[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 68

File: 1478960586492.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1478960586492.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Adventure Edition

How would you make lndiana Jones using only 150/50?

Question of the Thread:
How do you make your characters' backstory?
>>
>>50343745
Serendipity, luck and plot armor
>>
>>50343745
A lotta points back for Enemy (The Third Reich)
>>
>>50343745
Indy is worth a bit more points than that.
>>
>>50343977
That's the challenge
>>
>>50343990
You can have the Chinese knockoff of Indy for that price.
>>
>>50343745
I'd skimp pretty hard on real archaeology stuff and IQ. While he has those, they don't do much to define him and cost a lot. Two fisted adventureing as the primary focus, with just a splash of cheap set dressing skills to cover the archologist part.
>>
>>50344035
Good enough
>>
>>50343977
>>50344035
How much would the real Indy cost?
>>
>>50344077
>>50344084

Then do what that guy said. I would also cut back on the languages, reputation, wealth, and have the core stats be as close to bog standards as you feel comfortable with. Also maybe have the luck be the minor one.
>>
>>50344094
Around 400 I think.
>>
File: large.jpg (185KB, 1280x723px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
185KB, 1280x723px
What kind of stats for one of these early TL 6 torpedo boats? I'm thinking that they'd make a good 'adventure' ship, being suitable for fast work, small crews and occasionally doing damage far, far out scale with their size with the early torpedoes.
>>
Here's my quick and dirty Indiana from the dedicated "Indiana stat" thread:

ST 12
DX 14
IQ 12
HT 12

Fists! - 17
Whip! - 18
Archaeologist! - 21
Fast talk - 12
Drive (automobile)- 13
Ride - 14

Signature gear (whip, hat)
Higher purpose ("it belongs in a museum!")
Dependent (dammit dad)
Phobia (snakes)
Ridiculous luck
Serendipity 2
Daredevil
Overconfidence
Cultural adaptability
Language talent
Destiny (to have his franchise burn unceremoniously to the ground) [disadvantage version]

Likes dangerous women (quirk)
Always loses his shirt dramatically at least once per adventure (quirk)
Benefits from bulletproof nudity rule (perk; bonus to dodge if he loses his shirt)
>>
>>50344937

SM+6
HP/ST 85
Handling +0
Stability Rating 3
HT 10
Move 2/10
Loaded Weight 32.5
Load 4.5
Occupants 4+6
DR 3
Range 200

Armed with: Primitive Torpedoes (2 in drop racks, or 1 in tube +2 reloads) and can be armed with Maxim or Gatling guns. Note that range assumes only it's small coal bunkers are filled. A deck-load of coal would make it impossible to clear for combat action without dumping fuel overboard but would allow for better then a thousand miles of range.
>>
I quite enjoy the GURPS resurgence in blogs recently. I'm really waiting for the kickstarter thing to ship just to see if more people are converted.
>>
File: 1392013359656.jpg (46KB, 531x809px) Image search: [Google]
1392013359656.jpg
46KB, 531x809px
At an assumed -30% to weight, how much would you reduce the Min ST of a melee weapon by, on average, for that weight reduction amount?
>>
>>50345369
Me too.
But I'm even more excited at the prospect of SJgames using the Kickstarter success as justification for future product launches that way. Would breathe life into all sorts of in-demand supplements.
>>
File: 1327262736153.jpg (912KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1327262736153.jpg
912KB, 2000x2000px
>>50345389
It's a vapor dream, but I sometimes wish they'd Kickstarter for a Compendium 4e, where they just compile a cleanly updated, revised, and complete set of every book-and-Pyramid advantage, disadvantage, power, spell, and skill in one mega volume, like the old compendiums combined and multiplied.
>>
>>50345440
Eh, even advantages from basic set and powers combined would be nice. Really annoying to jump back and forth between two books to read information on the one thing.
>>
>>50345440
I would literally kill for a 4E compendium. Illustrated by the same guy that did the 3e one, ideally...
>>
>>50345381
Per High Tech titanium blades have -25% weight with no reduction in required ST.

Low Tech Companion 2 page 15 has much more detailed rules for calculating ST from weapon weight, or you could reduce weapon size by the rules in Low Tech Companion 2 to get the ST you want, but that would also reduce damage.
>>
>>50345440
Is it possible to rip text from a pdf without formatting issues like every line being a different line instead of a paragraph? You could make your own compendium if you did that and make your own book
>>
A question about GURPS Alternate II, The Last Gasp; How the fuck are you supposed to travel by land with that recovery time?

>light load
>2FP/hour of travel
>3 hours travel -6FP
>now i need 18 hours to recover
>Move 5 in light load walks 6 miles in two days
>>
So, GURPSgen, I was wondering about disadvantages.
Cursed seems to have a huge point rebate(-75), but it never really explains what it does. How powerful a disadvantage is it?
Also, would it perhaps be appropriate to apply to an entire race?
>>
>>50347250
Cursed means you are the GM's bitch. There's really not much more to it; they can fuck with you when they want, how they want, from "lolno you failed, don't care what the dice say" to "take 8d cr to the skull; another piano fell on you."

It's not meant to be taken alone. Cursed exists for two reasons: to be taken with a number of limitations or to be applied as an Affliction. Compare it with Terminally Ill; the base version of the disadvantage is simply "you die," so there's not a lot to work with for either the GM or the player. However, Terminally Ill (Mitigator, weekly treatment, -65%) works as a disadvantage because it requires certain inconveniences (e.g. have to stay in an area where treatment is available, villains could influence the character by threatening to withold treatment, etc.), and Affliction (Terminally Ill) is a terrifying old-school curse.

I would either give the race Unluckiness instead or slap Cursed with a bunch of limitations so they have some sort of avoidable cultural taboo.
>>
>>50346725
Some word processors allow you to replace special non-printing characters when CTRL+F'ing. Highlight the paragraph, replace the character for line break (I think it's "\$") with a space, and you should be good to go. If Word/Pages doesn't do this, I know OpenOffice/LibreOffice does.
>>
>>50347662
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the advice, however.
So for Limitations, theoretically, I could apply Cursed but link it back to behavioural things or perhaps some kind of substance?
(Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm really quite new to GURPS.)
>>
>>50347922
Yep. If they have to do things to avoid the effects of Cursed, use Mitigator. If Cursed only applies during a specific time, use Accessibility.

If someone has been cursed by a god and needs to pray at their temple to avoid suffering, they have Cursed (Mitigator). Same if they need to eat a special fruit once a month or whatever.

If someone was cursed for being an asshole, they may have Cursed with the Accessibility limitation "Only after failing to resist Bad Temper/Bully/etc."
>>
>>50347010
Fucking 4chan ate my goddamn post and I don't feel like retyping all of that, so here's the tl;dr version.

>Hiking rules suck ass
>Walking at a liesurely pace (x0.2 of current encumbered Move) actually counts as resting and recovering FP, so that pace also means no FP loss. For a Move 5 dude with a light load, that's about 1 yd/second, which isn't bad (10 hours = 20 miles). I'm sure you can make this more efficient if you want to, alternating between a fast FP-draining speed and the slower FP-recovering speed.
>Other shit can fuck up your walk and make you lose FP (hunger, heat), but a gentle walk in temperate conditions isn't super exhausting.
>>
Quick! Post your highest non-combat skill!
>>
>>50349142
Gaming (GURPS) (E) IQ+4 [12]-14.
Writing (A) IQ+2 [8]-12, but Hidebound limits effectiveness to technical aspects like grammar, syntax, and punctuation.
>>
I am setting up a "In system" GURPS space game. What tech level rage should I use?

(Old tech/Current tech/state of the art)
8-9-10
or 9-10-11
>>
>>50343745
does anyone know if theres a premade campaign for post apoc/during apoc

thanks in advance
>>
>>50352322
GURPS has almost zero pre-made things. I think there are a few standalone adventures scattered about 4e, mostly in Pyramid issues, plus the occasional setting like Havens and Hells. 3e had a larger number of published settings, but even then, I'm 99.9% sure there were no premade campaigns/adventure paths. After the End should give you the tools you need to write your own up, but you still need to put in the legwork.
>>
>>50352322
>post apoc/during apoc
What type of Apoc are you looking for?
>>
>>50352322

Check for GURPS: After the End I think it was called.
>>
>>50352322
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_Reign_of_Steel

Post Robot revolt Apoc
>>
>>50352519
It's no premade campaign though, it's a setting.
>>
>>50352444
where pcs are in a bomb shelter trying to survive a nuclear war, i know its pretty niche but i was hoping there was something on it.
>>
>>50351978

Probably 9-10-11. If you go 8-9-10, you get GURPS High-tech, which is weird when put next to Ultratech (since some options in high tech are plain better than the ones in ultratech)
>>
>>50352648
I have a homebrew campaign like that, but it not published. I could over the thanksgiving holiday update it to 4th edition and put it up if you really where needing help with ideas, or I could just give you a summary.
>>
>>50352726
its fine, I was only looking for ideas and inspiration and I already have a pretty good idea already.
>>
>>50352550
With pages of campaign ideas. It also has good stuff on survival.
>>
>>50343745
Did anyone used KYOS in their game? What was your experience with it?
>>
>>50353570
I'm using it, though it's had relatively little impactso far, mostly just made one of the PC's mech form a bit more affordable. I expect it to be more relevant later. I'm also gonna use it for an upcoming campaign, but I'm gonna have to adjust the ST bonus for power armor first.
>>
>>50353570
My brain keeps parsing that as "kill your own self". Fuck.
>>
File: 1474415134934.jpg (457KB, 1920x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1474415134934.jpg
457KB, 1920x1384px
>>50353841
hah, ditto
goddamn pol and tumblr
>>
Quick question: Balanced characters or gimmicky characters?
Which one gets boring faster?
>>
>>50354576
Gimmicky. Balanced characters can grow in any direction to best suit the campaign or whims of the player while a gimmick character will forever be a one-trick pony that can never grow beyond their starting gimmick without wasting all the points they sank in to it at chargen.
>>
>>50354576
Anyone who can't help in at least half the scenes will get full fast. Balance or no, try for broad utility and something memorable about a PC
>>
Not bait but is 3e broken? The numbers seem broken as fuck for dodge and attacking. I know passive defense is a thing but without armor I've got a 10% chance of dodging? Even parrying is shit. That 3 plus in 4e makes a big difference. Should I house rule it? I like a lot of 3e compared to 4e:

> All in one book
> damage type multipliers appear to be gone , they were cool but pissed me off
> rules just seem simpler in general
> escalating costs instead of straight costs for attributes

I miss perception and willpower as actual stats, and being able to modify basic speed with cp.

