[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LARP advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Sup /tg/, I've been invited to my first larp and I have absolutely no fucking idea what I'm doing. Don't even have tabletop experience. What's some good general advice for a 1st timer?

I was thinking about doing something pretty safe and generic like a human thief. What's some good ideas for a 1st character?

Also, LARP thread I guess?
>>
>>50361894
tell us about the setting op

is it a big larp, how many people are participating etc

and also are you in a group or going solo?
>>
>>50361952

Heading with a friend, but I'm not sure on the group size. I think about 8 people.

It's a High Fantasy setting with two main factions; Islanders and continentals. There's this island where a big plague was brought in by guys from the continent. It's wiped almost everyone out and the group is trying to get out of dodge. At least that's all I've been told by my friend.

I was sent a book with a metric fuck tonne of classes and rules, but nothing substantial about the setting so I don't really know how to make my character very relevant.
>>
File: 1473119167816.png (5MB, 5559x3382px) Image search: [Google]
1473119167816.png
5MB, 5559x3382px
Figure out how to make it fun for yourself.
>>
>>50362053
sounds like something simple is pretty much what you are looking for op.

just try to make a simple character you can later branch out of, and try to show iniative when possible.

>>50362085 also gives some pretty good advice. if you think something would be fun, and its in character i suggest you just do it.

are there any specific things you are worrying about, or specific questions you wanna ask?
>>
>>50362163

I'm beginning to figure out that I need to start with finding out more details about my setting first. If I wanna find an angle for my character I'll need to more stuff first. I've messaged my friend if she can send me any reading on that.

I was thinking I could do something with my friend's character? If we at least hammer out some dynamic with her I'll have SOMETHING I can say and do. She's playing a Fey, so I was thinking what if my dude HATES the shit out of Fey, but owes her a life debt due so begrudgingly offers his services as repayment? Mite b cool?

>>50362085

Man I just read part 1 and I think that's about to be my bed time reading. Fucking Hardule man...
>>
>>50362401
yeah that'd work, though it must be said that if you are with that small of a group and you arent getting personal play, you probably have a pretty shit group.

but yeah making a connection with her character should be pretty good
>>
>>50361894
>safe
>thief
Just a generall advice: depending on where and with whom you play thats nowhere near safe. Dont know about america though, if thats were you from. But over here in europe ive been to larps where thiefs got their handa cut off for openly admitting to be thiefs. So be vary and, most importantly, have fun
>>
>>50362448

Ah balls, how many people do groups usually have? There aren't very many where I live.
>>
>>50362472
Oh, you live in Sweden?
>>
>>50363215
Germany, celtic larp
>>
>>50362708
eh depends, the largest group ive been in was over 50 people, with the event having a total of 600 people

small question, do you know how many people are going to be playing at the larp in total, not just your group?
>>
>>50361894
as this anon said >>50362472 a lot of things depends on where you live. Larp culture differs in most countries.
>>
>>50361894
I played in a LARP only once in my life
I had no clue what I was doing but I lift and am rather
>big guy
Ish so I just played a barbarian mercnary at the service of a friend of mine playing some dashing rogue type noble
It was fun, I cracked some skulls (metaphorically speaking), it helped that I was literally just doing what he told me all the time
>>
>>50363215
Kek at the Swedes are muslims joke that he didn't seem to get.

But to be quite frank in most LARPs that is pretty close to the punishment for that kinda stuff.
I'm part of the townwatch in one of my last LARPs, we did a whole lot of nasty stuff to thieves and their ilk. Even got to do some nice public stuff, great fun.
>>
cast Lightning Bolt before you cast Sleep
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.