[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about the peasants and commoners of your setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 41

File: 1479660201236.gif (687KB, 249x320px) Image search: [Google]
1479660201236.gif
687KB, 249x320px
Tell me about the peasants and commoners of your setting
>>
>>50340312

They reproduce by anal sex.
>>
>>50340323
That sounds, unsanitary.
>>
>>50340312

They're used to power carts, weapons, provide food...

Is my setting...peasant punk?
>>
>>50340312
They all got raped to death in the great edgeocalypse. Truly tragic.
>>
File: map of Penlac update.png (34KB, 1896x854px) Image search: [Google]
map of Penlac update.png
34KB, 1896x854px
>>50340312
They are slowly emerging from a Dark Age that swept across much of the setting. So they go with a large amount of optimism despite still being serfs and conscripts. Some elders are still alive to recount what it was like moving place to place trying to avoid the last of the goblin hordes still roaming across the plains.

They are incredibly religious but very tolerant thanks to the general religion being one of conversion through inclusion. It's worked so far and it makes for villages on both the north and south part of the continent to have at least one thing in common: their faith. They farm grains of all kinds: with barley and wheat being the two most common.

They still try to produce their own clothing, but growing city centers mean that enough artisans are producing clothing to make it cheap enough for most to buy rather than self-produce. The current fashion for men is a cone shaped felt had with a decent sized brim. The stiffer, straighter brims are considered the coolest - worn, floppy brims look cheap or old. Women have taken to fans produced by communities in the south. Washi paper and bamboo handles come in a few colors, but the teal and orange combination are the fan favorite. They are the imperial colors after all.
>>
>>50340890
Depends can peasants power railguns through rules exploits?
>>
Commoners are only one small step away from being adventurers. One day the spotlight will be put on them and for better or for worse they will be given an opportunity for greatness.
>>
>>50340312
There's currently 2 factions within the imperial city. One faction wants equality of outcome, and the other faction wants equality of opportunity.

One side calls the others bigots, and the other side calls the others idiots.

But somehow the city keeps churning, and commerce keeps being made. Because both of these factions are much much smaller than the leaflets they leave around town would have you believe.
>>
>>50340980
Cute commie blocks, friend.
>>
>>50340980
how did u make this map?
>>
They are people, with all that entails.
>>
High fantasy or urban fantasy?
>>
>>50340312
She was the best, Zuko is an idiot for choosing frigid Mai over her
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px)
image.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>50340312
They don't own the land, they just rent it. They pay rent via a portion of their crops, their labour on the lord's construction projects, and military service. They are all illiterate.

Premarital sex is strictly forbidden. Punishment is being torn apart in the village square. All intentions for marriage must be reported to me. I personally bless every Union by deflowering the bride on her wedding night.
>>
File: map of Penlac final.png (58KB, 1898x853px) Image search: [Google]
map of Penlac final.png
58KB, 1898x853px
>>50341515
Thanks, comrade

>>50341537
MS Paint. Here is a higher view and compass rose
>>
>>50340312
Depends where they live. Some are under the subjugation of crazed mage knights. Others indulge in near magical kung fu fighting. In other places, when they fail to become their family's container for a near immortal ghost warrior, the just grow stuff. Meanwhile, on another continent, they are working in factories and generally being exploited to the political/magical/plutocratic elite.
>>
>>50341640
Gotta make strong heirs tho

>>50341563
Too much detail, try writing with less fluff next time

>>50341498
Like any "faction". You only know about certain groups because they are the loudest, most funded, or both of those combined. Got any leaflets drawn up? Love me some propaganda
>>
File: A Traitor.png (31KB, 1204x578px) Image search: [Google]
A Traitor.png
31KB, 1204x578px
>>50342546
>>
>>50340312
They tend to have god-awful stats in general and are usually angry when people try to double-cross them, especially when inheritance is at stake.
>>
>>50340312
they are all secretly fairies.

Everyone knows this, except the fairies.

Taxes haven't gone up in years, things are getting out of hand.
>>
File: Cicero.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Cicero.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>50342563
you may have this superior image for free
>>
File: 1477337634541.jpg (633KB, 1600x915px) Image search: [Google]
1477337634541.jpg
633KB, 1600x915px
>>50340312
The expanding kingdom has recently colonized the land, and so its inhabitants are the kind of people who look to find a new place to start over or strike it rich.

They're hardy folk, and appreciate the adventuring spirit of the PCs. They'll help out where they can, and every household will take in travelers if they're caught out in a bad situation.

While they respect the other humanoid civilizations, they stick to where it's safe - out of fear of the untamed wilderness.
>>
They all have detailed backstories to make PCS feel shitty and/or delight in putting PCS in morally grey situations.
>>
They all carry knives, as tools and for self defense. Every last one of them is given one on they day they become an adult.

To be fair, the aristocracy also carry knives, but they tend to be more ornamental.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (488KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
488KB, 500x303px
>>50340312
They have an unhealthy fixation on vegetables.
>>
>>50340312
Peasant Villages in a province sends out representatives to the Provincial Court of Commoners to address their request, needs and grievances. They then elect a council head that would represent them in the State court, basically a Tribune of the Plebs. The peasants gained plenty of rights through this and became so influential that they can subvert a nobles decision. The only thing they can't do is create an armed assembly, only the nobility has the right to bear arms and to muster troops. Peasants doing so would be considered rebellion and would be put down quite harshly.
>>
>>50343455
That sounds pretty gud gonna steal idea
>>
>>50340323
the suddenness of this made me kek much more than I expected
>>
>>50340312
They're holding the highest power in my setting.
>>
>>50340312
They are whipped into the mud fields in the morning and whipped back to their hovels in the evening. Entertainment consists of watching a loved one dying from dysentery and casual incest.
They mostly eat mud, insects, mud, travelling gypsies and more mud.
The lord of the realm travels from village to village burning them down, collecting taxes and deflowering virgins. Not always in that order. He's currently playing Tic Tac Hut with a neighbor so they alternate on setting fire to hovels until one manages to set a full street of them on fire.
>>
You guy sure treat your peasants well.
Well, except for Sir Edgelordington over here.
>>50341755

The poorest members of all of my nations are kept pretty powerless and ignorant.
>>
>>50344045
Pretty edgy
>>
>>50344152
Nah, it would be edgy with witch burnings and permanent rain and mist.

I prefer grim dark meets FATAL as description.

DM "Ok, you ate a worm today, so no hunger roll for you"
Player "Yes!"
DM "Now roll your daily dysentry check at -5"
>>
They are cleverer than most of the nobility assumes. Some get solid education (particularly law) from the churches to better administrate their villages. The smart kings may realise this, and capitalise on them to put pressure on the nobility.
>>
>>50340312
I love having townsfolk treat adventurers like they are monsters. The farmers they just saved want them to go away as soon as possible, and will give anything to see them off. The leader of the town tries to keep them outside of the town proper.

