[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the upsides and downsides of entirely, 100% stealing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: PS4 HELLDIVERS Liberate.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PS4 HELLDIVERS Liberate.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What are the upsides and downsides of entirely, 100% stealing the xcom 1/2 combat system and applying them to tabletop?

What circumstances does the xcom 1/2 combat system not account for? How can these be easily rectified?
>>
File: eva UI 03.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
eva UI 03.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
FFG already does something similar by giving each player a move and an action. Some of the things are solved in confusing ways, eg drawing a weapon is a manoever and not an action, but the system works and is simple to use.

I was thinking about taking the opposite approach and using Eva Borderline mechanics for making an XCOM-like.
I'm still years apart from my goal, but this is what I want to do. Plenty of people just limit their life goals to getting an Asuka. Others just want a steady job doing business applications so they can game during the weekend. Once I become a real programmer, I'm making XCOM with robots.
>>
>>50392125
>What circumstances does the xcom 1/2 combat system not account for?
sure shots
>>
File: Strike!cover.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Strike!cover.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50392125
Well, aside from the d% I think it'd work okay. Strike! is mostly XCOM with a d6, and it works alright (the illustrations are shit though).
>>
>>50392243
You mean like how in xcom theres no way to make a single accurate shot?
>>
>>50392376
D% would be changed to d10, or d6 or d20 for quicker action resolution.
>>
File: 40k RPG.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
40k RPG.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>50392227
>>
>>50392227

Godspeed anon, a worthy goal if I ever saw one.

I would instead suggest that you "borrow" the action system of 5e instead of Eva. I'm not sure how Eva works, but from how you described the FFG thing the DND 5 method might work better.

Basically you get 1 of each of these:

Movement Action (your free 'tactical movement' without dashing)
Standard action (major actions)
Bonus action (abilities/equipment activatable only, EG Rogue can dash for 'free' using his bonus action.)
Free action (quick little lame hand things)
Reaction: Quick mini action taken if enemy triggers it your you do with an ability. Largely defensive. EG enemy through your reach, you can try to trip or stab him once.

Generally speaking you can declare and use these in any order (other than reaction) EG I can declare attack standard action, then attack once, move, attack again (assumning I have that many attacks).
>>
>>50392580
Strike! also does this. And already has the XCOM cover system (>>50392376).

It was basically made for this shit.

Technically that system is too free, since the XCOM games don't let you break your movement up like that.
>>
>>50392637
>Strike! does everything better anon! Trust me!
>>
>>50392647
Not better, just the same as the games in question.

It also takes 5e's advantage/disadvantage mechanic, which is a debatable choice if you'd really want XCOM like tactics.
>>
https://app.roll20.net/join/1556609/Iz1qSw
Come into my parlor.
>>
File: all reactions at once.jpg (134KB, 580x276px) Image search: [Google]
all reactions at once.jpg
134KB, 580x276px
>>50392580
>I would instead suggest that you "borrow" the action system of 5e instead of Eva.
Suggesting that I use DnD instead of Evangelion?
In a game about building and fighting robots?

I do not have a reaction that's insulting enough. I am legit speechless.
>>
>>50395171
I'm more disgusted by your inability to understand that mechanics (especially ones as generic as that) aren't tied to fluff.
>>
File: dinosaur like.jpg (39KB, 651x651px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaur like.jpg
39KB, 651x651px
>>50395203
What if I wanted slice of life? Or modern air combat? Or cooking? I'd bet my left kidney the answer would still be DnD.
>>
>>50395288
You'd be wrong.

We were discussing combat. It was a fitting mechanical suggestion (that wasn't even made by me) to take that from the system. You got something relevant, that happens to be also popular.

If we were discussing those things instead, and somebody would recommend 5e, I'd probably tell him to explain himself in detail, or just to get fucked.
>>
>>50392125
honestly I can't believe someone hasn't copied the xcom combat system from the new games into a board game and put it up on KS, it seems like a surefire way to make at leas a million
>>
>>50395870
It is weird. The new games two action system is the kind of thing you could port to a simple board game with no trouble. The old games had tricky time unit with all kinds of modifiers that only really work on computer.
>>
>>50396557
I think a few already do. I know the FFG 40kRPGs are the same on a basic level.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.