[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BGG: Nostalgia edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 39

File: oie_K98dn3wvxIQE.jpg (177KB, 1051x664px) Image search: [Google]
oie_K98dn3wvxIQE.jpg
177KB, 1051x664px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50266913

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Post your bgg related nostalgia stories
>>
rank the dungeon crawlers

Descent
Heroquest
Advanced heroquest
Dungeon saga
D&d basic
Zombicide
Space hulk
Execution force
MoM
Dungeon quest
Etc.
>>
>>50337762
>No Warhammer Quest
I hereby declare thy taste to be shit.
>>
Anyone here played a game called Battalia?

Friend has it. We tried playing it, but the rules are a clusterfuck and so we got about a quarter through a game before saying fuck it and playing something else.

Is it worth investing time to figure it out, or should we just play something else right off the bat next time?
>>
>>50338022
I have actually, back in January. It had cool ideas, and the deckbuilding/area control/combat gelled together a lot better than I thought it would, but two of our players had less-than-ideal eyesight and the text/symbols are tiny. I can see how the game could take 45min to play, but it took a miserable 2+hrs

I don't remember having that many rules questions once we actually got started, but I only barely remember the game now. Since this was a KS maybe there's an explanation video?
>>
File: killme.gif (2MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
killme.gif
2MB, 444x250px
>>50337762
>>50337914
Me and my friends have the most fun with zc:bp. I backed the kickstarter and didn't regrett anything. It's fast pasted and you get shit done in an evening AND play 1 additional game. You not "exploring" the map, more like fighting trough hordes of zombies to get to your destination. I like it.

I hat Shadows of Brimstone. I really liked to concept. Western and Cthulu? What's not to love? But the game plays in a very slow pace. You have lots of random encounters where dice determine, what's going to happen. Exploartion is well done and everybody is playing against the game, no dungeon master needed. But the enemies are more "mindless" than in zc. I sold it after 4 plays. Didn't really click and setting up takes a long while.

I had played Descent 1 a long time ago. Remember having fun, but wasn't really mindblowing.

Space Hulk is fun but its more a "2 player" game. And an expensive one. But the miniatures are superb (you still need to assemble them).

I bought the undercity for 30$ in ebay. lets see how that plays. Board looks bland, but the minis look good and everyone looks very unique. Looking forward for that!

I have my eyes on Dungeon Saga. The "deluxe Eddtion" looks good with the adventures companion with additional content.
>>
>Post your bgg related nostalgia stories
I remember when some trip (minifig?) from here told about some annoying guy that ranted about high speed trains and everybody jumped on that. That was fun.

Having said that... this question sucks.
>>
File: 324 dollars.jpg (337KB, 1094x768px) Image search: [Google]
324 dollars.jpg
337KB, 1094x768px
God I really hope I won't regret this. Never backed something on KS. Created a KS account just for this. Everything looks great but I'm afraid I'm in too deep financially. I don't wanna have doubts because I think the game looks great but it's so much fucking money. I could go down to $99 for only the core box but I want all the minis because of my completionist autistic mind.
And the campaign isn't even over. I fear that by the end I'll be in with around $400. This is fucked up. Have you guys ever spent a ridiculous amount of money on a single board game purchase? Did you regret it?
>>
>>50337762
I love crawlers but my group is group-huggy and doesn't like either Descent or the D&D Adventure System, the former because it's not challenging and therefore not rewarding without an Overlord playing to win, the second because the "AI" is easy to cheat.

I need a game that mixes both the streamlined nature and sense of partnership against the game of the D&D games witht he ruthless assholery of Descent played right.
>>
>>50337762
Mage Knight should get a mention, although IMO it's not actually that awesome.
>>
>>50339516
I have a rule that I don't spend more than $100 on game kickstarters. So no.

>>50338608
Remember when minifig shilled for 404 for literally months because he knew the guy? And the project was delayed horribly because the guy was bad at business but it wasn't his fault? And that the game was mediocre after a super late delivery anyway?
>>
>>50337680
Hey /bgg/, I'm new to board gaming and unfortunately it's an expensive hobby.

How does Black Friday/Cyber Monday generally go for board games? I'm hoping to get some games online for a bit cheaper, but are there any good sales usually? If so, which sites are better? Or do only gateway games like Ticket to Ride go on sale?
>>
>>50340194
asmodee/fantasy flight are currently having their holiday sale
https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/
>>
A legit, full-on, actual fists thrown fight just broke out at my college board game club over Dead of Winter. Someone just called security and everything.
>>
>>50340394
>Not knowing jits and choking everyone unconscious.
Low test, but story anyway.
>>
File: 1426345644705.jpg (466KB, 960x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1426345644705.jpg
466KB, 960x1800px
>>50340394
>Dead of winter
>out of all the games

TI3, after you sink a full day, and get backstabbed or literally have your day ruined, I can see.

Magic the gathering, I can see
Campaign for North Africa, when Jim can't do the proper accounting and the brits don't have enough water for your tea, ruining an effective week's worth of games, I can see.

But fucking dead of winter?
>>
Hey guys, i love some 18XX games (specially 18AL).
Do any of you know a place where i can buy a kit for it, instead of having to print and build my own?
>>
>>50340318
Wow, those are great sales! Unfortunately nothing there has jumped out at me. (Except Ghost Stories at $25, but a friend already has it.)

Are there other similar sales either currently happening or to watch for?
>>
File: 1342558601430.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1342558601430.gif
2MB, 300x169px
So Dice Tower put up a video about "Inclusiveness" in gaming.

I was willing to give the video a chance since it might not be insufferable dogshit but it's literally just two women complaining about nothing for 20 minutes and one them even unironically mentioned how black people WAS KANGS.

It's such a non issue, just stick to reviews for fucks sake.
>>
>>50340529
Didn't you know?
Half baked political opinions are the new hot topic!
>>
>>50340529
Now that trump won, you gotta accrue some virtue signaling points or else
>>
>>50340529
I love that episode, and you didn't even need to include the cray cray to make it work.
Bless you, anon.
>>
File: 1416855293353.gif (420KB, 499x320px) Image search: [Google]
1416855293353.gif
420KB, 499x320px
>>50340577
>you didn't even need to include the cray cray to make it work.

Seriously what does that even mean?
>>
>>50340318
>https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/
Is there anything similar to this for Canadians? The USD kills our currency when i convert.
>>
>>50340649
>>
>>50340714

Got you, thought you were talking about the Dice Tower EP and I got confused.

I posted the wrong gif anyway, I meant to post the one where Jack facepalms.

Shame there's no Stargate board game.
>>
Scythe or Terraforming Mars?

I can only get 1, unless there's a huge sale.
>>
>fresh out of money
>it's fall
>GMT says it's sale will be moving to January
I feel like I got a stay of execution.
>>
>>50340978
Both are great games.
if you prefer form over function Scythe
if you prefer function over form Terraforming Mars
(consider this more an indictment of TM's form, than of Scythe's function. Stock photos...stock photos everywhere)
>>
>>50339516

Kingdom death, that was like 5 years ago or something. I spent about $700 in total, meant to split among friends. They didn't pay up or played in the end. I kept everything. No regrets though, it is a fantastic game with fantastic minis.

Why aren't you dumping your money on the Kingdom death kickstarter this coming black Friday?
>>
>>50341083
>Kingdom Death

Oh god my wallet is going to hurt isn't it when the reprint KS starts friday?
>>
Does anyone know any good kids games?

I want to play more games with my niece but all the ones she owns are garbage, seriously if I play another MB piece of shit or fucking Game of Life I'm going to kill myself.

More importantly I think she realises they aren't very good too and I'd hate for her to be turned off boardgames the same way I was so I'd like to try and get her some good ones for christmas.

She's 8 and is really getting into science at the moment so that'd be a good theme.
>>
>>50340529
You haven't learned to go daydreaming whenever a woman speaks?
It solves most all problems.
>>
>>50337762

You're basically asking which one is best, and considering of those that you listed I see at least 3 different styles of play (1vmany, coop, free for all), an answer isn't so simple because preferences. I'll throw in what I know though.

>Descent

1E and 2E play somewhat differently. I believe 1E was a bit heavier of a game, can't say for certain though. I know the RPG aspects went a bit deeper in 1E. As it stands, I don't like 2E so much anymore, and easily find it one of my weakest 1vmany games. I heard /bgg/ talking about the full coop mode on apps I'll want to try out before I drop it though.

I've found The Others Seven Sins to be a massive upgrade to standard 2E Descent. It's lacking in the story department, and not much in the way of a campaign, but playing the overlord is actually fun. The same goes for the recently released Conan, but they've got some loose ends to work out before I have a final say on that game. As it stands it's fun, but there's a bunch of pieces they've released for the game that currently have little in the way of rules, and just sticking them in the game can upset balance greatly.

>Dungeonquest

DQ is certainly not like the others listed. There are no rpg aspects. You pick a character, and watch as that character slowly dies. I love the game to death, and it's usually one of the beginner games I introduce people to when they get tired of color and small number manipulation games and want something with a bit more style. Brutally difficult, but short set up time, and it's fun watching everyone else get murdered while hoping you don't.

>Zombicide

Zombicide is great arcade-y fun. You'll most likely get bored of it after several play throughs because it doesn't offer a whole lot of depth, but it's super easy to learn and teach.
>>
>>50341119

Honestly anon, if she's all about that science, get a science kit for her and you can both play around with it. No winning or losing, no competition, just learning and such.

Outside of that, there's the timeline games. There's a science version of it I believe.

All in all, I can't say I know any kid friendly science esque games. When my niece and nephew want to play games, we just play Poo the card game and fling shit at each other.

Oh, you could also get her some of those yummy nummies meal things. Its sort of like alchemy, you get to make tiny food (everyone loves tiny food), and you might actually find some of them rather tasty. Maybe? In anycase they can eat up a good 30 minutes or so of your time and they're only like 4 bucks.
>>
>>50341212
>if she's all about that science, get a science kit for her and you can both play around with it.

I actually got her one for her birthday last month :P
>>
What are some good board games to get my friends into playing more complex ones? I have Battlelore 2nd edition at the moment to introduce them to skirmish/war games and planning on getting Zombiecide but I don't know where to go from there.
>>
>>50341247
BIOS: Megafauna
BIOS: Evolution
Evolution
Compounded
Antidote
Linkage
CO2
Peptide
Pandemic family of games(dunno, researching and developing cures?)
Lab Wars
Timeline: Science and Discoveries
Dominant Species

Does Sci-fi count as science?

Also, I just found out 'Bill Nye the Science Guy's Way Cool Game o' Science' exists
>>
>>50341083
>Why aren't you dumping your money on the Kingdom death kickstarter this coming black Friday?

Kingdom Death is the one Kickstarter I regret never pledging to, because there's no way the reprint is going to be anywhere near as good of a deal as it originally was. Getting the base of a $400 game for only $100? Probably wouldn't feel as bad if I had never played it, but got a few sessions in on a friend's copy and it just made the regret worse.

Here's to hoping it'll at least be discounted to some degree. I don't need all the extra cheesecake or expansions, just the core box.
>>
>>50341652

Gotta give us more to go off of. What kind of games do you like? What kind of games do you think your friends will like? Or better yet, what kind of games would you like that you don't think your friends would hate? Coop, pvp, 1 vs many, deckbuilders, any given theme, etc. etc.

There's a whole mess of board games out there, so get as specific as possible.

