[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hptg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 24

How would you go around making a hp game?

School based? Adults in the wizard world? Muggle paranormal investigators?

Also, during the canon history? Or after? Or maybe before?

Alternative universe?
>>
Surely you jest
Anyone can see that
Generally Harry Potter is terrible
Even you must agree
>>
>>50406452
>Adults in the wizard world?
The wizarding world outside of Hogwarts isn't all that fleshed out, so it's definitely a more ambitious project than just retreading the book's setting.
>>
Didn't we just have this thread?
>>
Adults in the wizard world. Namely, 1920s noir style like in Fantastic Beasts.

The aesthetic is so cool. You could play as aurors, chasing down serial killer wizards, magical beasts, mysterious plagues, and stopping no-majs from discovering magic.
>>
>>50406699
It's a general now.

also

>During the final of the 1473 Quidditch World Cup, all seven hundred fouls were committed. These naturally included all 11 aforementioned as well as:

> Transfiguring of a Chaser into a polecat.
> Attempted decapitation of a keeper with a broadsword.
> The release of one hundred blood-sucking vampire bats from under the Transylvanian Captain's robes during the game.
> Setting fire to an opponent's broom tail.
> Attacking an opponent's broom with a club.
> Attacking an opponent with an axe.

This is cool, but how the fuck do we fix Quidditch?
>>
>>50406758
>how do we fix Quidditch

Remove Snitch. Add clocks.

Boom.
>>
>>50406452
>dat look
>dat innocence
>the things I would do to that creature
>>
>>50406758
Using the IRL rules, maybe?

Or you could make the matches last several sessions with a lot of points gained, making the snitch less of a factor.

>>50406786
>Luna
>innocent
She's seen things you people wouldn't believe.
>>
>>50406800
>Implying that would stop me from demolishing that spellpussy.
Her friendly alien mindset actually makes her hotter to me.
>>
>>50406776
Somebody in the last thread said leave the snitch as the game-ending play, but make it worth 15 points instead of 150. That way there's more to seeker strategy than just a mad rush to find the thing and auto-win, and there's no possibility of a tie game.
>>
>>50406836
But that's wrong, you idiot.

Imagine Team A has 65 points, and Team B has 20 points.

If Team B catches the snitch, they lose the game.

You should never introduce a mechanic that makes one of your players basically useless.
>>
>>50406929
>You should never introduce a mechanic that makes one of your players basically useless.
Did you forget that the Snitch already makes every other player besides the Seeker useless?
>>
>>50406452
>Muggle paranormal investigators?
> You play a team/organisation that discovered the secret of wizards
> They know there is a leak, and they will do anything to find and fix it.
> You have to escape alive and with your memory intact
Thriller, if not horror, campaign.
>>
>>50406452
There's a ton of exciting possibilities.

The problem with the Harry Potter setting is that the magic system is complete trash. It consists solely of overly-specific parlor tricks and the three forbidden curses.
>>
>>50407081
You would probably need something free form to make it work. Eiher somemthing similar to Mage: The Awakening, Ars Magica or Spheres Of Power.

Altrough the spell list at harry-power wikia is fairly large.
>>
>>50406929
That's my point, though. If Team B is down by that much, then their seeker's job is to assist the beaters in fucking up the other seeker until they pull back into range. This is what I mean by making their job more than just madly dashing after the snitch for the whole game. They have to keep up with the flow of the main game, stay aware of their teammates, and actually contribute. As opposed to the current rules, where the seekers play the real game while the chasers jerk off for an hour.

Side note: Team A could not have 65 points, since goals are worth 10 and apart from the snitch there's no other way to score.
>>
>>50406452
I guess a game set, on say, 1800 could be rather interesting.
There would be space for completly new characters and plots, so it wouldn't have to be a canon rehash. But you would need to make up a lot of stuff.
>>
>>50406452
>How would you go around making a hp game?
Natural 20 did it right in its muggle part.

One day, you wake up in your bed and nothing is out of the ordinary.
You are a simple police officer investigator that lives a simple life and never sees anything strange or out of the ordinary.
You put on your cassette player and go out for a jog.
But once you turn on the player, you hear your own voice coming out from the headphones. The voice you don't remember recording.

"If you are listening to this, they got you and erased your memory for the 15th time. Now here is what's going on..."
>>
Three damn generals in two days and you squibs are still rehashing problems that were solved in the rules PDF that was posted in the first one.
>>
>>50406452
I would do alternate universe. Make spellcasting a bit harder than it is in the books, more like transfiguration. I allways hated that you can literally just cast most spells by reading their name and speaking it aloud.

Also with an alternate universe without all the real characters you can set a game in Hogwarts of the Harry Potter time without messing with established characters, I allways hate hate hate that in RPGs, but you can keep all the interesting stuff about Hogwarts, Hogsmead, the houses and shit.

I could really see both school based and adult, as well as starting as students and doing the low levels as tiny students, and then going on to adult life when you are higher level.

I would probably use GURPS, it has so many fucking magic systems that are all good that I am certain you can hack one to capture the Harry Potter feeling.

What the world - and we as well - really need is big universal rpg system focused entirely on magic. Its kinda okish to use a normal universal system for it, but I just don't feel that there is a system that both has a good, extensive and versatile magic system and really works well when every character is doing magic. What I would really want and have been thinking of building with my rpg-group for some time now is a system focused entirely on magic and as hackable and customizable as GURPS. I feel a GURPS-like approach might work really well when you have a more focused system.
>>
>>50407214
>"If you are listening to this, they got you and erased your memory for the 15th time. Now here is what's going on..."

>the memory erasers not figuring out the recording trick for the 15th time
Fucking wizards.
>>
The reasonable fix for quidditch is to use USQ rules. The Snitch is worth 30 and isn't released with the other balls.
The fun fix is to use canon league rules that makes matches last for days and causes the snitch to be worth much less than it is in a Hogwarts school match.
>>
>>50407230
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Tabletop_RPG

The system seems nice, but entirely focused on school.
Has anyone played it? How does it run?
>>
File: wgcovj.jpg (270KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
wgcovj.jpg
270KB, 800x605px
Surprised nobody's posted this yet
>>
>>50407081
I always quite liked the magic setting. I imagined that there were thousands and thousands of those "parlor tricks" so there was something for everything.

Hard to implement in an RPG though I admit.
>>
>>50407238
>I always hated that you can literally just cast most spells by reading their name and speaking it aloud.
You also have to make the correct movements, have a wand, and for advanced spells, have the right mental state.
A skillful wizard can leave out one or two requirements, but the resulting spell is weaker. An amazingly skilled wizard can leave out some requirements and still cast at full power, but that requires a lot of natural talent and practice with that specific spell.
>>
File: Academagia_Adventuring.jpg (1MB, 1124x960px) Image search: [Google]
Academagia_Adventuring.jpg
1MB, 1124x960px
>>50406452
>>50407317
Surprised nobody posted THIS yet.
>>
>>50407265
They're really really bad with tech. Operating anything more advanced then what your average amish farmer would use is pushing it.
>>
>>50407352
Which is fucking retarded considering there are a bunch of muggleborn wizards out there.
>>
>>50406452
>>50406695
>Adults in the wizard world?
>The wizarding world outside of Hogwarts isn't all that fleshed out, so it's definitely a more ambitious project than just retreading the book's setting.

However, it also offers the GM a lot more wiggle room to play around with and make a setting that works for the story of the campaign and the characters.
>>
>>50407305
The creator ran a quest thread with the system and it worked pretty well even when /tg/ got a hold of it.
Extrapolating the rules to work outside of Hogwarts is relatively straightforward, you just need a library to study at in order to rank up. Skip the school-specific rules like classes. Item creation, spell use, combat and everything else aren't dependent on being at Hogwarts.
>>
>>50407305
I can just imagine the third day of a pro quidditch match. Since substitutes are for muggle sports with their logic and sense, the players have all been airborne for well over 65 hours. Every last one is slumped forward on their broomsticks like a drunkard. They'd all have dropped dead by now if fans didn't keep throwing them food and water (a martyrdom of sorts for the fans, as doing so gets you ejected from the stands).

Meanwhile only the rich fucks in their luxury boxes and a few die-hards are still in the arena. Everyone else went back to the camp site to party the previous night, because it really looked like the Liechtenstein seeker was going to button things up. But he fell of his broom, the dozy squib, and managed to break himself in half on the way down. And now as the healers knit his shattered spine back together the fans mill about in a hungover stupor, wondering why the game's still going and where they put their bezoars.

And this is just a preseason game.
>>
I would just try to capture the similar feeling and aesthetic without blatantly ripping off J,K,Rowling's world.