It started as a way to mess with my players after they started getting rough with NPCs, and just acting like savages all the time. Problem Is that my players thought this new dynamic was more fun so they began playing it up. Now it's just accepted that adventurers in my world are all fearsome monsters that should be avoided at all cost.
>>
>>50340312
Theyre just doing their best in a world they didnt ask for. I have groups of them set up bunkers and train into fighters while high level wizards and warlocks pick out the smartest of the bunch to train in the ways of the arcane.
>>
1st son inherits his father's business or equivalent. 2nd son always become part of the the clergy or similar. The rest have a bit more freedom, but they are expected to serve the 1st son.
>>
>>50340312
Only 1 in 10 of them have souls.
The soulless ones are empty and miserable creatures with no zeal for living and the inability to feel anything other than dull fear and sorrow.
The one's with souls aren't much different.
The only thing they have going for them is wine.
They're totally cut off from the rest of the world and their leader is a vampire that hates them and fucks with them all on a regular basis because he's bored and crazy.
Yeah, I'm just running Curse of Strahd
>>
Oops didn't mean to quote

In the Mage capital, everyone is required by law to learn magic, but the commoners still end up doing manual labor (still has to get done after all), using magic where they can to help them dig ditches or plow fields. Those who fail to learn the most basic of spells are seen as either delinquent or disabled.

Everywhere else, they are just non-magical ditch diggers and crop sharing farmers.
>>
>>50341001
Call it ancient covenant magic or something and you are set for peseant punk
>>
>>50340312
They're all sexy as fuck, like by genetic design, and they're damn dedicated to doing what their respective sexes are designed to be.
>>
File: whacka_by_darkbloodpro-d59stk9.png (45KB, 396x375px) Image search: [Google]
whacka_by_darkbloodpro-d59stk9.png
45KB, 396x375px
>>50340312
They are a hardworking, cheery race of blue mole creatures, living their days with no qualms against their extremely predatory neighbors.

Their mayor is a drunk gopnik who wrestles with each and every one of them whenever he wants, mugs them, and then gives them money as reimbursement. He also makes sure never to collect any taxes from any of them, since they serve excellent food whenever he punches their heads.
>>
>>50342464
Those fields seem kind of small for a village that size.
>>
>>50340312
Peasants don't exist. Feudalism is dead.
>>
>>50340312
They're whores.
>>
Technically there are no peasants, since that's a product of feudalism. As far as farmers go, depends on where you go, the city the PCs are in right now (which is a colony) works like this:

They go to work on the fields in the morning, they come back into the city in the evening. They eat the food provided by the palace, and the palace takes everything that is cultivated. The palace provides protection and assigns them housing. The palace directs the workers and controls the planting.

Every able bodied man must donate a portion of their time to working in the mines or the quarries or building public works (sewers, walls, aqueducts, dams, temples, roads, etc.). Richer folk can pay other people to work for them, of course, and some professions are exempt. Farmers in particular spend most of their off season working. There is hope that in the near future slaves will arrive from the metropolis and ease the burden on the free citizens.
>>
In my world, all peasant and commoner families bear daughters.

Every family has a nubile, attractive daughter that they can use as a reward, bargaining chip, or source of income.

You get one, and it's up to you to choose how to spend it.
>>
>mostly literate
>know about the 12 outer planes, 4 elemental planes and the other 3 but only the bare minimum of the details of each
>low to moderately religious for the most part almost everybody prays to multiple gods depending on what they are doing with even the occasional person that has a preferred diety giving the others there proper respect
>most do not own any magic items but its unusual for somebody to have never seen magic done
>enjoy sportsball and watching sportsball competitions although rarely get as invested in there local team as folks here on earth do
>big on democracy or more specifically voting if your to lazy to vote properly you will face heavy ostrication
>there is no dominate form of preferred alcohol
>terrified of kobolds
>>
>>50340312
Well I'm trying to make a world semi form scratch, taking obvious inspiration form real world cultures so it depends. Area a the peasants are basically slaves, area b they are fairly happy and well treated, area c there's no large hierarchy so no major distinction between peasants and higher ups.
>>
Depends on location. Some are serfs, some are citizens, some are sharecroppers.

I have one area that's my attempt at a 'flat hierarchy caste system,' where every caste is subservient to another caste in the chain -- rulers are subservient to clergy but lord over the commoners, who in turn lord over the clergy themselves, and so on. It's confusing, but satisfying to fuck around with. I've got about eight castes right now.
>>
>>50343289
that wasn't unhealthy, his main source of income kept getting brutally destroyed, usually due to the involvement of the same group of kids
>>
>>50340312
They're all retired adventurers. Any party that tries to murder hobo is immediately shut down.
>>
>>50344230
I do this too, for the obvious reason that most adventurers run into running economies and ruin it.
Even had a little adventure about it where a group PCs run into a village that's gone bankrupt ever since the local evil had been rolled up.
Apparently these iron miners, farmers, and smiths ran shit out of luck when the local booming stronghold stopped ordering their weapons and food. And most of their young men died when the heroes killed the soldiers and servants in the keep.

And with the BBEG gone to keep the local evil wildlife in check and focussed on attacking adventurers there's now bands of kobolds and mutated bears running amock.
And besides all that, adventurers have a tendency to kill steal and loot. Even if they are on the good side of the spectrum, on grounds of simply being so strong that they can't be stopped. Which is kind of scary i.g.

>>50345004
I mean, without a feudal lord, that still sounds like a peasant system. Where most of the land they work is not their own, or only partially their own, and most of their produce goes to a central point where it is distributed among the rest of the populace by a lord/leader's decree. And ofcourse the gentleman's services the not!peasants are doing.
>>
>>50345789
>I mean, without a feudal lord, that still sounds like a peasant system.
It is a much earlier system. I'm running a kinda sorta Late Bronze Age game, so most of the cities are still running a palace economy, which is what this is.

In effect, it is a much more centralized than feudalism, technically nobody owns land, currency isn't really a thing yet. Additionally they're not really tied to the land as feudal Peasants were, where each Peasant family works a parcel of land, but instead they work on communal city fields and live inside the city walls.
>>
>>50341640
>have a chance to tap some earth kingdomese ass
>ignore it and continue lusting after your yet unreclaimed honor

It is a small wonder that was able to sire more than 1 child.
>>
>>50345915
Oh, yeah okay, I get what you mean.
I was kind of confusing it with how early feudal society would have all the farmers working on land that didn't belong to them either. Or only partially. And they paid their lord in tithe and extra services.

