[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with players who actually refuse to roleplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Anne-Louis_Girodet-Trioson_001.jpg (2MB, 2024x2107px) Image search: [Google]
Anne-Louis_Girodet-Trioson_001.jpg
2MB, 2024x2107px
How do you deal with players who actually refuse to roleplay whatsoever, and who deflect your attempts to induce roleplaying?

The group I have, as player-characters, are fairly diverse. They started out as part of a special team assembled by the Empire to map out a wild area (populated by small, disconnected and warring tribes) just outside the borders. This gave them more or less free reign to get involved as they wished in the local foreign culture and bring out each players personality and how they wanted to roleplay, without creating an overly specific macguffin to chase after since the point of their mission was exploration and cataloguing, and getting invested in the world. They could take macguffins as they pleased from local chieftains - some guy's fighting to prevent prima noctis being enacted on his marriage, some cattle herds were stolen, etc. - but most questlines came from making friends with locals, the players deciding, hey, we like these guys, and deciding to work with them against other tribes. This worked pretty well, and I thought it was really working well when the little bit of lore and cultural differences I had put into each tribe started arguments between the players over which tribe it was ethical to help, which tribe it was profitable to help, and whether or not a compromise could be found between the two.

The climax of this was when one of the players deliberately acted out of line with the party consensus and ended up killing a local, causing some negotiations to go amiss and a small scale tribal war to break out. In anger, the players actually began fighting each other, leading to the death of the player who had killed the local. It was a great bit of roleplaying, and I thought I was doing really well as a DM. The players were clearly invested in the world and in each other's actions.
>>
>>50381166
I don't see how the story connects to the question since it seems like a pretty engaging roleplaying experience, but to answer your question
>How do you deal with players who actually refuse to roleplay whatsoever, and who deflect your attempts to induce roleplaying?

Talk to them first. Ask them questions about their characters, tell them "do you want something to happen to your character? Maybe meet someone from his past, see news from his home?" It's a slow build to make them more engaged and get actively playing a character instead of a stat list and trying to look "awesome". If this fails, then I'm afraid they could not be saved and you'll have to get a replacement that is interested in roleplaying.

btw
>leading to the death of the player who had killed the local
>the player
I hope you called the cops afterwards.
>>
The thing is, after that, there suddenly become a clear demarcation between minmaxers and roleplayers, and the minmaxers kind of ended up winning out as far as dictating what the party did next. They started talking about how they "wanted to finish the campaign" and then took the little mission they had been given - completing the map of the area and cataloguing local flora and fauna - very seriously, returned home and took the money for their work, bought a house and started advocating in the Empire government to conquer the world, which seemed like what they thought "finishing the campaign" went. Even the players who defended indigenous rights, local government just ceded to this party will.

I talked to them about this, and they said that they had actually talked without me and wanted to not give the roleplayers what they wanted, which was interpersonal drama. They just kept repeating "finish the campaign" or "reach max level" as things they wanted to do.

I want to make it clear that the system I'm using really doesn't do "balance" well. It's sort of semi-homebrewed (I'm extraordinarily cheap and I'm just using an old 1st edition Advanced DnD that I made some modifications to) and I operate on rule of cool, and minmaxing kind of ruins it which is why I tried to induce good roleplaying.

I kind of don't know what to do anymore because I haven't written anything for "finishing the campaign" and I don't really want to either. I have no macguffin for them to chase.

tl;dr if I'm a roleplayer DM dealing with minmaxing pcs who are bullying other roleplaying PCs into submission, wat do?
>>
>>50381252
sorry I should have typed this out beforehand

pls read >>50381262
>>
File: 1c4ivt.png (194KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
1c4ivt.png
194KB, 361x361px
>>50381262
>"we must win the game"
>unironicaly

That's legit the worst thing. Never had it happen in my games, but this is just bad. Like, your players are bad.
Explain to them there is no way to "finish" the campaign, that you're running it for the setting to grow and conflict to unfold, not for them to reach an end goal. But just be warned, your chances are slim. Better start getting new players.
>>
>>50381166
Talk with them.
If they don't change, ask them if they are really into playing those games.
Sometimes people just hang around, because their friends play
>>
>>50381262
If you already talked to them and they said no, you need to ask a question to yourself. Are you having fun? Are the roleplaying players having fun? If the answer to that is no, start a new campaign with the guys who actually realize this is not a fucking videogame.
>>
Tell them what you told us, you moron. If they insist on ruined the game and everyones fun, start a new game without them.
>>
File: 1413174968661.png (24KB, 313x193px) Image search: [Google]
1413174968661.png
24KB, 313x193px
>>50381514

This. Plus you're actually in a sweet spot where you're about to finish the campaign.

I've had the awkward experience of having "videogame" RPers join us mid campaign. The DM ended it a few sessions later. He said it was because he was tired of writing something up every week but its too much of a coincidence.

But I only mention my situation that because you shouldn't be afraid of pulling the trigger. "Finish" the campaign.

Also interpersonal situations between players should in no way fucking affect your game. Weed out these kinds of faggots. What kind of table are you running where people are petty like this? You can see it clearly happening. Whenever you start a new campaign, don't invite back the offenders. How you handle it is up to you.
>>
>>50381262
make it so these guys have been offered a place as agents of the empires military .
to them ''finishing the campaign'' would be to bringing the tribal areas into the imperial fold completely the role players might not agree with this maybe you can have this devide be between players become part of the story
>>
>>50381166
>>50381262
Usually i'm fine with minmaxers, but this is some premium cuntery.

Ditch them, and ditch them hard, continue campaign with roleplayers.
>>
>>50381166
>How do you deal with players who actually refuse to roleplay whatsoever, and who deflect your attempts to induce roleplaying?

Stop playing with them or stop worrying about it.
>>
>>50381262
Tell them to fuck off, they had their chance.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.