Anyway just general opinions on 4e vs 3e?
>>
File: tumblr_oc1769Pmuj1sjodmuo3_1280.gif (2MB, 1280x1690px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oc1769Pmuj1sjodmuo3_1280.gif
2MB, 1280x1690px
>>50355082
You can modify basic speed with points in 4th. It's 5 per .25 Basic Speed.

Attack and defense in 3rd are odd, especially when used to 4th's "if you don't fuck up 1/2 to 3/4ths of attacks wiff" setup.

>>50354576

DX 12 IQ 12 characters are a solid choice if you don't know what will happen in a game. For a few points you can get reasonably capable with almost any task. It's a big investment but this balanced/generalist PC will be useful all the time.
>>
>>50355410
Yeah it just seems like 3e is auto hitting.

Say I have two master swordsman up against each other. Even with Swords 16 their parry is only 8. They hit on anything but a crit fail then have a 25% chance of partying, so like most attacks hit.it's like D&D 3.5 except even worse in terms of auto hitting
>>
>>50356234
3rd edition was REALLY deadly.
>>
>>50355082
>damage type multipliers appear to be gone
re-read campaigns:injury
>>
>>50357719
Reread his post. He is talking about what he likes in 3e over 4e.

Though he is still wrong, as 3e had those as well. Page 74 of the 3e basic book.
>>
>>50357719
Yeah I fucked up, I saw damage types in the glossary so I went back and checked.
>>
>>50356305
So should I house rule the base 3 plus back,into dodge and parry?
>>
>>50358849
If you insist on playing 3rd? it s a start.
But at that point, your gonna want to house rule in a lot of the 4th ed updates that differentiate them, and by that point, you might as well just be playing 4th ed
>>
Guys, I'm reading up on GURPS and trying to get a feel for the system because I'm going to be playing a game soon. I'm through most of the basic set, but I read it pretty fast so I might be missing some (lots of) things.

I have a couple of questions regarding a scenario I thought up and I am unsure how it would play out:

Suppose my character, for the purposes of this exercise a martial artist, is facing a swordsman, and the swordsman is getting up in my face (but it's not combat yet). The swordsman has his sword in his scabbard and is yelling in my face about something or other and gesticulating wildly with his hands, he is clearly angry. Also assume that my basic speed is higher than his, although I'm not sure it's relevant in this case.

With his setup in mind, how would the two following scenarios go?

1. I want to pull out his sword from his scabbard and stab him with it. If I'm reading this right, it would be a quick contest of DX or a related skill (which skill?), then if I succeed, combat starts and I can take a step back and roll to hit. Am I right?

2. He goes for his sword, as he is drawing it I want to push his sword back into his scabbard and punch him in the face and then take his sword. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to go about this, but I'm thinking that I would need to roll to hit his sword hand with a grapple and go from there. Am I going in the right direction? Also, how does disarming work in GURPS, in general and in this case?
>>
File: 1473718978248.png (4MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1473718978248.png
4MB, 1920x1280px
>>50359476
Combat begins at hostile intention, unless for some reason you have surprise. In this case, there'd be no surprise.

On your turn as an action you could perform a quick DX or Sword skill to take his Sword off him, if you are close enough to grab him.

2) I'd say this is a situation where combat starts and you act before him, Grappling his sword-arm before he can pull his weapon. On the same or the next turn you punch him in the face, then you can try to take his still-sheathed sword.
>>
>>50359679
>Combat begins at hostile intention
I see, that does make sense.

One question though, how does that affect turn order? In case my basic speed is higher than his, I get first turn and can make a grab for his sword. But what if my basic speed is lower than his? When I tell the GM "I want to make a grab for his sword" combat begins and he gets first turn and he can use it to pull out the sword with a ready action without me being able to do anything about it?
>>
>>50359679
>Previous thread:
seconding these. also linda telling the GM "I WAIT until X happens, then do Y" is what youre describing. "I wait for him to start shit, likely drawing that sword, and then go for his sword"
"I wa
>>
>>50359738
>what if my basic speed is lower than his
Read up on 'surprise'
>>
>>50359779
Would partial surprise rules apply in this case (scenario 1)? Or no surprise applies as said in >>50359679
>>
>>50359738
In that case, combat would start with him seeing you come at him. He reacts first, and gets first action because of his higher basic speed, unless you've somehow convinced him you aren't hostile or he isn't aware you are there.

If you said "I want to punch him in the face" the same would happen. He'd get to act first and know that shit was going down, but not your exact intentions.
>>
>>50359826
>unless you've somehow convinced him you aren't hostile
Wouldn't the fact that he's yelling in my face (probably would be close combat range) and waving his arms wildly work in my favor, since he's obviously not ready for combat and his arms are in no position to reach for his sword?
>>
>>50359862
In the space of 1 second? Unlikely. If he's not surprised, he knows the fight's already begun, and he can easily stop gesticulating and go for the sword in 1 second, hell, even less. A second is vanishingly short, but so surprisingly long as well.
>>
>>50359892
This is why I roll initiative
1d6 variance add fun
>>
File: ewlyESB.jpg (108KB, 1000x733px) Image search: [Google]
ewlyESB.jpg
108KB, 1000x733px
>>50359862
No, really it works the other way. He's deliberately provoking you and doing something likely to solicitate a hostile response. A GM might put you into combat rounds already when in such a tense situation.
>>
>>50359892
>If he's not surprised
That's my point, wouldn't he be surprised? We are standing close enough for our chests to almost touch, he is obviously not expecting combat (or he wouldn't have come as close) and his arms are up in the air while my arms down my sides near his sword.

Anyway, I kinda answered my question, in the end it's up to the GM whether he will let me surprise him or not, I guess.

Another way I could see it going, but I'm not sure if it's valid at all, is that if his basic speed is higher, combat could begin with my hand around his sword but with his turn, so he would get the chance to grapple the arm that's holding onto his sword or do whatever else.

>>50359926
>He's deliberately provoking you and doing something likely to solicitate a hostile response
I was actually envisioning a situation where the swordsman feels comfortable yelling at people and not expecting a hostile response (maybe a noble used to getting his way, a drill sergeant, or something like that).
>>
>>50359926
Why do you have these pictures
>>
File: 1475285386036.jpg (314KB, 900x1538px) Image search: [Google]
1475285386036.jpg
314KB, 900x1538px
>>50359974
In the case of an Overconfident Bully, I'd allow surprise.
>>
>>50359984
Not him, but I seem to remember them being used in some form of anti-bullying campaign. Although I'm not sure whether it was satire or just bad choice of pictures.
>>
>>50352438
>I'm 99.9% sure there were no premade campaigns/adventure paths.
3e had a number of shorter adventures, but not any full campaigns, I think. The Black Diamond series from Cliffhangers was supposed to be a full campaign, but only the prologue ever got released.
>>
File: LRYy.png (34KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
LRYy.png
34KB, 600x300px
>>50360001
>>50359984
They just need one thing to be perfect.
>>
>>50360019
No joke, I genuinely thought they were rape fetish pictures.

I was a little excited for a second there
>>
>>50360027
I reverse searched the pictures and images from the same set appear in tons of anti-bullying websites and articles.

(for example: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-female-bullying.htm )

They appear to be stock photos of bullying.
>>
File: tumblr_o0wqm9zfSw1sj8sv9o1_540.png (500KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0wqm9zfSw1sj8sv9o1_540.png
500KB, 540x720px
>>50343745

>Question of the Thread:
>How do you make your characters' backstory?

I tend to start with a basic idea, a easy to grasp concept like "nurse" then work backwards within the setting to see how it works in there. I look at the skills I want and try to think of how I'd justify them (how does a nurse know how to shoot a gun?).

Pretty much think of the character, think of the questions and parts that don't make sense, then think of how they could make sense. Contradictions aren't something you have to avoid, you have to justify them.
>>
File: nobully1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
nobully1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1280px
>>50360019
>>50360027
>>
File: nobully2.jpg (358KB, 1000x733px) Image search: [Google]
nobully2.jpg
358KB, 1000x733px
>>50361504
>>
>>50361504
>>50361511
I just realized they are taking turns to bully each other. also I really like redhead girl's style
>>
>>50361504
>>50361511
>You'll never get bullied by these bitches
why live
>>
File: This should nt expand dong.jpg (73KB, 600x1097px) Image search: [Google]
This should nt expand dong.jpg
73KB, 600x1097px
>>50359926
Goddamn it, GURPSgen
>>
File: kira.jpg (58KB, 1107x620px) Image search: [Google]
kira.jpg
58KB, 1107x620px
New to gurps here.

I have 50 points for this
What is the closest to Yoshikage Kira's ability I can make with this budget?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I want a touch range explosion that won't blow me up as well.
Bonus points if it's silent and can be remote activated after touching the target.
>>
>>50363385
Burning Attack X(Explosion 1, +50%; Low Signature, Detectable by people with special powers, +10%; Melee, Range C, -30%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Trigger, whenever I make the detonation gesture, +50%)[10.5/level]
each level does 1d of damage. For 3.5 points less a level, you can remove the explosion modifier and selective area, which don't actually seem relevant. Selectivity is so you can decide if you want to set a trigger or not, but likewise, you could turn off explosion too.
>>
>>50359992
i've seen many boobplates before, but boobleather? thats new
>>
>>50363508
Thank you so much, anon. I don't even know what to say
>>
>>50343745
>How do you make your characters' backstory?
It goes hand in hand with character creation. Also depends if I make the backstory after or before character creation.

>Before
Usually I think of a simple concept like a druid that's afraid of bears or a gunslinger who's most defining feature is his deformed hand.
From there I build off the concept, "why is the druid afraid of bears and how does he over come it?" Or "how and when was the gunslingers hand deformed? Was he born with it or is he hunting down the person that gave it to him?"
From there I build a character.