Rustic and homely magic is the deal, the sort of magic you expect both your nice and wicked grandmothers to practice.
>>
>>50406726
Magical FBI in the jazz era: the game. Sounds really neat. I'd play it.
>>
>>50407334
Sure, but for most stuff it just seems to be so basic and simple that it absolutely blows my mind why there are apparently so many people in the wizard world and even in Hogwarts that fail at basic spells, Harry literally just reads the words from the Half Blood princes book and says them aloud while holding a wand and they work. And thats what almost every spell is like. It just feels way too fucking easy for an RPG and way too fucking inconsistent in the novels. The only thing that is hard apparently is transfiguration.

What you describe is what is SHOULD be like, it is how it is always POSTULATED to be, but having just re-read and then immediatly listened to all seven books as audiobooks, it never feels like it. There are several instances of people literally just repeating the words someone else just said and it just works perfectly.

Also, there being no apparent rules for what makes a certain word a spell is just so stupid. Why the fuck is everything in Latin? Is latin somehow accidentially magical? What stops you from just saying random latin words that relate to what you are trying to achieve and hoping for the best? How is making up new spells apparently a hard thing when they allways just so happen to be latin with very little exception?

That's why I would change that, why I would play in an alternate universe with different key people and different spells that are more akin to transfiguration, which FEELS like the only thing that you actually need a lot of experience in and where it is not enaugh to just mumble some random words but requires a lot of exact concentration.
>>
>>50407506
Also, for a good RPG, the way magic duels work needs to change a bit.

>Is it an unforgivable? --> DODGE
>Is it any other spell? --> DODGE or PROTEGO
>Is my enemies guard down? EXELLIARMUS INTO SOMETHING ELSE.

is not exactly the most inspired system for interesting battles, the most RPG worthy battle in the books is Voldy vs Dumbledore in the ministry.
>>
File: 03.png (3MB, 1813x1300px) Image search: [Google]
03.png
3MB, 1813x1300px
>>50407482
Maybe something like this? But then, it's magic manages t even less explained than HP
>>
>>50407573
Yeah, something more transfiguration based would be nice
>>
>>50406976
That's why we're trying to fix it you asswipe.
>>
>>50407610
>That's why we're trying to fix it you asswipe.
Yes, but that fix, despite not being particularly great, was better than the rule it replaced.

Could it be improved? Sure, I personally think 25 points is a good amount (beats a 2-point lead), but the 15-point rule is a marked improvement over what already is.

Take your gains before you start looking for more of them. Game design is like sculpting... adding and removing and modifying to perfection, not shitting on every possible change unless that change is flawless upon release.
>>
>>50407593
Basically yeah, also thanks for giving me another manga to read.
>>
>>50407506
The "latin" bit is fixed with a tiny bit of headcanon mixed with real canon.

Wizards don't need incantations. They don't need to say anything. African wizards don't use words or wands, yet they cast spells just fine.

Many of the spells with actual faux-latin incantations are basic, fundamental spells (lumos for light, incedio for fire, accio to retrieve, stupefy as a basic attack spell), that are taught to 11 year-olds.

So, I postulate that the Ministry of Magical Education sat down and said "okay, here are some fundamental magic spells. Let's make up simple, latin incantations for each one, so students have an easier time focusing."

When you get down to it, wands and words are just helping FOCUS the magic. The Ministry probably standardized some spell incantations just to make it easier to teach magic to students.

They could have made the chant for Incendio "fuckin' flame on", or the chant for Accio "c'mere bitchmade". The words themselves don't matter. They're just focusing tools.

We see loads up wandless and/or silent spellcasting in the books and movies. Snape countercurses the broom with only words, no wand. Dumbledore and Graves do wandless, wordless magic fuckery all the time because they're dope AF wizards.
>>
>>50407718
Except that Harry casts sectumsempra on Malfoy just by saying the words despite not knowing what it did and it worked perfectly.
>>
>>50407690
Mahou Tsukai no Yome is really nice. It actually dogdes plenty of the animanga tropes and conventions.
Well worth the read
>>
>>50407759

Ah shit...

...magic, don't gotta asplain' shit?
>>
>>50407573
It has been said that the disarm spell is not actually the "standard" dueling spell, it's just Harry's go to finisher.
>>
>>50407412
Consider that they grow up in Hogwarts, receive no "normal" education, and generally live isolated from the muggle world from when they are 11.
>>
>>50407759
Well, magic is magic. Sometimes weird shit happens.

Think back to "wingardium leviosa". Everyone knew the incantation, but only Hermione managed to make anything float.

You expect me to believe that Harry nailed the pronounciation and hand gesture down PERFECTLY after only reading scribbled of the word in a notebook?

I'd say that's a part of the book where magic is weird. Harry cast the spell with intent to harm, saying words he didn't know would work. Accidental magic happens all the time, because magic don't got no rules n' shit.
>>
>>50407718
>do wandless, wordless magic fuckery all the time

thats just movie only stuff. Never happens in the books. Dumbledore is quite impressed when young tom riddle tells him he can do a lot of magical stuff willingly without a wand because most people can't do that at all. There is a reason the damn kobolds really really want to have wands as well, because after a certain point you just need a wand regardless of who you are and where you are from.

but yeah, thats more along the lines I imagined it should be. Its completely bonkers that saying wingardium leviosa and doing the right movement just somehow works with no explanation as to why that exact combination just happens to do that, even to people who don't understand latin. I allways imagined there would have to be a more fundamental thing that you need to concentrate on that the words and movements help you with, but that never comes up in the novels and there are literal counterexample of people paroting spells they heard someone say and it just works.

I don't remeber the name or author, but I recently read a fantasy novel where you had to do arcane shit like think of a few different things in order and then do some weird movement to get you into the right state. One spell was somehting like first thinking off an orange square up in the upper right, then thinking of a triangle that is blue in one corner and gradually gets red towards the opposing side, which turns into a yellow hexagon in a summer breeze, all the while doing a weird forwards and backwards waving motion. People just followed these instrucitons very clearly and needed ages to get it right to get into JUST the right mental state when first learning it. They also only had a dozen or so spells from magical elves travelling to their dimension through a portal, because the only way to get into the state of mind that allows you to invent spells is when you get insane from casting too many spells and start murdering everyone you love.
>>
>>50407921
Except that the spell does exactly what it was supposed to, to the extent that its creator immediately recognised it, and that later on Harry gets admonished not to cast spells he doesn't recognise. Like it or not, the wand gesture and the words are what makes the spell work, with some needing intent, but there's no need for the wizard in question to actually know what the spell is or what it does.
>>
>>50407957

Maybe it can work both ways? Say, the incantation doesn't necessarily matter if you know the spell.

But if you just know an incantation and test it out, magic would probably be like "well that incantation has only really done this one thing so I guess this person wants to do that", and then it casts that spell.

It's magic, rules don't have to be finite. Know a spell but not the words? Make up your own words. Know the words but not the spell? Fuck it, the words will know the spell.
>>
WW1, duh.
>>
>>50408004
None of what you are saying is canon. The levicorpus spell that harry learned from Snape's book specifically had a note "non-verbal" next to it, so it was intended to only be used that way.
The incantation is an integral part of the spell, so much that you have to say it in your head even when casting non-verbally.
>>
File: witch trainer.png (447KB, 779x579px) Image search: [Google]
witch trainer.png
447KB, 779x579px
>>50406452
>>
>>50407214
I know you stole this from a fanfiction, i just cant remember which one.

It is also a good idea
>>
>>50408069
>It's magic, rules don't have to be finite
>>
>>50408004
If you're just making up your own headcanon do whatever you want, but if you're trying to base something in this universe then you really ought to obey the rules set out. Even that fanfic managed it, they conceded that while it makes no god damn sense the words and gestures genuinely do matter.
>>
>>50408125
Did it actually finish into a proper Princess Maker or is it just porny dress-up doll?
>>
>>50408168
Which fanfic?

Also, Harry Potter magic has absolutely no rules, makes no sense, and is basically a Macguffin for everything that happens in the children's story. You basically have to headcanon it if you want to apply it to a system.
>>
>>50408169
The dress-up flash thing isn't the game. That's the dress-up based on the assets from the game. It's not a princess-maker-like. It is a full game.
>>
>>50408190
Rowling has said the magic follows concrete rules, and while she's never stated them outright, there are a lots of partial statements, like the Five Exceptions to the Elemental Law of Transfiguration.
>>
>>50406818
>>50406786
I would drown in her lily white crotch.
Oh ye gods
>>
>>50408127
> I know you stole this from a fanfiction, i just cant remember which one.
IT'S LITERALLY MENTIONED IN THE POST
>Natural 20 did it right in its muggle part.
>>
>>50408190
>Which fanfic?
HPMOR, a terribly written fanfic that did some mildly interesting worldbuilding and lampshade hanging

>Harry Potter magic has absolutely no rules
No actually it has very simple rules; spells are set effects triggered by magic words and waving wands. You can do more esoteric magic beyond that but at its basic level using a spell is using a premade tool. Spells are invented by wizards and witches and written down, then if they're useful news gets round and people learn them. These rules don't make much sense for the reason you describe, i.e. they're children's book simplifications, but they do exist.