>>50341247

Based unk', I do the same thing for mine. Family wants to get her garbage all the time, but she knows I'm always good for getting her something cool to tinker with.
>>
>>50341247

Oh, also, I was wrong. Yummy nummies is the trash brand. The brand you want to go for is called Kracie Popin Cookin. It prolly takes awhile to ship from china or wherever, but the reviews are good, and they're like 3.50 a box.
>>
>>50341804
I guess, rpg, dungeon crawlers, and skirmish/war games. Card games with rpg elements would probably be something most would get into since they like playing D&D
>>
>>50340670
Wait until you see the shipping prices.
That $10 Edo looked great even in maplebucks
>>
>>50342026
DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGON DILDOS
>>
>>50342022
I saw. I was planning on getting Claustrophobia and boom, $50+ on shipping. Not worth it since I can get it cheaper on Amazon.ca
>>
>>50342026
whoa, that's a big dildo
>>
I got a big thing that no longer has personal info visible :^)

>>50342051
>>50342034
>>
>>50342022
Goddamn jealous of you leafs... us beaners get fucked up the ass with shipping rates.
We're the southern neighbor to the US and for some unfathomable reason each. and. every. delivery. service. charges inter-fucking-continental rates. Such bullshit.
>>
>>50342074
What's inside.

WHAT'S INSIDE
>>
File: The plot thickens!.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
The plot thickens!.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>50342074
>>
>>50342100
what's with the green nail polish?
>>
>>50342087
Free shipping+10$ tax on a 200$+ purchase.
God damn I love caribou and loons.

>>50342114
The wife made a claim that things spent with money I don't have become hers.

"why of course, anon. Go pick up "my" package form the post office.

"I can't wait to play "my" games. I don't even know what they are!"
>>
>>50342139
Started out real good. There's more, isn't there?
>>
>>50342001

RPG

>Shadowrun crossfire
Fully coop deckbuilder, stupid hard, wants you to play a lot to "level up" and customize your deck. Get good enough, take on the mega bosses and challenges like dragons.

>Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Can't say a whole lot about this one because I'm waiting to get a full group to go through it (so that means probably never). It's got a campaign system, and you pick a class and modify your deck as you get stronger

>Descent 2e

Think you're better off just playing an actual RPG than this, but it's still not a completely awful option, and it's pretty much what you're looking for

>Dungeon Crawl

Gears of War, Arcadia Quest, Super Dungeon Explore, Rise of the Kage, The Others seven sins, Conan

>Skirmish/War Games

Neuroshima Hex!, Yashima, Summoner Wars, Chaos in the old world (a sort of war game)

Idk, seems like on this front I should be recommending warmachine, malifaux, and infinity.
>>
File: I regret nothing.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
I regret nothing.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>50342139
>>50342174
Not too much more. Ortus Regni boxes are large, chunky, beautiful things.

Between Ashes, Summoner Wars, Battlecon, Pixel Tactics, Hive,Twilight Struggle, and Gosu, I think buying an additional two player-only game may have been an error in judgement.
>>
>>50341683
Don't forget BIOS: Origins.
>>
>>50342198
You just watched all of All the Games You Like Are Bad's videos before you bought this, didn't you.
>>
>>50342187
>Skirmish
Krosmaster Arena, plastic chibis, game's OK
Guildball, my god, those miniatures are gorgeous.
Confrontation, OOP, solid game, excellent minis
Necromunda/Mordheim, skirmish mini's granddad, OOP as fuck, solid campaign mode, some design flaws show with age
>>
File: IMG-20161119-WA0003[1].jpg (1MB, 2176x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161119-WA0003[1].jpg
1MB, 2176x3264px
>>50342198
Once the binder and extra large books get relocated, they will join their brethren.

After being disappointed with the Mare Nostrum review videos, reading the rulebook in ten minutes has me really pumped. God damn this one looks like it will be a hoot. Pretty straightforward, elegant, as STEEVE put it (thanks for the suggestion, you loveable goof!), and varied. Really hope I can get 5 to the table, I want the whole sea to be available for shenanigan opportunities.
>>
>>50342264
If I'd saved that first pic you deleted I'd be on my way to raid your shelf. Good stuff.
>>
>>50342261
That what brought up Ortus Regni, yes. Playing it for free though over several nights with my bestie while he is in residence at the edge of the continent, THAT sealed the deal.

Nostrum was initially suggested by STEEV, along with another Anon putting Antiek II forth. Thoughtful cringe man helped tip scale a little bit, I'll admit.

Zee kept bringing up Blue Moon in a lot of top ten lists I caught in the past two weeks, which rekindled my interest after it was initially piqued during FFG's preview run of the game.

>not pictured: Theseus: the Dark Orbit, which I caught at a flgs having a five year anniversary sale, 15% off, in a place where tax adds up to 15%. That is hidden away for the wife to open up on Christmas morning. Hex is one of the first games that got us both into meatier games, and one of her favorites. Hope the designer kept the creative design juices flowing in this one. Been on my wishlist for years.

>>50342303
only if you played with me whatever you take first
>>
>>50342263

>Krosmaster

There's this guy in my area who was all about pushing it. I played a game against him, and it seemed interesting. Funny thing is his toxic personality killed the game completely. From throwing tantrums with store owners, to just being a shit head to deal with. I don't hear kros mentioned here very often, just kind of a funny memory, sort of sad though.

>Guild Ball

Alive and kicking in my area. Picked it up, but then it just sat around while I was building armies for too many other damn systems so I sold it off. Price point is nice and low for new players, and that's always a plus.

>Confrontation

I've actually gotten some of those minis without knowing what they were from at cons with people just selling spare minis. I thought what I found would make sweet minis for tabletop rpgs, turns out they're from a game. Some of the best damn werewolf sculpts out there.

>Necro/Mord

Dunno about necro, but there's always corehiem. Fan made, I think they got rid of all the wonky rules, but they stated that they killed the spirit of it sort of in the process. Would still play it given the opportunity.

Oh, also, there's frostgrave. I like the idea of using any mini you want to represent stuff. Cool way to have some really unique forces.
>>
>>50342303
>>50342264

Oh, also not featured: Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and El Grande: Decennial Edition (which I picked up for 40$ a few weeks ago in the boonies)
>>
Does anyone know a good site for Canadian buyers for boardgames?
>>
>>50342370
I got my pretty box of joy at BoardGame Bliss. I shopped at Starlit Citadel when I lived near their warehouse, as they do pickups, bot I noticed a lot of their games were more exensive than BGB. Bliss also has stupid cheap flat shipping rates in eastern provinces, while Starlit has the cheaper threshold for free shipping.

neither has Falling Skies, and are thus both objectively useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8
How was your drive to work this morning? I had to take my wife to the airport at 5 in the snowy/rainy/no visibility morning.
>>
>>50342370
espacejeux.tv if you're in Montreal, but I guess they ship around too.

It's nice to be able to pick up a game, the guy lives a few streets from me.
>>
>>50342360
Yeah, Krosmaster attracts a lot of toxic weaboos and manchildren, the board gaming scene doesn't take it too seriously, but local anime stores have regular tourneys.
They shifted their business model to blind booster packs. Screw that, the game is dead to me.
>>
>>50342692
>local anime stores
tf do you live
>>
>>50342757
>>50342757
In the land of drugs, criminals, rapists and (I assume) some good people.
Krosmaster really took off in Mexico City for some reason.
>>
File: 1451807291286.jpg (38KB, 358x370px) Image search: [Google]
1451807291286.jpg
38KB, 358x370px
>>50342827
>today i learn beaners have both anime stores and euro-level internaitonal shipping despite being america's pants.

Time to run north. All the way north.
>>
>>50342827
I've never seen it played and I know every single store that sells either Magic, Warhammer or X-Wing.
>>
File: pic18756_md.jpg (43KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
pic18756_md.jpg
43KB, 500x471px
Anyone ever play Edge City?

I love the cyberpunk-style aesthetic of it all, but I don't know if it's actually good or not.
>>
>>50342925
Lol you got me, I've never been to Mexico
>>
What do people think of the Arkham Horror LCG? I've never played a LCG before but was thinking of picking it up because the co-op play and deckbuilding sounded interesting.
>>
>>50340978
Bump.
>>
>>50343505
If it's anything like their last co-op LCG, it will be good but will require everyone you play it with to really buy into the system.
>>
>>50342074
>I got a big thing and never realized that archives exist! :^)
>>
>>50340529
>Dice Tower is complete garbage
>That and other news at 10.
>>
I just sold my Twilight Imperium game, and I don't regret anything. It was just too big, too long, and had too many rules, I couldn't handle it.

just kidding, I sold it because it wasn't big enough, and there weren't enough rules. Virgin Queen is my new waifu
>>
>>50340529

One of the hosts is "the board gaming pin up girl". She's fucking awful. And maybe someone needs to remind her that pin ups are all about objectification.

And that pin up girls werent fat.
>>
>>50339516
I paid $500 for the full Shadows of Brimstone pledge plus shipping back when the exchange rate was a lot better. I kinda regret it because it took me forever to cut out and glue together all the stuff from just the two core boxes, and I have a metric ton of more plastic still coming which I doubt I'll ever get to the table.
>>
>>50344982
Women think language is opression.
>>
File: 1479783082295[1].jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1479783082295[1].jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>50344630
It's fucking illegible anyway.
>>
Is Firefly: the Game worth getting? Our group ranges in get togethers of 4 to 8, though the single player aspect seems like it'd be good for learning how to play the game before introducing it to friends.

How about Panic Station? Amazon reviews mention using a different ruleset, any ideas on what the 2.2 rules do differently from the base rules?
>>
>>50341119
> Does anyone know any good kids games?

The King of Silence is my favorite one. You see who can be the King of Silence and be silent for the longest amount of time.

Works most of the time.
>>
>>50337914
You are absolutely right however I only have played the digital version - which I really like

>>50338523
Never played decent, but I definitely know about it. It sounds like a total skirmish game, which is very similar to Dungeon Saga. I'll admit, DS is the most fun I've had sober in a while, especially against someone who knows how "gaming" works. Its all about killing and effectively positioning your PCs to have the best advantage. Very much TBS vidya feel, but you could totally make a campaign using the Adventurers Companion.

>>50339585
Interesting, I really like the idea of PvP, but without a willing participant or an overlord the best opponent is yourself. Sadly Ai is impossible to emulate on the TT without creating play bottlenecks. Good to know. As a side note there was solo play rules in the D&D box I had bought (I think basic ed3?)

>>50339599
Never heard, but I'll check it out...

>>50341138
Wow, thanks for the great analysis, and at least since I have the modern Zombicide i'll tend to agree.

It sounds like crawlers (sorry Warhammer quest guy) tend to lack the ability to tell a story and give the players a sense of progression in a campaign sort of sense **unless** the "overlord" has a bigger picture in mind.

I'll admit that I really like/love the 3d aspect of the "crawlers" --- it makes it easier for a pleb like me to get into the game. The potential for randomness is also an appeal. It's never the same, granted in the same system, but I guess i'll need to DM better or have the PCs buy into a longer campaign to make these games more compelling.....

its just my thought.

Please critique
>>
>>50345026

FUCKING DO IT ! Shadows of Brimstone is so much fun. I mean, it's shit. But it's soooo immersive, engrossing. One of my legit favorite game, even though I'm well aware everything about it is wonky

>>50337680

bgg related ? Eh. How about just bg related ? My favourite memory from my childhood is playing Nightmare\atmosfear for the first time.
TO THE BLACK HOLE YOU MAGGOT !