>After
Most of the time I start after creation, though. I'll take what I think are the character's most defining features and develop it from there. Usually I'll tie them together, for example if he's wealthy and also a bully, he was probably /that/ kid in school. Or maybe his fear of oceans and large bodies of water has a deep meaning behind it.
>>
Who makes and controls Allies purchased, the PC or the GM?

I've always done it that the PC does, as long as they make proper in-character decisions. My new GM seems to disagree and I find that loss of agency kind of sucks some of the interest from me.

Opinions?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-23-12-06-08.png (734KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-23-12-06-08.png
734KB, 1080x1920px
>>50365332
An ally is an npc as per raw.
They are implicit allies, but by definition are not in your direct control as a PC.
>>
Are the WW2 rules for GURPS any good?

I want to run a straight up WW2 game with no fantasy or anything.
>>
>>50365442
Yes, they are.
Check out High Tech for your requisite gun porn.
>>
File: 1454189881775.jpg (90KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1454189881775.jpg
90KB, 480x640px
Hey gurpsgen, new to gurps and have been reading the gurps lite """"book""""

I want to design a Bloodborne/Van Halen esque hunting kind of thing. A lot of Castlevania style creatures and fights in it.

Is there a way to handle area of effect attacks for boss like creatures, or PC weapons that have areas of attack? Sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics. I specifically want my PCs to feel powerful and overwhelming. Most of my friends play tabletop games that make them feel too restricted.

Any good resources you could point me to for what I'm getting at would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>50365442
Yes they are.
>>
>>50365875
There's rules for Large Area Attacks, tramping and being attacked by giants. A truly huge boss might have strikers that fill several yards, forcing you to move out of the area before they land or maybe dodge and drop away.

Otherwise, you can do odd areas of effect via Innate Attacks with suitable limitations and enhancements, though someone that knows them better then me would have to help you.

>>50365442
Very good, especially for infantry. There aren't quite enough AFVs statted up to do a armor-focused game without needing to do some work yourself if you want to do Char ibs vs Panzer IV battles.
>>
>>50365466
>>50366029
>>50366343
You guys got much experience with it? What missions have you played / tried with it?
>>
>>50366812
My games tend to go werid war 2 very fast, so they usually ended up with nice safety nets. Suprescience force fields, Nazi space magic guns, that sort of thing.

What I can tell you tho, is the era is very capable with its guns, and less than capable with body armor. Portable surgery is an option with better machined tools and trauma kits, but getting shot is a nasty brutish short way to go.
>>
>>50366812

Some, yes.

Island hopping in the south pacific with a PT boat. Missions included providing SAR support for downed pilots after battles, scouting out positions of IJN ships, inserting and extracting small recon/commando teams on islands and a nighttime duel with a light cruiser where we snuck in close enough under fire and dodging searchlights to torpedo it, only to have the Mark 8 fail to do enough damage to really stop it. It did break off action and retreat though, so we can call that a win.

>>50366890
My other memorable one is pretty werid-war too, with a OSS unit made of werewolves, vampires and a witch fighting nazi oculist.
>>
>>50366812
We played a next man up game, where the goal was to survive on the eastern front. When you died you went with the next PC. Unit died completely in Poland.
>>
File: oWSklgs.png (609KB, 893x294px) Image search: [Google]
oWSklgs.png
609KB, 893x294px
>>
File: feilong_rekka_punch[1].gif (35KB, 576x494px) Image search: [Google]
feilong_rekka_punch[1].gif
35KB, 576x494px
Okay, so I want to run a martial artist for my next character, and I want to see if I understand this correctly.

With a weapon you may either double attack for no penalty with the main hand and -4 for the off hand (assuming your main weapon requires readying after use and thus can't be used for both swings), rapid strike for -6 to BOTH but still be able to defend on the following turn, or substitute one of the two double attacks with a rapid strike per the rule on page BRB54 for a triple attack at a -4,-6,-6 penalty (assuming your main-hand weapon doesn't require readying and your off-hand one does; if neither requires readying then it's 0,-6,-6).

But using an advanced martial art (Karate, though it would obviously be called something else in-universe) halves the Rapid Strike penalty, and Trained by a Master negates the off-hand penalty (though fists don't require readying, so the benefit of this is situational), so the triple attack is rolled at -0,-3,-3.

Alternatively, you can use the 'cinematic' rule for Rapid Strike and take 3 attacks at once, but do so an the All-Out Attack (determined). Using Trained by a Master halves the -12 penalty and the determined bonus applies to all 3 attacks so you get a -2,-2,-2 profile instead. This can be carried out to four attacks at -5, five at -7, six at -10, and so on.

In essence, martial artists don't get the best damage per-hit in the world but it's VERY easy for them to put out lots of attacks. Where am I grossly, horrifyingly wrong?
>>
>>50368935
>But using an advanced martial art (Karate, though it would obviously be called something else in-universe) halves the Rapid Strike penalty, and Trained by a Master negates the off-hand penalty
You messed up here, it's the other way around.
Also, all this can be done with any balanced weapon.
>>
So, been working on a semi-hard space campaign. (Yes, he anon that asked these questions before.)

Transhuman Space, terradyne, Space, Robots, Biotech. (Also will be mining Eclipse Phase and The Expanse for ideas.). Any other product I am forgetting?
>>
>>50368351
Ha, nice.
>>
>>50368935
Check out the textbox "A Matter of Inches" in Martial Arts; IIRC, unarmed attacks get bonuses to making or resisting feints. That, combined with what you've already mentioned about unarmed attacks always being ready/unsheathed makes them great at quick surprise attacks/suckerpunches, plus they'll always beat an armed fighter with a weapon in their sheath in a fast-draw duel situation.

Punching isn't significantly faster than swinging a weapon (assuming you're using a weapon that's not too heavy for you) IRL or in GURPS.
>>
>A colony (of a space empire) degenerates from TL10 to TL 3.

Would that realistically possible?
>>
File: Tielk.jpg (235KB, 762x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Tielk.jpg
235KB, 762x1048px
>>50370158
stargate
>>
File: 1478223413649.jpg (346KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1478223413649.jpg
346KB, 1200x1650px
>>50370158
I can think of a few ways. You'd have to justify it somehow.

Let's start with the assumption that all the recordings either are held in one small, central location where they could all be destroyed at once or are in a format that people could no longer use and degraded.

If all basic knowledge is held in a single library, or a single database you need a electronic reader to use, it could be lost.

Next you have to get rid of people that could record basic mathematics, engineering, medical, communication, metallurgy and scientific information before they can pass it on or make a lasting record of their knowledge.

One way to justify it is a Lord of the Flies problem, with only children surviving some kind of catastrophe. Another would be to have a colony where for religious or practical reason scientific knowledge and development is deliberately repressed.
>>
>>50370158
They could fall back into barbarism and feudalism or whatever but even if you removed all modern sources of energy they'd still be at least TL5-6, just with crippled industry in many sectors.

The only scenario I can accept would be if TL10 is so utopian that absolutely everything is handled by artificial intelligence and humans forgot how to do ANYTHING by themselves and haven't the vaguest clue how their magic gizmos work since technological progress and R&D was left to the robots centuries ago.
Think wireheads who spent their entire lives in virtual space suddenly getting dumped innawoods.
They would be almost all the way back to TL0
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46KB, 500x625px
>>50370426
>>50370452
WAR!
>>
>>50370158
Sure, if a colony does no have a key resource, (say, computer manufacturing) and i cut off, in a generation or three all the computers are dead. This causes failures in other industries.

Also, a population crash can do it. The colony goes from industrial high tech to just barely enough people to farm food. Bonus that you have cool salvage.,
>>
Can someone explain TLX+Y to me? How does TL3+1 differ from TL4? TL0+8 from TL3+5 from TL 7+1?
>>
>>50371694
It is used to represent divergent tech
The tech levels represent our normal progression of technology.
If I am alternate history technology diverged from the norm, that would be 'where the first half stops. Then, the parallell/equivalent tech level is represented by the difference.

Sonofa you have a world where steam took over development instead of internal combustion, but their world kept developing up to computers and spaceflight etc etc. You would have TL 5 (where it started to differ) +3 (for a sum of 8, equivalently analogous to our world). They would have steam powered difference engines running their networks, but they'd have them just like us.
>>
>>50371694
It's basically shorthand for aesthetic differences; TL5+2 is your classic steampunk setting where everything is effectively TL7 but with more brass, analog dials, and steam whistles. However, it can also imply some minor changes; to stick with the steampunk example, TL7 gear may be available, but it will likely weigh twice the listed amount as plastic and ergonomic design are replaced with solid brass and mahogany and everything has a very blocky design. At the end of the day, though, there's no default automatic difference between TL3+5 and TL8 -- it is purely aesthetic/fluff differences RAW, and all changes, if any, are made by the GM personally and likely on a case-by-case basis.

To answer your specific examples, 3+1 is TL4 but large galleys are just viking longships but bigger, armor improves but stays at "chain with plate on top" rather than true plate (and certainly no ornate gothic plate armor), and gunpowder weapons improve while sticking with the "tiny cannons on sticks" design philosophy.
TL0+8 is The Flintstones, TL3+5 is very high fantasy with everpresent magic replacing modern utilities, and TL7+1 is basically the same as TL8 but a little more "retro" with car and clothing designs stuck in the 50-70s, bulkier electronics due to lack of microprocessors, etc.
>>
>>50371784
>>50371844
Thanks, I feel like I understand it a lot better now. So it's primarily setting dressing, although it does affect practical things like what things are made of, but the end result's close enough to the nondivergent tech of an equivalent level. I really like that flintstones example, too.
>>
>>50365379
Yeah, fair enough. Guess I'm now concerned with an already iffy character concept with so central a "familiar" to it, that having to worry about it's characterization concerns me.

Got too much on my plate right now for this to be added.
>>
>>50370158
You'd need a catastrophe that kills enough specialists that the tech level can't be maintained.
>>
File: 1457176556517s.jpg (3KB, 88x125px) Image search: [Google]
1457176556517s.jpg
3KB, 88x125px
>>50343745
Are there any GURPS sourcebooks for mini adventures (ala Honey I shrunk the Kid)? I'm working on a game where you play as a bug
>>
>>50372541
Alternate GURPS issue of Pyramid (#3/34), "When We Were Very Small."
>>
Hello GURPS friends

Would any of you was kind enough to help me figure out the most point-efficient way to make the following set-up work.

