[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emotions in games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Hey /tg/
As DM I always had the issue with some players regarding roleplaying emotions.
Several players so far always failed to react accordingly to various situations, especially when fear, surprise, or anything that would pose a strong reaction (except anger) came up.
Despite talking of this with my players, while some attempted to adjust, others failed or outright refused to consider to do any less.
Does this happen in your games?
Am I wrong as DM to request more emotional involvement IC if a character is not immune to fear effects or similar?
Tell me your opinions on the topic.
>>
Its awkward for most people to show emotion to a fake event. Being able to do so in a believable manner is what part of what makes someone a good actor.

Anger is easy. Its not a "weak" emotion like fear or sadness. So pretending to be mad is easy and less awkward. Also anger is easier to simply induce naturally.

Fear requires a sense of danger. The players themselves are not in any danger so this is a hard mound to cross. This is where immersion and mood setting become very important. Lighting and sound help a ton. Staying on topic and not having OOC discussions is also really important in these times.

Sadness requires a mix of attachment and relatability. Murderhobos don't get sad because they don't get attached to things and are barely human emotion wise.

Suprise, make better surprises desu. If its a plot thing remember that you have way more knowledge of the plot than the player does. Something might seem like a big twist to you but if you don't properly convey the situation to the players it can fly over their head.

DM cannot ask for more roleplay. All you can do is create an environment that supports and encourages roleplay.
>>
File: Henriette_Browne_A_nun.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Henriette_Browne_A_nun.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>>50378668
What a constructive and helpful post.

Here, have a nun.
>>
>>50378668

Well, I do agree. But I had players that despite online gaming (so they wouldn't really require much effort on their side as much it could had been in person), and having situations where a character legitimately could be afraid or at very least confused IC (the ground under their feet being swallowed, meeting for the first time a colossal dragon, being at the verge of a TPK, and so on), has been roleplayed with all the emotional range that a rock could have.
Even in cases where a character has a phobia, I had reactions akin to just look the object of their phobia at a distance and walk off calmly without any visible or just perceptible form of distress of any kind.
>>
We're murderhobos. We're here to kill things, not feel.

If you want them to feel things, run them Burning Wheel.
>>
>>50378668
This.

I had a player who refused to act "weak". He ended acting like a dick to those who wanted to roleplay fear, sandess or despair, literally bullying them to stop doing it. It looked like he thought everyone else will do same with his character, if he stop "being cool".
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.