>>50337762

Here be my experience (if X or Y isnt there, I didnt play it, simple as that)

My favorite is Shadows of Brimstone, but I have great fondness for the new Warhammer Quest (havent played the older one but I heard it's very similar to Brimstone...) and the Dungeons & Dragons that was only released in europe back in 03'
>>
>>50346582

I bought my 3ed? D&D set used at a game store, it had minis that were "painted", and a basic rule book which I thought was AWESOME! because of the ease of use and streamlined rules, again America is where I got it. So are you saying that there was an EU only release of 3ed Basic? (note this is a guess and I know nothing about boxed sets of D&D outside of something I saw as a kid in the 80's).

SofB is something I will now research. Thanks seemingly euro anon!
>>
>>50346626

No, I'm talking about a Hasbro\Parker released board game, it was like a "heroquest 2.0" with derpy minis. Tons of fun, playing the dungeon master is a bit boring as it tends to be with heroquest, though.
>>
>>50346696
Cool before i google-fu post your pictures!
>>
File: image1 (8).jpg (654KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image1 (8).jpg
654KB, 1632x1224px
>>50346709

Sure, here's a mock setup. Some of that stuff might be from the expansions. Blue & green dice are definitely from expansions.
>>
>>50346750
Oh my fucking god I had this game when I was a kid. Never played it though. I remember laying out the board and looking throgh the cards and the minis. Was it good?
>>
>>50346774

It's pretty fun, rules are simple and straightforward, feels a lot like heroquest. I like the combat dice (with different colors associated with different strength). Like I said, being the dungeon master isnt that fun unless ou really get into the storytelling, but oh well. Heroquest isnt without it's flaws either.

Btw you made me feel old as shit.
>>
>>50337762
Which one of these games would you recommend for a group of 4~6 players, I am looking for something that feels like a RPG videogame.

Each person has a class, and you need to kill monsters and do quests.

I thought about Descent, but the Overlord kinda bums out 1 person, and the app is only 1 campaign.

Also maybe something with a more unique combat system.
>>
>>50347320
>the app is only 1 campaign.
There's actually two, and the non-main quests are randomized. And there's the randomized dungeon mode. Take note the quests aren't Skyrim "go here and do this" but whole missions with different setup and objectives.
>>
>>50346366

Well, I mean, board games never tend to be great at story telling. The best I've seen is descent, but that's less of an immersive world and more like playing house of the dead or star fox, where outcome A or B depends on if you win or lose. Even then, sometimes it's not even that much. Losing just means the overlord is a little stronger on the next go around, or a few lines of text change. Story wise, you could do just as well buying a bunch of prepainted pathfinder/d&d zombies minis, drawing up the map of a tomb, and placing points of interest on a map as well as spawning points, and using a deck of cards or dice to determine what happens/how things behave.

For example.

>The players are looking for the lost idol of Koth in order to push back an evil invading the land. Rumors say it was stolen by a grave robber. Research shows the robber was last heard of going to a tomb. Players start at entrance. Lots of bodies in the place, one has the idol.
>One player investigates a body
>roll 5+ on d20, or draw a 5+ from a deck
>The dead hunger!
>spawn X zombies in spawn locations
>draw card for behavior
>drew a heart
>zombies proceed to attack the character with the lowest health, or any character within x distance

And so on and so forth. You just can't get a very rich story from most board games like you can a well done actual RPG.
>>
>>50341119
King of Tokyo? It's got science fiction monsters.

I think Takenoko would be fun for a young lady. It's got pandas plus you have to use strategy and reasoning.
>>
File: wayshegoes.jpg (18KB, 403x226px) Image search: [Google]
wayshegoes.jpg
18KB, 403x226px
>>50342898
I see he's met my friends.
>>
>>50335399
There are plenty of expensive non-plastic kickstarters. I played this one crap co-op cube pusher, Bloc By Bloc, that got me so triggered I looked it up. It was $50 + shipping. Holy fuck it still makes me angry. I got Mechs vs Minions for less than $20 more than a game that comes with 6 small-ass dice, 80 smaller-ass cubes, ~150 cards, and 25 cardboard tiles... Where the fuck did the money go?
I bring it up again because I just listened to The Secret Cabal and they loved that shitty game. It firmly solidifies my distrust of Jamie Keagy's opinions.
>>50340435
It's a college board game club, spergs are more frequent. Some shitter was probably being shitty outside the limits of the game and someone else finally had had enough.
>>50344982
>>50340529
Ooooh, it's those two? Haven't looked at it yet but of all the segments I skip on Board Game Breakfast, theirs is out of pure cringe.... That said, I don't mind them having a hot take on inclusiveness and asking Tom to put it on the channel. While we can argue about whether it's an actual issue (it is), no ones shoving their YouTube video down your throat. I just wish when people do stuff like this, that their thoughts are more organized, and if it has to be a video, someone with some actual charisma should do it
>>
File: farva.jpg (77KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
farva.jpg
77KB, 640x360px
>>50348734
Never shit a shitter
>>
>>50348734
>While we can argue about whether it's an actual issue (it is)

It really isn't.

And even if it was no one seems to have anything approaching a solution beyond mandatory diversity which defeats the entire object of the exercise.

It's just attention seeking, whining, and self victimisation.
>>
Best pandemic expansion?
>>
>>50341119
HABA
https://www.amazon.com/HABA-Animal-Upon-Classic-Stacking/dp/B001IM4CSU

Qwirkle
https://www.amazon.com/MindWare-MDS-32016W-Qwirkle-Board/dp/1933054395/

Dixit
https://www.amazon.com/Dixit-Cover-Art-May-Vary/dp/2914849656/

Sequence
https://www.amazon.com/Jax-8002-Sequence-Game/dp/B00000IVAK

All games I've introduced to my niece when she was 5-7.
>>
>>50349289
Missed the science comment, you can try CodeMaster as well but I've not played it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Code-Master-Programming-Logic-Game/dp/B014993TCI
>>
>>50349138
No reasonable person wants forced diversity. Really the only things we have to be on alert for are fuckheads messaging girls in the group with abusive shit, inappropriate aggressiveness, and perverts (some older single men are so deprived, they brush their arm against a tit while reaching across the table enough times without apologizing that it can't be an accident). When you see it, call it out. Like fire prevention, just because it's 1 in 10,000 doesn't mean you let your guard down
>>
>>50349371

Some of the stories I've heard about folks in my local area, sheesh. My only regret is I never actually see any of this stuff happening. It's always a story told by a friend or the like. I've had some crazy life experiences by just being in the right place at the right time, but the two I've never seen that I really really want to see is a physical fight at a war gaming tournament, and some dude going maximum creep/cringe in public. All these stories I hear, yet I'm never there to see them first hand.
>>
>>50349371
>No reasonable person wants forced diversity.

It's a shame people aren't reasonable then. You literally have people giving bad reviews to games because it doesn't have women or minorities in it. They don't care about the actual game or the hobby as a whole.

It's the same thing that happened to video games and oh look video games are dogshit now.

>Really the only things we have to be on alert for are fuckheads messaging girls in the group with abusive shit, inappropriate aggressiveness, and perverts (some older single men are so deprived, they brush their arm against a tit while reaching across the table enough times without apologizing that it can't be an accident).

I go to the UKGE every year, in a good week I'll go to 3 games clubs and I have literally never seen or heard of anything like this happening. EVER. Not once and yet people talk about it like it's endemic.

I could if I wanted to go to a 4th club but I don't because it's a "safe space", people have become so wrapped up in this nonsense that they've started enforcing draconian rules about not only what you can and can't play but what you can and can't say. It's coddling nonsense.

>When you see it, call it out. Like fire prevention, just because it's 1 in 10,000 doesn't mean you let your guard down

It also doesn't mean you go overly on the defencive. It's the same logic as the "everything is sexist, everything is racist" mentality. If you approach a situation like that you are going to see it whether it happens or not.

And it doesn't mean that you expect change on a monolithic scale for individual transgressions. If someone at a BG event does something inappropriate it means that person has a problem not the community.
>>
>>50349733
>it's coddling nonsense
Yeah. Whenever I tried (and believe me, I TRIED) to get a girl to come to game night they'd almost always decline. My group is super respectful, no boy's club nonsense or desperate virgin shenanigans.
The few that did come always left saying they'd had fun, but rarely came back, if ever. Even our group's wives will just sit out and chatter.
I know girls who are actually into gaming, anime, vidya, sci-fi, and comics, which are mainly "guy things", and even they can't explain why girls in general aren't attracted to geeky hobbies. They exclude themselves.
Then I see this "muh demographic equality!" wankjobs.
>>
>>50349185

On the Brink, or just get Legacy if you don't already have it.
>>
>>50349733
I thought you meant forced diversity as in "let's bus all the women and minorities into the convention." Women characters in games are slightly different.

Some reviewers are like the gaming equivalent of single issue voters, or parental advisory movie critics. If the only thing they rate a game on is female characters, that's still useful to someone (mostly gamers with daughters I'd guess). I *would* say that calling a game bad because of that one issue is extreme, maybe even misleading. But I don't tell people how to vote, or which pundits to listen to.

About the incidents I listed, especially perverts: I know I've let relative strangers down by not noticing and not saying something, only to be told what happened later by a trusted friend. Smiling monsters use the fact that it could be an accident, or that it's so quick/slight that it will go unnoticed. They use the fact that they're friends with you so that the women they perv on won't say anything to you. It's not endemic, but I've met enough gamers to have run into one confirmed monster and another questionable incident from someone I don't really trust. And I haven't been in the hobby that long

It's a young man's game to trust smiling strangers. Now I'm at the point where with every potential new friend, I think to myself "Does he have a wife or girlfriend? Have I met her and do they seem happy? If not, have I known him long enough to get a good read on his personality? Have I been to his home and does he seem normal? Do I at least know where he stands if I bring one of my female friends to game night?" With my guy friends, I have to ask myself "Will his aggressiveness or bad innuendo make me look bad if I bring him to game night?"

I think advocating questions like this are the bare minimum. It doesn't need enforcement. As you've mentioned, people who aren't willing to be vigilant will self-select out of inclusive environments. Sure, some rules are dumb but I think we'll eventually figure it out
>>
>>50350345
Probably the same reason your non-gamer male friends aren't that interested
>>
>>50350446
So how do you fill their race/gender quota when no one but white male geeks are even into the hobby?
>>
>>50342139
Anon didn't dissapoint.
>>50342264
Good luck, hope it goes over as well with your group as it has with mine.

>>50344728
Got me.

>all this diversity drama
I'm too tired for this shit. "Don't be a dick" is the universal solution to this and 90%+ of all internet or social drama and butthurt.
>>
>>50350510
The same way they do for everything else:

Begin removing white men so it becomes "fair."
>>
>>50350510
>>50350526
who says there's a quota? who's calling for this?

also I'm finally watching the video. It's not bad, everyone's making a big deal out of nothing. And Suzanne's in it. Suzanne's great
>>
>>50350672
Rephrasing:
How do you make them feel like they're reasonably well represented as a demographic when their own demographic excludes itself from hobby related events and activities?
>>
>>50350982
Talking about females?
You don't, fuck em.
Women in general are interested in one thing and one thing only. Themselves and how they can garner any attention towards themselves.
They fucked up video gaming with their vagina shenanigans and they can fuck off before they do the same thing to board games.
>>
>>50350982
True, there are more non-gamer women in the world than gamer women
Also, there are more non-gamer men in the world than gamer men

Then why are there men in games when so many men aren't gamers?