I guess in the end the lower-class life wasn't all that different, you always serve.
>>
>>50346062
The main difference between Feudalism and Palace economy is that in a palace economy, everything goes to the Palace, not just a large part, and then the Palace redistributes that however it sees fit, food, clothes and shelter are all provided by the Palace to everyone and everything is managed very tightly. It works as long as the population is small.
>>
>>50346048
He only sired the one, unless you believe in the Zhao-approved theory.
>>
>>50340312
They spend a lot of time appeasing cats, hawks and other wildlife, all of which lords over them with sheer physical force.
>>
>>50346192
Are they mouse people or somethin?
>>
>>50340312
They don't earn much XP
>>
File: 124124141241.jpg (5KB, 142x139px)
124124141241.jpg
5KB, 142x139px
>>50340323
I KNEW IT!
>>
File: haemotrope-reactor.jpg (127KB, 908x552px) Image search: [Google]
haemotrope-reactor.jpg
127KB, 908x552px
>>50340312
>>50340890

Ah yes, peasants in my setting also power things.
>>
File: 1479748444167.gif (203KB, 248x225px) Image search: [Google]
1479748444167.gif
203KB, 248x225px
>>50344111
>>50341755
> Sir Edgelordington

And yet his setting is still more benevolent to his peasants than real life feudal russia in the past.

Also
>Everything I dont like is edgy
Oh come on.
>>
Mostly a happy bunch now that a cheap, semi-renewable form of labor has come about. Though some are very against it, considering its skeletons of their dead loved ones.

I imagine it will end in either another rebellion, or just peaceful assimilation once they die out and join the skeleton horde.
>>
File: tumblr_nkua70eWk91qc5gi6o1_500.jpg (117KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkua70eWk91qc5gi6o1_500.jpg
117KB, 500x566px
>>50342546
You kidding me? Her giant tits would have fed the strongest heirs.
Earth wombs for fire babies.

>>50346048
Probably wanted just one kid to avoid creating another Azula, buttsex from then on.
>>
>>50345647
i liked that it was midly entertaining to watch unlike pakmar which just made you want to reach out and strangle ben
>>
File: Hardness 100%.png (44KB, 324x361px) Image search: [Google]
Hardness 100%.png
44KB, 324x361px
>>50347275
>Earth wombs for fire babies.
>>
>>50347877
Did you really think that the Sozin claimed the fertile hinterlands of Earth Kingdom just for shits and giggles?
>>
>>50347924
No, for farming... and farmgirls
>>
Depends on your definition of "commoner." Humans who aren't part of the Council of Lords are basically living like they're in the Italian Renaissance, but with more farming - the combination of rich volcanic soil and the massive system of natural canals flowing around the two major rivers that makes up the Riverlands makes for very rich, fertile soil. Elves basically live in massive family groups where children are traded into arranged marriages to prevent bloodlines from going stagnant, so "commoners" in the traditional sense is meaningless here. Orc men are sort of commoners, as they travel in roaming packs guiding their massive herds of cattle around the Great Grass Sea for 75% of the year; their women technically act as a ruling class and have a matriarch at the top of their social hierarchy, although their control over the men is shakier than most think. Dwarven commoners are mostly miners, or - at the very bottom of their hierarchy - farmers at the surface, referred to as "durkahaz" ("loose topsoil") for their need to attach to some "overseer" to sell their crops through for a fair price and their lack of loyalty to any one "overseer."
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 1278x1032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202KB, 1278x1032px
>>50340312
>tfw no Ba Sing Se gf
>>
>>50348435
>tfw dai li wasted their skills by making servants instead of mail brides
>>
>>50340312
They range from downright stupid and superstitious to those who actually have common sense to actually think before acting. But this also depends on race, kingdom, laws, traditions, education and other major and minor elements...

All the flavors you want in fact.

Thus in one place a witch will be burned on the stake for...existing, while in another she will not only be appreciated by the villagers, but also welcomed by them.

A Necromancer may be feared and constantly observed with suspicion by people in a majority of places (and often also burnt on the stake), but in a strict magocratic province where magic users are common and the normies got used to their shenanigans will act reserved around a Necromancer.

All the flavors I tell you.
>>
They're all gnomes. They spend their free time drinking, having sex, cowering before their Babylonian Elvish overlords, and sleeping.
>>
>>50348450
>implying the Joo Dee's were never used for 'relaxation' by the Dai Li
>>
>>50348581
This is the one true and only way to do peasants. Make them varied and different for all the regions and cultures of the world.
>>
>>50340312
Don't you mean the prostitutes?
>>
>>50340312
By all accounts they should be fucking miserable. But when you're born into a shitty situation alongside everybody else your standards change accordingly.

The prime worries of most villages is either conscription or animal attacks, since only animals are capable of performing magic naturally. Wolves can howl so hard your fucking house collapses.

The peasants generally circumvent this by making trinkets and clothes from the animals they kill, as they still possess magical qualities even after death. Some of the more strategically placed villages also live somewhat comfortably off of trade because of certain magics only coming natural to creatures with specific habitats. Those guys in the far north will surely appreciate those Cheetah-hide shoes that make you run fast
>>
>>50349220
Is there a difference?
>>
>>50349202
Yep.

This takes effort, but it's not impossible.

Pity some settings and certain GMs are a tad too lazy to do it right.
>>
>>50340312
Most have at least one cybernetic enhancenent or retroviral alteration linked to his job. Allmost everyone of them has partially inactive nanites in the bloodstream that help keep them healty and a neurojack port to commune with the Gods. Even if the Tapestry of Souls went inactive making most of the most flashing enhancenents of yore inactive; the most down to earth stuff still works and can be made more efficient with enhancenents and secret techniques.
The tipical city guardsman has a Gauss rifle that's only active when he uses it, neurolinked sensors, a nanosteel armour with strenght enhancers, a monomolecular blade and a shock baton for riot control.
They still die in droves when adventurers show up.
>>
>>50340312
Really depends of where they are.

For most, they have to pay the "no spear in your face" tax to some local warlord.
This is mostly paid in food.
Since warlords don't like accounting, it's a flat tax : each household has a quota of food baskets it must give to the warlord's officers every moon or so.
In exchange, the houses and fields ain't burned and nobody is sold into slavery in the nearest city.

Some warlords see themselves as true noble warriors and make a point of actually protecting the peasants that pay the taxes.
They are your stereotype knights in shining armors, whose brutality is focused against what they see as evil or dishonorable.
Others just take the food and just bother to maintain some kind of order to keep their authority.
Others yet are just plain thugs that take the taxes and whatever else they want.

