[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 33

File: sexualtension.png (864KB, 1261x704px) Image search: [Google]
sexualtension.png
864KB, 1261x704px
MTG Standard

Currently: SCG Knoxville

What are you
>playing
>brewing
>hating

Is Electrostatic Pummeler totally broken?
>>
EDH and pauper player here, been looking at standard because it seems like a slower and less solved version of modern.

Wondering what the format is like right now? Can it be played on a budget?
>>
>>50307424
Format is riddled with g/b delirium, u/w flash and some form of either r/w or r/b aggro

In my opinion yes

You can expect to win fnm at $100 for sure
>>
>>50307290
How is electrostatic pummeler broken? Hell, R/G Aggro with just trackers, brawlers and hydras might be even better.
>>
>>50307290
Is Electrostatic Pummeler totally broken?

It's a totally fine deck.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (17KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
17KB, 215x300px
Would u/g with electrostatic pummeler be viable?
>>
>>50308651

no, because the best pumps are in green and red.
>>
>>50307290
>What are you
>>playing
Grixis Emerge (I did play Rakdos Zombies yesterday but the deck is fucking awful against my shop meta and I just kept thinking 'I'd rather be playing Emerge' all night)

>>brewing
trying to work Voldaren Pariah into the list to beat Hexproof post-board

>>hating
RG Energy Hexproof

>Is Electrostatic Pummeler totally broken?
Naw. Bristling Hydra is way more annoying.
>>
File: 1470211476692.png (357KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
1470211476692.png
357KB, 397x402px
>>50308890
>RG Energy Hexproof
>>
>>50309029
thats essentially what it is though. it plays like 'what if bogles won with become immense battle rage combo instead of fancy pants?' the deck
>>
File: Image_9.jpg (39KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image_9.jpg
39KB, 223x310px
>>50308651
Yes it would, specially because dispel.
>>50308696
Green has enough pumps on it's own.
This deck was originally Mono-Green it splashed red because it could.
>>
>>50307290
Holy fuck are these the literal worst casters that SCG has? I mean last weekend was bad because Boswell is clueless and CVM just sucks but I can not stand listening to that faggot Overturf and Matthias "I only like a deck if it's a blue combo deck" Hunt
>>
fevered visions master race here, how does it feel to be on the other end of a deck full of pings
>>
I didn't get to watch today, was there any new deck displayed in knox or was it honestly just delirium and flash
>>
>>50311889
>honestly just delirium and flash
yep
>>
>>50307424
It's shit and already solved for now. Same golgari delirium from the previous set, R/W vehicles, R/G energy pummler.
>>
What are you
>playing
G/W Humans
>brewing
Nothing really, but trying to gather the parts that I have of a R/G pummeler/energy deck because I feel that someone at my FLGS would enjoy it
>hating
Jeskai Control.
>>
File: swaggin' little bastard.jpg (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
swaggin' little bastard.jpg
187KB, 1920x1080px
Bumping with this stupid fucking thing I made after FNM
>>
>>50314800
Standard is dead. Mtg is dead.

WotC will be forced to abolish the reserve list and start printing cards with the same power level as we see in legacy/vintage

And I can't wait
>>
What do you guys think of my shitty homebrew?
I've been having a lot of fun and success with it so far but I'm not sure how good it is quite yet.
Do you think it's good enough to take to fnm?

Creatures:
4 Aether Theorist
2 Aethersquall Ancient
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
1 Cloudblazer

Noncreature spells:
2 Fumigate
2 Insidious Will
1 Glimmer of Genius
3 Skywhaler's Shot
4 Revoke Privileges
2 Select for Inspection
4 Impeccable Timing
2 Pore Over the Pages
2 Anticipate
3 Revolutionary Rebuff
1 Silverstrike
2 Aether Meltdown

Artifacts
1 Dynavolt Tower (I intend to get 1-2 more of these)
>>
>>50307290
>playing
BW Fabricate. Some anons helped me last thread and the deck is doing a lot better
>brewing
either RUG or Jund clues, I think. Still in the very early stages
>hating
Not much, I suppose. I played a zombies deck and foolishly tried to fabricate to clear the board. My enemy just brought all the zombies back, so I sideboarded in straight speed/stomp and ended up winning the match.
>>
>>50316900
I tried to fumigate to clear the board, not fabricate.

>electrostatic pummeler
I think bristling defense is the real culprit here, electrostatic pummeler isn't that hard to remove otherwise. I wouldn't call the card broken, it mostly is just part of a good combo that covers a glaring weakness with a good card. If they didn't draw into said card then the entire thing is pretty easy to throw a wrench into. Board in some removal and hope you can counter or preemptively force a discard of bristling defense.