A polymorph ability to change shape into very specific being. Said creature is much smaller than the original and is the only accessable form of the change. The ability is triggered by a specific object and only when the object is used. Under changed form the character can't speak.
>>
>>50373030
Alternate Form with Trigger (Specific Object, -20%). Put "Cannot Speak" on the Alternate Form's template. It'll cost 15 + positive point cost of template, then limited with the Trigger limitation. All of the above is in Basic Set.
>>
In a low fantasy TL 3 game should you pretty much always go shield + mace, or is there some reason not to?
>>
>>50374049
It depends on what you want to do. As far as the most "optimized" for TL 3 single combat? It's probably a large shield and a longsword. You want as many defenses as possible, so using a mace, which is 0U, isn't a great idea. You can make an argument for using a morningstar, because it penalizes defenses so much, but is still 0U and uses Flail, which is a Hard skill.
>>
>>50372541

Your image gave me a sensible chuckle.
>>
>>50373087
Thanks!
>>
How hard will it be for a nigh-absolute TRPG newbie to GM a GURPS game for people who are nigh-absolute TRPG newbies whose attention I'll need to hold, since they're pampered by videogames?
>>
>>50375805

Should be okay the hook of "you can just jump over those chest high walls" is pretty appealing - just make sure there aren't any digital distractions.
>>
>>50375902
But how do I GM good? I've never done this before... Any starter tips? Modules, maybe? I guess this isn't really the thread to ask for broad questions like these...
>>
>>50375952

There happens to be a GURPS supplement just for you - check out How to Be a GURPS GM in the trove.
>>
>>50375974
Oh hey, thanks!
>>
>>50375805
First and most important - pick GURPS Lite.
Last thing you want is making people paranoid by bringing 600 pages long book titled "Basic"
>>
>>50375805
As a warning, some people actually prefer videogames to RPGs. This is not really something you have much say in and with shit taste like that, who needs to say anything?. If a player turns out to be like that, don't stress yourself out trying to appeal to him, just be honest and tell him it's Not A Videogame, he doesn't have to be there if he doesn't want to, etc. And remember you have to have fun too.

What are you running, what do you have in mind?
>>
>>50376067
Anything really. Probably uninspired fantasy to get feet wet.
Oh yeah, I didn't mention we intend to do it online, did I
>>
File: 901.jpg (271KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
901.jpg
271KB, 816x639px
>>50376082
Different anon, but since you seem to deal with vidya players:
Why not try to run something related with games they usually play? That DOESN'T mean you should run what they usually play (this backfires badly in almost all cases), but something similar enough to be familiar for them. This way they will "know" what to do and how to act and so on.

I've got my friends into tabletop RPG by running scenarios similar to their favorite films, so they knew all the cliches and tropes, while had a free hand to pull things the way they wanted.
>>
>>50376111
That makes sense. I'll probably also have to make it combat heavy, roleplaying is going to be embarrassing at first, I imagine.
>>
Stat up a thanksgiving dinner in GURPS!
>>
>>50378199
-2 basic move for 2 hours after consumption.
>>
People using DF, how do mundane classes match up against more magical ones? Seems a lot fo games have issues balancing sword swingers and spell slingers, does GURPS do this well within a given point value?
>>
>>50378828
The only caster class that I'm afraid might come close to superiority is the new incanter one. The others can be kinda good in bursts, but since they mostly use the vanilla magic, casters are gonna need bajillions of energy reserve or dollars worth of power items to be consistently overwhelming "artillery mages."
Outside of combat though, some casters can probably overshadow a lot of mundane utility skills with insta-win spells, though these too can be pretty expensive.
Of course, the general wisdom is that it works best when a wizard and a martial synergize and help each other instead of race each other.
>>
>>50375805
I've said this on here before, but I started out GMing GURPS for my 8 and 6 year old brothers when I was 13. If we could handle it, then so can your players.

The main thing to do is to emphasize "roll 3d6 against your stat to do everything". Keep it super simple to start out. You might even just make all checks yourself until the get used to reading a character sheet.
You guys will be fine, just remember K.I.S.S.
>>
>>50375805
I'm actually running a game where none of my players have touched GURPS before, a few haven't played RPGs at all, one is 5 years old(one of the player's son) and we haven't had any issues, though that's probably mostly because I'm handling people's character sheets and they're just saying what they want to do and rolling dice.
>>
>>50375805
It can be done.

I enjoy new players, they have a sense of wonder about the game....
>>
>>50378896
Do you think this would still apply for the most part with an alternate magic system, like Sorcery or RPM?
>>
>>50379318
>one is 5 years old
roll vs self control to not say "POOP" at the table
>>
>>50379351

A sorcerer with 50 points to hardcore improvise with and a reliable check to succeed is going to roll shit really fucking hard unless you go full Nazi as a GM and start banning all sorts of spells.

Try reigning in the sorcerer by forcing him to have a grimoire of researched improv spells.
>>
>>50379807
The biggest issue I've had with the kid is how bloodthristy he gets. All he wants to do is kill and destroy. Luckily he mostly only kills and destroys his enemies and things that need to be destroyed. I gave him the quirk version of bloodthristy just because he was "roleplaying" it already.
>>
>>50374484
The mace hits hard and is dirt cheap. Unbalanced matters less with a shield to block, and lots of TL3 armor is weak to cr damage
>>
>>50381539
Unbalanced still matters, even with a shield. Multiple blocks are heavily penalized, if allowed, so that parry is very nice to have. Turn your sword sideways to have it do crushing damage for no damage loss. As for hitting hard, the mace requires 12 strength, which could be points better spent in your broadsword skill to deceptive attack/aim for important, unarmed hit locations for cutting damage.
>>
>>50374484
>>50381916
>single combat
>broadsword
>not using a rapier
It's like you hate winning.
>>
>>50382258
TL3, meaning jian's the only rapier, which any GM is well within their right to deny for being a fancy eastern weapon in their TL3 game if it's not set in asia. You could use a short staff if you wanted it to break every time you parried, of course. Fencing weapons are also unable to parry flails without optional rules from Martial Arts.
>>
>>50382258
>TL3
>rapier
Burn in hell, you devilwhore
>>
File: 1407191024645.gif (171KB, 583x945px) Image search: [Google]
1407191024645.gif
171KB, 583x945px
>>50381916

I think the point about ST is the most telling. The +3 is nice, but a mace requires a big investment of ST and locks you out of damage upgrades like Fine or Very Fine materials.

For TL 3 combat, I'm slightly tempted by a greatsword at higher ST. You need to get real fucking technical, but compared to shield + anything it's one skill rather then two and you get some hardcore use out of zoning.

Axe/Mace likely is the most versatile skill for TL 3 combat. You get a lot of options, thrown weapons and different damage types. Swords remain a great high end option and like you said, the defense is nice.
>>
File: 1478223752484.jpg (2MB, 2714x2604px) Image search: [Google]
1478223752484.jpg
2MB, 2714x2604px
>>50383218
..It's also a way to make rapier-guys cry when they thoughtlessly go for a parry on a 7 pound weapon.
>>
>>50383350
>implying rapier-guy wouldn't just stop hit you when you try to wiggle your Range 1 stick towards them
Srsly, you'd better bring fucking spear if you want to have any chance to win.
>>
>>50383218
>polearms STRONK crush TINY swords
Say that to my halberd.
>>
>>50383403
>Thinks a greatsword has Reach 1

This is why you died.
>>
>>50383533
I thought we are still talking about axe/mace skill. You didn't even post two-hander.
Yeah, greatsword would be a problem, but it really boils down to individual skill at this point. On battlefield you can expect rapier user to have shield or keep rapier as secondary weapon to firearm.
>>
File: 1426373404653.jpg (157KB, 900x591px) Image search: [Google]
1426373404653.jpg
157KB, 900x591px
Any recommendations or guidance on running GRUPS traveller?
>>
Would you prefer a high-power TL9 mercenary campaign based on a mix of Blindsight and Dishonored with a roaring 20s/art deco aesthetic set 5 years after WW4 to be set in a post-Yellowstone eruption North America in its own version of the Russian Civil war, or a cluster of habitats and repositioned asteroids at L5?
>>
>>50383889
The rapier wasn't a battle field weapon. It was only suited for fighting lightly-to-unarmored opponents. Rapier fighting was strictly a civilian style. Even longswords were something of a status weapon, meant to look more intimidating than offer any substantial advantage. Polearms and spears were the real killing weapons. That and the cavalry which chased down routing enemies.
>>
File: Eleanor Bolling como vamar_ss.jpg (99KB, 693x425px) Image search: [Google]
Eleanor Bolling como vamar_ss.jpg
99KB, 693x425px
>>50384078
The first one, I think. Space is awesome but it would feel like Gundam.
>>
>>50384116
Rapiers saw significant use as battlefield weapons in the hands of musketeers and others armed with pre-bayonet guns. As a sidearm, yes, but a long and well balanced sword was useful in open ground.

>Longswords

Were absoloutly used, and were very, very effective in situations where pikes were unwieldy. They weren't common, but were very much a thing.
>>
>Adventure idea: The good news is that the hero’s biomecha has formed a deep and loving bond with him. Bad news? These emotions have made it jealous; if the hero dons another biomecha unit, his loving vessel could go berserk.
It's just like my favorite anime!
>>
File: giphy.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>50384196
>very, very effective where pikes were unwieldy.
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. (I couldn't resist).

Where pikes were unwieldy, the infantry used small swords which GURPS would call short swords. As for the prevalence of longswords, longswords were more of a chivalrous weapon that later became popular with civilians (coexisting with the rapier). The greatsword was a battlefield weapon but was under severe competition with just as good but much less expensive polearms (halberds, glaives, etc). It was also popular with bodyguards which probably explains its battlefield advantage, i.e. it was more intimidating than a polearm when it came to fighting alongside pikes (most causalities in a medieval battle come from running down routing enemies and infected wounds).