The life of a peasant is spent between his harvests, his family and whatever project he got time to do.
He can barely manage to work enough fields to pay the taxes and feed himself and his family.
But in a good year, he might spend the low season working on some building project, either for himself, for his community or for some rich dude who pays for it.
>>
>>50349365
>hot girls wearing fishnets and highheels tilling the soil
>>
>>50340312

Current empire is full of beggars and guards.

The guards beat the shit out of the beggars if they beg to new comers.

Shit caravans travel across the continent dropping off shit at the edge of towns and cities.

My people are....phosphorus.
>>
File: 1447103380938.png (16KB, 362x324px) Image search: [Google]
1447103380938.png
16KB, 362x324px
>>50340323
>>
>>50350569
The heels are for making holes in the dirt to place seeds in.
>>
>>50350569
>first you blow the fields
>then you "blow the fields"
>>
>>50340312
Faceless aspects of the magical leakage courtesy of magical girls.
>>
They're all gay and only nobles can reproduce.
>>
File: A medieval batteling.png (104KB, 1345x570px) Image search: [Google]
A medieval batteling.png
104KB, 1345x570px
>>50340312
my setting is literally called the dark medieval times. its over the top with retarded names like "Lord Bloodshed", "Lord Extremekiller" and so on, but its actually serious.

the peasants in this setting are good for nothing subhumans. they live and they die. they live in really shitty condition, the ground is all mud and shit. they die of disease, starvation and genocide (they get killed by their own lords just for fun and sometimes for being shitty peasants). they are actually biologically inferior (intellectually and physically). sometimes they eat their own shit, because why not, their lives aren't to get any worse than this.

sometimes they eat stew that is mud in a bowl mixed with some pebbles and grass.

their religion consists of worshiping fake gods. they build idols and statues to their gods made out of mud and shit. for this they get killed sometimes. sometimes the angels (murderous gods of this setting) descend from the heavens to commit genocide against these shitty beings. (only nobles and knights are allowed to worship them)

here is some drawing in paint i did almost 2 yrs ago. if anyone wants ill post more.

picrelated was 1 historical event (dont remember the names desu, havent written anything down) when the lord of the castle went to far away lands for battle, the peasants rebelled but lost to a single loyal executioner
>>
File: kybalonia clothing.jpg (2MB, 4045x1409px) Image search: [Google]
kybalonia clothing.jpg
2MB, 4045x1409px
They are surprisingly opinionated and frequently unexpected.
>>
File: 1427602824020.png (475KB, 691x801px) Image search: [Google]
1427602824020.png
475KB, 691x801px
>>50347924
>fertile Earth valleys
>>
>>50352527
Metal
>>
>>50344529
I want to live in your world, tell me more.
>>
>>50345016
Because peasants don't have to worry about heirs and diplomatic marriages, they don't care much about virginity or marriage.

Wives are frequently swapped during the harvest festival, either just for a night, or until the next festival. Everyone is family so there is nothing to worry about. Inbreeding is prevented by having your daughters warm the beds of any stranger who passes through. Children are raised collectively so it doesn't matter if the father is unknown.
>>
>>50352433
That would be 4chan
>>
My peasant comunicate exclusively by biting each other faces. Married man is almost always missing a face.
>>
>>50345718
you mean... all of them? every peasant is a retired adventurer?
>>
>>50340312
Why did you post this prostitute in /tg/ now?
>>
>>50352527
that sounds hilarious
>>
>>50354781
Wondering same thing were there premordial adventures taht got stranded here and incested their way to full civilization?
>>
>>50352527
kind of reminds me to Korgot of Barbaria, have you watched it?

>also post more
>>
>>50353826
why unexpected? and why the 4th guy on the peasant row looks so gay? is that the unexpected part?
>>
>>50354866
or maybe they are all adventurers that where trapped in another world with no means out so they became farmers and shit to survive as more and more adventurers where trapped there and formed a comunity
>>
>>50340312
Basically, it varies HUGELY depending on the country. In the wealthier ones, things are alright, and they may even have rudimentary electricity, plumbing, etc. In the countryside of the wealthier ones, it's basically the late Renaissance, and that's about it. In the shittier countries, it's closer to the early middle ages in tech levels, and by the Chaos Rifts, it's basically Metro 2033.
>>
>>50355154
All these character we create but never play get transported to this limbo... Holy shit we have to make homebrew out of it
>>
>>50354392
metal
>>
>>50355197
>>50355154
actually that sounds fucking interesting
>>
File: cavemenZ.png (291KB, 1764x896px) Image search: [Google]
cavemenZ.png
291KB, 1764x896px
>>50355055
yes. i have watched it but it hasnt been an influence on dark medieval times. also you can see that the file name is grammatically incorrect, it is intentional. i have 3 conworlds where i fuck up english a bit, its an inside joke between me and my friend.

actually korgoth of barbaria (and samurai jack) have been an influence on one of these cnoworlds, it's basically a kitchen sink that has -everything-.

>also post more
ok
this is a depiction of prehistoric dark medieval times before they were medieval. the people were lazy cavemen that lied on grass burning in the sun, chewing grass, shitting, pissing themselves and eating their dead kin. they were really pathetic and shitty people until a certain figure came to their world.

actually these cavemen are slightly less advanced than the peasants >>50352527
>>
File: Map of the Dark Medieval.png (99KB, 1850x1094px) Image search: [Google]
Map of the Dark Medieval.png
99KB, 1850x1094px
>>50355351
map of the world
>>
File: The plagued.png (233KB, 1913x884px) Image search: [Google]
The plagued.png
233KB, 1913x884px
>>50355371
peasants and just people in general in the plagued wilderness
>>
>>50355406
medieval village and peasants, very first art before the setting of dark medieval times was even thought of

and thats where the executioner came from
>>
File: SwordMedieval.png (52KB, 1360x582px) Image search: [Google]
SwordMedieval.png
52KB, 1360x582px
>>
>>50355371
"Occult cults?" That's pretty metal.
>>
>>50355351
>>50355371
>>50352527
>>50355406
>>50355446

would play that setting
>>
>>50355499
well because some cults have a good cause like the Knight Krusader Kult that were led by Lord Alexandrion on a crusade into the steppes
>>
File: 1479762828751.jpg (302KB, 679x750px) Image search: [Google]
1479762828751.jpg
302KB, 679x750px
>>50341640
Are you fucking crazy?
>previously exiled prince dethrones the king with the aid of foreigners
>aligns himself with the kingdom's enemies and gives up a bunch of territory
>the cherry on top is making a peasant girl from an enemy kingdom his queen