As for applying them to a setting, they actually don't need much work to do it because fundamentally you have a giant list of spells ordered roughly by difficulty the same as D&D. Magic should require a few checks to work out if you know the spell, know the correct pronunciation of the incantation and a dex check equivalent to see if you can pull off the wand wiggle. Add a massive penalty if they lose their wand or can't talk and add feats that allow non-verbal on 5th year or less spells of bought or similar.

From a world building perspective Potter magic is silly but from a gaming perspective it's most RPGs with magic in them.
>>
>>50406786
>>50408257

go on...
>>
>>50408277
Yep, i'm an idiot.
>>
>>50407882
>receive no "normal" education
They live with their parents at least three months of their lives. Presumably, a good parent would notice the shortcomings of wizard education.
>>
Queenie is a 10/10 waifu.
>>
>>50406758
>This is cool, but how the fuck do we fix Quidditch?

You don't. It's Calvinball with slightly more structure and should be treated as such.
>>
>>50408295
This can't be true, let me look up this in Google...

WELP, I REGRET MY LIFE CHOICES
>>
>>50408168
>>50408190
The way I see it, the only thing that makes sense is to just treat HP magic like real magic. Essentially, if you believe you can do something, you can, and words/gestures/wands/etc have definite impacts on whether you feel you can do something. So a fresh 11yo at Hogwarts might have a difficult time believing they can levitate a feather, and needs all sorts of help to do it, whereas Dumbledore is absolutely confident in his abilities, so can do lots of magic with no help at all. But, and this is key, the focusses AREN'T just placebos, they REALLY MATTER. Different spels have different attributes that associate them with certain words, ideas, materials, gestures, sounds, etc...

So, Harry casting Sectumsempra works like this: Snape is angry, and wants a spell to really hurt someone. He pracices focussing his will and trying to cut things into pieces. In order to make it more powerful and easier to do he starts adding things to it, a jab focusses spells on a target, the incantation sounds like cutting, etc...
Then Harry reads the spell in a book. He's angry at Malfoy, he ants to hurt him, he says the incantation, and everything lines up, his magic draws on Snape's creation of the spell and repeats it.
>>
>>50407921
>>50407957
What probably happened was that Harry has enough talent to leave out the somatic component and the word/wand/emotion components were enough to carry it through.
>>
>>50407143
There was this failed Kickstarter game called SPELL I heard about. You played it with scrabble tiles. When you cast a spell you stated your intent, drew a set of tiles, and tried to spell something that would carry out your intent. So if you wanted to stun somebody but could only spell Dance they'd start dancing so hard they couldn't do whatever it is they were doing. You could also remember a certain number of spells you "learned" in game and spend the EXP equivalent to have them permanently.
>>
>>50408342
You sure? Many would just do normal summer vacation things with their kid who they haven't seen for 9 months and ask to tell them all about the wizarding world. Not to learn.
>>
>>50408408
Reminds me of this:

>Magic exists because the universe remembers what people do. Anyone can do a rote-spells used so often that their performance has worn grooves in the universe's memory. The talented might be able to get more from a rote or perform it with greater precision, but anyone can speak the right words, wave the reagents, and perform the correct gestures so as to trick the mind of the universe into completing the action.

>A spell to conjure fire works because it has always worked-one speaks the incantation of flame, makes a half-circle gesture with their right hand and makes a throwing gesture with their right, and conjures flame from the memory of the universe.

>Likewise, objects gather magic to themselves by being used. One does not forge a magic blade-one finds a blade wielded by the hand of a mighty swordsman, and coaxes the universe to remember the skill and deadly agility that the blade once danced to. A crown becomes enchanted because people continually bow to the wearer, and so the universe recalls that such a thing is to be.

>The true talents, however, go beyond mere rote; they can evoke the connotations and meanings hidden in the world, and tap into the memory of the universe without a chant and dance. An evoker can conjure fire by merely holding an object once burned and causing it to remember the fire that caressed it. With the blade and attire of a master swordsman they can evoke the same feats of skill and daring that made the original a figure of reknown. >Likewise, an evoker can heal without chants of healing, or animate the dead by causing the bones to remember their movements once again.
>>
>>50408408
>just treat HP magic like real magic
Could you teach me real magic?
>>
>>50408458

>Beyond even the arts of evocation lays the domain of utter mastery-a master is one who can craft an image of what they will in their mind, hold that image, and then evoke that image into the greater universe. Masters need no rotes-they CREATE rotes, for ease of use and simplicity's sake. A master first crafts their image, holds the image, evokes it into the world, and performs a set of actions so as to form an association between the two so that the universe will remember it. It may take hundreds of repetitions, but eventually the new rote will take hold, and be easily available to all.

>In this world, the every-day life is made easier by simple rotes passed down by parents, religions, and teachers. Literacy becomes important because it is how one can learn additional rotes, which directly impact ones' quality of life. Those with greater access to rotes form the bulk of the nobility; greater access to teachers and leisure time ensure that even the meanest noble knows and can perform a great many rotes.

>Meanwhile, the common citizen's life is improved by their knowledge of rote magic; any beggar can chant a spell to stave off hunger-pangs, banish fleas, or conjure warmth. Rotes make chores faster and easier; mending a pot takes half the time with a mending tune to meld the metal, and crops grow lush with rotes to call the rain and banish pests. A farmer might not own a magic sword, but their plow might have picked up magic to carve through soil and never dull, and a special kitchen knife might slice through flesh and bone with exacting precision.

>When the great lords go to war, sorcery and skill becomes melded. Choirs of skilled rote-mages chant spells of destruction and preservation, while weapons enchanted with the magic of long practice find employ in soldiers' hands along with deadly battle-magics. Still, if one is not killed outright, rotes of cleansing and mending can ensure that no wound becomes septic and any injury heals quick and clean.
>>
>>50408476

>Certain rotes become a crime to know(or at least employ) if ones' social status is not sufficiently elevated. A charm to command minds, for instance, or a chant that douses the location of gold swiftly becomes the property of the local nobility. Battle-magic is the purview of those who fight for a living, and the great chants of healing and faith are claimed by the churches.

>Outside the social structure lays the Evokers and the Masters. Evokers are wildcard figures, often mavericks who can shake up the social order with their free-flowing magic limited by materials and imaginations. Masters, by contrast, are held as untouchable, otherworldly figures; the archetypical wizard in their tower that no lowly mortal should offend, as it is masters alone that can create and disseminate NEW spells to the world at large. Even the great kings bow and scrape humbly when they seek a master to craft some new rote for their populace.
>>
>>50408422
No one says anything about learning during the vacation.
>"Hey, I know you are having fun in that wizard school, but you should read normal books too."
>"From what I've heard from you, the wizards have no idea what the modern world is like, and I don't want you to be limited in your options."
>"Here, here's a book about basic stuff, take it with you to school and read it when you feel like it."
>>
>>50408381
>>50408295
The fuck happened, she went from cute girl to British slag.
>>
File: magicwand01_2054.png (120KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
magicwand01_2054.png
120KB, 320x220px
>>50408408
>like real magic
wut?
>>
>>50408512
Harry Potter came out 20 years ago
>>
>>50408459
Sure, here's a spell to warm you up in the winter. Sit in a comfortable position, take a deep breath, and visualize yourself breathing fire when you exhale. Feel the heat, see the flames, feel yourself getting warmer. Do that seven times and you'll be warmer. Don't do it more than seven times. Also don't imagine fire going IN, that can create imbalances in your body you don't know how to fix.
>>
>>50408513
And the movies came out 5 years ago at most.
No excuse, considering Luna was introduced in OotP.
>>
>>50408535
Well, Evanna Lynch is 25.

Take that as you will
>>
>>50408512
>british
There's your problem
>>
>>50408555
And some girls still look cute in their late thirties.
Take that as you will.
>>
>>50408523
I'll try this out when it gets colder. It's 70 degrees out right now.
>>
>>50408523
>>50408625
>>>/x/
>>
>>50408625
> It's 70 degrees out right now.
Kelvin or Celsius?
>>
>>50408658
Fahrenheit.
>>
>>50408669
Next thing you tell me you still use those silly Imperial units.
>>
>>50408676
I'll give you the silly Imperial units but I'll always defend Fahrenheit. 0-100 is a succinct and ideal communication of "cold as balls" to "living things are cooking" as a relative scale for humans to use.
>>
>>50408735
>-18C
>cold as fuck

Anything above -30C is t-shirt weather.
>>
>>50408523
Also, that isn't "magic". You're just tricking your mind into making you feel warm by taking your mind off the cold.
>>
>>50408831
Yeah, it's headology. I understand the confusion, though, witches use both.
>>
>>50408831
Magic is imposing your will on the world. If it works, it's magic. I'm using magic right now to send you this message!
>>
>>50406452
FIx Quiddich

Some adventure ideas

>Work for ministry of magic, have to deal with muggles who see or encounter magical things.

