Also, I know that Clairsentience moves with an object in motion *if* placed within it, but would it automatically follow the character using it, or are levels of the Mobile Enhancement required to emulate what I have in mind?
>>
>>50485907
>They could just straight up ignore damage from every pistol in the basic rules.
I mean there were those two guys that got a bunch of body armor a few years back and could not be stopped by center mass pistol shots, so the cops ended up having to shoot their legs out from under them to top them.
>>
>>50495068
Considering you could use it to look above walls, around corners, etc, probably.
>>
>>50494888
That's pretty damn neat, thanks

>>50495068
Woah, so is that
Good job today /gurpsgen/
>>
>>50494745
I don't have the picture but late tl5/1880's or so. Victorian era
>>
File: NICE.jpg (2KB, 125x117px) Image search: [Google]
NICE.jpg
2KB, 125x117px
>>50496951
Thank you much
>>
>>50438747
Steve Jackson Games has continuously ignored my emails telling them to talk to Erikson about making a Malazan book for GURPS.
>>
>>50494810
Replacing fright checks or morale bonuses for fellow N/PCs, bonuses to skills of others which could benefit from it both in and out of combat, use it to influence and lead others, etc.
>>
>>50495068

Probably not worth it except in a modern action game - while it relies on subsystems, in fantasy it would be much cheaper to use the Wizard Eye spell with a specialist Comp.Mind, and in sci-fi, High TL and an invisible drone camera. A very specialised Control Light would also do the trick.

And if you really want to look around a corner, you can use a periscope or a mirror/camera on a stick for a single level of Gadget.
>>
>>50499183

Yeah, that'd be perfect.

Though I think there's some shitty indie system Malazan game in the works for some reason.
>>
File: Steaks.webm (3MB, 700x412px) Image search: [Google]
Steaks.webm
3MB, 700x412px
Another gurps thread reminded me that a GURPS Ravenous might be a fun setting. Any good sourcebooks for the mexican american war era or so on?
>>
Hey GURPSGEN, I need some help. I'm looking to convert Ars Magica 5th edition to GURPS. It seems like a (mostly) easy port, it's just the magic and advancement system that is giving me a headache.

So, the first question would be, how should I do the magic system? Syntactic magic seems obvious as Ars Magica is Verb+Noun, but how do I preserve the idea of having a high Verb AND high Noun allows you to really excel. Should I keep the verbs and nouns as skills, or turn them into advantages that add to the health(stamina) roll to cast? I figured I could use the spells as techniques, but how should I do fatiguing/non-fatiguing spontaneous spell. In Ars Magica, if you use fatigue, you divide your casting total (That is, Verb+Noun+Stamina+Aura) by two, or by five if you are not using fatigue.

With advancement, GURPS doesn't seem to distinguish between teachers (or other sorts of similiar but different training) of different skills. Ars Magica, the better book you have access to, or the better teacher you have, the more experience you get. How should I work this into GURPS?

Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>50501168
Having parameters determined by skill penalties (rather than energy investment or margin of success) and making the roll be against the LOWER of the two used skill would mean powerful mages need both high verb and high noun skills to pull off big spells

I'm never read too deeply into Ars Magica, so I don't really get this fatiguing/non-fatiguing thing, but you could have all verbs/nouns have a very token FP cost (or no FP cost at all) and instead allow mages to trade energy for skill (I think the mechanics for that are covered earlier in the book). That way, spells don't normally take a lot of energy to cast, but they can if you really need to cast a spell bigger than your skill level can handle. Like i said though, I don't know if that's what you're looking for because I don't know Ars Magica's ruleset.

GURPS: Back to School may have something for you in terms of teaching/learning qualities and rates.
>>
>>50501293
Thanks for the reply! The idea behind formulaic spells is that it allows mages to cast very power effects with little to no fatigue, but they cannot alter or change the parameters of the effect. Spontaneous effects are less powerful, just how so depends on how much fatigue is used.

So, my problem is, in Ars Magica, fatigue is what you pay for either not having a high enough skill for the formulaic spell you tried to cast or as an incentive to try to improvise a spell that you don't know. Just, with improvising, it will never be as powerful as the most powerful formulaic spell the mage could cast, even if they are using the same total. And, it also doesn't punish you for not knowing a particular Verb/Noun at all, as long the other one you used had a very high score.
>>
>>50501587
Huh, so it has a lot of similarities with the Sorcery system in practice despite seeming to be a 1:1 of Syntactic at first glance.

