[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gloriously Missing the Reference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Lunatics.jpg (160KB, 1024x993px) Image search: [Google]
Lunatics.jpg
160KB, 1024x993px
Greetings /tg/,

I have a question we can discuss, but it might require a bit of explanation.
I have the sort of mind that follows along tracks until they reach their logical end.
Sometimes, while my mind is quickly rushing along this way, I miss the obvious.
This happened to me a number of years ago resulting in an interesting situation that I’ve been meaning to mention to y’all but never got around to it.

>be me
>be killing time in some store
>see a video game system demo
>sound is disabled so I can only guess what game the promotional video is about.
>it’s clearly about a prison, or possibly lunatic asylum
>seen one inmate a couple times, maybe he’s the protagonist
>maybe you have to try to escape, seems like a cool idea
>cops are outside, clearly a riot going on inside
>Seems like the game has potential to be badass
>inmates are violent, but they’re probably patients
>they seem crazy
>look at that one fighting, he’s absolutely insane
>why would he put that on?
>and where would he even find a bat costume?
>Wait a minute.

This was an immediately recognizable cultural icon which I’ve known for as long as I can remember that I was allowed to see for a moment as a completely unknown entity and see them for how truly bizarre they are.

I find ttrpgs are excellent for this, because the GM can describe characters, places, and events without being obvious (sometimes), leading the players to respond as their characters naturally would, without unconsciously meta-gaming with their familiarity.
But as I’ve mostly GM’d and I don’t copy characters wholesale, my stories would simply be summed up as listing off characters my npcs were based off of. And I have no real recent examples.

My question is this:
In or out of game, has the situation ever happened to you where you were presented with something you were intimately familiar with, but saw it with fresh eyes?
>>
>>50414808
tldr but from the amount you wrote I'm guessing we're dealing with some hardcore autism.
>>
>>50414831
TLDR: he played Batman: Arkham demo without realizing it was about Batman. Suddenly epiphany that it was batman made him realize that hey, if you approach it from a new angle, it's a completely new experience.
>>
I hoped my question would have functioned as a tldr, but:
>>50414852
Basically this, only it was just the video demo.

>>50414831
>I'm guessing we're dealing with some hardcore autism
Eh, only when I'm posting online.
I think in ways that are stupidly detailed and convoluted to talk like.
It tends to come out a bit when I post.
Irl I'm damn affable.
>>
File: 1415588425231.jpg (126KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1415588425231.jpg
126KB, 800x450px
My DM's modus operandi is to throw as many disguised references into his campaigns as he can.

One of the more recent ones I recognized was the time he made Samus Aran an NPC in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>50414808
I've never experienced this myself, but I've tried to recreate this experience, of making what would ordinarily be familiar seem fresh and new. Mostly I think I've failed.

One time, though, in a puzzle-themed horror campaign a friend of mine was running at the time (only lasted a couple sessions before dying, but was super fun while it lasted), There was a puzzle in which we were in a dark room with a metal grate as a floor, and the floor was the last thing we noticed. Beneath the floor was a visible machine that was involved in the puzzle, and it came as a huge surprise when we finally noticed what was right under our noses. It's not really the same, but it's another interesting experience that I think tabletop games create better than almost any other medium of narration, and I thought I'd bring it up.
>>
>>50415001
>damn affable
>>
>>50415229
>My DM's modus operandi is to throw as many disguised references into his campaigns as he can.
This could be good fun but it'd also easy to slip into a constant gag that isn't always appropriate.
You don't want players looking for references instead of immersing themselves in the game.

>>50415894
>I've tried to recreate this experience, of making what would ordinarily be familiar seem fresh and new. Mostly I think I've failed.
That's how I feel a lot.
But you gotta keep trying.

Your example of the puzzle room reminds me of one of the difficult parts of implementing something the players would immediately recognize if you told them straight out.
It can be difficult to give them enough description to faithfully describe the scene without giving it away.
I remember there was a story some anon told where his GM and co-GM went to absurd lengths describing things visually to the point that the party, a group of nomadic barbarians in a new land, spent an agonizing length of time figuring out that the strange substance falling from the sky was, in fact, snow.
And a similar length of time figuring out that a mysterious assemblage of stones at the top of a hill was, in fact, a wall.

>>50416488
>>damn affable
Indeed.
>>
>>50416640
>a story some anon told
Found it:

>Once me and some friends played with a pair of duo DM's who had this habit of never saying what something was.

>For example; it was snowing. What did they say? 'white cold flakes of something fell from the sky' one said. Being as we just left a campaign I was running, which are notorious for traps and difficulty(or so they tell me, Ive never had a player die at the time, so not sure how true that is) So we spend the first few minutes making sure, in this strange land we have never been to before, and that the DM's refuse to tell us anything about, that the white flakes falling from the sky were not some kind of poison, bits of white meat from something that got ground to dust in the sky, or something else horrible. After a few minutes of probing we finally got one of the dm's to relent and say, its snow, just snow.

>Then there was a fort on a hill. Rather then saying there was a fort on the hill, we got a 20 minute explanation about how the land curved upward, and eventually led to brick after brick sitting atop one another in even stacks covered in moss. After we got the explanation one guy said he was going to examine the brick pile. The DM's were confused, asking 'what pile?' 'the one covered in moss you guys just spent half an hour talking about' The look on their faces, like we just said the dumbest thing in the world. So, rather then being direct or saying 'it is a fort on a hill' or 'what part of what I said made you think it was a pile of bricks?' Or something reasonable, they said fuck it, repeat the description, but with more detail about the bricks, and the way they were set up. this time I guessed, 'is it a wall?' To which they both responded 'duh'.
>>
>>50416835
That seems like it would get incredibly annoying fast.
>>
File: no survivors.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
no survivors.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>50416835
The thing is, even po-dunk, remote-ass Barbarians are going to grasp the concept of "wall" pretty quickly, and are going to recognize snow easily too.
Reminds me of what one old D&D player called "zipper Dming", that is, forcing you to take damage when you fall over because you didn't specify your character zipped his fly and so he skins his wiener.
Not to say it can't be fun to exploit what players take for granted or assume, but seriously, the adventurerers are at least semi-competent human beings.
>>
>>50416916
>>50416974
Precisely
I've flirted with this when introducing anachronistic elements into a fantasy game, but that level of obtuse bs is faggotry.
>>
>>50415229
>disguised references
>>
>>50414808
>I have the sort of mind that follows along tracks until they reach their logical end.
well aren't you just precious
>>
>>50417926
That's the only reason to use it, if you're doing some barrier peaks shit it's appropriate
>>
>>50420395
>well aren't you just precious
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.