>how do you make them feel like they're reasonably well represented
We really don't have to do anything. When publishers want to add minority groups to their games and organizers come up with ways to be more inclusive we just don't get in their way
>>
File: NumberOne.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
NumberOne.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>50350982
They talk about that in the video. It really isn't that offensive a video. They talk about some examples of people being dicks like someone assuming Suzzanne could read Japanese or someone assuming the girl needed help with how to play and back seat gaming and basically go into it with nothing more than a "Don't do this" message. Suzanne also says that people in that position should politely talk about it and not take that as an attack, that people sometimes don't realize they're doing that.

As for what should change? I'm not a person who thinks that you need to alter historical events to be diverse, but fantasy games especially wouldn't hurt to make male/female a 50/50 split rather than 3 guys and a token female. And while there are some cases of extremism against it, it's not an all together wrong message that female characters in games are dressed and drawn with sexy proportions in rather inappropriate situations. This is a board game, not a time to whip out your dick.
>>
>>50351327
I agree that women could be better clothed in the art in games generally, but as a gay man I can also say that the men are usually just as ridiculously "proportioned" as the women can be.

It's just how "super"heroes are drawn. We have an idea of what makes a man/woman attractive, and certainly anyone worthy of the title super should fit into it, in a fictional setting. Only an idiot with no self-esteem would actually take offense to such a portrayal.
>>
>>50350982
>>50351124
actually, let me be really clear in a language 4chan understands. I'm done after this I promise
when a man meets another man, he's either /ourguy/ or a Chad. For whatever reason anons don't recognize the existence of "Chads" (re:normies, casuals) when constructing arguments about >gamer girls.

When "Chad" (one of the many millions) picks up gaming casually, there are no shitstorms. He's just /ourguy/ now

I don't doubt for a fucking minute that some anons reading this think to themselves "of course most men are gamers" or ">tripfag >[insert logical fallacy here]"

The fallacy is thinking we are the gatekeepers. In reality no one person or group gets to decide the rules of engagement. Exclusive cohorts are slowly shrinking because inclusiveness is better for business. Some old dogs won't adapt but except for anons crying out, I already feel like we're entering a gender-equitable gamer culture
>>
>>50351430

Where did you get your definition of what a Chad is from? I frequent a few boards, and the title comes up a lot in /r9k/ and /fit/, but it never means casual or normie.
>>
Eh, I just needed some 4chan lingo to make a point. It's just 3 different versions of Us versus Them found on 4chan but I think they all apply to my argument
>>
>>50351413
It's a fair enough discussion, and I think there's a fine line, but some people cross it pretty blatantly. Not that much these days, but some still do.

That being said, I also got into a discussion where someone listed a series of games with "offensive art" and Millennium Blades was on the list. Millennium Blades is one of the most appropriate. All their player characters are well dressed and posed with a 50/50 split. Some of the cards were sexy by nature of what they were parodying but for every 1 sexy female on the card art, there were 2 perfectly fine ones in the deck and 1 sexy male to go with it. Even their sexy ones which exist by nature of the art they're parodying, were significantly toned down from the average yu-gi-oh card. I've never had a girl have trouble with Millennium Blades.
>>
>>50351567

Lol, not getting autistic about it (tried to avoid that tone, and failed), just curious.
>>
>>50345566
It's ok if everyone is a fan of the game and you have a couple of the expansions. Otherwise Xia is apparently better.
>>
>>50345566
Firefly is too random and too low-interaction for my tastes, and too long to forgive those faults easily. It's crammed with flavor and references if that's all you want, but as a game I think it falls pretty flat.
>>
>>50351652
The one time I played I'm pretty sure we were playing with some expansions (more reavers, different ships, etc) and the interaction seemed pretty good. Definitely better than your standard Euro for example, were you just playing the base game? As for the rest I think you're correct. It's fun if you're a fan of the show, but otherwise there's probably better games out there.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 736x552px
I know its not as old as a lot of the other games posted, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Heroscape.
>>
>>50351800
My last play was all expansions AND playing the PvP pirates scenario. Still thought there wasn't enough interaction, but definitely an improvement.
>>
>>50347320
"unique" combat systems seldom work in crawlers, the best are super barebones dice checking but reward you for picking your battles.
The more math or mechanics you put into combat the less time you put into actually playing the game, that's why I don't like anything I've seen of the Dark Souls board game to date.
>>
>>50349371
>No reasonable person
Whines about diversity.
I've never seen a mexican character in anything that isn't a taco nigger or cowboy stereotype. I don't care, I relate to characters based on their actions and personalities, not their skin colors, genitals and nationalities.
>>
>>50349465
>My only regret is I never actually see any of this stuff happening.
How do you know it actually happened?
>>
>>50352740
Reliable sources? I don't doubt my own friends when they tell me about something just because I wasn't there for it. Something to keep in mind is stories of "that guy", as commonly as they are told, are not the average gaming experience.

I've only once had a girl play in my group and noticeably have an impact. Now 2 girls we're well acquainted with join us for boardgame night all the time and goes over perfectly fine. That being said, I once brought a new girl to the group for a game of Cosmic Encounter. 6 players, the 4 other guys in the game at the time were pretty obviously allied with the new girl, constantly trying to get her attention and slowing down the game, refusing to attack, making horribly sub optimal moves and handing the victory to her on a silver platter. It felt horribly wrong and even she knew it.
>>
>>50352670
you forgot luchadores
>>
anyone get any deals today?

last weekend?

Target sale was meh for me and so is Miniature Market's sale :-(
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (2MB, 2752x3192px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
2MB, 2752x3192px
>bundle +$99 for the core box

Are these bundles good value? Not everything has been revealed yet but maybe some anons who know their shit and have experience with KS stuff have a feel for this kind of thing.
>>
>>50353546

Thinking about dropping out of the KS just because I'm a completist and they've been adding too much shit for me to keep up.
>>
>>50353614
I'm feeling you. Trying to condition my brain to understand that some of the add-ons are really totally unnecessary. I'm trying to rationalize it by telling myself that I usually never spend that much money and that I can allow myself a treat once every blue moon and that I get a nice Christmas bonus and have some nice savings and all that but still... it's a lot of money for something I won't be able to enjoy for over a year.
>>
>>50353677

Well I should also mention that I'm backing the new Shadows of Brimstone core set as well. They both end on the same day too. I cannot spend 750+ dollarinos, I'm not even sure my credit card would allow for so much decadence.
>>
>>50353733
Damn that's rough. You really wanna go through with that? I don't know anything about SoB but if they are even slightly similar I'd drop one of them because that's a lot of money to spend at once.
>>
>>50353769
>>50353733
>>50353677
>>50353614
>>50353546

Mythic Battles live stream in 10 seconds.
>>
>>50353769

I reviewed the bundles for mythic battles and canceled my pledge. A sad thing as I love mythic battle's theme, but Shadows of Brimstone is one of my favorite games ever so it wins by default.
>>
>>50353795
Sucks to see you drop MB:P but financially definitely a smart decision.
>>
>>50337680
>Late 80s, suburbs of Detroit, comfy brick house
>Play board games with Mom on Sunday mornings
>Sorry, Fireball Island, Guess Who, Operation
>Warm, fuzzy, happy memories

I'm in my thirties now and we still play board games when we travel to see each other. Now we play games like Blueprints, Istanbul, Tobago, and Longhorn.

I love the hell out of my Mother.
>>
>>50353944
You are an anon of heart. Mother raised a good person, and you still carrying that onwards is beautiful.

>The mom is not a gamer, but enjoys dominoes, cribbage, and Scrabble.
> I begrudgingly play Mexican trains with her and my wife at my partner's insistence
>She liked Hive, but I haven't brought it over in a while
> She loved codenames, but that we'll probably play with the whole family

I...I think I'm a mediocre son, guys
>>
So what's a must-have board game I should buy to start my collection?
>>
>>50354466
Monopoly
>>
>>50354466
Chess.

Come on man, give us something. What kind of game would you like to have?
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 768x439px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 768x439px
Howdy, can I get something off my chest?

>>50340529
Inclusiveness... I played a few rounds of BF1 the other day... The text chat in that game is something to behold, "trump this, nigerias out, you can't report me etc..." Here I was getting really pissed for some reason, but then someone typed out the following. "You kids are so sensitive, grow thicker skin". And I thought to my self hey, that's right, I'm over the age of 40 and I should not be offended easily, I should not let racism affect me, I also should be confident in the person I am. Remember the saying as a kid? Sticks and stones may break my bones? Well I'm under the personal feeling that we need to get back to these roots. Sadly the squeakiest wheels often get the grease, so now everyone needs to be on board for everything. This is inheritedly a bad thing since, many times, rules of playing field are changed to satiate the often vocal minority. I'm not talking about gay marriage, but insignificant shit like muh white privilege, or women portrayed as objects in games etc.... Look at TV comedies, advertisements etc, they are classic examples of what sells, controversy sex and the like. It's quite simple, if you need a special snowflake hug box then stay in your own support group, if you can't handle that don't go outside, talk to anyone, or view any modern media, it's bound to just trigger you. Now when I was a youth my parents told me to stand up straight, look someone in the eye when talking to them, and to be proud of yourself. If you haven't figured out that there are different people in the world with different attitudes, lifestyles, and habits then I'm sorry you probably have some growing up to do. Grow some thicker skin.

Kevin Nash said "take shower, hit the weights, get a clue", it's something to take to heart, basically work for what you want to achieve and don't blame others for your perceived failures and inadequacy.

Anyway /bgg/ related, race car best monopoly piece!
>>
>>50355064
>He likes the car
>When the game has a hat

What a maroon!
>>
>>50355538
Ma·roon
məˈro͞on/
noun
noun: Maroon; plural noun: Maroons

a member of any of various communities in parts of the Caribbean who were originally descended from escaped slaves. In the 18th century Jamaican Maroons fought two wars against the British settlers, both of which ended with treaties affirming the independence of the Maroons.
>>
>>50355673
What is it like to be this much of an ignoramus?
A nimrod is you, anon!
>>
File: image.jpg (723KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
723KB, 2700x1800px
>>50355538
You meant macaroon right?

Mmmmmm inclusiveness,,
>>
>>50355064

I dunno anon as much as I hate the constant whining I'm not a fan of the "Just shut up and bear it" attitude either.

It's just going from one extreme to the other.

Besides everyone knows the boat is best.
>>
>>50356000
It's both important and very easy to kick asshole behaviour on the teeth without accusing entire gender or race groups of responsibility for the lack of participation of other race or gender groups. Certainly there are assholes in the gaming community and certainly most of them are white men, but the moment you assign blame for those assholes to the entire group you're as guilty of racism or sexism or whatever other label for bigoted behaviour you want as the worst of them.
>>
>>50356000
I keep seeing things about Zombiecide but i don't know anything about it. I'll spare the blog post but i'm doing a gift exchange with my normie neighbor who i'm sweet on, would it be a good game for her? She's into the walking dead and in her words wants to try out other board games that aren't parcheesi
>>
Anybody back the deep madness ks? Looks pretty sweet.
>>
>>50357033
I did for 200 for the early bird core game and the 2 expansions + monster deal
>>
>>50357072
Did the same thing but for 250. I wis i just did the base pledge, tbe dollar may be better in Jan/Feb. Cant be any worse than now!
>>
>>50357090
I wanted to go higher, at least for the Devourer of Worlds and some extra sets of dice but i opted not to, maybe when the backer kit comes out i'll add to it
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>50356921
Well there's 2 versions of the game, the original which is modern and Black Plague which is low? fantasy. I think the BP is more streamlined (haven't played it though) from a users standpoint due to quality of life upgrades (the character trays and bits are more organized) but then you are also in fantasy realm which may not appeal to your sweety. The original is simple to learn, but I think it's biggest criticism was it got samey after awhile, with the expansions the game offered twists on the original, but I guess you could say it was like DLC and didn't affect the base game in huge ways (not really sure if this true either since there are so many different zombies and combinations that you could concoct). It does lack in someways as far as long term commitment to your characters since the original,did not account for "campaigns" each "mission" was more like a stand alone Vidya level where items skills etc did not carry over to the next one and it was very story lite. They did make ways to do a campaign though and there exists components that help with this (experience cards for weapons etc. as well as rules on how items and skills carry over to the next mission), but to find this official information you'll need to either buy the compendium and also have an expansion or two to round out your set.