>Be a Auror chasing down monsters and evil wizards.
>>
>>50408901
>>
>>50406452
No love for playing Dark Wizards trying to take over the world?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nkq62gVzhF1sgqwqg.png (285KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nkq62gVzhF1sgqwqg.png
285KB, 500x334px
> "Yer a lizard Harry"
>>
>>50409033
Dark wizard games might get a little dark for my taste in a RPG. Perhaps my players in the past are just can go evil too easily.
>>
>>50408735
Centigrade makes just as much sense, it goes from water freezing to water boiling, though admittedly you don't use as much in an average day.
>>
>>50408555
I would still bash that puss until it bled nargles
>>
File: veil.gif (1MB, 245x144px) Image search: [Google]
veil.gif
1MB, 245x144px
What is this shit?
>>
>>50409642
The veil, a nice mcmuffin.
>>
>>50407238
what's the timeline?

> 1981, November, the Potter Incident
> 1991, Fall, Harry enrolled at Hogwarts

that's 10 years of timeframe to cover,
10 years in which you can assume all the established Background from the books, both schoolwise as well as wizardingworld related to be true
10 years in which you can do basically whatever

the pnpRPG lends itself to five settings:
> 1981 to 1991, pre Harrys time at Hogwarts
> 1991 to 1997, the theme park Ride: Harrys and your time at Hogwarts
> 1997 to 2017, after the fall of the dark lord
> 2017 to 2023, the theme park Ride: the cursed Child and you at Hogwarts
> after 2023, the dark lord defeated (again)

three of those are basically sandboxes which only losely need to respect the book canon.
>>
>>50409642
It's either
A: A portal directly to the afterlife
or
B: A very dangerous Dark artifact

Either way it's dangerous and not something the general public or regular government employees should be anywhere near.
>>
>>50409738
I think 1997 to 2017 is the best timeframe to play around in. There's very little established canon, so you don't have to either make it into Mary Sues Rehash the Canon Books or The Adventures of the NPCs while the Players Watch, and there's also a lot of potentially interesting plotlines coming from the fallout from the War.
>>
>>50409642
>>50409759
Wonder what would happen if Voldy got pushed through it.
>>
>>50409759

"Hey Rufus!"
"Yes, Archibald?"
"I made a portal directly to the land of the dead?"
"The hell you say!"
"Its true. I cast it so you can go and talk to anyone who has ever died. Never again will we have to wonder what awaits us beyond the veil, we can simply pop over and look. Should be perfectly safe."
"'Should' be safe?"
"Should be safe."

[11 deaths later]

"Alright boys, pack it up. Whoever made this thing was a complete idiot. All this does is kill you and scatter your body as ether into the spiritual plane. Don't know why anyone would build such a thing."
"That's a mystery, don't you think?"
"It sure is. Call the Department."
>>
File: 400.jpg (92KB, 950x404px) Image search: [Google]
400.jpg
92KB, 950x404px
>>50410112
>>
I always assumed that the Ministry of Magic was build around the portal. It's said to be at least as old as the ministry after all.

What begs the question, who the hell build it?
And for what they use it?
I mean, it's in the middle of a amphitheatre...
>>
>>50410140
A bit of motivation for actors. Shitty act? The audience jinxes you a bit closer.
>>
>>50406976
That happened in a cannon game though. All the points from all a year's games are added up and, if you're team lost the first and second games by a total of 170 points, you have to wait until your team is ahead by more than 20 points before catching the snitch if you want a chance at the quidditch cup.
>>
>>50410134
>We have top wizards working on it.
>What type of -
>Top...... Wizards
>>
>>50410224
>top aurors
>>
>>50408199
and you should be albe to get it on /aco/ or /t/
>>
>>50410140
Execution?
>>
>>50406929
Fist thing, since every goal is worth 10 points, there's no way that Team A has 65 points.

Second, Team B seeker's role if his team is far behind is to prevent the other seeker from catching the snitch while the rest of the team regains the advantage.
>>
File: Fancy magic wand.jpg (677KB, 1800x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Fancy magic wand.jpg
677KB, 1800x1224px
How should wand cores and materials influence spell casting?

It was only briefly covered in the books and a little more on pottermore, but for the most part wands don't get a lot of attention as to how they vary from Wizard to Wizard.
>>
>>50410518
Not in TTRPG gameplay.
>>
>>50410518
I don't think it makes a particular difference the majority of the time.

If you're unfortunate enough to be forced to use an unfamiliar wand the degree of difference between it and your regular wand would probably matter.
>>
File: 1480194209347[1].jpg (3MB, 1565x2823px) Image search: [Google]
1480194209347[1].jpg
3MB, 1565x2823px
>>50406452
It would be the kind of shitty RPG you may get from one the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>50410140
The protection spell which let you pass through it without dying has been forgotten over the centuries.
>>
>>50410645
>Every thread until you hate it.
>>
File: 1409923455879.jpg (31KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1409923455879.jpg
31KB, 292x257px
>>50410645
>>
>>50410518
Bonuses for some branches of magic.
According to Ollivander, Lily's wand was good for charms work.
>>
>>50410645
But King is great
>>
>>50410645
>Atlas Shrugged
>Les Miserab
>>
>>50410741
What the hell wasn't Lily good at? Dead parents are always perfect in stories.
>>
>>50410197
>That happened in a cannon game though.
So what? That your team has to be curb-stomp-talented in order to be as useful as the Seeker does not mean that it's well-balanced. We're talking one game in which one team was utterly hot garbage... Soccer is the closest analog to Quidditch ever invented, and any professional team that got 15 goals or more behind would be fucking mocked for it.
>>
>>50410765
>>50410752
>not spotting obvious /lit/bait
>>
>>50410777
Handball would be the closest. Even basket. It plays nothing like soccer.
>>
>>50407238
>Make spellcasting a bit harder than it is in the books, more like transfiguration. I allways hated that you can literally just cast most spells by reading their name and speaking it aloud.
In the BOOKS, one needs to practice individual spells for hours to get to a novice proficiency with them and you need seven years of study before you can summon chairs from thin air. Individual people/wands have nacks for particular types of magic, and casting a spell will often test a personal aptitude of yours such as one's concentration, imagination, or passion. One's personal values can give them positive or negative modifiers on spell casting depending on the spell itself as well as the context and intent of a spell (ex. The strength of your Cruciatus Curse depends on your will you have to make your target suffer, from both your general sadism as well as your hatrid of your target). In addition to spells straight up failing the majority of the time their effects aren't binary: the effect of the Killing Curse can from a nosebleed to sudden death depending on the dicepool your skills and values give you and their role. There's even a not too uncommon "backfiring" effect when you try to cast a spell above your level and somehow get fewer success than you need to make nothing happen (like, if you get more 1's than you did successes, all your successes backfire--not impossible for experienced wizards but definetly more common, but not super common, for small dice pools).
>>
>>50410774
Do you have reading issues?
>>
>>50410774
Well I mean they did make James seem more dickish in five, while Lily was just an earlier hermione by the looks of it. The only thing that she seemed to have trouble with was Snape and her sister.
>>50410645
Why is Gatsby always used in /lit/ bait its not that amazing of a book.
>>
>>50407336
A V I L A
V
I
L
A
>>
>>50410916
>Why is Gatsby always used in /lit/ bait its not that amazing of a book.
I think you answered your own question there.
>>
>>50410645
So, this is what passes as shitposting in /lit/?
>>
>>50410645
>Great Gatsby and Atlas Shrugged both god tier.
Holy fucking shit, you have to be a troll.

I see you tried to throw me off with the Count of Monte Cristo, but I see through your ass.
>>
I've sort of 'given up' on perfectly emulating a Harry Potter style spellsystem, though I am keeping many of the other 'rules' of magic and general magical culture in my tabletop settings.

I still feel there isn't really a better magic system for doing spontenaous magic then Ars Magica. Combining Arts + Forms and all that. The only problem is trying to figure out how powerful a spell should be once you roll the dice.
>>
>>50410999
Monte Cristo is probably the best book I've ever read.
>>
>>50411076
Which is how you were feinting (assuming that was you). I always say that Cristo and Oldboy (the original by Park, not the Spike Lee abortion that Lee, Davison and Kahane raped to death) are the two greatest revenge stories ever written in history.