Here's an idea, though it will probably take some refining
1. Use Sorcery (from Thaumatology: Sorcery) as a base rather than Syntactic
2. Require all Sorcerous Empowerment (that system's version of Magery) to be specialized, equivalent to a single verb or noun.
3. If the mage only has one relevant Sorcerous Empowerment (SE), then use the rules for known and improvised spells as normal.
4. !!Not RAW!! If a mage *does* have multiple relevant specializations, allow mages to add levels of SE together if both specializations overlap, e.g. a mage with SE (Fire) and SE (Control) could add the levels together when determining how big a spell he could learn or improvise for reshaping bonfires, making flames leap form a torch, etc.
5. Hardcore Improvisation would be more common in-setting, and mages could use the rules from Powers to temporarily amplify known powers as well. Alternatively, they can buy more powerful known spells than they should be able to, but attempting to use them requires boosting SE up enough.
>>
>>50501806
Alright, alright. That actually sounds good. And, if I remember correctly, that Sorcery allows mages to 'buy' their formulaic spells at a fraction of the actual cost, right? Other than that, that sounds really good!
>>
>>50501860
Yep. The one caveat is that they *must* cost less than your Sorcerous Empowerment advantage. That's why it's beneficial to add two SEs together for learning/improvising bigger spells.

Also, if you buy a known spell at reduced cost *but* it is more expensive than your SE, I would rule that making your SE temporarily "cost" more via any of the "powering up" mechanics from Powers is required for using that powerful ability. Because those mechanics always seemed to rely on FP expenditures and highly-penalized Will rolls, I figured that would be a way to translate Ars Magica's fatiguing formulaic magic to GURPS/Sorcery.
>>
>>50502021
Very cool, thanks! I'll probably come back when I get stuck on translating Magic Resistance and Penetration to GURPS, as Sorcery doesn't seem to require casting rolls.
>>
>>50502106
Certain advantages do. You can either add Requires "X" Roll or change the advantage to a Malediction if casting rolls are a thing.
>>
>>50502138
Wow, I only typed about half of what I wanted to, sorry. Forgot to say that any IQ or Will roll required by an advantage (either by default or added in with the mentioned modifiers) effectively becomes as casting roll when that advantage is part of the Sorcery system/treated as a Sorcery spell.
>>
>>50502176
Alright, thank you very much. This was actually a huge boon to my work.
>>
If a character has access to cloning tech do they have to buy extra lives to use it?
>>
>>50503228
GM's call. Gear generally allows advantages without paying for them, though.
>>
>>50500800
TL5, high tech for era guns. Thats about it
>>
>>50503228
I'd guess it depends on a few things. Are they limited uses? Extra Lives. Is it an unlimited service? Unkillable 3. Is it a PAID service? None, you just pay for it with your money when it happens. Is it a paid service, but you hold a subscription? Unkillable 3 again, but maybe with some sort of 'increased cost of living' limitation, and the stipulation that if you can't pay for it anymore, you lose it.
>>
File: 1426182244212.jpg (185KB, 1287x620px) Image search: [Google]
1426182244212.jpg
185KB, 1287x620px
>>50503332
Horror, too, but mostly just for fluff in the dark, scary woods as the windingo infects people.

>>50503228
>>50503393

Pretty much covers this. If a daily off-sight backup of your mind and memories and a service that 3d prints a new body for you if you die is part of universal health care in your setting then you don't really need to pay for anything, despite basically having Unkillable 3.

I'd note that, IRL, cloning doesn't really work like that. You can't just make a new body on demand if it has to grow up from a zygote, you'd be better off with cloned tissues layered on a 3d scaffold.

Such a setting would have all kinds of crazy stuff though. Could you just print a million of an elite, loyal solider in order to make an instant army?
>>
>>50486041
>>50486256

See this is one of the problems ive got with gurps is the firearms rules.

> designing my own system, but have observed avid discrepencies between games and especially rpgs - and reality.

Gurps interprets stopping power as energy and it isnt. Energy might contribute to it but the real factor is what can the thing possibly achieve.

Also "crushing" damage isnt what id call something that plunges through the skin and causes most of its damage by tearing up things inside beyond external reach. If leaving it as that just to say that its not burning the target up, disintegrating them, or having any other after-damage modifier then I guess thats okay (but its damn annoying and ill-descriptive)

> dont tell me about the video of the bullet shattering a skull, because a mattock will do the same thing

gurps uses energy total on an exponential (square root basis) to determine bullet stats

But Energy (joules) doesnt represent Penetration all that well either since penetration is known formatively to be a Momentum issue (mass*velocity rather than velocity squared).

And in reality the 5.56mm round does NOT have the killing nor penetrating power of 5d6 dice. And as a matter of fact id say the 7.62mm doesnt have 7d6 worth of killing power either (maybe 5d).

