[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dice mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0221.jpg (6MB, 3070x2314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0221.jpg
6MB, 3070x2314px
What dice systems do you guys like.
>>
Legends of the Wulin. It's weird but wonderful.

It's kinda like Reign in that you roll a pool of d10s looking for sets of dice- That is, multiple dice showing the same numbers.

Each die or set of dice is worth ten per dice in the set, plus the value on the dice. So one six is 16, two fours are 24 etc.

The neat thing about this? Every set of dice you roll can be used to make an action, with some limits. It's the only system I've ever seen which successfully allows you to undertake multiple actions on the same roll.

The base pool is 7d10, so you'll generally get at least a couple of sets to make use of, if you're lucky you might get three doubles or a big set like a triple or higher, while if you're unlucky you might get all singles.
>>
File: Amber_DRPG.jpg (18KB, 281x368px) Image search: [Google]
Amber_DRPG.jpg
18KB, 281x368px
>dice
Ascend to the realm of diceless roleplaying with me, pleb. Don't look back.
>>
I tend to prefer systems without flat probability. Bell curves are far sexier than flat probability.

Although, if you're going to be going with flat probability, it better be d%. D% is really great.
>>
>>50380662
I like rolling d6s, d8s, d10s and d20s.

I hate rolling d4s and d12s.

I hate rolling 45d10s or 37d6s though. You know which games I'm thinking of here.
>>
>>50380717
Utter garbage. I see people enjoying this, but I cannot fathom their tastes. Played it a few times and it was terrible.

>>50380662
Cortex.
>>
I use a custom system where everything is achieved through d6 rolls. It's not the licensed d6 system though.

All weapons use a simple d6 damage roll, although some larger or more menacing weapons may have bonus minimum damage adjustments as well. The accuracy of attacks is determined by 2d6 rolls, with the required success figure dictated entirely by the weapon or skill being used, with no influence from character ability scores. e.g. Hitting anything with a sword might require you to score 8 or better on a roll of 2d6, whereas a more agile weapon like a dagger might require only 6 or better. 12 of course is a critical.

I'm sure a lot of /tg/ers would think it's retarded, but it keeps the pace of my games much more tolerable. d20 THAC0 was utterly terrible and imbalanced. It always takes characters an average of a dozen attempts to hit anything. (Granted, all I play is OSR, so I haven't tried any newer and presumably more balanced systems yet)
>>
>>50380662
My favourite dice mechanic was an obscure one that I first encountered in a D&D 3.5 supplement, Complete Warrior. One of the prestige classes has an ability that lets them make a Concentration check against DC 15, and if it's successful, he gains a bonus to something or other for a minute or two. He can use this as many times as he wants, but each time he succeeds, the DC goes up.

I like this mechanic a lot but I'm not sure how to put it into words. If I had to adapt it to another game, I'd make it some kind of quick action that wouldn't eat up an entire turn, in case it fails.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.