How many assassination plots do you think, just in his first year in power?
>>
>>50355581
this, also how to get the nobles/important people listen to him after that
>>
>>50355581
>>the cherry on top is making a prostitute from an enemy kingdom his queen.
Fixed
>>
>>50347107
wtf mate It's laced with the blood of martyrs it doesn't even get a drop of filthy hiver scum blood.
>>
>>50355581
You say as you post the most adorable art of them
>>
File: peasant house.jpg (211KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
peasant house.jpg
211KB, 600x380px
>>50340312
They went full comfy
>>
>>50355581
Am I the only person in the entire world who thinks bubble tea is gross?
>>
File: Justinian-And-Theodora.jpg (140KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Justinian-And-Theodora.jpg
140KB, 720x480px
>>50356262
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened
>>
>>50357049
She wasn't from an enemy kingdom though.
>>
>>50357141
She supported the enemy sports team and the enemy type of christianism
>>
>>50355581
To be fair, the Fire Nation colonies were given Independence, not ceded back to the Earth Kingdom.
>>
>>50340312
Pretty much everyone died, not because of an apocalypse or plague, but because the kingdom's princes and barons couldn't stop throwing soldiers at each other.
Now the aristocrats are dead, and what remains is potential victims, terrible monsters, and the few able bodied rangers, rogues and outcasts that escaped the war drafts as the last stand between creeping darkness and humanity's hopes for survival.
>>
>>50357022
It's great, you're just a pleb
>>
>>50340312
I donno man they're like farmers and shit

My players really don't give a shit about anything aside from the next loot pinata so why should I?
>>
>>50347275
>Earth wombs for fire babies
you should be ashamed of having such shit taste

WATER WOMBS FOR FIRE BABIES
>>
>>50359471
Didn't know girls posted on /tg/
>>
Human build walls, Ride horses.

Dwarves dig holes and farm wheat.

Elves live in secluded villages in forests.

Halflings live in burrows near human settlements.

Gnomes live near elves, with animals or with/near dwarves.

Dragonborne live in human cities or with draconic cultists.

Githzerai live in human cities within martial art monasteries.

Drow live like elves but underground and mostly go about their day to day lives unless they cross paths with a bitchy matriarch that morning,

Half Orcs live with humans as outcasts, or with orcs as slaves

Orcs live in mountain caves, Goblins live in hill caves or occasionally in human settlements and under homes in burrows doing odd jobs.
>>
they are all dead
>>
>>50352368
It's plow the fields stupid
>>
>>50340312
At best ignored, at worst food, usually though just worked to death.
>>
File: baby_bucket.jpg (55KB, 850x525px) Image search: [Google]
baby_bucket.jpg
55KB, 850x525px
>>50340312
They are the source of 100% of the nation's Peasant Quests
>>
>>50341755
>>50345244
>only 2 people addressed literacy
step up your game /tg/
>>
File: 7493933135565855a57.png (21KB, 357x313px) Image search: [Google]
7493933135565855a57.png
21KB, 357x313px
>>50359471
>This never happend
>Shitty Kataang is canon
WHY?!

>>50360920
>Only girls can ship
>Only girls are allowed to have any feelings
Fuck off
>>
They are used as fuel for Techmages
>>
Usually they are there to do the things that the heroes (My setting is a super hero setting based back in like, 1800 with some modern elements) and basically they just fuck around and call up more heroes to help them with shit. probably hoping if they fuck enough they can birth a kid with a super good power
>>
>>50340312
Jawas
>>
>>50362417
He's right tho, Zutara is infamous for how popular it is with girls, most of them non-white and selfinserting into Katara.
Ther have been a couple of confirmed sightings here on /tg/, countless more on /co/ and /cgl/
>>
>>50363115
Dunno, I'm male Pollack, so call me an abberation in the theory. I'm more than aware how popular it is among girls.
>>
>>50363674
You might just like delicious brown, in that case you're a man of excellent taste
>>
>>50361517
Soylent green is people?
>>
>>50340312
Peasants
Um... they farm? It highly depends on country and region, no, really. Most are obviously concentrated on traditional agricutlure. Zantians put equation mark between "farmer" and "forester", due to the amount of trees and massive logging industry. Depending from country, average village has from 50 to 500 people. If there happens to be nearby abbey of Ekernists, then the village will boast a school, with pretty good literacy rate among the people

Commoners are so complicated there is literally no point trying, as it depends from city to city and town to town. But what goes for sure is that in most countries, there is zero division between those and peasants, as they are simply put in the single bag of "non-noble". The exception would be the (mandatory) republic of Slinde, since, duh, republic, so Stadtluft macht frei
>>
>>50340312
I use their rumors as suggestions for plothooks. They convey the weird and shitty ideas I had. If one appeals to the players, I work on it.

They generally are afraid of magic, because that was what the current empire used to conquer and infiltrate castles until it became a renaissance roman empire.

Sacrifices to the gods are a thing, the donations for that sustains the local priest and family.

They will do anything for a gold coin.

Even a peasant family may own one or two slaves.

The notorious pesant would be a dwarfwoman which agreed to serve one of the three Baba Yaga Sisters instead of being eaten. Vasillisa survived, and what she learned became the main codex about demons specially the Chicken-Leg Houses which created the witches.
>>
>>50343146
Thanks familam, it is very nice

>>50344551
Most of the "people" living there are soldiers. Penlac is a strong, old outpost that once was independent but eventually capitulated peacefully when the Empire was rising. It serves to keep out the nomads that roam the foothills further West. Those nomads have been peaceful for almost thirty years though... so those fields are a development meant to keep some of the soldiers occupied in all that down time. A civil project more than an actual subsistence farm. Supplies are shipped via the roads due East monthly.

>>50347275
Top tier reply mate, I got nothing on that kek

>>50360999
Humans build walls but ride horses? Building walls kinda limits your growth and where you can roam... wouldn't the horse riding humans be open and free?

>>50361116
Deep
>>
File: Battle of Cogston with words.png (384KB, 1565x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Cogston with words.png
384KB, 1565x1057px
>>50368389
Forgot to mention that Penlac's peaceful status is not like the Northern Forts. Downburry and Lechfeld are constantly responding to raiders. The towns there are relatively safe, and they can still produce good amounts of crops and animals without worry or harassment. The occasional raid does sneak by though... and the amount of booty from one successful raid is enough to lure ten more.
>>
>>50349600

Wait, you're high enough on the tech tree that you can stuff your peasants with nanopaste, but you still have them do manual sustenance farming? Are they some sort of robo-Amish?
>>
>>50354781

That's a saner explanation than every peasant being weaker than a fucking kobold.
>>
>>50340312
My setting has city states fighting for dominance in tributary networks, defined more by their centers than by their borders. So a village out in the sticks might fall under the authority of two rulers some years, then whichever one can enforce its laws another, sometimes neither. City states fight for manpower in the form of serfs, corvee laborers, and slaves. They'll raid small communities for slaves, or demand tribute in the form of slaves. Refugees flee into swamps or mountains where they are hard to pursue or tax and states are hard to build. Occasionally said refugees coalesce into raider groups, but enforcing centralized loyalty is virtually impossible.