While some may contend that these fact limits your play options, I could counter that this makes a great game to create your own custom senarios much easier than other games. The rules are a framework and you can tweak them if the game is too difficult or too easy (it won't be easy). The tiles are neat too and with expansions or tile sets you can make a fucking huge ass city if you wanted to. I'd say the orignal base game is worth 30-40$ used. And if you like zombies and an easy to pick up game that can be played solo you really can't miss.
>>
>>50355064
I don't get why one side should bear the brunt of the effects of being around inconsiderate dicks while the other is blissfully unaware to something they might be doing wrong, especially when it's more common than not.

>>50356901
Broad accusations is always a bad idea in terms of how logical it is or how easy it will be to refute it, but so is ignoring the problem or continuing to contribute to it when you've acknowledged it as a problem.

Personally, knowledge + enlightenment is more important than blaming a particular side, once people know what they're doing wrong and why, they will usually stop doing it. The problems come when they actively resist it.

>>50356921
It should be fine, Dead of Winter is closer to the Walking Dead in terms of atmosphere, but requires more players to be fun if I remember correctly.
>>
>>50357130
There was a couple really big mini games going on at the same time, I wanted most of them, but decided to hold back the urge and just stick with DM. Yes, I wants me a couple extra
Sets of the dice, the black/red ones were pretty sick. I will likely add the book too. Might as well.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>50357166
Well I guess, hmmm, put it this way. Some one calling me a n!gger doesn't affect my life in a way that a punch to face would. I'm not ignoring it nor do I care to correct the individual saying it because they can fuck their own life up without my opinion.

People are jerks, I hate them, but not enough for me to stop what I'm doing to interact with them.

Now talk about muh mama and you better being packing.

Btw after the race car the cannon/arty best piece

Hat shoe thimble iron shit, battleship right under cannon, then dog.
>>
>>50357272
That's a fair position to take. In cases where they just don't know, then speaking up about can make others think twice about doing it again in the future. With cases like the BF1 text chat above however, they probably know plenty what they're doing wrong, and as with all trolls not feeding them is the next best thing.

I remember enough about Monopoly, so Q tile best Scrabble tile.
>>
>>50357442
don't remember*
>>
I'm a battleship man myself
>>
miniature market sale. seems like things are mostly 50% off retail. not a lot of big games, but there are lots of pages

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=thanksgiving+sale
>>
>>50357158
Cool! I didn't think about looking for a used one. I'll probably just go with the base game for now since it's a modern setting. If she's into it maybe i show her the expansions. The video gameyness would probably be a plus since i don't think she'd want to deal with the book keeping.
>>50357166
I have Dead of Winter but i was thinking that something more co-op would be a good start.
>>
>>50357648
okay things of note that I've found
pandemic legacy, arctic scavengers recon expansion, deception murder in hong kong, seafall, viceroy, nightfall, trains, citadels, dixit memories,
>>
>>50357442
I can tell you are good guy, probably not as jaded as myself. it's hard to take a stand in life and it's easy to go through life ignoring things. For this I shake your hand. While I'm not a person to go out of my way, I'm glad there's people like you who do. Like you suggest there are individuals who just need to be steered, at the very least, into a tolerant direction. Maybe the word is mentoring rather than forcing and face to face games like the ones we are discussing provides the perfect opportunity to do so.

Keep with the good fight.

"Q" huh, well I'm an "X" man myself. I've only hit the "QUIZZES" a few times....
>>
>>50357739
Zombicide seems fine then, though I admit I don't know much about it. In case you're looking for alternatives, there's Zombie 15 , Dead Panic, and Last Night on Earth.
>>
>>50353614
Yeah it's like "the first one's free!" marketing but instead of a drug pop the sample is a three course meal with hotel accomodations and isn't quite free.
>>
>>50357739
BTW, there are actually 3 different sets of the original Zombicide that are considered "core" sets.

The original - season 1
Prison outbreak - "season 2"
Rue Morgue - "season 3"

The boxed expansions are
Angry Neighbors
Toxic mall

As far as core sets The first is the most basic with few zombie variations, the second has some different mechanics such as security doors and barriers I think along with a another zombie type, and the third expands it a bit further.

I say this just to confuse you, but you should take some time on YouTube or an ecommerce site to see which one you might want. And if you want one extra, I say get the dogs (not too expensive just the minis and cards) or the toxic mall expansion which adds toxic zombies and some tiles (not that bad of a value ~35$).

Btw there are a whole bunch of additional characters that can be purchased in separate booster boxes, they are optional of course. Check the zombicide website for more stuff they have posted a huge amount of content on there for free (like the character stats for all the extra characters and additional free missions - one reason why the game is a good buy)
>>
>>50356000
>>50357166
Problem is those SJW fags take offense in behalf of others when it's not their right or privilege to tell either "normies" or "non-normies" (because this is what it all comes down to, suburban white women bored to shit with their easy lives telling us queers and coloreds that we're not normal and need to be handled differently).

Speedy Gonzales is not a hateful racial stereotype, Queer IS a hateful othering word not a term of "alliance". Mind your own fucking business and let individuals set the boundaries of their comfort within social interactions. In the end the right calling black people obsolete farm equipment and the left calling them poor opressed victims of a system they don't understand are both equally objectifying and diminishing of black people's value as individuals members of society.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (173KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
173KB, 1200x900px
Anybody have a good storage/setup solution for the resources in Mare Nostrum? Putting them in piles like this gets pretty messy as they fall over and what not quickly.

I thought about leaving them in the box and just putting labels on each slot, but then you'd need a 'banker' and that's not as fun or fast as everyone just grabbing at it.

I might end up papercrafting a little divider, as getting one from a hardware store (like I did for Eclipse's ship components) seems overkill here.
>>
What's the opinion on Mansions of Madness? I'm thinking of getting it for a freind for a Christmas gift, but I've seen some mixed reviews about it. Mostly I'm concerned about things being less fun for the players than the keeper.

Also, if it matters significantly, I'm looking at the first edition, not the second edition (which is sadly sold out in my area).
>>
>>50358346
Large pill organizers are perfect for this
>>
>>50358346
>papercraft
You should probably just foamcore an entire insert but papercrafting up something just for the resources would be a good start.
>>
>>50358346
I wish I had a good solution already figured out for this.
>>
File: All of my NOPE.gif (899KB, 158x129px) Image search: [Google]
All of my NOPE.gif
899KB, 158x129px
>>50355853
They look like little colored breakfast sandwiches or mini cheese-burgers. It's down right disturbing!
>>
File: 1275531179977.jpg (59KB, 450x588px) Image search: [Google]
1275531179977.jpg
59KB, 450x588px
I was really looking forward to getting the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World for Christmas or buying it myself afterward. I found out today that it's out of print and won't be reprinted. Now I'd be lucky to find it under $200 used. FML.

There's a funny story about it though. I got the base game last year from my sister, and she told me today that she almost got the expansion as well back then (for about $30) ahead of my next birthday but figured I might not like the game enough and it would be safer to wait. When she saw it on my wishlist last month she went to buy it and got told it was out of print. She looked online and saw it for like $700 on Amazon. She says she spent a week telling herself what a "goddamn retard" she was and thinking how she could have had a "stupid fucking box" worth hundreds of dollars in a closet right about now.

Heh.

In better news, my town has had a board game café for two months now and I've been spending entirely too much time and money there. Hopefully they manage to stay afloat.
>>
>>50358172
You're not wrong, it is pretty irritating when the issue gets forced down your throat by someone who isn't actually offended by it, or when someone with no intention of offending anyone gets the backlash from overzealous SJWs. Thanks to that those with real problems get dismissed by those who are offended by the SJW's methods. And thus the cycle continues.

The only consolation is that there's more awareness on the issue recently than in the past, though if things continue as is, with violent reactions from both sides, nothing will change.

>>50358504
Most of the 1 vs all games really require the 1 to "play fair" in a sense, so maybe avoid if you think it might be less fun for your friend. Maybe get Eldritch Horror if you still want a "horror" title? There's also the recently released Arkham Horror LCG.

>>50358346
Agreeing with >>50358640, though note it's kind of less fun to finger the pill box for tokens if they're too small. Papercraft is pretty good too, though the amount of resources seem too little for each type to be worth it if you don't want to mix them up.
>>
>>50358884
I wound up with the poker chip resources for mare nostrum after BGG.con. I really like how the game looks but know nothing about it and don't have the game to go with the chips. Do you think I should pick up the game? What makes it good or different from other games?
>>
>>50355064
I appreciate someone of your age chiming in (I'm getting presumptive but let's just say we don't see posts like that on /bgg/ often).

Unfortunately I'm afraid I didn't get your point.

Who here needs thicker skin? I'm actually fairly proud of how /bgg/ is discussing it, given how 4chan discussions usually devolve. It's certainly not the women in the video who need thicker skin. They of course knew they'd be verbally abused and get hateful replies, but they made the video anyway because they knew what they were saying is important.

Inheretedly isn't a word, and your train of thought appears to have derailed, but I'm assuming you mean that it's inherently a bad thing that vocal minorities are getting attention for speaking out. I get why so many gamers feel that way. They think that their personal comfort with the way things are is a vote for the status quo, and that the majority should rule.

But I know for a FACT that the gaming community would be a better place with more women in it. I haven't counted (neither have you), but I think more gamers feel that way than don't. Of course there's not much I can do to draw non-gamer women into the hobby, but I sure as hell won't turn them away. I'm proud to have advocated for women joining my group back before they were welcome, and when I see the meetup organizer inviting women bystanders watching us set up to join us, it feels damn good.

>Sex sells
True. Thankfully, I think we can do a lot to be inclusive without removing those bodacious babes from games.

On your Kevin Nash quote (I had to look it up, he's a WWE star?)... what? Do women have to work hard to be gamers? Did the rest of us have to work hard to be gamers?

Again thanks for contributing and fuck you thimble4lyfe

>>50356901
Who's doing that though? We haven't had a #yesallmen trend in board gaming and we can hope for now that the community is smarter than that
>>
>>50358346
For some games I use silicone cupcake liners, for others I use Dollar Tree mini food containers that come in a pack of 10 for $1. I would absolutely recommend either one
>>
>>50357648
More like this?

Where are the Black Friday sales?
>>
>>50359568
i think they start on friday
>>
>>50359568
Target and Barnes and Noble both did 30% off sales this weekend, and Amazon dropped prices on dozens of games to try to stay competitive

Definitely keep tabs on the hot deals forum on board game geek
>>
>>50359616
>>50359620
Is there any way to have some hints of which games might go on sale? Any hot games to watch for? My collection is quite small, and my wishlist is a bit short at the moment, so I'd be willing to forego some of that for a one-a-year kind of deal if the game is good.
>>
>>50359657
Camelcamelcamel.com for amazon price alerts, as they happen. Sometimes the deals disappear within seconds. Otherwise not really
>>
Most of my board gaming is done with friends at a local bar we go to (they're fine with what we do). So the games have to be something that won't take 2+ hours, aren't too complicated so we can keep following it when drunk, and don't have too many pieces so we don't have too great a risk of losing stuff. So basic card games and stuff like Secret Hitler are currently our favourites.

