[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for tips and resources for a fledgling Numenera GM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: RPG-table[1].jpg (461KB, 2664x1640px) Image search: [Google]
RPG-table[1].jpg
461KB, 2664x1640px
Hey /tg/,

I decided to run a Numenera campaign with a couple of friends who have some experience with RPGs. The thing is - I've never run an RPG as a GM before. So I come to you for tips and ideas on how to prepare the game.

As it stands, I have a couple of concepts, scenes and characters that I want to turn into somewhat of a story, but I'm not quite sure how to tackle it.

How do you design or write for a session?
How much do you suggest should be laid out in advance?
How about towns or cities?
Should I write possible quest lines for each potential hub the players visit?

Basically, how do you organize your story branches together with characters and encounters?

For further reference, I expect the group to be composed of about 4-5 PCs.

Thanks!
>>
Bumpin.
>>
The final bump for the night.
>>
>>50322612
Easiest tip is to not play Numenera.

The setting is A+ shit, but don't try to use any of the mechanics unless you REALLY like rules-light messes. Just use the setting with a different game system of your choice that isn't D&D.
>>
>>50322612
Your questions are fairly general ones, so you could get really good advice from starting a gm tips thread. The only thing that differentiates Numenera from some other systems is that the players expend effort even when they aren't in combat. This means that investigations and social encounters will force them to rest and can be just as draining (though not as dangerous) as combat.

Anyway, I tend to have a general outline of where I think the players will be in the next few sessions, and more in depth bites for where I expect them to go that session. You only need hooks for places that players are likely to go soon.

As far as NPC's go. Just design the big ones, all they need is their level and one or two modifiers. Such as 'mercenary captain, level 5, fights as level 6, special move; cypher that heals him 5 points. Wants to make money

Cypher System/ Numenera is very easy to create encounter and NPC's on the fly because they're just a 1-10 number.
>>
>>50328160
Something else that differentiates Numenera from other systems is the use of Intrusions. If you have an adventure in mind that requires the PC's to go somewhere, you can give them experience to make them look at your rails. If you need them to go to a bar, use an intrusion and tell the hardest drinking person in the group that they're passing a bar, and it looks like a good place to wet his whistle. Keep in mind that intrusions don't have to be negative, it's simply the GM taking an active hand in the game's narrative.
>>
>>50322612
>>50328160
The biggest advice though, as a general bit, is to not get too invested in the idea that you are telling a story. Ultimately you're just designing set pieces for the players to interact with, this is something true of all games. I don't know how much of what you're planning trends towards 'you're story ' vs. 'their game', because you haven't told us much of what you're planning.

Where are they going to be by the way? Steadfast? Beyond? Beyond Beyond? Extra setting books?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.