>>50308651
I don't see why it couldn't work,but what does blue offer over red? Your pic related probably isn't gonna do it alone.
>>
>>50316959
Maybe blue can use slip through space to replace the trample sources and dispel to protect pummeler? Losing voltaic brawler is pretty bad though, that dude's a champ.
>>
>>50307290
>What are you
>playing
RB Tribal Vampire
>brewing
Modern deck
>hating
Reflector Mage
>>
/tg/ how do I get my friend to stop being a scrub and realize that netdecks aren't cheating? He goes to FNM every week with his shitty mono b aggro deck and goes 1-3 if he's lucky then gets frustrated about it. I keep trying to watch his games and point out things that might help but also telling him his deck is bad and he needs to spend money if he wants to really beat tier 1 decks or good players isn't really helping.
>>
>>50318926
If your friend has more fun going 1-3 with his shit brews than he would going 3-1 with some net decked passionless shit, what's the problem?
>>
>>50319453
That's the problem, he doesn't have fun and the way I see it the reason he doesn't is because he gets his ass kicked by people who are better players, have better decks, or both. Becoming a better player takes time, and I'm willing to sit him down and teach him to be a little better, but playing a proven deck is the easiest and most expedient way to improve his performance. Besides, how could he know he wouldn't like playing a netdeck if he hasn't even tried yet?
>>
>>50307290
Who is everyone here's number one commentary crush?

I would destroy Ryan Overturf's little rosy butthole like it was Voldemort's final horocrux.
>>
>>50319720
Ryan Overturf is one of those people that I can't respect after reading his articles on Modern Nexus. He's such a gigantic faggot that I can't even listen to his voice anymore.
>>
>>50319595
If he's an actually competitive player, just honestly ask him if he thinks he can win with an objectively bad deck.
He sounds like he doesn't care enough about winning to drop money or time into decks, so just let him be.
>>
>Tune in just in time to see """""Emma""""" Handy lose
>>
Tranny plays: the episode
>>
>>50322132
>He won't get in on tie breakers anyway
>Chat starts screaming about how tiebreakers are transphobic
>>
>>50322182

I loved the part they called him a pro that yet has to enter top8.

>no real achievements
>show him every tournament anyway
>>
File: kek.png (485KB, 680x523px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
485KB, 680x523px
Srsly need help tuning my Esper Control deck. Threw this together friday for FNM and went 2-2..

How do I improve the deck to win FNM?

Lands:
2x Swamp
6x Island
4x Plains
2x Port Town
4x Prairie Stream
4x Shambling Vent
1x Choked Estuary
3x Sunken Hollow

Spells:
2x Anguished Unmaking
2x Anticipate
1x Archangel Avacyn
3x Blessed Alliance
1x Descend upon the Sinful
1x Dispel
2x Dovin Baan
2x Fumigate
4x Glimmer of Genius
1x Grasp of Darkness
1x Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
3x Negate
1x Quarantine Field
1x Skywhaler's Shot
2x Sorin, Grim Nemesis
2x Spell Shrivel
4x Torrential Gearhulk
1x Void Shatter

SB:
2x Declaration in Stone
2x Descend upon the Sinful
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1x Linvala, the Preserver
4x Spell Queller
1x Sphinx of the Final Word
2x Stasis Snare
1x Summary Dismissal
>>
>>50322316

Scrap the autism and make it UW or UWR
>>
>playing
4c reservoir combo. Havent had much of a chance to test yet, went 2-1 at an fnm and 1-3 at game day
>brewing
Trying collective brutalitys. I didnt have any answers to anything in the main, but they feel versatile enough to squeeze in
>hating
Anything with counterspells. Control fucks me up. Summary dismissal makes me a sad boy
>>
>"""""Emma""""" Handy on camera AGAIN because we're so inclusive xDDD
>>
>>50322660
>>50322272
>>50322182
>>50322132
>>50322012
Why are any of you watching a StarShittyShills tournament in the first place?
>>
>>50322660
jadine klomparens isnt fotm anymore lel

i mean at least fishtits, decheaty and spartz are actual women. granted one of them is a two-trick pony, one is in r&d and the last one is in 'coverage'.
>>
I think I finally understand the modern players

half of standard right now is delirium and flash

the decks cost ~$400, a vast majority of these cards (i.e. pre-kaladesh) will rotate out in about a year

there are at least 12 viable decks in modern right now that average about $840

so for the price of 2 of the best standard decks you could get yourself one of the top 12 decks in a format that has actual variety and not see your shit rotate out
>>
>>50323474
>R/G Energy is 40 bucks
k
>>
>tranny top8 despite sexist tiebreakers

How? I was off for a few hours.
>>
>>50323474
I don't know, man. I think the format's in a good place at the moment. Sure it's gotten just a little stale, but the top decks are quite fallible, they're not dominating absolutely everybody else.
>>
>>50324604
manhands ran the table for the rest of the event up to top8
>>
>>50323357
>fishtits

Who?
>>
I bought R/B Zombies, but I don't have much knowledge on the format right now, but they look fun. What are it's weaknesses? How does it fair against R/B aggro, which I've been told is rampant at my locals by a friend? A Kalitas or 3 from the side should fuck them up right?

