[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

d20 Legend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I've seen this mentioned twice in the past two games

What makes this game more than just another D&D heartbreaker?

What does it do to make it worthy of consideration?

At a glance it appears to be a slight variation on 3.5, which may or may not be compatible with 3.x adventures/monsters/settings, and seemingly lacks any real such support of its own, while also appearing to be quite dead in terms of active development.

So what is so good about this game?

Shill me.
>>
The mix and match class track system is so damn fun, letting you really customize your character and every single one gives a cool selection of fun abilities to make use of.

It also has some of the best feats in any game, ever, and in general tosses the grim and dull elements of D&D out the window. It gives a DC of 35 for no holds barred flight using Athletics or Acrobatics. No qualifiers, no limitations. And even down to DCs as low as 20/25 they still give you flight for a round or two.

It's wonderful and ridiculous and I wish the project hadn't crashed and burned.
>>
>>50386240
Huh. that does sound like it would have been interesting.

What the hell happened to the project?
>>
>>50386474

The lead developer got hired by another company and had to sign a non-compete clause so he had to stop working on Legend, and the team just sorta fell apart without him to hold everything together.
>>
>>50386491
Ouch.

Have you actually played it?

I notice there doesn't seem to be anything approaching a monster manual. How problematic is that as a GM? How time-consuming is building/converting your own monsters in this game?
>>
>>50386491
>Non Compete.
A quick google search shows he works as a software engineer for a defence company. How in the hell does a tabletop RPG compete with that at all?
>>
bump

I like this game, but I'll never find a group to play it with. Maybe some anons are luckier.
>>
File: Dharma 6.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dharma 6.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Legend is a weird game. It has the same "feel" or "atmosphere" as modern rules-light systems (FATE Core, Dungeon World, etc.), but a deep focus on D&D 3.5-style crunchy combat.

Character creation is genius, but the complexity of the system is just enough to turn people who are happy with D&D.

Enclosed is a short magical-cyberpunk RPG from the creators of Legend
>>
>>50386515
Character creation is actually kind of fun, but it does take quite a while to piece things together.
>>
>>50388873
It doesn't help that Legend has a few (rather pointless) legacy mechanics that really hold it back all things considered. Including Ability scores followed by ability modifiers is annoying.

Refusing to make a monster manual because "you're supposed to run other PCs against them" is really pigheaded of a design idea since really, there's not really anything in the core book that explains that to GMs.
>>
>>50388921
Yeah, the biggest problem with Legend is that it began life as a 3.5 modification and never really grew past that.
>>
>>50388368
I ran a game of this for a Zelda campaign. It was pretty decent, although I ended up getting frustrated because the game's combat is balanced around characters using every part of their action economy and multiple track abilities constantly, which is really hard to keep track of with multiple enemies.
>>
At face value, it's a decent system

At higher levels and with multiple enemies it starts to become a drag because you're tracking 1-2 resources per track with characters that have 3-4 tracks. As a PC it's a bit of a hassle at times. As a GM it's a nightmare.
>>
>>50388921
They didn't refuse to make one.
A Monster Manual was in production when the team feel apart. They released monster-specific Tracks on the forum so the fans could make their own Manual.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.