Peasants closer to a central authority tend to have higher demands placed on them and less general autonomy, but better protection from raiders or rival states. On the fuzzy edge of the cities you've got slave plantations. Peasants further from a central authority have the reverse. On the fuzzy edge between states and free lands you've got a mix of free villages and raiders.

There used to be an empire, and the current long-standing locals have cultures derived from or at least touched by the empire. There's also a wave of immigration from outside of that world. Mostly these barbarians cut off ties between territory they control and the states that would exert influence over said territory. Cities are razed/starved out/occupied sometimes, but the countryside mostly just keeps chugging along as it always has and absorbs the outsiders. That said there are hints of unification between the barbarian tribes. Could mean the forging of a new empire.
>>
>>50362417
But why tho? What's so good about the Katara+Zuko ship?
>>
>>50369269
The hero getting the girl is a cliche. But one I love done right. Every time I actually feel on board with it, it's because it's done a certain way. The protagonist expresses actual interest in getting with the girl early on, a relevant obstacle gets in the way, and he deliberately overcomes the obstacle. That shit where he does some unrelated thing and a relationship he hasn't spent any time worrying about just falls into his lap? That's some tacked on bullshit. That's Kataang. It's also really weird that Katara is this tacked on girlfriend after being such a major character with such a specifically defined and consistently platonic chemistry with Aang. Who is written and acted like a fairly realistic kid his age most of the time.

Katara going for Zuko gets some free points (fair or not) for being a little less common a model. On top of that the basis for how they relate to each other is already emotional and transgressive. They're not funny kids being friends. On top of that the bit where this would have culminated is also the culmination of a major arc for Katara. She wasn't built up to liking him, but the whole revenge thing got a few seasons. So her getting over that shit with help from Zuko feels like a valid (ish) way to address that plotline. Then, again, the VAs' performance sells the idea that there's some chemistry regardless of the writers' intent.
>>
>>50369521
Really, the fact that Aang ended up with anyone felt pretty weird. He was ten, doing Avatar stuff should have been more than enough without getting distracted by girls he wasn't really even old enough to like in relationship terms.
>>
>>50369269
Long story short, Kataang was tucked in during production of the final episodes, just to get to check "hero gets the girl" from the checklist when execs get pissy about how Avatar is being produced. I mean we are talking about canonically shipping a 10-year old demigod with a girl that can be best described as "that older friend you wished to have and always was purely platonic". It made no sense to exist in the first place

At least Zutara had some traction within the show, even if it still wouldn't work out as the shippers wish, since the entire ship runs on "All girls like bad boys" cliche and rides redemption to the point of absurdity. Basically your average paladin saving the orc female berserk from being hanged, but gender-swapped.
>>
>>50369269
For starters, it doesn't involve giving a literal kid girlfriend almost twice his age.
>>
>>50369269
Ask yourself why 90% of the female demographic was behind their shio
>>
>>50369269
It's one of those ships that was for a while even considered canon.
>>
>>50343146
In video form too.
https://youtu.be/F2iW62KIHlQ
>>
>>50369951
why?
>>
>>50340312
they're nowhere near this perfect
>>
>>50369269

Speaking from experience, for me it was because Aang acted like such a little kid alot and I honestly thought Toph and Aang worked better, character and interactions wise than Katara and Aang. Kataang's fine, as a pairing, but for me it was just one of those 'eck' things that're trivial, ultimately.

Though, for me it wasn't necessarily Zutara -- Zuko could've worked with anyone, I thiink, in all honesty, save for Suki who was and worked so perfectly with Sokka that I'd have been squinting if they didn't get together.

It was just the idea of Katara going for someone who acted more like a little brother that she took care of that kinda turned me off. Like I said, it doesn't matter, really, though, as it's not a bad pairing, just..not one that hits the proverbial 'd'aww' gland.
>>
>You will never plant your seed in the fertile womb of a peasant girl
>>
>>50372224
I like that it's completely glossed over that Aang is 112 years old and hooking up with another 12 year old
>>
>>50372320
His technical age means absolutely nothing, given how he acts and that he's also physically preserved as a little boy.

Or you want to actually made it weirder and admit this is in shitty animu territory, with cute little girls being really just 700 years old vampires and shit?
>>
>>50372339
I'm just saying, if the Fire Nation, or any of Aang's opponents wanted to ruin him, just mention the fact that the Avatar is over a century old and he's pounding some teen pussy
>>
>>50372320

Note, I said acted. That's the key word there; he acted like a little kid that was younger than he actually technically is. I hate this shit in anime too, and Fire Emblem did this awful crap that's, I always felt, fucking blehk.

Nowi is 1000 years old, but in Lonqu's romance route they fucking play house, a kid's game, until Lonqu proposes to her and makes the 'game' real. They fucking play HOUSE and she looks 12 yrs old, and ACTS 12 years old.

I don't care what someone's age is if they're acting like 11 and look 11, I'm still gonna find it ass creepy or just kinda ehh in Kataang's place, tho I get where you're coming from.
>>
>>50372361
Meanwhile people who understand how reincarnation works (Everyone) will say "... ... ... ... ..."
>>
>>50372379

Uh, technically Aang froze himself in ice. So, the reincarnation thing wouldn't really work if one wanted to bring up a defense against that.

Of course, really all you'd have to say is 'she's consenting, duh!' assuming it goes by the usual consent rules for back then which was like 12-13 iirc.
>>
>>50372412
>SHe's consenting!

>NOT BY CHOICE, LOOK, IT IS THE AVATAR WHICH LUSTS AFTER HER YOUTHFUL, NUBILE BODY AND FERTILE LOINS. TELL ME, WOULD YOU DENY THE AVATAR HIS DEMANDS, OR DO YOU TOO FEAR HIS MIGHTYSOME FURY, SHOULD HIS DESIRES BE UNQUENCHED! SHE CONSENTS UNDER DURESS, FOR HER PREDATOR IS THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN THE WORLD!
>>
>>50372361

>He literally believes people whose usual tech does not reach "running water"-tier give a shit about modern sensibilities about legal age

Jesus.
>>
>>50372475

To be fair, that could work more than mentioning 'he's banging some teen pussy.' Just doing that is one thing, but implying he's doing so upon force of consequence if she refuses from the most powerful man in the world..well. It's compelling.

All you'd have to do to seal the deal is make up some scare posters like, 'Upon pain of death, she is forced to sexually pleasure the avatar! YOU COULD BE NEXT! WHEN WILL THE AVATAR'S INSATIABLE LUST FOR NUBILE YOUNG MAIDENS BE ENOUGH?!'