>Forgot the Zombie tokens and flip card substitute for the double faced card right after ordering
Fuck.

>Forgot to sell CoCos that I was supposed to do like 3 months ago
FUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>50314800
>someone actually managed to assemble one of these
>>
File: 1456538819538.gif (429KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1456538819538.gif
429KB, 480x270px
Remember before Grim Flayer and the rest of EMN came out and it all seemed like a janky pet deck?

>30 percent of meta ls W/U Flash
>18 percent of meta is B/G Delirium
Every time I think it can't get worse it does. This shit makes Rhino formats look fun. At least the decks after the 30 percent Abzan was pretty diverse.
>>
File: Image.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
130KB, 223x311px
ITT: Mistakes.
>>
Rare/critique/advice?
2x depala, pilot exemplar
2x pia Nalar
2x propeller pioneer
2x iron League Steed
2x gearshift ace
4x speedway fanatic
4x veteran motorist

2x demolition stomper
2x Fleetwheel cruiser
2x ovalchase dragster
1x cultivators caravan
3x renegade freighter
3x sky skiff

2x whirlermaker

2x acrobatic manuever
2x built to smash
4x built to last

1x inventors fair
4x stone quarry
10x plains
10x mountain
>>
>>50329649
I miss Jeskai Tokens, that deck was so much fun.
>>
>>50331194
>That many 2x of
Why?
A lot of dubious choices there, too. Seems like you're going for tokens + vehicles, but if you want to do that you want to pack 4x looter scooters so you can crew them with drones. Ovalchase dragster feels like a bad Fleetwheel cruiser to me, I'd drop those. The stomper is too costly for it's skill to matter by the timenit comes in, and the steed is just bad. Since you're using W/R, you could also pack less battle tricks and more exile/removal. And 25 lands in an aggro/midrange deck is a bad idea. And where are your 1 drops? You could make this actually good for 80$ or so, but I assume it's a budget build? Of so, I'd suggest
Add:
1x depala
2x angel of invention
2x gearshift ace
6x thraben inspector + inventor's apprentice ( I leave the proportion up to you)
2x Fleetwheel Cruiser
1x Cultivator's Caravan
3x Harnessed Lightning
3x Always Watching/Stasis Snare

Remove:
2x Propeller Pioneer
2x Iron League Steed
4x Speedway Fanatic
2x Demolition Stomper
2x Ovalchase Dragster
3x Renegade Freighter
2x Acrobatic Maneuver
2x Built to Smash
4x Built to Last
3x Mountain

Now that I make the numbers, you had more than 60 cards on your deck?
No offense, but are you completely new?
>>
>>50331431
Mostly. I built the deck out of what I pulled in a fat pack and $2
>>
>>50331557
>>50331431
To clarify, the depalas were the $2
>>
>>50317481
The problem is that the trample sources also pump, which is very important for Electrostatic Pummeler. Double a 1/1 twice and slip him through and you've done 4 damage. Give him +4/+4 and trample then double him twice and you've done 20 damage minus defender toughness for the same card cost. Then factor in that red offers Built to Smash and the one that gives double strike (practically a wincon on its own in this deck) and it is hard to justify dropping red. You might choose to splash in blue on top of your RG but that might slow it down a bit. I'm super open to UG Energy Pummel but I'd need to see something more substantial than dispel and slip. There would have to be a really, really good reason to drop red and if you can find it I'd love to see it.
>>
>>50332222
Well, slip through draws you a card, and it costs the same as built to smash. I do agree that the source of pump spells being only larger than life and blossoming is pretty terrible, but nothing else on G really gives meaningful attack boosts.
Besides, I wasn't the one suggesting it to start with, I think it doesn't really work.
>>
File: Selfless_Squire.png (110KB, 216x302px) Image search: [Google]
Selfless_Squire.png
110KB, 216x302px
>>50314946
Nice Meme

98% of creatures played in Legacy are from the NWO.
>>
File: Can_we_fix_it.jpg (23KB, 391x366px) Image search: [Google]
Can_we_fix_it.jpg
23KB, 391x366px
>>50330702
What? Thought that we Wizards would leave roulette decks fall off Standard?
>>
File: 1345658286986.jpg (163KB, 1024x883px) Image search: [Google]
1345658286986.jpg
163KB, 1024x883px
>>50329043
have to assume it's jennifer long, a twitch streamer that plays pretty much just fish.

