[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BBEGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: bbeg.jpg (170KB, 934x900px) Image search: [Google]
bbeg.jpg
170KB, 934x900px
Any advice for creating a compelling BBEG? Mostly looking for general advice, but I'm currently working on a steampunk GURPS campaign if you've got any ideas.
>>
File: 1443097689140.png (918KB, 804x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1443097689140.png
918KB, 804x1044px
>>50379805
not much to work with.
whats the setting? major story? theme? players?
>>
Start with a hero, then take away naivete.
>>
BBEGs are limited in scope and usage, and first require a villain up front.

Worry more about making a good villain, and forget about a BBEG running things behind him. They're mostly just a cliche anyway.
>>
>>50379823
I'm homebrewing a setting which is a bit of a mix of steampunk tech and medieval fantasy. The setting won't be as gritty and technological as many steampunk works are, and it will have few elements of fantasy (only 1 race, few monsters, little magic). Aside from that, I'm still considering many ideas for a more specific setting a plot; I've never run a steampunk game before.
>>
>>50379960
that sounds great
heres a tip
Steampunk is an aesthetic, brought about by divergent technology

So what is your SETTING like?
Who are the major powers?
Who has the tech?
Who's disenfranchised?
Where are the wild places?
What happens every day?
What wars are on?
>>
1) make the villain's goal before anything else. What is he trying to accomplish?

2) decide why they are doing this goal. Do they see it as a moral obligation in some twisted ideology? Are they mentally stable? Are they just selfish?

3) why is the villain a threat? what gives them the power to accomplish their goal? there are multiple ways to establish them as a credible threat, such as influence with a large number of people, physical strength, or divine favor.

4) this last one is overlooked a lot of times. why is your party the one who is fated to stop him? maybe they're the only ones who know, and keep the news to themselves since the news would spread panic like wildfire. but it can be as innocuous as just stark ideology differences. the villain can be a wealth hungry dragon and the party is bound together by the pursuit of justice over material gain.

By this time your villain just needs a name and design and you're all set.
>>
>>50379805
The best villain motivation is one that isn't objectively wrong/evil, and is arguably superior to those of the heroes. Make him the kind of guy who people on the internet would argue is the "Real hero" or blackpill.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.