[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tactical Tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: tacticaltabletop.jpg (45KB, 477x358px) Image search: [Google]
tacticaltabletop.jpg
45KB, 477x358px
I've been working on something in my free time that I want to see if anyone would be interested in.

An asymmetrical tabletop combat game focused around a group of players (the Heroes) against another player (the Monsters) with an emphasis on combat and optimization of either team composition (if I go with premade characters) or character builds (if I go with a "class" system).

The interesting part, in my eyes, would be that the heroes would either pick their team build/characters first, then the monster player selects his enemies as well as the battlefield, its conditions, and any obstacles, to a point system, which the hero players then use to fund their equipment/short-term benefits.

Characters would be represented with tokens, since I'm too poor to pay for miniatures to be made on my behalf, and would use distance measurement (inches) as opposed to squares or grids. Templates, such as explosions, cones, etc, would also be featured.

Does this sound interesting? Has something done something similar to this that I'm unaware of? Basically I'm trying to make a small-scale tabletop mini game focused on asymmetry.
>>
post the rules first or give a taste of the gameplay
>>
>>50399761
Gladly.

Heroes are Inquisitors and are charged with hunting down monsters that prey on humanity. An Inquisitor fits into a Path, which represents their training and affinities, and one or more Roles which determine their universal abilities as well as the contents of their Battle Fervor deck. These roles, such as Ambusher, Tactician, and Zealot give them certain strengths and weaknesses to certain categories of monster roles. They also play off other Roles in a party. For example, the typical Tactician can create a battle plan at the start of the game, a pool of d6's that exist outside of character's dice pools which he can assign during combat, even during an opponent's turn, to help someone in a tight spot. However, this pool shrinks by 1d6 per round as the combat becomes less and less predictable.

A player's deck is a set of cards comprised of their Role cards, their Hero cards (unique to the character), as well as cards that are added from the purchase of equipment before the battle and added to their decks by the opposing player during the course of battle. A player draws three of these cards at the start of each of their hero units activation and can use his Endurance resource (his dice pool) or the team-wide resource called Favor. Any unused cards are discarded at the end of the turn, unless a character has a keyword that lets them keep one.

Heroes and elite monsters have an Endurance pool, an amount of dice they can use each round to split between offense and defense, obviously with caps. Generic monsters have a static offensive dice number and a defense number to represent a lower skill in combat. Dice pools are comprised of d6's.

In a round of combat the unit with the highest reflexes on their side acts first, then the highest reflex opponent acts, and this goes back and forth until all units have moved and acted.

That's a quick top-level overview.
>>
Did... did you steal my idea?

I posted a Very similar idea called Crypt Raiders a while back. I never went anywhere with it, but the idea was basically this, except the initial focus was on Tucker's Kobolds.

Not that I'm complaining. I never would've gone anywhere with it. Too busy.
>>
>>50400142
Not that I'm aware of, I've been working on this off and on for a few years since I was stuck in my dead-end deskjockey job. But, you know, no such thing as a new idea. Is your post in the archive?

I take it, however, that you're not inherently opposed to the idea.
>>
>>50400142
>>50400211
Also, to further my point this was based on more of a Gothic Horror theme, and the monster player can use the classic horror sub-factions (vampires, werewolves, cultists, mad scientists, etc etc)

Found the thread though, and I can see the similarities.
>>
>>50399583
Sounds kinda like literally any rpg system
>>
>>50399583
So kinda like Descent, but more about battles/tactics than dungeon crawling, right?
>>
File: Knights_0.png (752KB, 1900x3821px) Image search: [Google]
Knights_0.png
752KB, 1900x3821px
Looks interesting
got any pdfs or other of rules?
also how big a roster?
Something small or pic related?
>>
>>50403116
Oh yeah, I forgot about Descent, that's a good parallel. Yeah, that's a great way of looking at it.

>>50403241
I'll make something like that now to help show the roster I've got. No PDF's yet, just a bunch of doc files with my notes. I'll include the monster factions and their top-level baddies as well.
>>
>>50403241
Bird Knight is adorable.
>>
File: GothicTactical.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
GothicTactical.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50403241
>>50404280

Here we go, a few of the Inquisitors, I've got 9 more, but they're less organized.

Monsters are next.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.