>>50323357
>two-trick pony
i see what you did there
>>
File: 1439359831572.jpg (78KB, 481x366px) Image search: [Google]
1439359831572.jpg
78KB, 481x366px
>>50329649
Don't even being to compare Khans to this Standard.
Meme Rhino is a mistake and you know it.
>>
>>50335055
I am and I'll do it again. Abzan was IIRC around 30 percent of them meta, but everything after that it was diverse. You had esper dragons, R/G aggro, Jeskai tempo, Ramp, UW Heroic, Mardu control, and others. Rhino may have been a mistake but the format was not. Especially compared to both Bant: The Coco and now.
>>
>>50335384
>Flash is IIRC around 30 percent of them meta, but everything after that it was diverse. You had Delirium, R/G aggro, Jeskai control, Aetherworks, BR Zombies, Vehicles, Grixis Control, and others. My birth may have been a mistake but the format is not.
>>
>>50308890
>Grixis emerge
List plz?
>>
I play RB, how do I counter Spell Queller and Reflector Mage? They seem like such a good play mana-wise, that no matter how I respond, I fall behind.
>>
Any reason not to build R/G Pummeler on modo? Seems to win enough and is cheap af.
>>
Lads, I am looking to get myself and my gf into mtg.

How do I start/what should we do/buy?
>>
>>50336437
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvqw7t0kbGX8f-uNgZJkzf1BbcrXvw1EF
>>
File: 1565498142.jpg (122KB, 675x426px) Image search: [Google]
1565498142.jpg
122KB, 675x426px
>>50336073
Actually, you can't. You should bait Queller into a less useful spell and then kill it with removal.
Reflector Mage is even worse. There is nothing you can do besides lick your wounds if your creatures are focused on Combat instead of ETB effects. Probably your best play against it would be to cast removal on him.( As it's hard to have a 3/3 creature on the field so early after the Mage's bounce) and keep hitting with the other creatures you may have cast before.
>>
>>50336655
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvqw7t0kbGX8f-uNgZJkzf1BbcrXvw1EF
nice dubs, thank u senpai
>>
>>50335510
The difference is that after Flash taking up 30 percent, you have Delirium taking up 20 percent, meaning half the meta is Flash and Delirium. Just look at the SCGs top 16. Three decks are not U/W Flash or B/G Delirium.
Additionally, at least Abzan had the decency to have aggro, midrange, and control decks. All ran similar cards like 4 rhinos, but the differences were big enough to have them in different categories.
>>
>>50334458
The problem with NWO is not that there's a power cap, because it's not. It's the stupid slow rythm at which powerful new cards come out because they're almost always mythic and one per set to force us into the booster lottery.
>>
>>50331557
Ah, I remember my first deck out of a fat pack and a few boosters. The world was full of possibilities. Deckbuilding was exciting.

Then I discovered netdecks.

Concerning your deck, looks like there's too many vehicles. I would drop the expensive ones in favor of a more aggressive strategy and more removal spells.
>>
So, a lot of the other mtg generals have goofy meme decks that they make for funsies. What's a dumb/funny/interesting deck we could make?
>>
>>50341027
Briarbridge cheating gearhulks into play.
>>
I'm confident that the problem with URx control lists is they aren't running enough card advantage. Take Inventory wins games, more copies of Glimmer of Genius don't hurt, especially if you're running Dynavolt Tower, one copy of Jori En doesn't hurt in the least since it blocks stuff and sits there vomiting out answers to the things it can't block. I'm really turned off the package of Lightning Axe + Fiery Temper though. They just don't do enough as a topdeck. I'm going to be testing Aether Theorist in the board though, as not only does he block 2/X faggots, but he gives me energy and scries like a madman, which is perfect considering drawing land later on will lose you the game.
>>
>>50339625
>slow rythm that at which powerful new cards come out

Again, Nice Meme.

We have a more than decent conversion rate from Standard to Eternal sets. We are staganant on spells but creatures have been power creeped to absurd levels.

The Top Tier Vintage deck is centered around Monastery Mentor from Fate Reforged, rotated not long ago. The second most played deck is CarShop, running 3 copies of Fleetwheel Cruiser from Kaladesh.
Considering that Magic releases sets since 1993, that's a way more like a power creep than slow conversion rate.