The United States military chose the 5.56mm because of its tendency to wound targets rather than kill them.

The Temporary Cavity seen in ballistic gelatin doesnt really apply to somebody who's got bones confining the movements of their tissues. Plus the tissues themselves dont necessarily rip like you'd think.

This is why some Hollowpoints are less effective than they seem, mushrooming out into smooth edges they may push a little more meat out of the way but they arent slashing at it.

> But a Supercavitating round will tear a giant hole through you and blow off a softball's worth of flesh out the back end.

So this gripe is about taking Conventional Logic and thinking it solves a complex subject
>>
File: 1441327678437.jpg (20KB, 296x418px) Image search: [Google]
1441327678437.jpg
20KB, 296x418px
>>50503961
>>
>>50503961
>>50503987

If anything a more useful measure of damage stats would be a Cube Root system rather than Square Root.

>(that means x3 damage = x27 power because it would require 3x3x3)

Because whatever you're using has to affect a Volume of the target.

Some things like Swords and Lightsabers can cut and do some nasty damage with a 2 dimensional effect (cutting laterally) rather than 3 dimensional so those can get some extra bonuses for being what they are.

Most everything else is bound to affect a Volume of something.

---

Also when you're talking *Explosions* those increase in size based on a Cube Root expansion anyway so you would have a rather simple system for increasing explosive size.

Want a bomb that blows up 2 times as big, just make it do 2 times the damage
(though it would have to be 8 times the explosive material because 2x2x2=8)

Probably still divide by 2 after every certain blast radius increment, but at least that could probably remain fixed.
>>
>>50503987

And im not shitposting for saying this, but the effectiveness of the 5.56mm round has alot to do with the fact it actually doesn't deform or shatter like its supposed to.

And point of fact the 7.62x39mm AK round doesnt shatter or even tumble much.

Both of these do just about as much damage to a person as a .357 magnum pistol shot at point blank range. And sometimes a .357 will do even more damage because its 9mm in diameter.

In order to get a 5.56mm FMJ to shatter like its supposed to do it either has to be a point blank shot from a full length carbine, or it has to be from a 20" barrel (which nobody uses professionally anymore except in DMRs).

Energy does make these rifle rounds more effective than pistol rounds but not by much.

Bullet Width has a big effect on damage, gurps does try to take this into account with after-hit modifiers like p+ and p++ but like I explained...

> man got shot in the knee from under a car by a police officer using a .357 magnum, it blew his lower leg off, completely severed it.

Its not just the amount of energy but the amount of it thats absorbed by the target, and how far its spread out.

Look up Supercavitating bullets, this is the reason why flat-nosed bullets such as Wadcutters are both effective on big game in terms of penetration as well as the damage they cause.

Wadcutters are even more deadly than hollowpoints, not because of width but because they're forcing the tissue itself to cause more damage.

They have some of the effect that lends to the lethality of a supercavitator . . . but it isnt ideal. This is like the effect that a snow plow has at not just pushing the now aside but literally knocks it off to the side.

A narrow needle-nose bullet like a 5.56mm is about the opposite of this.

Even the flechette SPIW rounds would keyhole and cause incredible damage.

Which is about what the 5.45mm russian rounds do (7N6 anyway) since they tumble and present the side face of the bullet as the damaging part.
>>
>>50503961
This is a big problem with GUPRS: Guns don't really do that much damage, and rifles aren't much more deadly across their range then pistols.

The idea that a .45 long colt round deals 1/3rd the injury of a rifle round is just silly.
>>
>>50504248
>>50504062
>>50503961
This is all well and good, congrats on the math, but we play gurps to have fun. Not do math. The current disposition of the math is amenable to us.
>>
>>50504248

As for penetration I think a better way for dealing with DR comparisons would be on a ranking system.

Like penetration is a separate stat and the Damage roll is actually the amount of Harm it causes to someone. Thus de-linking the two even though when designing weapons you would determine both of them based on their effectiveness.

Anything that increases in straight force like falling damage or muscle-powered weapons would affect both stats generally at a scaleable rate.

Then for the DR value thats just a factor too, compare Pen vs. DR

Based on how close they are to each other that tells you how the Armor is affecting the Damage.

If its in that territory where the armor is really good then it might be getting -1 or -2 or even -3 damage per die.

And above a certain amount you can say any further damage is halved too because then the only way its hurting you is because of BFT.

And with Armor Divisors it would be really easy to "just add to Penetration"

>>50504341
To be honest ALL pistols do about the same amount of damage in real life. The trick is being able to penetrate enough through flesh to reliably endanger hitting the spine or arteries that are behind it.

