[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, I need some help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 1473960953284.jpg (80KB, 600x520px) Image search: [Google]
1473960953284.jpg
80KB, 600x520px
So, first thing; I need help coming up with some ideas I can do for a pub-oriented campaign. Basically, the players are going to be running the place, and while I have some background shit that's going to be happening simultaneously, I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas for what I could do in such a static location.

Second question, and entirely unrelated to the first; I'm making a tabletop game and I was considering making some (about 8) adventure paths for it, but I hate the way modules are set up in most publications. Should I go a design plan for slimmer publications that ultimately don't really examine potential instances of player autonomy (like said modules I dislike) but quickly describe a setting or potential quest that a creative DM can work with?

Or should I go with larger paths that instead focus on exploring various branching paths said adventures can take, and are more focused on nurturing newer DMs into better craftsmen?
>>
your pub is located in a city that covers the entirety of a small astral plane tied to the astral sea. it's a trade hub of astral skiffs, spelljammers, and other mystic craft filled with exotic traders, sinister slavers, and bright-eyed explorers
>>
File: 1478625393560.jpg (53KB, 460x614px) Image search: [Google]
1478625393560.jpg
53KB, 460x614px
>>50311441
Thanks for the idea.

>Everyone else
Thanks for the wealth of ideas, tg. Really holding down the fort.
>>
>>50313801
Okay, first of all, I have to ask: Why do you think you're deserving, nay, entitled to input? People will post if they want to, not because you asked. Input is granted, not deserved. I'm floored that people actually behave like this. Shame on you, OP.
>>
>>50311341
1st question: For a starting point: how about a brewmaster hears about the party's pub and pays a visit. He leaves the party with a recipe for a brew that requires some [insert level appropriate monster here] milk/blood/tears etc. It worked well for me when i tried to work this into my campaign as a starting point.

2nd question: Don't underestimate a party's ingenuity, there is no way you can prepare a noob GM for even half of the situations the players will come up with. Adventure paths that try to do this are frustrating for new GMs because they can seem limiting or "railroad-y". I think you'd be better off just giving a few plot hooks into a bigger setting description.
>>
Players have all been trained under a brewmaster who is a recently retired adventurer. He's exceptionally high level so he's got good word of mouth pulling in all sorts to his new pub, even old rivals and monsters attracted to beer and adventurer hubub. Quests would consist of tracking down rare ingredients (guarded or part of dangerous beasts) and doing social instances in town to promote the pub, stop it from getting shut down for health violations, etc. BBEG is the brewmaster's old enemy, a lich who has opened up a strip club across the road.
>>
File: IMG_2784.jpg (102KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2784.jpg
102KB, 1024x576px
>>50311341
The pub thing sounds boring as shit tbqh.
What is to compel the players to even do anything?
>>50313801
There's a good chance no one is responding because it's a shit thread you twat.
>>
File: 1462316711086.jpg (33KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1462316711086.jpg
33KB, 500x281px
>>50313916
Literally one of the first ideas I had. Was also thinking about trying to do a murder mystery, amongst other things.

So, you're suggesting not even going to modules, but instead just developing the setting itself with some ideas that could be used for campaigns?

>>50313889
It's a joke, anon, calm down. I'm not asshurt, I'm just surprised considering /tg/ loves to talk about 'comfy' shit all the time.

>>50313976
I'm pretty sure pic related is more your speed, weeb-poster. Got anything else you wanna add?
>>
>>50313889
>>
>>50311341
Well, the idea is to have adventure come to the players instead of players coming to adventure. Check out Deep Space 9, Babylon 5, and Deadwood for inspiration, those are good examples of stories where the main characters stay put and solve problems that are brought to their doorstep. Make clear to the players before starting the game that their characters may leave at any time, but then they need to reroll a new one - the focus is on the pub not the PCs themselves.
>>
>>50311341
So the owner is a tall, handsome, ex baseball player name Amsay. The head waitress is a smartmouthed, tough girl named Arlacay. They recently hired a woman who was abandoned on her way to get married named Ianeday. And every time a certain regular walks in, everyone yells, "ORMNAY!" But, best of all, when OP walks in, everyone yells, "FAGGOT!"
>>
File: 1365566154150.png (187KB, 1200x839px) Image search: [Google]
1365566154150.png
187KB, 1200x839px
>>50316492
>They recently hired a woman who was abandoned on her way to get married.

