[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Witch Encounter suggestions Try #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1479539048053.jpg (205KB, 1216x657px) Image search: [Google]
1479539048053.jpg
205KB, 1216x657px
one of my players characters is a witch hunter and we have a lull in game time for a few weeks, so I've decided to run a solo session with him where his character gets word of some witches the next hamlet over.

before i get to work i wanted to get some ideas from here since I've never actually had witches in my game before

(im reposting this from last night since it didnt get much action. I didnt see anything saying it was against the rules, if it is I'm sorry. won't be reposting either way)
>>
File: 58165790_p0.jpg (292KB, 800x1120px) Image search: [Google]
58165790_p0.jpg
292KB, 800x1120px
The ordinary witch rides up on a broom and blasts the witch hunter with magical lasers.
>>
The serial killer witch greets the visitor in the guise of a friendly but unremarkable 50-something peasant woman. she's convinced the villagers that her spells are trying to protect their homes from the awful monsters that take their children and animals in the night (ie. her in another disguise) so they're no help at all in identifying her magical nature
>>
>>50314673
How does the witch get her powers?
>>
>>50314673
How do you define 'witch'?

Where do their powers come from?

What is their Modus Operandi? What do they do with their powers?

What protections are there against magic?
>>
>>50319598
witch, woman who made a pact with supernatural entity for power (female warlock)

Likely up to no good like most moldy hags in the woods. cursing the woman who teased her or other such rotten things.

saving throws
>>
>>50320623
OK, what is this particular village witch's motivations? Why did she make a pact with an otherworldly entity? What kind of entity?

If she made a pact with, say, an arch-fey, she could be secretly stealing the dreams of the villagers and giving them to her patron to turn into soldiers for his armies. Not particularly dangerous, except that the townsfolk will have neither good not bad dreams and might be a little lethargic. She gets a lifetime of beauty and grace in exchange for the town needing some extra coffee in the morning.

On the other hand, if the witch is a cultist of Yog Sothoth or some other Great Old One/Outer God, then the town might be suffering from a rash of bizarre misfortunes as she leaks her patron's influence into the town. Suddenly dozens of children are starting to manifest the early signs of being a Wild Magic Sorcerer, all cats refuse to meow after dark, and no goat has pooped in over a month. What is she getting out of this? (What does anyone get out of a GOO pact?).

Did she cut a pact with a coven of legit Night Hags? Is she stealing and eating babies? Corrupting young souls to evil? Does she plan on eventually transforming into a hag and joining the coven?

Did she cut a pact with a powerful Lich or Hecuva? Does she prowl the graveyards at night putting revenants and ghosts back in their graves so they can't seek revenge on the undead that slew them?

You can't just pigeon-hole 'witches' as just one thing, call them a cheap skeletor/cobra-commander villain-of-the-week and prop them up for the players to use as a punching bag. You have to put some thought into your villains.
>>
>>50320944
thank you.

i like the idea these are witches are stealing their power, they found a spell or loophole that allows them to leech power from a demon.

So if the player wants to make things easier he can research a way to cut them off from their power, destroy the shrine they're using to leech power. or even contact the demon to do a buddy cop movie and murder them all.
>>
Any moral reasons?

>witch is using small spells to care for the cottage her and her senile grandmother are sharing as she cares for her.
>young witch just uses small animating spells to help cook and clean.
>old witch sits in a chair staring and has to be spoon fed
>occasionally says she used to be super powerful and scary
>>
>>50321110
hmm, thats up in the air. generally yes i have some moral quandaries, "everyone has their reason" sort of deal. or they even are helping the town out by giving them witch fire that doesn't go out or something.

But for this one i think i strictly want to help him get his murderboner off, witches will be clearly not good, maybe not evil like eat babies and light towns on fire, but definitely not doing it for the betterment of others.

i just feel i do the moral thing a little too much and that it loses its edge, every villain they've gotten face to face with has had a good reason they're doing what they're doing, or if the players killed them then it would end badly for others.
>>
>>50321036
If he has to stop them at all. What if they're devout to his religion, but using a specific magical loophole to strip power away from demons, helping their god by weakening his foes. They know they cannot be crusaders themselves, so they're undermining the forces of hell.

Or they're stealing the power of one demon to fight against the hidden cult of a more powerful demon. The cult of Orcus is mind-controlling a local baron's court and raising up an army of undead, so a coven of witches stealing power from Graz'zt is destroying their undead minions and trying to discredit the baron's courtiers. So the baron asks the local heroes to hunt the 'evil' witches harassing his court.
>>
>>50321428
I enjoy some straight up magic purge as well.

Recently played through Dishonored and the DLCs. They have some covens in there that live in the sewers and use nature magic in a very asshole way. How about some covens that are supplying the BBEG with support? Give him a little tie in that helps the party and main quest.
Are they digging up evil magics and perfecting it on local farm animals and their owner families?
Do they need to sustain their power somehow?
Magic tree that boosts their powers or they pray at he can burn/cut down?

Just throwing stuff at the wall
>>
>>50321671
I remember that DLC real solid add on.

Yea take some ideas from that like how Delilah could see and cast through effigies of herself.

Those are good ideas anon
>>
>>50321925
Delilah herself is just a really good witch you might want to take a little inspiration from, she was denied the fancy things in youth so now she gorges on it. Fine arts and dark arts.

Haven't finished two so I don't know if it stays that way

>>50321036
You could make the demon kind of like the outsider from that game, have him mysteriously help the player.
>>
File: 1473132989834.jpg (136KB, 682x809px) Image search: [Google]
1473132989834.jpg
136KB, 682x809px
>>50321925
I went high chaos for that playthrough. Helped me get in character. Daud might be my inspration for my next PC. Personally, he came off as the perfect amount of edgy that fit the setting. He did whatever he had to do with out it becoming a war against his inner self/demons/nothing personal kid. Just kinda went with the flow of society.

>Maybe a coven in an abandoned masion on the out skirts of town. Rumors says its huanted by witches but really its just a bunch of girls sneaking out to "cast a love spell" for some boy
>one night a "devil" attacks the make believe witches
>spirited away one of the girls
>bunch of made up glyphs and a headless chicken
>searching more finds a trap door to a recently used tunnel
>tunnel leads to a nearby forest
>forest contains real coven that took girl and plans to summon a demon
>>
>>50322290
Laugh worthy. The look on the mages face when he says the doodles are nothing and the spellbooks are novelty
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.