Also, if you're playing eternal, just wait till those Mythics rotate out. They will.be very affordable consering you're playing Legacy.
>>
>>50341512
Axe Temper package is not disavantage if you bolt a creature.
But even if you send it to face, it's still a bolt.
It also good with Jori En around, although I think that Jori won't stay long on the field due the lack of creatures in your deck.
>>
File: Grixis Emerge.png (324KB, 1589x916px) Image search: [Google]
Grixis Emerge.png
324KB, 1589x916px
>>50336037
here's what i was on. i'm waffling between this and straight UR. the lists are generally similar with the main differences being +2 Advanced Stitchwing, +1 Lightning Axe, +4 Wandering Fumarole, +3 Island, +2 Mountain and -3 Haunted Dead, -4 Choked Estuary, -4 Smoldering Marsh, -1 Swamp going from Grixis to UR in the main and -2 Distended Mindbender, +2 Nahiri's Wrath in the side.
>>
>>50341896
Haunted Dead itself dosen't seem enough to the splash. What about Collective Brutality?
>>
>>50342031
i was thinking this, too. i mean the card itself is generally great it's just that if we're cutting Dead we have to add more Advanced Stitchwings to shore up our recursive high-cost Emerge target count or we just end up being a pile of do-nothing and lose to everything.

i'm actually sleeving up Thermo-Visions for this weekend because i think people are going to start playing hard control to beat BG and UW.
>>
>>50341027
Motherfucking Tribal Gremlins
>>
File: Recurrable 10 10 for 0 mana.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
Recurrable 10 10 for 0 mana.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
So, I guess this is where I go to rant about Magic Duels. What the fuck is up with this Kaladesh set? Compare it to all the previous sets it blows them out of the water.

>Looter Scooter
>Metalwork Colossus (thopter assembly for maximum artifacts to sac)
>Verdurous Gearhulk
>Inventors apprentice practically a 2/3 for one mana
>Marionette master
>New Chandra
>Vehicles require instant speed removal in order to get rid of them
>Creatures with summoning sickness can crew vehicles

Honestly, this has got to be the most ridiculous set since Mirrodin's power creep. is it just me?
This set has pretty much broken the Magic Duels game. Are you all seeing the same shit happening in standard?
>>
EDH and pauper player here.

I'm wondering if someone can point me to a good budget standard deck, pref control or otherwise really interactive.

I'm also wondering, how cheap can two colour be for standard? Is it like modern where you need $300 of lands to be competitive with more than one colour?
>>
File: Magical Girls.jpg (852KB, 2304x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Girls.jpg
852KB, 2304x1672px
>you will never find out that cute shop girl from your lgs is actually a devastatingly powerful control player

why even play? just quit and get a new hobby.
>>
>>50343098
Standard a little bit. Aggro, especially in Red, has gotten a rather hefty boost. Red/X seems to be the color of choice for most decks thanks to most vehicle support being red. However the most dominant decks, being W/U Flash and B/G Delirium, got almost nothing out of Kaladesh. That said, right now Kaladesh did bring with it a lot of vitality. It feels like you can make a lot of cheeky shit work right now, so long as nobody in your locals is running those two Tier 1 decks.
>>
File: 1334117242003.jpg (33KB, 403x202px) Image search: [Google]
1334117242003.jpg
33KB, 403x202px
>>50343098
standard is 40% bg delirium, 40% wu flash and 20% X-2-drop
>>
>>50343340
>>50343340
>I'm wondering if someone can point me to a good budget standard deck, pref control or otherwise really interactive.
BW control was a thing before Kaladesh, not sure how strong it is now.
>I'm also wondering, how cheap can two colour be for standard? Is it like modern where you need $300 of lands to be competitive with more than one colour?
The bulk of the investments for standard right now are the mythics. If your deck is black for example, it's better with Lili, which tacks on 160. White should have Avacyn/Gideon, etc. Knowing that the money cards you put into standard are going to depreciate immediately post-rotation is the biggest hump to get over.
Standard lands are pretty cheap.
>>
>>50343808
>BW control

Cheers man will look into it.

And good to hear the lands are budget friendly. I can deal with not having one specific power card (Lili etc) but not being able to play lands at the same level of my opponents is why I don't touch modern with a ten foot pole
>>
>>50344580
Come to think of it, now that Languish is gone, it might not be a deck anymore.
>>
>>50344606
How fast is the format? I know in modern dying by T3 is pretty common. But in pauper only the fastest of fast aggro decks can get anywhere near that, and most games go to 7+

Where does standard fit in that?
>>
>>50344625
With how things are now, format is at least 6-7, which is where both tier 1 decks hit their main wincons (emrakul and torrential gearhulk + avacyn). Most games take a couple more turns to end after that.
Well, the fastest deck in the format can kill in turn 4, but it's quite fragile and not that good. There's also aetherworks marvel, which can make you scoop in turn 4, but it has serious matchup and consistency issues. So the fastest high tier deck would be W/R/(B) at around 5 turns?
>>
>>50344625
I want to say Pummeler decks can go off pretty fast, I think it has a possible turn 4 win. It's not strong enough to worry about though.
I play Spirits myself, more tempo than control. It tries to win by turn 7.

