[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working in the games industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Beggar-help-574844.jpg (23KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Beggar-help-574844.jpg
23KB, 590x350px
Good morning /tg/

I'm a 24 (nearly 25),and due to me moving a lot as a kid/teen, I don't have any diplomas and I'm stuck working for private security companies. I'd like to work in the games industry, (Tabletop games, card games,etc...)
So... How do I ? I'm creating a board game,at first just for me and my friends but I'm wondering if it'd be a good start,maybe do something clean and professional and try to present it at an event ?

And to keep thread interesting,what was your first tabletop game that got you hooked ? Favourite game now ?

For me it was Talisman, and now savage worlds.
>>
>>50344905
>I'm stuck working for private security companies
Is that a fancy way to say bouncer?

>I'd like to work in the games industry, (Tabletop games, card games,etc...) So... How do I ?
Well, you apply and keep applying until you succeed. No degree necessary (unless you're bound to make the game that will last decades and make you a millionaire, in which case I suggest mathematics / game theory).
Knowing the right people helps too, nepotism is still prevalent in the game industry, like in most "creative" profession. So socialization / networking at cons and stuff might help.

>Favourite game now ?
>For me it was Talisman, and now savage worlds.
Okay, scratch everything. For you and game design there's only one advice. Don't you fucking dare!
>>
>>50344942
>Is that a fancy way to say bouncer ?
Nope, more like guarding villas. It's a joke as well though.
Even though you told me not to dare try game design, thanks for the advice, friend.
>>
>>50344905
Industryfag here
>>50344942
has the right of it

Keep at it and dont stop applying, its 60% socializing, 40% work. If you want to be a designer, what games have you designed? Everyone has ideas, few people execute those ideas. Have a finished game you can show off if someone asks to see something.
>>
Complete idiot here with no idea of how the industry might actually work, so >>50345090
shoot me down if I mess up here.

But I'd say that maybe even try something more short-hearted like a pre-written adventure if that's your style? And yeah, go to cons, go to job fairs and see if there's actually any companies looking.
Getting a job is atleast as much knowing people as having a great cv, and if you got people skills to boot you're golden mate.
>>
>>50345090
Working on one right now, first one I'm seriously working on though so I don't know if I'm doing things right,I need to find people to playtest.

I'll try and find somewhere/events I can form some connections, but where I live it's not really common. For example, the only shop that sold MTG cards/board games shut down like 5 years ago.
>>
Have you ever heard of a line of games by James Earnest by the name of "Cheapass Games"? They were basically small card and board games printed in black and white, sometimes using colored paper, and sold in an envelope for 5-10 bucks. Pretty sure he self published those in his garage with a laser printer and a paper cutter.

You might try something like that.

A relative of mine picked up a game at a convention that was pretty neat as well - fully self published. It had nice laser cut MDF tiles, printed (laser cut) cards, and a nice box. The art wasn't bad. a lot of stock photos, but for a historical game it worked. The equipment to do all that is less than the cost of a used car these days, but still more than I think you will want to spend initially.

My recommendation? Don't quit your day job yet. Self publish some of your own "cheapass games." Work on networking. Go to conversions, spread the word, get your games out there, and get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Granted I've never designed a game in my life, so take this all with a grain of salt, but I've been to cons and talked to indie game designers, sometimes buying and trying their games.
>>
File: tips.png (444KB, 680x676px)
tips.png
444KB, 680x676px
>>50344905
The attitude that other people should solve your problems so you can stop being poor is the exact reason why you're poor in the first place.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.