As for the sidearms of musketeers, I've never heard of early musketeers predominately using rapiers on the battlefield. From what I hear, they were more likely to use their musket as a two-handed club than use a rapier (which by the way is not well suited to fighting in very close quarters) or use the equivalent of broadsword/shortsword. Late musketeers certainly did use the rapier, but we're no longer pike and shot at that point so the rapier was more a social trapping.
>>
>>50384951
You sexual deviant
I love it
>>
>>50384951
>Neon Genesis Future Diary
>>
Hi /gurpsgen/

I've been hearing about GURPS for a loong time on /tg/, but I never really bothered to look at it, mostly sticking to DnD 5e and Shadowrun.

But I've had some game ideas kicking around in my head, and I'd like to explore a new system.

Tell me, which of these would work best in GURPS?:

>harry potter noir set in prohibition-era new york, a la Fantastic Beasts except with mafia gang clashes and magical bootleggers. Harry potter magic, with wands and shit.

>modern-day mercenary team kicked around different clients by their merc corp, an arms dealer one day, international drug dealer the next, maybe even a dictator or two. Combat with handguns and rifles, would take place in heavy urban areas and yachts

>Edo period weaboo-wank Japan with samurai lords and shit, where the players basically explore Warring States Japan with ronin characters while acting like badasses. Maybe mix it with guns, a la Samurai Champloo.

>Ice skating. Not sure how I want that to be, but I know I want it.
>>
>>50385012
As if the Ikari family wasn't fucked up enough.
>>
>>50385167
>>modern-day mercenary team kicked around different clients by their merc corp, an arms dealer one day, international drug dealer the next, maybe even a dictator or two. Combat with handguns and rifles, would take place in heavy urban areas and yachts
You can use GURPS Action series for that, and you wouldn't need to build anything besides adventure itself. It includes character templates, so it simplifies character creation for new players.
>>
>>50385167
2 would capitalize on GURPS's strengths the most -- modern gunplay, gritty tone, and rules to cover whatever sort of situation the party finds itself embroiled in. 1 and 3 would be pretty good; the system has rules for very in-depth maker fights and a shitton of tools for customizing your setting's magic. 4 is the only one I recommend not doing in GURPS; unless by "ice skating" you mean "frost-themed Tribes shootouts," your campaign is probably going to be a more chill SoL, and those sorts of games are better suited by rule systems that are very abstract and sort of just get out of the way IMO.
>>
>>50385167
All of that besides ice skating sounds like fun in GURPS. I'm actually doing prohibition era supers and that's going well, it's great having historical weapons mixed with supernatural powers.

VeloCITY might work for ice skating, I dunno.
>>50378655
>>
>>50384078
How are you going to manage art deco post apocylyptia?
>>
>>50386387
Whoever made that image has played way too much Rimworld.
>>
>>50386387
Sine the eruption us supposed to have been channelled into a reactor which then leaked ~30 percent of the eruption and led to the reality fuckery that leads to Dishonored-style magic in the world, it's not necessarily post apocalyptic. It's more 5-10 years away from the Apocalypse in the "Most of the US west of the Rockies and the Pacific rim is a volcanic wasteland and the world is in the middle of a nuclear autumn" sense. So you can still see the angular, neo Roman black and gold aesthetic in the vehicle, armor, and cybernetic design, as well as the odd architecture you come across. Most of the action would be in the ruins of the West Coast, working with and against Demarchists, Neo-Fascists, Hive-Minded Unitarians, and Chinese, Korean, Indian, and Russian intervention forces.
>>
>>50385167
>>50385557
>>50385732
>not knowing about GURPS: Cabaret Chicks on Ice
Get out.
>>
File: Metal Gear Solid 4 51.jpg (141KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear Solid 4 51.jpg
141KB, 1600x900px
Are there any stats for an unmanned surveillance drone in GURPS? It does not matter if it is normal gear, built as an Ally, or built as a Gadget: i'll take it.
>>
>>50352717
>not just GURPS High tech weapons with ETC from ultra tech being the standard, and add ETK for the "latest in advanced killery"

>>50385167
Reminder to use GURPS: Martial Arts if you want #3. Especially with the EXTREME DISMEMBERMENT rules so you can go full Zatoichi.
>>
File: IBSF_Rifle_905.jpg (255KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
IBSF_Rifle_905.jpg
255KB, 800x1131px
Why is it that people dislike Ultra Techs weapons so much? How much better if an option is to just apply ETC to TL8 firearms?
>>
>>50387231
It was the first GURPS supplement and it shows. Numbers are just so out of whack.
>>
>>50385167
#2 is my personal preference.
If you want the players commanding squads of infantry, check out Mass Combat (for full Peace Walker level shenanigans.)
There's also a Traveller book, an older one I think covering mercenary operations. It's meant for space campaigns, but a huge ton of it applies to everything. (Types of missions, example mercenary groups, typical pay, mercenary lingo and organisation.
Good luck with the campaign, whatever you run, by the way. I'm in a similar boat as you when it comes to GURPS. (Never played but had interest in a long time.)
>>
>>50387231
GURPS Ultratech and Magic are probably the worst supplements IMHO.
>>
>>50387231

>implying TL8 firearms wouldn't turn into handheld frag grenades if you used ETC

That's my ruling on pre-TL9 ETC.
>>
My biggest beef with Ultratech is how some weapons are completely useless when put next to armor, until you add HEMP rounds, in which case all armor becomes useless. At the same time, not having armor puts lasers in "aim and kill player" territory.

Nothing in-between. Just kill or do nothing.
>>
>>50387860
Why?
And what prevents you from having a TL9 replica of a TL8 or below weapon, capable of handing ETC?
>>
>>50388648

My explanation is that ETC propellants release more energy than TL8 propellants, which exceeds what they're designed to handle - the chamber pressure is too high. Best-case scenario, the case expands too much and jams in the chamber. Worse case scenario, the case and chamber explode and you get shrapnel in your eye.

TL9 replicas of TL8 weapons would... probably just be normal TL9 weapons, no?
>>
>>50388677
And you really think then the standard ETC treatment to pre-TL9 weapons wouldn't include some tweaks and spare parts to get rid of this problem?
>>
>>50388531
Have you run the numbers on these, and compared them with numbers run for High-Tech and Low-Tech? I've never actually seen anyone do that, just claim that it's the case.
>>
>>50389357
I did it. Etc is fine. ETK is pants on head retarded. X2 cost is way too low. X10 would be better.
>>
>>50389373
ETK?
>>
>>50389373

>ETK

They left it out for a reason, why does anyone think it's relevant?
>>
File: 1439467052615.jpg (110KB, 430x330px) Image search: [Google]
1439467052615.jpg
110KB, 430x330px
>>50389357

Actually I did, but it was some time ago. And I did mostly compare the numbers against a full exoskeleton battlesuit.

Basically:
>Lasers are useless against battlesuits, but way to effective against uncovered bodyparts
>Normal guns are mostly useless against battlesuit, though one of the absolutely best ones might have done some damage
>HEMP rounds in a shotgun turns a battlesuit into an eggshell

Also:
>Superfine Vibroblade halberds in the hands of a battlesuited warrior is a surprisingly effective weapon
>>
File: TL8to10.png (72KB, 1022x1169px) Image search: [Google]
TL8to10.png
72KB, 1022x1169px
Pretty sure I fucked up somewhere. It should be average damage after the wounding modifier (x1,5 for pi+, x0,5 for pi-, x2 for imp, x4 for head shots).
Didn't bother with heavy clamshell and combat hardsuits as their DR was close to vest+plates. Couldn't be arsed doing TL11 but quickly looked at what HEMP does there, 15mm HEMP off the anti-matériel rifle pens all, including dreadnought battlesuit with 200 DR. 10mm HEMP doesn't but still pens a TL11 vest+plates or heavy clamshell, and TL11 10mm HEMP can penetrate a TL10 heavy battlesuit's DR.
>>
>>50386647
Alright, so now I know this is a nickname for Low-Tech . . . But why?
>>
>>50390494
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=806722&postcount=158

>>50390171
This would be a lot better if you made it on a spreadsheet. It's hard to read.
>>
>want to run GURPS
>all my potential players hate GURPS because of memes
>they refuse to even try it
Why even fucking live
>>
File: 1362618998285.jpg (225KB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
1362618998285.jpg
225KB, 1024x1325px
>>50390080
My UT house rules run to making personal laser weapons TL ^ and TL 9+ armor composites having Hardened (5) vs shaped charge weapons.
>>
>>50393229
There's always roll20 friend. What kind of game do you want to run?
>>
>>50393287

Sounds pretty sensible to be honest.

Especially the lasers are complete bullcrap. The HEMP rounds I can live with, but the effect lasers have if put in the hands on anyone is annoying because it makes it way too easy for even the most inept to blow away your arms and legs.

It's also not very realistic that a laser handgun would have that much accuracy.
>>
>>50393301
Cyberworld+Vampire the masquerade
I posted about here a few times I think.

And I really do not want to play with randoms. I have only had bad experience with randoms
>>
>>50393325
You'd also cook yourself like a lizard on a skillet if you fired one. Laser simply aren't very thermally efficient, so every time you pulled the trigger of a kilowatt-class laser your laser would be dumping two kilowatts of thermal energy into the air around you. To make it work you'd need something to handle the heat. The needed heat sink and radiator would be larger then the weapon.
>>
>>50393461
It's a futuristic heat sink and radiator, it's compact enough to fit in the weapon, Anon.
>>
/GURPSGen/, I need help. What stats would a 4-bore African hunting rifle have?
>>
>>50393446
>I have only had bad experience with randoms
Well I have almost-nothing but good experiences with Randoms.