Any suggestions for new games?
>>
Hey guys. I'm too poor to afford more than one game at the moment (but still need a new game because reasons). Would really appreciate if anyone could tell me whether they enjoyed any of the following; I'm not really comparing them to each other, since they're different genres, but I'd like to make sure I'm not about to waste a bunch of money if I buy one of them.

>Eclipse
>Civilization
>Forbidden Stars
>SW: Imperial Assault

Thanks anons
>>
>>50359393
This comes down to a simple thing, you're being used.
Nerd hobbies in america are a sort of last resort for people who didn't fit in growing up. And an industry grew up with us because we're often people who happen to have dispossable income and enjoy buying overprized cardboard so long as it is tied to esoteric rules.

Now companies that grew with us came under the eye of bigger companies feeling the growth aches of capitalism, stockholders are insatiable and don't give a shit if the companies go down, mergers and rebrands abound. They want mass appeal and they want it now, every product must be coca-cola, NOW! But they can't just say that, because consumers are tricky and don't like to feel like they're being forced to buy stuff or pandered to, so they have to use newspeak to try their large scale sales pitch, "inclusiveness" is the current word for it.

It isn't working because it can't work. Mexicans don't stop loving soccer when the best players aren't brown, and competitive female gamers, the audience for the fighting game genre, enormously gravitate towards Soul Calibur despite the massive breast and fetish costumes because they like 8-way run more than footsies.

The inclusivity mass appeal panderplot isn't working because no matter how much fujoshits may like your yaoi prettyboy setting that makes privileged evil white male heteropatriarchs cringe, they will not buy the game if they're not gamers. And most people, like it or not are not gamers.

If your companie wants female bucks so hard it's time you start pandering to sportswomen and dorito gremlins instead of tumblr whales. Look for people who already like games and convert them into yours, asking us evil gamer grognards to stop scaring away your "potential costumers" on the internet is not gonna solve a shit because most of us only don't even leave the basement anymore now that we have internet shopping.
>>
>>50359393
>But I know for a FACT that the gaming community would be a better place with more women in it.
You are a complete fucking retard
>Tripshit
Well there we go then.
>>
What's on your 2017 Wishlist so far?

At the top of mine is:
>Council of Four (reprint)
>Anachrony
>Sagrada
>>
Alright guys a serious rift is developing among the super mature adults at my table over "muh competition" dickwaving.

I need a nice 4 player co-operative game of some sort. Any recommendations? I'm seriously considering picking up Gears of War but I am sure that's not the option.

For the love of god please no more PvP games
>>
>>50360010
padnemic :D
>>
>>50360015

I didn't realize this was co-operative before. Looks great actually. Thanks anon!
>>
>making wishlist on amazon
>antike ii comes in
>wtf
>i must have ordered it by accident
I don't know whether I want to return it.
>>
>>50359932
Anachrony
Feudum
Tiny Epic Quest
Feast for Odin
Hopefully Solarius Mission and Round House.
>>
Any anons have opinions on Tragedy Looper? I'm contemplating between buying it or just saving up to buy both Worlds of Android and The Investigators of Arkham Horror books instead. Thoughts on how complex is it, how replayable, etc.?
>>
>>50360199
I wish I had a group to play big games like Feast for Odin. It looks like fun but everyone I play with just wants something under 90 minutes.
>>
What's a good medium/heavier game to try transitioning to something a bit more complex? I've played a lot of gateway games and a few I'd say are a small step up (Puerto Rico, Agricola, etc), but I'm looking to try something a bit more that would be fun. Any suggestions on starting down that path?
>>
>>50360015
Zee spotted.
>>
>>50359932
I don't follow too many boardgames pre-launch. Usually I just wait for them to come out. That being said:
>Pandemic Legacy 2
>Dice Forge
>Dark Souls
>>
>>50360451
Legends Untold Kickstarter anyone?

Looks nice, and its reasonably costed.
>>
>>50360010
big book of madness if anyone likes harry potter or deckbuilders
forbidden desert and pandemic are solid
fuse or escape curse of the temple if you can handle hectic timed games
>>
>>50360010
Same shit here, all my friends want to play are the most cutthroat backstabbing games, and it seriously gets tired and fast.

Also everyone is pissed at the end of the game.
>>
>>50360010
I hate coop games, they just so useless.
>>
>>50360010
Space Hulk: Death Angel.
Dirt cheap, hard as fuck, and if it doesn't work with your group its way better as a solo game anyway.
>>
>>50360687
Death angel, arguably one of the hardest games to figure out, but also one of the coolest solo games ever... The learning curve is I don't et it/Now I do!
>>
>>50361028
How does it play in a team?
Whats the max amount of people you can play it with and still stand a chance.
>>
>>50359393
Mr Squared, You're a cool dude. You have opinions and you express them and I have huge respect for that.

I'll admit, sometimes (read most times), I type like I talk, some words don't autocorrect and I might be using words that don't exist...

As far as inclusiveness with muh womyns, I love them, ummm I really love them, but in my line of work I seem to feel a bit jaded due to the whole "attention whore" shit propagated "here" ( >>>/r9k/ ) . I wish it were not true, but my personal experience shows that many girls were raised by their parents in a "be cute and daddy will buy you that dress" situation. Meaning to say that some of the female population have a Pavlovian behavior pattern that seems to want to illicit a positive response from whomever they are interacting with.

Look... I had a GF for 14 years, she died of cancer. I had experienced many ups and downs (so did she,,,, trust me so did she), but I realized that compromise was one of the most valuable assets we as humans could grasp. The gender does not matter but rather the individuals' desire to feel included and accepted no matter what their bend.

Basically we are all going to encounter (randomly) individuals that don't fit our perception of a "good" person. We are left with the following situation - do we take a stand and say THIS, or do we allow the individual to have their right to be whoever they want and say very little or disagree etc.

I guess I've choses the latter, I guess because I have confidence in myself to be bigger than that (even though I'm only 5') and go on with my life. But like I mentioned earlier there are individuals that might need mentoring, people that have not had the benefit of positive people in their lives.

As far as Ladies go, I've realized gender does not matter when it comes to games, "when around others... never relax" and it's ok to make a woman feel awesome, they are beautiful. period.

And yes thimbefags need to start knitting.....
>>
>>50359747
I've played all of them except Eclipse and they are all pretty good if you're into that sort of game. Can you tell us a bit more about what you want specifically?
>>
>>50359701
Coup, Love Letter, Masquerade, Sushi-Go, Hanabi, Mafia de Cuba, Skull, Valley of the Kings.
>>
If Jaipur-fag is around, or anyone else who owns that game, can you tell me if the games insert will hold the cards once they're sleeved?
>>
>>50359285
>I wound up with the poker chip resources
>don't have the game to go with the chips
Why? They were a promotion or something I guess.

The game feels like takes elements from all over the place and does pretty well with them. At heart it's a empire builder, 3 out of 4 Xs. You have a euroy economy with area control combat. Accumulate special powers with the hero/wonder cards. You make temporary alliances and try to dick people over in trade while attempting to achieve your own goals.

None of its mechanics are unique, but I haven't seen them blended together in such a successful way. It's quite streamlined and polished.

Games I find it reminiscent of: Eclipse, Rex, Archipelago.
>>
>>50358346
I started using pizza sauce containers for shit like that.
>>50359141
Hmm so with StarCraft means I have two ungettable games in my collection right now.
>>50349371
> No reasonable person wants forced diversity. Really the only things we have to be on alert for are fuckheads messaging girls in the group with abusive shit, inappropriate aggressiveness, and perverts (some older single men are so deprived, they brush their arm against a tit while reaching across the table enough times without apologizing that it can't be an accident). When you see it, call it out. Like fire prevention, just because it's 1 in 10,000 doesn't mean you let your guard down

I'm from Poland and we aren't really big on the whole "gender equality" thing. Women are women and men are men.

So by western standards we're chauvinists pigs. That said... where are your standards USA?

Seriously is
> some older single men are so deprived, they brush their arm against a tit while reaching across the table enough times without apologizing that it can't be an accident
a common problem? I'm having cultural shock now because if anybody tried to pull that shit there they'd either be ostracized in polite society or had to shit their teeth the next day in less polite company.

If you really do have problems like that the whole feminism shebang makes more sense to me, although I think less feminism and more gallantry and chivalry would work too.
>>
Hey guys, Im thinking about getting Tokaido and Eldritch Horror. what do you guys think about these games?
>>
>>50359141

If it makes you feel any better it's not that good an expansion, CitOW is much better with four than with five and the big four play better with each other than they do with one of them missing and replaced with Skaven.

Which is something GW should have thought about with AoS.
>>
>>50361860
> If it makes you feel any better it's not that good an expansion, CitOW is much better with four than with five and the big four play better with each other than they do with one of them missing and replaced with Skaven.

I kind of disagree on the first part. I like the game at 4 the same as I like it at 5. In fact looking at how *tight* CitOW is I was surprised it works at 5 at all.

It definitely changes things up, though.

The Morsleib cards or whatever are they called are meh. Haven't played with them and can't convince myself to start.

The "advanced" old world events are OK, have to play a game where only they are present.
>AoS
?
>>
>>50361366
I have the game, and I don't think it will hold, there's like less than 10mm of free space at the top of the card insert, so even with penny sleeves a few of the cards probably won't fit in.
>>
>>50351413
>an idiot with no self-esteem
women in a nutshell
>>
>>50361710

Like I said I go to lots of gaming events and I have never seen or heard of anything like that happening outside of anecdotes on the internet.

If I rack my brains to find something even remotely similar the closest I've seen to anything like that was at a wargames club when two girls turned up one week wanting to play games (Infinity and 40K IIRC) and one of the historical grognards said:

>"We can't be having this! If my wife finds out that there are pretty young women here she won't let me come down!"

We all laughed. The girls laughed and one of them is now a regular, the only reason the other isn't is because she lives in another county.

There was a brief moment when he said it that I thought "Oh boy here we go ..." because I thought that one of the girls might take offense and go on a tumblr rant or that the floodgates had been opened to more comments but neither happened. Everyone just got on and played games.
>>
>>50361913

Age of Sigmar.

Gw have kicked out Slaanesh and replaced him/her/xir/it with the Horned Rat.

It's dumb.
>>
>>50359393
>But I know for a FACT that the gaming community would be a better place with more women in it
God no.
The presence of women makes men careful, and that sucks ass.
>>
>>50362123
Careful to wash.
>>
>>50359393
>It's certainly not the women in the video who need thicker skin. They of course knew they'd be verbally abused and get hateful replies, but they made the video anyway because they knew what they were saying is important.

Well unless they knew going in that all dissenting comments would be deleted and the comments section would become an echo chamber of "You're awesome!" which is exactly what's happened.

The video is completely devoid of any real discussion or substance, it doesn't say anything important. It's just dubious anecdotes that I'm not convinced ever happened, willfully interpreting people's actions as racist/sexist and complaining about things that don't matter.

Oh noes this game only has male characters how can I identify with them?! Why is that important? Why do you assume that I can identify with 12th century arab traders just because they are male? Why do you assume that matters to me or anyone else? Why can't you adequately explain why it does matter to you?
>>
>>50362081
The Malifaux girls at my LGS have had more issues with jealous girlfriends of players from other games that from any gamer at the store or clerk.

