[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In terms of personality, description, and situation, how do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: npc_01.jpg (266KB, 890x834px) Image search: [Google]
npc_01.jpg
266KB, 890x834px
In terms of personality, description, and situation, how do you create NPCs that your players (not neccisarily the PCs) enjoy/care about/want to know more about?

Obviously if you stick them in the scene and give them a reason to be memorable, that helps, but I'm more looking for something along the lines of creating attachment, not just wonderment.
>>
> npc holds sword to pc's throat, pc cares
> /thread
>>
>>50364791
Make them funny.
>>
>>50366173
Listen here you pedantic fucker. Do you really remember any of the random bandits you've fought in any game? PCs get swords pointed at them as often as they get asked "How do you do?". Even if they managed to get an ambush set up and actually hold the sword against the throat of a bound PC, once the PCs get out of their sticky situation and kill the bandits, they're not exactly going to feel attached to the memory.
>>
>>50366173

Wrong.

>npc by all means SHOULD be holding a sword to the pc's throat, but instead asks what the hell they want from them, explaining that they have resorted to banditry due to <insert reason here>

Having bandits act like actual humans and not goblins with a human statblock is a good start.
>>
It's simple. You kill the bat man.

I mean, it's simple, you play the role.

If you ever find yourself explaining to players how cool something in the game was because of anything mechanical like build, stats, items... You've already failed at the core of what makes rpgs worthwhile.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.