[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Time Playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 891221901.jpg (55KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
891221901.jpg
55KB, 320x240px
What are some good character archetypes for beginners?

>finally found a group
>GURPS 4e supernatural mystery adventure set in 1900, 140/50 CP
>realize I'm completely lost and don't even know what I want to play
>the system rules aren't helping

This is not a GURPS thread, I'm asking for general advice and ideas. Thanks in advance
>>
>>50335461
Cute bait my friend, too obvious though.

Try a little harder next time.
>>
>>50335461
Above all else, be unambitious. Stick with stock archetypes, base them on an existing character with some slight twists, or make them a mashup of multiple characters. That may not be what you want to hear, but trust me, always having "What would X do?" as a fallback is going to be incredibly helpful while you're learning the ropes. If the campaign goes on for any length of time there's a good chance your character will evolve into something more than that, especially as you improve as a roleplayer.
You should also think about what you're role in the party is going to be. Find out what the other players are doing and figure out something that seems useful that the party lacks. If the other PCs are a charming socialite, a doctor, and an ex-soldier, maybe go with a circus acrobat or burglar, someone quick and nimble who can get into places the others can't.
>>
File: 1478979104169.jpg (83KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1478979104169.jpg
83KB, 653x490px
>>50335768
Oh yes, bait. Haha
>>
>>50335461
Aim for covering the bases of the roles, but diversify the skill sets. Assuming it's supernatural you want
Sensitive
Fight
Tricky
Face

And break those up among your various sheets. The dashing vagabond cum investigator might do so because he desperately wishes to remove a curse from himself. The eldritch trinket that gives him the ability to talk to spirits also accosts him perpetually with whispering voices.
Or the down on his luck soldier with a missing eye might be a crack shot, but also a tricky bugger when it comes to picking locks and working with machines (from his time in the colonies)
>>
>>50335461
Journalist looking for a scoop
Academic obsessed with something in his research
Tough guy looking for answers about something in his past

First things first set take 25 points. spend these on things that your character has because they're a human being, not because they're a PC. His school education, that savoire faire skill or whatever it's called about how to act in certain social circles, his unremarkable baseline.

After that make a list of anything he needs because of his actual heroics. Start with taking his relevant attributes up to 12. Any skills, invest one point each, any stand out advantages take them as well though for simplicity sake you may want to stick with a normal human with no special talents until you've more experience with the system.
Prioritise skills from this list and add to them based on how much your character uses them.

Disadvantages should be considered later unless you've got something in mind as a major character component like an addiction or secret/enemies.

The best thing to do is compartmentalise. That 25 point thing is just a houserule my GM always used but it helps to firstly decrease the number you have to spend on hero things and fleshes the character out as an actual person with hobbies and a past rather than some kind of vat-grown investigationbot.
>>
>>50335461
It's a generic system. Just think of a character concept and background and have one of the veteran players help you with a build.
>>
>>50335461
Did the GM give you some supplement book to read? It veeery likely talks about a bunch of character concepts and has some ready to use templates.

Otherwise if you don't mind hunting random books, there's a list of all GURPS templates here, maybe you'll find something that fits. Most would likely need a bit of adaptation, though. http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Templates

Or look for a class system and see if you can adapt something and can figure out a personality that fits.
>>
>>50335461
>supernatural mystery adventure set in 1900
>easy character archetypes

Just be a cop and tut tut anyone who questions
'is royal majesty or law n order
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.