But Gatsby and Atlas are shitty Socialist/Capitalist propaganda. They're the 50 Shades of Gray for Political Science majors.
>>
>>50411076
It is. I wouldn't say it THE best book I've read, but it's one of the better ones.
>>
>>50410999
>Clifford for President
>Something by Kanye West
>both mid-tier

Troll? Really?
I don't believe you.
>>
>>50411196
Oh, I'm not the troll guy, you can tell he's a troll concretely because there's a Clifford book in high tier (not knocking Clifford). I just really like The Count of Monte Cristo.
>>
>>50410324
How does Team B's seeker prevent the other seeker from catching the snitch? He can't use bludger bats, and he can't catch the snitch to play keep away. I'm sure he can't attack the other seeker. Wat do?
>>
File: 1479446742320.jpg (14KB, 192x286px) Image search: [Google]
1479446742320.jpg
14KB, 192x286px
>>50410645
>To Kill A Mockingbird 4 ranks below Great Gatsby
>>
>>50411283
Coordinating with beaters, signaling them to target the other seeker. Blocking the other seeker's view of the snitch until it gets away.
>>
>>50410645
>Hamlet
>a book
>>
>>50411283
The books provides numerous examples of that. Malfoy pushing Harry, the Wronski Feint,...
>>
>>50406452
but OP would hp the game also have HP bloat???
>>
Run Hunter: The Vigil
Play a UN task force hunting down wizardry threats to muggle interests. Start popping wizards full of lead.
>>
You just know Luna takes it in the ass
>>
>>50411718
I bet she Loves Good.
>>
>>50411741
If by Good you mean Dick In Her Ass, then yes, she most certainly does Love Good.
>>
>>50410800
I was mostly just sounding out how many Kingfags were in the thread in case I wanted to talk about that instead of whatever OP's topic was
>>
>>50410955
Honestly, it's more a /tv/ thing
>>
>Years ago
>Play old pottermore
>Get sorted into Ravenclaw
>Hella excited

>Go on there just now and have to make new account
>Get sorted into Slytherin instead
>tfw edgelord

This is because I started going to /pol/, isn't it?
>>
File: image.jpg (351KB, 859x1359px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
351KB, 859x1359px
>>50407317
Closest thing to a official a 'professionally made' Harry Potter game we are likely ever going to see. It even tells you how to convert it to 'that Wizard book series' if you really want to on like the thrid page.

It does have a tween charm to it, and a surprisingly fun simple magic system. But it was made by werdo guy in his basement and it really fucking shows.
>>
>>50413192

>That comic page

Jesus fucking christ, what is that? It's like an edgy mary sue, fucking god damn I hate it.
>>
>>50413239
Princess mega bitch ( I can't be asked look her real name), she is the main mascot, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect if you gave a 13-year-old girl godlike powers and no sense of moral accountability.
>>
>>50413239
whole thing is either fetish or horror fuel. or both.
>>
Lets say I run that Harry Potter game off of 1d4chan. How many people would want to play?
>>
>>50415633
A bit less than 58.
>>
>>50413179
I miss Hufflepuff myself, but that was years ago. I guess I changed a bit since then.

Also, they got rid of the interactive story and dueling club.
>>
I agree with the "Snitch is worth 15 points" idea. It makes the interplay between seekers more interesting and brings relevance to the Chasers and Keepers.

I liked that little bit in Fantastic Beasts where Newt says he's more of a Chaser. It was the little touches that made the movie more enjoyable.

Speaking of which, what's your position? If I ever played, I'd definitely be a Keeper.
>>
>>50410645
Ahahahahahahahahah.

What are we gonna call this guy, /hptg/?

/lit/ troll anon?
>>
>>50415633
I would love to play, run something.
>>
>>50410645
It's a kids book, anon.
>>
>>50410140
>What begs the question, who the hell build it?
>And for what they use it?
I guess it's just... a mystery.
>>
>>50413192
Does she take it in the ass?
>>
>>50416621
He's a guy from /tv/ that, much like Noxious Discharge namefag of old, searches the archives all day every day for references to Harry Potter, then arrives with that pasta.
>>
File: Magical_realm.png (16KB, 201x240px) Image search: [Google]
Magical_realm.png
16KB, 201x240px
>>50407317
>>
luna lovegood a qt
>>
>>50413380
But that's exactly how entire HP verse works - let's give kids absurd power and don't even bother teaching them right and wrong. Then be amazed if someone goes apeshit and starts killing everyone, styling him or herself as the dark lord and other edgy shit
>>
>>50418287
>kid is a racist, selfish cunt
>should we a) try to make him less of a cunt or b) put him with other kids that are like that?
>b, always b
>decade later
>who could had known that that kid would end up crowing up to be the next big dark wizard?
>>
>>50418287
>let's give kids absurd power and don't even bother teaching them right and wrong
They don't give the kids powers, though. They're born with magic, and if they don't learn to use it, bad shit happens. So they send them to magic school to teach them about magic and there's all kinds of rules about them not being able to use most the cool magic until they learn to use it.
>>
>>50418326
Same stupid logic that leads to containment boards.

It's not just Slytherin either, I bet the other three houses have their worst traits reinforced because they spend so much time by themselves, in competition with the rest, and are encouraged to strongly identify with their own house.
>>
>>50418549

Containment boards are put in place when the evil is starting to take over.

They are never done before the evil starts.
>>
>>50418332
Are you at least aware this is a logical fallacy?

Let's work it into an example that you will be able to grasp, following your rules but on completely different system.
Imagine you have a conscript with PTSD. Your choice is to either send him on therapy or hire him as full-time soldier and then throw him in the battle. Or worse, train him relentlessly for years and then just let him go, without adressing any of his issues, EVER.
Then be amazed he entered nearby cinema and shoot dead everyone inside with the service rifle you gave him.

That's the type of shit we are talking about. Like ALL settings written for children, HP verse doesn't work the moment you apply logic to it, because the shit going in the verse is just child fantasy which has no grounding in anything else than escapism.
>>
>>50418570
In the Harry Potter world, people are born with magical powers. If they aren't taught to use them properly, bad things happen (see the newest movie), so they teach the children to use their powers properly and responsibly so bad things don't happen.
>>
>>50418567
Except evil wizards predate Hogwarts.
>>
>>50407438
Problem with this is your players are likely to have been exposed to more fanon than you can shake a stick at, no pun intended.

They'll bitch and moan about it, because people are stupid and believe fanon is true
>>
>>50418595
You just repeated your original sentence.

And it's still a logical fallacy.

But let's try a different approach. You have a mentally-unstable patient. The options are:
a) give them a blanket and pat them on the head
b) put them on therapy to fix the problem for real
Guess which option applies to the verse as the very basic rule of its existence.
>>
>>50406800
>She's seen things you people wouldn't believe.

The films seen from her perspective would be something I would watch over and over again.

Keep in mind that she saw her mother die because that's what happens in the Potter universe when you experiment with magic and have a lax idea of what constitutes safety, spent her formative years with little human contact other than her father who was never quite right after the mothers death, went to school where she was mercilessly bullied from age 11ish to age 16 or 17 during which time she gets embroiled in the start of a civil war, sees people die, can throw deadly curses around with no compunction knowing that they are potentially killing actions, gets kidnapped by magic!Nazis and locked in a basement where she was presumably tortured and/or raped, gets drafted into open magical warfare and comes out of the other side of the whole thing exactly as mentally stable as she started.

Also she managed to bag herself Neville "Dark Lord Slayer" Longbottom, leader of the rebellion whilst Harry and Co. were out on an extended camping trip.
>>
>>50418714
>locked in a basement where she was presumably tortured and/or raped
Spotted the point where the poster's fetish comes through.

>Also she managed to bag herself Neville "Dark Lord Slayer" Longbottom, leader of the rebellion whilst Harry and Co. were out on an extended camping trip.
That didn't last, note.
>>
>>50408291
>Le HPMOR is terribly written meme

Can we stop saying this shit? Does it have structural issues? Sure.

Is it written like most trashy fanfiction one would call terribly written? No, fuck off.

It's well outside Sturgeon's 90%, so fuck off with your ideologically motivated bait.
>>
>>50418751
>It's well outside Sturgeon's 90%, so fuck off with your ideologically motivated bait.
It... really isn't. The number of writing issues in it is pretty stunning. It's not even about ideology--I actually agree with fair-sized chunks of it--but about the fact that it's simply a bad story. Also, Eliezer Yudkowsky is an egotistical cuntwaffle who's terrible at science.
>>
>>50418706
Again, they have these magical powers. If they don't learn to use the magical powers, they will wind up hurting people. Hogwarts is a good thing.
>>
>>50418736
>Spotted the point where the poster's fetish comes through.

You really haven't. I'm not interesting enough to have a fetish.

>That didn't last, note.
What?

Is J. K. Rowling going Full Lucas?
>>
>>50418751
HPMoR is onçy famous for how ridicously stupid it is.
It's the very apex of shit fanfiction.
I have took shits that were better literature than that.
>>
>>50418829
>You really haven't. I'm not interesting enough to have a fetish.
Well, then for the record, there was literally no implication anywhere that she was raped.