Maybe you should give it a try, prude.
>>
>>50393609

heat sinks and radiator's aren't something you can just "magic science" into being without literally magic science, which makes the tech a legit case for a ^ imo.
>>
File: L1008559.jpg (563KB, 1500x1016px) Image search: [Google]
L1008559.jpg
563KB, 1500x1016px
>>50393769
>Holland & Holland double 4-bore
>Weight: 19.5 pounds
>ST 15t
>Rcl 10
>Bulk -6
>Shots 2(3i)
>ROF 2
>Acc 4
>Damage 10d pi++
>Range 200/2000
>Cost $7,000
>TL 5
>LC 3

>Human for scale in picture.
>>
>>50394167
>Even the trigger guard and trigger are way too big

Serious question: Is this a gun for fucking giants?
>>
>>50394167
Thank you Anon <3<3
>>
>>50394167
Approved :D
[it will be needed]
>>
>>50393793
How is it being a prude if I've only gotten meme-spouting garbage or flakes from randoms?
>>
>>50395017
Sorry about that. You should get back on the horse and try again.
>>
>>50395621
I'd really rather stick to my regular formula; get in to a game, use that to judge if the players are good or not, then offer to run something. I've gotten in good groups from random stuff, but I have yet to get good players. Maybe I'm just cursed.
>>
File: 1449874331174.jpg (199KB, 900x837px) Image search: [Google]
1449874331174.jpg
199KB, 900x837px
Stat us.
>>
>>50397439
I stat these as the cringiest things I've ever seen.
>>
>>50397439
>Magnum rifle
>Magazine and revolving cylinder in line
retarded as fuck

>Gyrojet .51BMG
See Ultratech Gyroc
9 Gyroc LSW, 15mm 6d pi++ 2 1,900 12/3 10 30(5) 10† -4 1 $1,400 1

>Meson neutralizer
10^ Force Rifle 8d cr dkb 12 700/2,100 8/Dp 1 83(5) 7† -4 1 $4,000 3
>>
File: Armored Rider.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Armored Rider.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
/gurpsgen/ if I want to convert GURPS combat to a percentile system, what considerations should I account for?

Each +1/-1 raise/lower for a combat maneuver translates to a flat 6.66 recurring percentage. This makes it relatively easy to translate, but the bellcurve difference between 3d6 and 1d100 is what concerns me.
>>
>>50399039
>6.66 recurring
Should be 6.25. Helps if I do my math right.
>>
>>50399039
>/gurpsgen/ if I want to convert GURPS combat to a percentile system, what considerations should I account for?
wtf for
>>
>>50399124
I want to use GURPS combat maneuvers in Runequest.
>>
>>50399171
I'd just use the guidelines from Campaigns. A -1 to -2 means you're attempting something that adventurers have a slightly harder time doing. In D&D, I'd say it roughly translates to DC15 (hard for untrained people, but most starting adventurers with appropriate skills, attributes, and gear will succeed quite often). I have no experience with RQ, so I don't know what it translates to in that system, but the concept should be roughly the same: "a -X is seen as a [annoying/difficult/hard/incredible/impossible] task; in this system, tasks of that difficulty are [+Y to DC/-Y to roll/etc.]"
>>
File: Two Against Many.jpg (493KB, 738x931px) Image search: [Google]
Two Against Many.jpg
493KB, 738x931px
>>50399300
Great. Thanks for the advice, anon.
>>
Hey /GURPSgen/ I'm working on a setting wherein all magic comes from divine sources via theism or animism or what have you. GURPS fantasy describes this sort of magic on page 13. Anyway I hear the magic system from Basic and the expanded magic from GURPS Magic isn't all that great, so I'm wondering what would be the best alternate system to use. I've heard some good things from the Thaumaturgy books but I don't have enough experience in the system to judge this sort of thing for myself.
>>
OKAY GUYS, NEW TO GURPS

4th edition or 3rd edition?
>>
>>50400540
4th definitely. 4th with things like templates makes the entire thing much easier.
>>
Hey guys, in the spirit of the ever-increasing /tghp/ (harry potter) threads, I'd like to see you guys stat Harry, Ron, and Hermione in GURPS.

Let's say...

250/-100
>>
File: Crom.jpg (69KB, 800x386px) Image search: [Google]
Crom.jpg
69KB, 800x386px
>>50400924
>100pts in disadvantages
I'm not sure about this. Even 75pts is kind of stretching it for characters that aren't gibbering wrecks or cripples. 25-50pts seems more reasonable for teenagers.
>>50399474
>all that matters is that two stood against many
Is GURPS just perfect for sword and sorcery campaigns or am I insane?
>>
>>50401349
>Is GURPS just perfect for sword and sorcery campaigns or am I insane?
Personally I think GURPS is perfect for sword and sorcery campaigns where none of the PCs can use magic, or very little magic.
>>
File: 2pr7bl3.jpg (203KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2pr7bl3.jpg
203KB, 1200x1600px
>>50401427
This is very true, but it's also great for games where magic's dangerous and people might have one or two crazy tricks. In a GURPS sword and sorcery game being the guy that can cast one or two spells can be amazing.
>>
>>50399171

Why not just play GURPS then? I've GM:d both, the systems aren't that different.
>>
>>50401349

>Is GURPS just perfect for sword and sorcery campaigns or am I insane?

It has one of the best low-tech combat systems at least.

I mean, the Reign of Steel is also up there, and people keep saying that Savage World is also good (but I got no experience), but I like GURPS the most of all the systems I've tried.

My personal recommendation for Sword and Sorcery is GURPS:Martial Arts, implement committed and defensive attack, remove normal attack.
>>
>>50402194
Riddle of Steel.
Reign of Steel is the post-apoc Terminator GURPS setting, Anon.
>>
File: 1423185511352.jpg (521KB, 1176x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1423185511352.jpg
521KB, 1176x1400px
>>50402345

My bad.

I have GM:d it though. The system is fun, but it has its faults in my opinion (damage resistance doesn't really work. Either you are completely unstoppable or someone can cut you in half with a butterknife, no movement or time keeping rules makes keeping track of multiple players fairly a hassle and skills/combat skills feels disjointed and the game sort of punishes you pretty harshly for building according to concept instead of optimizing)
>>
>>50343745
Any advice for running Tech level ten/Transhuman Space mysteries?

Any advice for running the above in a solo game where the player is playing a Ghost Mind Emulation (I.e. a mind upload) that is being computed on a stationery computer with Internet access?
>>
>>50402424

Read up on how to write a mystery adventure overall. As a general idea, you want 3-5 clues and a clear way for the player to find the clues. It's fine to be slightly obvious, lots of stuff is usually lost in translation between GM to player anyway. If the player still fails to deduct what's going on, introduce a consequence that let's mystery continue (fail to figure out the murderer's identity/next victim? Kill another NPC and allow for a do over).

As for a ghost mind emulation, death isn't much of a problem. This is fine though as long as there's still consequences for failure. If death of the PC isn't the consequence for failure, then something else needs to be.
>>
>>50352726
Not that anon, but I'd enjoy reading and possibly using your homebrew.
>>
>>50393446

How could I best stat a partial cyborg (human body with some parts replaced by tech and addional tech implanted elswhere) who hunts vampires. Let's say I got 500 points to spend on this.
>>
HEY EVERYONE

PK made a post on the forums about gauss guns vs. ETC firearms. There's a lot of changes, they're trying to address the balance issues.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=147082
>>
>>50402640
ETC aren't as much of a problem as HEMP at TL10, though.
>>
File: 1426182244212.jpg (185KB, 1287x620px) Image search: [Google]
1426182244212.jpg
185KB, 1287x620px
>>50402640
Neat.. and it's an excuse to run a game with well funded power-suit marines facing a mix of a few well equipped foes and a horde of badly equipped disposable fanatics.

It's an idea I've had kicking around.
>>
>>50402926

It doesn't address HEMP. Honestly I just hit players with a rolled-up newspaper if they ask for it.
>>
The basic problem wit ultratech weapons are probably not actually the weapons themselves as much as it is the way arpen functions in GURPS.

Arpen being a divisor instead of a subtraction makes it so each improvement of arpen requires significantly more armor, which in turns leaves "worse" arpens in the dust. If arpen instead subtracted from your total DR it would probably be more manageable (and easier to calculate as well).
>>
>>50403039
Sounds like a hell of an idea for a Pyramid article, Anon. Get cracking!
>>
>>50403039
I don't hate the idea. Switch AP to providing -X to DR on impact, with for example 5.56mm AP doing 5d pi- damage and negating 18 points of DR?
>>
>>50403087

I'm not the first to suggest this here, and honestly I'm not that good at GURPS that I'd dare make a pyramid article.

I'm just repeating it to make more people think about it. I think it has several benefits, like making weapon balance easier and by moving arpen from being its own modifier to now being a limitation on innate attack (only penetrates DR, -x%).
>>
>>50403111

For instance.
>>
Has anyone tried running GURPS fantasy campaign where each fantasy race has a different tech level?

I'm thinking of doing that with humans having TL 9 (though some TL 10 cybernetics will also appear for the military), elves at TL 11, Orks at TL 6 or 7, and Goblins at TL 5.

Humans will have a hybrid theocracy/tecnocracy with a modified version of classical Deism (e.g. the clockwork universe concept) & Stoic philosophy (e.g. the uinverse has a dIvine reason to it, shun superstion and become closer to said divine reason/God vis pursing logic & reason, learn to endure through & accept suffering snd death, and work toward Apatheia) as the state religion. They consider reason divine and make extensive use of cybernetics (especially brain enhancements). Essentially, they'd be an Adeptus Mechanicus that actually knows how technology works.

The Elves, by contrast, go very far in the biotech and Epicurean direction. Meanwhile Orks and Goblins are more hedonistic and barbarous.

How might I best make that all work in a campaign? The player's will be cybernetically augmented humans. How should magic play into this?
>>
>>50393229
What are the memes

(Just got the basic set 4th edition in hardback)
>>
>>50400540
4th edition.

Though 3rd edition sourcebooks are great.
>>
>>50403149
That is a really cool idea.

I would play no magic, but one could easily add magic to it for a more shadowrun feel.
>>
>>50402424

The Transhuman Mysteries book is pretty good - and it has a sample adventure set in a Fifth Wave city.
>>
>>50404556
/r/-ing the 'Toxic Memes' image.
>>
>>50403039

I think it's the way DR works that is the problem you see, you get away with significantly less armor if you convert armor to dice and subtract.