>>50344580
>but not being able to play lands at the same level of my opponents is why I don't touch modern with a ten foot pole
The five allied colored fetches are still pretty cheap. It doesn't cost much to put together a half decent mana base for one of the tri-color shards in modern right now.
>>
File: tiredofwaifus.png (480KB, 385x627px) Image search: [Google]
tiredofwaifus.png
480KB, 385x627px
>>50343398
>>
I want to try this new standard so someone has a good RG pummeler list?
>>
>>50343398
New chapters never
>>
>>50347897
https://deckstats.net/decks/75674/595548-r-g-pummeler
Something like this, you can change everything but the 4-of creatures and blossoming defense + a trample source. Some players like it with more creatures and less pump so whatever you want really.
>>
Will standard ever not be shit again?

It's been a 1-2 deck format for two years counting
>>
>>50350889
They need to print dem pack-selling chase rares, which will always lead to a 2-deck format. Why brew and be creative when you can just put the best mythics into your deck and win.
>>
>>50351202

Gee idk, but standard is literally a dead format and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

>Wizards pumping out weekly events like crazy just to get standards to fire

Looking forward to Maro's apology for all this
>>
>>50350889
that doesnt keep with the design philosophy, so no.
prepare to see the meta shift with Aether Revolt, though. both the top decks are pretty much all cards from last block and i'm fairly sure this is intentional for this half of the standard rotation unless they were planning on reneging the 'new rotation' all along to push KTK out quickly and go back to the normal block rotation. but yeah, expect to see format-defining staples out of this next one.
>>
>>50351225
>>50351202

How much longer will sales and events have to decline before they actually make MTG good again?
>>
>>50351295
Stop complaining. Magic is fine, standard is just eternally shit. It's an entry level format for entry level players who just get stuck and shark prices into oblivion. Anyone who thinks standard can be good doesn't fundamentally understand what's wrong with a limited supply of cards and a rotating banlist.
>>
>>50351381

That's a pretty shit way to look at it.
>>
>>50351295
when they realize that catering to competitive players confers greater economic inductance than randoms buying walmart packs.
>>
>>50351223
There are several factors in this:

1. They allowed literally anything as a legal FNM format, so stores don't have to run Standard events at all. Limited is super-fun and Modern has people playing with their pet decks that never rotate out, so why bother with Standard?

2. The price of a tier 1 Standard is $300-500, and it was on the high end before the last rotation. This put a lot of people off, especially for a rotating and potentially unstable format. This was made even worse by...

3. WotC making the rotation even faster, leading to the feeling of a fleeting format. This disincentivizes casual brewers. (They since hastily backpedaled on this and stretched the rotation schedule, even though the new system has some blocks in standard for longer than others.)

4. Cards like Avacyn, Gideon or other $$ rares exist and they will always be more powerful than any casual brew a player can come up with, discouraging people to even try. The bad feeling of pay-to-win is strong. People just play EDH nowadays anyway, where they don't have to have the "best" deck to win.

>>50351295
The sales of Kaladesh have actually been pretty high. They're now basically lottery tickets for the 1-in-200 grand prize.

And they are doing something with the Standard Shitshow events, which clearly shows they are seeing something's wrong. Hell, it even made me want to consider netdecking a budget deck and crushing some kids in my LGS. But then I slapped myself and realized those prize packs are yet another lottery to lose.
>>
>>50351411
People are always underestimating the percentage of all Magic players who are casual-only, play without sleeves on their greasy kitchen tables and don't know what a "meta" or an "FNM" is.

Those are the ones buying all the booster packs.
>>
File: tarmos.jpg (340KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
tarmos.jpg
340KB, 1000x750px
>>50350889
I've decided that after CoCo the Meta, 30% of the players decided that the top deck meta is the best thing ever. And won't play anything besides it. People who brag about not playing the top deck but still playing tier 1 make for 15%.
And the rest are contrarian faggots like me, who enjoy things forgein to Magic the Gathering, like having fun and deckbuilding.
>>
File: o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-570.jpg (70KB, 570x576px) Image search: [Google]
o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-570.jpg
70KB, 570x576px
>>50351735
>And the rest are contrarian faggots like me, who enjoy things forgein to Magic the Gathering
>like having fun and deckbuilding

I hope you also enjoy losing to the tier 1 decks.
>>
>>50351820
Say what you will, little Spike, I've pulled a few FNMs and a Turn 3 kill with my brew.
Can you say the same?
>>
>>50351820
See you when you sperg out because you lost to a rogue homebrew, Destin.
>>
File: old.jpg (29KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
29KB, 477x477px
>>50351878
>>50351871
I'm not actually a Constructed player (except for EDH). I'm just being salty because one can't just "have fun and build decks".

Last time I player Standard was during SOM/ISD, when I was crushing people with my disgustingly sweet Burning Vengeance / Lingering Souls brew. Good times, I still miss that deck.
>>
File: 1430792356204.png (32KB, 400x428px) Image search: [Google]
1430792356204.png
32KB, 400x428px
>>50351471
people are always claiming things without backing up what they're saying with provable factual data.
>>
File: Image-11.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-11.png
126KB, 223x311px
>>50352882
Not him. But it's probably true because of Wizards policies behavior. Their bread and butter are packs.