>Is J. K. Rowling going Full Lucas?
I'm not positive what you meant by that, but Neville winds up marrying Hannah Abbot, and Luna gets with some descendant of Newt Scamander.
>>
>>50418751
I read HPMOR and I liked some of it but other parts, like that long dojo story, was pretty dumb.
>>
>>50418829
Neville married Hanna Abbot
>>
>>50418714
Luna/Neville is fanon. Neville gets it on with a hufflepuff NPC
>>
>>50418845
>Going Full Lucas

Take something you previously did that people enjoyed that might or might not have been stupid but was fun.

Now extract the fun.

Now add a shit load of additional shit that makes no sense in the larger context of the stories or outright contradicts it.

Add annoying new characters that nobody likes.

Any implied or stated closure that happened at any point with a resolution people were at least content with if not outright happy is torn open so you can spin out the story into something far fewer will be happy with.

there was more I think but I'm too lazy to look it up
>>
>>50418903
Well, that is pretty much how Cursed Child went, admittedly.
>>
>>50418917
Part I of Cursed Child is good. Part II is lousy.
>>
>>50418917
And you know the saddest thing?

I've never seen or read Cursed Child, nor do I want to.

That was just from shit she has said in interviews and on Q&As.

I liked the Harry Potter series. It's sad but there it is. It was stupid but fun. It still is stupid but fun if you only accept the 7 books as official fluff. If you add the other stuff it's just stupid.

Just like Star Wars.
>>
>>50418751
>Is it written like most trashy fanfiction one would call terribly written?
Yes, and the acausal robot god won't bless you for your fanboyism
>>
>>50418714

I want to see a set of Sequels covering Luna's post-hogwarts life. A distinguished veteren of Dumbledor's Army that fought at the battle of hogwarts... who spends most of her time researching things no one else thinks are real and dealing with problems that even other wizards generally dismiss as being faery tales.

When you have a dark wizard on the loose, threatening to take over the world? Call the Aurors, Potter himself might show up to that.

But when your house is infested with femstrobes or some other little-known bullshit, who is going to believe you but Luna Lovegood?

9 times out of 10, the things she investigates are complete nonsense. But it wouldn't take much at all for her to get embroiled in a problem that is growing rapidly out of control specifically because the rest of the wizarding world doesn't see the threat coming.

She is the perfect combination of eccentric character, weird to get involved with unbelievable situations, and with the backstory to justify being incredibly cool under pressure and deal with this before it gets worse.
>>
>>50418706
I'm a nurse in a psychiatric ward, and both are needed.

As seen in the books, not being trained or even ignoring that magic is real doesn't prevent your powers from manifesting.
(Book one, Harry flies, and make a glass panel disappear).
Besides, if you don't give young wizards education, they're gonna experiment by themselves, simply because the normal reaction for any human being given anything (but especially superpowers) is to use it.
(again in the books, the girl that tried to cast a spell on her acne and ended in the hospital)

Magic isn't an illness, you're not gonna cure them.
Some wizards are homeshooled (said in the books), so the parents can take care of their instruction and education.
Yet socializing is a fundamental need for children, but since you have the whole secrecy thing to take care of, and 11 yo are usually not very good at keeping secrets, letting them play with muggles ins't a particularly good idea in most cases.
And since wizards are very few, finding wizards kids to spend time with can be difficult or expensive (floo powder and connection to the network isn't free).
Ergo, a school with magical students is a good solution.
And yes, the house system is stupid.
>>
>>50418751
HPMoR is not a good story. Period.
It's the "Atlas Shrugged" of Harry Potter fanfiction.
It's fucking awful, and you should feel bad for liking it, because it has severe issues with story pacing, character development, character interactions, constant preaching, WORDS WORDS WORDS etc. - do I even need to go on?
>>
>>50418987
I would watch the shit out of that.

Luna Lovegood is the Wizarding World equivalent of the MIB, but not so well funded.

Intersperse it with flashbacks, in Sin City style, to her former life in Hogwarts and it's golden.

Would Rasputin be the BBEG only she believes exists or would he be her whacky gallows humour sidekick?
>>
>>50410645

What a fucking awful meme list and ranking of books.
>>
>>50419028
>Last episode shows the world as she sees it and everything is fucked with dark tentacles and shit everywhere.
>>
>>50419023
>It's the "Atlas Shrugged" of Harry Potter fanfiction.
This is a pretty good comparison, to be honest. There were certainly parts of Methods of Rationality that sounded like the John Galt speech.
>>
>>50419085
That could be good.

One of her hangers on/victims/vanquished foes when the fighting is over and the dust has settled askes her what the fuck she sees when she opens her eyes in the morning.

The whole victory celebration section of the story is a horror show. Distorted perspectives, exaggerated features, ghosts of old memories both hauntingly happy but lost and horrifying and still out there haunt every shadow and everything in the background is subtly wrong.

Too many fingers on that man. That woman appears to have three arms. That person is too tall and bent over. And other such aberrations that vanish when you look too closely at them. She lives in the uncanny valley on good days and bad day are full 24/7 Even Horizon.

And nobody knows.

And after the festivities it flashes back to the person who asks she just says that everything looks normal to her.
>>
>>50419217

Seems unnecessarily grimdark.
>>
>>50419449
Maybe. But she is not inherently unhappy or at least not more so than the people around her most of the time so it's probably not Grimdark so much as Neutraldark.
>>
>>50418987
>>50419028
>>50419085
>>50419217
I want this show.
>>
>>50419790
Oh, just as a footnote, you could flashback to her seventh year, when she was fighting in a guerrilla war with Ginny and Neville.
>>
>>50408658
>Degrees
>Asks if using Kelvin
Nice try
>>
>>50418751
>Can we stop saying this shit?
No, it's badly written. Mostly it falls down in characterisation, all of the characters have the same voice except for the protag and antag. As I said the world building is interesting and there IS definitely some stuff to like

>the seeker only exists in quidditch to give the protag a way of being important without having to write about him actually learning the game
>DADA curriculum that doesn't focus on wizards is a waste of time since barely anything else can fuck with an adult wizard
>Magical Britain's financial system is fucked
>No the magical system really doesn't make any sense
>locking people on an island with dementors is a fucking horrifying thing to do and no one should be OK with it
>Wizarding education is hilariously deficient in basic skills
>the stuff about needing a willingness to kill is good, it explains why teaching most of them how to defend themselves is basically a waste of time

but it is a bad story. It's similar to Wizards first Rule in that way; the world is potentially interesting but is drowned out by terrible mouthpiece characters. The one bit of characterisation credit I'll give them is that by the end of the book Harry basically admits he was wrong about a lot of his assumptions. The pacing is terrible too, the entire thing as far as I can tell happens in his first year when it should have been a 7 year story, if for no other purpose than he shouldn't have had enough time to learn all the stuff he knows.

>Is it written like most trashy fanfiction one would call terribly written? No, fuck off.
>fuck off with your ideologically motivated bait

Yikes Yudders, I know you spent time on it but there's nothing ideological about knowing bad pacing and characterisation. I like rational methodology and formal logic as much as the next man but that does not mean I have to find his story good, the same way as people that agree with Goodkind don't have to think his books are awesome.
>>
When you think about it, HPMOR is the same as canon: fun and stupid. It's just approaching it from a different angle and is different (and more controversial) flavor of fun.

Man, I've forgotten so much since I read the books, I wonder if I should reread should I ever get in a HP TTRPG game.
>>
>>50406452
I'd use Ghosts of Albion. It worked well enough for my Dark HP game. Buffy/Unisystem rules. Simple but flexible spell creation. It is a solid game.
>>
>>50418903
No, the Neville shit was movie only. It never happened in the books and in her post-canon writings that emerged not long after book 7 she said Neville ended up woth Hannah Abboy while Luna ended up with Scamander's grandson and found a shit ton of new magical species. No crumple horned snorkeks though.
>>
>>50406452
>>50406776
I'd just put a timer on quidditch games and turn the seeker position into a seeker/chaser hybrid. Got this fix from youtube but It's my favorite one so far.

As far as making a magic system for it. My advice is to just not. There's a shit ton of published spells so just do it like dnd and have a list of them arranged by year and subject. Far less work than trying to shoehorn in Harry Potter's brand of magic into another system or creating one from scratch.
>>
>>50420515
In the same way that carbon dioxyde and carbon monoxyde are composed of the same elements, the balance of fun and stupid is completely different in the books and in MoR.
Not to mention that the books are a lot less pretentious about it.
I join the anon above you in considering that it got a lot of interesting setting elements, but most interactions have the sublety and the quality of a modern political cartoon.
>>
>>50420638
Then this was something the movie did better.

