[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game system recommendation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I am the foreverDM for a group and have gotten rather tired of running D&D/Pathfinder one-shot campaigns when people fail to show up. I know that at least two of my players will fail to show at our next meeting which means it's one-shot time. Can someone recommend a good system for this, or as an off-campaign? Preferably something with a different setting to it. I was considering Big Eyes, Small Mouth or Exalted. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>50309742
>one-shot campaigns
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>50309742
I really like Strike!. Ran two oneshots in it.

I was vary of recommending it, but you seem to consider heavier systems as well, so it should be fine.

It doesn't really have a setting though, since it's a generic system, but on the other hand, you can easily transplant anything into it.
>>
>>50309742
Mutants & Masterminds. It uses almost exactly the same mechanics as D&D 3.PF, it's meant mostly for use with superhero settings, but it's point-buy(like BESM), so it's flexible enough to do just about whatever.

I will say, however, that it's an effect-based system. What this means is that the final intended effect is what you're looking at, not necessarily the powers themselves. For example, Super Speed doesn't give you extra attacks per round(only one ability does, and it's meant for GM-controlled NPCs that are meant to solo the players), so to do things like using insane speed to attack multiple targets in an area around you, you'd buy a Strike(melee attack) power with the Area(Burst) Extra, and maybe the Alternate Saving Throw Extra to switch it from Reflex to Toughness.
>>
>>50310171
Almost forgot, it's also usually meant for one-shot adventures, like old comic books and monster of the week cartoons.
>>
Wild Talents would work quite well.
>>
>>50309815
Just a campaign as a time-waster basically, something for when people don't show up.

>>50310049
Strike!? I'll have to look into that

>>50310171
That's a bit strange... I'll look into it. Do you know where I could get a PDF? Their website has a purchase link and a quickstart but that's it

>>50310322
I'll look into that as well
>>
>>50310482
There's an SRD for the third edition version. The navigation's a bit confusing, from my remembrance of it. I'll google around for some 3e PDFs of it.

http://www.d20herosrd.com/
>>
>>50310621
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/graveyard/pdfs/24933926/images/1369057289510.pdf

Found.
>>
>>50310482
>Strike!? I'll have to look into that

Well, if you don't mind me gushing a bit (since I do really like the game), I can walk you through to see if you'd even like it in the first place.

PDF here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2fuwd4

It's amateur as shit though. Probably start reading around page 90, since that's where the combat system/classes start, which is the main draw of the game.
>>
>>50310621
>>50310637
Thank you!

>>50310932
Thank you as well!
>>
>>50309742

If you want something a bit faster on the chargen and playing fronts, I'd recommend Savage Worlds. There's a free Test Drive/Quick Start on Pinnacle Entertainment's website. I just bought the SW Deluxe book after reading the Test Drive and it's a 25 page rulebook, has everything you need. It has premade characters for Fritz Leiber's sword & sorcery setting. But it can be any setting, from sci-fi to modern.

Probably the hardest or "longest" part of chargen would be the players choosing Hindrances and Edges, if they're wanting any disadvantages and advantages.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.