And packs are mostly opened by stores and casual players.
>>
>>50352882
Doesn't mean they're wrong or have to be disregarded just because of it, debateclub anon.
>>
>>50352999
MAKE THE CARDS INTERESTING

REMOVE NWO

MAKE MAGIC GREAT AGAIN

NOBODY WANTS TO OPEN '4GG 2/4 makes a poo when it etb'
>>
>>50354000
>4GG 2/4 makes a poo when it etb
But anon, you can't forget about limited shitters :^)
>>
standard sucks
>>
why can't they make RDW? Why can't we have Lightning Bolt? Why can't we have fucking SHOCK?

Why can't we have fucking Doomblade? Shit, I'd take Terror over some of the garbage removal in B right now.

FUCK.
>>
>>50354304
Come on now. RDW isn't exciting enough for the Pro Tour feature matches. It's all about that swingly, bomb-based gameplay nowadays. 1/1 Goblins don't sell packs!
>>
>>50354213
i didn't. you ever draft a well-made high/power cube? that's what i want limited to be.
>>
So how are you guys coping with the factor that this game is dying in basically every format thanks to greed and economies being shit?
>>
>>50354623
Eh, the last few limited environments have been very fun, and about what I want out of Magic powerlevel-wise. (Except BFZ, which was just a mess).

>>50354649
I am an EDH player and what is this
>>
File: scout jpg.jpg (589KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
scout jpg.jpg
589KB, 1080x810px
>>50354649
i have other things i enjoy doing with my free time

:^)
>>
Opinions on Lili in Grixis control?
>>
>>50355066
She's $40, therefor she's good.
>>
File: Image-13.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-13.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50354000
NWO is fine for everything except Mythics
Oscar-cards are shit and I share your anger.

>>50354304
>>50354430
>Hey guys make magic great again, give me a cheap streamlined brainless deck that borderlines no interaction and mirror play is a coin flip.

No, fuck you. You have Nerd Ape and a 3/2 for W, Savanna Lion, fucking Bushwhacker less color heavy, Incendiary Flow and Hotwheels. Won't fucking hurt you to splash a color
>>
>>50356634
>NWO is fine for everything except Mythics
The entire point of NWO is that it only affects the common rarity.
>>
File: Image-18.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-18.png
122KB, 223x311px
>>50355066
Useful if you can land her against control, and good to slow down non-vehicle aggro.

Otherwise it sucks, playing her on turn 3 can leave you in tempo disavantage if you're Quelled, leaving your opponent with a flying 2/3 stick and the untapped mana to protect him.
Cars will just run her by.
>>
File: Image-14.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-14.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>50356698
Well, commons are fine.
Thraben Inspector, Bloodbriar, Gearseeker Serpent, Reckless Fireweaver, Gurmag Angler, Hooting Mandrils, Sky Skiff, Renegade Freighter and a lot of common cards see play in Pauper.
NWO is very present in Pauper, and they compete where Counterspell, Bolt and Daze are a thing.
>>
>MTG is dying so hard they have to make weekly standard events to try and save it

Holy fuck I wish I could make this up
>>
I quit Hearthstone a few months ago, how do I get into MtG? Buy a few used decks on eBay? Buy my own packs? Just buy a shoebox filled with them?
>>
>>50357003
Beat up a nerd in a parking lot.
>>
File: Fleetwheel+Cruiser+%5BKLD%5D.jpg (36KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Fleetwheel+Cruiser+%5BKLD%5D.jpg
36KB, 223x311px
>>50357003
Well, that depends on how you want to get into it.
You wanna play Competitive Matches or just casual fun?
Casual you should check a Pauper or EDH budget brew and buy the singles from your LGS (one of the 2016 Commanders would be a good start as well), with Competitive I recommend watching XMage rated matches until you have a grasp of what you want and what performs well and buy into it.
Buying Shoeboxes is only good if you have a playgroup of people who aren't seasoned players and only want to have fun and nothing past that.
>>
>>50357003
Depends what is your aim or your expected playgroup. If you want to just play casually, buy the two new Planeswalker decks or any Duel Deck. Or a Deckbuilder's Toolkit, or a Bundle if you want to get your hands on your own mini-collection and have fun with deckbuilding.

The most popular and most fun casual format is Commander, and the best way to get into that is to buy any Commander 201X preconstructed deck and find some nerds to play with.

If you want to get hardcore and spend $300 on a deck, find a local game store and start studying the Standard metagame at mtgdecks.net or similar sites.

