[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting games to go faster

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: SlowBan.png (168KB, 733x543px) Image search: [Google]
SlowBan.png
168KB, 733x543px
How do you have games that don't take fucking forever for each milestone, anons?
Like, individual sessions of mine that I used to host could be like 6-7 hours long and we got basically nothing done in that time period.
Almost nobody drank in my old group (I think, I was a bit when it got later, and we were playing online since I moved) and people are focused on the game at the start of each game, after we all get settled. Even when I wasn't gming, and just joined other games in my FLGS and even just watching other games (in multiple states), they drag on fucking forever and players and GMs get visibly frustrated at how long everything takes.
The worst of anything IMO is of course: combat. I've had maybe one campaign where combat didn't take ages, and everyone was slightly drunk, and it was just a for fun couple of sessions with no real train of thought for the character creation or campaign besides "hey, let's play absurdly evil characters for once, like, astonishingly bad dudes"
Do you guys have any suggestions to avoiding this? Cheatsheets work for me for like 1-2 sessions, but I obsess over stuff more than anyone I've actually ever played with and end up knowing the rules by heart by just reading them/thinking them over like 2-3 sessions into any campaign, writing down stuff I have trouble with.
I'm basically never the "slow" guy, only ever beat for speed when I'm trying to ask the group questions or am Gming and have to do NPCs and just can't get their responses to be up to par, but it still feels like I'm contributing at least a little.
Do you guys have like something that would work as a suggestion or a link or /something/ that would help the people I play with not have every session be slow as fuck?
>>
>>50403211
Take the lead.
Make shit happen.
It'a what I have to do to get more than one IC conversation done within the two anda half hour session.
So just do shit.
If you're not the GM, talk to him, tell him it's bugging you, and take the lead.
>>
>>50403211
First off, skip anything that doesn't have an overall effect on the narrative.

A movie never goes into details as far as the protagonists crossing 100's of km to their next destination unless something important is about to happen. You should take this same approach with GMing, only giving players a choice when their choice has a direct impact on the story.

Secondly, focus on rolling the least amount of dice possible to resolve an action. Rolling a die takes less than 2 seconds to resolve, so if you're rolling multiple dice, the time it'll take to resolve an action increases by .05 seconds for every five dice being rolled, even longer if you're adding the result of multiple dice together for damage rolls or something.

Finally, and this is the most important bit, make sure that people are actually paying attention to game. It takes longer when you have to explain the same thing multiple times, so if they can't pay attention, tell them to put away the devices or GTFO.
>>
>>50403211
Use your inciting incident to move the narrative forward and push for a big decision to be made just before the end of the session.

Some new assholes bursting onto the scene takes like no goddamn time. Especially if their objective has them swooping in to (do some shit) and then vanishing, rather than fighting to the death.

Putting a big decision (like the bad guys trying to force trade a hostage for the important artifact) right before the end of the session means players can move the story in big ways but you don't have to prep all outcomes. Just the one they chose at the end of the session.

Build your encounters with fewer hp and higher damage/conditional bonus damage. Let NPCs deny PCs actions or the reverse. Give one side an obviously overwhelming numbers advantage frequently. Let the party run away and/or rout their enemies a little more easily. Once or twice have retreating enemies fall back to reinforcements or a fortified position so players don't pursue unnecessarily when it's time to wrap the fight up. This has worked well for me, even in slow systems with lots of newish players.

Let people discuss their options, but occasionally push the "okay, what do you do?" A little prodding is okay if players fall to overthinking.
>>
>>50403529
I suspect it's not hoarding the preceious seconds that's the problem, but the exact opposite.

Force decisions out of ditherers by questioning the most likely acter after a couple of minutes of discussion, and start laying out the options (as you understand them) after two or three circuits round the table during longer discussions.

What >>50403681 says about forcibly starting and then truncating conflict scenes is also a great idea.
One or two NPCs to 'lead' the party ("There're dozens of them, we can't win, I'm out!") can work for the inverse, if you want an easy show of strength by the bad guys but not a ten-hour combat.
Closing out the session on the hardest decision will also mean that you'll start next time with a few of them with plans formulated as well.
>>
File: UltraSlow.jpg (10KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
UltraSlow.jpg
10KB, 228x221px
>>50403529
>>50403681
>>50403958
Thanks for the help, anons.
I need to try harder on the lack of detail for journeys, more of an inbetween from "party takes 10 minutes to walk down a hallway because "there might be stuff"" and "party walks 20 miles without anyone talking about it and they're just basically there" is my current situation for most parties. And then there's one GM who did the former for every. single. movement. do you know how annoying it is to do a journey in the underdark where we have to each individually move models across the board to progress, and then have him wonder why we're slow but also absurdly overleveled? ugh.
Npcs being used as a show of strength is honestly something I've never done, despite it happening all the bloody time in video games/tv. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, and I can do it more easily with what I'll be playing next instead of the RDS bullshit most of the people I've played with insisting on starting at.
>>
>>50403211
What do you consider a milestone? If you're expecting each session to end on some big fight or narrative dramatic bombshell then you either need to play hyper fast paced games or nix those expectation. Games don't follow TV or movie pacing because they're not either. Beyond that just make sure your players know what they're doing and are decisive.

I find that most of the stalling in games comes from players going "Hmmmm.....should I cast......no....well.......maybe if I.....hmmmm......". Set a timer for those flakey fucks, it's the only way to force them to make a choice and stick with it. 99% of the time the first idea is the best one they're ever going to come up with anyway. Also try to stop the players from spending an hour arguing over everything. If there's no natural leader emmerging within your group then it might work to ask them to choose one.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.