[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy Races in Sci-Fi Settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Space Harpy.jpg (416KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
Space Harpy.jpg
416KB, 636x900px
Hey /tg/, what fantasy races do you suppose would be best suited for transplantation into a Sci-Fi setting? Harpies or other avian species would seem to make sense, given the utility of using wings for movement in zero-g environments. What other races would work well IN SPACE?
>>
Space Elves have been a staple since forever.
>>
>>50404106
>Harpies or other avian species would seem to make sense, given the utility of using wings for movement in zero-g environments
Nigga WHAT? You mean ZERO utility? How does that make them better suited for zero-G?
>>
>>50404292
They can move around and manoeuvre without having to grab hold of something. A human on the other hand will be slaved quite thoroughly to Newton's second if it doesn't have contact with something, or has a thruster pack strapped on.

Not much of a problem with the tiny, cramped space station we have today, but hey, SciFi.
>>
>>50404106
>given the utility of using wings for movement in zero-g environments
are you retarded?
>>
>>50404292
>>50404390
Wings would have to be fucking massive to lift a humanoid in 1G, and the sternum would stick out around 4 feet to anchor the necessary muscles. Put something like the OP pic in a very low to zero G environment though, and they could actually fly.
>>
>>50404371
>They can move around and manoeuvre without having to grab hold of something

Sorry, but this is wrong; Harpies are maneuverable because their huge-ass wings (quite different from huge ass wings) can move the air particles in all those funky ways that make flight feasible.

In Zero-G your maneuverability isn't determined by moving air particles since air doesn't exist beyond an insultingly thin mist of very, very lonely hydrogen molecules. Out in the Void, maneuverability is done through gas jets and manipulation of your mass (fancy way of saying, "flail your arms in the direction you want to go.")
>>
>>50404390
>>50404292
The way I was thinking was that in zero-g environments, terrestrial creatures can push themselves off walls and travel in straight lines well enough, but wouldn't be able to change direction mid-flight or have much maneuverability while creature with wings might be able to.
>>
>>50404444
Please tell me you're at least assuming a pressurized environment here.
>>
>>50404462
He is clearly talking about spaceship interiors. People are confusing zero-g with zero atmosphere. I think OP means zero-g within a 1 atm pressure system.
>>
>>50404443
I even managed space stations, and you still didn't manage to make the connection that zero G doesn't have to mean we're also looking at zero atmosphere? Just because extremely convenient artificial gravity is all over SciFi it doesn't mean we have to include that in all spacecraft in every setting.
>>
>>50404443
Zero-G means that gravity force is zero or near zero not that there is no atmosphere. That is called vacuum.

Don't make me use my liquid vacuum on you.
>>
>>50404444
In most settings interiors of spacecraft and stations don't have nearly as much space to make the large wings of humanoids like harpies even remotely useful. They would constantly be in the way and would just be a hindrance, and building a craft with the space considerations to allow them to make use of their huge wingspans would just be a logistical waste.
>>
>>50404106
Going to be DMing something like this in about 7 hours.

>Humanoids.
Not a big deal, toss 'em in, the little differences between elves and dwarfs and orcs and humans in the starscape of Illithids, treants and interstellar dragons are pretty insignificant except in specific situations or cultural interactions.

>Illithids.
Brain-eating psychic aliens. Easy shit, throw 'em out there. Ships can range from stealthy cloaked crafts, crystaline psychic warp craft, or even biological ships depending on how you want them to work.

>Plant people.
You can see how they'd be advantageous in a ship situation; food's easier to come by, solar rays are easily done in sci-fi, and you can have a few pets and air-filters providing carbon-dioxide if your ship's natural processes didn't already produce it. Double up on the plant motif with leafy solar sails.

Akin to that, I've got a race of myconid mushroom folks that live out on the asteroid belt, launching between rocks with specialized senses and calculation developments. They scavenge for technology and electronics to absorb into themselves and in doing so iprove their own intellects. This first started off by coincidence with the fungus surviving on dim rays from the local star coincidentally forming around a broken computer satellite but expanded from there over centuries.

Bug people, see Starship Troopers, The Zerg and Tyranids for the basic concept, but recognize that they're not the only way to go. Intelligent, Insectoid hive people can also cultivate individual entities of their species into exactly that; individuals rather than just drones as their technological and scientific understanding of the universe expands and requires more thought-capacity in the queen's servitors.

Cold-blooded lizardfolk would probably be alright in the void the same way humanoids would; with Lots and Lots of technological aid. Heat lamps abound.
>>
I did a fantasy Sci-Fi setting once and one of the races that I decided would flourish in space were actually Kobolds.

Think about it:
Natural engineers
Easily squeeze through tight spaces
Thrive in and prefer living in tight, dark spaces
Minimal life support requirements
Natural miners

They're fucking natural spacers.
>>
>>50404106
http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Master_of_Orion_Universe
>>
>>50404585
Continuing on cold-bloods; smaller tribes of lizardfolks contribute engineers, technicians, and pilots for smaller crafts that need to minimize space or optimize for engines and so forth.

>Rakshasa
Enjoy your magical catfolk and messing with your players who try to steal their stuff; -20 penalty for trying to use controls designed for hands backwards compared to yours'.

>Beholders.
Spelljammer had a bitchin' idea of a ship that got about a dozen eye tyrants all on one ship, held in singular compartments that channeled their eye-rays collectively at enemy ships. Dominated/Charmed mind-slaves carry resources from the core of the ship to their occular masters but die off due to their negligence, necessitating piracy.

Aquatic races like Merfolk, Anguillians, or Sahuagin space-farers have issues with water the same way we would with air, but aqueous atmosphere is a bit difficult in its own right in that it's going to require more inertia to move around. This makes their ships more prone to having an outer shell with air-based atmosphere where the occupants use aquatic breathing apparatus of some sort, while living quarters are in the inner sections of the ship and are flooded. You'll also see that when fleeing from an enemy, they will try to get them to chase them in a straight line, then vent the water at relativistic speeds like a mine-field.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.