You don't want nor need a shoebox of shit cards, buy either preconstructed decks for casual play or single cards for a deck you want to build.
>>
>>50357003
One more thing. If you liked arena, Magic's version of that is called drafting.

and just between the two of us, it's the best way to play MtG.
>>
>>50357112
>>50357185

Oh nice thanks for the responses. I'll look into Commander. All I know is that we played some vampire and white decks which seemed pretty fun but terribly inconsistent in terms of win rate. Probably want to keep it fairly casual unless I fall in love with it
>>
>>50357245
For starting out, the best way to learn the rules and "fall in love with it" is the free Magic Duels game on [insert platform here].
>>
>>50330702
The real mistake was ever printing Eldrazi
>>
>>50357414
But I love Eldrazi!
>>
>>50357459
Congrats. You're a mistake.
>>
>>50357003

Just go buy a starter box. It comes with lands, semi randomly assorted cards and like 4 booster packs for 20 some dollars.
>>
File: pulls.jpg (298KB, 761x921px) Image search: [Google]
pulls.jpg
298KB, 761x921px
pulls from my edh consolation packs. i'd say these are better than what i should have expected
>>
File: MTGSOI_dbtoolkit.jpg (58KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
MTGSOI_dbtoolkit.jpg
58KB, 500x306px
>>50357866
Yes, the toolkit is a solid choice.

My friend bought that one back in 2011 to start playing and he built his first deck from the opened cards: G/r Eldrazi ramp. He still plays it, changed and improved, to this day.
>>
>>50357003
Depends on who you're playing against and how deep your pockets go.

What to start a collection and play with some friends? Spend $90 on a booster box to draft with. If you're competing at FNM, buy the singles for Standard budget brews you find online. You'll maybe spend $40 at most.

Basic lands can be acquired from your local game store for next to nothing unless they're assholes.
>>
>>50308651

No. Think about it, this thing does not attack or block a Smuggler's Copter well.
>>
Anyone have a nice Bant deck with Tamiyo? All the better if it doesn't include Gids or Copters, it's for FNM purposes.
>>
>>50329114

Kalitas you can answer with removal or name with Lost Legacy after game 1. Your weaknesses are Metalwork Colossus decks and other aggro like R/W aggro. Luckily you have all the tools to adapt to an aggro or control gameplan depending on the matchup.
>>
>>50361396
>Bant

Bant Flash/Troll-Control
Main:
3 Archangel Avacyn
2 Declaration in Stone
2 Tamiyo
2 Gisela, the Broken Blade
4 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Skywhaler's Shot
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Spell Queller
3 Stasis Snare
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4 Thraben Inspector

24 Land, use duels if able.
>>
>Spells
2x Anticipate
4x Take Inventory
3x Negate
4x Harnessed Lightning
3x Revolutionary Rebuff
1x Welding Sparks
3x Glimmer of Genius
1x Summary Dismissal
1x Flame Lash
1x Epiphany at the Drownyard
1x Confirm Suspicions

>Creatures
4x Thing in the Ice
2x Aether Theorist
1x Jori En, Ruin Diver
2x Torrential Gearhulk

>Artifacts
4x Dynavolt Tower

>Lands
5x Mountain
6x Island
3x Aether Hub
1x Westvale Abbey
4x Wandering Fumarole
4x Spirebluff Canal

The sideboard is of course in a massive state of flux, but the mainboard is great. Jori En is incredible against UW. I cast a spell, you Queller it, I kill Queller with Tower, I get to cast the spell again, Jori triggers. Prior to this I was running something closer to Dagen's list from the PT, but the lack of card advantage and Lightning Axe gutting your hand kept losing me games.
>>
File: 96501_200w.jpg (29KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
96501_200w.jpg
29KB, 200x285px
I miss you, my dear friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYnas6q3Sg
>>
>>50343098
Holy shit, another duels player, nice.

You're absolutely right. I spend about 80% of my time getting absolutely buttfucked trying to make older cards work in fun ways, and about 20% actually winning with Kaladesh when I'm tired of getting my shit pushed in. I've also yet to see a deck in which Smuggler's Copter isn't an autoinclude.
>>
>>50362370
Just play Aetherworks Memevel if you like betting your entire game on your top 6.
>>
>>50362228
Anticipate is much stronger than Take Inventory.

In fact, I really don't like Take Inventory. It really isn't worth it unless you draw 3 of them. I'd do 4 Anticipate and 4 Glimmers and 1 more Blue Gearhulk and just cut all the Take Inventories.
>>
>>50362397
>Anticipate is much stronger than Take Inventory
The problem with Anticipate I've found is that the deck isn't really digging for anything in particular. It isn't all about finding a Tower and it magically winning you the game, that simply doesn't happen. I'd much rather fish for the raw card advantage that Take Inventory brings. Aether Theorist solves the problem of useless draws.
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.