This is why the .40sw is favored, it penetrates through flesh like a .45acp but you often get 50% more ammo.

>if anything shooting someone from behind might as well do Double damage

The hydrostatic shock threshold of about 700 Joules most handguns fall under. So all they're doing is creating a slightly larger wound channel.

Above that the way damage increases is also speculative too, high powered rifles (.308 or .338) cause obviously more damage but like ive said a magnum pistol generally causes the same results as rifles that are 2 times the power of them.

Also a 12 Gauge shotgun causes enormous damage (probably 2 times lethality) compared to a .308 even though they have equal firepower.

And buckshot is *literally* like being shot with a .38 Special eight times all at once.
>>
>>50504456
>Like penetration is a separate stat and the Damage roll is actually the amount of Harm it causes to someone. Thus de-linking the two even though when designing weapons you would determine both of them based on their effectiveness.

Congratulations. You have just GURPSed Phoenix Command.
>>
>>50504456
>And buckshot is *literally* like being shot with a .38 Special eight times all at once.

More like a .32 ACP for 00 buck. And the energy is for the whole load of 8 or 9 pellets. If you don't catch them all the effectiveness goes way down.

Also an individual penetrator of a given energy will be more effective than half a dozen totaling to the same energy.
>>
>>50504341
>>50504456
I'm not gonna read all that shit, but there are a few methods to reduce lethality of rifles in GURPS.

>HT162 has alternative rules that all GSW roll 1d, and on a 1, the Vitals are hit. When used with bleeding, injury in excess of HP to the torso is lost, but counts for bleeding penalties to HT rolls.

>Survivable Guns (Pyramid #3/44 - Alternate GURPS II) halves rifle damage to 3d~ and gives them an Armor Divisor of (2).

>Armor Revisited (Pyramid #3/34 - Alternate GURPS I) has several options, including messing with the variability of rifle damage. Armor as Dice converts DR to dice and subtracts from the damage's dice before rolls are made.

Shotguns:
>Buckshot is *literally* like being shot with a .38 special eight times all at once.
.38 Special does 2d pi, 2d-1 pi in holdouts (HT94). 00 Buckshot does 1d+1 pi. That's 7, 6.5, and 4.5 average damage, respectively, all three of which are literally different.

Assuming a single shell of 00 buckshot from a Remington 870 (HT104) is shot at someone two yards away by a Guns (Shotgun)-12 individual after an Aim Maneuver and rolls a 10, that's eight hits, yes, but it's also under 4 yards away. This means that the point-blank shot rules are in effect.

>BS409: Multiply basic damage dice and target DR by 1/2 RoF value (round down). This means 1d+1 * 4 = 4d+4, average damage 18, which is equivalent to being shot three times with .38 Special fired from a holdout.

There is an issue where you actually do more damage just beyong the 10% range when you assume an average roll of 10. Napkin math says that the "point-blank" range should be at 7 yards for shotguns to do the same damage on an average roll of 10 at 8 yards. That's ignoring all other factors, though.

Side note: I looked at Tactical Shooting's point-blank shot rules, and it's to use slug Rcl instead of shot, but change injury type to pi++. By my math, that just gets the same damage values?

>>50505060
so close to >>50505050
>>
>>50503948
He's from a world with tl12 biotech and has a living lab that turns into a cute girl for transportation. The lab has the "facilities" and the knowhow to replicate him if need be and he has a copy of his brain with a snapshot of his memories.
>>
Hey /tg/ tell me about some of the weird shit David Pulver has written
>>
>>50507331
CAT HAT
Biotech
>>
File: A Piedi Rudo.jpg (30KB, 300x302px) Image search: [Google]
A Piedi Rudo.jpg
30KB, 300x302px
Just ran a 50 point one shot. I highly recommend starting at that point cost if you want to create characters and start play that night. The PCs were a little bit less strong than I was used to, but I would say it worked fine, and the players enjoyed it as well (they were all new to GURPS.

Honestly a lot of the complexity in character comes from higher point costs. Character creation is a breeze if you limit points to more realistic levels
>>
>>50507946
>Character creation is a breeze if you limit points to more realistic levels
But how do I take all the skills then?
>>
>>50507946
What was the campaign about? I always wondered about low point values-, even fantasized with half of what you gave out. Pipe dream for me, but I want to knw how you fared.
>>
>>50507946
I have run fun modern games on 25 points, -10 point disadvantage were everyone runs 2 people.
>>
>>50507946
AAR please; we need to know what the fuck happened
>>
File: Massospondylus_BW.jpg (46KB, 800x845px) Image search: [Google]
Massospondylus_BW.jpg
46KB, 800x845px
>>50508088
>>50508149
It was a "Land that Time Forgot" style game, where they played as cavemen, trying to find a new home after they were kicked out of their tribe, and then the rest of their tribe was eaten by an allosaurus.