That's not the problem with Ultra-Tech though, arpen and armor values aren't an inherent problem, it's the lack of balance between types of weapons and lack of variation and setting options that's the issue. Gauss weapons aside from Gauss pistol shotgun are woefully inadequate when compared to their ETC counterparts in every way, and all beam weapons lose out to both once you get to antimatter-warhead pistol rounds and HEMP and the like to bring up just the two most glaring issues.
>>
File: 1442267750988.png (1MB, 861x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1442267750988.png
1MB, 861x1169px
>>50404848
>>
>>50404880

>Gauss weapons aside from Gauss pistol shotgun are woefully inadequate when compared to their ETC counterparts in every way

May I direct you to >>50402640 for a possible solution SJG has offered. They're asking for feedback to improve it, since they're well aware that there's almost no reason to use gauss guns over ETC firearms.

>antimatter-tipped pistol rounds

I'm quite sure you couldn't hit the target from far enough away without also getting either vaporised or irradiated to death.
>>
>>50404880

Also what the hell kind of game are you playing that your GM will let you have anitmatter-tipped rounds on the regular?
>>
>>50404892
This reminds me, has someone written some decent rules for designing vehicles in 4e?
>>
>>50404892
3e vehicles was kinda bad
>>
>>50405023

Default Ultra Tech TL 12 assumption. They're a few $ each.
>>
>>50405144
>Default Ultra Tech TL 12
>Space wizards being dicks to each other
>>
>>50405144

>if it's in the book, you can have it

That's not how GURPS works. You only get them if GM says yes. Also, they're LC0. They're as easy for civvies to get their hands on as it is for you to get weapons-grade plutonium right now.
>>
File: BoMHLjL.png (3MB, 896x1349px) Image search: [Google]
BoMHLjL.png
3MB, 896x1349px
Ran stargate 1888 last night.

The party settled in on the new colony. New player/old player joins up as Colonel Grimsby, a semi retired British office who pulled rank to get a ticket to the gate. He brings 4bore rifling and a manservant to the group. He is deemed "lead explorer". The party putters for 3 days then is shuffled through the gate. On the other side, a purple sky, red and orange clouds, and more jungle in all directions. Big pyramid on the horizon.

But the most pressing concern is SAVAGE MAN WITH A KNIFE. He screams a cry that disables all their translation devices, and pounces...and takes a critical max damage face shot. The party investigates, he's scarred up, was hacking a skinless guy out of a meatspace, and his knife has writing on it(yay lexicographers). Hes dying from headshot, so the morphine kiss him to the next world.
The party debates and mutters, and plunges on to the pyramid, uneasy.

And that was 4 hours. The translators are chomping at the bit, and one guy afk/slept by accident, but he apologised and did warn me he had a terrible shift, so no loss there. All I all, a good 4 hour night
>>
>>50405273

Exactly, and the problem with Ultra Tech is that you have to exclude or modify so much of the little content there is, you're not left with much.

Given that antimatter rounds are a little over $5 a shot it makes sense that they'd be at least squad-level.
>>
>>50405475
This is why I run lower tech with the occasional cool ultra tech.
>>
>>50405508
>>50405475
It's always easier to say "no, but..."

Exclusion with limited inclusion is easier to run than all inclusive
>>
>>50399039
>6.66
>4chan math
>>
>>50405012
>I'm quite sure you couldn't hit the target from far enough away without also getting either vaporised or irradiated to death.

With the small 0.1 microgram load, 100 yards away the damage is 6d tox rad.
200 yards and the damage is only 1d+1 tox rad or thereabouts.
300 yards and the damage is something like 1d-2 tox rad.
Somewhere after that, damage drops off to 0.

1000 yards with the larger 1 microgram load and damage is also 1d-2 tox sur.

Pistols have a max range of 2000, 2600 for the 15mm magnum. Multiply by half for ETC.
Gauss shotgun pistols also qualify, but have only 1000 range.

So as you can see, even if the area of effect seems huge at first, the damage falloff means it's well within the range of your weapon.
And of course you don't have to score a direct hit, your opponent is also vaporized and/or irradiated, a hit within, say, 10 yards with the smaller load is still 6d x100 tox rad, similar results can be reached at just over 30 yards with the medium 1 microgram warhead.
>>
>>50406011
>Multiply by half for ETC.
derp. Multiply by one and a half for ETC.
>>
File: Telmori.jpg (296KB, 1024x1428px) Image search: [Google]
Telmori.jpg
296KB, 1024x1428px
>>50401686

I honestly want to, but I am (perhaps needlessly) intimidated by converting all of the stuff for Glorantha into GURPS terms.

It seems like it would be much less work to add combat maneuvers to Runequest than it would be to stat up all of Runequest's cults and monsters, even if I only did it piece by piece as needed.

>>50402194

Why remove normal attack?
>>
>>50405475

I agree this is one of the problems with ultratech as well. You basically have to go through the weapon/armor selection weapon by weapon and give your players a separate document on what's kosher or not.

Too much fucking work that I don't have to do when I use Low-tech or High-tech.
>>
>>50406331

>Why remove normal attack

It's too good an option compared to defensive and committed attack. With normal attacks you get good offense while keeping your retreat.

Without attack, the best "default option" becomes a defensive attack, but those actually hurt your damage output, which can matter a lot when fighting against someone with armor (a drop of 1 damage might make the difference between a crippled limb or not).

>>50406331

>It seems like it would be much less work to add combat maneuvers to Runequest than it would be to stat up all of Runequest's cults and monsters, even if I only did it piece by piece as needed.

That means you are using too advanced NPC templates.

Just jot down a handful of numbers at most. ST, DX, IQ, HT, general skill level covering all the things they do (one number is fine here), weapon skill and defenses. Note special advantages they might have.

This takes like 5 minutes per NPC once you have premade formula you can just fill in.

You aren't supposed to be as elaborate as with player characters.
>>
On the topic of Gauss weapons, would it be reasonable to introduce something like pic related? (It would effectively just be APEX that retains the armour divisor of 3, I guess)
>>
>>50406646
So theres a followup explosion after penetration, triggered on water/diluted fluids like blood?
BRUTAL
>>
File: Siege of Nochet.jpg (572KB, 854x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Siege of Nochet.jpg
572KB, 854x1078px
>>50406434

So it's just to inject a little more choice into combat and force people to consider their options rather than fall back on "attack, attack, attack"? Is that a suggestion in the rules or something you've found to be helpful on your own?

>>50406434

Okay. I'll keep an open mind about it. I'm getting the basic set here in a few days and probably going to start doing a few playtests within the next week or two.
>>
>>50405628
Just say no with no buts.
>>
>>50406914

It might have been suggested somewhere in Martial Arts, but I can't find a page to reference for the moment, so just assume it's my own homerule. It's a conclusion I've made myself after having GM:ed and participated in multiple campaigns.

It's very easy to get caught in a "attack, attack, attack" routine. This breaks that routines and forces you to weight pros and cons of every attack and adds even more depth to melee fighting.

You can also consider letting skills be more relevant for figuring out an opponent's DR and HP. Maybe armor connoisseur to know the exact DR they got? And physiology to figure out HP? Let them roll on an evaluate action. That way you can allow players to play "smart fighters".
>>
How do I run a Harry Potter campaign in GURPS?

I'm thinking of a world where magic is freeform, but most basic spells have incantations. Wandless magic and silent magic is possible, but hard.
>>
>>50343745
So is there any document that lists all traits with what they do, other than just "reference at page X"?
>>
>>50407760
Fuck I worded it wrong.

I mean tried to Google that kind of list but it was all lists with references to actual documents, and there seems to be no wiki for GURPS I can find.
>>
File: Humakti Duel.jpg (364KB, 738x931px) Image search: [Google]
Humakti Duel.jpg
364KB, 738x931px
>>50407351

Maybe combine that skill use with the "Evaluate" maneuver? Seems like something samurai would do in a duel
>>
>>50407749
certainly ritual path magic with token/wands and trappings of the like?
>>
>>50407749
>>50407962
I don't know. I might go with spells as skills. Learning each takes considerable class time and each named spell has a distinct effect. Knowing a curse, counter-curse or spell is very useful.

Everyone starts with magic that requires the wand, but can buy up advantages that lets them cast without a wand.
>>
What skills would an avid hunter likely have?
>>
>>50408499
A high Hunting! skill.
>>
File: 1466037529457.jpg (188KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1466037529457.jpg
188KB, 2048x1228px
>>50408499
Tracking
survival
weapons relevant
Biology(zoology)
naturalist
navigation (land)
camouflage
STEALTH!!!
>>
>>50408499
A high Avid! skill.
>>
>>50408499
The Avid template

plus stealth
weapon skill
survival or butchery skills
>>
>>50407816

>Maybe combine that skill use with the "Evaluate" maneuver? Seems like something samurai would do in a duel

I was supposed to write that, but then I forgot. Shit.

But yeah, something like that.
>>
File: 600px-TerraformedMoonFromEarth.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600px-TerraformedMoonFromEarth.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
Would life on a moon feel different to a planet?
>>
>>50411499
Probably, I dunno. Maybe.
>>
Can some one explain aiming to me?

Like, if I have an acc 1 pistol, put an acc 5 scope on it, and then brace it, do I have 1 + 5 + 1, or do I just have 1 + 1 because the pistol's base acc is only 1, meaning it can't gain any additional accuracy past what it's base acc is?

Or am I misunderstanding this?
>>
>>50411499
Tides would be incredibly more dramatic, assuming you were captured by a sufficiently large planet.

and if that planet had strong mag fields, like Jupiter...
>>
>>50411499
Low gravity would allow some crazy architecture.
Various health problems for those who isn't adapted.
Longer nights because quite often your planet will cover the sun, so day-night cycle has to be simulated with artificial lighting for those who want it. There are no "night shifts" because of that, you just have x hours of work and y hours of break. Also energy problems since cheap sun energy isn't easily available.
Lesser available space may lead to overpopulation.
>>
File: 1431110012792.png (1MB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1431110012792.png
1MB, 640x960px
>>50411775
Aim is covered on page 364, and Scopes are covered on page 412 of the basic set, but you pretty much have it right.

When you Aim you get a bonus to hit with your next attack equal to your Acc of the weapon. You can also aim for longer to get a larger bonus, +1 extra at two seconds, or +2 for three or more seconds.

But ad you noted, the combined bonuses from all targeting systems, scopes, sights, computers, ect is limited to the base Acc of the weapon.