Add in some 'credible witnesses' and boom.
>>
>>50372412
>Uh,
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>50372633

no
>>
>>50352527
So it's just Brettonia from Warhammer?
>>
>>50369806
>a 12 year old and a 14 year old
>almost twice his age
>>
>>50340323
fpbp
>>
>>50373917
>>50340323
Sex Pistols manga.

You're welcome for the pure nightmare fuel.
>>
>>50372224
>Speaking from experience
meaning what?
>>
>>50372639
actually found out about bretonnia way later than made this world, but yeah maybe, like a planet bretonnia, and the peasants in warhammer have it much better
>>
>>50374621

I probably should've said 'as a former shipper' or something along the lines.
>>
>>50372623
that could very well work
>>
>>50340312
They get angry when people puts their noses into their comfy lifes. Ie every time the PCs enter the scene.
>>
>>50343231
How is there still an aristocracy if that's the case?
>>
>>50344230
It actually makes a lot of sense than an armed band of vagabonds arises suspicion. A group of "adventurers" is just a smaller and specialized version of a mercenary company, and nobody likes having soldiers living with him. Near him maybe, if there's dangerous, but not too near.
>>
>>50362112
It's granted that they're mostly illiterate, it would be redundant to say so
>>
>>50372586
But the viewers of the show do give a fuck about it, you moron. Especially since it's a kid's show
>>
>>50375465
And how this even invalidates aristocracy?
>>
>>50369722
>Long story short, Kataang was tucked in during production of the final episodes
As someone who rewatched the entire series two weeks ago Kataang was built up from the very first fucking episode all the way throughout season 3. Zutara had one scene to suppot it.
>>
>>50372301

If you're American and aren't completely socially inept, you're almost guaranteed to wind up with a peasant girl.
>>
File: 1410773805151.jpg (22KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
1410773805151.jpg
22KB, 493x335px
>>50376018
>>
>>50359471
Third season broke my heart. Should have realized back then that Bryan had shit taste.
>>
File: disdainful lisa.jpg (76KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
disdainful lisa.jpg
76KB, 500x379px
>>50345016
>Magical realm
>actually not too bad

Would adventure there, probably not fuck the locals.
>>
>>50374848
How absolutely horrifying.

How then did the nobility come into existence?
What purpose do these inbred mongrels then actually serve to the nobility, or is it simply too much effort to exterminate them?
Can they be coerced into performing meaningful labor?
>>
>>50377938

>How then did the nobility come into existence?

dont know what kind of answer you expect

>What purpose do these inbred mongrels then actually serve to the nobility, or is it simply too much effort to exterminate them?

they are a cheap resource, they are poor consumers and are easy to control

>Can they be coerced into performing meaningful labor?

yeah they can work the fields, chop trees. really gifted ones can be trained to mine, work with stone, wood

there are of course people that live with the nobles and do things more complex than what peasants are able to do, like blacksmithing, architecture planning, etc. they have the potential to become nobles themselves if they kill someone above them and take their place, or prove their worth through alternative means

peasant is synonymous with subhuman in this setting, no offense to the real life peasants that are reading this
>>
File: medieval death.png (106KB, 1911x883px) Image search: [Google]
medieval death.png
106KB, 1911x883px
>>50379054
>>
>>50379054
>dont know what kind of answer you expect
Like, if the population is made entirely of inbred mongrels, from what breeding stock did the nobility originate?
There has to at least be some mythologized origin, like "we're the children of the gods" or some such.
>>
>>50379279
I disagree
>>
>>50379279
They's obviously a strain of superior human, which established multi-generational hegemony over their stunted cousins, and by hoarding all the knowledge, good food and quality women, forced their labouring cast into cretinism and barbarity.

Man is a rope between beast an Overman, innit.
>>
>>50379279
didnt wanna write an answer but good thing this guy >>50381494 did it instead. pretty much. there is no mythologized origin. it does date back to the prehistoric times of >>50355351

the description from that post is actually about the "peasants" of that time. the ubermensch werent as pathetic and went fighting with fists, stones and sticks.

>they were really pathetic and shitty people until a certain figure came to their world

>certain figure
Lord Medieval (thats his name lol, he came to the world of Dark Medieval Times from another setting of mine, one time occurrence)

he literally came out of the woods, was as tall as the trees themselves, covered in plate armor from head to toe, had multiple weapons on his back, and saw how shitty the people of this planet were, so he decided to teach how to be medieval, and so he did for hundreds of years. then he vanished, went back presumably to his world (there is a portal in the world, but you really need to be godtier fighter to pass through its security).maybe he will return one day.
>>
>>50374890
You never stop being a shipper, it's like being black.
You can't run away from it
>>
>>50340312
Mostly they drink and sing. On rare occasions atrocities might be committed on them, but mostly they drink and sing.
>>
>>50382707
>it's like being black.
>You can't run away from it
I come to /tg/ to forget that, not be reminded of it
>>
File: Olliewilliams.png (23KB, 1000x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Olliewilliams.png
23KB, 1000x1100px
THEY'RE ALL BROKE AS FUCK
>>
>>50357022
I've tried it about five different times.
Only once did it not make me nauseous.
>>
>>50359471
>>50362417
This is how we got Korrasami.
So thanks for that, idiots.
>>
File: KmdONKzKTN7B6.gif (902KB, 320x160px) Image search: [Google]
KmdONKzKTN7B6.gif
902KB, 320x160px
>>50385786
>Having problem with Korrasami
What are you? Some sort of faggot?
>>
File: 1407029220070.jpg (86KB, 597x780px) Image search: [Google]
1407029220070.jpg
86KB, 597x780px
They're perfectly content and happy until PCs arrive.
>>
File: gnomemonster.jpg (9KB, 268x283px) Image search: [Google]
gnomemonster.jpg
9KB, 268x283px
They are convinced that gnome magic is giving them cancer.

They think that anyone who believes in only one god is kind of weird, and probably in with the gnomes.

They can read, but they'd rather get drunk.
>>
>>50352276
and also to stomp on your nuts.
>>
>>50357789
"Oh woops I guess we will have referendum to join back our glorious motherland" With cucks in power it's not happening, I guess.
>>
>>50386446
Blow your brains out, queer.
>>
>>50386681
Breaking news, bitch - they decided to stay outside the Earth Kingdom
>>
>>50386686
>2016
>Using queer as an insult
What are you? Hibernatus?
>>
>>50386697
>thinking that anyone except faggots actually accept faggots in society
>any year, anywhere
That wasn't just a flippant imageboard remark. Seriously, literally, blow your brains out.
>>
>>50386711
>>
>>50386711
Fuck off, /pol/

>Buh buh you just assume I'm from /pol/
And we assume correctly.
>>
>>50386697
Put a bullet in your brain, cocksucker.
>>
>>50340312
Roman-esque setting where the slaves enter slavery voluntarily. By giving up some of their rights (voting, owning property, etc.) they can sell themselves into a contract of intentured servitude, and are guaranteed food and shelter and basic medical care in exchange for working their asses off. They also get a pitiful wage that they usually spend immediately on wine because being a slave sucks.

