[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NPCs and how to treat them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Hi everyone ! I want to talk about NPCs.

You see, I was told I have a peculiar way to use and create my NPCs. That is I create a lot of them. Like a whole lot. And apparently, most of my DM friends don't understand why or how I can stand making so much of them.

I currently, just for one campaign, the most important one for me, have more than 150 NPCs (of varried degrees of complexity and background development) spread out in three cities where most events of the campaign happen.

And this doesn't seem to be the norm. It's weird for me because I love creating NPCs. I love creating links from one to another, I love creating a believable society with a variety of members. And I also love integrating my player's characters to it.

How do you like creating NPCs ? Why ? How do you use them ? Is it important that they have a story and a personnality even if it won't interact with the plot ?

TL;DR

Discussion about NPCs
>>
>>50330634
I usually:
>make an NPC for the utility purpose, but give them a quirk or two
>if players like the NPC, i make them semi-recurring and expand on their character
>if players don't react, no big deal, they move on.

If those NPCs are important to campain or character i give them motivation in addition to quirks and build up their character based on how their communication with players go. If i think of a neat thing to add to them between sessions, i add it.

Making NPCs detailed from the start is excessive effort. I find NPCs created through a joint effort to be more believable and likeable.
>>
>>50330704
addendum:

However, when it comes to relations between various powers, i go full autism mode. I love geopolitical worldbuilding and i won't let anyone take it away from me.
>>
>>50330704
>make an NPC for the utility purpose, but give them a quirk or two

I get that and that's usually how they start off... Like

Alright in this society there is a need for someone who can make false passeports and ID so I'll create him because PC will have to deal with it at some point.

And then...

But wait, why is he doing this ? What lead him to come to this city ? Does he like what he does ? Who employs him ? How did he learn to do it ? To whom is he loyal ?

And then I write two pages of lore.
>>
>>50330770
Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. That's good for NPCs who are/grow important but doing it on every baker/merchant/town militia is excessive.
>>
File: 1479506494984.jpg (46KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
1479506494984.jpg
46KB, 500x418px
>>50331037
Well then I guess I'm really excessive.
>>
>>50331095
It's not a bad thing if you're having fun with it.
>>
>>50331095
Will you be my GM?
>>
>>50332081
I'm flattered ! If you're interested I sometimes drive quests when I have the time.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.