It's just tumblr being hysteric about everything like always and clickbaiters picking on the low hanging fruit. At this point sexism is like cooties in kindergarten, we know the girls bring it to the playground and really don't want to get it, but we've never actually experienced it or met someone who did. Because it's not real.
>>
>>50361430
They released the rules video for feudum and it looks less complicated than I feared, so that's good. A couple new big worries came up though, the readability and utility of the information on the board seems like it took a huge backseat to aesthetics. It also seems like there is little interactivity other than where the game forces you to for the sake of it, the "living market" also seems like a flop.

I may be canceling my kickstarter pledge and just picking up the colonists which is really fun but will have its own issues getting to the table.
>>
Who here has played Scythe? Is it worth $60 or however much it costs? Never spent that much on a game, but it looks good and I want something a little heavier.
>>
>>50363804
Yeah, it's probably worth $60. What do you want out of the game and what games are your favorites currently?
>>
>>50359763
I know what it's like to not fit in growing up. I was weird (still am). I had a small group of friends who thankfully didn't mind I was weird, or were punked by bullies into thinking they were also weird. They weren't weird, they were just nerds.
Later on in life I worked with kids over summers, and my job was to walk over to the kid all by him/herself and just chat. It still is the best job I ever had.
Now I'm not personally forcing women into gaming like it's my job, but if there's a woman who feels weird because she doesn't fit in, my job is to walk over, be friendly, and maybe she'll forget that she's not welcome by some of the members.

Also I don't know if it was clear but I don't work in the games industry so I have no real power in those matters
>>50361148
I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend.
And I'm sorry I got snooty at you.

But I think you used quotes and euphemisms in your original post to soften your harsh stance on excluding women, or to somehow lend credence to your opinions. I know plenty of people who think just because there's a proverb they heard once about a polka-dotted donkey, it solidifies their stated hypothesis.

Anyway, the way girls in general are raised doesn't change the fact that there are women gamers out there right now who just want gamer friends. Isn't that what anons want too? You don't have to look very hard, they're at the meetups

>Thimblefags need to start knitting
Lol no one ever told me what a thimble was as a kid, I just liked the texture because it was like a cheese grater for your fingers
>>50361710
It happened just once, and she only told me because her boyfriend wasn't there yet. She was definitely freaked out because she basically clung to me up until we got a different game going.
>>50362194
Though I haven't specifically looked, I'm sure they're getting heat on board game geek, a forum where they post publicly under their full names, and probably got several nasty PMs as well
>>
>>50362081
>>50362123
I've heard this "careful around women" thing before. It was from the most bland fucking dude, who tried to tell us we'd get slammed with harassment suits if we let women game with us or else we can't joke around. Meanwhile I don't think this guy could get a rise out of a toaster, let alone a laugh. He was awkward to game with because all his personality quirks eventually came to a head and we casually phased him out of the text chat.

I've pulled innuendo and dirty jokes at a table with girls. Like the anon says, everyone laughs. I think the problem is some gamers have shit social skills. In which case I was probably avoiding games with you anyway
>>
File: Newtoys.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Newtoys.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
>>50337680

Just received my Warriors, Skeletons and Orcs to replace the ones that were caked with paint in the set that I purchased second hand.

Just need a single goblin and replace the tomb and I will be all set.
>>
>>50365135

God dammit. Why on earth does it rotate the picture?
>>
>>50365135

You know you could've dipped them in brake fluid to remove the paint, right ?
>>
>>50365159

Believe me, I tried. God knows what kind of paint the previous owner used. They were not primed and it looked like a combination of enamel and acrylic paints.
>>
>>50365203

Holy shit. Disregard my comment then, I was being a dick
>>
>>50361781
Eldritch is a fun co-op if you're into the theme and don't mind everything coming down to dice rolls. Tokaido is fun but doesn't really have much variety or staying power, after several plays you'll probably never touch it again.
>>
>>50365993

Don't sweat it. I didn't include that information in my post. As such, it was a completely reasonable suggestion.

But I'm very excited to get it done. When I purchase it, I was mainly concerned about the paper components - the set I purchase was complete and in good condition (except for a minor scratch on the board).

Even the altar was intact, candlesticks unbroken.

But the minis were like I said: caked. I gave it my best, but I was pretty resigned to having to purchase others to finish my set.
>>
>>50365203
I'll bet money it was some of that nigh bullet-proof Testor's Enamel model paint. The shiz meant for painting plastic model cars. I had metal minis I painted decades ago with that stuff, and even DOT3 Brake Fluid wouldn't complete remove it all. Certain colors (like brown) seemed far more resistant for some reason.
>>
>>50367455
Can confirm, Testor's enamel paint is impregnable. The only way to remove it is automotive paint thinner, which will also transform your highly detailed miniatures into a puddle of plastic sludge.
>>
How to find other autists who really like dry, complex, euros
>>
>>50364488
The problem, I believe, all these anons have in parts.

Women don't like other women who are not part of the "group". The women who are already in gaming are gamers, and they want more girl friends, yes, but they want girl gamer friends not feminist activists and fujoshits.

The problem is game companies are pandering to the people who care about being pandered to for pandering's sake, like feminist activists and fujoshits. And so, female gamers become burdened by people they don't like and who are actively trying to change the games they like because the pandered don't like the games. The pandered don't want to be welcomed into the flock, they want to take over and overhaul it for THEIR friends.

I've seen a couple female RP/BG groups go from being a gaming group for women, to becoming a support group for women who don't even want to talk about games unless it's about how they're evil agents of the patriarchy. The local "lady planeswalker league" became a fucking cosplay group because the flavorfags kicked out all the actual gamers.
Female wargamers seem to avoid this by the mere fact that their hobby requires a steep monetary investment you can't pass as anything but playing toy soldiers with other adults and that just doesn't fly with college-aged wannabe revolutionaries.

On the other hand the girls that gamer girls would actually get along with because they may actually want to play a fucking game, are being driven away because of inclusivity as well. They play video-games, sports, do art galleries or attend writing groups because they want competition, brainstorming and critique, not grouphugging and safe spaces.
>>
>>50367455

>>50365203 here

>>50367455

Yes, there was brown on the scythe poles, also black as a sort of under cost on the skeletons for "dry brushing". I left the minis in for a while - the surface of the exposed plastic was starting to break down.

So, just got different ones off eBay. Its a little disappointing - I prefer to preserve old things like this. But, what are you gonna do?
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 300x450px
Inis finally showed up in the mail last week, and while I've only gotten to play it once, I'm a big fan. I really like how the drafting works-- it's the same cards every round and everyone only has four, so it's really easy to keep track of what's still in play and who could have what. Since nothing ever tables in 4p, you also have a lot of information from that. It makes each turn really different but still gives you enough information that you can think very tactically about the game.

Also I'm in love with the art on the epic tale cards, oh my god.
>>
File: FINALLY.png (5MB, 672x4504px) Image search: [Google]
FINALLY.png
5MB, 672x4504px
>>50337680
>>
>>50341138

God, I love dungeon quest. I think I am going to pull it out now.
>>
File: 20161123_192102.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_192102.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
So I got this from a kickstarter couple years back, mevand my friends play it when missing to many players for Pathfinder.
Any one ever try it, its pretty good but can get brutal fast definitely need 3 or more, with two it claims you can play but it gets rugged.

Its called Era of the Ninja
>>
File: steve-1010101-jerk.jpg (14KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
steve-1010101-jerk.jpg
14KB, 350x262px
>>50370625
The Phone Books are here! The Phone Books are here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aIf1YnbbU

All joking aside, that looks way to damn educational! ;) Glad to see that they finally managed to deliver.
>>
>>50370738
>deliver
These are proofs.
>>
>>50370773
>These are proofs.

[Joy redacted...]

<Hums Disney's "Some day my prints shall come...">
>>
>>50364124
I don't have experience with much bigger games, but I really like Puerto Rico, Lords of Waterdeep, and Pandemic. I wanted to branch out to something heavier.
>>
File: collectionsofar.jpg (800KB, 1764x1438px) Image search: [Google]
collectionsofar.jpg
800KB, 1764x1438px
Today is the day. Thanksgiving, I'm finally gonna try to get my family to play a boardgame better than Phase 10 or Monopoly. I'm gonna bring Codenames, Cash n Guns, and thinking maybe Ticket to Ride.
>>
>>50368678
bump on this

asking for a friend
>>
>>50372911
can i come over and play seafall
>>
>>50372934
Go to bed, Ben
>>
>>50361327

There's nothing common to them really; I'm just looking for a good game in a genre I enjoy.
4x, space-themed mini combat type games, and 1vAll dungeon crawlers in the <$150 CAD price range, basically...
>>
>>50372909
It might not be as heavy as you're expecting. It's Probably 90-120 minutes tops and while it does have a lot of asymmetry, combat is simple, you don't have a huge amount of choice for different actions, and there are very few fringe cases. It's a great game because it feels heavy but it's pretty good for people who mostly play lighter fare as well.
>>
>>50373218
Would you recommend something else for me?
>>
I've seen a lot of people talking about Descent in this thread, I was thinking of buying it to freshen up my game collection, seeing as it consists of only everyone vs everyone games.

Can I get some overall views on the game, any games that do it the same or better, and would you personally recommend it for new players to board gaming and these type of games in general.
>>
>>50349465
>All these stories I hear, yet I'm never there to see them first hand.

Really makes you think :^)
>>
I'm seeing The Others: 7 Sins for ~70$ on Amazon.

Is it a different version from the KS? because the KS was 90$.

Did it see a price drop?
>>
>>50372963
Forbidden Stars is interesting for the fact that each of the races plays with different strengths and weaknesses.

Eclipse can be played with all human factions (all the same) or with alien races (which each have different starting stats / advantages). Early game tends to play like a Euro with each player exploring / exploiting systems for resources and building out their fleets without the need to go player vs player. The last 2 or 3 turns tend to play out like a war game with each side looking to strike others nearby for final advantage by the end of the game.
>>
File: Level 7 Omega Protocol Map.jpg (87KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
Level 7 Omega Protocol Map.jpg
87KB, 640x350px
>>50373925
I have not played Descent myself so we're clear on this. However the most common complaint from those who have played a lot of Descent is that it has a strong tendency to devolve into a 'race game'. The players don't really explore the dungeon but 'race' to complete the main objectives a.s.a.p. instead and the controller races to block them.

If you're looking for a Dungeon Crawler style game specifically you might look at the D&D series like "Wrath of Ashardalon". (1-5 players)

If you're looking for a 1 vs many style game - check out 'Level 7 Omega Protocol' - it is a solid sci-fi shooter team game. My only comment on it is, if the Controller really focus fires on one player at a time (knocking down / killing each in turn) it can become less fun. If the Controller plays the 'alien / mutant' enemies in a manner fitting their respective intelligence levels (some spaz, some very very smart) then it's a blast for the team as well as the controller and can still be very challenging. (1 controller & 1 - 5 players)

There's also Gears of War from FFG. While it is out of print (sadly) it is a fantastic co-op game for 1 - 4 players. There's no controller, all enemy actions are driven by a deck of cards, and depending on the scenario they can be damn tough. The players each have a hand of cards. These cards are *both* their potential actions AND their health points. Players are forced to spend them wisely. The game rewards aggressive team play, and has low down time as players have the ability to play cards and assist / take extra actions during another player's turn. (This is a game that I really wish FFG had come out with additional full expansions - i.e. new characters / tiles / and minis.) There is a small expansion set for the core game - new cards only.
>>
>>50372911
I can't believe you wouldn't get them to play Cosmic Encounter, or better yet Mansions of Madness as their introduction to something other than Monopoly...