It was pretty cool. The characters were pretty fragile, as they usually are in GURPS, but I felt like this group worked together better than they usually do (we usually have a 5e game, and they all mostly act like dicks).

>>50507961
Skills weren't that bad honestly. Everyone had just enough points to specialize, so I'd say it worked out. Hardest thing they had was deciding how many points to put in attributes.

And now, some highlights
>get kicked out of village, allosaurus (bonecrusher) immediately attacks village
>go into forest. Starting to get hungry, so hunt for food. Run into a massospondylus (pic related), and the guy who took common sense attacks it with a rock even after I asked whether he wanted to. Masso immediately stomps him into the ground. A good laugh was had by all
>cavemen attempting first aid. Somehow he survives
>eventually find something to eat. getting cold, so they decide to try to discover fire. Guy who took engineering rolls, gets a 3. Proceeds to accidentally light the forest on fire.
>after they escape the forest, they end up in a pteranodon's nest perch. One guy has a dance off with it and scares it away

I had a lot of fun with it. I'd say the only thing to really worry about is that characters have to be a little bit more specialized than usual, but 50 points is really quite workable compared to what some might have you believe.
>>
File: realism in fantasy.png (288KB, 865x961px) Image search: [Google]
realism in fantasy.png
288KB, 865x961px
I love GURPS Fantasy. Should I spam this picture in every "le fantasy/muh realism/it's magic lol xd" thread?
>>
>>50508306
>Guy who took engineering rolls, gets a 3. Proceeds to accidentally light the forest on fire.
He crit succeeded and still managed to fuck up? Tell me those were two different moments
>>
>>50508347
Yes. More like
>guy who took engineering rolls, gets a 3, creates fire
>five minutes later, proceeds to light entire forest on fire acting like a dumbass

>>50507946
>>50508306
Also, if anyone is interested, the main document I used was pdf related. Some fun dino stats in there
>>
Besides Space and Fantasy, are there any other books on worldbuilding? Good non-gurps books are also welcome.
>>
File: Cossiette.jpg (106KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Cossiette.jpg
106KB, 600x900px
>Stargate 1888
>Chapter 3

>When we venture into a black pyramid, deeper and deeper, never thinking how we will get back out again..*

Approaching a great black pyramid the group found a strange, mirrored door marked with a complex triple-triangle rune that our translator confirmed was Norse, and could refer to Binding or Unbinding. Examination and experimentation revealed it reacted somehow with the otherwise inert Assistant spheres. Applied to the rune, it opened a door in the side of the pyramid leading to Stygian darkness.

Invading the darkness adventurously the group was trapped as the door outside closed behind them, left exploring what at first seemed a dark and empty room until something they did lifted a great throne, flanked by stone lions, from the floor. Placing the Assistant in the stone throne's half-sphere socket triggered the whole room falling deep into the earth where they found a room with new features like a pair of ferice warrior women statues and a strange green dias.

Putting an assistant in the cupped hand of one of the warrior women statues opens a path to a tomb, with a metal sarcophagus and treasure scattered on the floor. Careless exploration on the part of Cosette saw the sarcophagus open to release a man in strange armor with a birdlike head.

Attempts were made to communicate him, while he was clearly ill. The nurse's attempt to ask him to open his armor and show his injuries resulted in tragedy, however, as opening his armor showed hideous black tentacles that reached out for people. That got him Killed Dead by the Colonel.

*Period appropriate reference. Alice was published in 1865, so would be something the player characters could be familiar with.
>>
File: tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif (757KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif
757KB, 480x270px
>>50509693
Horror, Low Tech, Thamautalogy and a few others give plenty of ideas for world building.

Even After The End has some fun stuff for world building.
>>
>>50509693
I find the resources provided in the worldbuilding threads pretty useful.
>>
File: Skullcat (TL10).png (953KB, 514x935px) Image search: [Google]
Skullcat (TL10).png
953KB, 514x935px
>>50507772
Seems he really likes cats.
>>
>>50510936

He likes cats
He likes girls
He likes girls who are also cats.
He likes boys who turn into girls who are also cats.
>>
>>50511153
He wrote the introductory section of the metamorhosis virus about an infectious alien virus turning the crew of a spaceship into catgirls, right?
>>
>>50511304
No, I think he wrote the vignette about the catgirl space marines that go in to heat after combat and raped the POWs because their usual fucktoy officer wasn't there.

Basically, God bless Pulver.
Thread posts: 288
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.