So in your example, You'd get +1 (base Acc), +1 (Braced) and +1 (Scope) for a total of +3.

To get the bonus you'd need to spend time aiming. If the scope is variable power you'd need to spend 2 seconds to aim, if it is fixed power you'd need to spend 6 seconds aiming, despite only getting +1. (And you'd have put a x32 power scope on a crappy pistol, for some reason).

You could spend extra time aiming, getting up to +2 by spending 3 extra seconds. This means 5 seconds with a variable power scope to get a total of +5 in a best case.
>>
File: 1427415679880.jpg (424KB, 1920x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1427415679880.jpg
424KB, 1920x1108px
>>50411946
>Longer nights because quite often your planet will cover the sun

There's only 3-10 lunar eclipses a year in the Earth/Luna system. They'd be neat, and given that they only last about an hour and a half, would cost you little daylight.

Technically there's no reason a different moon then ours couldn't have higher gravity, greater size and a day length equal to Earth's.

>>50411777
Tidal effects would be dependent on the orbital distance and the size of the larger planet, yep.
>>
>>50412029
That was a super convoluted explanation
>>
>>50412155
It's hard to explain simply, given how scopes, Aiming and extra time work.
>>
>>50412029
>Weapons outfitters
0/10
>>
>>50412291
>not liking based rose and doggo

You gay, son?
>>
>>50412394
>Liking shitty tacticool guns with very average looking "alternative" women
No anon, your gay
>>
>>50412155
The Barrett M82A1 has Acc 6+3. The 6 is the base Accuracy, the +3 is from a variable-power scope. Scopes can be fixed or variable. You take as many Aim maneuvers as the power of your Scope to get its full bonus, i.e. 3 Aims to get all of the Barrett M82A1 scope's bonus. You can get partial bonus with a variable-power scope. You cannot get partial bonus with fixed power. Fixed requires you to take as many Aim maneuvers as its bonus to get any bonus at all from the scope. Here's a worked example of the Barrett M82A1:
>Turn 1
>You're Prone with your Barrett M82A1 shooting Enemy. Take an Aim maneuver. Your next attack gains +6 (Base accuracy bonus) +1 (Scope bonus) +1 (Brace bonus).
>Turn 2
>Take another Aim maneuver. Your attack now gets +1 (Scope bonus) +1 (Extended Aim bonus).
>Turn 3
>Take a third Aim maneuver. Your attack now gets +1 (Scope bonus) +1 (Extended Aim bonus).

By Turn 3, you now have +6 (Base accuracy), +3 (Full scope bonus earned over 3 Aims), +1 (Braced due to prone + bipod), +2 (two extra Aim maneuvers past the first) for a total of +12. Assuming you're a good sniper with Guns (Rifle)-14, you're shooting at Guns (Rifle)-26 to attack Enemy. But, you can take an All-Out Attack (Determined) for ranged attacks to gain a further +1.

If you were using a fixed-power scope, you would only gain the +3 scope bonus on turn 3 when you took your third Aim maneuver. If you shot on turn 1 or turn 2, you would not receive your scope's bonus, or the extended aim bonus.

Therefore, you have Guns (Rifle)-27. if Enemy is 300 yards out, you can aim for center mass at Guns Rifle)-14 (27 - 13 for range penalties = 14), which is close to a guaranteed hit.

Makes sense?
>>
>>50412897
>or the extended aim bonus.
Or the full* extended aim bonus, for turn 2. You'd only get +1 for it.
>>
Gurps for magical girls?
>>
>>50412918
Yes, GURPS for magical girls. Basic Set + Powers + Supers, throw in Martial Arts for good measure. Transformations are done via Alternate Form.
>>
File: 1429472619144.jpg (419KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1429472619144.jpg
419KB, 800x1200px
>>50412897
The magnification of a scope, if it matters, is just powers of 2. So a x2 scope gives +1, an x4 scope gives +2, an x8 scope gives +3, ect.

>>50412431
There's nothing really alt about most WO models. Zero ink or body mods. The build quality of their guns is high but their prices are high for what you get.

And that dog is fucking adorable.

>>50412918

Dwarfism is a great disadvantage for magic girl. In return for being short as hell and slower you get -1 to everyone's attacks, easier hiding, better cover and much cheaper armor.
>>
File: 3284662575_c301598b84_z.jpg (65KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
3284662575_c301598b84_z.jpg
65KB, 500x319px
>>50413230
>The build quality of their guns is high
Too bad they look like garbage
And I hate dogs
>>
>>50413366
>I hate fun the post

Those dubs are wasted on you.
>>
File: AVHtRlb_zpsjvqg7xkk.jpg (154KB, 763x524px) Image search: [Google]
AVHtRlb_zpsjvqg7xkk.jpg
154KB, 763x524px
>>50413418
No anon, shitty tacticool is not fun
Battle Rifles are fun
>>
File: 2309573496.jpg (506KB, 2060x1236px) Image search: [Google]
2309573496.jpg
506KB, 2060x1236px
Okay so I'm making a DX/IQ based cowboy and I have 50 points to buy powers with. What would fit the theme?
>>
>>50413554
>Powers
Like supernatural abilities? Cinematic advantages? Mundane ones? Buying techniques up to full?
Also, actual-cowboy cowboy or gunslinger-in-a-ten-gallon-hat cowboy? Because one needs to focus on outdoorsman and animal-handling skills while the other needs to pump it all in to Gunslinger, Guns (Pistol), and Fast-Draw (Pistol/Ammo).
>>
>>50413554
Tactics and several Standard Operating Procedure perks are great. SOP: Always reload after combat and SOP: Careful Movement means you pretty much always start combat in reach of good cover and with fully loaded guns.
>>
>>50412029
I like this image.

>>50413439
Reminds me, I might need to make a "Gurps Fireforce" setting, where you are a rhodie taking out floppies.
>>
>>50414521
I just use Merc 2000's setting for that.
>>
>>50402456
Well, I will give you a summary.

players are told to make normal PCs for a camping trip. They think it going to be a spooky game or such.

they are in the cabin in the woods when they see flashes in the distance, radio goes out for a little while, then it gives alert that there has been a nuclear exchange.

Suddenly its a survival game as they might try to get home, deal with the damage, and deal with the mayhem.

The three factions was "The Loot Crew", the San Padre PD and Militia, and the Freemen. China also lauched bioweapons, and the game ended up getting all three factions together to hold the line from some mutant freaks who came out of LA.
>>
>>50413757
>>50413852
More like supernatural abilities, really. He's a gunslinger/bounty hunter type of character, but I also need a special, supernatural twist.
>>
File: photo_rhodesian_01.jpg (27KB, 640x378px) Image search: [Google]
photo_rhodesian_01.jpg
27KB, 640x378px
>>50414588
That would work -- I was thinking of modernizing it to a near future setting, where Rhodesia and south africa was facing off vs islamic types instead of commies.
>>
File: Merc2000-Map.gif (3MB, 2511x2747px) Image search: [Google]
Merc2000-Map.gif
3MB, 2511x2747px
>>50414640
I've always thought that it should be kept in the early 90s feeling setting. For some reason I've always thought mercs were best in the cold war. Maybe because it was less based on companies and such and more on individuals.
>>
>>50414689
That is a good point, you can also have them get drunk and wake up signed up to the Rhodesian Light Infantry.

If you want to get inspired for such a campaign, read "Three sips of Gin"
>>
File: 1436317327415.jpg (68KB, 564x400px) Image search: [Google]
1436317327415.jpg
68KB, 564x400px
>>50414631
With 50 points?

Injury Tolerance (Unliveing) + No Vitals + No Brain is 30 points and is a nasty shock to anyone that tries to stop you with a gun. Maybe play it off as a man that made a deal with the devil or death and won't be doing any dying.

This also leaves you with space for Luck, something no gunslinger should be without.
>>
What's the best "learning/teaching GURPs" resource out there (written or video)? I've got the book, but it reads like a 300 page encyclopedia on social statuses, handedness, and dick armor.

There's gotta be a simpler way for me to learn how this game works, teach the basics to the table, guide them through character creation, and play a few sessions. Should I start with GURPs Lite and go from there?

Also, how big of an impact does playing with a grid/miniatures have? Shying away from it, since I played a shitload of dnd 5e and the grid combat in that seems needlessly complex and cumbersome for the sake of nostalgia. Rarely did I find the grid adding meaningful decisions to combat that couldn't be inferred by the GM saying "there's a big fucking pit in the corner of the room, go nuts with it."
>>
>>50415946
There's a few combat examples here: http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

Outside of that, the best we have is "READ GURPS LITE/HOW TO BE A GURPS GM AND ASK US QUESTIONS." As far a complete and worked example of a short game in GURPS, I can't think of any. People find Shooting Dice's play-by-play of movie combat scenes helpful, but again, that's combat.

You could try that Caravan to Ein Arris adventure. I don't know if it has templates; if it doesn't, you could try the Dungeon Fantasy Henchmen book to get 125~point templates for players. But reading GURPS templates is like washing your eyes with pepper spray.

As for maps, GURPS plays best with tactical combat on a hex map, in my opinion. Some people think that playing it all in their head is a good idea, but I hate it because it quickly becomes confusing and I have to stop and ask/tell everywhere where everyone/thing is. In GURPS, positioning/facing/etc. matters a hell of a lot more than it ever could in 5e D&D.
>>
File: 1479587534963.png (17KB, 310x144px) Image search: [Google]
1479587534963.png
17KB, 310x144px
Somebody knows where is from?
>>
>>50416188
newest pyramid. pulver.
>>
>>50416041
Awesome. I hadn't seen How to be a GURPs GM. I'll read through that and Lite first.

And thank god about the map mattering. I'm not opposed to playing on a map with miniatures, I just hate when it contributes absolutely nothing to the gameplay. What's the best set of rules to introduce players to combat with the grid, but ignoring the more complex reload/kickback/jamming rules that can wait until later?
>>
>>50416514
How to be a GURPS GM actually covers this, I think. Somewhere there's a section on how many rules to include for how complex you want combat to be. Customizing Combat, pg. 41. Balanced is when you add in hexes instead of movement. It won't take long to reach that point, if you don't start at it. I started my players with Balanced, and they were fine with it.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.