They adopted this system after a few massive slave revolutions nearly toppled the empire. They got tired of not being able to find the real Spartacus and just said "fuck it, let's treat them a little better"
>>
>>50362112
that's like addressing their lack of military training

they're peasants man, some things are a given
>>
Attempting to wrangle the conversation back on track, my settings peasants tend to vary. A couple of notes, my setting is basically comprised entirely of humans separated into various cultures, with one non-playable magical race to serve as the primary antagonist so far. This is what I've written for one continent, and I've yet to really get to work on much else.

It's fairly snowy, but still arable in most regions and places a lot of cultural and religious emphasis on light and fire, primarily to build a resistance towards the native snow fae who are basically constantly blaring magic mind control into the wind. Basically, if you listen close enough to the wind whistling through the cliffs, you can hear a bunch of singing and chanting trying to pull you into some kind of danger, be it some sort of ambush or just walking off a cliff.

The vast majority of them are of culture A that values an extreme sense of order and calm, using a strictly regimented life to build a sort of resistance to the innate mind altering powers of the land. Life is usually pretty good for them so long as they live in a settlement that has a beacon, sort of a large fire lit from the main massive fire with a bunch of religious significance that also serves as the first line of defense against getting mindfucked. In spite of the snowy climate they eat fairly well due to the structured supply lines, good bureaucracy and a religious devotion to support outlying settlements. Literacy among men and women ranges from 10% to 25% depending on which noble house rules over you.

(cont.)
>>
>>50386965
Culture B has a bit more of a martial tendency, and is hard to classify as proper peasants. They operate in clans, and tend to either protect settlements and caravans of culture A or travel with and protect the villages of culture C. They basically resist the mindfuckery thanks to HONOR and RAGE and just brute forcing their way through. They have the highest rates of getting mind controlled.. Literacy is very low, and they tend to have the hardest time finding food, especially if they lack skilled craftsmen and/or good fighters. Life is very good if they manage to attach themselves to a settlement, and pretty shit while they're left wandering around.

Culture C is sort of a Eskimo vibe. I haven't worked on them that much, but basically they're a culture of survivalists that tend towards being pathfinders or hunters. Basically if you pull your weight, you're accepted. Literacy is ridiculously low, basically less than one percent. They resist the mindfuckery by being very meditative and calm all the time.
>>
>>50385786
>caring about what Korra does with her cooch
She didn't trap Bolin as her beta provider, that's all that mattered
>>
>>50340312
There's not really one model of how peasants live in my settings, really.

I like to go with multiple different kinds of social models in my settings. So there could be communities of free landowning yet also tax-paying peasants in a strongly bureaucratized republic, while the same republic also features plantations with landless labourers who are paid in money, as well as slave-run plantations.

Other possebilities I've used include tentants who are bound to a specific plot of land, as well as tenants who are bound to a lord (or a city, or a monastery, or a temple, etc.) in some way or another (which, in turn, can vary from "must do 10 days of work for the lord doing harvest season" to "the lord decides when and where I work for the rest of my sorry life"). As well as free peasants who basically rule themselves (think rural villages who have some sort of common rural or tribal identity, but don't actually have kings or any kind of governing body other than the occasional makeshift assembly of elders).

Rates of literacy vary, but full literacy is pretty much restricted to trained professionals (i.e. clergymen from organized religions, and in the case of fairly bureaucratized societies, professional scribes who help with recordkeeping). In societies where literacy exists, the peasants are often illiterate, but a fair number of them will still be able to write their own name and pick out a few words in a document. But even then, they're not actually used to using writing - if they want to remember something, they'll just memorize it (sometimes by means of composing a song or poem about it) instead.
>>
>>50386446
Not that anon but I actually do.

It's a shitty ship, anon. Korra is trash that should be forgotten like the movie that need not be named.
>>
>>50344529
Fucking whackabumps
>>
>>50389849
Get the grip of yourself. Either the ship is shit or entire "Avatar 2: The Shit Sequel" is shit.
>>
>>50386711
Anon, you get assblasted about some pointless /pol/ bullshit, while the real point is how fucking OUTDATED queer is as a word. It's literally like saying "have a gay time" when you wish someone fun, to keep it thematically-consistent for your tiny brain.
>>
>>50368677
More or less. Various wars destroyed most of the industries and technical know how. People mostly get around with things they learned by rote or that fabricators (monopoly of the merchant guilds) can build for them.
It's actually a lame excuse to get litteral science fantasy.
>>
>>50340312
Stuck in economic turmoil. Having powered most of their machinery with mana and animals rather than things such as coal, the sudden loss of magic has really obliterated their society. Things such as unemployment are at an all time high.

Death, being tied to the natural flow of mana (Thing Mana closer to chi in this setting, it flows through everyone and forms a great wheel between life and death) is stiffled. The Judgements are piling up, and the spirits are uneasy. As a result, many said spirits are haunting the civilian population.

As you can imagine, all of this leads to unruly commoners. There are riots, revolutions, and general unrest among the people. They want their old life back, and are willing to do anything to get it.

That is not to say everyone is so completely destroyed by it. Those who did not use magic as a crutch are finally having a chance to shine, and the future holds something for the inventors who were once scorned. Now that they are no longer shackled under the binds of magicians and wizards, there is finally hope for those who were not gifted, a chance for someone with a bright mind to do more than be a lacky for a wizard. So some embrace the change. Some even welcome it.

Culturally, most follow a sort of hierarchy. Your magical talent determines your place in life. Bloodlines are traced heavily, and being able to prove your connection to someone high in the chain is often enough for a job. As connection and control of magic is often hereditary, there is still massive amounts of arranged marriages around the world, even as it reaches the 17th century.

Those not born with control of magic are often cast in the lower rungs. Slaves, Servants, and Serfs. The undesirables. Very few have a chance at anything beyond a meager life, and even then, it's only because they are working for someone with magic.

Now that magic is fading, this is already changing. Those who have been held down are rising up. Change is coming.
>>
>>50392210
>T-the society collapsed, guys!
>B-because they never learned how to use basic tools!
>T-they were too dependend on technology!

Thish Amish meme needs to fucking die.
Thread posts: 235
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.