Ticket to Ride isn't a bad idea at all for an intro to more appealing board games.

>>50372934
>can i come over and play seafall

He's only *visiting* his family, NOT moving back in with them for the next decade...
>>
>>50372911
With a few exceptions, most of the games in your collection are good for non gamers. Sushi Go, Bang! Dice, Small World, Flash Point, Spyfall, Mysterium would be good family fun too.
>>
>>50375016
I want to test the waters a bit. One thing I know to avoid with my parents is something involving too much reading. Even Codenames has me a little worried, but should hopefully be fine.
>>50375255
Yeah, not gonna lie. I tend to gravitate towards simple fun games. Enough of my friends are heavy gamers, so they tend to turn to me to look for simpler stuff. Gonna try Mysterium and others around Christmas time if this is a success. Was really tempted to start with Mysterium but worried it would be too strange of a rule set to start with.
>>
>>50374956
Level 7 & Gear of War, While they seem nice are not an option since shipping costs almost as much as the game to my country, maybe if someone I know is coming over from the US I'll have them bring it with them, they do seem nice.

I remember watching Legend of Drizzit reviews, and not liking it at all.

What you said about Decent isn't necessarily bad, while the RPG element is important, I don't want a strictly RPG game, I want some thinking to be involved, not just walking along throwing dice while the cards tell me a story, and Descent seems to offer some sort of strategic depth.

I'll try out Descent and if we like it, maybe ill get one of the others.
>>
>>50374956
>>50375891
I just checked both of them, they are very expensive!

Are they kickstart games or OOP?
>>
File: 1265661.png (657KB, 853x431px) Image search: [Google]
1265661.png
657KB, 853x431px
Am I a huge pleb for really liking Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu? I know I'm late, but it has been a flavor of the month easily
>>
>>50376412
What made you like it? I was interested in it for the theme but for some reason I wasn't quite sold on it.
>>
>>50374826

Thanks anon! I think I'll pick up Forbidden Stars for now solely because my friends really liked the God differences in Chaos in the Old World and I also thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>50378231
> if you like
Forbidden Stars
> and
Chaos in the Old World
> you might also like
StarCraft
Kemet
>>
File: louisxiv.jpg (85KB, 711x1024px) Image search: [Google]
louisxiv.jpg
85KB, 711x1024px
Should I get Castles of Burgundy or pic?
>>
>>50378283

My brother and I own Starcraft already (tl;dr had the opportunity to buy a complete copy for $30 and both wanted it so we just split the box). I wasn't previously aware of Kemet so I'll look into that too, thanks again.
>>
>>50378329
If you have the base game and don't have the expansion also try to get that. It's completely worth getting: new units, new mechanic (leadership cards), scenarios.
>>
>>50376387
Only gears of war is OOP among those.
>>
Is there any reason to ever suspect the price of Scythe dropping below $60 in a major sale/after the next reprint? I've seen it dip under that to around $50-$55, but I was just curious if it's realistic for a game like that to ever get there again/go even lower in the next month.
>>
>>50372911
>About to offer to play boardgames
>Brother got You Don't Know Jack
>Was never very amused by that series
>Mom puts up trailer and they pull the typical "Boardgames are BORING" joke
>Gets a laugh outta the room
>Embarrassingly hide the boardgames I brought
>Tell brother I brought boardgames I was hoping to play
>"We can play them after, I thought I'd pull out something our parents could play"
>He's convinced they would never be able to learn a real boardgame

Well I'm depressed now.
>>
>>50379532
If it makes you feel better, I used to play D&D with my grandmother.

(Yeah I know that doesn't help, I like to be cruel from time to time. But hey you won't know if you don't even try.)
>>
>>50378884
Get a used copy my dude
>>
>>50378314
Cob is a modern classic

Both are great though
>>
File: image.jpg (261KB, 900x682px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261KB, 900x682px
Who else is hyped for new Citadels?
>>
>>50380239
WE
>>
>>50380239
WUZ
>>
>>50380294

SCHOLARS ASSASSINS EMPERORS ARTISTS N SHIEEET
>>
>>50380307
EMPRAHS > KANGS
>>
>>50380336
The above comments are puzzling
>>
>>50380239
I don't care for the new art
>>
My local store is doing some discounts and I wanted to get a deck building game.
They have Dominion 2nd Edition and the DC deck building game.
Dominion seems a bit Bland visually but I often see people recommending it. Me and my brother are into DC comics so I was leaning towards that one but I hear that the game is pretty simple. I wanted to know how much replay value they offer and do they play well with 3-4 players?
>>
>>50380549
Apparently, there's a pan-african revisionist movement that believes the ruling class in bronze age Egypt and Mesopotamia was black, that the original jews were black, that the people who migrated and established the first chinese dynasties were black, and so on.
There are some videos about some very loud and obnoxious individuals "preaching" in the US, basically harassing passersby about how they're oppressed by The Man, and how they're fated to rule again, because WE WUZ KANGS AND SHIET. DAS RIGHT!
>>
>>50381299
That's called afrocentrism and it's been around since the 80's, open yr 3rd eye
>>
>>50381299
Ok

You know it is a fantasy game not historical right? Maybe the game is just set in an alternate reality france where the muslim conquests were sucessful?
>>
>>50380674
The Dc game is really not great if you dont like the IP. Dominion is a bland classic - it's hard for new players to understand the strategy, like chess - but there is a huge amount of it.
>>
>>50381560
Then why isn't the game about that
The game isn't complex or deep enough to justify an alt history
>>
>>50380239
Not really impressed with the new artwork at all. Game is great, but that art is seriously vying for the 'It's a Saturday Morning cartoon series' award.
>>
>>50380092
What if I'm autistic about always buying new?
>>
>>50383104
Then open your wallet and your anus, the games will follow.
>>
>>50383104
Inject yourself with virulent measles mumps and rubela to counter the autism at it's cause.
>>
>>50383104
Start selling plasma because this hobby isn't getting any cheaper despite the components being easier than ever to make.
>>
>>50383367
This is what saddens me about my new BG hobby.

But does anyone have a brief summary of how BG pricing works? Are there seasonal sales/price hikes? Certain games whose prices flow up and down in some semi-regular fashion? Looking at the history on CamelCamelCamel it seems somewhat unpredictable to my untrained eye.
>>
>>50381491
I live in a country with under 1% of black population, up til a couple years ago I had no idea this even existed. No one here wants to "go back to their roots".
>>
>>50383410
Supply and demand, free market, random price hikes at the publisher's discretion, scalpers fuck the collectors who are willing to pay ludicrous amounts of cash for OOP stuff.
There are usually sales around Essen and GenCon, Thanksgiving, Christmas and a couple other events; unless the game is between print runs, stock runs low, game has a limited production, or is collector stuff, prices are mostly stable year-round. Until Asmodee decides the new edition is worth 30% more than the previous.
>>
>>50383642
If your country is under 1% Black chances are you're at your roots
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent 2-4 player board game that has tons of replay value?

Spending Christmas with just my gf and I'm looking for a fun game to buy her that we can play together but also be just as fun when we have friends over.
>>
>>50383940
Gonna need more info than that.

What games do you like? What kind of game do you want? (thematically, lengthwise, seriousness, etc.)
>>
Can someone make an argument for/against Cry Havoc?

I'm still doing a little research on the game, but I've heard a few over the top things about it (including overwhelming Dice Tower support) and wonder what's the big fuss.
>>
>>50383940
Any of GMT's COIN series
>>
>>50384163
It's shit for reasons outlined here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE&t=6s
>>
>>50383940
To me that would be Pandemic with expansions (you don't need the expansions at first but they add a lot of replayability by varying game modes and fine tuning difficulty). I don't tire of it at all, and while I prefer to play it with 3-4 players for social reasons, it plays very well at two players if you pick your roles carefully.
>>
New thread soon?
>>
Kingdom Death 1.5 Kickstarter is live.
>>
>>50385352
>i can get KDM for $200
>people kept saying $400
Reeeeeally considering this.
>>
>>50385417
You could always sell it for scalper prices later.
>>
>>50385417
>estimated delivery
>december 2020
Jesus.
>>
>>50385474
>Wave 1 - Estimated Delivery Summer 2017
Core Game / 1.4 Update Pack

>Wave 2 - Estimated Delivery Spring 2018
Gambler's Box, Promo and cross-over figures

>Wave 3 - Estimated Delivery Spring 2019
New Expansions

>Wave 4 & Beyond - Estimated Delivery Winter 2020
???
Even I don't know for 100% what may happen during this campaign.
>>
>>50385520
Oh, good, thank you.
Managed to get that Black Friday core box pledge.
>>
>>50385474
I was just about to post something to that effect.

Also
>see first page of comments
>oldest comment was 3 minutes ago
That guy won't get any sleep in the next week, will he?
>>
>>50385570
Got the Black Friday Gold, shit was gone in minutes.
>>
>>50385617
All stretch goals reached in the first 5 minutes.
>>
>>50385731
Fuuuuuuuuuuck!
Wish I had enough cash to make a pledge.
>>
>>50385731
When did it start? I mean shit, he's getting a new backer every second right now.
>>
>>50385769
It's up for more than a month, that should be more than enough time for anyone to scrape together $250, especially with all the holiday jobs.
>>
>>50385780
80 minutes ago
>>
Could someone give me a refresher about the miniatures in this game? You're supposed to switch out parts every time you change your equipment or something? Would it be practical for multiple game groups to share a single box?

Are there permanent changes like in Legacy games that prevent replayability? How do you track your settlement and character statuses between sessions?

I've been wanting to try this game since the first campaign, and I don't even care about the miniatures (they do look awesome but I don't really care), I just really like the theme and mechanics I've seen. But I can't spend this much money on a board game that I'm not even sure whom I would play with. If I can find another local group who would split the cost, though, maybe...
>>
>>50386203
IDK the first point, but it's kinda like a TRPG or a hex-and-chit wargame, all permanent changes are done to a ream of character/settlement charts.
>>
>>50386203
>But I can't spend this much money on a board game that I'm not even sure whom I would play with.
You can if you know you can scalp it at a profit, which you know you can.
>>
>>50386203
There's several armor suits you can obtain depending on the bosses you kill, and there's a miniature for each of the 4 survivor PCs for each of the armor sets available, so on the base box you get 20 PC miniatures, each with their own set of armor. Changes are just aesthetic, and 1 character may or may not be wearing every item on the armor set, you write that up on each character's sheet.

You play a full campaign that takes several sessions (aka lantern years) and may span several generations of PCs, which age and die regularly. Changes are not permanent a la Legacy, so you can play all the campaigns you want. You do your bookkeeping on special character and settlement note pads.

As for practicality, sure, you can divide the cost between your game group, but I know I'd want all those sweet minis for myself.
>>
>>50337680
New thread
>>50386499
>>50386499
>>50386499
>>50386499
>>50386499
>>
>>50383977
We've played some sherlock holmes game which we loved but it was very lengthy and even then we didn't manage to complete half the tasks it asked of us.

I wanted to buy munchkin but it's aimed towards at least 3 people. Been eyeing up both Agricola, Takenoko and Carcassonne at the moment but I dunno, I want something similar to munchkin where it's funny and also you can fuck over one another.
>>
>>50384176
What? I don't speak in board game acronymns
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.