And yet, in spite of yourself, you've given me something to work with.
>>
>>50311341
1) If maintaining the pub is itself an adventure, I would highly recommend tilting the game from simple tabletop slightly toward LARP. No need for disguises or actual props, but have the room layed in a way people can get a feeling of it.

Dealing with drunks, taxmen, local criminals, protection racket, scammers, shoplifter, dealing in rumors, building contacts, managing supplies could make for an interesting campaign by itself.

Heck, introduce a less than honest side practice (illegal gambling ring, smuggling operation, forbidden cult) and you might have a blast out of it. Forget anything d20, however. Better go with something generic and adapt it.

2) Modules are off-the-shelves for people who are too busy/lazy to design adventures themselves FIRST, and sources of inspiration NEXT. What you're thinking off is halfway between a campaign setting and modules. Not a bad idea per se, but shouldn't preclude neither.

Could include ideas, politics, things going on, NPCs and their stats along with a few ideas for plotlines. Something for an hamlet-sized district of a larger town, for example.
>>
>>50311341

Make the pub a combination of Cheers, and purgatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiAah2IwIs
>>
An asshole wizard sends the entire pub to a demiplane and sets a horde of monsters on it. Players have to defend the pub from a siege while also keeping the guests calm and stopping them from rioting, getting themselves killed or trying to kill the PCs to appease the wizard.

Also have them fight a Beer Elemental at some point.
>>
>>50311341
You should check out tg's very own night shift.
>>
>>50311341
As someone who has written a few adventures for open table nights at the local games club, my advice is to go broad with it.

Give an overview of what the quest is about, maps of the area it takes place in, and stats for the major NPCs and monsters they're likely to encounter. The meat of it is what I call the "Prime Timeline" - basically a couple pages describing how things play out if the PCs don't get involved. Related to this, the major NPCs need to have descriptions of what the motivations are, what they're end goals are, and what they're preferred MO is (and what resources they have to start).

The DM reading the adventure will see that, on the Prime Timeline, the infighting in the city will get worse and worse until the evil cult reveals itself and burns the place down as a giant sacrifice of hate and fratricide for their god. If the PCs get involved, the DM builds off of the established features of the NPCs- the authoritarian Captain of the Guard will keep coming down harshly on dissidents, the idealist rebel commander will keep arming the citizens and carrying out terrorist attacks, the greedy guildleader will use the chaos to pursue his takeover of the black market, and the cult leader will continue to use mind-altering poisons to bring out the worst in them and fan the flames. All this will continue to happen until the PCs get directly in the way, in which case the DM will need to think, "As someone who wants to achieve X, with Y at my disposal, how do I proceed?"
>>
>>50313889
You make a good point. I'm not wasting my time on this thread any longer.
>>
File: 1476998362879.jpg (315KB, 900x1549px) Image search: [Google]
1476998362879.jpg
315KB, 900x1549px
>>50320351
>Replies Vs Posters
You either have a new IP every time you post, or you haven't contributed shit, newfag.

>Everyone else.
Thanks guys, sincerely; this has given me a wealth of stuff to work with and take inspiration from.
>>
>>50311341
>First question
It's a pub. A place of meeting for many interesting people. Meeting place for some suspicious or generally interesting group which has its own adventures/goals/agendas? Good or bad? Maybe multiple such groups, being a neutral meeting place for all kinds of occult orders or representatives of different religions/cults, gangs? Players may need to mediate, fight off/side with certain groups or work hard to remain neutral, avoid being collateral damage (one of the groups breaking the neutral status of the place and going after the other). Hell, you can go fully political, romantic, creepy or whatever depending on what guests will show up - nobles, fugitives, serial killers, students of forgotten magics, businessmen, politicians - and how they will interact with players.

Or maybe there's a gang outside of the pub which tries to destroy it/extort money/use it in part of their schemes without owners' knowledge?

Hard to drop anything particular since you didn't even tell us much about the setting.

>second question
Latter. Don't try to force particular style of GMing but some crash course for people who may choose your game as their introduction into the tabletop games would be good.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.