Nobody gives a shit about an NPC student and the grandson of a literary who.
>>
>>50420666
>Got this fix from youtube

Got a linky to it?
>>
>>50420723
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuxyMGHyM4E

The relevant stuff starts at 1:13
>>
>>50420810
Thanks m8.
>>
>>50407475
Actually in GoF they mention a match that went on for a week and how they brought in reserve players so the main ones could get some sleep.
>>
File: 1418808153846.jpg (89KB, 724x767px) Image search: [Google]
1418808153846.jpg
89KB, 724x767px
>>50406452
i'd love to have a Luna petting simulator.
or just to go on adventures with her.
>>
>>50421118
God damn how did she become a slag? Was she in an accident? Her face doesn't even remember this cute girl anymore
>>
File: lunaadvice_LargeWide.jpg (31KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
lunaadvice_LargeWide.jpg
31KB, 701x394px
>>50421269
just remember the qt times.
>>
>>50421459
She was too cute. I'd have befriended her just for a chance to dick that.
>>
>>50406726
>ww2 game
>MI5 : Magical division vs the abullah society of the nazis
>trekking through the Himalayas to stop them from finding shambalah
>driving across Arabia in a race for the hoyl grail
>>
>>50415633
please do
>>
>>50408458
>>50408476
>>50408489
Saved. What's this from?
>>
>>50410920
>Avila
>not Aranaz
It's like you don't want to be exceptional.
>>
>>50415633
Me.
>>
>>50410645
>Anything from Rand
>not utter shit tier
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 324x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 324x325px
>>50410752
>>50410765
>>50410999
>>50419039
>>50426054
>>
>>50415633
run a game and set up a roll20/discord/skype
>>
>>50406452
Base it on the Dresden files and you're pretty much set.
>>
>>50426592
A discord would be good, we might even make multiple groups that way.
>>
>>50426641
someone get the gm to get it sorted
oh man
ravenclaw5lyfe
i wanna play an irish nerd
>cos im an irish nerd irl
>>
>>50406653
I was hoping this would rhyme
>>
>>50407238
But the Levi-oh-Saaaahhhhhhh part in the movies shows that you have to use the correct accent and twirl the damn wand just right or nothing happens at all.

So it's more like some kind of old theater where everything must be performed at the right pace, right movements, and in the right position.

And more difficult things are handled through magical things designed to do that trick like time turners or cloaks of invisibility.
>>
File: Eldritch High.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Eldritch High.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Anybody try this shit? I'm curious about running a psychonauts inspired psychic academy thing reskinning magic with mind powers.
>>
>>50408512

>she went from cute girl to British slag

Brit here, almost every girl does that.

We have a weird idea of what's attractive.
>>
>>50410645

>How to read a film
>Doesn't even have a wiki page

wow what a good book
>>
>>50427023

>Dat font

I know it's just a hogwarts rip off but come on.
>>
>>50418706
what the fuck are you even talking about you idiot
>>
>>50426641
anyone wanna start this?
>>
>>50406452
If you're going to make it a general, it needs systems.

A prebuilt harry-potter package to play it in GURPS, at the very least.

If there's no game for it, it has no business being a recurring general on /tg/.
>>
>>50429060
1d4chan has a system
Made by tg, pretty light and I've heard good things, at just need a gm
>>
>>50429282
>>50429060
*we just need a gm
>>
>>50406452
If you can read in portuguese, there's a PDF at Daemon Editora's homepage that has stats for some HP magical creatures and lists some spells.
Given how the magic system works (mostly free form, similar to Ars Magicka), it should be able to represent HP magic without much of a strain. Players would need to colaborate however (acting as HP wizards, not using time magic, etc).
The main problems are twofold. First, PC Wizards are rather limited (they need to focus in one or two elements, and most often in one of the verbs. Otherwie they spread to tin and become useless. HP wizards are too versatile).
You would need to throw exp like candy or increase how much magical bang they get at every level massively to fix that.

Second problem is that the system is higly lethal, the first player to be hit by a Bludger probably dies. Really.

The system is pretty good, through.
>>
Set up a dischord for gamefinding. Never done it before so tell me if anything is weird. https://discord.gg/9ceAnjq
>>
>>50415633
Assuming that the timezones match up, i'd play the fuck out of a hp rpg
>>
>>50429060
Harry Potter has an official card game.

Harry Potter will soon have an official miniatures game.

Harry Potter currently has multiple unofficial tabletop RPGs, including "Harry Potter and the Tabletop RPG" on 1d4chan, and at least one package for GURPS out there.

If you don't like a thread, you can filter it out, or just don't click it.
>>
>>50418751
14 year old that just figured out what a "plot hole" time turners are detected

HPMOR is complete shit, it essentially assumes everyone except the very few main characters are braindead retards by stretching the in universe logic beyond its breaking point.

E.g. why can't you magic up food? You just can't, it's fucking magic, that's how it works, you can't "think your way around this" by being a smartarse, this is a rule of the universe in a system where magic seems quite conceptual as opposed to physical.

Beyond the fact that the core premise was invented by an edgy teenager trying to elevate himself over his peers there are serious flaws in the actual writing as well.

There's basically nothing redeemable in it outside of a few ideas taken solely in a vacuum.
>>
>>50431403
Why you can't just magic up food is probably one of those magical laws (That's law as in a law of the universe, not a law that gets you arrested for breaking) that gets mentioned but not explained, because it's just not important to the plot.
The Weasleys are basically sustenance farmers and use all sorts of magic to maintain the garden that they eat from. If Molly could just magic up food, she would. She's a very competent witch.
>>
>>50429312
Look at he bright side, it means everyone has an opportunity to become a quidditch plater at some point, by virtue of half the team dying every match.

>>50431403
Hpmor said something about food? I don't remember.
>>
>>50431346
>at least one package for GURPS out there.

You can find one here:
http://www.sabledrake.com/2002/0205_harry_potter1.shtml
>>
>>50431564
You can multiply food but you cannot create it ex nihilo. I do not know how Rowling thinks there is a difference in that, but she does.
>>
>>50433762
Multiplied food would presumably go bad eventually, but yeah, that was always stupid.
>>
>>50433762

Clearly you need something to copy.

Think of it like the difference between printing a copy of a painting and painting a whole new picture from scratch. Totally different operations, even if the end result is a picture either way.
>>
>>50433762
So you can't create food from nothing but you can create food from nothing provided you have an original thing to copy.

If you can copy a copy then a single wizard could end world hunger in a few hours via exponential sandwich growth.

Even if that magic is somehow difficult you could still solve so much of the worlds problems by the apparently simple practice of create water.

Just one wizard spamming that spell in the Sahara could be the source of huge swaths of suddenly usable arable land.
>>
I think you theoretically could magic up food, but it'd be really damn complicated to develop a spell to do it. What's the most complicated thing we ever see someone conjure up from nothing? The snake in the second book? Considering how lazy wizards are and how dangerous developing a new spell is, it's not that unlikely that no wizard ever spent years of research to develop a spell that can magic up a sandwich and ONLY a that. The snake spell was probably developed Slytherin himself, because investing the time and resources to develop a pretty edgy and intimidating, yet useless spell seems like a dark wizard thing to do.
>>
>>50429060
>le serious board policeman
>>
>>50433856
We don't know how magic works on a big scale in HP.
Take a look at Dark Sun to see what overuse of magic could do to a planet.
>>
>>50434425
>le morons breaking board rules

But what to expect from people furiously wanking over series that can be best summed up in "Being irresponsible is great and should be your goal, the special snowflake you"
>>
>>50434528
How new are you? Wanking about shit is the most /tg/ thing.
>>
>>50434560
Funny, because that's "always true" only for threads by default violating rules.
>>
>>50429060
>serious
OP here.

So far we have this:

Discord group: https://discord.gg/9ceAnjq

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Tabletop_RPG
A /tg/ made hp game. Rules light and build from the ground up to support the tropes and conventions of Harry Potter.

http://www.sabledrake.com/2002/0205_harry_potter1.shtml
A rather complete GURPS pack for Harry Potter

----
Not a very impressive I guess, but something.
Would you recommend any thing else to be put on the opening post of a eventual 4th /hptg/ thread?
>>
>>50434659
Not him, but I would (yet again) recommend growing the fuck up and accquiring some fucking taste.
>>
>not reporting and ignoring threads that break rules
>>
>>50434686

Maybe you should "grow the fuck up"?
Only I child actually cares about appearing to be totally fucking serious and mature.
>>
>>50434686
In my personal experience whenever someone say "grow the fuck up" it usually means "be miserable like me".

C.S. Lewis — 'When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.'
>>
>>50434776
Yes, let's live in eternal childhood, parents will take the whole responsibility. That's totally gonna work!
Anonymous HP fanboy, 25 years old and counting
>>
>>50434710
There is a better way:
Report and derail.

If mods won't move becuase of the original report, they WILL come in due to the derailment. And if that fails too, the thread is FUBAR anyway
>>
How do you make parrying and counter-spelling worth it in HP? It seems that someone putting all his points on dodge-like abilities would be able to avoid almost everything.
>>
>>50435067

Yeah, let's post on 4chan about games
Anonymous /tg/ poster, 33 years, virgin and pround owner of a fedora
>>
>>50435086
>Projecting this hard
You are not even trying

Tell us all, dear anon. How does it feel being triggered by people pointing out you are still obsessed with badly written series for kids between 8 to 13, while being 25?
Or just obsessing yourself with eternal childhood, because the real world is such a scary and nasty place full of those pesky responsibilties. Deadful, dreaful!
>>
>>50435114
At this moment I am perfectly euphoric
>>
File: 1275389857.gif (2MB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1275389857.gif
2MB, 350x233px
>>50435086
>Board about traditional games
>Surprised people are posting about games on it
>>
>>50435076
AoE spells? Idk if the books had those.
Also some high level spells, like those used by Voldy and Dumbledore, seemed to be dodge-proof.

>>50435075
I hope you see the flaw in derailing threads in order to preserve board quality.
All in all, I just find it sad that you can't ignore things you don't like and enjoy seeing people having fun, and spend time in a thread you hate. Try not to get an ulcer too early anon.
>>
>two neckbeards argue on a cambodian scatporn board which one of them is a bigger manchild, the one who is triggered by people liking things that he doesn't like or the one who is triggered by people not liking things that he likes
>>
>>50435151
>and then someone makes an art movie out of the whole situation
>>
>>50435151
It's called "derailment in progress"
So far, the thread made 30 posts about no subject at all, while dangerously closing to bump limit.

By the way, thanks for helping the cause by giving yet another empty post going nowhere.
>>
>>50435186
You're aware that the childs will just make another thread, aren't you?
>>
>>50435137
I never said my goal is preservation of board quality.
My goal is pretty simple - getting rid of threads I don't like, because I don't like them. And since I'm sick and tired of how annoying Pottershit is and how both the writer and fandom can't grasp such simple thing like fading away, it's all fine game for me.

Especially since this thread has literally nothing to do with traditional games or games at all - it's just fanfiction discussion.
Third in a row.
>>
>>50435214
Uhm, you know people made a discord group for playing, and there were recommendations of systems to play and stuff.

How is that not /tg/ related?
>>
>>50435191
Of course I am.

And the whole circle will start yet again. It's just extremely easy to bait Potterfags. Just call their books childish and the shitstorm drives itself for next 30-40 posts. Moderate once in few to see if the thread is properly burning and rather than few days, the thread barely lasts few hours, filled with passive-aggressive bullshit.

Rinse, repeat, until they no longer feel welcomed.

In fact, it's easy to trigger all types and sorts of fandoms, but Potterfags really are the easiest to make.
>>
>>50435238
Becuase that consists of less than 10% of posts?

It's a third thread in a row where specific fanfics are discussed. And not for their world-building potential, but rather why they have retarded interior policy and writer on board with his/her agenda.

Basically - /lit/.

And yet it's on /tg/
>>
>>50435249
You must be either very bitter or very idle.

Good luck mate.

You're fighting the good figth
>>
>>50435266
Only god knows why people keep on bringing MoR up.

Also you seem to be under the impression that people at /lit/ actually read books. It's ok, everyone makes mistakes.
>>
>>50435186
Truly my ruse has been scintillatingly successful

I am, by all accounts, Number One

Now, when I say Throw, you Go!
>>
>>50435279
I'm just doing graveyard shifts lately.

>>50435294
What gives you that impression?

My point is about how /lit/ is all about shit-lifting and over-analysing meaningless stuff.
>>
>>50435266
Seems about as /tg/ related as WCG (literally /vg/ spilling over) and half-a-dozen CYOA circlejerks (should be on /qst/) that also infest the board.
>>
>>50435295
Not to brag, but it's almost bump limit and no content was created for last 90 minutes, while the limit advanced in rapid pace.
In fact, your sarcasm only brings it closer

Welcome to the internet.
>>
>>50435334
>B-but others are doing this shit too!
And that excuses you how, you fucking manchild? Go, report and derail their threads instead of crying
>>
>>50435365
/SWG/ & /STG/ are just /tv/ shitting up the board.
Drawthreads and WIP should fuck off to /ic/
/Nip RPGG/ is /jp/ related
/bgg/ should be on /toy/
Gamefinder is /soc/ thread
>>
>a powerful dark wizard may or may not have returned from death
>what should we do?
>ignore the situation and hope for the best and thus possibly giving him a chance to muster up his strength
>launch an investigation and either confirm that he is still dead or possibly caught him while he is still recovering if he is alive
>>
>>50435735

It wouldn't make for a very good story if the authorities just sort of cleaned up the problem on their own.

"In this box is the remaining essence of Voldemort. Please do not break glass. Please do not point at it and laugh. Please do not write 'only stupid assholes get in this box' on the side of the box."
>>
>>50435443
Are we banning D&D and WH40K threads where people talk about lore next? Or any threads where there's not enough talk about game mechanics?
>>
>>50435214
This is the sort of person that /qst/ empowered.
>>
>>50436356
My problem with removing quests is different. See, because there are no more quests around, threads like this can thrive, because normally they would end up buried down by questfags, leaving only the best and strongest threads alive.

Natural selection was removed from /tg/
>>
>>50436396
> Natural selection was removed from /tg/

RULES OF NATURE
>>
>>50435214
Don't worry, we'll just remake it when it falls off the board for a fourth time.
>>
>>50420512
>locking people on an island with dementors is a fucking horrifying thing to do and no one should be OK with it
This argument bugs the hell out of me, because it gets Azkaban completely backwards. Azkaban wasn't invented as an answer to the question of "how do we deal with these prisoners," it was invented as an answer to the question of "what do we do with these indestructible soul-eating monsters?" Dementors cannot be killed, they go hunting when they're hungry, and they have absolutely no loyalty besides "will this person feed me?" Offering them criminals may be awful, but in a setting that doesn't have a Giant Golden Death Killing Naked Man, it's as good as you can get.
>>
>>50436930
Which part of the "the cycle will go on" you didn't get the first time?
>>
>>50437031

The muggle solution to the dementor problem would be, of course, to fire them into the sun.

Lure them onto a rocket with some poor bastards either willing to 'volunteered' to make the sacrifice, fire them into space.

It won't kill them, but they can be someone else's problem now.
>>
>>50436396
Moot introducing Captcha was the final nail to /tg/'s coffin desu.
>>
>>50437107
Tried that. They came back on fire.
>>
>>50437031
Shit can be contained.

Yes eternity imprisoned is a shit deal for the dementors but who cares. No evidence that they are sapient so at worst it's animal cruelty.

But then again the sensible thing to do with Vildermort first time round would have been beam in, club on back of head, beam out with unconscious body keep Dark Lord in coma for rest of eternity. Or locked in a magic dampened closet, which ever is cheaper.
>>
>>50437142

So what I'm hearing is that they can be set on fire.
>>
>>50437176
You're assuming they can be contained somehow, rather than just bribed with food.

Then again, you also seem to be under the impression that Voldemort was killed intentionally first time around instead of accidentally blowing himself to bits after evading any attempt to capture him for the entire war.

>>50437229
Yeah, but they like it.
>>
>>50437285

Since dementors are driven away by happy-thought based magic, shouldn't you be able to create a sort of cage that walls them off with the same sort of energy that makes up a patronus?

You might need to constantly have wizards thinking happy thoughts at it in order to recharge it, but its probably better than letting them roam free.
>>
>>50437285
There is a spell that drives them back and they seem not to be able to go through solid matter. Here them into a cave and take it in shifts at the entrance.

Also I'm assuming wizards are at least slightly retarded based on their actions in the book.

Did anyone try drugging the Dark Lord? What about taking husband whilst he slept and whaling on him with a two by for? He might not die but it's hard to cast a spell with broken jaw and fingers.
>>
>>50437367
Husband

His wand

Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>50437366
>>50437367
Generally I assume that if a course of action seems extremely sensible without meta knowledge and would have solved a serious problem that exists in the series, it was tried at some point and didn't work, or there's a reason they don't try it.

For Voldemort, I assume that he was generally better at keeping people from capturing him than they were at capturing him. Otherwise he'd have just been fed to a Dementor or something. For creating a happy energy cage or other anti-Dementor methods, it probably relates to the fact that Patronuses are extremely difficult magic, or something about how enchantment works.
>>
>>50437724
>Patronuses are extremely difficult magic

Mastered by a bunch of teenagers doing afternoon classes taught by another not that bright teenager.
>>
>>50438585
I think we can all agree that Hogwarts is awful as a place of learning.
>>
>>50438973
The wizarding world as a whole is awful in a variety of ways (compared to the muggle one, that's saying something).

Many of its shortcomings stem from the series originally being written for enemies.
>>
>>50407957
>>50408004

Maybe JKR isn't a consistent writer?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.